PDA

View Full Version : "The Wood" is in da 'Burgh

stillers4me
04-29-2007, 08:03 AM
Any guy that already has a nickname in college has got have some great potential!! From what I've read about Woodley, he's also called "the quarterback killer". Here kitty, kitty, kitty!!!!! :sofunny: Welcome to the Steelers, Wood! :tt02:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lXywtq6Wcw

msafford
04-29-2007, 08:31 AM
I'm definitely pumped about Woodley coming to Pittsburgh. We'll see how he fits in the Steelers' system.

ExtonSteelFan
04-29-2007, 08:45 AM
Me too. I really think that between Woodley and Timmons our pass rush is going to much better in the coming years.

Steeldude
04-29-2007, 08:48 AM
problem with woodley is he is rather slow. perhaps he would be better as an ILB ala kirkland.

steelersfanman92
04-29-2007, 09:32 AM
He is a beast I think he has a very good future

polamalufan43
04-29-2007, 10:37 AM
This might be the guy that I'm hoping good things will happen soon. He seems like the best choice in the situation that we had.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Jeremy
04-29-2007, 01:53 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he doesn't even make the team.

Borski
04-29-2007, 03:28 PM
"Got Wood? We do!" - hmm, mabey not a great slogan...

msafford
04-29-2007, 08:10 PM
"Got Wood? We do!" - hmm, mabey not a great slogan...

:sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :thumbsup:

too funny!

Rotorhead
04-29-2007, 11:59 PM
He may be a little slow, but is very good at the point of attack, keeps his eyes up to watch the play happen, good anticipation and good hands to keep the OL off his body. While it is nice to have a fast rusher, it is better to have a smart rusher.

Stlrs4Life
04-30-2007, 01:54 AM
In those videos, he din't look slow to me.

Elvis
04-30-2007, 05:31 AM
For those who are doubting this young man must know something the Steelers front office didnt.. I for one hope that he turns into the next L.T. .... for those too young to know who I am talking about... Lawrence Taylor the best pass rushing LB of all time...
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

memphissteelergirl
04-30-2007, 09:08 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he doesn't even make the team.

Your optimism knows no bounds, doesn't it?

83-Steelers-43
04-30-2007, 09:09 AM
Good read on Woodley. For the record, they interviewed Woodley on "The Nightly Sports Call" the night he was drafted. The guy sounds like a class act with his head on straight. I'm also liking what I feel he can bring to our LB core in the years to come.

No. 2 pick Woodley has right attitude
Monday, April 30, 2007

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

For a team that has produced some of the greatest players at the position in National Football League history, the Steelers have drafted only three linebackers in the first round in their 75-year history.

But it isn't that rare for the team to pick players at the same position in each of the first two rounds, as the Steelers did when they drafted Lawrence Timmons of Florida State with their No. 1 pick and followed with Michigan's LaMarr Woodley, a defensive end who will be converted to outside linebacker.

The previous time the Steelers used their first two picks to take players at the same position was 1987 when cornerback Rod Woodson was drafted in the first round and cornerback Delton Hall was taken in the second.

"This is a great day for me," linebackers coach Keith Butler said.

Indeed, Butler and the Steelers have done more than taken the appropriate steps to replace Joey Porter and improve their outside pass rush with the addition of Timmons, the 15th overall selection in the draft, and Woodley, the 46th.

They also have made moves to help ensure the long-term health of the position, especially with Clark Haggans entering the final year of his contract.

And, make no mistake, it's the most important position in the 3-4 defense, a defense the Steelers will continue to use predominantly in 2007, said coach Mike Tomlin. The Steelers have used the 3-4 defense since the early 1980s, longer than any other NFL team.

"They're capable of doing a lot of things," Tomlin said.

The Steelers did not get a lot of pressure on the quarterback from their linebackers last season -- Porter and Haggans combined for only 13 sacks, 8 1/2 fewer than 2005 -- and Timmons and Woodley do that very well. However, they play with different styles.

Butler said Woodley (6 feet 1 1/2, 266 pounds) will be used more as a pass rusher in third-down situations to spell Haggans on the left side. Timmons is a more versatile linebacker who can rush off the edge or drop into coverage, something he did with equal aplomb at Florida State. He will begin as a backup to James Harrison, a former free agent who will replace Porter as the starter on the right side.

"With Joey leaving, we were thin at outside linebacker and, quite honestly, we had to be better than we were last year as a pressure team, especially on third down," director of football operations Kevin Colbert said. "I looked at that as a personnel issue. We didn't get to the quarterback enough and that leaves the secondary exposed."

The Steelers, of course, will have to wait and see how each player performs on the field. But, if comparisons count for anything, the Pro Football Hall of Fame should start clearing shelf space for more busts of Steelers linebackers to join Jack Ham and Jack Lambert.

