PDA

View Full Version : Faneca says he wants out

Pages : 1 [2]

tony hipchest
05-13-2007, 01:16 AM
you may be right....hard for me to think that this will benefit a team environment however...and every player on this roster just got a wake up call and realized that the rooneys arent going to pay anyone fair market value......the only question left is who is next????

my money is on hines getting cut within a year or so....or Willie if his play continues to improve and he rushes for 1700 yds....and he doesnt want to play at a pro bowl level for 2.5 million a season.....

ive been wondering who was the last highest paid player at their position the steelers have had recently. i though maybe woodson or dawson. turns out it was faneca and it wasnt too long ago.

Faneca signed a contract extension in 2002 that made him the highest-paid guard in the league.

But the deal for $25 million over six years seems like a pittance compared to the money high-caliber guards now command in the NFL.

Derrick Dockery and Eric Steinbach signed free-agent contracts this offseason that are worth as much as $49 million. Tackle/guard Leonard Davis also landed a deal that is in excess of $49 million.

None of the three has ever made a Pro Bowl. Faneca has been selected to six consecutive Pro Bowls.

the fact that faneca is currently operating under the same contract that made him the highest paid offensive guard at the time he signed it suggests he hasnt been mistreated.

sure he deserves more according to todays economics, and its obvious he has outplayed his old contract. but the rooneys have paid him what he was worth (they smartly paid him for what he would do, not what he had done).

the steelers always have taken care of the men in the trenches. without doing the research, im thinking casey hampton is probably the highest paid nose tackle in a 3-4 and a. smith is one of the highest paid 3-4 ends.

while teams like the ravens, seahawks, and rams may have one LT at $9 mil/year and 4 other linemen averaging $2 mil or so, the steelers have always been a team where all 5 offensive linemen will average $4-5 mil/year.

thats not to say any of those are the better method. the patriots dont pay their linemen squat. they just keep plugging in rookies.

patriots, steelers, rams, ravens, seahawks, have all won, or been to a sb in the past 7 years.

paw-n-maul-u
05-13-2007, 02:07 AM
looks like he was in the principals office (i do wish it was a meeting with dan rather than artII). unfortunately it looks like he left pissed off. i guess he dont like being told to STFU.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/PIT/10179058
tomlin cracks me up. he's not gonna let anything faze him. its like water rolling off a ducks back to him. good job 'lin! :thumbsup:

WTF is tomlin supposed to do? Please, he inherits a team with wayyyyyy too much drama already for him. He tries to ignore it and press on with the players that actually want to wear a Steelers uniform. what else can he really do?? Oh, he asked faneca to come back to practice, and didnt rule out fining him.

Maybe you want that ginger boy beaten by the new HC. Ball and chain even?

tony hipchest
05-13-2007, 02:17 AM
WTF is tomlin supposed to do? Please, he inherits a team with wayyyyyy too much drama already for him. He tries to ignore it and press on with the players that actually want to wear a Steelers uniform. what else can he really do?? Oh, he asked faneca to come back to practice, and didnt rule out fining him.

Maybe you want that ginger boy beaten by the new HC. Ball and chain even?lol. looks like you think i was criticizing tomlin. once again youre wrong. you say you been doing your HW, but its obvious youre gonna fail.

ive already referred you to the spaeth thread along with the sepulveda thread. todays assignment is to read the "grade tomlin thread".

SteelCzar76
05-13-2007, 05:08 AM
http://assets.m80im.com/teams/inlivingcolor/homey_2b.gif

"Just my two cents childranz. But even in light of Alan's comments,....i too can relate. For there are times when even the mighty SteelCzar,... when all of us,.. must wear this suit and ridiculous shoes because of poor judgement. Judgement driven by our own will,.....NOT TO PLAY DAT"

Elvis
05-13-2007, 07:21 AM
I cant say that it would bother me if the Steelers would just trade Faneca for what ever they can get out of him. He gives up sacks it seems like he is getting beat almost every game. He is over 30 and its time for him to just move on and Not Be Cancer to our young team..
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

Indy_Steelers
05-13-2007, 08:00 AM
If it turns out he was offered 19 mill over 3 years and still acted like this, then he is even more of a scumbag than I originally thought. I can appreciate the fact that he may think he's worth more than that and not accept the offer, but to act as he did is unforgivable.

