PDA

View Full Version : Lack of speed triggered Baker's draft-day free fall

83-Steelers-43
05-03-2007, 04:57 AM
Lack of speed triggered Baker's draft-day free fall
Thursday, May 03, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Last weekend's draft was deepest in wide receivers, so that is where the Steelers went -- deep into the draft before they picked one.

But isn't Dallas Baker of Florida kind of interesting? The Steelers selected him in the seventh round of the seven-round draft, No. 227 overall. Those usually are the players first out in training camp cuts, until someone like a Brett Keisel comes along on the seventh round and reminds everyone that those draft picks should not be kissed off -- even if one of them is named after one of their most-hated Super Bowl rivals.

Yes, Dallas Baker was named after the Dallas Cowboys.

"My dad loved the Dallas Cowboys," Baker said moments after the Steelers made him their final draft choice Sunday. "Most of my family members were Cowboys fans. But I would say maybe 20, 30 minutes ago, all that changed."

Good thing family members weren't big New England fans.

The Steelers can use another wide receiver on their roster, and Baker should make a serious play for that spot. He already is among their biggest at 6 feet 3, 206 pounds, and his college resume is outstanding. He led the national champion Gators with 920 yards receiving on 60 catches and scored 10 touchdowns last season.

He ranked second on the team as a junior with 52 receptions.

Big-time production at a big-time school with a big-time frame -- what's not to like? His speed and quickness. He ran a 4.6 at Florida's pro day after running a 4.53 at the combine. Scouts also questioned his desire to go after the ball in a crowd. Perhaps there never were crowds around him because he is ninth on Florida's list with 21 career touchdown catches -- Dallas Baker, the touchdown maker -- among his 151 receptions and 2,236 yards.

"One thing we really liked about Dallas was his touchdown productivity and his size," said Kevin Colbert, the Steelers' director of football operations. "We have a pretty good receiving group, but it's not the biggest group. Sometimes, you'd just like to have another big receiver to go along with the other guys -- maybe as a red-zone guy."

The Steelers already have one of those in 6-5 Heath Miller and drafted another on the third round in 6-7 Matt Spaeth, but there is room on the roster if Baker shows them something from now until September.

Four roster spots at wide receiver are locked up by Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Cedrick Wilson and Nate Washington (who made the team, by the way, as an undrafted free agent).

The Steelers kept six on the roster last year, including rookie Willie Reid and special-teamer Sean Morey. Reid is back, Morey is not. They could keep six again, although that sixth spot might be used to keep three tight ends instead.

NFLDraftscout.com predicted Baker would go in the fourth or fifth round.

"I thought I would have gone early on," Baker said. "But, really, I was just looking at it as a blessing and an opportunity. I mean, who wouldn't want to play football for a living? It's something I love to do, so to have an opportunity to play it for a living, I'm just going to take it and run with it."

It's up to him. There will be enough crowds at training camp and in five preseason games for him to prove he is willing to go after the ball knowing he'll take a hit, plenty of time to show he can run precise routes. The pros covet speed, but size and an ability to catch a football can go a long way, too.

That's what uncle Wes Chandler told him, and he's a former NFL receiver now Cleveland Browns receivers coach.

Chandler, Baker said, told him, "Whatever team takes you, just make sure you go in there and you give 110 percent -- and that's on special teams or playing wide receiver or whatever. Just go in there and take advantage of that opportunity."

But then, Chandler's Browns did not draft his nephew.

"He can't take me just because he's my uncle," Baker said. "It's all about trying to win a Super Bowl ... I'm trying to help the Steelers get to the Super Bowl the same way I helped the Gators make it to the national championship."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07123/783046-66.stm

Elvis
05-03-2007, 08:19 AM
I really like this pick, and I think that Baker will push these others that have been here for a few years and not gettting the job done. Their days are numbered if Baker can flourish like the young man from the Saints did last year.. Can he repeat the Saints reciever this year? I Sure Hope So.. dont you?
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

Jeremy
05-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Dallas Baker The Touchdown Maker.

I love it.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-03-2007, 02:20 PM
I really like this pick, and I think that Baker will push these others that have been here for a few years and not gettting the job done. Their days are numbered if Baker can flourish like the young man from the Saints did last year.. Can he repeat the Saints reciever this year? I Sure Hope So.. dont you?
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

Cedrick Wilsons inconsistancies may be Dallas Bakers chance to use skills unique to his height and leaping ability...and to land a roster spot...I gotta believe that he can get more that 2 TD's in two years!!!

Mosca
05-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Four roster spots at wide receiver are locked up by Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Cedrick Wilson and Nate Washington (who made the team, by the way, as an undrafted free agent).

LOL, if Cedrick Wilson and Nate Washington have roster spots locked up we're in worse shape than I thought. I'd have to figure that ANYONE can be AT LEAST that good. Washington got a whole year of looks out of one playoff catch. After that... well, bring on the competition for the roster spots.

Tom

MACH1
05-03-2007, 02:47 PM
I think as long as he can learn the O fairly quick and be productive he should land a spot.

Jeremy
05-03-2007, 02:59 PM
LOL, if Cedrick Wilson and Nate Washington have roster spots locked up we're in worse shape than I thought. I'd have to figure that ANYONE can be AT LEAST that good. Washington got a whole year of looks out of one playoff catch. After that... well, bring on the competition for the roster spots.

Tom

Agreed. Nothing beyond the starters is a sure thing.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-03-2007, 03:17 PM
At least ONE of the rookie WR will make the team....there is no way that we went after three tall recievers without a FO idea as to what we could do with that type of heigth!!!

