PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Williams Tests Positive For Pot Again

Atlanta Dan
05-11-2007, 12:51 PM
Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams tested positive for marijuana in April and will not be allowed to apply for reinstatement to the NFL until September, sources said.
:dang:

"Falling off the wagon is part of rehab," a source said. "Based on the medical evidence in Ricky's case, the doctors say it's too early to come back. He had the positive test last month. Remember, he's been diagnosed with social anxiety disorder -- that's a real disease and a good percentage of those folks self-medicate with substances like marijuana, often at the moment they are about to have a high level of social interaction." :toofunny:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2867381

And in other shocking news, the sun rose in the east and is anticipated to set in the west today.

ChronoCross
05-11-2007, 12:55 PM
I Doubt they let him get by since he has a illness.. But his NFL Career is over. Back to the CFL Ricky.. I think everyone has been waiting to see how long he could hold off from toking on that blunt..

stlrtruck
05-11-2007, 01:39 PM
And just when phish phans thought it was safe to proclaim playoff time...down comes the other shoe...and with a huge "THUD" the dolphins are slammed back into the middle of the pack (oh wait, they were already there).

Buzz05
05-11-2007, 01:43 PM
what a waste of talent...

RoethlisBURGHer
05-11-2007, 01:52 PM
I say just ban his arse.

ChronoCross
05-11-2007, 01:56 PM
To make things worse, Ricky still owes the Dolphins a lot of money. He was suppost to play for Vet Min for 3 years, but did not make it a year. So wonder how long it will be before the Dolphins take him to court for probably right around 7.5mil. He owed 8mil back to the team when he took off to India and god knows were ever else he went.

ChronoCross
05-11-2007, 02:03 PM
http://rangelife.typepad.com/rangelife/images/ricky.jpg

This is what happens when you waste 8mil on drugs. You cant even afford slips.

verks36
05-11-2007, 02:12 PM
http://rangelife.typepad.com/rangelife/images/ricky.jpg

This is what happens when you waste 8mil on drugs. You cant even afford slips.

Come on ricky so much potential all wasted because of what... What did u get out of it

stlrtruck
05-11-2007, 03:24 PM
Come on ricky so much potential all wasted because of what... What did u get out of it

Short dreads
The start of a beard
No flip flops (I mean aren't flip flops the official florida shoe?)

The Duke
05-11-2007, 03:30 PM
and I wanted to give him another chance

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Fugawzi 4-17-2007
...I have NO idea what this has to do with anything, especially football or Ricky Williams. The difference between Woody Harrelson and Ricky is that Ricky gets a visit by NFL representatives who collect his urine once a week, at least. Ricky also has to notify the NFL if he plans to travel. So, I think it's pretty safe to say Ricky doesn't smoke weed anymore. That will be confirmed when he gets reinstated in the next couple of weeks.

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:
I have been waiting for this article!!!!

fansince'76
05-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Wow, what a shocker....

SteelCityMan786
05-11-2007, 05:38 PM
What else is new. No surprise.

fugawzi
05-11-2007, 07:03 PM
Definitely a shocker. Ricky was doing good, and hadn't tested positive for weed for a long time. I guess the desire to get high outweighed the desire to play NFL Football. His choice, his life. Some things said earlier in this thread: Ricky WON'T be accepted into the CFL this year, or maybe ever again. He can apply for reinstatement in to the NFL in Sep. but it's highly unlikely the Dolphins will accept him back, considering the "character" word being used a lot by Cam Cameron, and also because the position was addressed in the draft, before this last failed test. So, for those predicting that Miami's season is over, or that we will be in the "middle", the prediction really has no basis. The Steelers have gone through as much change, in personnel and players, as have the Fins this offseason. Nobody's future is certain, though the Steelers have higher expecatations coming off a SB win 2 years ago, and not making the playoffs the year after. And Lambert's, don't you have something better to do than pull up old posts from last month? Shouldn't u be fighting crime, serving and protecting? Apparently I was wrong, I can concede that. At the time I wrote that, Ricky had been clean off weed for at least 2 years. Things do change and happen. I had faith in Ricky, so excuse me for believing that he could turn himself around. (At the time you were comparing him to Woody Harrelson, which was ridiculous.) Anyway, I still think Ricky's talented, but obviously doesn't have the discipline to abide by the NFL's strict drug policy. Could be his "disease" social anxiety disorder, could not. But when he said he was "happy" to be retiring from football in 2004, I don't think he was lying.