He turned down 19 million over 3 years?:jawdrop:
I would have worked 50 years for that.
I have always said that there are two things that will bring a persons true character out-
1-Alcohol
2-Money

coachspeak33
05-13-2007, 09:02 AM
posted by paw-n-maul-u

Maybe you want that ginger boy beaten by the new HC. Ball and chain even?

lol. looks like you think i was criticizing tomlin. once again youre wrong. you say you been doing your HW, but its obvious youre gonna fail.

ive already referred you to the spaeth thread along with the sepulveda thread. todays assignment is to read the "grade tomlin thread".

u crack me up tony.....:sofunny: :toofunny: :sofunny: :toofunny:

coachspeak33
05-13-2007, 09:06 AM
I cant say that it would bother me if the Steelers would just trade Faneca for what ever they can get out of him. He gives up sacks it seems like he is getting beat almost every game. He is over 30 and its time for him to just move on and Not Be Cancer to our young team..
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

hey preacher....these are the kind of statements that defy logic....:banging: :banging:

Yup you got it...alan faneca is our biggest hole....he is the reason ben led the league in INT's....he caused coclough to go pop warner on us....

sorry wedosesteelers but in the words of myron...."thats a stinky,,,,a double stinky"
:dang:

coachspeak33
05-13-2007, 09:11 AM
ive been wondering who was the last highest paid player at their position the steelers have had recently. i though maybe woodson or dawson. turns out it was faneca and it wasnt too long ago.

the fact that faneca is currently operating under the same contract that made him the highest paid offensive guard at the time he signed it suggests he hasnt been mistreated.

sure he deserves more according to todays economics, and its obvious he has outplayed his old contract. but the rooneys have paid him what he was worth (they smartly paid him for what he would do, not what he had done).

the steelers always have taken care of the men in the trenches. without doing the research, im thinking casey hampton is probably the highest paid nose tackle in a 3-4 and a. smith is one of the highest paid 3-4 ends.

while teams like the ravens, seahawks, and rams may have one LT at $9 mil/year and 4 other linemen averaging $2 mil or so, the steelers have always been a team where all 5 offensive linemen will average $4-5 mil/year.

thats not to say any of those are the better method. the patriots dont pay their linemen squat. they just keep plugging in rookies.

patriots, steelers, rams, ravens, seahawks, have all won, or been to a sb in the past 7 years.

interesting thought tony....i would be curious to see the exact figures if indeed faneca signed as the highest paid G in the league

I was talking to a buddy yesterday...we were talking about the potential move to the 4-3...I was still steaming over the faneca mishandling....he emailed me this morning and said I said something that really stuck with him....i asked him to look and see how much above average to elite DE's in the 4-3 get paid...needless to say he now believes Art II needs to rethink his personel approach....seems to me that guys who excel at the 4-3 end spot might be out of Art II's price range all together

Livinginthe past
05-13-2007, 09:27 AM
interesting thought tony....i would be curious to see the exact figures if indeed faneca signed as the highest paid G in the league

I was talking to a buddy yesterday...we were talking about the potential move to the 4-3...I was still steaming over the faneca mishandling....he emailed me this morning and said I said something that really stuck with him....i asked him to look and see how much above average to elite DE's in the 4-3 get paid...needless to say he now believes Art II needs to rethink his personel approach....seems to me that guys who excel at the 4-3 end spot might be out of Art II's price range all together

The current franchise tag value for a DE is $8.64million.

It would be my understanding that in a 4-3 'Cover-2' type defense that your main impact players are going to be on the D-line.

The pass rush will be generated by DE's (and by DT's to some extent) and not by the OLB's in the current 3-4 system and thats why they get the big bucks.

The Franchise tag for LBers comes in at $7.2 million but there is no distinction between an ILB and an OLB for teams that play the 3-4 (which could be useful when attempting to re-sign an impact OLB sack machine)

HometownGal
05-13-2007, 09:41 AM
http://assets.m80im.com/teams/inlivingcolor/homey_2b.gif

"Just my two cents childranz. But even in light of Alan's comments,....i too can relate. For there are times when even the mighty SteelCzar,... when all of us,.. must wear this suit and ridiculous shoes because of poor judgement. Judgement driven by our own will,.....NOT TO PLAY DAT"

Now why did ya have to bring Chad Johnson into this mix, huh? :wink02:

Indy_Steelers
05-13-2007, 09:56 AM
Now why did ya have to bring Chad Johnson into this mix, huh? :wink02:

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

rbryan
05-13-2007, 10:04 AM
Thats not Chad. "The Chad" would never leave home without his red poodle.

Stlrs4Life
05-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Well look who it is..........why - it's Alan Faneca!

http://www.thesunblog.com/sports/archives/dunce.jpg

That's hilarious! :flap:

Jeremy
05-13-2007, 12:39 PM
Faneca was asked if he was excited to see Roethlisberger, then a rookie first-round draft choice, play. Faneca said he was not excited about going into a game with "some little young kid who's just out of college."

This is the guy asking for more than 7 million a season.

I say we get with the Packers and we both decide to trade the cry babies we have on our rosters to Oakland. Maybe after a couple of years under Al Davis and they'll realize how good they have it where they are.

paw-n-maul-u
05-13-2007, 02:27 PM
Anyone see the South Park episode this season where cartman was turned into a ginger??

For some reason, after first reading his whiny rant, I couldn't stop imagining that deep down this wasn't about a contract at all ... Faneca is making a stance for ALL of ginger-nation never to be pushed around again!!!

fansince'76
05-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Anyone see the South Park episode this season where cartman was turned into a ginger??

