PDA

View Full Version : Looking in the past....

19ward86
05-08-2007, 04:36 PM
if you were the GM of the steelers and you could sign one player that is still in the league to play next season which player would you choose.(besides joey porter)

if i could choose 1 player i would choose chad scott. the DB from maryland who was drafted in the late 1990's. he was our best corner at the time but the steelers went for youth.

FastWillieParker39
05-08-2007, 04:38 PM
KORDELL STEWART!!

Seriously though, probably Chris Hope, I really liked him as a player.

The Duke
05-08-2007, 04:47 PM
KORDELL STEWART!!

Seriously though, probably Chris Hope, I really liked him as a player.

Chris was great, let's just hope my boy anthony smith becomes better.

FastWillieParker39
05-08-2007, 04:52 PM

I really liked watching him play last season. Hopefully he continues that into this season :tt02:

fansince'76
05-08-2007, 04:54 PM
I am assuming you mean any ex-Steeler still in the NFL? If that's the case, I would want Hope. If it was any player in the league, LaDainian Tomlinson.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-08-2007, 04:54 PM

Smith will be better then Hope. I liked Hope alot but he was just a hitter. Anthony Smith he can hit and he is a ballhawk.

tony hipchest
05-08-2007, 06:14 PM
mike vrabel is the anti lance briggs or porter. he's happy playing for pennies, thus wouldve given years of relief to our cap and allow us to offer tons of money to his future replacements via free agency.

Elvis
05-08-2007, 07:05 PM
mike vrabel is the anti lance briggs or porter. he's happy playing for pennies, thus wouldve given years of relief to our cap and allow us to offer tons of money to his future replacements via free agency.
:thumbsup: Great Choice Tony...
He is one of those ex-steelers that just got better with age and maturity... he is a great role player in Patriot land ... but I think that Chris Hope would have meant alot more to our team defense though...
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

HometownGal
05-08-2007, 07:22 PM
Fairy Tom. (ducks from the cyber-tomatoes). :wink02:

Seriously - I'd have to say Shawne Merriman - he's a beast. Honorable mention would go to Champ Bailey - he's like the Eveready Bunny - he just keeps going and going and going.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-08-2007, 09:14 PM
I'd have to say Champ Bailey.When the QB won't throw to one half of the field most of the time,you got yourself quite an advantage.

GBMelBlount
05-08-2007, 09:32 PM
Fairy Tom. (ducks from the cyber-tomatoes). :wink02:

Honorable mention would go to Champ Bailey - he's like the Eveready Bunny - he just keeps going and going and going.

You're talking football....right?:thumbsup:

yinzer-inseattle
05-08-2007, 10:09 PM
I know I'm gonna get sh1t for this, but my pick is Walter Jones. That guy gobbles up just about everything on his side of the line. I'd take him over Starks or Smith in a heart beat.

HometownGal
05-08-2007, 10:55 PM
You're talking football....right?:thumbsup:

No - I'm talking mud-wrestling.

Of course I'm talking football - why?

Florida_Steelers_Fan
05-08-2007, 11:03 PM
i think the starter of this thread intended to mean a "former" steeler who is still in the league but on a different team.

if that's the case then i'd take plaxico burress - i know he can be a pain in the arse, but he's a d@mn good football player!

LambertLunatic
05-09-2007, 12:08 AM
We could always sign Kendell Bell. He was the best player that we had in the hot tub.

HometownGal
05-09-2007, 10:08 AM
i think the starter of this thread intended to mean a "former" steeler who is still in the league but on a different team.

I didn't take his original post that way:

if you were the GM of the steelers and you could sign one player that is still in the league to play next season which player would you choose.(besides joey porter)

He said "sign" not "re-sign". I could be wrong, of course, but I took his original post to mean any NFL player besides Peezy, who quite possibly some people would have mentioned.

