PDA

View Full Version : This year is HUGE

FastWillieParker39
05-03-2007, 04:35 PM
This year is HUGE for Steeler football because we need to make the playoffs this year because if we don't that could spin us in a bad stretch of years.

Yes last year was a year where there was excuses for us to not make the playoffs. BUT this year, no excuses we have to play up to our potential. Ben needs to get back to his old form and Tomlin needs to suceed.

LETS GET IT STARTED!:tt02:

polamalufan43
05-03-2007, 04:39 PM
Agreed. Although I wouldn't say just because we failed to make the playoffs once and if we do again will put us in a stretch of bad years, but it's a possibility.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Preacher
05-03-2007, 09:14 PM
This year is HUGE for Steeler football because we need to make the playoffs this year because if we don't that could spin us in a bad stretch of years.

Yes last year was a year where there was excuses for us to not make the playoffs. BUT this year, no excuses we have to play up to our potential. Ben needs to get back to his old form and Tomlin needs to suceed.

LETS GET IT STARTED!:tt02:

I gotta disagree with you.

New coach, new coaching staff, new scheming on offense, changes in the defense, Last year, we had no excuse... Sure Ben was hurt... but look back at the games, it was dropped balls and receivers batting balls instead of catching them that caused a lot of our problems.

This year, It would be GREAT to make the playoffs... and I give us a 50-50 shot at making them, but it isn't necessary.

revefsreleets
05-03-2007, 09:39 PM
I disagree. This is a team that is loaded with talent, but underperformed last year. We have a franchise QB, an emerging RB, talent at all the other skill positions, and a young hungry and enthusiastic coach. I think Tomlin energizes the team and we surprise a lot of people. Never underestimate the damage an energetic and talented team can do, especially if the Steelers over-perform this year. One stolen win here, and another surprise win there, and this team could find itself right back in the hunt.

yinzer-inseattle
05-03-2007, 09:48 PM
If there was any org and team that could absorb the current level of change it's this one. I agree they're loaded with talent and hopefully a little more depth. I would be surprised to see them do anything less than 10-6. Hopefully that will be enough.

revefsreleets
05-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Look at what the Saints did last year.

SteelCityMan786
05-03-2007, 09:55 PM
Look at what the Saints did last year.

It proves that it can be done.

Edman
05-03-2007, 10:50 PM
The Steelers went 8-8, but they're not an 8-8 team. There were so many games they lost that were the caused by boneheaded turnovers, poor fundamentals, and stupid penalties, which is a result of poor coaching by Cowher and crew.

The 2006 Steelers were a strange bunch. They would look dominant one week (Kansas City, Carolina, Cleveland), would get obliterated the next (Jacksonville, Baltimorex2), or would just plain give games away (Denver, Cincy, Atlanta). The Oakland game is completely unexplainable. I have never seen a Steeler team look so random in my life. You never knew which one was gong to show up. Despite all this, plus Cowher holding the team in limbo about his retirement and Ben's accident, surgery, and crappy season, they missed the playoffs by ONE game. ONE lousy game.

Tomlin is taking over a very, very talented team that lost it's way and is a year removed from a Super Bowl Title, not some perennial loser like the Lions.

FastWillieParker39
05-03-2007, 10:56 PM
The Steelers went 8-8, but they're not an 8-8 team. There were so many games they lost that were the caused by boneheaded turnovers, poor fundamentals, and stupid penalties, which is a result of poor coaching by Cowher and crew.

The 2006 Steelers were a strange bunch. They would look dominant one week (Kansas City, Carolina, Cleveland), would get obliterated the next (Jacksonville, Baltimorex2), or would just plain give games away (Denver, Cincy, Atlanta). The Oakland game is completely unexplainable. I have never seen a Steeler team look so random in my life. You never knew which one was gong to show up. Despite all this, plus Cowher holding the team in limbo about his retirement and Ben's accident, surgery, and crappy season, they missed the playoffs by ONE game. ONE lousy game.

Tomlin is taking over a very, very talented team that lost it's way and is a year removed from a Super Bowl Title, not some perennial loser like the Lions.

I know, thinking about all the problems that happened last year we were only one game from making the playoffs, it amazes me.

Preacher
05-03-2007, 11:49 PM
I know, thinking about all the problems that happened last year we were only one game from making the playoffs, it amazes me.

I know... It does show how talented this team is.

fansince'76
05-04-2007, 12:05 AM

I agree - of the 8 games we lost last season, at least 4 of the losses were complete giveaways through turnovers (Cincy, Atlanta, Denver, Oakland). Another one of the losses (San Diego) was a breakdown in effort on the entire team's part after completely dominating the 1st quarter. Another 2 of the losses (Ravens) were primarily due to a then ex-3rd string QB selling our playbook (thanks, BSP) and the Ravens knowing exactly what we were doing on every play. The Jacksonville loss, well, that was just a bad night. We'll be OK.