Tomlin and Florida State defensive coordinator Mick Andrews compared Timmons to Derrick Brooks, another former Florida State linebacker who has appeared in 10 Pro Bowls with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. After he was selected by the Steelers, Woodley compared himself to Shawne Merriman of the San Diego Chargers.

"I think my game, from the defensive end standpoint, is kind of patterned like Shawne Merriman's," Woodley said. "I'm constantly getting after the quarterback, constantly making plays behind the line of scrimmage. You have to know where I am at all times."

The Steelers became convinced Woodley could make the transition from defensive end when they attended his pro-day workout at Michigan. Also, they believe the transition will be easier because the Wolverines used a defensive package very similar to the Steelers'.

Being converted from defensive end is nothing new for a Steelers linebacker. The past three starters on the outside -- Porter, Haggans and Jason Gildon -- were all defensive ends in college.

"He's a man, a very serious player," Colbert said. "He intrigued us throughout the whole process."

Woodley is not only a different type of outside linebacker than Timmons, he is also a different personality. Together, though, they could combine to take the Steelers into another decade of linebacker excellence.

The previous time the Steelers found two starting linebackers in the same draft was when Hardy Nickerson (fifth round) and Greg Lloyd (sixth) were selected in 1987.

"I bring attitude to the game," Woodley said.

"I bring attitude, and I bring a lot of leadership to the game. That's what you're going to get out of me. You're going to get a hard-working guy who's going to come out there and compete every play, a guy who hates to lose. When a guy hates to lose, like me, he definitely has an attitude."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07120/782172-66.stm

Crushzilla
04-30-2007, 09:17 AM
He also played for a high caliber college program and is used to being in high pressure situations. I don't see what there isn't to like, he may not be especially quick, but he can still make some noise if he gets good penetration with his fundamental body control. There are successful DE's out there who aren't named Freeney and Kearse. You don't have to be a speed freak to be successful, especially in a zone scheme.

The Wood Curtain? Nah, that doesn't work...

Jeremy
04-30-2007, 10:09 AM
Your optimism knows no bounds, doesn't it?

Excuse me if I'm not drinking the kool ade on a Michigan lineman. They don't have the best track record in the NFL.

Livinginthe past
04-30-2007, 10:19 AM
The consensus opinion seems to favor Woodley not only being the better value player in round 2, but actually the better player , period.

Personally I think that one of these guys will push Harrison back to rotation guy pretty early in 2007.

Jeremy
04-30-2007, 10:21 AM
That's been said before. Look, I won't buy into a Michigan defensive lineman until I see some production on the NFL level. It's as simple as that.

Jeremy
04-30-2007, 10:26 AM
Oh, come on. Everyone knows a pass rusher needs at least 4.4 speed. You know, because defensive linemen spend most of their time running 40 yards down the field instead of shoving their way past people on the line.

But everyone is saying he won't play defensive line in Pittsburgh. A 3-4 linebacker, especially an outside linebacker, needs at least decent speed because he's going to be asked to do more than rush the quaterback. He's going to be asked to cover as well, at least in the zone defenses. All I'm saying is I would rather the Steelers have looked for a replacement for James Farrior than draft another project OLB.

coachspeak33
04-30-2007, 10:38 AM
But everyone is saying he won't play defensive line in Pittsburgh. A 3-4 linebacker, especially an outside linebacker, needs at least decent speed because he's going to be asked to do more than rush the quaterback. He's going to be asked to cover as well, at least in the zone defenses. All I'm saying is I would rather the Steelers have looked for a replacement for James Farrior than draft another project OLB.

The guy was Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year.... He's not gonna get cut...yes he played on the line his Jr. & Sr. seasons....but he also played LB in a defensive system that operates very similarly to the Steelers... Part of what I like about Woodley is his versatility...look at guys like Jayson Taylor, Adalius Thomas, Julius Peppers... part of what makes them so special is their versatility to move all over the front 7....Woodley has shown he can play multiple positions....that in itself should enccourage you

Jeremy
04-30-2007, 11:08 AM
The guy was Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year.... He's not gonna get cut...yes he played on the line his Jr. & Sr. seasons....but he also played LB in a defensive system that operates very similarly to the Steelers... Part of what I like about Woodley is his versatility...look at guys like Jayson Taylor, Adalius Thomas, Julius Peppers... part of what makes them so special is their versatility to move all over the front 7....Woodley has shown he can play multiple positions....that in itself should enccourage you

I balance with the fact that he's from Michigan. I hope I'm wrong, I really do.

Edman
04-30-2007, 12:47 PM
That's been said before. Look, I won't buy into a Michigan defensive lineman until I see some production on the NFL level. It's as simple as that.

So it's fine to say he's going to get cut from the team? Because that's what you said.

The door swings both ways.

Jeremy
04-30-2007, 01:10 PM
So it's fine to say he's going to get cut from the team? Because that's what you said.