Livinginthe past
05-09-2007, 10:18 AM
I didn't take his original post that way:

He said "sign" not "re-sign". I could be wrong, of course, but I took his original post to mean any NFL player besides Peezy, who quite possibly some people would have mentioned.

How does that lead to the original poster choosing Chad Scott (of all players) - surely if it were any player in the NFL currently playing then you would choose a starter.

The same goes for Peezy really - I could name 50 players that 99% of Steelers would (hopefully) select over him.

vasteeler
05-09-2007, 11:35 AM
chad Scott???? really??? :dang:

MACH1
05-09-2007, 11:39 AM
LOL, could always bring back the tweenkie eating sweat model on the side lines.

HometownGal
05-09-2007, 11:53 AM
How does that lead to the original poster choosing Chad Scott (of all players) - surely if it were any player in the NFL currently playing then you would choose a starter.

The same goes for Peezy really - I could name 50 players that 99% of Steelers would (hopefully) select over him.

Crikey!!! :wink02: Some took 19's original post one way and some the other way, because he didn't specify "Steelers still in the league" in his first post. It really isn't a huge deal, Nigel.

There isn't a Steeler still in the league today that I would want to re-sign, including Burress. Good riddance to TO's mini-me and his underachieving. :wave:

LambertLunatic
05-09-2007, 12:52 PM
There isn't a Steeler still in the league today that I would want to re-sign, including Burress. Good riddance to TO's mini-me and his underachieving.

Burress is a good player, but I question if he could beat out Holmes as a starter. He'd be a good 3rd receiver, but If we were to re-sign a former Steeler to be 3rd receiver, I'd go with Randell El for his versatility (read trick plays) and special teams.

It's hard to think of many players that we've lost to free agency that we'd really want back. Of all the players mentioned, only Vrable would be a likely starter. This is a pretty good testimony to the Steeler front office.

DACEB
05-09-2007, 01:00 PM

if that's the case then i'd take plaxico burress - i know he can be a pain in the arse, but he's a d@mn good football player!

Sorry but, you've got to be kidding!! Did you watch any Giants games last year?? He only plays half the time (and I don't mean he only plays offense) and if the ball isn't thrown right to him 'oh well'. :banging:

DACEB
05-09-2007, 01:03 PM

Good call Tony, he was one that got away. Vrabel gets my vote as well.

Buzz05
05-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Good call Tony, he was one that got away. Vrabel gets my vote as well.

I agree, I would love to get Vrabel back. He was the lone defensive player I can say bettered himself after he left the Steelers.

Although I wouldnt mind have Rod Woodson back either.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
05-09-2007, 01:56 PM
ben roethlisberger desperately wanted burress back (re-signed)...and i'll take ben's word for things because, you know, afterall HE is the qb of this franchise and i think he might just know a little something about wr's.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Jamain Stephens :toofunny: :toofunny:

fansince'76
05-09-2007, 02:09 PM
ben roethlisberger desperately wanted burress back (re-signed)...and i'll take ben's word for things because, you know, afterall HE is the qb of this franchise and i think he might just know a little something about wr's.

With all due respect, I'll take the Lombardi Trophy the Steelers won AFTER Plexiglass' departure as an indication of just how much the team truly "needed" him....

HometownGal
05-09-2007, 04:33 PM

I betcha dollars to donuts that if you asked Ben Roethlisberger right now if he wanted that slacker back, he'd have a totally different answer.

GBMelBlount
05-10-2007, 12:08 AM
I betcha dollars to donuts that if you asked Ben Roethlisberger right now if he wanted that slacker back, he'd have a totally different answer.

Agreed!

Steel Pit
05-10-2007, 06:23 AM
?????????? I hate most ex-Steelers. ????????? Well seeing how terrible the offensive line played last season, I'll take the safe route here and say Wayne Gandy.

Randle El is the best choice that I've seen so long as he would come back at his old salary. Vrabel is a good choice but I think that he may still be trying to spit out his bad tasting Steelers experience. Hope??? He wasn't all that. I like what I see in Anthony Smith. Plaxico? H E L L NO!