fansince'76
05-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Definitely a shocker. Ricky was doing good, and hadn't tested positive for weed for a long time. I guess the desire to get high outweighed the desire to play NFL Football. His choice, his life. Some things said earlier in this thread: Ricky WON'T be accepted into the CFL this year, or maybe ever again. He can apply for reinstatement in to the NFL in Sep. but it's highly unlikely the Dolphins will accept him back, considering the "character" word being used a lot by Cam Cameron, and also because the position was addressed in the draft, before this last failed test. So, for those predicting that Miami's season is over, or that we will be in the "middle", the prediction really has no basis. The Steelers have gone through as much change, in personnel and players, as have the Fins this offseason.

Fugawzi, I am assuming from your avatar that you're a Dolphins fan? I am surprised you're not pissed as hell at Williams for the way he completely bailed on you after you spent 2 years building your team around him. Hell, I'm a Steelers fan, and I'm still pissed at him for the way he did the Dolphins. I have to say I admire your capacity to forgive.

fugawzi
05-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Die Hard Dolphins fan. Season Ticket holder the year Ricky retired, and basically retired our season. Yea, it hurt. Still does. I was looking forward to seeing him play for us this year. He's one of my faves. But, he's a person. He has struggles. I guess some people think football players are machines or something, and forget the human factor. so that's why I can forgive him. having said that. I do think it's a huge disrespect to his teamates and fans (like me) who had faith in him. I think now I'm a believer in the "let him go/cut ties" philosophy. This is too many times. Like I said things and opinions can and do change. Who knows, by Sep. he might be reinstated, and the Fins decide to keep him because a) its too late to trade/release him or b) nobody else wants him. So if he plays '07 of course I will support him, but I think we should let him go do his thing. I hope the best for him.

fansince'76
05-11-2007, 07:42 PM
Die Hard Dolphins fan. Season Ticket holder the year Ricky retired, and basically retired our season. Yea, it hurt. Still does. I was looking forward to seeing him play for us this year. He's one of my faves. But, he's a person. He has struggles. I guess some people think football players are machines or something, and forget the human factor. so that's why I can forgive him. having said that. I do think it's a huge disrespect to his teamates and fans (like me) who had faith in him. I think now I'm a believer in the "let him go/cut ties" philosophy. This is too many times. Like I said things and opinions can and do change. Who knows, by Sep. he might be reinstated, and the Fins decide to keep him because a) its too late to trade/release him or b) nobody else wants him. So if he plays '07 of course I will support him, but I think we should let him go do his thing. I hope the best for him.

Well, whatever happens with Williams, I wish you guys all the best and hope you have a good season (except when you play us :wink02:) - you definitely didn't deserve what he did to you.

MasterOfPuppets
05-11-2007, 07:50 PM
reinstated in september....busted in october..
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/1420/36pm2.gif (http://imageshack.us)

fugawzi
05-11-2007, 07:52 PM
I wish you guys all the best and hope you have a good season (except when you play us :wink02:)

I can't EFFING wait for that game!!! Monday night, 4 days after Thanksgiving. Playoff implications maybe??? :smile: Hopefully for at least one of us.

fansince'76
05-11-2007, 07:54 PM
I can't EFFING wait for that game!!! Monday night, 4 days after Thanksgiving. Playoff implications maybe??? :smile: Hopefully for at least one of us.

