PDA

View Full Version : Steelers meet with running back Kevan Barlow

83-Steelers-43
05-04-2007, 02:15 PM
Steelers meet with running back Kevan Barlow
Friday, May 04, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Free agent running back Kevan Barlow visited the Steelers at their South Side headquarters today.

Barlow, a star at Pitt, has played with the San Francisco 49ers and the New York Jets in the NFL. His best season was 2003 with the 49ers, when he rushed for 1,024 yards on 201 carries, a 5.1 yard average. Last year for the Jets, he gained 370 yards on 131 carries, an average of 2.8 yards. The Jets cut him in February.

Barlow, a graduate of Peabody High School, is seventh on Pitt's career rushing list, with 2,438 yards. He scored the final touchdown at Pitt Stadium Nov. 13, 1999, when the Panthers upset Notre Dame, 37-27.

The Steelers have said they need more depth at running back. They did not select one in last weekend's draft, but signed two rookie free agent running backs later.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07124/783436-100.stm

verks36
05-04-2007, 02:17 PM
i dont really want him he is a washed up scrub lets go some young potential.

Barlow sort of reminds me of DUCE which is a bad thing

atrus20
05-04-2007, 02:28 PM
i dont really want him he is a washed up scrub lets go some young potential.

Barlow sort of reminds me of DUCE which is a bad thing

I agree. Barlow is not exactly in prime condition. His best years are behind him now.

83-Steelers-43
05-04-2007, 02:35 PM
Call me crazy, but I wouldn't mind the signing if he comes cheap. Brings nice depth. It's not as if we are signing the guy to take over for Willie. From what I've seen I do not believe he is injury prone or enjoys eating ho-ho's in between quarters, so he's not exactly Duce Staley. Plus he's younger (27) than Duce and it's not like he was playing behind the best o-line in football while in San Francisco.

I'm not one to hear a FA's name and automatically push the Steelers to "sign him!!!", but I'd roll the dice on the Pittsburgh native and former PITT HB. For what it's worth, Indy was also looking at him.

Parker-Barlow-Najeh...IMO, not bad.

yinzer-inseattle
05-04-2007, 02:41 PM
Duce was projected to be a starter so we paid a lot more for him than we should. With Barlow, I don't see him being offered more than an opportunity to make the team. I expect any deal they strike will reflect that.

tony hipchest
05-04-2007, 02:50 PM
I wouldn't mind the signing if he comes cheap. Nice depth. It's not as if we are signing the guy to take over for Willie. From what I've seen I do not believe he is injury prone or enjoys eating ho-ho's in between quarters, so he's not exactly Duce Staley. Plus he's younger than Duce and it's not like he was playing behind the best o-line in football while in San Francisco.

Pittsburgh native and former PITT HB, I'd roll the dice on him. For what it's worth, Indy was also looking at him.

Parker-Barlow-Najehi like it. offer him vet minimum with good (but not hefty) incentives for playing time, and we have a proven back up for parker who can take all of parkers carries if something should happen.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
05-04-2007, 03:06 PM
it's a good move if it's one year and a veteran minimum...he'd be third string behind parker and davenport. i see it as a minimal risk signing and think it's a good idea.

tony hipchest
05-04-2007, 03:10 PM
one thing i dont get is alot of steelerfans will hate this idea even being proposed, considering barlow a bust.

yet the patriots f.o. are being heralded (not by steelerfans) as geniuses who pulled off a coup by signing sammy morris from the dolphins to replace corey dillon. :hunch: i dont get it.

83-Steelers-43
05-04-2007, 03:12 PM
one thing i dont get is alot of steelerfans will hate this idea even being proposed, considering barlow a bust.

yet the patriots f.o. are being heralded (not by steelerfans) as geniuses who pulled off a coup by signing sammy morris from the dolphins to replace corey dillon. :hunch: i dont get it.

I think some expect the young and talented FA out there (as if they grow on trees) over a Barlow signing. We already have Parker and Najeh, adding Barlow will only make that backfield stronger. For a low cost, I don't see the problem.

ChronoCross
05-04-2007, 03:23 PM
I do not care what the patriots do and who they sign... But each year Barlows numbers of avg get worse and worse. Barlow has only finished 1 full season in his career.. He is a pure bust, there is no argument you can bring to the table to support that he is not.. Id rather go with ether of the rookies then sign some washed up soon to be pine rider.

ChronoCross
05-04-2007, 03:25 PM
I agree. Barlow is not exactly in prime condition. His best years are behind him now.