Livinginthe past
05-03-2007, 03:40 PM
It'll all shake out in TC im sure - Hines and Holme are the only two that should consider themsleves locks for the 53 out of the WR corps.

The thing you always have to ask about 7th round draft day steals - why did 31 teams pass on him approximately 6 times each?

Injury is always the most plausable excuse, but lack of speed?

Gotta me more to it than that surely.

polamalufan43
05-03-2007, 04:34 PM
There had to have been maybe another reason why he was passed up so many times. Whether we know it or ever know the reason, is another question, but it will probably come up in some monotonous(spl) interview or another.

As for the pick, I could see him starting, and his speed will improve with time and effort. I'd ay we didn't waste a pick on him, for now.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

revefsreleets
05-03-2007, 09:13 PM
His speed doesn't matter as much as his ability to separate from press coverage. And all I care about is if he can get open and if he can catch passes that are thrown at him. That sounds obvious, but think about how many receivers we've had over the years that could do one and not the other, or the receivers who couldn't do either.

Preacher
05-03-2007, 09:19 PM
If our 7th round pick stays through the first two cuts... he has done very well

if he actually makes the team.... well, that is great. But while I like the idea of a big, tall receiver, I doubt we will see him except in short yardage situations... or when we want to play clock control.

MasterOfPuppets
05-03-2007, 10:10 PM
It'll all shake out in TC im sure - Hines and Holme are the only two that should consider themsleves locks for the 53 out of the WR corps.

The thing you always have to ask about 7th round draft day steals - why did 31 teams pass on him approximately 6 times each?

31 teams passed on colston ....how many teams did 6 laps by brady? :hunch: i really do think scouts are obsessed with speed....the ONLY reason ginn was drafted before the other recievers in this draft was speed.

MasterOfPuppets
05-03-2007, 10:12 PM

if he actually makes the team.... well, that is great. But while I like the idea of a big, tall receiver, I doubt we will see him except in short yardage situations... or when we want to play clock control.
wasn't that how hines started out?

Preacher
05-03-2007, 11:19 PM
wasn't that how hines started out?

yep... could be...

Livinginthe past
05-04-2007, 12:18 AM
31 teams passed on colston ....how many teams did 6 laps by brady? :hunch: i really do think scouts are obsessed with speed....the ONLY reason ginn was drafted before the other recievers in this draft was speed.

Congratulations, I knew someone would have to bring up Brady or Colston.

Because they really are the 'norm' for low round picks, right? LOL :sofunny:

Thats why Pittsburgh didn't draft an RB either....every UDFA RB is a Willie Parker.

I don't know what you win just yet.,.....i'll get back to you.

Preacher
05-04-2007, 02:32 AM

Thats why Pittsburgh didn't draft an RB either....every UDFA RB is a Willie Parker.

Well... Cutting through the sarcasm...

There ARE certain teams that seam to be able to utilize Lower rounder or UDFA's. The Steelers are one of them. So yeah, I would think that if anyone found another Brady or Colston or Willie... the Steelers wold be one of them.

Crushzilla
05-04-2007, 11:11 AM

Well, LITP, there is a better reason

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=16379

He was actually projected before Calvin Johnson before this calamity... Quite simply, everyone just forgot about him when his index card was thrown away with an old Subway wrapper...

The Steelers knew that they would be able to take him in the final round...

Jeremy
05-04-2007, 11:37 AM

It's amazing to me how people still put faith in our current crop of wide receivers. Dallas Baker is the 4th best receiver we have right now.

tony hipchest
05-04-2007, 12:03 PM

He was actually projected before Calvin Johnson before this calamity... Quite simply, everyone just forgot about him when his index card was thrown away with an old Subway wrapper...

The Steelers knew that they would be able to take him in the final round...:toofunny: - NICE!

Livinginthe past
05-04-2007, 02:00 PM

The Steelers knew that they would be able to take him in the final round...

Heh heh!

Nice one! :sofunny:

Preacher
05-04-2007, 07:53 PM
It's amazing to me how people still put faith in our current crop of wide receivers. Dallas Baker is the 4th best receiver we have right now.

I have faith in our top two receivers.. I think Ward and Holmes will do absolutely fine this year. I also like Heath Miller. After that, it is a crap shoot.

However, the general post was how I do not expect great things from 7th round picks. If we get them, it is a blessing.

MasterOfPuppets
05-04-2007, 08:06 PM

well ....i never said it was the norm ,and i wasn't suggesting he might be an elite player. you were speculating on why he lasted till the 7th. doubting lack of speed as the cause. baker has averaged 56 rec the last 2 yrs ,and averaged over 800 yds for those 2 yrs. (60 rec..920 yds..10 tds in 06) which happens to be better #'s than ted ginns. those numbers would suggest he hasn't been injured. i threw out the brady and colston names hoping you would shed some of your infinite football knowledge on us ,and tell us why they were bypassed so many times.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-06-2007, 02:08 PM
As I stated in the Dallas Baker thread...(which should be combined with this thread by the way)....Baker ran a 4.47 forty at his pro-day which made up for his 4.6+ time at the combine...so speed wasnt the issue ....His redflags are because he has been labeled a slow learner by scouts who interviewed him and his coaches....there is some fear that he may not be able to digest NFL playbooks....ala Fred Gibson.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-06-2007, 11:11 AM
I love this pick I think that Dallas Baker can become our big wide out to complement Holmes and Ward. I hope that he can replace what we've been missing in our WR corp since Plaxiglass left.