I'm looking forward to that game as well - it's gonna be weird seeing Peezy in aqua.

fugawzi
05-11-2007, 07:55 PM
[QUOTE=MasterOfPuppets;246599]reinstated in september....busted in october..

well at least then he'd probably be done for good. In any case, his days with MIA, and possibly in the league, are numbered. We still have young RB and FB talent, so I'm not too concerned.

polamalufan43
05-11-2007, 07:57 PM
Wow, I actually feel sorry for him...
Like, he could have had a decent life but he wasted on drugs and crap...
~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Polamalu777
05-11-2007, 08:04 PM
Personally I really doubt that, the NFL will let him comeback. He should stay in Canada.

fugawzi
05-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Wow, I actually feel sorry for him...
Like, he could have had a decent life but he wasted on drugs and crap...
~Polamalufan43:tt02:

I think a lot of people look at it that way, but having seen this ordeal, watching it unfold, I think Ricky is happy, NOT playing football, as it has become obligatory to him. He knew this would show up. Did he care? What we view as a "decent" life, he could totally disagree with and see as an "indecent" life. He really was used as a proverbial battering ram during those Wannstedt years, (Ricky WAS the offense at one point) and I think it took a toll on his mind and body, and didn't respond as well to carrying the load as say "The Bus". He's been on drugs for a long time, both prescription and illicit, and supposedly has SocialAnxietyDisorder, so i dont know how "decent" his life can be.

rbryan
05-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Fugawzi is keepin me in this thread. I gotta ask. Is that really you and do those orange shorts mean you work where I think you do?

Polamalu777
05-11-2007, 08:40 PM
I can't wait to hear Ricky Williams' excuse when he talks to Goodell.

WWIIOwheelz
05-11-2007, 09:20 PM
Wow, he looks positively tiny in that pic compared to how he was out of college. What a shame.

Also, I'd like a link to a bigger pic of your avatar please, kthxbye

:wink02:

fugawzi
05-12-2007, 01:24 AM
rbryan - the avatar is NOT me. I am a guy, and that is an extremely hott chick. :sofunny:
are you thinkin orange shorts = hooters? maybe

WWII - It's funny u say that, I was trying to figure out how to blow up that pic myself, she's "smokin" hott. I got the pic off a Fins forum of which i am a member.

silver & black
05-12-2007, 08:58 AM
I know a lot of people enjoy smoking weed, I could care less. It just totaly escapes me as to how it can be so importent that you couldn't put it on the shelf untill your career is over. Right or wrong, like it or not, the NFL has rules against it. How can smokin be so importent that you would forego your career, the millions of dollars that would set you up for the rest of your life, and the ability to help other people with that money?

After the career is over... smoke it up! Why throw it all away for the sake of getting high?

83-Steelers-43
05-12-2007, 09:22 AM
the NFL has rules against it.

Yeah, so does this country. Some seem to incapable of realizing that little fact. Eitherway, it amazes me that the NFL has given this guy so many chances and now the heads on ESPN are talking about how he now has to wait until September to have another reinstatement hearing. Unbelievable.

The guy is an idiot and I don't see why he should be permitted to play in the NFL. He was given a chance, and another one, and another one and another one. Enough is enough.

rbryan
05-12-2007, 09:42 AM
rbryan - the avatar is NOT me. I am a guy, and that is an extremely hott chick. :sofunny:
are you thinkin orange shorts = hooters? maybe

WWII - It's funny u say that, I was trying to figure out how to blow up that pic myself, she's "smokin" hott. I got the pic off a Fins forum of which i am a member.

I feel like that time in NYC when I almost went home with the hottest chick ever who turned out to be a guy. (ALMOST, the key word here lol ) What can I say, I'm just a simple country boy from PA, we don't have to worry about shit like that in the Burgh. And yeah, I was thinking orange shorts = Hooters. I gotta go get some wings now.

silver & black
05-12-2007, 10:36 AM
Yeah, so does this country. Some seem to incapable of realizing that little fact. Eitherway, it amazes me that the NFL has given this guy so many chances and now the heads on ESPN are talking about how he now has to wait until September to have another reinstatement hearing. Unbelievable.

The guy is an idiot and I don't see why he should be permitted to play in the NFL. He was given a chance, and another one, and another one and another one. Enough is enough.