For some reason, after first reading his whiny rant, I couldn't stop imagining that deep down this wasn't about a contract at all ... Faneca is making a stance for ALL of ginger-nation never to be pushed around again!!!

http://z.about.com/d/animatedtv/1/0/V/T/spep_912_ginger_kids.jpg

"I gave my blood, sweat, and tears to this organization and now they don't respect me!"

:toofunny:

desertsteel
05-13-2007, 02:47 PM
His act is getting old....... good riddence

tony hipchest
05-13-2007, 04:13 PM
i cant believe some steelerfans are still fixated on this. the media migh as well have asked faneca "are you excited to see your starting qb go down due to an injury?"

what i do remember is faneca doing his job and anchoring a line that helped the rookie win 13 straight games (and the team win 15 in a row) with back ups ross and vincent having to fill in. i remember the pro bowl season he had and duce and jerome having 100 yds every time they took the field, on the way to an afc champ game.

what he said friday was insulting. what he said 3 years ago was a non story imo. the media needs to learn not to ask such stupid questions when guys come off the practice field.

ChronoCross
05-13-2007, 04:25 PM
Could of been posted in;

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=16753&page=27

fansince'76
05-13-2007, 04:30 PM
Merged "Remember this?" thread with "Faneca says he wants out" thread due to similar subject matter.

SteelCzar76
05-13-2007, 05:08 PM
i cant believe some steelerfans are still fixated on this. the media migh as well have asked faneca "are you excited to see your starting qb go down due to an injury?"

what i do remember is faneca doing his job and anchoring a line that helped the rookie win 13 straight games (and the team win 15 in a row) with back ups ross and vincent having to fill in. i remember the pro bowl season he had and duce and jerome having 100 yds every time they took the field, on the way to an afc champ game.

what he said friday was insulting. what he said 3 years ago was a non story imo. the media needs to learn not to ask such stupid questions when guys come off the practice field.

Exactly. Alan has done considerably well here. Even in light of the occassional public outbursts of his opinion's regarding team buisness. Be that concerning Staff and or personel. (Himself included) Which could be viewed (rightfully so perhaps) as being in 'poor taste' to say the least.

But the bottom line is as such. As Steeler faithful we all know the drill when it comes to this organization and their willingness to retain the services of any veteran players that give them any reason to doubt making any further investment in their services. And though this is usually due to some sort of injury history and or drop off in production. (both real and perceived)
It also has apparently come to encompass those whom 'Stir the Pot'.

As for me though,....i will wait it out and see. (As they made no effort to trade him at Draft time) And perhaps may have some designs on him remaining here. Though it wil be interesting to see how they do so regarding Cap. (If this is indeed the case)

Atlanta Dan
05-13-2007, 06:38 PM
This could go in a Troy thread or here, but any possibility of doing something with Faneca cannot go forward until Polamalu's situation is worked out and the Steelers see how much money is left in the cash drawer.

Troy is being very low key, which is both his nature and the understandable position here - he is the Steelers must sign this offseason and the Steelers will have a mutinous clubhouse & fan base on their hands if both Troy and Faneca are unsigned going into training camp. Troy is in a great negotiating position.

If there is any possibility of signing Faneca (which I doubt) be on the lookout for signings of Simmons or Starks; if either of those 2 sign then that slams the door completely as the Steelers OL budget for this year will be spent.

Incredible mismanagement of the Porter and Faneca contracts - at this point any conclusion the Troy negotiations are on course is pretty much wishful thinking.

Northside Jonny
05-13-2007, 10:19 PM
This would be a good time to trade him . He is obviously not gonna be a good fit with an organization that is in transition. GET WHAT WE CAN FOR HIM !!!!!!!!!
I bet there is someone out there willing to give up a number one for Faneca.

Hammer67
05-14-2007, 07:14 PM
Man...what happened to my favorite player??!!

All this is because dumb ass owners are overpaying scrub guards around the league.

steelafan
05-14-2007, 10:22 PM
If you hate hearing football players bitch about money, stop giving your money to football.

Professional football is a business. You exchange your money for the pleasure of being entertained. As much as the Steelers may seem like family, they are no different. NFL owners are trying to get as much money from television and merchandise as possible while paying as few expenses as they can. That's why pro teams extort troubled cities for stadiums and pay their players as little as they possibly can.

Professional football treats its players like sh**. Players can be cut at any time and bumped off the payroll. They often die young. Many leave football with terrible physical and emotional problems and few obvious post-football career prospects. So when Alan Faneca says he's leaving Pittsburgh after this season because of the team's refusal to infest in him long-term, don't make him out to be Barry Bonds- he's thinking about Mike Webster and Justin Strelzyk. He's a guy who knows he better get his before he's brain damaged at fifty.