Livinginthe past
05-04-2007, 12:22 AM
I agree - of the 8 games we lost last season, at least 4 of the losses were complete giveaways through turnovers (Cincy, Atlanta, Denver, Oakland). Another one of the losses (San Diego) was a breakdown in effort on the entire team's part after completely dominating the 1st quarter. Another 2 of the losses (Ravens) were primarily due to a then ex-3rd string QB selling our playbook (thanks, BSP) and the Ravens knowing exactly what we were doing on every play. The Jacksonville loss, well, that was just a bad night. We'll be OK.

Sounds like Pittsburgh should really have gone 16-0 :wink02:

fansince'76
05-04-2007, 12:25 AM
Sounds like Pittsburgh should really have gone 16-0 :wink02:

Well, at the very least 12-4. The 4 turnover games were complete gifts to the opposition.

DACEB
05-04-2007, 07:08 AM
I disagree. This is a team that is loaded with talent, but underperformed last year. We have a franchise QB, an emerging RB, talent at all the other skill positions, and a young hungry and enthusiastic coach. I think Tomlin energizes the team and we surprise a lot of people. Never underestimate the damage an energetic and talented team can do, especially if the Steelers over-perform this year. One stolen win here, and another surprise win there, and this team could find itself right back in the hunt.

You got that right brother!! :tt02:

DACEB
05-04-2007, 07:12 AM
Another 2 of the losses (Ravens) were primarily due to a then ex-3rd string QB selling our playbook (thanks, BSP) and the Ravens knowing exactly what we were doing on every play.

How much truth is there to that whole playbook thing??? I hear it mentioned all the time, is it really true?? I'm serious, I have not heard about this in the national media. Was this something brought up in the local Pitt. media?

stlrtruck
05-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Isn't every year a HUGE year? I'm sorry but I think every year the Steelers need to make the playoffs. And every year they need to show all the other teams in the AFCN who owns that division

coachspeak33
05-04-2007, 10:29 AM
Isn't every year a HUGE year? I'm sorry but I think every year the Steelers need to make the playoffs. And every year they need to show all the other teams in the AFCN who owns that division

especially baltimore

Crushzilla
05-04-2007, 10:52 AM
Of course every year is a huge year, but this year has a lot riding on it.

The new staff needs to prove from the start that they are going to be competative in a division that isn't easily won. Its not like we're the Seahawks here (though that is about to change as well).

I don't think there is a lot of reason to worry, even if we don't start out exceptionally strong. I can already see the fairweather fans dropping off the face of the earth if we go 2-3. Its a new staff, new playbook. Things may take time to develop, but I see this team (if not right away, definetly in the second half of the season) keeping pace in the AFC. 10-6 would be great. I really don't see us missing the playoffs at all. Considering we came so close after the absolute debacle that was the 2006 season, I just don't see us missing at least a Wild Card spot.

The Ravens are missing some talent from last year, not to mention their own aging problems (McNair, Lewis), and a new tailback who isn't going to stand a chance against our run D.
The Bengals receiving core is not nearly as strong as it was in the past two seasons
And the Browns... well...

The truth of it is we have a pretty nice schedule...
We play the NFC West (4 should not lose right there) and the AFC East (3 should not lose right there). Throw two Brownie destructions and Voila. 9 absolutely SHOULD wins, even if we drop one we'll be sitting pretty.

I can see us maybe dropping the Cards game if it turns into a shootout like Atlanta last year and maybe another one in there because... well... look at the "shoe-in" Raiders game.

If we do start out a little slow it won't be a disaster because our first two opponents are the Bills and Browns. Really, we don't have any strong contests (so it looks at this point) until October.

I like our chances.

Edman
05-04-2007, 11:15 AM
I contribute the Baltimore masscres to one reason...

-Poor team preparedness. They just didn't show up. Way to go Cowher coaching staff getting your team ready for your most hated division rival.

We can hang with the Ravens. And we will. Their Defense lost AD and is getting older and their offense still stinks. It's all a matter of SHOWING UP. Which the Steelers did not do in 2006.

Fire Haley
05-04-2007, 11:18 AM
I see a 5-0 start....

Sunday, Sept. 9 @ Browns
Sunday, Sept. 16 vs. Bills
Sunday, Sept. 23 vs. 49ers
Sunday, Sept. 30 @ Cardinals
Sunday, Oct. 7 vs. Seahawks

tony hipchest
05-04-2007, 11:26 AM
How much truth is there to that whole playbook thing??? I hear it mentioned all the time, is it really true?? I'm serious, I have not heard about this in the national media. Was this something brought up in the local Pitt. media?cool. maybe i started a rumor that has legs. i have never heard anything in the media nor have i heard any fans mention it, but i came up with this theory (it is more of a theory than a rumor) after i watched "americas game - 2000 ravens":

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=15699&page=2&highlight=2000+ravens

Fire Haley
05-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Did your rumor include somebody stealing our D's playbook too?
Cuz it sure looked like every team figured out a way to stuff our blitzes too.

tony hipchest
05-04-2007, 11:44 AM
Did your rumor include somebody stealing our D's playbook too?
Cuz it sure looked like every team figured out a way to stuff our blitzes too.we were 11th in the league with sacks, and were blitzing less often on more predictable downs, and still one of the best rush defenses out there. i dont think good teams need a playbook to figure out when to mass protect, or hit the hot route. our playoff run in 05 also gave every team 4 extra games of film to study.

now, baltimore owning us (on offense and defense) like they never have before, is a completely different story. they werent THAT good and we werent THAT bad.

Buzz05
05-04-2007, 11:58 AM
now, baltimore owning us (on offense and defense) like they never have before, is a completely different story. they werent THAT good and we werent THAT bad.

IMO Billick isnt THAT good of a coach...period. This guy was always said to be an offensive genious...what has he done. Its always been the defense that has bailed him out. Great defensive Coordinators/Minds Marvin Lewis ( Im about to gag for calling him a great defensive mind) Mike Nolan, and now Rex Ryan. I think the balance just shifted this year because Ozzie Newsome stacked the roster with so much talent on Offense that Billick lucked out was able to have a semi-productive year. IMO Rex Ryan is the real mastermind of that team..the team lives and dies with its defense and the Offense is like the Little Engine that could..Ask any Ravens defensive player and they will tell you that its Rex Ryan that runs that runs that team and has the loyalty not Billick

DACEB
05-04-2007, 01:16 PM
cool. maybe i started a rumor that has legs. i have never heard anything in the media nor have i heard any fans mention it, but i came up with this theory (it is more of a theory than a rumor) after i watched "americas game - 2000 ravens":

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=15699&page=2&highlight=2000+ravens

Thanks Tony, anything to make those two horrible loses more tolerable.

Edman
05-04-2007, 04:36 PM
we were 11th in the league with sacks, and were blitzing less often on more predictable downs, and still one of the best rush defenses out there. i dont think good teams need a playbook to figure out when to mass protect, or hit the hot route. our playoff run in 05 also gave every team 4 extra games of film to study.

Simple, the Steelers just didn't show up. You can thank Coach Cowher and the Coaching staff for keeping that stoolie St.Pierre and letting him go to the Ravens, plus the total unpreparedness by the team.

I expect Steeler Redemption this season. If the Rats obliterate us again this year, then I'll reach some acceptance. I still feel nervous about playng them, though.

tony hipchest
05-04-2007, 05:22 PM
Simple, the Steelers just didn't show up. You can thank Coach Cowher and the Coaching staff for keeping that stoolie St.Pierre and letting him go to the Ravens, plus the total unpreparedness by the team.

.so the steelers prepared enough to win 6 of the final 8 games, but decided to mail it in and not prepare for the 2 games against its bitter division rival?

sorry, but that doesnt really fly. my theory makes a hell of alot more sense to me.

FastWillieParker39
05-05-2007, 06:51 PM
I'm kinda glad that we went 8-8 thinking about it. It brought Ben and our team back to reality and now they will be really, really hungry this year espicically with a new coach.

BUCKEYE4EVER
05-06-2007, 09:31 AM
I'm kinda glad that we went 8-8 thinking about it. It brought Ben and our team back to reality and now they will be really, really hungry this year espicically with a new coach.

I don't agree with you here when we were 2 - 6 the season was all but over then. I wish they would have lost a few more to improve the draft pick for 2007 at 8 -8 they were 15th at 4 - 12 they would have been 3rd to 5th much better place to be picking in this years top heavy draft.

FastWillieParker39
05-06-2007, 11:04 AM
I don't agree with you here when we were 2 - 6 the season was all but over then. I wish they would have lost a few more to improve the draft pick for 2007 at 8 -8 they were 15th at 4 - 12 they would have been 3rd to 5th much better place to be picking in this years top heavy draft.

yea but you don't want to be 4-12 because that could have damaged our team for this year. Instead we win 6 of our last 8, show some promise and finish off on a good note.

Elvis
05-06-2007, 04:46 PM
Now, I know that Ben had a rough season/or offseason last year and I hope that all that is now behind him and he is totally healthy now. He has alot to prove in my opinion. All the people that had skeptics about our tittle year be4 last just had that much more to bully us about. We dont know if we would have really beaten the Bengals with Palmer in that playoff game, but things happen and I knew once we got by the Colts that we were gonna win the Super Bowl. It was just our year and I think that we have the talent on our team to win again this year...
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

HometownGal
05-06-2007, 04:59 PM
IMO Billick isnt THAT good of a coach...period. This guy was always said to be an offensive genious...what has he done.

Well - for starters, he took a huge chance on an aging QB with an injury history a mile long. That chance paid off, as McNair brought a much needed spark to that offense. I think Billick finally realized that his boy toy, Kyle Boller, was not going to get it done. I don't consider Billick a "great" coach, but I do believe he is a good coach who gets all he can get out of his players (even the Lewis inmates :yuck: ).

Every season is huge for the Steelers, but I believe this season will certainly be viewed as a "blueprint" for the Tomlinator and his coaching staff. The Steelers are beginning a new era and I think there is no better time than now to make their mark and reclaim the AFCN.