PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins reaction to Ted Ginn pick.

Livinginthe past
05-05-2007, 07:59 AM
Its the first time i've seen this, although i'd heard plenty about it.

Cameron outright admits that Miami has drafted a punt returner with the #9 pick in the draft and then prattles on about what a great family he has.

Most cringeworthy moment happens in the first few seconds when Cameron tells the booing crowd "the thumb should go in this direction" and shows the crowd a thumbs up.

Brady....Brady....Brady........

Hilarious.

Mm2-PKY2wzw

Livinginthe past
05-05-2007, 08:15 AM
Time will tell , but sounds like a major screw up to me. Heck of a first draft for Cam, just go get an old family friend, no matter waht position he plays or how good he is or what you need. He comes from a good family, that's good , right?

Well when you're 'drafting the whole family' it had better be a good one right? :sofunny:

Mosca
05-05-2007, 09:27 AM
I guess they're all going to suit up.... "THROW IT TO GRANMA, SHE'S OPEN!!!!!!"

Tom

PisnNapalm
05-05-2007, 09:40 AM
That's just sad. Miami screwed themselves royally.

silver & black
05-05-2007, 09:48 AM
I think this was a major mistake by the Dolphins. Ginn may end up being a great player, but why would you pass on Quinn when QB is your greatest need? Maybe not right this minute, but C-Pep's health issues are too great NOT to take Quinn, in my opinion.

Ginn will be a good special teams guy, but thats it. Not really what the Phins should have done.

Mosca
05-05-2007, 09:48 AM
You know what, though? I like Ginn as a football player, and before I knew more about him even thought he'd make a good #1 for us. He's a great addition to the team, but a waste of a #1 pick. It's not his fault, obviously.

the kid's a gamer, now it's up to him to live up to the contract he's going to get.

silver & black
05-05-2007, 09:52 AM
You know what, though? I like Ginn as a football player, and before I knew more about him even thought he'd make a good #1 for us. He's a great addition to the team, but a waste of a #1 pick. It's not his fault, obviously.

the kid's a gamer, now it's up to him to live up to the contract he's going to get.

I'm a big Buckeye fan. I've wtched Ginn a lot. He needs a lot more work than most people realize if he is going to be a good NFL WR. He will do good things on special teams but, there are better WR's out there than Ginn. I'm not saying he can't be a good WR, but he isn't a plug in in the NFL at this point.

Crushzilla
05-05-2007, 10:05 AM
It makes perfect sense to replace Wes Welker before Dan Marino...

Edman
05-05-2007, 12:10 PM
I'm not a Dolphins fan, obviously, but that was pretty embarrassing to watch.

Way to go, Dolphins. You're stuck with an overrated injury-prone QB and you skip on a potential franchise QB. Ted Ginn is a nice pick, but you need someone to throw it to him! Duh!

RoethlisBURGHer
05-05-2007, 12:16 PM

Marino has been gone for a long time,there ain't no replacing him.

Miami will have a problem finding a QB for a very long time.Most guys DON'T want to play there because they know they will always be compared to Marino.

Livinginthe past
05-05-2007, 12:21 PM
It sounds like Trent Green is going to be the latest example of the Miami Dolphins 'suck it and see' method to QB selection.

Even if you go with the best case scenario, how many years does he really have left in the tank?

AJ Feeley - costs 2nd rounder, lasts 1 year - throws 4 more INT's than TD's.
Daunte Culepper - costs another 2nd rounder - last 4 games - throws more INT's than TD's

It has to be said that Miami repeatedly trying to find a QB outside the 1st round is looking more and more futile - guys like Cleo Lemon seem to have a limited upside that leads to them being career back-ups.

Stories like these should make you glad that your FO hits more than it misses.

Jeremy
05-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Guys, Cam Cameron was a huge failure as the head coach of Indiana. What makes anyone think he can do better in the NFL?

A bad hire and a bad pick. It's no wonder why the Dolphins are becoming a joke.

stlrtruck
05-07-2007, 09:23 AM
Now I'm sitting here after watching the video and thinking....Monday nighter, November 26 in Da 'Burgh....now all those who have seen the Sepulveda punt and tackle video and have a good imagination...picture this play...