The door swings both ways.

It's my opinion. Or can't we post our opinions anymore.

fansince'76
04-30-2007, 01:45 PM
I balance with the fact that he's from Michigan. I hope I'm wrong, I really do.

Yep, I'm hoping you're wrong too - would suck to see a 2nd rounder wash out. I guess we'll see in July-August. I'm hoping for the best.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-30-2007, 09:17 PM
I hope Woodley's first play against Cleveland is a sack of whoever thier QB is,and I hope he gets 4 more of those in the game just to shut Jeremy the heck up.

Steel Pit
05-03-2007, 04:39 AM

You're right Jeremy. He does look a little slow if he's going to play outside linebacker in the NFL. I would say that since he's only 6 feet tall that the Steelers are definitely going to list him as an OLB.

With that being said I predict that the Steelers have already decided that Woodley is going to have to shed about 30 of those defensive lineman pounds. That should speed him up a little bit.

I just hope that they don't tinker with him too much as they did with Mike Vrabel, lose weight, no gain weight, ummm, no lose weight again.

Spidey
05-03-2007, 07:09 AM
It was interesting watching the bits of tape of Joe Thomas on the draft show.

Showed him easily keeping the wood at bay in pass pro . . .

Then it showed a weakness, the wood getting under his pads easily pushing him back and disrupting the running play . . .

Gonna be interesting to see that same battle in the pro's!!

Jeremy
05-03-2007, 08:11 AM
I hope Woodley's first play against Cleveland is a sack of whoever thier QB is,and I hope he gets 4 more of those in the game just to shut Jeremy the heck up.

Note to self: personal opinions are no longer allowed on Steelers Fever.

Got it.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-03-2007, 08:38 AM

Got it.

Personal opinions are allowed,but your personal opinion was rather stupid.So I said I hoped he sacked the hell out of the Cleveland QB five times to get you to shut up.

I think the fact that you are discounting the guy because of where he went to school instead of things that are wrong with his play is pretty damn stupid,and I think most of the people here would agree with me on that.

Personal opinions are welcome,but stupid ones will get shot down.

HometownGal
05-03-2007, 08:56 AM

Got it.

Of course they are, Jeremy - this is a board of opinions. Though I don't agree with you on this subject either, I do respect your point of view. :smile:

I never base my feelings on any athlete on what college they hail from. A lot of people view players out of the Big 10 schools as the "cream of the crop" and as history has shown, when some get to the NFL level, they turn out to be duds. On the flip side of the coin, some go on to greatness. I'm not going to judge this kid because he was a Wolverine - I'm going to give him a fair shot to walk the walk and show what he can do at the NFL level. I like the kid's 'tude and drive and am anxious to see what he can do on the field. From what I've seen from videos and have heard thus far, I'm leaning towards him being a keeper. :thumbsup:

HometownGal
05-03-2007, 08:59 AM
Personal opinions are allowed,but your personal opinion was rather stupid.So I said I hoped he sacked the hell out of the Cleveland QB five times to get you to shut up.

I think the fact that you are discounting the guy because of where he went to school instead of things that are wrong with his play is pretty damn stupid,and I think most of the people here would agree with me on that.

Personal opinions are welcome,but stupid ones will get shot down.

Roeth - you are going a bit overboard here. Just because Jeremy disagrees with the consensus on this topic doesn't mean his opinion is "stupid" or holds any less merit than those who disagree with him. It's his opinion and he is entitled to it.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-03-2007, 09:05 AM
Roeth - you are going a bit overboard here. Just because Jeremy disagrees with the consensus on this topic doesn't mean his opinion is "stupid" or holds any less merit than those who disagree with him. It's his opinion and he is entitled to it.

I am sorry if I went a bit overboard HTG,but Jeremy,at least IMHO,seems to be becoming a trouble maker much like someone who was recently banned.I never once said he was not allowed to have or state an opinion,I just said I hope Woodley has a monster first game to prove his opinion wrong.

If I feel someone's opinion is wrong or stupid,then I am going to shoot it down,and I feel that saying a player (especially a 2nd round pick) will get cut in training camp just because of the school he went to is rather stupid.

But I guess anyone else's opinion other than Jeremy's isn't allowed on this board,according to Jeremy.

Jeremy
05-03-2007, 09:13 AM
I am sorry if I went a bit overboard HTG,but Jeremy,at least IMHO,seems to be becoming a trouble maker much like someone who was recently banned.I never once said he was not allowed to have or state an opinion,I just said I hope Woodley has a monster first game to prove his opinion wrong.

If I feel someone's opinion is wrong or stupid,then I am going to shoot it down,and I feel that saying a player (especially a 2nd round pick) will get cut in training camp just because of the school he went to is rather stupid.

