PDA

View Full Version : Signs that Tomlin could be great...or... the Taming of Big Ben

siss
05-01-2007, 10:47 PM
In this new offense Ben will be calling the line protection. And I think thats great (Let the 6'5 guy in the middle tell the Big guys how to protect him!), but Ben will have to WATCH TAPE in order to learn defensive schemes and teams defensive habits. Or if my understanding of the process is right, he will have too (I could be wrong...its happend before!).

The biggest knock on Ben is 1. Bad work ethic and 2. He can't read a defense to save his life. By letting Ben call the offensive scheme's, Tomlin is forcing Ben to learn defensive schemes. And if he doesn't he will be sacked and possible hurt.

Also I'd like to note Cowher joked about Ben and his "love" for game film, while Tomlin gave Ben more responsibility and put it on his shoulders. Also Ben has admitted that things got to easy for him. So Tomlin challenged Ben.
Did Cowher ever do that? Or did he just make it easy for him and bore him?
I would be willing to bet that Ben loves a challenge and Tomlin did just that instead of joke with the media about his bad habit.

Thus further proof that Tomlin is THE MAN and the Rooney's made the right choice

RoethlisBURGHer
05-01-2007, 11:30 PM
Cowher was afraid that he would put too much on Ben's lap,thinking his QB couldn't handle it.

By putting more responsibilites on Ben,Tomlin is going to see just how much he can handle.

I think Ben will handle it just fine.It will force him to do the things he has to do to be great.

By the end of his career,Ben Roethlisberger will be a HoF QB.

The Duke
05-01-2007, 11:44 PM
Cowher was afraid that he would put too much on Ben's lap,thinking his QB couldn't handle it.

By putting more responsibilites on Ben,Tomlin is going to see just how much he can handle.

I think Ben will handle it just fine.It will force him to do the things he has to do to be great.

By the end of his career,Ben Roethlisberger will be a HoF QB.

Hall of famer or not i want him back the way he was before. yeah, maybe cowher didn't trusted ben enough, but he's entering his 4th year in the nfl, he knows the system, this challenge coach tomlin put on him will prove to be a benefit for the team.

ChronoCross
05-02-2007, 01:12 AM
For one, Ben will not be calling all the blocking schemes solo, Ben will be working along with the center to pick up blitzes and call out the schemes. It will not be like before were Hartings made all the scheme calls.

Before Bens injury there was nothing wrong with Ben and his progress was coming along just nicely. Now all the sudden he cannot read a defense, he has bad work ethics, and what ever else people say.

So Ben will spend more hours in the tape room with his center to talk about schemes.

Besides a few players and some injuries, the whole team was in laid back mode from the SB win even the Coach(retirement mode for the coach tho). Tomlin coming in to put some fire back under there butts is needed. So saying Ben had bad work ethics, when almost the whole team had bad work ethics this last season is kinda just singling one person out.

The whole team will have to work hard to rebound, not just Ben the whole team together as one.

siss
05-02-2007, 01:21 AM
I should probably clarify that when I list the things that are wrong with Ben Im just repeating what he is MOST critisized for.
I am almost positive that you can't go 27-4 without some hard work.

fansince'76
05-02-2007, 01:25 AM
I am almost positive that you can't go 27-4 without some hard work.

Nah, he was just fortunate to be able to play "game manager" on a good team. :rolleyes: Of course, the same people who say this never seem to bother to explain the 6-10 record the team posted the year before he arrived....

tony hipchest
05-02-2007, 01:27 AM
For one, Ben will not be calling all the blocking schemes solo, Ben will be working along with the center to pick up blitzes and call out the schemes. It will not be like before were Hartings made all the scheme calls.

Before Bens injury there was nothing wrong with Ben and his progress was coming along just nicely. Now all the sudden he cannot read a defense, he has bad work ethics, and what ever else people say.

So Ben will spend more hours in the tape room with his center to talk about schemes.

Besides a few players and some injuries, the whole team was in laid back mode from the SB win even the Coach(retirement mode for the coach tho). Tomlin coming in to put some fire back under there butts is needed. So saying Ben had bad work ethics, when almost the whole team had bad work ethics this last season is kinda just singling one person out.

The whole team will have to work hard to rebound, not just Ben the whole team together as one.
great points, and i love the optimism of this thread, siss.

before ben was almost wiped from a football career or face of this earth, he was having his best camp and the coaching staff was clearly prepared to looen the reigns on the 3rd year pro. bens accident threw everyone off guard and stuck a monkeywrench in the plans.

however he finished the season with a 6-2 record that couldve possibly been 7-1 or 8-0 had st pierre not sold the offensive playbook to the ravens. bens accident is long behind him and the 6-2 finish should be proof of that. even the much heralded eli manning struggled in his 3rd year and that was without the benefit of a motorcycle accident, appendectomy before opening game, and an early concussion.

last year is last year and bens progression should be right on track with tomlin as coach. the confidence he is showing in ben despite last year, makes me feel good as a fan, and it should make ben and the rest of the players feel good as well. no sense on dwelling in the past when the future is at hand.