You should of said Best Year.. Not years.. he only had 1 decent season..

83-Steelers-43
05-04-2007, 03:28 PM
From the Tribune-Review..

and could possibly sign with the team in the next few days, agent Doug Hendrickson said.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_506098.html

Oh Tony, I forgot, if it's not Jerome Bettis it's not good enough for some. Maybe we can paste a 36 on the back of his jersey? Eitherway, if they sign him, great.

SteelCityMan786
05-04-2007, 03:43 PM
just bring in Barlow if we plan to use him more like Bettis.

wise1s
05-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Why do we always go after RB's that nobody else wants?

SteelerMurf
05-04-2007, 04:29 PM
I think you guys got this all wrong.

He had a great year a couple years ago followed by a bad one when their oline sucked and the offense sucked.

Last year 49ers cut him cause they had all pro RB in Gore waiting in the wings. He was traded to the Jets very late, maybe even after camp broke. He went to the Jets and never really fit in or got much of an opportunity.

Bring him in at vet minimum, let him compete with Russell for a spot on the roster. Barlow is an experienced NFL RB. How could you fault the Steelers for bringing him to compete as a #3 RB and have the ability to fill in as a full time runner if needed. You could do a lot worse than Barlow as your 3rd string RB....in fact we already are doing a lot worse at #3 RB.

Bring him in:tt02:

Livinginthe past
05-04-2007, 04:47 PM
Look at the teams Barlow has played for - a poor team in San Francisco and an anaemic offense in New York (NFL rank 25th).

The New York offense in based upon short passing routes and YAC - there RB situation was very much 'by-commitee' with 3 RB's between 113 and 151 carries.

Personally speaking?

I think this move has potential - just because its Pittsburgh it doesn't mean you are automatically owed a starter and back-up the quality of LT and Turner.

Oh..and Morris was a solid acquisition, nothing more - the Patriots are going to a zone blocking scheme this year which is better suited to what Maroney likes to do therefore he is the replacement for Dillon not Sammy Morris.

tony hipchest
05-04-2007, 04:50 PM
From the Tribune-Review..

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_506098.html

Oh Tony, I forgot, if it's not Jerome Bettis it's not good enough for some. Maybe we can paste a 36 on the back of his jersey? Eitherway, if they sign him, great.but remember, bettis was considered a bust when the steelers gave him a chance. infact duckett, and thomas jones were also considered busts. these backs can do fine when they are the primary back with a good line. ask them to spit time and you render them inneffective. if parker goes down, and we still want to implement a gameplan that calls for running the ball 35 times, it would help to have atleast on guy on the roster who could carry 20-25 times and still know blocking assignments. bring in barlow.

Preacher
05-04-2007, 05:53 PM
You all have to remember...

We are not looking for a first string player... NOT EVEN A SECOND STRING PLAYER.

We are looking for a THIRD STRING player that can take up some clock time WITHOUT HURTING US.

Barlow fits that well I think. Furthermore, Barlow may have enough knowledge to help Willie think through a couple more things about being a running back. That is why it is always nice to have older veterens on the team in 2nd or 3rd string positions... thier bodies can handle a few games a year still... yet thier wisdom is a necessity.

I like it. For league vet. minimum, or a few dollars more. Nothing else.

Livinginthe past
05-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Has anybody consider what the potential acquistion of Barlow will do to the HOF prospects of John Kuhn?

Thats the real story here.

Elvis
05-04-2007, 06:02 PM
Duce was projected to be a starter so we paid a lot more for him than we should. With Barlow, I don't see him being offered more than an opportunity to make the team. I expect any deal they strike will reflect that.
:thumbsup: I totally agree. But I hope that we dont sign him.. I cant believe the Steelers let the Chargers get Germaine Race from Pittsburg St. though:banging:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-04-2007, 06:57 PM
Call me crazy, but I wouldn't mind the signing if he comes cheap. Brings nice depth. It's not as if we are signing the guy to take over for Willie. From what I've seen I do not believe he is injury prone or enjoys eating ho-ho's in between quarters, so he's not exactly Duce Staley. Plus he's younger (27) than Duce and it's not like he was playing behind the best o-line in football while in San Francisco.

I'm not one to hear a FA's name and automatically push the Steelers to "sign him!!!", but I'd roll the dice on the Pittsburgh native and former PITT HB. For what it's worth, Indy was also looking at him.

Parker-Barlow-Najeh...IMO, not bad.