The Steelers from their own 25 punt - Sepulveda nails a beauty of a punt, inside the 15 and Ginn, Jr. makes a grab at it. He gets past the first wave of would be tacklers - spinng, juking, and stiff arming...then as he reaches the open field at the 22, he makes one last juke and as he spins back to the inside Sepulveda lays him flat, knocks the ball lose, picks it up and returns it for a TD!!

Sepulveda then takes off his jersey to reveal a tattoo of the Superman emblem on his chest!!!!

LOL

RoethlisBURGHer
05-07-2007, 10:25 AM
Now I'm sitting here after watching the video and thinking....Monday nighter, November 26 in Da 'Burgh....now all those who have seen the Sepulveda punt and tackle video and have a good imagination...picture this play...

The Steelers from their own 25 punt - Sepulveda nails a beauty of a punt, inside the 15 and Ginn, Jr. makes a grab at it. He gets past the first wave of would be tacklers - spinng, juking, and stiff arming...then as he reaches the open field at the 22, he makes one last juke and as he spins back to the inside Sepulveda lays him flat, knocks the ball lose, picks it up and returns it for a TD!!

Sepulveda then takes off his jersey to reveal a tattoo of the Superman emblem on his chest!!!!

LOL

I would love to see that.But I would feel bad for my boy Ted Ginn Jr.

stlrtruck
05-07-2007, 02:14 PM
I would love to see that.But I would feel bad for my boy Ted Ginn Jr.

Just remember, your boy doesn't wear the BnG - that makes him the enemy!!

revefsreleets
05-07-2007, 07:17 PM
Didn't Ginn only play receiver for two years? I think he was a cornerback, wasn't he? He might be a really good WR in the NFL. Anyway, the Dolphins must have their eye on a college QB graduating this year. Maybe Brian Brohm from Louisville?

klick81
05-07-2007, 08:06 PM

LOL

LOL...was that really necessary?

RoethlisBURGHer
05-07-2007, 08:29 PM
LOL...was that really necessary?

Yes,it was.:flap:

verks36
05-07-2007, 08:38 PM

ya good call

for picking in #9 pick he acted like he had no clue who he was talkin about

tony hipchest
05-07-2007, 08:58 PM
as it turns out, most teams didnt buy into the charlie weiss hype (recruiting) machine that was pushing brady as the perfect blend of manning/brady. it seems many teams didnt even have quinn in the top 10 on their board or theres no way he wouldve slipped all the way down to the cowboys. it was pretty much j. russell at #1 and then everybody else in a group all by themselves.

everybody who has studied his film says brady has serious accuracy issues and was a product of c. weiss and some really good wr's. congrats to the dolphins for not being snakebit. much like linemen and te's (and wr's last year) this was simply a weak class of qb's in 07.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-07-2007, 09:25 PM
Tony,I don't think it was so much as them seeing through Weiss' hype machine.

After Miami,nobody really needed a QB intil KC.KC would have probally taken Quinn,and if they didn't Baltimore would have.

tony hipchest
05-07-2007, 09:59 PM
Tony,I don't think it was so much as them seeing through Weiss' hype machine.

After Miami,nobody really needed a QB intil KC.KC would have probally taken Quinn,and if they didn't Baltimore would have.KC and the ravens wouldve definitely taken him. but they, like all other teams before them, already have their qb's in place.
the browns have c. frye so they needed a qb about as bad as the redskins, vikings, dolphins, texans, bills, rams, packers, jaguars, cowboys...etc.

if quinn was everything as advertised (manning/brady), the only teams that could really afford to pass on him were the falcons, steelers, bengals, and giants. the fact that a team like the jaguars passed on him show they feel he is no better than leftwich or gerrard. thats not saying much, cause if he was rated in the top 5 on their boards it would be retarded to pass on him 15-20. (chargers didnt pass on rivers when they had drew brees and thats because rivers is simply a better pro prospect than quinn)

Livinginthe past
05-08-2007, 07:06 AM
Its not just that they didn't pick Brady Quinn - there has been mixed press on that guy for the last year or so.

