PDA

View Full Version : New Starting Lineup

Crushzilla
04-30-2007, 11:21 AM
This thread is pointless. I'll get that out of the way now. If you feel that speculation about starting jobs is moot before the camps even BEGIN, then walk away. Just walk away.

But I thought it would be interesting to get some predictions of where our new picks will fall into the scheme of immidiate fill-ins. Who will get the starting nod if the season began TODAY.

I feel our LB core would still feature Harrison and Haggans on the outside. With Timmons spelling those two.

Foote and Farrior (assuming we were running a 4-3)

Ike, McFadden, Smith, and Polamalu in the secondary

Sepulchura will be punting to start the season.

Holmes and Ward at WR. Tuman and Miller in two TE packages.

The OL is too convoluted for me to figure out right now.

What are your takes?

dhosmer
04-30-2007, 12:01 PM
i assume you mean 3-4 but other than that...

i think you're right on with Timmons spelling Harrison, I wouldn't be surprised to see Woodley get his fair share time spelling Haggans as well, since Haggans is entering the last year of his contract.

I hope Ike and Bryant are our starters, but I thought they would be last year as well. Anthony Smith is probably a 50-50 shot at starting over Clark, but that will depend on Tomlin, LeBeau and the new secondary coach. Foote and Farrior are locks on the inside jobs. Our front three are probably all set in stone as well, but who knows with the new top dog.

Ward and Holmes will start. I think Tuman will get a serious push from Spaeth, the coaches are literally glowing about this guy. I don't want to touch the offensive line either, especially with the flexibility of Mahan and Simmons. QB will be Omar Jacobs, of course.......

OneForTheToe
04-30-2007, 12:02 PM
I only see two changes to start the season on defense. Harrison will start in Porter's spot. Also, I think McFadden will beat out Townsend at cb. Anthony Smith might be the starter by season end, but not to start the season.

On the offense:

WR- Holmes, Ward -

Oline - Smith, Faneca, Okobi, Mahan, and Starks (very short hook)

Punter - the new kid, you don't draft a punter and then cut him.

Everything else the same.

Expect the new TE to see the most playing time among the draftees with the regulars. The rest of the draft picks, who make he team, play a lot on special teams while they learn the system.

SteelersTilIDie
04-30-2007, 04:10 PM
um...ryan clark will put up a fight for the fs spot, baker will serve as a good 3 or 4 receiver, spaeth will definitely see time in short yardage, goal line situations and 3 te sets.

WWIIOwheelz
04-30-2007, 06:51 PM
I didn't realize that punter had won the Ray Guy award twice. That's strong! It was a given that Gardoki was history, but I really thought Barr would get his shot.

That's a big guy for a punter.

Dynasty
04-30-2007, 07:55 PM
hes big cause he got recruited as a LB

fansince'76
04-30-2007, 08:14 PM
I didn't realize that punter had won the Ray Guy award twice. That's strong! It was a given that Gardoki was history, but I really thought Barr would get his shot.

That's a big guy for a punter.

Not quite as big as Reggie Roby was (6-4, 250), but close at 6-3, 229.

WWIIOwheelz
04-30-2007, 09:25 PM
Roby.... he was a Dolphin, wasn't he? That was a busy time in my life, but I remember him from cable television, :)

How did we live without the Interweb?

fansince'76
04-30-2007, 09:43 PM
Roby.... he was a Dolphin, wasn't he? That was a busy time in my life, but I remember him from cable television, :)

How did we live without the Interweb?

Yep, he was with the Dolphins - as I remember, he was also the 4th-string emergency QB for them during most of the Marino era.

fansince'76
04-30-2007, 10:01 PM
um...ryan clark will put up a fight for the fs spot

Yep, but my prediction is he'll lose the starting position to Smith. Smith has something IMHO that Clark doesn't have, and that's a nose for the ball - an uncoachable trait. Couple that with the fact that Clark won't be named the de facto starter simply due to having more experience at the NFL level, and you have a new defensive backfield mate for Taz.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-30-2007, 10:05 PM
Yep, but my prediction is he'll lose the starting position to Smith. Smith has something IMHO that Clark doesn't have, and that's a nose for the ball - an uncoachable trait. Couple that with the fact that Clark won't be named the de facto starter simply due to having more experience at the NFL level, and you have a new defensive backfield mate for Taz.

I totally agree with you about Anthony Smith not only is he a ballhawk but he can hit as well. The hit when he laid TJ Humpshismama still sticks out in my mind.lol He will bring fear back to the Steelers secondary with the way he hits. But Ryan Clark will serve as a very nice backup.

fansince'76
04-30-2007, 10:08 PM
I totally agree with you about Anthony Smith not only is he a ballhawk but he can hit as well. The hit when he laid TJ Humpshismama still sticks out in my mind.lol He will bring fear back to the Steelers secondary with the way he hits. But Ryan Clark will serve as a very nice backup.

LMAO - "Humpshismama." :toofunny:

Don't get me wrong, I think Clark is a pretty good player, but in the limited time I saw Smith play, I saw something special there. This kid can be an All-Pro in a fairly short time from what I've seen.