I would think that what Goodell has done with Pacman and Henry, this would be a no brainer.

fugawzi
05-12-2007, 06:29 PM
I know a lot of people enjoy smoking weed, I could care less. It just totaly escapes me as to how it can be so importent that you couldn't put it on the shelf untill your career is over. Right or wrong, like it or not, the NFL has rules against it. How can smokin be so importent that you would forego your career, the millions of dollars that would set you up for the rest of your life, and the ability to help other people with that money?
After the career is over... smoke it up! Why throw it all away for the sake of getting high?

(just something a little off topic: if you're trying to express that you don't care about something, the phrase is "I COULDN'T care less"...couldn't not could. A lot of people confuse it and it's annoying:dang: )
I see what you're saying, but again, that's how you would react. He might not feel the same way, or even care about "the millions of dollars", or lifestyle the NFL provides. The NFL has rules against it, and I am also amazed he STILL has the option of being reinstated. why haven't they just banned him? I expect in September he will be. While it is a "character" issue, this and former Ricky incidents are not the same degree as the Pacman or Chris Henry iusses. Pacman was allegedly "involved" in a shooting that resulted in a person being at least partially paralyzed. Henry's been involved in a number of incidents, including driving no license/no insurance, gun charges, DUI, and providing alcohol to minors. Way different.

Yeah, so does this country. Some seem to incapable of realizing that little fact...The guy is an idiot

well, i mean, if every player who broke a law in this country was banned, I don't think we'd have many players. I agree, I think he has had TOO many chances, and has proven he can't follow the rules. But apparently the NFL believes in giving people second chances. (and 3rd, 4th...etc.) Be interesting to see what Goodell does. Idiot is a little harsh.

I feel like that time in NYC when I almost went home with the hottest chick ever who turned out to be a guy. (ALMOST, the key word here lol ) What can I say, I'm just a simple country boy from PA, we don't have to worry about shit like that in the Burgh.

:toofunny: thats crazy. Howd u find out it was a guy, if u didnt go home with him? im sure there's a few he-she's in the "Burgh".

fansince'76
05-12-2007, 06:44 PM
well, i mean, if every player who broke a law in this country was banned, I don't think we'd have many players.

"If you busted every player in the league that smokes grass, you wouldn't have enough players left to field the punt return team." Phil Elliott (Nick Nolte) from North Dallas Forty (1979).

As true today as it was then.

silver & black
05-12-2007, 07:33 PM
[QUOTE=fugawzi;246931](just something a little off topic: if you're trying to express that you don't care about something, the phrase is "I COULDN'T care less"...couldn't not could. A lot of people confuse it and it's annoying:dang: )
I see what you're saying, but again, that's how you would react. He might not feel the same way, or even care about "the millions of dollars", or lifestyle the NFL provides. The NFL has rules against it, and I am also amazed he STILL has the option of being reinstated. why haven't they just banned him? I expect in September he will be. While it is a "character" issue, this and former Ricky incidents are not the same degree as the Pacman or Chris Henry iusses. Pacman was allegedly "involved" in a shooting that resulted in a person being at least partially paralyzed. Henry's been involved in a number of incidents, including driving no license/no insurance, gun charges, DUI, and providing alcohol to minors. Way different.

Thanks for the grammar lesson that I COULDN'T care less about... annoying :dang: .

Just because the incidents are different, and the degree of severity is different, doesn't make it "way different". To the NFL, it is still a black eye. The NFL frowns on things that tarnish it's image. Like it or not, these guys are looked up to by kids. The NFL doesn't like it when their "employees" give the co. a bad rap.

It doesn't matter if pot is harmless or not... it is aginst the law in this country and against NFL policy. Lots of people may not like it, but that doesn't change anything.

If an NFL career and the millions of dollars it provides, is not importent to Ricky, Then why does he want to be reinstated?

boLT fan
05-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the grammar lesson that I COULDN'T care less about... annoying :dang: .

This is way off topic, but I think it's funny how he gave you a grammar lesson... while he never bothers to spell out "you".

fansince'76
05-12-2007, 07:36 PM
If an NFL career and the millions of dollars it provides, is not importent to Ricky, Then why does he want to be reinstated?