I agree since the Steeler are thin at RB and there isn't really any other options out there besides Chris Brown and Corey Dillion. So if Barlow can be signed cheap then it would be worth to add him for depth. The Steelers need another RB period. I'm hoping Gary Russell can regain his form and make the team as an undrafted FA but thats a long shot.

tony hipchest
05-04-2007, 07:21 PM
speaking of ex jets + pitt alums drafted in the 3rd round...

curtis martin is staying in shape and examining all options before he makes a decision to retire.

we dont need him to pick up 1500 yds, or run a 4.5. but someone who can pick up the blitz on 3rd down, slip through the rush on a swing pass, or find the seam for a short yardage gain to give willie a breather, would be nice.

i would even cut big bad john kuhn to see martin retire a steeler! :jawdrop:

willie, najeh, barlow, & martin with retard russell (and possibly kuhn) on the practice squad.

MasterOfPuppets
05-04-2007, 07:28 PM
speaking of ex jets + pitt alums drafted in the 3rd round...

curtis martin is staying in shape and examining all options before he makes a decision to retire.

we dont need him to pick up 1500 yds, or run a 4.5. but someone who can pick up the blitz on 3rd down, slip through the rush on a swing pass, or find the seam for a short yardage gain to give willie a breather, would be nice.

i would even cut big bad john kuhn to see martin retire a steeler! :jawdrop:

willie, najeh, barlow, & martin with retard russell (and possibly kuhn) on the practice squad.
always dissin the kuhn...:shake01:

ChronoCross
05-04-2007, 07:31 PM
I agree since the Steeler are thin at RB and there isn't really any other options out there besides Chris Brown and Corey Dillion. So if Barlow can be signed cheap then it would be worth to add him for depth. The Steelers need another RB period. I'm hoping Gary Russell can regain his form and make the team as an undrafted FA but thats a long shot.

We have 5 RBs on are active roster, Willie, Daven, Big John, Russel, Mosley, along with 1 RB in rehab Verron and hopefully back in black and gold soon, and 2 fullbacks. We will carry max 4 RBs on the active roster come season. Barlow signing would only be for comp in camp if anything.

Sure lets sign a pure natural bust RB. That is all Barlow is. His Stats speak a million Bust words of there own.

tony hipchest
05-04-2007, 07:42 PM
always dissin the kuhn...:shake01:

:whistle:

Big John
Big John

Every morning at the mine you could see him arrive
He stood six-foot-six and weighed two-forty-five
Kinda broad at the shoulder and narrow at the hip
Everybody knew you didn't give no lip to Big John

Big John
Big John
Big Bad John
Big John

Nobody seemed to know where John called home
He just drifted into town and stayed all alone
He didn't say much, kinda quiet and shy
If ya spoke at all, ya just said hi to Big John

Somebody said he came from New Orleans
Where he got in a fight o'er a cajun queen
And a crashin' blow from a huge right hand
Sent a Lousianna fella to the promised land, Big John

Black@Gold Forever32
05-04-2007, 07:43 PM
We have 5 RBs on are active roster, Willie, Daven, Big John, Russel, Mosley, along with 1 RB in rehab Verron and hopefully back in black and gold soon, and 2 fullbacks. We will carry max 4 RBs on the active roster come season. Barlow signing would only be for comp in camp if anything.

Sure lets sign a pure natural bust RB. That is all Barlow is. His Stats speak a million Bust words of there own.

Ok Garry Russell and Mosley are undrafted FAs and really are long shots. I know Jon Kuhn will be back but he still hasn't proven jack in the NFL. Lets see Verron Haynes can't stay healthy to be the third down back.lol At least Barlow has had success in the NFL. True he can't stay healthy but if he can come cheap then its at least worth it to bring him into camp.

I'm so glad Chrono Cross is here to educate me.lol

alabamasteeler
05-04-2007, 10:29 PM
I'd rather have Barlow then Haynes, What has Haynes done for us?

Hines86Ward
05-04-2007, 11:09 PM
If we could get Barlow for cheap, I'd welcome him with open arms. A young RB like Fast Willie with 2 veteran guys like Davenport & Barlow behind him would be a nice RB crew.

OneForTheToe
05-05-2007, 02:05 AM
If they can get Barlow and he works out in training camp that would be fine. Here is my question: how many rbs will we keep? I think we had only two TEs last year on the active roster. If we intend to keep three TEs, we have to find that third TE a spot. I figure we either keep one less WR, or one less RB. Could we start the season with just three Rbs and one FB on the active roster?

