PDA

View Full Version : Chargers LB tested clean 19 of 20 times

boLT fan
04-29-2007, 03:49 PM
If an effort to distance Shawne Merriman's name from being attached to a new policy, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has revealed to ESPN's Chris Mortensen that the Chargers star linebacker has tested clean on 19 of 20 random tests for performance enhancing drug since he entered the league two years ago.

Merriman was suspended for 4 games in 2006 for testing positive for steroids, which he has steadfastly claimed came from a tainted supplement. As a consequence, the NFL and the NFLPA have agreed that players who are suspeneded under the policy will not be eligible for the Pro Bowl, starting with the upcoming season. A formal announcement is expected prior to the season.

Leery that the new policy will be know as the "Merriman rule," Goodell has asked the union to include all players suspended under any existing policy, such as player conduct, to be omitted from the Pro Bowl. NFL Players Association Executive Director Gene Upshaw refused the proposal.

However, at the behest of Merriman, the union gave the league permission to disclose Merriman's testing results, overiding the confidentiality rules in place.

"This is something Shawne wanted to get out," Goodell said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2853277

verks36
04-29-2007, 04:09 PM
once u do steriod u are always going to have a cloud over u

83-Steelers-43
04-29-2007, 04:23 PM
once u do steriod u are always going to have a cloud over u

And rightfully so.

He passed 19 of 20. Does he want a cookie? My respect goes to the guy that passes 20 out of 20.

Livinginthe past
04-29-2007, 08:07 PM
The proof will likely be apparent this year in his level of performance.

Im no expert on steroids, but I presume that you have to keep taking them in order to keep the muscle mass/increased atheltic performance you took them for.

polamalufan43
04-29-2007, 08:13 PM
And rightfully so.

He passed 19 of 20. Does he want a cookie? My respect goes to the guy that passes 20 out of 20.

If you give him one and the next test he tests positive you know what he's gonna blame :coffee:

As for the people and players who use them, well, I think there are some people, including me at times, that lose a little bit of respect for them just because of the fact that they felt like they need to cheat or something.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Godfather
04-30-2007, 04:01 PM
I'd think he went public with this to show it was an honest mistake and not a Bonds/McGwire/Giambi attempt to cheat. He'd have to be juicing more than that to benefit from it.

He's still responsible for what goes into his body and still deserved the sanctions.

Livinginthe past
04-30-2007, 04:12 PM
I'd think he went public with this to show it was an honest mistake and not a Bonds/McGwire/Giambi attempt to cheat. He'd have to be juicing more than that to benefit from it.

He's still responsible for what goes into his body and still deserved the sanctions.

The thing to remember is - you don't know whereabouts in the sequence of 20 the failed test appeared.

If he passed two, failed the 3rd and then passed the next 17 it doesnt say much in defense of the guy.

The hint with the PR press release is that he failed the very last of the 20 and there is no way we can know if that is true.