Its the fact that they picked a punt returner, one that isn't even at full health - and thats exactly what Cameron called him in the press conference.

Miami has plenty of needs, even if you buy the fact they had Beck graded the same as Quinn, they could have picked an area of need greater than PR.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-08-2007, 10:19 PM
KC and the ravens wouldve definitely taken him. but they, like all other teams before them, already have their qb's in place.
the browns have c. frye so they needed a qb about as bad as the redskins, vikings, dolphins, texans, bills, rams, packers, jaguars, cowboys...etc.

if quinn was everything as advertised (manning/brady), the only teams that could really afford to pass on him were the falcons, steelers, bengals, and giants. the fact that a team like the jaguars passed on him show they feel he is no better than leftwich or gerrard. thats not saying much, cause if he was rated in the top 5 on their boards it would be retarded to pass on him 15-20. (chargers didnt pass on rivers when they had drew brees and thats because rivers is simply a better pro prospect than quinn)

Redskins- The have that Campbell kid out of Auburn that they drafted in the first round the other year,and he played well last year when the finally played him.

Vikings- Drafted Tavaris Jackson in the second round the other year and they hope he will become the franchise QB.

Dolphins- Complete idiots,unless they know a deal for Trent Green will be going through in the immediate future (before TC).

Texans- Just traded for Matt Shuab who has the same amount of boom or bust possibility as Quinn.His first chance to be a starter will show if he he will boom or bust.

Bills- LP Losman is thier starting QB,a first round pick,and played well last year.

Rams- Why would they draft Quinn when they have Marc Bulger starting at QB?

Packers- Favre is still playing and they drafted Aaron Rodgers in the first round two years back to groom as his replacement...once again,no need for Quinn.

Jaguars- QB wasn't a need,or at least a first-round need.Leftwich is a good QB and Garrard was set to be the starter until the coaching change that brought Del Rio in as HC.

Cowboys- Um,they have Tony Romo playing QB.After last year,they obviously have lots of faith in him,so why would they be drafting a QB in round one?

And why didn't the Browns take Quinn at #3 instead of Joe Thomas?Because the team has been through the high-picked QB who played with no offensive line in front of him (Tim Couch).Without a franchise LT protecting him,Quinn would end up no better than Frye or Couch.So why waste the pick and all that money on a QB when he's just gonna get pounded,that is the way the Browns were looking at it.

tony hipchest
05-09-2007, 12:39 AM
Redskins- The have that Campbell kid out of Auburn that they drafted in the first round the other year,and he played well last year when the finally played him.

-and the browns have c. frye

Vikings- Drafted Tavaris Jackson in the second round the other year and they hope he will become the franchise QB.

Dolphins- Complete idiots,unless they know a deal for Trent Green will be going through in the immediate future (before TC).

-t. green is old and not the future

Texans- Just traded for Matt Shuab who has the same amount of boom or bust possibility as Quinn.His first chance to be a starter will show if he he will boom or bust.

-probably did better trading for schaub rather than drafting quinn

Bills- LP Losman is thier starting QB,a first round pick,and played well last year.

Rams- Why would they draft Quinn when they have Marc Bulger starting at QB?

-who backs up the often injured bulger? (rhetorical ?) what about when his contract is up?

Packers- Favre is still playing and they drafted Aaron Rodgers in the first round two years back to groom as his replacement...once again,no need for Quinn.

-1st round pick on a back up. goooo packers! rogers cant even get squat in a trade. hes not a franchise qb who will replace farve. just see the qb's who have tried to replace elway and marino. chargers had brees and still took philips

Jaguars- QB wasn't a need,or at least a first-round need.Leftwich is a good QB and Garrard was set to be the starter until the coaching change that brought Del Rio in as HC.

-chargers had brees and still took philips. leftwhich's contract is running out

Cowboys- Um,they have Tony Romo playing QB.After last year,they obviously have lots of faith in him,so why would they be drafting a QB in round one?