I remember once, years ago, when Curt Schilling was asked if he was overpaid. He said something to the effect of "I'm overpaid compared to the guy working minimum wage- he works as hard as I do, but wouldn't I be an idiot if I didn't try to get what I'm worth in the market?" Of course football players make a lot of money, but a guy like Faneca knows that he better get as much as he can because he could tear up his knee tomorrow and never make another penny from football for as long as he lives. And after football, then what?

Maybe the guy is kind of a ********, but he's staring Gene Upshaw's raw deal in the face. Football players don't have it nearly as good as baseball players- they have entered into an extremely lopsided union contract- one which has allowed the league (read: OWNERS) to thrive at the expense of the players. Faneca wants $7 million- the NFL's TV contract is worth $4 billion- he wants about one fifth of one percent of the whole TV contract. It seems more reasonable in those terms. According to Ryan Murphy at FoxSports/Askmen.com "playing in the NFL is the fourth most hazardous occupation in America behind only firefighting, race-car driving, and fishing. In fact the career expectancy of an NFL player is less than four years." Whether or not playing football actually is the fourth most hazardous occupation (this is a hard thing to prove) football players do live, on average to the age of 55- 22 years less than the average American.

I say that if you work a super dangerous job and your employer shows a willingness to cut you adrift, guaranteeing nothing more than your signing bonus while they rake in obscene quantities of money- you reserve the right to ****ing stick it to them, no matter how bad the boss has the customers fooled. That's right- Alan Faneca, the guy who wants more money to participate in the fourth most dangerous profession in America despite the constant threat of being fired with no recourse- Alan Faneca is the bad guy. Dan Rooney, who makes a ****load of money while his ex-employees dry up like brain-damaged sponges deprived of water, he's the benevolent grandfather.

Pittsburgh is supposed to be a union town. ****ing act like it.

from justsayin2000.blogspot

I don't agree with everything in this quote, but I do think Steelers fans' devotion to the Rooneys is at least somewhat misplaced. Obviously Faneca's devotion to them was misplaced until they lied to him.

fansince'76
05-14-2007, 10:26 PM
from justsayin2000.blogspot

I don't agree with everything in this quote, but I do think Steelers fans' devotion to the Rooneys is at least somewhat misplaced. Obviously Faneca's devotion to them was misplaced until they lied to him.

Yeah, it must've sucked playing for a perennial contender (last season notwithstanding) for 9 years for a paltry $3 mil a year. What pawn shop did he hock his SB ring to to make ends meet?

Hammer67
05-14-2007, 10:29 PM
Yeah, it must've sucked playing for a perennial contender (last season notwithstanding) for 9 years for a paltry $3 mil a year. What pawn shop did he hock his SB ring to to make ends meet?

Seriously. On one hand, I don't blame him for wanting market value (however ridiculous it is) but I don't think he should have handled it that way. he makes it sound as though the Rooney's didn't pay him top dollar a few years ago.

And the "security" statement? Hello!! I'll take his "non-security" over my paltry salary any day of the week!!!!

fansince'76
05-14-2007, 10:31 PM
Seriously. On one hand, I don't blame him for wanting market value (however ridiculous it is) but I don't think he should have handled it that way. he makes it sound as though the Rooney's didn't pay him top dollar a few years ago.

And the "security" statement? Hello!! I'll take his "non-security" over my paltry salary any day of the week!!!!

I forgot to add that the Steelers DID make Faneca the richest OG in the NFL in '02. I refuse to blame the Rooneys for other teams spending foolish amounts of money for marginal OG talent - it's also no coincidence that those same teams consistently draft in the top 10 year after year.

Faneca signed a contract extension in 2002 that made him the highest-paid guard in the league.

Source: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_507237.html

Davison_K
05-14-2007, 10:33 PM
He has to be worth a first round pick! SHIP HIM OUT!!!

tony hipchest
05-14-2007, 10:37 PM
so what was said to faneca that made him skip saturdays morning practice?

i assumed it was art II telling him to stfu but faneca said it was nothing from that meeting.

adam schefter reported a steeler player told him that friday evening when tomlin addressed the team, he said he wanted no distractions over the weekend and mentionned faneca by name. in other words he singled him out in front of the team, and appearantly faneca didnt like that. :crying01:

i can see a proud veteran not wanting to be called out in front of his teammates, but he did call out the whole organization infront of the world. :hunch:

its nice to know tomlin will take charge of the locker room, yet let the f.o. take charge at the negotiation tables, and not get the 2 confused.

Atlanta Dan
05-14-2007, 10:46 PM
so what was said to faneca that made him skip saturdays morning practice?

i assumed it was art II telling him to stfu but faneca said it was nothing from that meeting.

adam schefter reported a steeler player told him that friday evening when tomlin addressed the team, he said he wanted no distractions over the weekend and mentionned faneca by name. in other words he singled him out in front of the team, and appearantly faneca didnt like that. :crying01:

i can see a proud veteran not wanting to be called out in front of his teammates, but he did call out the whole organization infront of the world. :hunch:

its nice to know tomlin will take charge of the locker room, yet let the f.o. take charge at the negotiation tables, and not get the 2 confused.

I assume Schecter's source is quote machine Hines Ward (the Steelers answer to the Drudge Report) so who knows if Tomlin said it or in what context. I have no doubt someone told Schecter that was said, but that does not mesh with the impression Tomlin has created so far.

Faneca's contract mess is the 2007 sequel to Cowher's contract mess and will be background noise for the entire season.

tony hipchest
05-15-2007, 12:08 AM
I assume Schecter's source is quote machine Hines Ward (the Steelers answer to the Drudge Report) so who knows if Tomlin said it or in what context. I have no doubt someone told Schecter that was said, but that does not mesh with the impression Tomlin has created so far.

.:sofunny: for some reason, i didnt even think of the resident lockerroom spokesman as the source. now hines is one of my favorite players, and i can see how he could perceive tomlin as saying "alan, if you have any beefs, please keep it in house" as calling him out, whereas some of the younger players would agree and just look at it as him laying down the law so they all can learn and work in a more condusive enviornment.

everything tells me tomlin wants faneca on his side, but everythin also tells me hes not gonna kiss no ass or place any one person above the team to make it happen. im sure he looks at it the same way i do. it is much more likely that 1 of the 53 man roster miss time due to an injury rather than a contract dispute hold out (they are much more rare). hes gotta be prepared either way.

this nonchalant, "take it in stride" appraoch has gotta be bugging the hell out of faneca. im sure cowher and grimm would be knocking on his door begging him to report.

tomlin seems to be handling this in the same way child psychologists instruct parents to handle their children who are throwing tantrums.

who knows, maybe it helps to have a coach who is raising 5 & 6 year olds, rather than 18 year old young college women. (then again, maybe there is no difference in the way faneca is publicly acting).

and yet i understand fanecas point of view. it must almost be embarrasing that it is randy moss who now looks like he is more into it for the ring and not the money, yet it is moss who probably has a larger bank account and a better shot of making it into the hall of fame. at this point money must be #1 on fanecas mind.

MasterOfPuppets
05-15-2007, 02:59 AM
the bottom line is , if the rooneys had no intention of giving him a hutchinson like deal , they should have traded him. :coffee:

Indy_Steelers
05-15-2007, 09:31 AM
:sofunny: for some reason, i didn't even think of the resident locker room spokesman as the source. now hines is one of my favorite players, and i can see how he could perceive tomlin as saying "alan, if you have any beefs, please keep it in house" as calling him out, whereas some of the younger players would agree and just look at it as him laying down the law so they all can learn and work in a more condusive enviornment.

everything tells me tomlin wants faneca on his side, but everything also tells me hes not gonna kiss no ass or place any one person above the team to make it happen. I'm sure he looks at it the same way i do. it is much more likely that 1 of the 53 man roster miss time due to an injury rather than a contract dispute hold out (they are much more rare). hes gotta be prepared either way.

this nonchalant, "take it in stride" approach has gotta be bugging the hell out of faneca. I'm sure cowher and grimm would be knocking on his door begging him to report.

tomlin seems to be handling this in the same way child psychologists instruct parents to handle their children who are throwing tantrums.

who knows, maybe it helps to have a coach who is raising 5 & 6 year old, rather than 18 year old young college women. (then again, maybe there is no difference in the way faneca is publicly acting).

and yet i understand fanecas point of view. it must almost be embarrassing that it is randy moss who now looks like he is more into it for the ring and not the money, yet it is moss who probably has a larger bank account and a better shot of making it into the hall of fame. :toofunny: at this point money must be #1 on fanecas mind.

I like your assessment except for the part about Moss having a better chance that Alan of making the HOF but I was have a tough morning and needed a luagh.

steelsandman
05-15-2007, 04:02 PM
I think they may have signed him later had he just remained patient. The Steelers have rarely completed any contract renegotiations this early. They are going to see what the draft picks salaries are going to look like. Then they are going to give Troy a huge contract and then try to sign any other veterans that will not break the bank.

steelafan
05-15-2007, 09:14 PM
I think they may have signed him later had he just remained patient. The Steelers have rarely completed any contract renegotiations this early. They are going to see what the draft picks salaries are going to look like. Then they are going to give Troy a huge contract and then try to sign any other veterans that will not break the bank.

Regardless of what the Steelers usually do, this time they told Faneca in February that they had no intentions of resigning him beyond his curent contact, that they were happy to use him one more year at the price they have him for.

Of course, they made the "non-offer" so they could say FANECA was the one who turned THEM down. Patience would have gotten Faneca NOTHING. The Steelers were counting on him to be quiet and just take their treatment of him. I'm sorry, but I don't think any employer should do that to any employee unless the employee has had a consistently sub-par job performance. That's obviously not the case with Faneca, and even if it was, they wouldn't have wanted to keep him around for another year at any price.

fansince'76
05-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Regardless of what the Steelers usually do, this time they told Faneca in February that they had no intentions of resigning him beyond his curent contact, that they were happy to use him one more year at the price they have him for.

Of course, they made the "non-offer" so they could say FANECA was the one who turned THEM down. Patience would have gotten Faneca NOTHING. The Steelers were counting on him to be quiet and just take their treatment of him. I'm sorry, but I don't think any employer should do that to any employee unless the employee has had a consistently sub-par job performance. That's obviously not the case with Faneca, and even if it was, they wouldn't have wanted to keep him around for another year at any price.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_507237.html

Yeah, Faneca has been so mistreated. :rolleyes:

steelafan
05-15-2007, 10:38 PM
Yeah, Faneca has been so mistreated. :rolleyes:

Why do people keep bringing up the distant past? I don't dispute that. But since at least February of this year, the Steelers decided to handle Faneca differently. Just because they did things right in the past, doesn't mean they did right by him this time.

fansince'76
05-15-2007, 10:42 PM
Why do people keep bringing up the distant past? I don't dispute that. But since at least February of this year, the Steelers decided to handle Faneca differently. Just because they did things right in the past, doesn't mean they did right by him this time.

According to whom? Faneca and his agent? I'd like to get the FO's take on it before I rush to judgment, especially considering how big a crybaby Faneca's been about the whole thing, sorry. I haven't heard this much blubbering and crying since we won SB XL.

MasterOfPuppets
05-15-2007, 10:47 PM
and why do people keep bringing this up? what part of the salary cap do you not understand? who do you think should be cut in order to keep faneca?

tony hipchest
05-15-2007, 10:55 PM
and why do people keep bringing this up? what part of the salary cap do you not understand? who do you think should be cut in order to keep faneca?cutting clark, wilson, okolbi, and kirschke should do it and allow us to sign polamalu too. but then we still have starks, simmons as free agents and m. smith to extend. i assume we wanna keep mcfadden and anthony smith around too.

MasterOfPuppets
05-15-2007, 11:34 PM
cutting clark, wilson, okolbi, and kirschke should do it and allow us to sign polamalu too. but then we still have starks, simmons as free agents and m. smith to extend. i assume we wanna keep mcfadden and anthony smith around too.
don't forget about ben

paw-n-maul-u
05-16-2007, 01:51 AM
cutting clark, wilson, okolbi, and kirschke should do it and allow us to sign polamalu too. but then we still have starks, simmons as free agents and m. smith to extend. i assume we wanna keep mcfadden and anthony smith around too.

Well don't you just have a quick fix for everything. It wouldn't be worth it to sign faneca.

I argued this point earlier, the steelers probably didn't get a good enough trade offer for him, OR they thought him playing this year and next years OBVIOUS third round comp. pick would be more valuable. This wasn't that stellar of a class for OL either so I'm not too disappointed. Next year's class is going to be out of this world. OL and RB's next year for sure.

Pat Kirwan must have read my posts on this thread earlier because he wrote an article about it:

http://nfl.com/news/story/10183442

Steel Pit
05-16-2007, 06:34 AM

What makes you believe that the Steelers are doing Faneca wrong? The Steelers front office isn't obligated to announce to Alan faneca and the rest of the league that they have no intentions of signing him.

H E L L if the front office came out and announced that they have no plans to extend the contract of Alan Faneca neither this year or next, then they sure as H E L L wouldn't be able to trade him now would they? Teams would just wait untill next year and attempt to sign him as free agent thus saving themselves a 2nd, possibly a 1st, round draft choice that they would have to give to the Steelers.

This thing makes total sense to me. At least the front office isn't telling Faneca that they'll take care of him after the season when they know full well that it's financially impossible.
HE'S NOT BEING MISTREATED.

Some fans act as if they're married to the Steelers and that the Steelers Front Office MUST share all information with them. H E L L, is your spouse obligated to share all of her intentions with you? If she's waiting on you to go outside and mow the lawn so she'll have ample opportunity to take a dump in private, does she need to share that information with you? GRASP ON TO REALITY DUDE!

tony hipchest
05-16-2007, 02:18 PM
Well don't you just have a quick fix for everything. It wouldn't be worth it to sign faneca.

I argued this point earlier, the steelers probably didn't get a good enough trade offer for him, OR they thought him playing this year and next years OBVIOUS third round comp. pick would be more valuable. This wasn't that stellar of a class for OL either so I'm not too disappointed. Next year's class is going to be out of this world. OL and RB's next year for sure.
there is a solution to every problem but you obviously missed my point. i didnt say to cut all those players, i just showed how signing faneca could affect anywhere from 7-10 steelers remaining with the team to put into perspective how it wouldnt be worth it. i didnt notice you had already posted the kirwan article. he mistakenly said the steelers would receive a 2008 draft pick. it will actually be in 2009 after faneca completes a year with his new team that we will be compensated. compensation is based on his salary, what free agents we replace him with, his performance, and games played in 08.

anyways fanecas agent did an interview on sirius radio. he said steelers management told him to play out his current deal and move on after next season. he said faneca has said 100s of times before he wants to retire a steeler. he doesnt want to be the highest paid guard but hed like to be in the top 5. the deal he was offered wasnt even close to the 6th highest, according to him.

Crushzilla
05-16-2007, 02:29 PM
He will play for us this year and he will play pretty well.

He wants his money.

Someone will give it to him.

He'll fade off into retirement.

I don't know what some people think is going to happen. Alan Faneca for Larry Fitzgerald straight up...

coachspeak33
05-17-2007, 09:46 AM
and why do people keep bringing this up? what part of the salary cap do you not understand? who do you think should be cut in order to keep faneca?

Well you sound like a self proclaimed cap-ologist...you should know that cutting players doesnt simply remove 100% of their salary from the cap....

But to play along with your little fantasy game....how about a few of these gems who are way over paid....
C Wilson -2.9 million
J Tuman -1.6
B StPierre -1.2
Gardocki -1.3
C Okobi -2.5
C Kriewaldt -1.1
T Kirshke - 2.2
D Townsend -2.1

Ya know what all these well paid athletes have in common????
Two things

1. All are backups....(Deshea needs an asterisk or something because he really does a nice job for our D as a part time starter...he is versatile and a excellent DB vs the run)

2. They are all overpaid....this is probably where many fans (including myself) resentment over the whole faneca debate begins....are the rooneys cheap??? That is the wrong question to ask....how bout this one.
Do the rooneys spend their money properly ...... NOT RECENTLY....and when you combine that with underachieving day 2 selections over the last 2-3 yrs...that isnt a sign tat all is well in the personel dept.

I know, I know they "found" Willie Parker.....I find it interesting that some steeler fans call the Patsies drafting Brady luck....but Willie Parker is a result of Rooney genius...:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

I am sorry to interupt you....please continue to "educate" the rest of us on how the cap works.....baaaaaaaa little sheep, baaaaaa:wink02:

fansince'76
05-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Well you sound like a self proclaimed cap-ologist...you should know that cutting players doesnt simply remove 100% of their salary from the cap....

But to play along with your little fantasy game....how about a few of these gems who are way over paid....
C Wilson -2.9 million
J Tuman -1.6
B StPierre -1.2
Gardocki -1.3
C Okobi -2.5
C Kriewaldt -1.1
T Kirshke - 2.2
D Townsend -2.1

Ya know what all these well paid athletes have in common????
Two things

1. All are backups....(Deshea needs an asterisk or something because he really does a nice job for our D as a part time starter...he is versatile and a excellent DB vs the run)

2. They are all overpaid....this is probably where many fans (including myself) resentment over the whole faneca debate begins....are the rooneys cheap??? That is the wrong question to ask....how bout this one.
Do the rooneys spend their money properly ...... NOT RECENTLY....and when you combine that with underachieving day 2 selections over the last 2-3 yrs...that isnt a sign tat all is well in the personel dept.

I know, I know they "found" Willie Parker.....I find it interesting that some steeler fans call the Patsies drafting Brady luck....but Willie Parker is a result of Rooney genius...:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

I am sorry to interupt you....please continue to "educate" the rest of us on how the cap works.....baaaaaaaa little sheep, baaaaaa:wink02:

Here's an idea - why don't you offer what your solution would be for a change instead of yet another potshot at the FO? After all, you seem to have all the answers and the Rooneys are clueless.

coachspeak33
05-17-2007, 12:11 PM
Here's an idea - why don't you offer what your solution would be for a change instead of yet another potshot at the FO? After all, you seem to have all the answers and the Rooneys are clueless.

Fansince76, I am not trying to start anything....this is a serious question i have for you.

C Wilson -2.9 million
J Tuman -1.6
B StPierre -1.2
Gardocki -1.3
C Okobi -2.5
C Kriewaldt -1.1
T Kirshke - 2.2

do these cap figures make you happy as a steelers fan????
if they dont then any kind of argument is one over simple semantics (in other words we agree)....

if they do then i would appreciate hearing your reasons why

Yes the rooneys have recently drew criticism from me, however, i dont dislike the rooney family and i have the utmost respect for what they have meant .... not only the the steelers organization but the entire city of pittsburgh

why is it so hard for you to understand that a fellow steelers fan doesnt like the idea of letting good players go...while overpaying for guys who are career 2nd stringers

fansince'76
05-17-2007, 12:24 PM
Fansince76, I am not trying to start anything....this is a serious question i have for you.

