PDA

View Full Version : Interest in Keyshawn????

coachspeak33
05-10-2007, 01:23 PM
Would the Steelers be wise to pursue Keyshawn Johnson????

He is a well schooled possession reciever who has caught at least 70 balls for the last three c seasons...he is an incredible blocker....a fantastic possesion receiver on 3rd down.

He might be able to be had relatively cheap....considering that only three teams have shown luke warm interest so far in the offseason....Oak, GB, and Minn.

None of those teams are exactly SB contenders.....

Ask yourself....Would you rather have a guy who does a fairly decent Hines Ward impersonation, especially on third down....... or are you willing to watch Cedric the entertainer for yet another season of slow breaks, dropped balls, and pass intereference complaints?

I am not a gigantic Keyshawn fan by any stertch of the imagination but it would intrigue me to add another weapon to this O....especially at WR when you consider Arians plans for 4 wide, under center formations.

SteelerTim
05-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Would the Steelers be wise to pursue Keyshawn Johnson????

He is a well schooled possession reciever who has caught at least 70 balls for the last three c seasons...he is an incredible blocker....a fantastic possesion receiver on 3rd down.

He might be able to be had relatively cheap....considering that only three teams have shown luke warm interest so far in the offseason....Oak, GB, and Minn.

None of those teams are exactly SB contenders.....

Ask yourself....Would you rather have a guy who does a fairly decent Hines Ward impersonation, especially on third down....... or are you willing to watch Cedric the entertainer for yet another season of slow breaks, dropped balls, and pass intereference complaints?

I am not a gigantic Keyshawn fan by any stertch of the imagination but it would intrigue me to add another weapon to this O....especially at WR when you consider Arians plans for 4 wide, under center formations.

We already have that guy ... his name is Hines Ward. Seriously, Hines does fufill all those requirements and with Holmes on the other side I think we are set at WR. We need someone to stretch the field as our slot receiver but that guy is not name Cedric. Hopefully Nate or Willie will step up.

83-Steelers-43
05-10-2007, 01:50 PM
For a coach who has stressed "character" since being hired and one who has witnessed Keyshawn's five year old outbursts first hand while in TB, I strongly doubt Tomlin would welcome the signing. Just a guess on my part.

While I'm not crazy about our WR core (CW in particular), I would pass on Keyshawn Johnson. Too much baggage. That's the last thing Ben, Santonio and Tomlin need.

blitzburgh pavs
05-10-2007, 01:51 PM
Hines is awesome and far better than keyshawn ever was but I wouldn't mind him helping holmes with his hands and he wouldn't be a bad slot receiver especially on third downs. If you add him along side hines that would be some good blocking and probably open up some nice holes for fast willie to break on through. Either way with or without keyshawn, the steelers will rise aqain under the reign of mike tomlin and once again be the champs.

LETS GO STEELERS

OneForTheToe
05-10-2007, 02:15 PM
Yep, as long as we have Hines, no need for an aging possession receiver. Now, god forbid, Hines was to suffer a longer term injury, and Keyshawn was available, I would consider his signing a positive. I'm not a big fan of Keyshawn, but he was productive last year and he really doesn't seem to be all that much of a disruptive force anymore.

rbryan
05-10-2007, 02:19 PM
NO!!!!

verks36
05-10-2007, 02:19 PM
no we do not need kesh for one he wouldnt even benfit us that much

2 the rooneys never sighn big names yet alone big names with a attitude

ChronoCross
05-10-2007, 02:54 PM
We ok with out him.

http://cache.viewimages.com/xt/72719718.jpg?v=1&g=editorial_na&s=1

steelwolf21
05-10-2007, 04:25 PM
But MeShawn has left most of that attitude behind. The last few years he's come across really humble, happy not to be the number one man. I think it'd be a pretty good signing, certainly an improvement over CW, who may take the cake as least favourite current Steeler. But aren't the Steelers in cap trouble? I can't see them being able to afford him even if they wanted. But I'd agree w/ coachspeak, if they could they should he'd help with the 4 reciever sets and the young recievers and as I said I think he's left most of his attitude behind.

Hamer
05-10-2007, 04:26 PM
I agree Chronocross, we have a way better version of that type of reciever named Hines Ward. What I'd like to see is a Buress clone get signed.

Indy_Steelers
05-10-2007, 06:24 PM
I agree Chronocross, we have a way better version of that type of reciever named Hines Ward. What I'd like to see is a Buress clone get signed.

