PDA

View Full Version : What is Your Draft Analysis?

Elvis
04-30-2007, 07:18 AM
Mine kind of looks like this:
1. LB Lawrence Timmons FSU
I like the pick for all the right reasons, we need to replace Joey Porter and we took the first true step in that direction.
2. DE/LB Lamar Woodley Michigan
I would have liked to have seen C Ryan Kalil here but we have to take what we got. I like his passrushing skills and the numbers show that he was productive.
3. TE/OL Matt Spaeth Minnesota
This pick kind of stumped me until I read the Steelers.com article, now I think that he fits in the Steelers future rather nicely.
4. P Daniel Sepulveda Baylor
I Love This Pick. He will be a pro bowl type kicker for us for years to come.
4. DE Ryan McBeal Oklahoma St.
I almost had this guy on my mock draft contest, but anyway, I think he gives us a little help with depth. Honestly dont know that much about him.
5. OG Cameron Stephenson Rutgers
Sounds like he was the best of the OL's from that Rutgers team that had a great team this past year and they were very good at protecting the QB and opening holes for their RB's.. Good pick
5. DB William Gay Louisville
I guess that Tomlin and co. feel that we have enough talent at the DB position to wait this long to draft some help. And maybe he will pan out, I hope so.
7. WR Dallas Baker Florida
I like this pick even though I think that the Steelers should have gotten someone earlier in this draft. He has good size but is slow and doesnt block that well, he will have to learn to block along with Hines and Co. or he wont last long.
Grade C .... These are only my opinions, I am not working for the NFL or the Steelers so dont take me to heart, just expressing my opinions.. Have Fun

83-Steelers-43
04-30-2007, 09:40 AM
For the record, I'm more than willing to give all these guys a shot and I find it hard to sit here and completely criticize/bash the individuals who do this type of stuff for a living. I also find it hard to jump on players who I have never seen play a down of pro ball. I tip my hat to the staff who make the picks and here's to hoping our boy's pan out. These are just my opinions......

Lawrence Timmons: He will contribute a good bit this season while spelling Harrison or Haggans. I wouldn't be surprised to see him take the starting position late this season or next season. Seems like a versatile player who is capable of covering good TE's (Heap, Winslow, etc.). Up until this point, Troy was the only guy who could really cover good TE's. This should also help Troy do what he does best, instead of a following a TE around he will be able to crack the backfield and roam freely.

LaMarr Woodley: Good pass rusher. IMO, Timmons and Woodley will be our startings LB's in the years to come. A possible situational pass rusher this season and hopefully will make the transition into the starting position next season.

Matt Spaeth: Much like with the rest of the Pittsburgh area, I did not understand this pick at all when it was first announced. After sitting back and taking a deep breath I now feel Spaeth adds a new dimension to our offense. At 6'7 he seems to get open in the center of the field. Looks like he has solid hands. A little slow but we are not making the guy a WR. This signing may also be a sign that we plan on using Heath Miller more often. Both are nice targets for Ben.

Daniel Sepulveda: With Gardocki aging (basically gone), why not take the best in order to go up against Barr? Field position battles seem to be underrated, but after watching Gardocki last year I'm all for this signing. A future pro-bowl punter.

Ryan McBean: A back up this year. Maybe give Keisel a fight next year and eventually replace Kirshke.

Cameron Stephonson: Larry Zierlein seems to be pretty high on the guy. I wouldn't be surprised if he's placed on the practice squad and makes the team next year. Project guard. Possibility of starting in two or three years.

William Gay: While many seem to be down on this guy I feel he has a good shot at making the team. Colclough scares the hell out of me and has not exactly stepped up to the plate. Maybe a possible nickel back when Townsend is gone?

Dallas Baker: Many are high on this guy but dropping to the seventh round leaves me a bit skeptical. This guy can go in two directions. Freddy Gibson or Colston Jr.

Overall, not a bad draft in my opinion. I don't feel it's nearly as bad as some in this city are making it out to be (big shocker there). Once again and IMO only, it seems as if we have at least three long term starters (Woodley, Sepulveda and Timmons), three guys that could develop into starters or long term solid backups (Stephenson, Gay and McBean), a guy who could add another dimension to our offense (Spaeth) and a WR who could either turn out to be a Gibson or Coltson (Baker) type player.

