PDA

View Full Version : Grade the Coach

steeler614
05-08-2007, 04:35 PM
well now that the draft and free agency is over, the coaching staff is set, what does everyone think of Coach Tomlin after a few months? I wasn't sure of him taking over as head coach and at times didn't think he was right for the job. well his decisions have proven me wrong I found out we got a very intelligent head coach and I like his philosophy, he is an upgrade over last years zombie-Cowher. Tomlin let it be known he is here for one reason and that is to win games. I know he has had a lot of influence in drafting players and the right choices were made with fixing the pass rush and special teams. I understand it was hard to see Peezy let go but with our new picks and James Harrison we shouldn't miss a step. I also happy for retaining Dick LeBeau as DC and sticking with the 3-4 although I hope to see it switched up with the 4-3 a little bit to throw off opponents, which I think will end up happening. I'm not sure about Arians being the new OC (3 tight ends?) though its good he streamlined the playbook. for now I give Tomlin an A he has tackled quite a few problems on this team and I hope he keeps up the good work.

Atlanta Dan
05-08-2007, 04:49 PM
Only Steelers head coach in history to be undefeated - A++++++++:thumbsup:

Hard to grade anyone at this stage absent some knowledge how much involvement he had in the decisions to cut Porter, not be able to reach contract detente with Faneca, and draft a TE + punter in rounds 3 and 4 of the draft.

tony hipchest
05-08-2007, 04:59 PM
A- i was very skeptical as a cowher supporter and felt the 2 best candidates to replace him were in house. i now feel like his personality and youth translates well to what the rooneys are looking at, for a long term solution to a coaching vacancy.

the draft had purpose and direction. recent day 2 picks seemed to be throwing darts at the draftboard.

handling of porter was swift. it was mildly distracting, but hasnt snowballed like it couldve.

while fans are uneasy by fanecas situation, tomlin has taken it in stride, not over reacted, and its like he isnt even affected.

the young players seem to be buying into him already.

sticking with lebeau and a familiar offense shows he knows a good thing when he see's it and is not going to try and "reinvent the wheel".

steelersfanmx
05-08-2007, 05:24 PM
I am really confident about Mike Tomlin... actually I can't wait to see this new team
in the opener season... the only thing Im not sure... Pittsburgh still be a Smash mouth football team? or this new offense is going to rely more on the pass?.. What do you think?

The Duke
05-08-2007, 05:32 PM
I am really confident about Mike Tomlin... actually I can't wait to see this new team
in the opener season... the only thing Im not sure... Pittsburgh still be a Smash mouth football team? or this new offense is going to rely more on the pass?.. What do you think?

Seems like a combination to me, i love rushing more than passing in a game but we'll see...

HometownGal
05-08-2007, 06:28 PM
As Dan stated above, it is difficult at this point in time to grade Tomlin without seeing first-hand what he teaches in the "classroom" and on the field translates into positives on game day. From what I've seen of him on TV and heard on the radio, on the surface he appears to be a perfect fit for the Steelers' philosophies and I don't think there is any doubt about his commitment to this team or the organization. Time will tell, but my gut tells me we have a winner in Coach Tomlin and my gut rarely lies to me! :thumbsup:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-08-2007, 06:33 PM
I loved the hiring of Mike Tomlin from the jump. I think he is going to be a great NFL HC. But still its way to early to put a grade on this draft and a grade on Mike Tomlin period. He hasn't even coached a game yet.

tony hipchest
05-08-2007, 06:38 PM
so how does everyone feel he has done up to this point?

im thinking if we woulda hired dave wanstett or chan gailey it would be no problem to hand out a C.

Storm N
05-08-2007, 06:49 PM
Atlanta Dan, you seem to have alot of knowledge about Mike Tomlin. Forgive my ignorance and please tell me more about him , he's never had a loss?? GO STEELERS!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
05-08-2007, 06:54 PM
I understand up to this point. But what is there really to grade up to this point? Lets see Coach Tomlin cut Joey Porter. With his age and salary I understand the move. The Steelers were not big spenders in free agency but they never are. Ok the draft is over. I like the draft overall and felt the draft addressed alot of need areas. But still its to early to judge or grade this draft class. Thats why its hard really to grade Coach Tomlin on anything. I guess I could grade the way he and Ariens simplified the playbook.lol Which I totally agree why they did that. I like the fact he is putting so much attention into the special teams. I'm also thrilled he is keeping the 3-4 and the fact he could use a hybrid style of defense. So overall I like what Coach Tomlin has done so far.