-chargers had brees and still took philips. are you sold on romo being "the franchise"? jerry jones is. then again he thought quincy carter was "the franchise"

And why didn't the Browns take Quinn at #3 instead of Joe Thomas?Because the team has been through the high-picked QB who played with no offensive line in front of him (Tim Couch).Without a franchise LT protecting him,Quinn would end up no better than Frye or Couch.So why waste the pick and all that money on a QB when he's just gonna get pounded,that is the way the Browns were looking at it.

im aware that every team that passed on quinn has a qb. but if he was as advertised, none of those teams wouldve passed on him. even the lions. hell they drafted a wr in the top 10 3 times in the past 4 yeas, but when a blue chip wr, fell to them they didnt pass him up. tons of team passed up quinn. 1 out of 100 says hes the next marino. 99 out of 100 says hes the next rogers.

Livinginthe past
05-09-2007, 01:56 AM
I don't think all those teams passed on Quinn because they didn't think he had the potential to be a very good NFL QB - its simply that they had other more pressing needs to spend a 1st round draft pick on.

I also don't really see how 'and the Browns have Charlie Frye' makes any sense when applied to another teams pick - since when did the Browns become the franchise on which other teams modelled their draft strategy?

A 1st round draft pick causes problems aswell as solves them - 1st round QB's do not sit in the 'back-up QB' slot happily for very long - they need some type of guarantee that they are the future.

If Dallas, St Louis or Minnesota had drafted Quinn ahead of other needs then they would have been pulling the rug out from underneath their current QB (most of which are young and not ready to be career back-ups).

You draft a QB in the first round you are basically giving the incumbent QB 1 years notice.

If any evidence is needed that drafting a QB high when its not an obvious need can cause a fuss look at the situation when Philly picked Kolb...and that was only a 2nd rounder.

tony hipchest
05-09-2007, 10:49 AM
I don't think all those teams passed on Quinn because they didn't think he had the potential to be a very good NFL QB - its simply that they had other more pressing needs to spend a 1st round draft pick on.

I also don't really see how 'and the Browns have Charlie Frye' makes any sense when applied to another teams pick - since when did the Browns become the franchise on which other teams modelled their draft strategy?

.you mean like a special teams kick returner with the 9th pick over all?

i look at the vikings, redskins qb and c. frye as about the same, with the same potential upside (if you gave all three qb's the protection and weapons of say the colts, theres really no telling who would wind up being the better prospect. teams like san diego or denver didnt let a franchise qb pass by them just because it wasnt an immediate need. did the vikings really need a rb with the 7th pick? but he was the highest rated player on their board and they couldnt pass him up.

quinn was no more of a "need" to the browns than he was to alot of teams. he was a "want". they wanted him more than they needed him. i take a step back when i hear phil savage say "brady quinn had 2 dreams in becoming a pro. 1) to be the number one pick over all, and 2) to play in cleveland. i didnt want to see his heart broke twice. :crying01:

c. weiss gave a valiant effort but the hype came off like that of a used car salesman. what he said appearntly just didnt match what the film showed. the proof is in the pudding... if he was as advertised so many teams would not have passed on him.

you know what they call a qb with all the physicals, study skills, and intelligence, but lacks accuracy? ..."coach"

im not saying hes gonna be the next jason garrett or gary kubiak. but i am saying matt schaub held more value than quinn in this years draft. dallas believing romo is more of the franchise than quinn tells me alot.