Jeremy
04-30-2007, 09:45 AM
I'm not going to go player by player. I like the upside of everyone except for Woodley and McBean. I don't see those two being on the team in 3 years.

Crushzilla
04-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Well, I'm not a HUGE college football fan, but I catch highlights and have watched the scout videos on our picks. Also my class was cancelled and I'm bored. So here goes:

Timmons:
From the videos he looks like a solid tackler, also has good athleticism moving past blockers. Most of the clips I saw was him getting into the backfield and blowing up the Quarterback after the throw. I'm not sure if he can cut it when it comes to coverage. If he can't then I don't see him going exceptionally far here.

Woodly:
I like him. He comes from a high caliber program at Michigan where he was regarded as a key member of their defense. He may lack speed, but speed is not essential at the end, though it does help. If we plan on running a lot of zone schemes where the end moves into the flat, then he can be very valuable since he seems to have good fundamantals and body control to make solid open field hits.

Spaeth:
Scratch your head all you want. We have him now. He comes from a Minnesota offense that primarily sticks to run over pass. From what I read he isn't the greatest blocker, but can be valuable to Arians new offense over the middle to move the chains. This would also lock up the safeties for deep routes. His size alone, 6'7, has a lot of upside on a recieving core that badly needs it.

Sepulveda:
Don't know a lot about him. He's a punter. If he can coffin kick and have a quick release, he's ok by me. Moving up picks in the 4th round seems odd on a punter, but apparently he's the real deal. And his frame, he used to play linebacker, means we now have the buffest kicking team in the game alongside Jeff 'Quadzilla' Reed. These two alone can add depth at LB (I hope someone takes that as a serious statement and tells me how dumb I am).

McBean:
I know nothing about this guy. Maybe some depth.

Stephonson:
See Ryan McBean.

Gay:
If he can shoot the J like Rudy Gay then he should add some depth at shooting guard.

Baker:
It hard to put much faith in a 7th rounder, but everyone seems to have Colstonitis. He is fresh off of a national championship team, but I don't see him making much of a splash. Let's hope he does.

Randall:
Lacking in academics, but had a lot of upside before Minnesota gave him the boot. If he can get back in shape then he may help take some of the running load off of Willie. I'd like to think that the only reason he wasn't drafted was because of the fact that he lacks ethic at times. If Tomlin can whip him into shape he may make the team. After all, Minnesota is looking like Auburn with backs like Maroney and Barber III emerging.

Capezzi:
Ehh

Stapleton:
Wait, didn't we take a Rutgers... oh... that's another one... ok

(This report card has very little factual basis behind it and should not be used around any water coolers... your friends will throw things at you)

Jeremy
04-30-2007, 11:10 AM
Well, I'm not a HUGE college football fan, but I catch highlights and have watched the scout videos on our picks. Also my class was cancelled and I'm bored. So here goes:

Timmons:
From the videos he looks like a solid tackler, also has good athleticism moving past blockers. Most of the clips I saw was him getting into the backfield and blowing up the Quarterback after the throw. I'm not sure if he can cut it when it comes to coverage. If he can't then I don't see him going exceptionally far here.

Woodly:
I like him. He comes from a high caliber program at Michigan where he was regarded as a key member of their defense. He may lack speed, but speed is not essential at the end, though it does help. If we plan on running a lot of zone schemes where the end moves into the flat, then he can be very valuable since he seems to have good fundamantals and body control to make solid open field hits.

Spaeth:
Scratch your head all you want. We have him now. He comes from a Minnesota offense that primarily sticks to run over pass. From what I read he isn't the greatest blocker, but can be valuable to Arians new offense over the middle to move the chains. This would also lock up the safeties for deep routes. His size alone, 6'7, has a lot of upside on a recieving core that badly needs it.

Sepulveda:
Don't know a lot about him. He's a punter. If he can coffin kick and have a quick release, he's ok by me. Moving up picks in the 4th round seems odd on a punter, but apparently he's the real deal. And his frame, he used to play linebacker, means we now have the buffest kicking team in the game alongside Jeff 'Quadzilla' Reed. These two alone can add depth at LB (I hope someone takes that as a serious statement and tells me how dumb I am).