As for Wanstett or Gailey. Tony what are trying to do give me nightmares of actually thinking about one of them tools as HC of the Pittsburgh Steelers?lol But I would have the same opinion that it would be to early to grade them as well if one of them were named HC.

tony hipchest
05-08-2007, 07:00 PM
I understand up to this point. But what is there really to grade up to this point? Lets see Coach Tomlin cut Joey Porter. With his age and salary I understand the move. The Steelers were not big spenders in free agency but they never are. Ok the draft is over. I like the draft overall and felt the draft addressed alot of need areas. But still its to early to judge or grade this draft class. Thats why its hard really to grade Coach Tomlin on anything. I guess I could grade the way he and Ariens simplified the playbook.lol Which I totally agree why they did that. I like the fact he is putting so much attention into the special teams. I'm also thrilled he is keeping the 3-4 and the fact he could use a hybrid style of defense. So overall I like what Coach Tomlin has done so far.

As for Wanstett or Gailey. Tony what are trying to do give me nightmares of actually thinking about one of them tools as HC of the Pittsburgh Steelers?lol But I would have the same opinion that it would be to early to grade them as well if one of them were named HC.i dont think i would have as much optomism to this point if it were gailey or wanstett. i think steelers614 was just trying to guage how us steelerfans feel to this point and what grade we would give.

i initially gave our draft a grade of a c-. (2 minutes after our final pick) it has since changed. i give tomlin an A to this point and would say you arent giving anything below a C.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-08-2007, 07:08 PM
i dont think i would have as much optomism to this point if it were gailey or wanstett. i think steelers614 was just trying to guage how us steelerfans feel to this point and what grade we would give.

i initially gave our draft a grade of a c-. (2 minutes after our final pick) it has since changed. i give tomlin an A to this point and would say you arent giving anything below a C.

I'm with you I probably wouldn't be as optomistic to if Gailey or Wanstett were the HC right now. But I still would give them a fair chance before juding them or grading them. I would give Coach Tomlin if I had to give a grade then a B so far. I just hope drafting a RB doesn't bite him in the ass this year. I'm not sold on Dookie being the main backup and the number 2 RB in the RB rotation. Other then that I like everything Coach Tomlin has done so far.

ChronoCross
05-08-2007, 07:52 PM
Ill wait to see how successful the team is on the field before I grade the coaching staff.. Still to soon..

GBMelBlount
05-08-2007, 08:41 PM
i dont think i would have as much optomism to this point if it were gailey or wanstett. i think steelers614 was just trying to guage how us steelerfans feel to this point and what grade we would give.

To me, much of this season, & any increase in Tomlin draft grade rest in how well OL gels & performs. That is my only MAJOR concern.

FastWillieParker39
05-08-2007, 08:44 PM
Yea it's way to early to grade anyone including players. I am liking what I see from his personality and the fact that he's so determined to win this year.

TackleMeBen
05-08-2007, 08:47 PM
As Dan stated above, it is difficult at this point in time to grade Tomlin without seeing first-hand what he teaches in the "classroom" and on the field translates into positives on game day.

Maybe Mikey T can get the QB in the 'classroom' for longer periods of time... :thumbsup:

yinzer-inseattle
05-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Based on what's transpired to date I'll give Tomlin the Y-IS seal of approval. That's primarily based on his decision to keep LeBeau and Arians. The draft picks still need time to materialize. We'll also have to wait to see how his football "philosophy" translates in between the lines. Just a little healthy skepticism.

Socrates was a great philosopher, but I bet he'd be crap for an NFL coach.:blah:

steeler614
05-08-2007, 09:47 PM
what I'm trying to say is to grade Tomlin on his decision making so far. what is your impression after a few months as far as his decisions or influence in making decisions are? I think he has made all the right ones and I bring this up because I judged him for coaching the Vikings a 6-10 team, however I was wrong it wasn't his fault they stunk (Tavaris Jackson a starting QB? please!) he did a lot to improve their defense he is intelligent and wants to win. I wanted Chan Gailey to get the job, I was furious he didn't and that Tomlin got hired. I decided to give him a chance and see how he did in the offseason and what kind of decisions he made, and I think he has done well. I'm glad he's here.

