View Full Version : Don't Forget About Steelers' James Harrison

SteelersFever
05-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Title: Don't Forget About Steelers' James Harrison
Source: Steelers Fever
Date: 5/02/07
Author: Christopher Stout

Link: http://www.steelersfever.com/editorials/0726.html

Summary: There's one thing about this year's draft coverage that really rubbed me the wrong way. It wasn't Brady Quinn and his blond stewardess. It wasn't the fact that the first day of the draft lasted over 11 hours. It was all the talk about Lawrence Timmons stepping in as the immediate, undisputed replacement for Joey Porter. Everybody had the same talking points when it came to Timmons, and very few commentators mentioned the name James Harrsion.

jasonpirkle
05-02-2007, 12:26 PM
i think you're right. he is a beast. just have to find a harrison name plate to sew onto my old gildon jersey. ;-)

Steelerstrength
05-02-2007, 12:28 PM
I really like what Cowher had to say about him. "...He is a very explosive guy. If you talk to anybody on the team, pound-for-pound, he may be one of the strongest guys on the team. He is an explosive hitter who can run..."

I'm expecting Silverback to have an awesome season! Cowher also mentions his attention to detail. Gotta love that when assessing his qualities.

Thanks for recognizing the slight!

floodcitygirl
05-02-2007, 01:10 PM
It was very interesting watching Harrison's face when they drafted Timmons. Everyone at the tables around us felt a little uncomfortable for him. You've hit on just what I've been thinking since that time. Terrific player and I found him to be very pleasant in person.

stlrtruck
05-02-2007, 01:49 PM
Maybe this will just bring a little more competition to the table for the senior players. Maybe it will also put Silverback on a different playing level!!!!!!

Edman
05-02-2007, 02:45 PM
Remember James Harrison? Are you kidding? How could I forget him?

I personally see Harrison as the silent, deadly type. Joey talked, but when he went down, James came in and the Defense didn't miss a beat. Several occasions I might add. He's the silent enforcer on the Steelers and he's finally got his shot to start.

I've always dreamed of the Steelers Defense being a deadly force. I mean, a devastating force that struck fear into the heart of offenses. I didn't see that last year. QB's got a little too comfy in that pocket for my tastes.

SteelerFanInCA
05-02-2007, 02:46 PM
I think Harrison will work out great. I believe he realizes that it is his time to shine. A little competition doesn't really hurt anything.

steelersfanman92
05-02-2007, 02:48 PM
Competition only makes the best players work that much harder.

FOOTEupyourarse
05-02-2007, 03:09 PM
i think there will be a little competition but silverback will start. if anything it looks like they will sub the two new LBers on the other side in pass rushing situations

polamalufan43
05-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Yeah, I think Silverback will start, but on different plays they will alternate between the other two draft LB.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

nicesteel4life
05-02-2007, 03:23 PM
SILVER BACK is a BEAST! Will always be since slamming a Brownie! He is ready and is up to the challange of proving he a starter.....

Stlrs4Life
05-02-2007, 04:18 PM
I think Timmons will come in on 3rd downs.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-02-2007, 04:52 PM
I am a huge Silverback fan,but the reason nobody from ESPN mentioned him is because for one,he has never been a regular starter before.The other reason is because of how often he seems to be injured.

The Duke
05-02-2007, 05:01 PM
I think Timmons will come in on 3rd downs.

yeah 3rd downs and special teams for his rookie year sound great,and maybe later on he could replace harrison or haggans

cbalke
05-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Summary: There's one thing about this year's draft coverage that really rubbed me the wrong way. It wasn't Brady Quinn and his blond stewardess. It wasn't the fact that the first day of the draft lasted over 11 hours. It was all the talk about Lawrence Timmons stepping in as the immediate, undisputed replacement for Joey Porter. Everybody had the same talking points when it came to Timmons, and very few commentators mentioned the name James Harrsion.

exactly!

i know it's super early in his career to be saying this, but every replay i watch of this kid makes me think he's the second coming of jack lambert. remember the cleveland fan incident? remember how lambert slammed the cowboy kicker? pretty similar moves. plus, open field NO ONE in the league gets after it like this guy does.

i'm loving this dude.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
05-02-2007, 11:10 PM
james harrison got injured...these picks were about protection for the OLB position. and if you've read the recent reports, it sounds like timmons might be tried as an inside LB as well. farrior is starting to lose a step, so this sounds like a wise idea. i don't think this pick is an indictment against james harrison, but rather providing depth at a position that is getting older and thinner. i wouldn't read anything more into this...

Spidey
05-03-2007, 04:31 AM
Could Silverback play inside?

Crushzilla
05-03-2007, 07:26 AM
According to Cowher back in '04

"James Harrison is a good football player. We have played him inside, we play him outside. He has been an integral part of the kicking game. He has taken a very professional approach. From the time he came here his first year to where he is right now, he prepares. The attention to detail, little things; it is important to him. He is a very explosive guy. If you talk to anybody on the team, pound-for-pound, he may be one of the strongest guys on the team. He is an explosive hitter who can run. He did a great job the other day stepping in for Joey, he really did."

Sounds to me like ILB is very possible for a guy his size...

I know camp hasn't started yet, but I feel good about the youth that is being brought in at LB. Harrison, Timmons, Woodley all will be nice compliments to our vets.

IamTheSteelGod
05-03-2007, 07:37 AM
I dont know why we signed 2 LB in the draft anyway! Harrison is more than capable of starting and Haggens as enough miliage left in him.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-03-2007, 08:46 AM
I dont know why we signed 2 LB in the draft anyway! Harrison is more than capable of starting and Haggens as enough miliage left in him.

Haggans was very ineffective last year,it showed immensly.

Harrison can start,but the guy has had some injury problems.Who replaces him when/if he gets hurt?

memphissteelergirl
05-03-2007, 09:09 AM
I think Harrison will work out great. I believe he realizes that it is his time to shine. A little competition doesn't really hurt anything.

Agreed...

I guess in all the hoopla of Timmons and Woodley being drafted a lot of fans (myself included) forgot about a great player who has been waiting in the wings already. Harrison will show what he can do, no doubt about it.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-03-2007, 09:31 AM
Harrison is 28 years old,he's not old,but not exactly young either.I think that's another reason why the analysts forgot about him.