Preacher
05-05-2007, 02:12 AM
If they can get Barlow and he works out in training camp that would be fine. Here is my question: how many rbs will we keep? I think we had only two TEs last year on the active roster. If we intend to keep three TEs, we have to find that third TE a spot. I figure we either keep one less WR, or one less RB. Could we start the season with just three Rbs and one FB on the active roster?

Yeah... I wonder what positions are going to lose some players. Is there any reason for us to keep 3 FS this year?

OneForTheToe
05-05-2007, 04:01 AM
Yeah... I wonder what positions are going to lose some players. Is there any reason for us to keep 3 FS this year?

I don't know Preacher .... saftey is a tough position to skimp on. Say you are playing a high powered O like the Colts, where we spend a lot of time in the dime or more, if we take a couple of injuries at saftey during the game, we are in trouble. But, I guess we could go with one less saftey and just risk it.

Still, I have a feeling we might go with just three backs (+ 1 Fb) on the roster. Add a couple of rbs for the practice squad and we would be good to go. Remember, while we had four running backs in past years, Stayley was rarely activated. So, therefore, he wasn't available if a rash of injuries occurred in a game anyways.

The only other solutions would be to keep only five wides or two quarterbacks on the roster. I don't think either will be the case. Naturally, there is always the possibility that the new TE could be a dissapointment and not make the active roster So, stay tuned.

Should be interesting.

Galax Steeler
05-05-2007, 05:24 AM
I say lets give barlow a shot at the minimum price.

Edman
05-05-2007, 10:00 AM
If Barlow comes cheap, go for it. We're not looking for a starter, just a second back to spell Willie.

Crushzilla
05-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Curtis Martin!!

Now that is a sexy signing option...

I would love to see Curtis in black and gold... though it will never happen...

Tankus_Maximus
05-05-2007, 10:27 AM
Aw man...Barlow sux. Let Big John Studd KUHN be the 3rd option.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-05-2007, 10:31 AM

We run some schemes where Tyrone Carter plays up on a wide reciever...jams him to throw off the timing...then hangs out in the flat waiting for the dump off pass to the Rb.....without three FS's....we wouldnt be able to do that if our starter was hurt.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-05-2007, 10:48 AM
We run some schemes where Tyrone Carter plays up on a wide reciever...jams him to throw off the timing...then hangs out in the flat waiting for the dump off pass to the Rb.....without three FS's....we wouldnt be able to do that if our starter was hurt.

Exactly, I remember Carter doing that in the play-off game against the Colts especially early on. That was part of the reason why Peyton and Marvin didn't have their timing early on in that game. That allowed the Steelers offense to jump on the Colts with a 14-0 lead.

fansince'76
05-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Curtis Martin!!

I would love to see Curtis in black and gold... though it will never happen...

I would have liked this notion alot better about 5 years ago. I'm not sure Martin can stay healthy anymore due in large part to age.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
05-05-2007, 11:16 AM
is the love for kuhn being given in a sarcastic sense? the guy is an arena football league player. i'd take tim worley over the guy...

Jeremy
05-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Amazing. The FO found a guy who makes me like John Kuhn.

Preacher
05-05-2007, 03:50 PM

I guess the question is then... How many SS do we have, and can any of them shift to FS. Tyrone Carter did a decent job at SS last year as well.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-06-2007, 10:14 AM

Just to back up what your saying BGF32...Barlow is rotational back..and has proven to be effective when used correctly...and in the manner that the Steelers would use him.

In 2001-2003 he was strictly used as a backup and averaged 4.1....4.7...and 5.1 yards per carry respectively...in 2004 when the 49er FO decided that he was a feature back..(by attrition)..his production dropped to 3.4 ypc..and then 3.3 in 2005. His stats for the Jets are deceiving because he was used more as short yardage back than a rotational back..so his ypc is low and his TD's are escalated.

IF used correctly by the Steelers..he still has some value and we may see that 4+ yards per carry average that he is capable of.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-06-2007, 10:29 AM
I guess the question is then... How many SS do we have, and can any of them shift to FS. Tyrone Carter did a decent job at SS last year as well.

We have one SS that actually dresses on game day..and of course thats Troy...Carters versatility to play both positions is why we have three FS's

Black@Gold Forever32
05-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Just to back up what your saying BGF32...Barlow is rotational back..and has proven to be effective when used correctly...and in the manner that the Steelers would use him.

In 2001-2003 he was strictly used as a backup and averaged 4.1....4.7...and 5.1 yards per carry respectively...in 2004 when the 49er FO decided that he was a feature back..(by attrition)..his production dropped to 3.4 ypc..and then 3.3 in 2005. His stats for the Jets are deceiving because he was used more as short yardage back than a rotational back..so his ypc is low and his TD's are escalated.

IF used correctly by the Steelers..he still has some value and we may see that 4+ yards per carry average that he is capable of.

Exactly and well said my friend.:tt02:

SteelerFanInCA
05-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Definitley take a chance with Barlow if he comes at the right price. A new scheme may do him well.

I'd choose Barlow over Verron.

Jeremy
05-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Definitley take a chance with Barlow if he comes at the right price. A new scheme may do him well.

I'd choose Barlow over Verron.

Right price = he pays us.

stlrtruck
05-08-2007, 09:56 AM
I don't agree with bringing him in. I still believe that Haynes can be productive and John Kuhn is a younger back that I feel deserves a shot at making a name for himself. I remember last year when he was running over players during the pre-season. I know, I know it was 3rd and 4th string players but he was running them over none-the-less. And if you're running over people in the NFL, you've got something.

Give the kid a shot. He'll probably be cheaper than Barlow and have a longer life span on the team. Let's not have the problems with Kuhn that we did with Chidi last year!

83-Steelers-43
05-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Barlow, Steelers near deal
JOHN CLAYTON
posted: Monday, May 7, 2007 | Print Entry

The Steelers are looking at former 49ers and Jets halfback Kevan Barlow, and the player might be interested in Pittsburgh.

Both sides are considering a one-year deal that will enable Barlow, a former star running back at Pitt, to return to the facility he trained at while in college. The Steelers' headquarters is next to the Pitt practice field on the South Side of Pittsburgh.

Barlow had been a consideration for the Titans, Packers and a few other teams, but offers were slow coming. The Steelers have been looking for a big back to pair next to Willie Parker. If things work out, Barlow could be a Steeler as early as Tuesday.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=2863236&name=clayton_john&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fesp n%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d2863236%26name%3dclay ton_john

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-08-2007, 12:49 PM
As I stated in earlier posts...I like Barlow as a rotational back...and his stats show that he is effective in that role...he was misused in San Fransisco.

Preacher
05-08-2007, 01:58 PM
Do we know anymore about the possiblity of bringing Barlow in??

tony hipchest
05-08-2007, 01:59 PM
nfl radio is reporting a deal is almost finalized.

83-Steelers-43
05-08-2007, 02:01 PM
Do we know anymore about the possiblity of bringing Barlow in??

Post #50 is the last thing I've read on the situation. I have not seen anything locally.

stlrtruck
05-08-2007, 02:21 PM
Haynes has produced dick for us. He's a decent third-down back, but if you ask him to run more than a couple times a game, he doesn't gain any yards and he fumbles. Also, he gets hurt. He's one of the most expendable guys on our offense if you ask me, so if we've got a chance to bring in someone who might be better, by all means, let's go for it.

Last year was the one year I remember him being injury prone. However, it doesn't mean it wasn't like that in the past (I've either ignored it or forgot it). But those third down situations were the ones that I thought he was more vital.

As with the injuries, I remember his fumbling being more last year. Then again, last year a lot of other people were fumbling too.

As for the chance to bring in someone better, I'd prefer someone younger and better.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Last year was the one year I remember him being injury prone. However, it doesn't mean it wasn't like that in the past (I've either ignored it or forgot it). But those third down situations were the ones that I thought he was more vital.

As with the injuries, I remember his fumbling being more last year. Then again, last year a lot of other people were fumbling too.

As for the chance to bring in someone better, I'd prefer someone younger and better.

Here are some stats that I posted earlier that may alleviate some of your anxiety about Barlow....

tony hipchest
05-08-2007, 03:47 PM
Yeah, I might be remembering last year more than past years as well, but I still think our main problem on offense is that we need a running back who's a change of pace from all Parker, all the time. Haynes definitely didn't look effective in that role, but Barlow might be. So I'm thinking the need to fix that problem trumps the need for a third-down back.the stats on nfl.com show haynes has fumbled 5 times in his 5 year career, only losing 4. last year against cinci was his only fumble.

on the flipside is willie who fumbled 7 times last year alone and lost 5. funny how haynes is the one thought to have butterfingers. anyways, haynes isnt the back we would want for the bulk of the load if willie went down. barlow should be able to back up both davenport and willies role, which makes him good value even if willie and davenport stay healthy the whole year.

VolatileMan
05-08-2007, 06:35 PM
I live in No. California. I watched Barlow through the 49 years.

The guy is over-rated and a cry-baby as well as a potential cancer in the locker room.

Forget this bum

Just my $.02
VolatileMan

tony hipchest
05-08-2007, 07:14 PM
The guy is over-rated and a cry-baby as well as a potential cancer in the locker room.

Forget this bum

just curious if you have any examples

VolatileMan
05-08-2007, 07:24 PM
just curious if you have any examples

Well, since you asked, In 2003 he played in all 16 games (not all as the starter).He had a couple real good games but barely broke 1000 yds (I feel that is a horrible benchmark in the 16 game erra, but thats another discussion).

So the genuises running the 49rs (Debartalo's, sister's, husbands, son I beleive) gave him a big contract and extension. Barlow rewarded them with barely 800 yds the next year and maybe 500 the year after that!!

Bitching the whole time (he was a cancer in thier locker room). They couldnt get rid of him fast enough.

And what did he do for the Jets? 400 yds in 12 games?

Like I said, forget the bum!

VolatileMan

ChronoCross
05-08-2007, 09:47 PM
STEELERS NABBING BARLOW

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Pittsburgh Steelers will soon be signing running back Kevan Barlow to a one-year deal.

He will arrive in Pittsburgh on Thursday and participate in this weekend's mandatory minicamp.

Barlow played college football at Pitt, which shares a stadium and a practice facility with the Steelers. He'll join a backfield that includes starter Willie Parker and Najeh "Dookie" Davenport.

Even tho I do not like this, and think its a waste of money. Who knows if it will work out are if he even makes it..

tony hipchest
05-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Even tho I do not like this, and think its a waste of money. Who knows if it will work out are if he even makes it..we can always give d. staley a call :dang:

ChronoCross
05-08-2007, 09:54 PM
we can always give d. staley a call :dang:

:dang:The Domino pine Rider. Lets call him :P:bouncy:

ChronoCross
05-08-2007, 09:57 PM
we can always give d. staley a call :dang:

I found Staley Tony;

http://catharticnonsense.com/wp-images/inposts/cubanywelcomesign.jpg

Stlrs4Life
05-08-2007, 10:17 PM
I don't think Barlow is as bad as half of what you guys think. Especially comparing him to Staley.

yinzer-inseattle
05-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Sign him already. Will ya! What do we have to lose?

paw-n-maul-u
05-09-2007, 02:04 AM
At least we now have two legit backups. If Parker went down I would feel a lot better with Davenport/Barlow than I would Davenport/__________. It's a quick one year fix. Next years draft class is loaded with amazing RB's and honestly I'm much happier we went the highroad this time and opted for a temporary quick fix then wasting a third rounder on a question mark like Bush or even Hunt.

Barlow also seems to have a knack for the endzone. yes?

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-09-2007, 09:43 AM
KFFL is reporting that the signing is this morning.

tony hipchest
05-09-2007, 09:57 AM
KFFL is reporting that the signing is this morning.i predict this will be the biggest steeler FA singning since....

since... uhm...

since SEAN MAYHAN!!!!! :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

HometownGal
05-09-2007, 10:00 AM
At least we now have two legit backups. If Parker went down I would feel a lot better with Davenport/Barlow than I would Davenport/__________. It's a quick one year fix. Next years draft class is loaded with amazing RB's and honestly I'm much happier we went the highroad this time and opted for a temporary quick fix then wasting a third rounder on a question mark like Bush or even Hunt.

Barlow also seems to have a knack for the endzone. yes?

Bravo!!!! :cheers: Seriously - what do we have to lose by signing Barlow for 1 year to see what he's made of?

Edman
05-09-2007, 10:46 AM
The Steelers aren't taking too huge a risk. What can they lose?

-Barlow is simply coming in here to be a secondary back and role player, not the starter.
-It's a one year deal. The FO learned their lesson from the Duce Staley debacle.
-He comes cheap.

I have just one issue with this signing, though. Barlow is a headcase. How will the Steelers handle this?

OneForTheToe
05-09-2007, 12:31 PM
I don't think Barlow will be that disruptive, even if he is bad in the locker room. First, there is no guarantee he will be a problem. Second, as has been stated, he will not be a starter (not even guaranteed to make the team). Third, as a non starting FA, who would listen to him anyway? There are a lot of vets on this team that won't give a crap what he says one way or another.

Not every player who is not a perfect locker room guy is TO. TO is special. :flap:

I say sign Barlow and see what happens.