GBMelBlount
04-30-2007, 10:19 PM
i assume you mean 3-4 but other than that...

i think you're right on with Timmons spelling Harrison, I wouldn't be surprised to see Woodley get his fair share time spelling Haggans as well, since Haggans is entering the last year of his contract.

I hope Ike and Bryant are our starters, but I thought they would be last year as well. Anthony Smith is probably a 50-50 shot at starting over Clark, but that will depend on Tomlin, LeBeau and the new secondary coach. Foote and Farrior are locks on the inside jobs. Our front three are probably all set in stone as well, but who knows with the new top dog.

Ward and Holmes will start. I think Tuman will get a serious push from Spaeth, the coaches are literally glowing about this guy. I don't want to touch the offensive line either, especially with the flexibility of Mahan and Simmons. QB will be Omar Jacobs, of course.......

The OJ remark at the end still has me rolling! P.S. - Thank God Tomlin knows we can pull an O-line out of our................hats.

DACEB
05-01-2007, 07:32 AM
Smith will defenitely start at S with Troy. Smith is a ballhawk and covers much more ground than Clark.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Okay,time to predict who loses thier starting jobs this year.

Cedric Wilson will lose his job to Santonio Holmes

Kendall Simmons will lose his job to Chris Kemoeatu

Ryan Clark will lose his job to Anthony Smith

Clark Haggans will lose his job to LaMarr Woodley sometime during the season

Willie Colon will push Max Starks for his RG job in TC and will take it sometime this season

Lawrence Timmons will be the starting ROLB for the Steelers this season (nobody has the job on lock-down therefore nobody loses thier job)

The Duke
05-01-2007, 12:58 PM
ryan clark and wilson definetely lose it, the rest are still hanging in there

The Duke
05-01-2007, 01:01 PM
[QUOTE=OneForTheToe;243527]

Oline - Smith, Faneca, Okobi, Mahan, and Starks (very short hook)

i like this one. colon and starks will most probably fight for that position, but the rest seems good :thumbsup:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-01-2007, 01:06 PM

Willie Colon will push Max Starks for his RG job in TC and will take it sometime this season

Lawrence Timmons will be the starting ROLB for the Steelers this season (nobody has the job on lock-down therefore nobody loses thier job)

Holmes started at the end of last season so he already has taken Wilson's spot.

The one thats easy to me is Gardocki lossing his spot to Sepulveda.

I would say Anthony Smith will take Clarks spot.

I think the only returning starter on the Oline as of right now is the left side with Smith and Faneca. But that could change also if Faneca holds out....I don't think that will be the case though.

But the C spot and the right side is up in the air. I would like to see Mahan at center, Colon at RG and Starks at RT.

I can't see Timmons or Woodley starting right away. Maybe by the end of the year or at earliest mid season.

DACEB
05-01-2007, 01:22 PM
I won't try and guess the lineup but I am interested to see who sticks after all the training camps.

I wonder who will start at center and what the rest of the line will look like.

Who will stick out of the LBing corp. There have been countless LB's invited to camp and what about Church, Seigler, Stanley and Wallace.

The D-line will most likely change as well, at least the backups. Is this the end for Kirschke with the addition of Eason? What about Nua, Paxson and McBean?

Our defensive front 7 could end up a whole lot younger.

I like the fact that Tomlin is looking for versatility from all positions. I am excited at the possibilities and look forward to this season.

fansince'76
05-01-2007, 01:47 PM
Merged "New Starting Lineup" and "Who loses thier starting job this season?" threads together due to similarity in content.

yinzer-inseattle
05-01-2007, 03:46 PM

If Timmons starts he'll be one of the first if not the first rook LB to do so. I don't see that happening. The only way Simmons looses his job is if he gets injured. Healthy he's much better than Kemoeatu. I'd like to see Colon win the job or light a fire under Starks. Either way the line play should improve.

Steeldude
05-01-2007, 05:39 PM
my prediction for the starting lineup for day 1. notice i said prediction, not who i want starting.

townsend
taylor
polamalu
clark

smith
hampton
keisel

haggans
farrior
foote
harrison

OneForTheToe
05-01-2007, 05:54 PM
To me the bigger impact of this draft class, in the short term, will be on last years backups. Will Kirshkie make the team (the steelers did sign a vetern lineman last week, I think)? Is time running out on Nua to prove he can play in this league? How about Kriewalt? Is Walter Young gone if the number 7 draft pick shows promise (how many tall slower WR projects can you keep)?

Crushzilla
05-02-2007, 06:50 AM
If Timmons starts he'll be one of the first if not the first rook LB to do so. I don't see that happening. The only way Simmons looses his job is if he gets injured. Healthy he's much better than Kemoeatu. I'd like to see Colon win the job or light a fire under Starks. Either way the line play should improve.

I think the fact that we haven't seen rookie LBs start is because Cowher seemed to steer away from starting rookies. We'll have to see in camp what he's made of, though he seems like a great tackler...