ChronoCross
05-02-2007, 01:35 AM
Tony I do not know man;

Can someone say Cheese; Bens new breakfest bowl;
http://www.west-country-living.com/images/-%20cheese%20making.jpg

MasterOfPuppets
05-02-2007, 02:26 AM
who said ben had bad work ethics? cowher? espn? college coach?.....

TackleMeBen
05-02-2007, 09:17 AM
I think the whole team needs a new challenge. Mikey T is just the man to do that! Maybe now with Ben having to learn defensive schemes, he wont be the first one out anymore.

I think his bad work ethic stemmed from a player saying something to the media and then the media running with it. We all know how the media blows everything out of the water!

I highly doubt that Mikey T will let Ben slide this season. I think he came here to win a SB and prove that he was the 'right' guy for the job.

Buzz05
05-02-2007, 09:30 AM
I highly doubt that Mikey T will let Ben slide this season. I think he came here to win a SB and prove that he was the 'right' guy for the job.

Exactly. Both Ben and Tomlin know their careers are riding with the success of this team. Ben knows he has to step up and become an ellite quarterback after the nightmarish season of 2006. And Tomlin knows he has a Super Bowl Quartback who has been to the promised land. They will both need to learn to trust eachother and push eachother to do greater things.

Who knows, maybe Cowher didnt push Ben hard enough and thats why he got a little lazy..some people (including myself) need to be pushed hard or we fall into a rut

TackleMeBen
05-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Who knows, maybe Cowher didnt push Ben hard enough and thats why he got a little lazy..some people (including myself) need to be pushed hard or we fall into a rut

I agree. Ben seems like the kind of guy that likes to be challenged and prove that he is a good QB. I think Cowher was too worried about retirement, than the team. But that is all good now, because we have Mikey T and we are going to show everyone that we are back and better!!! :tt02:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-02-2007, 01:20 PM
I do think Bill Cowher and Ken Whisenhunt babied Big Ben. Hard to argue the way then handled Ben with the team 15-1 in 2004 and winning the Super Bowl in 2005. But I think now Mike Tomlin will treat Big Ben like an NFL QB. You draft a QB in the first round for a reason. That is to build the offense around him and make him responsible for protection changes..etc etc.

I don't want to say if Cowher would have stayed that he would have wasted Ben's talents. But I'm sure the offense still would be built around the power running game. Of course the Steelers will still run the ball under Mike Tomlin. But it won't be the true power running game that we are use to since Willie's talents fit another style. Plus I would expect more balance on offense under Mike Tomlin. I could see a 50pass/50run ratio. Just as long at the Oline rebounds I expect Ben to have a great year and the Steelers offense to be top five NFL offense. Call me a homer or crazy. But I think the Steelers offense has the potential to be that good.

SteelerFanInCA
05-02-2007, 03:36 PM

Nice post. Right on. I as well believe the whole team took the entire season off last year.

Dynasty
05-02-2007, 07:52 PM
The thing that shows how good of a team we have/had is that we were ranked high statistically, even with all the turnovers.

tony hipchest
05-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Tony I do not know man;

http://www.west-country-living.com/images/-%20cheese%20making.jpg:jawdrop: :toofunny: :rofl:

83-Steelers-43
05-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Screw future Super Bowls, I just want Ben and big blocks of cheese.

As for this "story". Im hoping Tomlin comes down hard on Ben compared to Cowher. At the same time, it's also time for "Big" Ben to take on the responsibility of growing up on his own. I know, Ben can't and should not take any blame in "certain circles" of the Steeler "fan" base. Or should we blame the next coach in line if it doesn't work out?

Yay! I love Ben! :cheer:

TackleMeBen
05-02-2007, 09:02 PM
Tony I do not know man;

http://www.west-country-living.com/images/-%20cheese%20making.jpg

well that would explain all the INTs last year. :flap:

83-Steelers-43
05-02-2007, 09:13 PM
It was the surgery, the o-line, the weather, the plate's shifting, bad cheese, stars not aligning correctly and most importantly, it was the coaching staff.

GO BIG BEN!!! :cheer:

tony hipchest
05-02-2007, 09:54 PM
It was the surgery, the o-line, the weather, the plate's shifting, bad cheese, stars not aligning correctly and most importantly, it was the coaching staff.
at the time it appeared the rooneys were patiently waiting for cowhers answer if he was going to return for his final year. the further removed we get from that, it appears he was given the answer and the rooneys advised him the best thing for his reputation, image, and career were for him to put in his "resignation".

TackleMeBen
05-03-2007, 09:10 AM

GO BIG BEN!!! :cheer:

LOL... the plate's shifting, that is a good one :wink02: thanks for the laugh this morning!

83-Steelers-43
05-03-2007, 09:42 AM
LOL... the plate's shifting, that is a good one :wink02: thanks for the laugh this morning!

Hey no problem! :thumbsup:

TackleMeBen
05-03-2007, 11:23 AM
Hey no problem! :thumbsup:

You made my morning.. cause I was picturing like one jaw higher than the other..lol