fugawzi
05-14-2007, 03:37 AM
wow, I can't believe I didn't see this thread earlier. It's funny because I read a lot of Dolphins forums/opinion. Now that the dust has kinda cleared, the general consensus is that this was a good draft, and that the Fins did right by passing on Quinn. I agree, and maybe I'm just seeing things through my aqua and orange tinted glasses, but then I read on here how it was a ridiculous mistake, how Miami is a joke, season's over, games' outcome already being predicted, somehow Marino's name got thrown in. (Maybe some bitterness about the '83 draft) The video shows fans disagreeing with the coach's/GM's decision of the pick. So what? How do I, as a fan, know better than my GM/Coach who should be drafted? Especially Cam Cameron, who has some experience developing QBs (Philip Rivers/Drew Brees, etc) If anything, I'm glad our personnel didn't go with the popular/anticipated pick. Something previous regimes in MIA would have probably done. Remember the boo birds from Philly when they drafted McNabb instead of Ricky Williams? Look how that turned out. They did have Beck over Quinn from the beginning. It's true. Only 4 people knew they were gonna pass on Quinn. Coach, GM, Owner, Pres. Mostly because Beck's higher accuracy rating than Quinn's. There were a few teams who could have addressed a QB who passed on Quinn after MIA, so are they doomed too? The whole Ginn only being a punt returner thing is blown out of proportion. Cameron didn't say "we drafted a punt returner" he said "you're gonna enjoy watching this guy return punts". Because he's amazing at it, not because it's his only skill or ability. Miami ranked something like 21st in total offense last year, probably lower, so what other "need" should have been addressed? I guess if you don't pick a QB in the first round you haven't addressed you QB situation. NO! Is it a bad thing to have an explosive guy back there receiving kickoffs? You would think that would be an advantage in terms of field position. So why won't he be able to play receiver in the league? Surely he could possibly do both. Dante Hall, Wes Welker, a couple names that come to mind. Only Ginn's faster. If you haven't already, you should watch this video. You can see him playing returner AND receiver. (add the w):

ww.youtube.com/watch?v=WGyrgqOKZLg

Ginn got hurt during a celebration with teammates after returning an opening kickoff for a TD. I believe it was called a sprained ankle. To my knowledge it wasn't broken. Point is, by his own admission, he is around 90 percent, and team doctors believe he will be 100 by Training Camp. Hopefully. It's early people. Football is in the air. You can smell it. But it's way early to be predicting the results of the draft, or a player's success in the league. We have to wait and see how these players pan out. 'Livinginthepast' of all people can attest to the fact that it doesn't matter what round a QB is selected. His boy Brady was a fifth rounder. He turned out ok.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-14-2007, 12:02 PM
Brady was a 6th rounder.

I am a huge Ginn fan,mostly because I am a huge Buckeye fan.

But I will admit,his biggest weapon is his speed.He doesn't run good routes (unless you send him just straight down the field) and his hands are average.He has to work on his hands and his route running to become an elite NFL WR and live up to his 9th overall pick status.

Where he can really kill a team is by going over the middle.Just slant him accross the middle and throw a light lob to him.From there his speed will take over and he will outrun any linebacker and most DB's.

MasterOfPuppets
05-14-2007, 03:30 PM
im aware that every team that passed on quinn has a qb. but if he was as advertised, none of those teams wouldve passed on him. even the lions. hell they drafted a wr in the top 10 3 times in the past 4 yeas, but when a blue chip wr, fell to them they didnt pass him up. tons of team passed up quinn. 1 out of 100 says hes the next marino. 99 out of 100 says hes the next rogers.
here's a quick way to end this one....if oakland doesn't select russell , does he fall like quinn? i think not.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-14-2007, 03:45 PM
here's a quick way to end this one....if oakland doesn't select russell , does he fall like quinn? i think not.

Nope,the Browns would have picked Russell...thier GM has had a hard-on for him since he was a teenager.

tony hipchest
05-14-2007, 03:46 PM
here's a quick way to end this one....if oakland doesn't select russell , does he fall like quinn? i think not.and most likely he doesnt fall past cleveland at 3. (roethlisBURGHer beat me to it)

ChronoCross
05-14-2007, 03:46 PM

Russell could of easily fell the same way if for say oakland picked quinn. What would change there mind at Miami to take russell instead of Ginn, they already have 1 Cullpepper, why would they pick up another. I am sure Oakland is ready to see them pretty rainbows for INTs. Its a pretty sad QB Class.

You cannot say for sure that it would not happen.

Layin the wood
05-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Im a huge Ohio State fan but the Dolphins reached big time on this pick. Ginn has only been a WR for 3 years and he still has a lot to learn. He played DB/QB in high school and was the top DB coming to TOSU.

