PDA

View Full Version : Woodley at Inside Linebacker?

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-08-2007, 10:09 AM
PFW ..in their post-draft, on-line publication....are reporting that the Steelers may give Woodley looks at ILB.

Thoughts?

Jeremy
05-08-2007, 10:10 AM
I like him a hell of a lot better as Farrior's replacement than I do as another OLB project.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-08-2007, 10:27 AM
I like him a hell of a lot better as Farrior's replacement than I do as another OLB project.

I see some method to the madness...alot of us were thinking..."wow...traditionally we have drafted taller OLB's with a little better coverage ability" .....but we all wrote that off because of Woodley's incredible pass rush ability and versatility in playing up or with one hand on the ground.
I still think he will end up being a OLB..and be moved to DE if we go 4-3...but I find the willingness on the FO's part to check him out inside... to be refreshing.

The Duke
05-08-2007, 12:18 PM
wouldn't be a bad idea, but then next year we would have to draft another olb early in the draft

steelwolf21
05-08-2007, 01:18 PM
Surely his skill set would translate so much better to OLB? He's used to edge rushing a passer, not bulling his way through the middle, and while I don't know the extent of his coverage skills, having played DE I can't imagine they're as good as someone trained throughout college to play ILB like Rian Wilson? (the guy from Temple). Even if the coaches give him a look I don't think he'll get many meaningful snaps at the position either in the preseason and definately not in the regular season (Barring horrible injuries touch wood). Plus if they eventually do move to the 4-3 (I'm beginning to think at the most we'll see a raven-esque combi system) we'll only need one ILB to start and some insurance behind him, thus why would they move Woodley to a position where they'd already have that? I think it's probably just speculation meant to keep people in the dark as to what Tomlin will do next year...

DACEB
05-08-2007, 03:14 PM
I think they probably meant Timmons, but nevertheless we should start to see versatility at every position, Tomlin has been preaching this from day1.

ChronoCross
05-08-2007, 03:44 PM
I think we will find out more once camps really get into the good contact and people fight for positions. Probably will be a press release once they know for sure were he will go and work to become a starter eventually.

FastWillieParker39
05-08-2007, 04:29 PM
They should defiantly try and see if he is a surprise but no he should be on the line as a pass rusher.

The Duke
05-08-2007, 04:45 PM
well that's what preseason is for, they should use him at both olb and ilb in preseason and see whre he does better.

coachspeak33
05-10-2007, 08:12 AM
it would be nice to see a 6'2'' 270 lb ILB clogging up the run between the tackles....making the opposition one dimensional....

Then and only then will we all see the return of Blitzburgh

Woodley said on draft weekend that his favorite team growing up was the steelers...and his favorite player.....Levon Kirkland....we can only hope he plays like that beast