PDA

View Full Version : Draft Day Trades That Fell Through

tony hipchest
04-30-2007, 05:11 PM
gil brandt revealed that dallas offered their #22 pick to the chargers for michael turner and were rejected.

k. colbert revealed 1 team made an offer for their #15 and they said no. he didnt reveal who it was.

todays mmqb by peter king has an excellent breakdown of how the brady quinn trade went down. appearantly they offered EVERY team picking between miami and chiefs (who oddly enough had a trade break down) a deal except for the steelers and bengals. bastards!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/04/29/draft/1.html

He got on the phone. He called Houston, which owned the 10th pick, then Buffalo, which had the 12th pick, followed by St. Louis (No. 13) and Carolina (14). No, no, no, no.

Savage got a nibble from Green Bay at 16. Cleveland offered its first-round pick in 2008, and offered to flip picks with the Packers in rounds two, three and four. "I thought it was going to work,'' Savage said. "But they thought about it, called back and said no.''

Savage called Jacksonville, which had the 17th pick. No. Right about then, Savage got wind of Baltimore also trying to deal up in the round to get Quinn. And he feared Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome would make a deal with one of his best buddies, Jags GM James Harris. But Harris had other ideas, dealing down four spots with Denver and picking up third- and sixth-round picks.

Savage didn't try Cincinnati at 18. "You think they'd ever trade with us?'' he said, chuckling. "I don't think so.'' Tennessee and the Giants, at 19 and 20, respectively, both said no. Next up was Jacksonville, which planned to make its new pick at 21. Another phone call. Another no.

Savage offered Jones second- and third-round picks. Jones said no. End of call. Jones called back and asked for Cleveland's first-rounder in 2008, and Savage said he'd consider doing it -- but without adding anything else this year. Jones said no; he had to have a high pick this year. End of call.

"Now [the Cowboys] were on the clock, and I figured, 'This is a guy we really want,''' said Savage. "We've got to make our best offer now.''

every team is mentionned but the steelers. is it possible they were offered a deal and turned it down too? ( the rest of the story with dallas finally accepting a deal is definitely worth reading).

anyone else got some juicy nuggets of deals gone bad?

polamalufan43
04-30-2007, 05:23 PM
They didn't offer us Quinn... pity pity:flap:

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

MasterOfPuppets
05-01-2007, 02:20 AM
i'm thinkin it was clevland who made the steelers the offer. but tomlin had such a hard on for timmons he didn't want to trade out of the first....:hunch:

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-01-2007, 08:19 AM
anyone else got some juicy nuggets of deals gone bad?

I didnt have to go to the wedding on Draft day...but now all the in-laws are coming over for Mothers day.

(I should have held out for a better deal.......is that what you are talking about Tony?)

Jeremy
05-01-2007, 08:20 AM
I think we were passed over for the same reason Cincy was.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-01-2007, 08:52 AM
We might have been passed over,or maybe they asked us to trade and we said no.

Can't blame them for not asking,you don't often see division rivals trying to help make each other better.

And if they did offer and we said no,you can't blame us either.Why the hell would we give up a first round pick so the Browns could draft thier franchise LT and thier franchise QB in the very same draft?

Crushzilla
05-01-2007, 01:02 PM
I didnt have to go to the wedding on Draft day...but now all the in-laws are coming over for Mothers day.

(I should have held out for a better deal.......is that what you are talking about Tony?)

HAHAHAHAHAHA

You should have packaged a deal that got you out of Valentine's Day of next year's season