Crushzilla
05-10-2007, 08:02 AM
Sorry but, you've got to be kidding!! Did you watch any Giants games last year?? He only plays half the time (and I don't mean he only plays offense) and if the ball isn't thrown right to him 'oh well'. :banging:

I don't know...

It seems like he's doing alright for himself...

Receptions Yards TDs
2005 76 1214 7
2006 63 988 10

I hate to say so, but we'd be a much nastier offense with him... and he would DEFINETLY be AT LEAST the number 2 man... sorry Santonio

Crushzilla
05-10-2007, 08:14 AM
I don't know...

Receptions Yards TDs
2005 76 1214 7
2006 63 988 10

I hate to say so, but we'd be a much nastier offense with him... and he would DEFINETLY be AT LEAST the number 2 man... sorry Santonio

With that said... I'd take Vrabel :flap:

He's a team player... and continues to be one hell of a linebacker

coachspeak33
05-10-2007, 09:03 AM
Vrabel is a nice choice....but his versatility would never had been utilized by Chin... Bill would have tried to turn him into the next genereations Clint Kriewaldt....YIPPIE!!!!!!!

The best player we watched walk away that is still playing is Plexi-glass.....he had Ben's trust...especially in the red zone....is he a flake???? oh yeah....but most talented recievers are... get him the pill and he shuts up....just llike all the other truely talented receivers in the league....

The more I type the more i am convinced....6'6''...athletic...a true stretch the field guy....post 70's era-we never had a receiver like that prior to him and we have been lacking one ever sonce he took his sorry ass corn rows to the NYC

And santonio holmes would not start over Plaxico...he is a completely different type of receiver....short, quick and explosive...designed for sharp routes and lotsa YAC....every single team in the NFL is searching for a WR like Plex....

Hell Randy Moss has done some rediculously bad stuff...and the completely beyond reproach Pats sold out and bought him...inspite of being a complete a hole and locker room killer they signed him....
Why? 6'5'' athletic as hell...a true stretch the field receiver....lets just hope he decides to moon the folks at foxboro the first time they boo him after he throws a temper tantrum when Brady looks him off

Moss makes Plexiglass look like Hines Ward

HometownGal
05-10-2007, 09:19 AM
I don't know...

Receptions Yards TDs
2005 76 1214 7
2006 63 988 10

Of course he has good numbers with the Giants - who else does Baby Eli have to throw to other than Jeremy Shockey? Toomer is aging and Sinorice Moss remains unproven at this point.

I'm glad he and his sour puss "me-me-me" 'tude is outta Pittsburgh.

DACEB
05-10-2007, 09:29 AM
I'm glad he and his sour puss "me-me-me" 'tude is outta Pittsburgh.

Thank you, HTG! Truely talented??? Highly overrated!!!

Florida_Steelers_Fan
05-10-2007, 10:03 AM
the randy moss comparison (noted above) is a somewhat fair comparison...and the "model" franchise for this era (patriots) believe they can use the guy, and basically "stole" him for a 4th round pick.

and plex is nothing near that bad...sorry, but i'd still take him back. the poor kid got labeled for 1) spiking the football on his first catch, and 2) the mother's day issue. other than that i don't think he was an issue. he got labeled (unfairly, i might add) as a "selfish" player. he brings a unique quality to the offense of a football team and i believe he made hines ward a better football player.

Livinginthe past
05-10-2007, 10:16 AM
the randy moss comparison (noted above) is a somewhat fair comparison...and the "model" franchise for this era (patriots) believe they can use the guy, and basically "stole" him for a 4th round pick.

and plex is nothing near that bad...sorry, but i'd still take him back. the poor kid got labeled for 1) spiking the football on his first catch, and 2) the mother's day issue. other than that i don't think he was an issue. he got labeled (unfairly, i might add) as a "selfish" player. he brings a unique quality to the offense of a football team and i believe he made hines ward a better football player.

