05-09-2007, 08:07 PM
So we have 3 rbs. Hope Verron can still come back

verks36
05-09-2007, 08:10 PM
dont like the signing one bit

Jeremy
05-09-2007, 08:13 PM
:tt03:

Welcome home Kevan. Now prove me wrong about you.

Smashmouth225
05-09-2007, 08:15 PM
If he can get his mind right could be solid backup.

ChronoCross
05-09-2007, 08:21 PM

Lets see, Willie-Barlow-Daven-Russel-Kuhn-Mosley

That is 6 RBs on the roster and Barlow might not make the cut.. Not to mention Verron also rehabing so that is 7 in total RBs to compete. And 2 FBs on the roster to. I do not see Barlow making the cut.. No faith in him, he has been a bust in the NFL.. But he is getting a look at and that is all he can ask for.

Atlanta Dan
05-09-2007, 08:27 PM
So much for New England being the preseason SB favorite

Hines86Ward
05-09-2007, 09:25 PM
Lets see, Willie-Barlow-Daven-Russel-Kuhn-Mosley

That is 6 RBs on the roster and Barlow might not make the cut.. Not to mention Verron also rehabing so that is 7 in total RBs to compete. And 2 FBs on the roster to. I do not see Barlow making the cut.. No faith in him, he has been a bust in the NFL.. But he is getting a look at and that is all he can ask for.

Verron Haynes was released when Porter left, so he is not a 7th RB. Kevan Barlow has a MUCH better chance of making the team than Russell, Kuhn, & Mosley do. Mosley will most likely get cut, Kuhn will be on the practice squad again (sorry everyone), & it all depends on Russell's attitude to see where he lands.

Barlow was stuck behind a horrible SF o-line, and still managed 1,000 yards & a 5.1 YPC AVG. And he wasnt used much in NY except for short yardage situations, so I dont see how you can call him a bust. Give him a chance, he'll suprise you.....

SteelCityMan786
05-09-2007, 09:50 PM
So much for New England being the preseason SB favorite

Anything can still happen. It's only May.

83-Steelers-43
05-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Barlow to leave Jets after reaching deal with Steelers
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Still seeking to fill the void they experienced last season when the retirement of Jerome Bettis left the offense without a power-type tailback, the Pittsburgh Steelers have reached agreement with free agent Kevan Barlow on a one-year contract.

Financial details of the agreement, which has been rumored for the past several days, were not immediately available.

A Pittsburgh native who attended that city's Peabody High School and then starred at the University of Pittsburgh, the six-year veteran will sign the deal before the Friday morning start to the team's first mandatory minicamp under new coach Mike Tomlin.

Barlow, who grew up idolizing Steelers Hall of Fame running back Franco Harris, met with Pittsburgh officials last week. He also generated interest from several other teams, including the Indianapolis Colts, after he was released by the New York Jets early in the spring.

In Pittsburgh, it's expected that Barlow will compete with Najeh Davenport for the No. 2 tailback job behind Willie Parker. The coaching staff wants to reduce the workload for Parker, a speedy but undersized tailback who logged a career-high 337 rushes in 2006. Davenport carried just 60 times as Parker's backup in 2006; third-down tailback Verron Haynes, who might still be in camp with Pittsburgh if he can successfully rehabilitate his surgically repaired knee, had only 15 carries.

Parker rushed for 1,494 yards and 13 touchdowns, but the consensus is that he might be even more productive with a little more rest.

Plus, the Steelers hope that either Barlow or Davenport can serve as a complement to Parker and be the kind of late-game "closer" that Bettis was in the waning stages of his career.

Barlow, 28, was a third-round pick of San Francisco in 2001 and played five seasons with the 49ers before being traded to the Jets last summer for a fourth-round draft choice. In his first three seasons, he posted an impressive 4.7-yard average, mostly as a backup to then-49ers star Garrison Hearst. In 2003, his third season in the league, Barlow rushed for a career-high 1,024 yards and averaged 5.1 yards, despite starting only four games.

Over the past three seasons, though, Barlow's productivity has waned. In that stretch, he has averaged only 3.2 yards per carry and his rushing yards have declined every season since he posted his 1,000-yard campaign in 2003.

Presented an opportunity to regain his status as a starting-caliber back with the Jets in 2006, Barlow had a career-low 370 rushing yards.

