PDA

View Full Version : What about Faneca?

RoethlisBURGHer
05-01-2007, 10:42 AM
The 2007 NFL Draft came and went Saturday and Sunday...and Alan Faneca is still a Pittsburgh Steeler.

I was personally hoping to trade him to Arizona for this year's second rounder and next year's second rounder.

Will we trade him before the season starts?

Will he play for Pittsburgh this year and leave after the season?

Will he sign an extension and finish his career a Pittsburgh Steeler?

I truly don't see us signing him to an extension.He's 31 and gonna be 32,and he's gonna want a lot of money.I feel that the money is better spent resigning Troy Polamalu and Ben Roethlisberger.

Not to mention Faneca seems to have some disdain for Mike Tomlin because he really wanted Russ Grimm to be the HC,or at least Whisenhut so Grimm would stay in Pittsburgh.

I also think we had a hard time trading him if we tried for the following reasons:

1. His friendship with Grimm has been well documented,so it looks like the Arizona Cardinals have a leg-up on conract negotiations if Faneca does become a FA.

2. His disapproval of Mike Tomlin has also been well documented.Maybe teams figured they have a better chance of getting him as a FA without giving up draft picks rather than give up draft picks and possibly lose him after the season anyhow.

There is also the posibility the Steelers turned down all trade offers because they feel he is worth more than what was offered or because they think they will resign him.

steel58
05-01-2007, 11:08 AM
I think the Steelers see where they are at the end of the year. If they can get their top priorities signed and see another Super Bowl probability, I think they will slap the franchise tag on Faneca. If not, they probably let him walk -- Or if something bizarre happens and they really **** at the beginning of the season, maybe they pull that rare in season trade for a draft pick

05-01-2007, 11:16 AM
I think the time to trade him has come and gone when the first day of the draft ended late Saturday night. I believe that the Steelers number 1 priority going into camp this summer, will be getting Troy P. signed to a long term deal. Next season most likely will be Fanaca's last as a Steeler. There is NO WAY they sign him to a long term deal like the ones that Steinbach, Davis, ect., got this past off season, at Fanaca's age. I feel his play on the field was below his personal standards last season (despite being selected to another pro bowl), and if his play continues to decline, I don't think the Steelers FO will be all that upset to let him walk. Now on the other hand, if he rebounds, and has a typical dominating Alan Fanaca season, and the Steelers are able to get Troy under contract this summer, the Steelers could consider franchising Fanaca. A lot depends on how they would be progressing with resigning Big Ben at that point, and whether or not they have the cap room to pay Fanaca in the top 5% at his position for the 2008 season, but none the less it is still a short term option, if the FO wants to keep him around beyond 2007. Another option would be to franchise him, and then trade him. Either way, Fanaca is a pro going into his contract year. He is not happy with the current state of his contract, and I expect him to hold out, at least until the first pre season game, but I do not expect it to interfere with his play on the field once the games start to count.

Stainless Steel
05-01-2007, 11:25 AM
I was surprised that they didn't get much in O line in the draft. It would have been predictable to see us picking up some good talent in the draft to replace our older crew.

Rooney knows what's happening. Just trust in their judgment.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-01-2007, 11:39 AM
I think next year is the year we draft big on the o-line.

Kemoeatu will probally start ar RG this season and beyong (he might not start in the season's begining,but by the end he will be.

Colon will challange Starks for the RT spot.

I am not sold on Essex as the LT that will protect Ben for many years in the future,nor do I think Smith is our guy at that position either.

Faneca,as i said in my prevous post,I think will be gone at the end of this season.

And our center dillema is still there.Mahan might be the C this year,but after Faneca is gone there is a chance he moves to LG to replace him.

I see us drafting LT in the first round and C/G in the second depending on what happens with Faneca and if Mahan moves to G to replace him.

Atlanta Dan
05-01-2007, 11:49 AM
Given their deer in the headlights performance on Saturday (afraid Timmons may not last so don't trade down; we want a TE so let's draft one ASAP after we get 2 OLB candidates; the punter we want may not be on the board after the 4th round so let's get him now), I am glad they kept Faneca for one more year rather than trade him for a draft pick. They probably would have used the pick they received for Faneca to draft a placekicker or QB.

