PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the ROLB by game 9?

Livinginthe past
05-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Lets say for arguments sake that the Steelers are running a majority of their D out of a base 3-4.

And lets also assume that 3 of those 4 places are nailed down in terms of starters.

LOLB - Haggans
LILB - Farrior
RILB - Foote

Who will be the starting ROLB by the half way point of the season?

Black@Gold Forever32
05-05-2007, 12:37 PM
Lets say for arguments sake that the Steelers are running a majority of their D out of a base 3-4.

And lets also assume that 3 of those 4 places are nailed down in terms of starters.

LOLB - Haggans
LILB - Farrior
RILB - Foote

Who will be the starting ROLB by the time the half way point of the season?

Ok the Steelers will be running the 3-4 as their base defense. With the drafting of Timmons and Woodley prove that.

As for the question who will start at ROLB by week 9? I think Clark Haggans will be the one replaced and not James Harrison. Yes James Harrison had never started a full season in the NFL. But he seems to have more of knack for making game changing plays then Haggans. I think Haggans is ok but he doesn't make enough big plays in my mind. So by mid-season I won't be shocked if one of the young OLBs takes Haggans spot.

Anyway Coach Tomlin has stated he plans on using the young OLBs anyway. So we will see on the field no matter to spell Haggans/Harrison. Plus both OLBs will be in the sub packages.

ChronoCross
05-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Timmons is actually about 10 to 15 pounds to small for a OLB in a 3/4 he would have to put on some weight, I think Timmons was drafted for 4-3 scheme that we will change to in time. Wood at 269 pounds could actually drop in pounds if he is going to play OLB for us and gain more speed in the process. Timmons will get thrown around like a little teddy bear at 232 pounds at OLB..

Black@Gold Forever32
05-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Funny Greg Lloyd was 225 and he played OLB in a 3-4.lol Stop with all the 4-3 talk. Its not happening. If anything it will be a hybrid type of defense. As for Woodley, Adalius Thomas weighs 270 and he seems to play OLB just fine. I see Woodley as that type of player for the Steelers.

polamalufan43
05-05-2007, 02:29 PM
I see Timmons size is different, and something tells me that we might go for someone like that and use it to our advantage. Either James Harrison or Timmons.... I can't really choose just yet between the two because there are disadvantages and advantages with them both.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

SteelCityMan786
05-05-2007, 03:17 PM
I can see Timmons in that spot.

19ward86
05-05-2007, 03:20 PM
greg lloyd was a fast LB, timmons doesnt have great speed. on the other hand woodley ran about the same 40 as timmons and weighs more like a LB should. haggans will not be replaced, he might be let go when his contract is up but i highly doubt he will be released. i think we are all forgetting about the coming out player of last season, Brett Keisel. he has been taking snaps as a LB, woodley used to play DE, so maybe Keisel will start at ROLB and woodley will start as RE.

DACEB
05-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Timmons will have many opportunities to make plays, just not as the starting ROLB. I firmly believe that Harrison is going to make everyone forget about Peezy. Timmons will have his shot in sub packages. I agree with B&GF32 that if anyone gets replaced it will be Haggans and that would be by Woodley.

You will not see Woodley at DE unless it is in a passing situation (dime package) not the base 3-4.

tony hipchest
05-05-2007, 03:36 PM
greg lloyd was a fast LB, timmons doesnt have great speed. on the other hand woodley ran about the same 40 as timmons and weighs more like a LB should. haggans will not be replaced, he might be let go when his contract is up but i highly doubt he will be released. i think we are all forgetting about the coming out player of last season, Brett Keisel. he has been taking snaps as a LB, woodley used to play DE, so maybe Keisel will start at ROLB and woodley will start as RE.

so timmons isnt fast as lloyd but keisel is? do you have 40 times for all these players? 40 times are over rated. some players just play fast. our linebackers need to have initial burst off the line. 40 speed is secondary.

just going off of combine results, timmons can hang with wr's such as larry fitzgerald and anquan boldin easilly so im not too worried about him having cement in his shoes...

i voted harrison. its his time to shine.

Preacher
05-05-2007, 03:36 PM
Timmons will have many opportunities to make plays, just not as the starting ROLB. I firmly believe that Harrison is going to make everyone forget about Peezy. Timmons will have his shot in sub packages. I agree with B&GF32 that if anyone gets replaced it will be Haggans and that would be by Woodley.

You will not see Woodley at DE unless it is in a passing situation (dime package) not the base 3-4.

OR...

We back out of the 3-4 and run a 2-5... With Aaron and Casey on the line.

Then, we drop 3 into coverage and rush two from wherever... or drop 4 into coverage and bring in Troy...

No.. it will NEVER happen.. I am just having fun here, but it would be fun to see!!:sofunny:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-05-2007, 04:15 PM

I didn't say Haggans would released. Was I typing in French? I think he will be the one replaced in the starting lineup though instead of James Harrison.

Woodley at DE in a 3-4? Are you serious? He is to light and short to DE in a 3-4. Usually 3-4 DE's are around 6-3 to 6-5 and weigh in the 290-300 pound range.

Screw 40 times thats so over-rated.lol Hey Coach Tomlin even said Timmons has the RH factor. The Run @ Hit factor. I'll take his opinion over yours and he seems to think Timmons can play OLB just fine in a 3-4.

Elvis
05-05-2007, 04:22 PM
I like the thought of Timmons gettin' to play alot this season, but I dont see him taking the starting position from Harrison, atleast not in his rookie year. And I really dont see Brett Keisel at OLB, no way!!!
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

Stlrs4Life
05-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Timmons can play in a 4-3 or 3-4 Defense.

19ward86
05-05-2007, 08:16 PM
ok hipchest and black and gold fever, when i say speed i mean play speed(a.k.a. how fast they play with pads). 40 yard dash times are just a standard level of measuring. dont tell me that haggans wont be released and will still be replaced, that is pure ignorance. he is making like 2 mil a year, the organization cant afford another 2 mil backup(clint kreiswalt). dont jump all over me like as i said something wrong. someone said that tomlin was going for youth and as i recall harrison is 30 or 31 yrs old and in my book that isnt young for a 1st year starter. and also when did tomlin become the guru of defense? just because he said timmons has the RH factor doesnt mean he will be the next adalius thomas or lance briggs. ill tell you what either one of us could be wrong and ill be glad as long as whoever the starter is plays their heart out.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-05-2007, 08:27 PM
James Harrison is 29 as of yesterday. Nobody said Haggans was going to released.lol Learn to read. You don't draft a player in the first round to sit him on the bench and if by mid season Timmons can prove he can start or even Woodley then don't be suprised if Haggans is benched. Its not like Haggans won't still have a role.lol Coach Tomlin has stated he plans on using a rotation for the LBs like the Dline this year.

By the way Haggans is older then Harrison.lol

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
05-05-2007, 08:37 PM
OR...

We back out of the 3-4 and run a 2-5... With Aaron and Casey on the line.

Then, we drop 3 into coverage and rush two from wherever... or drop 4 into coverage and bring in Troy...

No.. it will NEVER happen.. I am just having fun here, but it would be fun to see!!:sofunny:

Why not
Anything to confuse the offense......
It would be interesting
Maybey we could blitz our secondary and have our line drop back into coverage

Black@Gold Forever32
05-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Why not
Anything to confuse the offense......
It would be interesting
Maybey we could blitz our secondary and have our line drop back into coverage

Actually thats going to be the plan with Timmons in the Steelers dime defense. Since he can rush the passer and drop into coverage. He will be the MLB in the Steelers dime in the future. So the Steelers either can blitz him or Troy while the other drops into coverage.

We used to see Lloyd and Lake do that all the time in the early/mid 90s.

tony hipchest
05-05-2007, 08:53 PM
ok hipchest and black and gold fever, when i say speed i mean play speed(a.k.a. how fast they play with pads). 40 yard dash times are just a standard level of measuring. dont tell me that haggans wont be released and will still be replaced, that is pure ignorance. he is making like 2 mil a year, the organization cant afford another 2 mil backup(clint kreiswalt). dont jump all over me like as i said something wrong. someone said that tomlin was going for youth and as i recall harrison is 30 or 31 yrs old and in my book that isnt young for a 1st year starter. and also when did tomlin become the guru of defense? just because he said timmons has the RH factor doesnt mean he will be the next adalius thomas or lance briggs. ill tell you what either one of us could be wrong and ill be glad as long as whoever the starter is plays their heart out.

personally i wanted to trade out of the 15 pick, but the pick is spent. nobodys jumping all over you. it just helps to have the facts to back your opinion.

Are there any size concerns with him?

Kevin Colbert: For an outside linebacker, sure, ideally you want them 6-3, 260 pounds and running a 4.5. His measurables are almost identical to Greg Lloyd's. You can say that Greg was a sixth round pick, but should he have been a sixth round pick for as good as he was? There are some guys that can play without the great measurables and we have seen him do these things against offensive tackles.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-05-2007, 08:58 PM
personally i wanted to trade out of the 15 pick, but the pick is spent. nobodys jumping all over you. it just helps to have the facts to back your opinion.

I totally agree with you Tony, I wanted the Steelers to trade down in the first and select Timmons or Spencer. But the pick has been made and we have to live with it. Plus I think Timmons will be a player no doubt. But I just thought he would have been there at 20-25.

The measurables are so over-rated. I think Zach Thomas proves that. He doesn't have the so called measurables for a typical NFL MLB but he has a very good NFL career. If the guy can play he can play.

Preacher
05-05-2007, 11:02 PM
I will tell you this much...

I don't care who our LB's and/or CB's are. As long as they better then last year as a complete defensive unit.

19ward86
05-06-2007, 09:05 AM
haggans is also better than harrison. maybe you didnt say he will be released but it is common since to figure out that if the best LB will be benched then he will want to be released or traded. these guys want to play and if their job was taken away by a 21 year old they would be pissed. i never said that you wrote he would be released it is just common since. so please shut up.

19ward86
05-06-2007, 09:09 AM
that above message was for black and gold. we are all apart of the same community, lets just cheer for the steelers.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-06-2007, 09:33 AM
haggans is also better than harrison. maybe you didnt say he will be released but it is common since to figure out that if the best LB will be benched then he will want to be released or traded. these guys want to play and if their job was taken away by a 21 year old they would be pissed. i never said that you wrote he would be released it is just common since. so please shut up.

Clark Haggans is better then James Harrison? What evidence do you have to back this up? News flash James Harrison hasn't even started a full season yet. So we don't know if he is better or not then Clark Haggans. But this what I do know about Clark Haggans he is ok for an OLB. But ok for an OLB doesn't cut it for a OLB in a 3-4. A 3-4 OLB must make game changing plays and for the most part Clark doesn't get the job done. He has never had double digit sacks in a season. He only has 1 career INT. Finally he really doesn't cause alot of fumbles. Those are called game changing plays.lol You don't see RH factor with Clark Haggans.

Now for James Harrison the times he has played he has shown he has more of a knack for making game changing plays and does have the RH factor. I'm not saying he will be better then Clark but I have feeling he will prove he is a very good player this year.

As for the young OLBs. You don't draft players in the 1st and 2nd rounds to sit on the bench forever. If Timmons or Woodley prove by mid season they can start. Then you will see them in the starting lineup sooner rather then later. Plus Clark Haggans will be FA next year and I really don't see him in the future plans for this team.

As for shutting up. Is this your forum? No its not so I'll keep commenting all I want. But my friend get a clue about Clark Haggans. He isn't as good as you think he is. Like I said he is ok and really is better suited for a backup role. The only reason he has been starting since the Steelers really havn't had that young stud OLB to take over at OLB and Cowher has always showed to much loyalty to his vets.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-06-2007, 10:08 AM
Haggans will probably see less time by the end of the year than Harrison. With Haggans becoming a UFA next year..the steelers will save a boatload of money if they can get Woodley and Timmons ready to take his place by the end of the season.
I would defy anyone to show me a game that we lost an edge when either Porter or Haggans were out and Harrison took their place...Harrison has been MORE than an adequate replacement for the two and should be ready come day one to make an impact...that being said...the future on both sides...are Woodley and Timmons!!! We had better be ready to see both play significantly this year.

HometownGal
05-06-2007, 05:21 PM
No doubt about it in my mind - Harrison. I think this is going to be a break out season for him. He is our present - Timmons and Woodley are our future. :tt02:

SteelCzar76
05-06-2007, 05:40 PM

LOLB - Haggans
LILB - Farrior
RILB - Foote

Who will be the starting ROLB by the half way point of the season?

Woodley.

paw-n-maul-u
05-06-2007, 07:08 PM
Sometimes I wonder if this is even a steelers forum. Is there some superstar named James Harrison in an arena league that i dont know about that ALSO plays for a black and gold steelers team???

James Harrison is 29 years old. He has never earned a starting spot on this team. He does not have much playing experience. He is terrrrrrrrrrrrribly undersized to play OLB in a 3-4 and thats evident with how he gets manhandled by O-linemen. Not to mention he hasn't even stayed healthy for a full season ... AS A BACKUP.

What the heck kind of play did this guy bring to the field last year that has everyone dismissing haggans so fast. ...

Sure, he has an ok bit of speed on the field. Oh, and he slammed down a drunken brownies fan. Bravo ...

If the steelers have so much faith in harrison to bring the ruckus, then why did we draft two OLB in the first two rounds of the draft???

In order to sign up for this forum there should be two questions asked.

1-"Should john kuhn get playing time?"

... and ...

2-"do you SERIOUSLY think "silverback" is the answer for steelers at OLB"

answering yes to either question would result in ineligibility to sign up for steelersfever.com

Some people on here give this guy wayyyyyy too much credit. look at these monster stats from last year:

20 tackles
ZERO sacks
ZERO FF
ZERO INT
... what a monster

tony hipchest
05-06-2007, 07:27 PM
Sometimes I wonder if this is even a steelers forum. Is there some superstar named James Harrison in an arena league that i dont know about that ALSO plays for a black and gold steelers team???