For his career, Barlow has carried 1,022 times for 3,984 yards and 30 touchdowns. He also has 144 receptions for 1,164 yards and three scores. Barlow has appeared in 84 games and started in 33 of them.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2865754

Edman
05-09-2007, 10:09 PM
A certain Jerome Bettis came to Pittsburgh in 1996 with supposed character issues and accusations of lazy work ethic. He turned out fine.

Barlow is nothing more than a servicable role player and maybe a camp body. Let's see what he does on a team that didn't suck like Niners then or on a "not quite there yet" team like the Jets.

SteelCityMan786
05-09-2007, 10:48 PM
A certain Jerome Bettis came to Pittsburgh in 1996 with supposed character issues and accusations of lazy work ethic. He turned out fine.

Barlow is nothing more than a servicable role player and maybe a camp body. Let's see what he does on a team that didn't suck like Niners then or on a "not quite there yet" team like the Jets.

He could serve more in the bus role and provide for Willie a veteran presence again.

fansince'76
05-09-2007, 10:52 PM

I agree. I'm assuming he came fairly cheap, so why not give him a shot in camp?

nicesteel4life
05-09-2007, 11:17 PM
Exactly, We picked him up for nothing, He is the one thats got something to prove, if not he will be gone by the end of camp...BUT if he pays off, he might actually bump #44. Remember were not sold on him either. Good Job front office to offer a chance! Now Barlow make it worthy!!!

tony hipchest
05-09-2007, 11:21 PM
i think alot of people expected barlow to be a savior once the 49ers gave pro bowlers garcia, owens and hearst the boot.

even jerry rice wouldnt be able to work miracles with jim drukenmiller and tim rattay throwing him the ball.

GBMelBlount
05-09-2007, 11:22 PM
Barlow was stuck behind a horrible SF o-line, and still managed 1,000 yards & a 5.1 YPC AVG. And he wasnt used much in NY except for short yardage situations, so I dont see how you can call him a bust. Give him a chance, he'll suprise you.....

86, you are the silver lining! Considering those facts, maybe he is a strong pick up. Let's hope so. :cheers:

Livinginthe past
05-10-2007, 01:59 AM

The SF O-line wasn't that horrible at all in 2003.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo2003.htm

As a team the 49ers ranked 5th in the whole league for rushing yardage (2279 yards) of which Barlow was responible for less than half.

As a team they also ranked 7th in the NFL for ypc average (4.57) and 11th in rushing TD's.

And to prove it wasn't a fluke they ranked highly in 2002's rushing stats also.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo2002.htm

Ranked 6th in the NFL in all major categories - yards, carries, ypc......

I think its fair to say that Barlow ran behind a decent line in San Francisco.

Anthony_Smith27
05-10-2007, 02:20 AM
not a big deal, he's being brought in for depth, nothing more, so people, don't expect him to put up good numbers, dookie has the back up job on lock, barlow will make the team because he's experinced, the other running backs coming to camp will be cut cause they all suck worse

Preacher
05-10-2007, 02:31 AM
not a big deal, he's being brought in for depth, nothing more, so people, don't expect him to put up good numbers, dookie has the back up job on lock, barlow will make the team because he's experinced, the other running backs coming to camp will be cut cause they all suck worse

I wouldn't be surprised to see Dumptruck and Barlow fight for the 2nd string position. However, I don't mind that. It would be nice to have two back up backs that could be legitimate 2nd stringers. That way, if Willie (Lord forbid) gets hurt, they could split the runs.

X-Terminator
05-10-2007, 02:40 AM
It's a depth signing - nothing more. The way many of you are reacting, you'd think he's being brought in to replace Willie Parker, which obviously is NOT going to happen. If he can play the "Bus" role - a "change of pace back" who can pick up the tough yards and spell Willie for a couple series a game - then what's the problem? Not everyone can get a Brandon Jacobs or Michael Turner.

ShutDown24
05-10-2007, 03:02 AM
Barlow will make the team, probably third string... I wish they would have cut Davenport instead of Verron when they did... A good third down back in my mind is much better than a wanna be power back.