GBMelBlount
05-08-2007, 09:58 PM
Based on what's transpired to date I'll give Tomlin the Y-IS seal of approval. That's primarily based on his decision to keep LeBeau and Arians. The draft picks still need time to materialize. We'll also have to wait to see how his football "philosophy" translates in between the lines. Just a little healthy skepticism.

Socrates was a great philosopher, but I bet he'd be crap for an NFL coach.:blah:

Dang, I thought Socrates coached the Athens crushers to a super bowl in 433 B.C.E.,..... oh well.

jjpro11
05-09-2007, 12:22 AM
grade what? the only thing we have to grade is how he dresses lol.. in that case he always looks clean cut, so an A.

steeler614
05-09-2007, 01:05 AM
hey if that means we don't have to see The Chin's hideous sweaters anymore then I'm all for it.

Atlanta Dan
05-09-2007, 07:12 AM
Atlanta Dan, you seem to have alot of knowledge about Mike Tomlin. Forgive my ignorance and please tell me more about him , he's never had a loss?? GO STEELERS!!!

Umm - it was sarcasm

He has never lost a game as Steelers head coach (of course he has not coached one as head coach).

My point was passing out grades to Tomlin 3 months after his hire before his first training camp arguably is as premature as the situation where talking heads grade a team's draft after the third round is completed on the first day.

As I have posted in other threads, the new coach always looks good until the first loss.

DACEB
05-09-2007, 12:29 PM
I suppose we can only grade him on his phylosophies at this time. I love what we have seen and heard so far. I love the fact that he wants versatility from all positions. It seems to me that he is bringing in a sense of accountability that the team lacked, especially last season. It seems that he is working toward getting the teams fiscal matters in order, hopefully no more high priced backups with limited skill sets. Everything seems to be pointing in the right direction.

I firmly believe that coach Tomlin can actually only be graded after the 2008 season. Grade him after another draft. Grade him after you see who is resigned or released, or who is signed in FA. Grade him after he has had the oppurtunity to work with the FO on the cap. Let the offense have more than one season to gel. Let the man win and lose and see how the team comes back.

I have stated before that IMO we will go 10-6 next season and possibly make the playoffs. If that ends up being the case then I would give him at least an 'A' for this year.

verks36
05-09-2007, 12:31 PM
i cant really grade him really until the season starts

paw-n-maul-u
05-09-2007, 02:23 PM
So far Tomlin has done and said everything right. Seems to be very enthusiastic and I think that's what our team needs, some young fresh blood to get our guys pumped up.

He also seems to have a plan for this team and it seems to be unfolding pretty well so far.

I thought we had a verrrrrry strong draft, esp. after hearing everything from Coach T about what his plan is for this team/ how that correlates with the draft.

IMO, we essentially got two late first round picks from our first two. timmons seems a bit overrated at 15, not because of his potential, but just simply based on his playing experience so far.

Woodley has been a monster for all four years. Honestly, has anyone seen this guy play a decent amount of time? He goes 110 percent on every play. and he has a nasssssssssssssssty little attitude on the field. seems like a boyscout off of it. gotta love a player like that with a nonstop motor and a little fire under his ass. I have noooooooo idea why he slipped. maybe the talent around him?? undersized??? we got a steal and in any other year where the DE class wasn't so stacked, he would have been a first rounder for sure.

coachspeak33
05-10-2007, 07:47 AM
Lets see.....how can I grade a coach who has....cough-cough....NEVER been a HC for one game in his whole life?
Thats is pretty tough to do...but I will say this....he seems geniunely interested and not completely bored with it all like some chins I used to know

stlrtruck
05-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Up to this point I'll give him an A

- He openly gave God the praise for his new position. I love a man of God in the public eye, who starts with God and ends with God.
- He's a sharped dressed man, he's a family man, and if I'm correct he's also a spokesman for ALL PRO DAD.
- I think they did well in drafting this year, although I'm a little disappointed that they didn't go for Michael Bush in the 3rd round.
- His well spoken presence in the media and the words that he has choosen have been a breathe of fresh air in an otherwise stale environment.
- If the players catch a hold of his seemingly endless passion, then 31 other teams are in for a world of hurt

Legal notice: I retain the right to change my opinion of this grade based upon future review of on the field performance. Should Tomlin's version of the Steelers lose to the clowns on opening day, the bungles or ratbirds at home, then the grade will drop drastically.