MasterOfPuppets
05-14-2007, 04:24 PM
Russell could of easily fell the same way if for say oakland picked quinn. What would change there mind at Miami to take russell instead of Ginn, they already have 1 Cullpepper, why would they pick up another. I am sure Oakland is ready to see them pretty rainbows for INTs. Its a pretty sad QB Class.

You cannot say for sure that it would not happen.they didn't use thier second pick on beck,because thier happy with thier qb situation. they didn't take quinn because he wasn't that high on thier board. which is what these guys were debating.did quinn fall because of lack of talent,or was it teams just didn't need a qb.i agree with tony.lack of talent. no way does all the teams that passed on quinn would have passed on russell.including the browns.

tony hipchest
05-14-2007, 05:35 PM
they didn't use thier second pick on beck,because thier happy with thier qb situation. they didn't take quinn because he wasn't that high on thier board. which is what these guys were debating.did quinn fall because of lack of talent,or was it teams just didn't need a qb.i agree with tony.lack of talent. no way does all the teams that passed on quinn would have passed on russell.including the browns.cameron is known for developing qb talent. word is they liked him as a better long term prospect, especially because of his accuracy. the dolphins knew he would be there for him in the 2nd.

a. schein and s. wilcots have had a great ongoing debate on this since the draft. wilcots is one of the few who had ginn jr. in the top 10 in his mock draft and brady quinn outside of the top 10. him and merrill hoge constantly fall back on their film study and say the eye in the sky dont lie. sure you can coach mechanics, but like speed, you cant coach accuracy.

way before the draft there was a feeling brady was trying to hide something to keep his stock up, by not participating in the sr. bowl or combine. for all his talk that he was the best and should be #1, a true competitor would want to go out and prove it at every opportunity.

another positive for ginn jr is the reports are the new coaching staff were really displeased with what they saw out of chambers in the OTA's

MasterOfPuppets
05-14-2007, 06:13 PM
cameron is known for developing qb talent. word is they liked him as a better long term prospect, especially because of his accuracy. the dolphins knew he would be there for him in the 2nd.

a. schein and s. wilcots have had a great ongoing debate on this since the draft. wilcots is one of the few who had ginn jr. in the top 10 in his mock draft and brady quinn outside of the top 10. him and merrill hoge constantly fall back on their film study and say the eye in the sky dont lie. sure you can coach mechanics, but like speed, you cant coach accuracy.

way before the draft there was a feeling brady was trying to hide something to keep his stock up, by not participating in the sr. bowl or combine. for all his talk that he was the best and should be #1, a true competitor would want to go out and prove it at every opportunity.

another positive for ginn jr is the reports are the new coaching staff were really displeased with what they saw out of chambers in the OTA's

Current Miami Dolphins quarterbacks coach Terry Shea worked out Quinn, helping him to prepare the passer for the draft. He also worked out Beck prior to the draft. After factoring in Shea's hands-on evaluation of these two players, the Dolphins elected to pass on Quinn with the No. 9 overall pick. They selected Beck with the 40th overall pick instead.

obviously there was something about quinn he couldn't hide.

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/05/dolphins-quinn-beck020507.html

fugawzi
05-14-2007, 07:15 PM
Im a huge Ohio State fan but the Dolphins reached big time on this pick. Ginn has only been a WR for 3 years and he still has a lot to learn. He played DB/QB in high school and was the top DB coming to TOSU.

again, way too early to come to these kinds of conclusions. He could develop into one of the best returner/receiver combos in the league...or not. I don't know how true it is, but from what I hear, Fins GM Randy Mueller had heard Houston was trying to get Ginn at #10. Would they have been "reaching" too? MIA got their guy they wanted. No reach.

RothlisBURGHer - You're right, Brady was a sixth-rounder. 199 overall. Makes it even more interesting.

Masterofpuppets - Good points about Shea workin' out Quinn and Beck before the Draft.

Crushzilla
05-14-2007, 07:39 PM
::sigh::

Can we never mention that Tom Brady was a 6th rounder ever again... That comes up 5,230 times ever year...

Mike Webster was a 5th round pick... No one ever brings THAT up... :banging: