PDA

View Full Version : Will this team have the will to win?

FastWillieParker39
05-06-2007, 04:00 PM
One of the reasons why we had a "bad" year last year was our lack of will to win. With our coaching staff and our team. Even Willie Parker made statements about not wanting to win as badly as before.

With a new coaching staff, do you think we will have the will to win again? We might because we wanted to end last year on a good note and spring forward into next year and we did just that. Also, the comments made by Ben and Tomlin show that we might be trying to get back. Reports have said that Ben is working the hardest he has ever this offseason, and that the team was dissapointed last year.

They might not though because yes we do have a new coaching staff and that might change some things. Comments from Ward saying how "its weird" with new coach Mike Tomlin. Faneca I know complained (but Faneca complains about everything). Will Willie Parker have the same attitude as in 05 or will have the same attitude as he did in 06?

Its going to be interesting.

OneForTheToe
05-06-2007, 04:48 PM
I not sure I believe that the Steelers didn't care if they won at all. Besides all the other distractions, I'm convinced that the vets just didn't take the early losses serious enough, because they assumed they would turn it on in time to make a playoff run (just as they had the previous season). What the Steelers did in 2005 is likely only to happen once every few decades.

I don't think the Steelers will be assuming much this season.

tony hipchest
05-06-2007, 05:32 PM
they always had the will to win last season. i'd say more than half the turnovers were caused by individual players trying too hard to either be the hero or produce the miraculous play.

what they lacked was the focus. that will be back, and the steelers have as good a shot as any to win the afc north and a playoff bid.

siss
05-06-2007, 05:38 PM
I honestly think that Tomlin is a breath of fresh air and he will have these guys ready for the season and with the will to win...but I'm also an optimist!

SteelCzar76
05-06-2007, 05:55 PM
As professionals,...as competitors of any worth,....the majority of the roster shall always posses the 'will' to win. As will any of their peers whom play for every other team in the league.

But ultimately the thing of greatest importance is as such,....."Force in itself is not enough,....but it is within the quality of execution of any said force,.. that glory is found"

Atlanta Dan
05-06-2007, 05:57 PM
After last season any belief that "we can turn it on when we have to" has been shattered (although given the history of Cowher teams in the playoffs in years other than 2005 why they had such an attitude in the first place escaped me).

The 2006 Steelers were unfocused from the HC down to the special teams - talent may be a problem but attention to detail will not be in 2007.

TackleMeBen
05-06-2007, 07:30 PM
The 2006 Steelers were unfocused from the HC down to the special teams - talent may be a problem but attention to detail will not be in 2007.

I dont think that Mikey T will let them be unfocused this season. They will be working on the small things that help teams win championships.

GBMelBlount
05-06-2007, 10:18 PM
After last season any belief that "we can turn it on when we have to" has been shattered (although given the history of Cowher teams in the playoffs in years other than 2005 why they had such an attitude in the first place escaped me).

I think you nailed it. Only real concern I have though talent wise is OL. Who knows, OL may crush, I hope so.:cheers:

Tankus_Maximus
05-06-2007, 10:22 PM
I think you nailed it. Only real concern I have though talent wise is OL. Who knows, OL may crush, I hope so.:cheers:

I too, am greatly concerned by the O-Line. The success of our offensive unit rests squarely on the shoulders of the hogs on the line.

No line? No chance in hell.

HometownGal
05-07-2007, 08:46 AM
I agree with Tony - the team lacked focus and not a desire to win. Just a gut here, but I think Tomlin will inspire this team in many positive ways and have them ready to do battle each and every week, not only physically but mentally. Nothing in the NFL is a gimme and I believe they were a little over-confident last season. I believe a very capable and exciting new regime will produce a very competitive team in Pittsburgh again this season. :tt02:

SteelerFanInCA
05-07-2007, 01:28 PM
I believe Tomlin has what it takes to get this team going in a positive direction again. I have to believe the team is going to be very hungry and eagier to win this year. Last year's season left a pretty bad taste in their mouths. :tt02:

DACEB
05-07-2007, 01:40 PM
More than ever!! Mr. T will see to that!! I pity the fool that comes in with a weak attitude!!

yinzer-inseattle
05-07-2007, 02:50 PM
If you hear guys who have won SBs (especially 70's Steelers) talk about how hard it is to defend, its easy to see how the 2005 Steelers got derailed. Call it a lack of focus or whatever, IMO that team did not realize how hard it would be for them to beat back 16 teams looking to validate themselves against the reigning SB Champs.

It may sound stupid, but at least they will not have to carry that around this season.

FastWillieParker39
05-07-2007, 02:53 PM
If you hear guys who have won SBs (especially 70's Steelers) talk about how hard it is to defend, its easy to see how the 2006 Steelers got derailed. Call it a lack of focus or whatever, IMO that team did not realize how hard it would be for them to beat back 16 teams looking to validate themselves against the reigning SB Champs.

It may sound stupid, but at least they will not have to carry that around this season.

Yes the fact that it's hard to defend a SB, and the fact that they had so much crap happen to them with Ben. When Ben is healthy the Steelers offense is very good, we saw that the last 8 games. When he is bruised and has a lot of problems health wise he along with the offense is horrible. We saw that the first 8 games.

Atlanta Dan
05-07-2007, 04:27 PM
If you hear guys who have won SBs (especially 70's Steelers) talk about how hard it is to defend, its easy to see how the 2005 Steelers got derailed. Call it a lack of focus or whatever, IMO that team did not realize how hard it would be for them to beat back 16 teams looking to validate themselves against the reigning SB Champs.

It goes back to the statement that opens the America's Game program on the 1975 Steelers (which I am paraphrasing her) - "For some teams winning a Super Bowl is an ending - for the 1974 Steelers it was a beginning."

Unlike the 1974 (or 1975 or 1978) Steelers, Cowher & Co. were so clearly relieved that they finally won after all the AFC Championship losses that it removed any sense of urgency from the 2006 season as most of the coaches & major players either thought about new jobs or at least new contracts - I do not think it was so much they did not know how hard it would be to repeat than that they simply lacked the commitment to do so; they were satisfied with finally winning one, which closed the door on the Cowher era.

Hamer
05-08-2007, 08:51 AM
Well, if that is true, then we can hope that with Tomlin in charge things will not be so complacent. He has everything to prove, he's got the tools to suceed in some quality players on offense and defense, and I think it'll come down to how the players (especially the vets) respond to him.

TackleMeBen
05-08-2007, 12:04 PM
More than ever!! Mr. T will see to that!! I pity the fool that comes in with a weak attitude!!

Now I am picturing Mikey T with alot of gold around his neck when he shows up to camp...lol

pittsburghp8baller
05-08-2007, 12:22 PM
first the Steelers always have a will to win the game. if you dont have a will to win, why play the game? the reason we had a bad was just simply a little string of bad luck. we got of to a bad start and couldnt back on track. Tomlin shouldnt have to come in and put the will to win back in them; it should already be there. football is a game of bascially momentum and luck. we had both two years ago on the way to the super bowl (momentum- winning streak goin into playoffs luck- vanderjagt missing field goal) and the first part of last year we didnt have any of them

Steel D
05-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Guys always try hard to impress the new coach. Hopefully the rookies and the vets will be on their A-game and we'll rebound from last season's 8-8.