Steel Pit
05-10-2007, 06:16 AM
I like the signing. We need some depth at RB. Verron Haynes is not and never has been the answer. He gets way too much praise from some fans. Haynes continues to make the final roster for one reason, HE SAVES THE STEELERS A ROSTER SPOT! He plays the role of back-up RB AND back-up FB. He's like having a kicker that also punts.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
05-10-2007, 07:21 AM
neither the trib nor the gazette is saying this is a done deal yet (friday early morning)...so before we get all giddy about this "signing"...they may still need verron's phone number.

coachspeak33
05-10-2007, 08:08 AM
Verrons true value ini my opinion is his ability to play special teams...i would like to see him get healthy...Anything beyond willie parker in the running game in 06 was so pathetic that I am just encouraged to add what could be a little something....I like that Barlow is a hometown guy...maybe that serves as motivation to him to rededicate himself to the game of football.

stlrtruck
05-10-2007, 09:16 AM
I'm not thrilled with the signing but as a true fan, I will go along with it until Barlow proves he can't handle it (or he costs us a game or two or three). The FO must have something in mind and I trust both them and the coaches when it comes to player selection.

So KB, welcome to the City of Football. The only drinking town with a football problem in America. I'm sure you remember how it was back in the day when you worshipped Franco Harris. It hasn't changed, if anything, it's gotten worse so be ready to get your feet in motion and prove to all of us doubters and all the nay-sayers outside of the BnG that you are more than worth your value on the roster.

83-Steelers-43
05-10-2007, 09:18 AM
:huh:

Barlow gets second visit
Thursday, May 10, 2007

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Free-agent running back Kevan Barlow will have a second visit today with the Steelers, who hope to sign him to a contract. If Barlow accepts their offer, he'll attend minicamp, which starts tomorrow at the Steelers' South Side complex.

Barlow, who played for Peabody High School and Pitt, has played with the San Francisco 49ers and New York Jets in six NFL seasons.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07130/784933-66.stm

tony hipchest
05-10-2007, 09:31 AM
:huh:

Barlow gets second visit
Thursday, May 10, 2007

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Free-agent running back Kevan Barlow will have a second visit today with the Steelers, who hope to sign him to a contract. If Barlow accepts their offer, he'll attend minicamp, which starts tomorrow at the Steelers' South Side complex.

Barlow, who played for Peabody High School and Pitt, has played with the San Francisco 49ers and New York Jets in six NFL seasons.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07130/784933-66.stmthis gives me a feeling the colts made him an offer in the 11th hour.

hes 2 injuries away from getting the bulk of the carries in hometown pittsburgh (willie, najeh). hes 1 injury away with the champion colts (addai). tough call. i guess it will come down to the highest bidder.

05-10-2007, 09:39 AM
I was not in favor of this signing. It tells me Verron must not be healthy enough to compete for a spot on the team this summer. I do not think they will sign him now that they have apparently signed Barlow. Besides Verron and Najah are similar backs. Both have played fullback in both college and pros. Both are decent blockers, and receivers out of the backfield, and contribute significantly on special teams. Barlow is more in the mold of of a power runner. I think Willie, obviously, will be our starter and featured tailback. Barlow will have an opprotunity to be the short yardage guy, he will have to fend off Kuhn, and Russell. Najah will be the third down guy, the one who is skilled at picking up the blitzer, and turning draw plays and screen passes into big gains. If Verron is healty enough to come back and compete, he most likely will be competing with Najah for that role. I do not really know what type of back Mosely is or what skill sets he brings to the table. When it is all said and done, I beleive the Steelers will carry 4 RBs and 1 FB, and right now only Parker and Krieder are locks to make the team. I think experience gives Barlow and Davenport an edge over the rest of the competition, and also the fact the other 3 guys Kuhn, Russell and Mosely are good candidates for the practice squad.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-10-2007, 09:48 AM
I am going to go against the grain ..and say that Parker, Barlow, and Russell will be our three RB's at the start of the season.

05-10-2007, 09:49 AM
If Barlow is issued #34, then we can be pretty sure Haynes is not going to be brought back in to compete for a spot. As it stands now Barlow will only be able to choose btw #s 31, 34, and 41. If he gets 31 or 41, then that may be a sign the Steelers still plan on adding Verron to the mix.

83-Steelers-43
05-10-2007, 10:07 AM
this gives me a feeling the colts made him an offer in the 11th hour.

hes 2 injuries away from getting the bulk of the carries in hometown pittsburgh (willie, najeh). hes 1 injury away with the champion colts (addai). tough call. i guess it will come down to the highest bidder.