But I guess anyone else's opinion other than Jeremy's isn't allowed on this board,according to Jeremy.

Huh, so saying I hope I'm wrong doesn't count for much. Look, we've seen high draft picks cut before when they didn't produce. I know we've seen a 4th round pick cut and I want to say we've even seen a third rounder cut. Now I admit that seeing a second round pick cut is a stretch, but it's not out of the question. The fact is both of the top two picks are going to be projects. Timmons was a convereted wide receiver and had only one season as a college starter. Woodley needs to cut some serious weight if he's going to play as a 3-4 OLB. To say that they're both going to make an instant contribution is a little unrealistic.

As far as Big Ten guys go, the NFL seems to be saying the SEC is currently the Big Dog among conferences. I'll still take a tough Big Ten kid any day of the week.

HometownGal
05-03-2007, 09:16 AM

I don't see Jeremy as a troublemaker - he just has different opinions on subjects at times, as I think most of us do.

All I am asking here is that if you disagree with Jeremy's or anyone else's opinions around here, to try to be a bit more respectful. Calling someone's opinion "stupid" just doesn't cut it. :mallet: You and Jeremy are both kick-arse members - let's not turn a simple disagreement over differing opinions into a word war, k?

RoethlisBURGHer
05-03-2007, 09:28 AM
Huh, so saying I hope I'm wrong doesn't count for much. Look, we've seen high draft picks cut before when they didn't produce. I know we've seen a 4th round pick cut and I want to say we've even seen a third rounder cut. Now I admit that seeing a second round pick cut is a stretch, but it's not out of the question. The fact is both of the top two picks are going to be projects. Timmons was a convereted wide receiver and had only one season as a college starter. Woodley needs to cut some serious weight if he's going to play as a 3-4 OLB. To say that they're both going to make an instant contribution is a little unrealistic.

As far as Big Ten guys go, the NFL seems to be saying the SEC is currently the Big Dog among conferences. I'll still take a tough Big Ten kid any day of the week.

I am sorry about calling you stupid man.

I remember us cutting Gibson,the WR out of Georgia...but I didn't like him that much anyhow and thought he was a bad pick.I don't think he's even on an NFL roster right now,so he must have been a bad pick.

Does anyone know the name and position of the 3rd rounder being cut ?I don't remember the guy.

But yeah,I definatly don't see a second rounder being cut unless he gets into some major trouble with the law or front office.

And Woodley is a project,he's going from DE to OLB.But look at how well Kamerion Wimbley did in that transfermation...he had 10 sacks last year.

I wouldn't call Timmons a project though because he has experience at OLB.He was just stuck behind some stellar OLB talent at FSU with Wimbley being there until last year.

Jeremy
05-03-2007, 09:38 AM
I am sorry about calling you stupid man.

I remember us cutting Gibson,the WR out of Georgia...but I didn't like him that much anyhow and thought he was a bad pick.I don't think he's even on an NFL roster right now,so he must have been a bad pick.

Does anyone know the name and position of the 3rd rounder being cut ?I don't remember the guy.

But yeah,I definatly don't see a second rounder being cut unless he gets into some major trouble with the law or front office.

And Woodley is a project,he's going from DE to OLB.But look at how well Kamerion Wimbley did in that transfermation...he had 10 sacks last year.

I wouldn't call Timmons a project though because he has experience at OLB.He was just stuck behind some stellar OLB talent at FSU with Wimbley being there until last year.

I've been called worse....don't worry about it. :cheers:

DACEB
05-03-2007, 11:56 AM
I don't think Woodley needs to lose weight. Although it would be nice if he was 'faster', I think he is 'quick' enough. Playing the strongside OLB he will be more of a rusher than a coverage guy. The weakside OLB is where the speed helps to cover RBs, TEs and WRs in the slot.

Check out the article at Steelers.com 'Same thing only different' it offers some insight into how the coaches invision utilizing Timmons and Woodley.

I hope just as much as everyone here, including Jeremy I'm sure, that these two guys pick up the system quickly. In the meantime they will have the oppurtunity to prove their worth on ST's and on occasion rushing the QB in certain packages.

yinzer-inseattle
05-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Jeremy's opinion stupid? No. Extreme? Yes.

Considering all the time and money the Steelers spend on scouting and evaluating draft talent, with the collective mountain of knowledge amassed by LeBeau, Butler, Colbert, Tomlin et. al. plus the overwhelming need for LB and special teams help; despite all that to propose they've drafted a guy in the 2nd round that can't make the team is extreme. Even so, that my friends is the reson I come to this board. To read something different, chuckle and maybe even learn on ocassion.

OneForTheToe
05-03-2007, 02:50 PM
I don't see a second round pick getting cut, but there's always a first time, I guess. Still, I think the kid will be fine. As for speed, Kevin Greene didn't haver world class speed, but he did have world class sacking skills.