A Buress clone? Only if he can hold on to the ball better than the original.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-10-2007, 06:33 PM
:toofunny: :toofunny: ...thats great....wait...youre serious.......sorry.

tony hipchest
05-10-2007, 06:45 PM
this is about as crazy as the patriots going out and trading for somebody like randy moss.

oh wait....

i think i started this thread last year when keyshawn was a free agent along with eric moulds and i. bruce, explaining how either would be an upgrade over c. wilson. none of those ideas were received to well. i think we are stuck with wilson or anyone on the roster who may replace him.

i still like the idea of 2 reliable veteran possession wr's to pair with nate and santonio (our 2 young speedsters) on 4 wr sets.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-10-2007, 06:57 PM
this is about as crazy as the patriots going out and trading for somebody like randy moss.

oh wait....

i think i started this thread last year when keyshawn was a free agent along with eric moulds and i. bruce, explaining how either would be an upgrade over c. wilson. none of those ideas were received to well. i think we are stuck with wilson or anyone on the roster who may replace him.

i still like the idea of 2 reliable veteran possession wr's to pair with nate and santonio (our 2 young speedsters) on 4 wr sets.

WHAT!!! get rid of WILSON!!!!.... can we afford to JUST THROW AWAY those 3 TD's he has given us as a starter.:rolleyes:

I'm changing my vote..I'll take Keyshawn

tony hipchest
05-10-2007, 07:53 PM
WHAT!!! get rid of WILSON!!!!.... can we afford to JUST THROW AWAY those 3 TD's he has given us as a starter.:rolleyes:

I'm changing my vote..I'll take Keyshawnthe steelers werent completely off their rocker when they signed c. wilson. they had good fiscal intentions.

TJ Douchbagpipeplayah was their 1st choice as a free agent that year.

and to prove he isnt the sharpest tool in the shed, he turned down a little more $$$ and a sb ring to hang with chad. no wonder he tries to wipe that away with the terrible towel.

fansince'76
05-10-2007, 08:07 PM
NO!!!!

Ditto.

Preacher
05-10-2007, 08:14 PM
I gotta say...

at this point,

With us being solid at 1 and 2... with MAYBE a good 3. GET HIM...

If we are serious about 4 wides, then I want four wides that the defense HAVE TO DEFEND.

Do they REALLY have to be careful of Cedric or Nate? Only time will tell. However, Keshawn steps on the field, and D's MUST take notice... even if it is only for 5, 7, 10 yard passing routes. Seems to me that if you stay in zone, Keshawn can and will beat you. How nice to KNOW that we can come out and beat a team playing zone... and if they move to man on man?? Well heck, run our recievers on flag routes, and give the ball to willie up the middle... Run out receivers to all one side, an run willie on a cutback the other way. When the D gets tired of chasing willie and move back to the zone... guess what... We go back to keshawn and Ward.

Oh yeah don't forget... We also got a guy that can run windsprints up the sideline all day for 40-50-60 yard bombs. Take a safety AND a CB with him... Free up Keyshawn.

Or double Keyshawn after he catches a few and free Holmes.

OH SNAP... Forgot about Ward... least that is what D-coaches will say when Ward take teh ball 40 yards... and OVER a safety or two for a TD.

Yeah... I say pick him up. Drop Cedric. After all, Keyshawn seems to have dropped the attitude over the last few years.

Dang it... What about the TE's? Thats right... PLURAL...

Hmmm... yeah... I say get him... So much for a one-dimensional team.

GBMelBlount
05-10-2007, 08:45 PM
TJ Douchbagpipeplayah was their 1st choice as a free agent that year.

LMAO :sofunny:

Does anyone think FWR has any potential at WR if fully recovered? He was a fast dude.

TackleMeBen
05-10-2007, 09:10 PM
keychain needs to hit the retirement home... he is a has been

83-Steelers-43
05-10-2007, 09:36 PM
I'll take the fan's in Tampa Bay's word for it......http://bucs.tbo.com/bucs/MGA8LMRJ7ND.html

No thank you. I don't give a damn if he became the Dalai Lama at the age of 34. If the Steelers sign him, I'll be more than happy to eat my crow.

FastWillieParker39
05-10-2007, 09:40 PM
yea like the Steelers will go out and pay tons of money to very good WR. We don't usually do that but it would be nice once in a while to do that.