Plaxico is attending his first voluntary TC this year at the request of Eli Manning - he asked him to attend in previous years but he preferred to remain in Maimi with Shockey.

I think thats an awful thing to happen to a QB - request a favor from your WR and have him ignore it - WR/QB chemistry/respect is one of the most important factors in making a successful offense.

coachspeak33
05-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Plax has NEVER commited the selfish acts approaching what Randy Moss has done, however..

Last 6 seasons statistical comparison (keep in mind every team Moss has been on makes him the focal point of the offense....hell, remember Tice having the Randy-meter, measuring the number of plays designed for him!!!

Rec Yds Ave TD 1st down catches per season
63 1015 16.1 6.5 46
75 1089 14.5 9.6 53

very similar numbers.... a helluva lot less baggage with Plex.

He got a real bad rep in Pitt cause he isnt Hines Ward.....got news for everybody Hines is one of the games bestt all around WR's and a fantasttic teammate who goes over the middle, plays hurt, and is who I want on 3rd and 6 catching a dig route

Here are Hines numbers over the same period of time

87 1074 12.3 7.8 55

HometownGal
05-10-2007, 11:33 AM
He got a real bad rep in Pitt cause he isnt Hines Ward

Nope - Plex got a real bad rep in Pittsburgh because he quickly showed himself to be a selfish, immature, whining beyotch who underachieved but then cried and moaned when he wasn't thrown the ball, and wouldn't know the meaning of a team concept if it hit him square between the eyes. He's already made a name for himself with the Giants, and from what I've read, it isn't a very good name. I'm sure Coughlin was just peachy with Plex not showing up for a mandatory one-on-one exit meeting after one of their playoff games.

I do, however, agree with your statement regarding Hines! :cheers:

Hines86Ward
05-10-2007, 12:16 PM
If I could bring back any ex-Steeler that wasn't named Joey Porter?....Hmmmm....

I'd go with Mike Vrabel or Kendrell Bell.

SteelerMurf
05-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Kendrell Bell? He has done NOTHING since leaving to KC. Is he even going to be a starter this year for them? I watched several KC games over the last couple years and rarely do you even notice him on the field let alone making a play

coachspeak33
05-10-2007, 12:36 PM
Nope - Plex got a real bad rep in Pittsburgh because he quickly showed himself to be a selfish, immature, whining beyotch who underachieved but then cried and moaned when he wasn't thrown the ball, and wouldn't know the meaning of a team concept if it hit him square between the eyes. He's already made a name for himself with the Giants, and from what I've read, it isn't a very good name. I'm sure Coughlin was just peachy with Plex not showing up for a mandatory one-on-one exit meeting after one of their playoff games.

I do, however, agree with your statement regarding Hines! :cheers:

First of all, I might be able to fill up the Grand Canyon with all of the NFL players who have played for Coughlin and were labeled attitude problems....Coughlin is a complete jerk....Did you see the way he treated Kiwanuka after he made an effort mistake....the guy was simply trying too hard and Coughlin screams at him??? What a Richard!!!!!

Second, all WR's are selfish, immature, whinning beyotches....Even Hines, as unselfish as he is considered, has made himself look bad with comments in the media or selfish acts on the field cause he wasnt getting the rock thrown his way enough....

Look Plex was shipped outta here because of monetary reasons....not because he was a bad guy....we fans get all worked up about out of season issues (see Faneca this off season for example) meanwhile the professionals we are all discussing could care less....his mothers day stuff is small potatoes compared to other WR's in the league...Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt, these guys are the exception not the rule...that honor belongs to Steve Smith, TO, Moss, Chad Johnson, and people of that ilk.....Plax isnt in their category....hes probably somewhere in the middle

He is one of the rarest athletes in the NFL...and somebody that the other team has to alter their coverages for....we havent had that kind of weapon on offense since we had Plax....