James Harrison is 29 years old. He has never earned a starting spot on this team. He does not have much playing experience. He is terrrrrrrrrrrrribly undersized to play OLB in a 3-4 and thats evident with how he gets manhandled by O-linemen. Not to mention he hasn't even stayed healthy for a full season ... AS A BACKUP.

What the heck kind of play did this guy bring to the field last year that has everyone dismissing haggans so fast. ...

Sure, he has an ok bit of speed on the field. Oh, and he slammed down a drunken brownies fan. Bravo ...

If the steelers have so much faith in harrison to bring the ruckus, then why did we draft two OLB in the first two rounds of the draft???

... and ...

answering yes to either question would result in ineligibility to sign up for steelersfever.com

Some people on here give this guy wayyyyyy too much credit. look at these monster stats from last year:

20 tackles
ZERO sacks
ZERO FF
ZERO INT
... what a monsterim sure you woulda ran the same smack about the ravens bart scott before he finally got his chance to start. get a clue.

Livinginthe past
05-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Dots....Lots of dots

GBMelBlount
05-06-2007, 09:27 PM
Woodley.

I actually think that may be a very good call. I like what I've heard. May end up being being one of the true standout picks of the draft.

SteelCzar76
05-06-2007, 09:57 PM
Dots....Lots of dots

Take it easy there Pats. The whole grammaticly incorrect usage of 'dots' for the sake of emphasis,...........is my 'Trademark" (insert good natured middle finger smiley here) LOL:cheers:

verks36
05-06-2007, 10:00 PM
I really hope that it is harrison he is really good and has a good attitude

fansince'76
05-06-2007, 10:00 PM

20 tackles
ZERO sacks
ZERO FF
ZERO INT
... what a monster

You're right - the sheer brilliance of Porter's All-Pro-worthy performance at the position last season blinded me to these facts. Thanks for setting me straight.

Crushzilla
05-07-2007, 06:27 AM
Take it easy there Pats. The whole grammaticly incorrect usage of 'dots' for the sake of emphasis,...........is my 'Trademark" (insert good natured middle finger smiley here) LOL:cheers:

Agreed...

I was gonna call my self Dotzilla.... but Czar already took that name...

As for the linebacker situation, I voted Harrison. No one has proved anything to me yet and Harrison is the only one of the three who has recorded a tackle at the next level. So of right now he's the starter and has given no evidence of losing said job :smile:

In reality, though, I see us still rolling with Harrison and Haggans by week 9. I don't think Timmons or Woodley will take someone's job this early.

I'm a little lost of why Woodley seems to be regarded as a more potential starter than Timmons at this point. We're only a week removed from the draft... has something happen that has shown everyone something. It just seems like there would be a reason Timmons would go 32 picks ahead of Woodley...

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-07-2007, 07:19 AM

... and ...

20 tackles
ZERO sacks
ZERO FF
ZERO INT
... what a monster

I dont think you are following what most people think....Harrison is not the long term answer at OLB...and it is obvious from this last draft that we will probably see Timmons and Woodley starting sooner rather than later...This time next year you will realistically see them starting with Haggans released and Harrison backing them up... But Harrison is a legitimate fill-in until the rookies are ready....You cant take one year in which he was hurt 5 games and say that it is a typical season for him. Just the year before (as a backup) he had 45 tackles 3 sacks 1 fumble recovery 1 interception and 3 passes defended....EXCELLENT numbers for a second string LB.....By the standards you are setting, you would have to ignore Bens Superbowl run and go by last years stats...and I dont think you want to go there.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-07-2007, 09:08 AM
I agree LLT.

There is a reason Harrison was nicknamed "Silverback"...because of they way he plays when he is replacing Porter or Haggans.

The Duke
05-07-2007, 12:36 PM
I dont think you are following what most people think....Harrison is not the long term answer at OLB...and it is obvious from this last draft that we will probably see Timmons and Woodley starting sooner rather than later...This time next year you will realistically see them starting with Haggans released and Harrison backing them up... But Harrison is a legitimate fill-in until the rookies are ready....You cant take one year in which he was hurt 5 games and say that it is a typical season for him. Just the year before (as a backup) he had 45 tackles 3 sacks 1 fumble recovery 1 interception and 3 passes defended....EXCELLENT numbers for a second string LB.....By the standards you are setting, you would have to ignore Bens Superbowl run and go by last years stats...and I dont think you want to go there.

yeah, harrison is great but unless he becomes spectacular he will eventually be replaced, not this year though, this year is silverback year.