PDA

View Full Version : Final Roster - The 53 Men

stand undefeated
09-03-2005, 05:09 PM
From Steelers.com

Steelers Release 12 Players; Trim Roster to 53

The Steelers released 12 players today, including six veterans and two 2005 draft picks, in order to reach the NFL?s 53-player roster limit.

Among the veterans released were three third-year veterans, linebacker Alonzo Jackson, quarterback Brian St. Pierre and safety Russell Stuvaints; seventh-year veteran long snapper Mike Schneck, 11th-year veteran tight end Walter Rasby, and second-year offensive guard Jim Jones.

The Steelers also released rookie wide receiver Fred Gibson, the team?s fourth-round draft pick (131st overall) in 2005, and rookie defensive end Shaun Nua, who was selected by the team in the seventh round (228th) of this year?s NFL Draft.

The other players released by the team include three first-year players, center Ben Claxton, defensive end Eric Taylor and outside linebacker Dedrick Roper; and rookie outside linebacker Andre Frazier.

Gibson represented the highest Steelers? draft pick not to make the team?s Kickoff Weekend roster since 2000 fourth-round pick, wide receiver Danny Farmer was released by the team prior to the start of his rookie season.

All NFL teams may sign up to eight rookies or first-year players to their practice squad after noon on Sunday, Sept. 4.

_ _ _ _

Prosdo
09-03-2005, 05:16 PM
Can't believe they released Gibson. That's a waste of a 4th rounder. Hopefully he gets on the PS.

LambertIsGod58
09-03-2005, 05:32 PM
What a f'in waste....It's not we are stacked at WR or something.

figg
09-03-2005, 05:34 PM
Mays made it over Gibson :yuck: :puke: Mays

Koopa
09-03-2005, 05:37 PM
that is so damn gay. mayne that was a waste of a fourth rounder. damn i'm pissed now, so now we ain't got no tall wrs, all we got is the midget corp. mays must of jerked someone off in the front office cause that fool sucks.

figg
09-03-2005, 05:39 PM
at least they kept Kranchick

Stlrs4Life
09-03-2005, 05:56 PM
Mays made it over Gibson :yuck: :puke: Mays

Sure is. I believe he makes the practice squad.

redst3
09-03-2005, 05:56 PM
Yup, they should have let Mays go. We will really know something when they do the Practice squad. I thought they were trying to deal St P. I thought maybe the Lions, Bears or Fins would take him.

figg
09-03-2005, 05:58 PM
Mays :monkey:

TasmanianTroy271
09-03-2005, 06:22 PM
I REALLY liked Figg's roster, but what is this?

WHY is Lee Mays on the team? Why did Carter beat out Stuvaints? Why did we cut almost all of our OLB's?

This is horrible, we'd better get Frazier and Gibson on the PS.

We were all rooting for 6 WR's but this is NOT what we wanted...

acrossthepond
09-03-2005, 06:42 PM
Surprised we've only kept 3 OLBs. This stops the possibility of Harrison moving to ILB this season. We should have signed Roper (with Frazier on PS if no-one else takes him) to allow some flexibility at LB. They must be confident in Boo's ability to play inside if there's an injury . . .
And if Harrison goes down, we're in big trouble . . . at OLB

We either need one of Roper or Frazier to jump in off PS. And in the longer term, replacement 3-4 OLBs are just not out there . . . it takes 3 years usually for a rookie DE to make the switch to OLB. We should have kept another one to be able to develop someone for the future.

At least Zo (who knows the system) will probably be available if all else fails!!! Hope we don't get to that point . . .

Can anyone else see another way around this problem?

stand undefeated
09-03-2005, 06:42 PM
I'm not too disappointed about the freddy g release... but if they dont sign him to the squad then there's something going on.

I dont think mays is such a bad wr... as bad as everyone thinks he is atleast. :)

acrossthepond
09-03-2005, 06:49 PM
I'm not too disappointed about the freddy g release... but if they dont sign him to the squad then there's something going on.

I dont think mays is such a bad wr... as bad as everyone thinks he is atleast. :)

I've got to agree . . . Mays isn't that bad a wr at all (especially as a 4th WR). . . part of the problem is that since we were all so excited that we may have got a steal in Gibson in Round 4 (based on opinions of a few draft "experts") and that he is 6'4, it seems outrageous the team have let him go. I've probably been comparing Mays against an idealised view of what Gibson is now and in the future . . . I haven't been watching them practice or gotten an inside view like the coaching staff do of his attitude to the game . . .

I wonder if the officials had ruled his trapped 18 yd catch against Carolina as good, whether Freddy would have made the team . . .

figg
09-03-2005, 07:05 PM
I REALLY liked Figg's roster, but what is this?

WHY is Lee Mays on the team? Why did Carter beat out Stuvaints? Why did we cut almost all of our OLB's?

This is horrible, we'd better get Frazier and Gibson on the PS.

We were all rooting for 6 WR's but this is NOT what we wanted...

It actually wasnt mine. I got it from all the speculation going on.

My roster would have included Gibson

figg
09-04-2005, 09:46 AM
I hope a rival team doesnt pick up Brian St.Pierre because of his knowledge of our playbook.

Cape Cod Steel Head
09-04-2005, 10:15 AM
Just because a guy is a fourth round pick.. doesn't guarantee him a spot on the roster. If he doesn?t produce in camp and in the pre-season, what choice does the organization have? Besides.. Nate Washington has a 39 inch vertical leap. I am also glad we kept Noah Herron.. I like that kid.

clevestinks
09-04-2005, 10:23 AM
Hey maybe Gibson really just couldnt cut it????? It is a waste of a 4th though.

Cape Cod Steel Head
09-04-2005, 10:27 AM
I agree.. but maybe Nate can step up to the plate.

SteelerSal
09-04-2005, 10:54 AM
I'd rather see Nate as our 4th reciever, before Morey even thinks about stepping on the field!

BlitzburghRockCity
09-04-2005, 10:58 AM
hhmmm, you're letting go a 4th round pick that you were high on, that everybody knew was gonna be a project and take some work... so what do you do.. you release him and keep a guy that hasnt done jack shiat the entire time he's been here and is now hurt w/ a hamstring and out for atleast 2 weeks!! :chair: :mad:

SteelerSal
09-04-2005, 11:08 AM
Who knows what kind of person Gibson was in the locker room and outside of football.
Maybe they got rid of someone before he became a problem. :fart:

We may never know. :hmmph:

clevestinks
09-04-2005, 11:53 AM
hhmmm, you're letting go a 4th round pick that you were high on, that everybody knew was gonna be a project and take some work... so what do you do.. you release him and keep a guy that hasnt done jack shiat the entire time he's been here and is now hurt w/ a hamstring and out for atleast 2 weeks!! :chair: :mad:

????????
Great points Blitz. I guess we just have to trust the Steelers leadres here.

Cape Cod Steel Head
09-04-2005, 11:56 AM
I'm not high on Mays or Morey either.. so I think we should give Washington a shot.

clevestinks
09-04-2005, 11:59 AM
I'm not high on Mays or Morey either.. so I think we should give Washington a shot.

Plax leaving wasnt that big of deal. But now I am not at all sold on our wr corps. This may be a weak link overall for us.

redst3
09-04-2005, 01:17 PM
I'm glad someone else noted that Mays is indeed over 6 feet tall. Someone earlier in the thread said we didn't keep anyone over 6. I thought Mays was taller but only confirmed it later by looking in my media guide. I still am not that impressed with him. Generally, though Cowher, Colbert, et al have been right about moves. I especially remember I thought they were idiots for letting go of Levon Kirkland and for signing Kimo. Let's see what happens.

redst3
09-04-2005, 01:20 PM
Plax leaving wasnt that big of deal. But now I am not at all sold on our wr corps. This may be a weak link overall for us.

It could be if someone doesn't take the heat off Hines.

BB2W
09-04-2005, 02:04 PM
I can't beleive they kept Mays over Gibson....

Prosdo
09-04-2005, 02:52 PM
Yeah I still am wondering about that myself BB2W. I know Mays knows the system, but he never really impressed me. Mays supposedly also has a significant injury. Hopefully we can get Gibson on the PS.

Da Boot
09-06-2005, 09:56 AM
Mays has never impressed me but neither had Gibson. I did however see Gibson half assing it on a crossing route at the end of the Carolina game. I think even the announcers pointed it out. If he was doing that when he knows this is his last shot to impress the coaches, then that tells alot about his attitude.

I am glad they kept Washington however.

Prosdo
09-06-2005, 10:15 AM
Mays has never impressed me but neither had Gibson. I did however see Gibson half assing it on a crossing route at the end of the Carolina game. I think even the announcers pointed it out. If he was doing that when he knows this is his last shot to impress the coaches, then that tells alot about his attitude.

I am glad they kept Washington however.

I did not catch that Da Boot, but I'm sure that Bill Cowher noticed it big time. You are right knowing that is his last shot to catch their eyes and he runs his route like that. That kind of thing definitely won't sit well with the coaches. Also like you I was happy to see Washington make it. He really was a pleasant surprise for the Steelers.

Black-n-Gold
09-06-2005, 11:42 AM
II did not catch that Da Boot, but I'm sure that Bill Cowher noticed it big time. You are right knowing that is his last shot to catch their eyes and he runs his route like that. That kind of thing definitely won't sit well with the coaches. Also like you I was happy to see Washington make it. He really was a pleasant surprise for the Steelers.

I never saw that either, in fact I thought he was doing well in the preseason. He threw some nice blockas and make some nice catches. The more and more I hear of him though I'm glad he's gone, no need to mess with some one like that. On another note, I wish they kept St Pierre, he's a quick QB that makes quick decisions and I've always thought he's looked good.

I.C. Lights
09-06-2005, 05:20 PM
I have the feeling Gibson might have been more trouble than he was worth, which I guess would be hard to know going into the draft and as much as it sucks to lose a 4th round pick, I agree that Washington is a nice windfall. Also agree on the St. Pierre comment. I think he's got a lot of potential, plus he's a smart guy. It would be shame if he were to "remember" the details of our playbook when he goes elsewhere.