Buzz05
05-01-2007, 12:05 PM
I know this probably will never happen. But if Arizona offered up Levi Brown for Faneca strait up...should we take it? It sures up the O-Line somewhat and it gets Faneca out of everyones hair...Just a thought

Atlanta Dan
05-01-2007, 12:27 PM
I know this probably will never happen. But if Arizona offered up Levi Brown for Faneca strait up...should we take it? It sures up the O-Line somewhat and it gets Faneca out of everyones hair...Just a thought

If they make that offer they presumably will be glad to throw in Leinart, so we should demand Leinart be added if they call to offer a straight up swap of their #1 draft choice for an OL in his early 30s whom they figure they can sign next year.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Given their deer in the headlights performance on Saturday (afraid Timmons may not last so don't trade down; we want a TE so let's draft one ASAP after we get 2 OLB candidates; the punter we want may not be on the board after the 4th round so let's get him now), I am glad they kept Faneca for one more year rather than trade him for a draft pick. They probably would have used the pick they received for Faneca to draft a placekicker or QB.

I don't think anyone wanted to trade into our spot,except for maybe Cleveland but I doubt they even called and asked.We were stuckt aking Timmons at 15 because there was nowhere else to go.

Crushzilla
05-01-2007, 02:12 PM
If they offered us Levi straight up for Faneca then Wiz should get back into the booth and stick to calling plays

HometownGal
05-01-2007, 03:31 PM
I believe that this season will be Faneca's last in the black 'n gold. With other key players coming up on contract renewals/extensions, I don't see the Steelers offering him anything but a one-way ticket out of the Burgh. Sorry to see him go, but thems the breaks.

steelersfanman92
05-01-2007, 04:04 PM
if we wants out let him

Atlanta Dan
05-01-2007, 06:39 PM
I post this with the caveat that in late December 2006 Ed.B. said he thought Cowher might be staying, but take this from today's Ed.B. chat FWIW:

What is your best guess at who the 5 linemen will be for 2008?

Ed Bouchette: Left to right -- Smith, Faneca, Mahan, Kemoeatu, Colon

SouthernSteel: Ed, based on your response to the line for 2008 - do you have a good feeling about Faneca signing

Ed Bouchette: I may be 60-40 that he will re-sign.

Ed, as you mentioned the 60-40 chance of Faneca r-signing, how will the signing bonus pla out(with Steinbach getting 17 million), and also with having to pay Polamalu and then Ben the next year?

Ed Bouchette: That wasn't $17 M signing bonus, it was $17 M in guaranteed money as part of the contract. The cap will rise again next year and I think they can pay all three of those players.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07121/782475-66.stm

I like the idea of Simmons and Starks going - I just do not see how they afford Faneca & Troy - a rising cap means other teams can throw even more $$ at FAs.

Ed.B. is not a big fan of the punter selection, saying they should have drafted a "real player" with a 4th round pick.

tony hipchest
05-01-2007, 07:22 PM
I post this with the caveat that in late December 2006 Ed.B. said he thought Cowher might be staying, but take this from today's Ed.B. chat FWIW:

What is your best guess at who the 5 linemen will be for 2008?

Ed Bouchette: Left to right -- Smith, Faneca, Mahan, Kemoeatu, Colon

SouthernSteel: Ed, based on your response to the line for 2008 - do you have a good feeling about Faneca signing

Ed Bouchette: I may be 60-40 that he will re-sign.

Ed, as you mentioned the 60-40 chance of Faneca r-signing, how will the signing bonus pla out(with Steinbach getting 17 million), and also with having to pay Polamalu and then Ben the next year?

Ed Bouchette: That wasn't $17 M signing bonus, it was $17 M in guaranteed money as part of the contract. The cap will rise again next year and I think they can pay all three of those players.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07121/782475-66.stm

I like the idea of Simmons and Starks going - I just do not see how they afford Faneca & Troy - a rising cap means other teams can throw even more $$ at FAs.