Simple - $8 million dollar breach-of-contract judgment against him by an arbitrator.

silver & black
05-12-2007, 07:39 PM
This is way off topic, but I think it's funny how he gave you a grammar lesson... while he never bothers to spell out "you".

Yeah, I caught that too. :cheers:

silver & black
05-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Simple - $8 million dollar breach-of-contract judgment against him by an arbitrator.

How does he expect to get reinstated while he keeps breaking NFL policy? He obviously doesn't want to play in the NFL. Obviously he doesn't care about the $8 million breach of contract either.

fansince'76
05-12-2007, 08:17 PM
How does he expect to get reinstated while he keeps breaking NFL policy? He obviously doesn't want to play in the NFL. Obviously he doesn't care about the $8 million breach of contract either.

I agree, S&B - my point was that the judgment is the only reason he "wanted" to come back in the first place.

silver & black
05-12-2007, 08:24 PM
I agree, S&B - my point was that the judgment is the only reason he "wanted" to come back in the first place.

I think he just wants to be left alone.

I don't see how he is going to be able to pay back $8 million anyway. Isn't he supposeed to get paid league minimum for 3 years? How old is he now? After 3 years, barring a career ending injury, what would he get paid? I can't see him being productive for 3 years, let alone anything longer than that. I guess I really don't understand the situation all that well.

fansince'76
05-12-2007, 08:35 PM
I think he just wants to be left alone.

I don't see how he is going to be able to pay back $8 million anyway. Isn't he supposeed to get paid league minimum for 3 years? How old is he now? After 3 years, barring a career ending injury, what would he get paid? I can't see him being productive for 3 years, let alone anything longer than that. I guess I really don't understand the situation all that well.

Yeah, the numbers definitely don't add up. I'm thinking now that if he came back, the Dolphins might, as a gesture of goodwill, either reduce the amount he owes, or write it off altogether.

Elvis
05-13-2007, 07:40 AM
:dang: Is The NFL Really This Dumb?:dang:
Give me a break, just give this guy his walking papers and tell him Not To Ever come back. I hope the young man gets his life straightened out but his NFL career should be over Already.
:tt02:

fugawzi
05-13-2007, 04:17 PM
"Thanks for the grammar lesson that i COULDN'T care less about."

There ya go! You got it. Doesn't it feel nice actually saying what you mean, and not saying the exact opposite? People do it all the time, its all good. (There's a difference between that, and abbreviating the word "you") Anyway, Henry and Pacmans incidents are "Way" different. That person could have easily died in Las Vegas, and Henry could have killed somebody driving drunk, or with his guns he was illegally carrying, etc. Players break the law, Ricky's not the first, or last. They're people, shit happens. Of course the NFL doesn't condone Ricky's lifestyle or certain choices, but the point was, someone mentioned this should be a "no-brainer" for the Commish based on his decision with their cases, and I'm saying this is a totally different degree of offense. I'm also confused by the numbers, in terms of what Ricky owes, and how he's supposed to reimburse the Dolphins. There are a lot of question marks to this saga, and has to be one of the most bizarre in NFL history.

ChronoCross
05-13-2007, 10:09 PM
RICKY SAYS HE'S CLEAN

In a statement released through agent Leigh Steinberg, Dolphins running back Ricky Williams asserts that he is "clean" and ready to return to the NFL.

"Due to the recent reports about me failing a drug test, I feel it is appropriate for me to issue this statement," Williams said. "Last month, following a psychological evaluation requested by the NFL, we -- the psychiatrist and I -- came to the realization that there were a few things I needed to iron out about myself in order to make my return to the NFL as successful as possible."

Yeah, the psychiatrist and Ricky came to the realization that Ricky needs to quit smoking so much pot.

Ricky neither admitted nor denied failing the test. Greg Bedard of the Palm Beach Post reports that a source close to Williams has confirmed the initial report from ESPN's Chris Mortensen that Ricky had failed a marijuana test in April.

Bottom line -- Ricky won't be back at the earliest until September. And then he needs to find a team that is willing in this post-Pacman era to take a chance on him.