I hope your wrong Tony but that's a strong possibility. I'm not liking it. As I stated before, I'm all for bringing this guy in and giving him a shot but only at the right price. Getting into a cash war with the Colts (or anybody for that matter) for Kevan Barlow is not worth it in my opinion.

83-Steelers-43
05-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Ex- Pitt star Kevan Barlow meeting with Steelers

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, May 10, 2007

Kevan Barlow is meeting with the Steelers, and he and the team are working toward a deal that would allow the running back to return to Pittsburgh.

"It's close but not finished yet," said Doug Hendrickson, Barlow's agent.

Hendrickson said he is hopeful the two sides reach a contract agreement today so Barlow can participate in mini camp, which starts Friday and runs through Sunday.

The signing of the former Peabody High and Pitt star would give Najeh Davenport competition for the role of complementary back to Pro Bowler Willie Parker.

Barlow, 28, got released by the New York Jets in February, and he visited the Steelers last Friday.

Barlow, a third-round pick by the San Francisco 49ers in 2001, had his best season in 2003 when he rushed for 1,024 yards and six touchdowns and averaged 5.1 yards per carry.

In other Steelers news, the team has released linebacker Richard Seigler. Seigler spent parts of two seasons on the Steelers' practice squad.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_507022.html

SteelerMurf
05-10-2007, 12:45 PM
Ex- Pitt star Kevan Barlow meeting with Steelers

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, May 10, 2007

Kevan Barlow is meeting with the Steelers, and he and the team are working toward a deal that would allow the running back to return to Pittsburgh.

"It's close but not finished yet," said Doug Hendrickson, Barlow's agent.

Hendrickson said he is hopeful the two sides reach a contract agreement today so Barlow can participate in mini camp, which starts Friday and runs through Sunday.

The signing of the former Peabody High and Pitt star would give Najeh Davenport competition for the role of complementary back to Pro Bowler Willie Parker.

Barlow, 28, got released by the New York Jets in February, and he visited the Steelers last Friday.

Barlow, a third-round pick by the San Francisco 49ers in 2001, had his best season in 2003 when he rushed for 1,024 yards and six touchdowns and averaged 5.1 yards per carry.

In other Steelers news, the team has released linebacker Richard Seigler. Seigler spent parts of two seasons on the Steelers' practice squad.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_507022.html

What is taking them so long. I guess maybe lobbying for some incentives????

I would rather the Steelers sign him for 2 years in case he becomes a nice compliment to Willie we don't have to lose him after one year. But I am guessing Barlow would rather risk just one year and hope he becomes good enough to get a better contract next year. Thing is he will never be a starter again, so you may as well go home to be a backup

83-Steelers-43
05-10-2007, 01:24 PM
It looks to me that ESPN jumped the gun. Best case scenario, they are simply ironing out the small details of the contract. Worst case scenario, read post #27.

cubanstogie
05-10-2007, 01:46 PM
Barlow has potential no doubt. I live in bay area and remember the hype about this guy 3 to 4 years ago. He fumbled way to much and was a big bust. The niners gave him way too much money for an unproven back. I do think it could turn out well if he comes in hungry and accepts his role as a backup, and doesnt ask for too much money.

83-Steelers-43
05-10-2007, 01:52 PM
And another update....

Barlow likely to sign with Steelers
Thursday, May 10, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Veteran running back Kevan Barlow was undergoing a physical with Steelers' doctors today. If he passes, he likely will sign a one-year contract with the team.

Barlow, who played for Pitt and Peabody High School, was released this year for salary cap reasons by the New York Jets, who acquired him last August from San Francisco for a fourth-round draft choice. Barlow played his first five seasons with the 49ers, who drafted him in the third round in 2001.

Barlow is Pitt's seventh-leading career rusher with 2,438 yards.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07130/785009-66.stm

tony hipchest
05-10-2007, 02:11 PM
nfl radio has been reporting all day (during their "2 minute drill" commercial update) that the steelers "agree to terms with kevan barlow on a 1 year deal".

im not positive of the legalities, but i assume this means a contract was accepted (possibly signed?) and pending the result of the physical, the contract will then be sent to league offices to make it official. again im not sure how this works, but i am assuming there is a difference between "agreeing to terms" with a player and "signing" a player. but at this point i'd say barlow is ours and for him to go sign with another team would be a breach of contract, even if its not yet filed. :hunch:

bouchettes report suggests that barlow hasnt signed anything but the intent is there and barlow present to put the ink to the paper, in which case i guess he could just get up and leave.

rbryan
05-10-2007, 02:27 PM
I wish him luck. I think if he has any chance of making it back to where he once was, it's here. Hopefully he comes back home hungry.