Ed.B. is not a big fan of the punter selection, saying they should have drafted a "real player" with a 4th round pick.great info, and perspective. this is why it kills me to not get that deal from the jets. drafting kalil would make mahan and okolbis contracts expendable.

okolbi, wilson, kirschke, gardocki, and possibly clark (approx $8-9 mil right there) being cut would open enough money mixed with the salary cap increase, to get deals done with faneca and troy. sure we lose depth, but we open room for our draft picts to actually be kept and developed into starters at a basement price.

like you said several months back, the franchise tag on troy is actually a money saving option.

oh, and i think anthony smith will be part of our future. after this season he will be going into the final year of his contract. im pretty sure we dont wanna pay clark 2 mil to back up our starter. extend smith midway through this season on the cheap and let clark go. clark is great for us, but not at the expense of our pro bowlers.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
05-01-2007, 07:30 PM
i'll go out on a limb and say that faneca will eventually re-sign. i believe he needs a little breathing room and will take a step back from things and come to an agreement with the steelers. the only way he leaves is if some team gives him a $15 mill. signing bonus and a contract that extends for 6-7 years (and even for a guy who will be his age this wouldn't shock me). i agree with atl. dan - this will be starks' and simmons' last season with pittsburgh, and possibly okobi as well.

but i believe the "must sign" player is polamalu - if he walks away for nothing this team is going to be in trouble.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Polamalu is what makes this defense tick,IMHO,because the offense has to pay so much attention to him.That extra attention lets a guy slip unoticed in a blitz or in coverage and BAM there's a sack or an INT.

Elvis
05-01-2007, 09:53 PM
First of all, I am glad that Faneca is not gone. Give our other young lineman one more year to learn and get ready to start. Faneca is a starter and the Steelers dont need a patch work line in front of our soon to be pro bowl QB. Give him a chance to stay on his feet and make plays. Amen?:coffee:
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

Preacher
05-02-2007, 12:50 AM
i'll go out on a limb and say that faneca will eventually re-sign. i believe he needs a little breathing room and will take a step back from things and come to an agreement with the steelers. the only way he leaves is if some team gives him a $15 mill. signing bonus and a contract that extends for 6-7 years (and even for a guy who will be his age this wouldn't shock me). i agree with atl. dan - this will be starks' and simmons' last season with pittsburgh, and possibly okobi as well.

but i believe the "must sign" player is polamalu - if he walks away for nothing this team is going to be in trouble.

Problem is... if he signs, who you going to kiss goodbye? Polamalu or Ben?

TackleMeBen
05-06-2007, 10:17 AM
Minicamp II under new coach Mike Tomlin starts Friday, May 11, only this one is required and the Steelers hope Alan Faneca will finally show up.

Faneca, the team's six-time Pro Bowl left guard, has not joined a workout with his teammates this year. He enters the final season of his contract, which will pay him another $3,375,000 on top of the $1 million he received in a roster bonus in March.
He's not happy with it, though. He was hoping to either sign an extension similar to the ones given to guards in free agency recently, or to be released like linebacker Joey Porter.

The Steelers won't release Faneca, but they're more than willing to sign him to an extension. The problem lies in what they're offering and what Faneca will take. He and agent Rick Smith know the salary cap rises again next March and, just 30 now, Faneca has at least one big contract left in him.

There's also strong reason to believe that if Faneca plays through his final year with the Steelers, his old buddies in Arizona will swoop in and meet his demands. Former Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt is coach of the Cardinals and the Steelers' former line coach, Russ Grimm, holds that job in Arizona.

The Cardinals may have great skill players on offense but they are desperate for good linemen, and Grimm would like nothing more than to bring solid-citizen Faneca, a Steelers' co-captain, to town to not only play but show others in the Arizona line how it's supposed to be done.

There are rumors that Grimm and/or Whisenhunt already have let Faneca know those desires which, of course, would be tampering. There was even speculation the Steelers might trade Faneca to the Cardinals, but that may have been more wishful thinking in Arizona than a real thought in Pittsburgh.

One thing the Steelers have not done, however, is prepare for Faneca's departure. They did draft a lineman in the fifth round, Cameron Stephenson of Rutgers, but that hardly applies as replacement strategy for a six-time Pro Bowl guard. Their other starter, Kendall Simmons, also enters the last year of his contract.

There's still a chance the Steelers will sign Faneca to that contract extension, and perhaps his appearance at minicamp and what he finally has to say on the matter could foretell his own wishes

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamReport?categoryId=67067&type=InsideSlant

Maybe there was a reason Fancea didnt get traded on draft day... I hope Az is smarter than trying to tamper ..