Okay i am gonna go watch some films of Cedric Wilson, Nate Washington, Lee Mays, and the rest of those guys who are........ummm.....better teammates, albeit less productive ones

I'll take Plex....you can have nice guys like Lee freaking Mays

SteelerMurf
05-10-2007, 12:37 PM

They were good buddies, that was a factor and what QB have you ever heard happy to see a WR leave and be replaced with the likes of Cedrick Wilson?

coachspeak33
05-10-2007, 12:40 PM
Kendrell Bell? He has done NOTHING since leaving KC. Is he even going to be a starter this year for them? I watched several KC games over the last couple years and rarely do you even notice him on the field let alone making a play

Thank you murf

Great thread....some need to look at things realistically though....and not using rose colored....oh, i should say black and gold colored glasses:dang:

Next their gonna say Cedric Wilson is better than Plax.....I mean hell he won a SB:banging:

coachspeak33
05-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Did you ever hear the story of idiot Yankee fans who booed Maris....cuz there was just somethin about him.....only to madly support a fall down drunk like Mantle.....cuz there was just something about HIM????

Hines had his best years when Plex was stretching things vertically.....Hines hasnt been the same since.....cuz of constant safety shading and double teams

Its like Gregg Lloyds t shirt use to read.....I am not paid for my disposition.

Dont make Plex somethin hes not cuz he dont wear BnG anymore....and cuase he isnt Hines Ward....Hines is one of a kind.

evertime i see Cedric Wilson and his 2.75 cap hit....... I long for the days when plax would skip a voluntary workout in May....then go out in Novemeber and December and get 1,000 yds, 8 TD's and make all of his teammates on offense better because of the respecct he gets from D-coordinators.

Dynasty
05-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Since Plex left, hines hasn't been as good.. people talk about the WR-QB relationship, but the wr-wr rellationship is important too.

fansince'76
05-10-2007, 08:18 PM
First of all, I might be able to fill up the Grand Canyon with all of the NFL players who have played for Coughlin and were labeled attitude problems....Coughlin is a complete jerk....Did you see the way he treated Kiwanuka after he made an effort mistake....the guy was simply trying too hard and Coughlin screams at him??? What a Richard!!!!!

Second, all WR's are selfish, immature, whinning beyotches....Even Hines, as unselfish as he is considered, has made himself look bad with comments in the media or selfish acts on the field cause he wasnt getting the rock thrown his way enough....

Two things:

1. Plax was a whiny malcontent who regularly took plays off well before going to the Giants. The trend simply continued in the Meadowlands.

2. When's the last time Plax pancaked a LB on a block?

Preacher
05-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Plaxico...

I remember him taking plays off a number of times... I also remember MORE THEN ONCE him catching the ball... and then simply putting the ball on the carpet, getting up and walking away.

Heck.. .I even remember the ref one time having to get on the microphone, "THe player gave up on the play, thus ending the play. It is not a fumble." The day he went to the Giants I told my Father-in-law who was a BIG Giants fan... "Don't get excited, when you need him most, he will disappear, or worse, just give up on something that is absolutely needed... a play he won't run to the endzone for... a overthrown ball he won't get... Dont get excited."

Trust me... while I hoped he would grow up and out of this... I was glad to see him gone when it seemed he wouldn't.

And yeah.. Players ARE PAYED FOR THIS DISPOSITION. Just ask T.O and San Francisco... T.O and PHilly. Think about why Bettis was kept on in Pitt when he really was past his prime that last year...

Sorry. It is all one package.. and I am glad to see that package gone from Pitt.

Who I would LIKE to see in Black and Gold: Well... I can't really think of any. Vrable would be nice.

What ex-Steeler would I like to see in the Black and Gold? Still Playing? Well.. again Vrable.. maybe.

vader29
05-10-2007, 09:40 PM
I'd have to go with Randle El, still young and we would have been in the playoffs last season if he would have been here returning punts. Vrabel would be a good choice also.