McBean:
I know nothing about this guy. Maybe some depth.

Stephonson:
See Ryan McBean.

Gay:
If he can shoot the J like Rudy Gay then he should add some depth at shooting guard.

Baker:
It hard to put much faith in a 7th rounder, but everyone seems to have Colstonitis. He is fresh off of a national championship team, but I don't see him making much of a splash. Let's hope he does.

Randall:
Lacking in academics, but had a lot of upside before Minnesota gave him the boot. If he can get back in shape then he may help take some of the running load off of Willie. I'd like to think that the only reason he wasn't drafted was because of the fact that he lacks ethic at times. If Tomlin can whip him into shape he may make the team. After all, Minnesota is looking like Auburn with backs like Maroney and Barber III emerging.

Capezzi:
Ehh

Stapleton:
Wait, didn't we take a Rutgers... oh... that's another one... ok

(This report card has very little factual basis behind it and should not be used around any water coolers... your friends will throw things at you)

All Dallas Baker did at Florida was make big catches in the red zone. He becomes one of our best red zone threats the day he takes the field for his first mini camp.

Crushzilla
04-30-2007, 11:15 AM
I hope you're right, Jeremy. I read that he would rather take a jump ball than make cathces over the middle (who can blame him), but if he has the ups I'll gladly take him in the red zone for some nice fade routes :tt02:

Jeremy
04-30-2007, 11:19 AM
I hope you're right, Jeremy. I read that he would rather take a jump ball than make cathces over the middle (who can blame him), but if he has the ups I'll gladly take him in the red zone for some nice fade routes :tt02:

Just imagine a red zone offense where we have a tall wide receiver who can run the fade route as well as anyone in football, a big tight end, a power running back, and a tough veteran who can go over the middle. Sounds pretty nice to me.

onthebus36
04-30-2007, 02:22 PM
Overall, I'd give the draft a B+.

I like both the Timmons and Woodley picks. I think Timmons will be the first to contribute but I also like the upside on Woodley.

The Spaeth pick puzzled me as well at first but since I've digested it a bit, I like the fit. Arians supposedly wants to run some three tight end packages and I also think he could be a productive option on third downs. That's a big target!

My first reaction on Sepulveda was "Punter?" but since I've learned more about him and seen that killer footage of hit jacking up that returner, I'm a fan.

I think McBeal is a depth guy and that's not a bad thing.

I have very little to base this on, but I think Stephenson could be a monster. That's based more on a vibe than anything else but I think he'll develop into a contributor. (Of course, I also liked Lee Vickers so...)

I have no info and not much of an opinion on Gay but I think, like many of you, that Dallas Baker was a good pickup and will be a threat in the redzone.

Davison_K
05-01-2007, 09:49 AM
I really wish that Pittsburgh would have drafted Tony Hunt in the third round. I was completely dumbfounded when I saw this pick. I still am dumbfounded about this pick. Ahhhh well, that is why they get paid and I sit around on message boards....

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-01-2007, 10:46 AM
As I have said..Eric Fowler..the UDFA wide reciever out of Grand Valley ,may turn out to be a better prospect that Baker....but to bolster some confidence in those who think we may have a late round sleeper....Dallas Baker is not only 6'3...but has long 35-inch arms and 10 inch hands... 35 1/2-inch vertical jump.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Like some...(and unlike others)...I dont have a problem with the Sepulveda pick....We can say that he was a reach...but the truth is that he did grade off the scale as far as punters are concerned, and our field position last year was awful..that in itself may not warrant a 4th round pick...but add the fact that Jacksonville took Adam Podlesh 11 picks prior to our pick....and that made Sepulvedas value rise dramatically..

I have a bigger problem with the TE pick. Now bear with me...I understand that we may run some TE schemes that require three TE's this next year....but outside the first TE picked each year there is usually very little value difference between the third and 5th round. I think we could have picked up an adequate TE in a later round and our 3rd pick would have been better utilized on a power back or on CB depth.