OneForTheToe
05-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Until he signs the actual contract anything is possible. (See Russ Grimm for explanation.) :wink02:

83-Steelers-43
05-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Now it's done.....

Barlow signs with Steelers
Thursday, May 10, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers this afternoon signed veteran running back Kevan Barlow to a one-year contract that will pay him $595,000 plus a $40,000 roster bonus.

Barlow, who played for Pitt and Peabody High School, was released this year for salary cap reasons by the New York Jets, who acquired him last August from San Francisco for a fourth-round draft choice. Barlow played his first five seasons with the 49ers, who drafted him in the third round in 2001.

Barlow is Pitt's seventh-leading career rusher with 2,438 yards.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07130/785009-66.stm

Aceprowler
05-10-2007, 03:31 PM
I think he will make a great fit. Davenport is to much of a straight up and down running back that can't get those hard yards where Barlow will.

We are a running team that Tomlin has said he will shy away from a bit. But I don't think so now. Now we will compete in a phases of football.

Last year it was stop Parker and you won.

This is what Pittsburgh needs!

83-Steelers-43
05-10-2007, 03:35 PM
Welcome to the Pittsburgh Steelers organization (and back home) Kevan Barlow. :tt02:

OneForTheToe
05-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Oh, that's NFL chump change. :dollar:

Vet minimum is what?

Good price let's see if he works out.

tony hipchest
05-10-2007, 03:39 PM
at 600K/year i almost wish we couldve locked him up a few years longer. i suppose he will have a chance to prove himself, and if he does well the rooneys possibly bump his pay and extend him.

now, what can we do to see curtis martin retire in a steelers uniform?

Vet minimum is what? i think that is the vet minimum for a player with his tenure.

yinzer-inseattle
05-10-2007, 03:55 PM
Agree TH, for the money this is a great deal. Without Barlow, I'm thinking Najee may viewed the 2nd back spot as his. Now that's changed and it will mean better depth and quality.

Hamer
05-10-2007, 04:06 PM
At the very least he will light a fire under Davenport in camp. At best he can win the job and spell Willie all year. I'll be rooting for him, he's a yinzer after all.

steelwolf21
05-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Exactly as Aceprowler said, Davenport has that up and down running style that leads to injuries. I was worried cause if Fast Willie gets injured I didn't think Najeh could handle the load of being a full time back. (wasn't the reason the Pack cut him because he couldn't stay healthy?) barlow adds insurance and you gotta think that like Batch he's going to respond well to coming home to be a backup. I think it's a great signing depth wise!

MasterOfPuppets
05-10-2007, 04:26 PM
i think its a good pickup...the guy has proven he can be a 1000 yd back. unlike kuhn and the others. besides it may just be his last chance with the nfl,so he should play hard

Fullback&Punter
05-10-2007, 09:34 PM
just saw on ESPNNews that we got Kevan barlow! I think this a good move

fansince'76
05-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Merged "Barlow!" and "Breaking News: Kevan Barlow signed" threads due to duplicate content.

rbryan
05-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Kids got 30 TD's in the NFL. I'm not sure if all the other RB's on the roster combined have as many. WP & Davenport have 27 together

Stlrs4Life
05-10-2007, 10:59 PM

I don't. Haynes gets hurt too easy. And believe Barlow is better, plus we got him cheap.

The Duke
05-10-2007, 11:08 PM
I don't. Haynes gets hurt too easy. And believe Barlow is better, plus we got him cheap.

what was haynes's salary?
Yeah, he is cheap so i'd like for him to get a chance at the team. the same for verron.

fansince'76
05-10-2007, 11:10 PM
what was haynes's salary?
Yeah, he is cheap so i'd like for him to get a chance at the team. the same for verron.

Same here - critical position and quality, cost-effective depth will be nice to have.

MJ5150
05-12-2007, 05:56 AM
Whippee-flippin-do. Kevan Barlow?

He must have taken the home team discount to play here. He's from Pittsburgh, rah, rah, rah. Good for him. Let's see if he can convert a third and three.

-Mike