83-Steelers-43
05-10-2007, 09:42 PM
yea like the Steelers will go out and pay tons of money to very good WR. We don't usually do that but it would be nice once in a while to do that.

I know seriously!!!! It has done wonders for the Vikings, Raiders, Cowboys and Eagles. I have no idea what this organization is thinking.

fansince'76
05-10-2007, 09:46 PM
I know seriously!!!! It has done wonders for the Vikings, Raiders, Cowboys and Eagles. I have no idea what this organization is thinking.

Don't forget the Lions....

FastWillieParker39
05-10-2007, 09:47 PM

I sense sarcasm? lol

What I meant was it would be nice to go out and get a big time star. I know this organization is doing fine and all but I'm just suggesting.

83-Steelers-43
05-10-2007, 09:52 PM

Excellent point. I mean T.O. brought the 49ers, Eagles and Cowboys a Super Bowl and Keyshawn brought the Cowboys, Buccaneers and Panthers a Super Bowl. I have no idea what this organization is thinking.

I need to walk down to 100 Art Rooney Avenue and let them know that while teams such as the Eagles, Cowboys, Panther and Buccaneers have been winning Super Bowls and making playoff runs over the last five years, we have been clueless and have no idea what in hell we are doing. Trust me, I'll let them have it.

83-Steelers-43
05-10-2007, 09:59 PM
What I meant was it would be nice to go out and get a big time star.

Dan Snyder is that you? :wink02:

tony hipchest
05-10-2007, 10:02 PM
I sense sarcasm? lol

What I meant was it would be nice to go out and get a big time star. I know this organization is doing fine and all but I'm just suggesting.we have recently resigned hines, parker, a. smith, and c. hampton. we dont recognize it because we are used to them but we would definitely realize their "star" potential if they ever hit the free market.

im happy we shop "in house" for free agents. doesnt mean we shouldnt be bargain hunting though

TackleMeBen
05-10-2007, 10:09 PM

i try to forget about the lions, living in lion country.....

fansince'76
05-10-2007, 10:09 PM
we have recently resigned hines, parker, a. smith, and c. hampton. we dont recognize it because we are used to them but we would definitely realize their "star" potential if they ever hit the free market.

Absolutely - look how Snyder paid through the nose for essentially a 3rd WR based on a trick play we ran a grand total of two times in '05.

83-Steelers-43
05-10-2007, 10:12 PM
hines

Our Keyshawn Johnson minus the age and attitude.

parker

The most famous words in Pittsburgh in the year 2004: "Who in the hell is Willie Parker?

a. smith

One of those damn 4th rounders. He won't amount to anything. :wink02:

c. hampton

*twirls hair and surprisingly chews gum at the same time* who's he? I only know Big Ben.

83-Steelers-43
05-10-2007, 10:15 PM
I sense sarcasm? lol

I apologize and I hear ya. I would love nothing more than to have Calvin Johnson. I would love nothing more than to have a WR over 6'3", under the age of 28, great attitude, excellent speed and great hands.

Like I stated before, I'm not that comfortable with our WR core either, but I'm not crazy about Keyshawn sporting the black and gold. The guy just rubs me the wrong way. First INT or incompletion Ben throws I don't want to see that guy reaming out Tomlin or Arians.

Stlrs4Life
05-10-2007, 10:57 PM
No, I would have no interest in Meyshawn.

Preacher
05-10-2007, 11:50 PM
I
Like I stated before, I'm not that comfortable with our WR core either, but I'm not crazy about Keyshawn sporting the black and gold. The guy just rubs me the wrong way. First INT or incompletion Ben throws I don't want to see that guy reaming out Tomlin or Arians.

Let me put parameters on my last post... cause your right...

I wouldn't mind a 3rd string Keyshawn in black and gold IF...

IF....

We know that he has ended that childish behavior. AND... we get him at a GOOD price.. one year then gone.