I like the positions picked in the first two rounds..but I am more than a little worried about the lack of resume that Timmons comes with...yet the Woodley pick is an insurance policy that makes me feel much better.

McBean is a nice pick to rotate in and out of the DE lineup and give our starters a break...Stephenson is an unkown quality but is said to be versatile enough to back up at guard and at cneter...so that is a plus in my book..... the CB ..Gay....is just a bad pick....period.

Baker dropped in value due to slow 40 time but WAS the go-to reciever on the championship team...and is well worth a 7th round pick.

verks36
05-01-2007, 12:02 PM
If i had to give us a grade i would say C

Like we did all right but nothing particularly special. The punter was a good pick i just was hoping we were going to draft a back to give willie a break after letting vernon go.
Will see

Crushzilla
05-01-2007, 01:50 PM
As I have said..Eric Fowler..the UDFA wide reciever out of Grand Valley ,may turn out to be a better prospect that Baker....but to bolster some confidence in those who think we may have a late round sleeper....Dallas Baker is not only 6'3...but has long 35-inch arms and 10 inch hands... 35 1/2-inch vertical jump.

How did you sneak up on him to get those measurements...

My only hope is that there is something about Gay that Tomlin saw.. he may have just been a throwaway as the best DB available

I've learned long ago, though, to not hold TOO much hope for late round picks.

onthebus36
05-01-2007, 02:00 PM
We picked up two h-backs and a full back yesterday so hopefully there's a winner in there.

On the TE pick in the third round, I'm gonna see how this plays out before I start second-guessing again. We haven't seen what they have in mind for the new offense. Once that is revealed, this may be a brilliant pick. I think the three TE sets are interesting particularly the idea of spreading defenses and giving Heath more opportunities. That spread also potentially opens gaps for Fast Willie to run through.

The thing I like about the draft is that it appears to indicate that the new coaches are basically sticking to the core principles of Steeler football while being willing to work in some new wrinkles. Whether those "wrinkles" work or not remains to be seen but I'm pretty jazzed.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-01-2007, 02:53 PM
How did you sneak up on him to get those measurements...

Thank goodness for PFW!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
05-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Why is the Gay pick so bad? The guy had 6 INTs and 2 sacks last year for Louisville. I'm not expecting this guy to be great. But he has to be better then Ricardo Colclough, right?lol Plus Gay can be used on the kick coverage teams.

MasterOfPuppets
05-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Why is the Gay pick so bad? The guy had 6 INTs and 2 sacks last year for Louisville. I'm not expecting this guy to be great. But he has to be better then Ricardo Colclough, right?lol Plus Gay can be used on the kick coverage teams.

:sofunny: " the gay pick " :toofunny: .....:popcorn: sorry

Elvis
05-01-2007, 09:49 PM
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: Most or all our draft picks will have to play some special teams and that is what has gotten alot of good players on the fields until they could actually start... A.K.A. Remember Hines Ward was no automatic starter.. and now he is a former/still pro bowler and super bowl MVP...

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-02-2007, 07:39 AM

He appears to be strictly a ST and emergency backup player....If we truly wanted a late round "developmental" CB... Hampton CB Travarous Bain, Alabama State CB Michael Coe, and Auburn CB David Irons, were still on the boards.

Personally thought we could have added depth at other positions with that pick....ILBs Brandon Siler & Kelvin Smith were available...as was DEs Mkristo Bruce & Chase Pittman...RBs Jackie Battle & Nate Ilaoa... C Doug Datish...WR Jordan Kent... or a third QB such as Matt Moore or Toby Korrodi...I wasnt enamored with any of the OT's left at that point..but there was still alot of potential talent left that may have contributed.

Jeremy
05-02-2007, 09:20 AM

It's not out of the question that both could make the active roster and contribute next season.

Davison_K
05-02-2007, 09:39 AM
The "Gay pick" could be a future replacement for Iwuoma though they gave him a contract extension which makes that a little confusing for me. Let's just hope that he is actually useful now or in he coming years. I was kinda hoping that Pittsburgh would draft a WR who would replace Wilson. I don't really like Wilson at all...