Galax Steeler
05-11-2007, 04:53 AM
I say no to keyshawn.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-11-2007, 09:10 AM
the steelers werent completely off their rocker when they signed c. wilson. they had good fiscal intentions.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement Tony!!!:sofunny: :sofunny:

coachspeak33
05-11-2007, 10:44 AM
As I said in the initial post....I find Keyshawn intriguing for a number of points:
1. His blocking ability is fantastic...so for those of you that are screaming, Hines is better...we already have that player.....uhhhh yeah...exactly....wouldnt it be nice to add a player with qualities similar to Hines

2. His ability to convert 3rd downs....again very Hines-esque

3. His attitude seems to have gotten better with age....maybe his TO experience humbled Keyshawn about his own personal past

4. Playoff and SB experience.

5. Cedric Wilson

Also....please quit bringing up Willie Reids name as a WR....that is rediculous....he wasnt even getting reps at FSU at WR....he was drafted for ST's only....then the Chin went ahead and played Coclough there....God am I glad Billy will be spending his time golfing and deep sea fishing in NC....instead of imitating a high school coach who only plays seniors

ShutDown24
05-11-2007, 11:42 AM
When he was first released I thought about it. Then I remembered that we had a new head coach in Mike Tomlin who has a fetish for good character players. I have a feeling Key is going to end up with the Titans.

Preacher
05-18-2007, 02:26 AM
:bump:

Thought you all were be interested.

I was watching the Tampa Bay/Colts game from 2003.

They had Keyshawn mic'd up. I like what I heard. Gruden says, hey, come here, take a breath and some criticism.

Keyshawn said... "Okay!"

That was it!

If that is the vaunted ATTITUDE we need to be wary of... I want more of it.

Preacher
05-18-2007, 04:20 AM
yeah...

But there are two problems.

1. He wants a lot more money then vet. minimum... which the Steelers will NOT pay.

2. Titans/Packers are both interested in him... as well as Patriots.

steelcity58
05-18-2007, 05:10 AM
Wow...Keyshawn...on the slow side...even slower now on the old side...

We have a possession receiver in Hines, who occasionally also makes the big play.

We need a field stretcher who has good size....not a guy who needs to go out on a good sized stretcher because his back went out on him.

"Give me the damn ball"...and an attitude like tur-reyel...Owens...but without the same talent.

WTF is going on in Pitt these days?

Noll...tough coach.

Cowher....tough...tough love...but tough nonetheless.

Tomlin...letting the Steelers be men...by wearing sombrero hats...and wants everyone to do it their way.

It's always been the Steelers molding a player to play the Steelers way.

I'm a hardcore, long time fan, but this is not good.

You can bury your head all you want...the Steelers finish 6-10 this year...the drafted punter will come in handy.

Man, you never draft a damn punter.

Crushzilla
05-18-2007, 07:18 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2873760

Not totally about what we've been talking about, but...

"I'm not playing for $750,000, $850,000, $1 million or $2.5 million. You can write that down."

That rules out any previous assumptions that he may, may, may take a vet min contract to take a swing at a ring.

I think that will rule out the Pats, too. He can just buy a ring off EBay I suppose after some other team gives him more than he's worth.

fansince'76
05-18-2007, 07:45 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2873760

Not totally about what we've been talking about, but...

"I'm not playing for $750,000, $850,000, $1 million or $2.5 million. You can write that down."

That rules out any previous assumptions that he may, may, may take a vet min contract to take a swing at a ring.

I think that will rule out the Pats, too. He can just buy a ring off EBay I suppose after some other team gives him more than he's worth.

Meshawn's already got his ring - no surprise its all about the Benjamins for him now.

Crushzilla
05-18-2007, 08:10 AM
Meshawn's already got his ring - no surprise its all about the Benjamins for him now.

Aye, but he's certainly showing no interest in winning another. Besides its the same ring Jon Gruden has... I'd be surprised if he still has the damn thing :smile:

verks36
05-18-2007, 08:15 AM
We are not going to sighn him. DO u guys know the rooneys come on they never sighn big name old vets. We never sighn them. He wouldnt even help that much either. All he would do is take reps away from holmes

fansince'76
05-18-2007, 08:25 AM
Man, you never draft a damn punter.

Unless said punter has the potential of becoming the next Ray Guy and you currently have an aging one with a dead leg....

Crushzilla
05-18-2007, 08:41 AM
We are not going to sighn him. DO u guys know the rooneys come on they never sighn big name old vets. We never sighn them. He wouldnt even help that much either. All he would do is take reps away from holmes

Saw the article and figured it would be worth posting as a definitive curtain to the hypothetical that this thread was presenting...

SteelerFanInCA
05-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Keyshawn is garbage. We don't need that locker room cancer. I think we will be just fine with the group of guys we have now.

Preacher
05-18-2007, 11:38 PM
Unless said punter has the potential of becoming the next Ray Guy and you currently have an aging one with a dead leg....

:tap: when was the last time you ever saw one of those?!? Oh Wait...