C Wilson -2.9 million
J Tuman -1.6
B StPierre -1.2
Gardocki -1.3
C Okobi -2.5
C Kriewaldt -1.1
T Kirshke - 2.2

do these cap figures make you happy as a steelers fan????
if they dont then any kind of argument is one over simple semantics (in other words we agree)....

if they do then i would appreciate hearing your reasons why

Yes the rooneys have recently drew criticism from me, however, i dont dislike the rooney family and i have the utmost respect for what they have meant .... not only the the steelers organization but the entire city of pittsburgh

why is it so hard for you to understand that a fellow steelers fan doesnt like the idea of letting good players go...while overpaying for guys who are career 2nd stringers

Wilson and Kirschke I'll give you - however, the veteran minimum is now a cool $750,000 a year and most of these other guys aren't all that far above that, certainly not far enough to make up the difference between what Faneca wants and what he's actually getting and still be able to offer Troy and Ben long term deals that we're going to have to very soon. Okobi isn't going to be a backup much longer, IMO (for better or worse - we'll see). Gardocki is as good as gone. St. Pierre is hush money, so he won't go back to the Ratbirds with our playbook in hand. :chuckle:

SteelerMurf
05-17-2007, 12:58 PM
there is a solution to every problem but you obviously missed my point. i didnt say to cut all those players, i just showed how signing faneca could affect anywhere from 7-10 steelers remaining with the team to put into perspective how it wouldnt be worth it. i didnt notice you had already posted the kirwan article. he mistakenly said the steelers would receive a 2008 draft pick. it will actually be in 2009 after faneca completes a year with his new team that we will be compensated. compensation is based on his salary, what free agents we replace him with, his performance, and games played in 08.

anyways fanecas agent did an interview on sirius radio. he said steelers management told him to play out his current deal and move on after next season. he said faneca has said 100s of times before he wants to retire a steeler. he doesnt want to be the highest paid guard but hed like to be in the top 5. the deal he was offered wasnt even close to the 6th highest, according to him.

I don't know why everyone just assumes that the Steelers have to want to resign him. This is a business and the Steelers NEVER overpay on free agents so why would we think they would overpay on one from their own team. Guards are being paid WAY too much and that doesn't mean the Steelers should follow suit. Guard by far is the easiest position to replace on the oline. You don't pay a guard like a left tackle....unless you are the Browns, Cowboys or Bills.

fansince'76
05-17-2007, 01:01 PM
Guards are being paid WAY too much and that doesn't mean the Steelers should follow suit.

Bingo!

TackleMeBen
05-17-2007, 01:54 PM
St. Pierre is hush money, so he won't go back to the Ratbirds with our playbook in hand. :chuckle:

Maybe we should give him a fake playbook?? that way when he is cut and picked up by another team in the division they will have all the wrong plays:thumbsup:

coachspeak33
05-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Wilson and Kirschke I'll give you - however, the veteran minimum is now a cool $750,000 a year and most of these other guys aren't all that far above that, certainly not far enough to make up the difference between what Faneca wants and what he's actually getting and still be able to offer Troy and Ben long term deals that we're going to have to very soon. Okobi isn't going to be a backup much longer, IMO (for better or worse - we'll see). Gardocki is as good as gone. St. Pierre is hush money, so he won't go back to the Ratbirds with our playbook in hand. :chuckle:

we agree on more than you may realize:cheers:

i just think that the offseason is the FO's regular season...and not many are impressed up to this point with the efforts to improve at team that was 8-8 last year.

Dont read anything into it more than that....I just make comments on here based on what i observed this offseason....which i gotta admit is way too much....but i eat sleep and breath steelers 24-7-365

i dont know how much i would enjoy my "steeler hobby" if all i did was pat myself, other steeler fans, and the organization on the back...
and taking the attitude that if you dont agree with me your wrong...
that doesnt make for interesting debate....which i do believe is the reason and motivation for sites such as this

I would estimate that the majority of steelers fans are knowledgable, passionate and loyal fans....some just go a bit overboard with one of those three qualities:wink02:

futhermore, blind loyalty while refusing to do any kind of research to support an argument is not good for anyone....unlike some posters on here i actually read the posts/opinions that i comment on...instead they scan posts and if they dont like what they see their responses usually result in some form of "rooting"

the threads would be pretty un-interesting if every posts was
"go steelers",
"we are the best",
"everybody else sucks",
"we are always right",
"nobody else deserves any credit",
"we got screwed",
"the didnt beat us...they got lucky"
"we never make mistakes"

i enjoy your posts 76, this is not a disease you suffer from....you do your HW...your passionate about it...i am good with that...r u ok w/ that too?

tony hipchest
05-17-2007, 02:17 PM
coachspeak,

C Wilson -2.9 million = 1.9
J Tuman -1.6 =1.2
B StPierre -1.2 =.75
Gardocki -1.3 = 1.0
C Okobi -2.5 = 2.0
C Kriewaldt -1.1 =.73
T Kirshke - 2.2 =1.6

12.8 vs. 9.18 (my numbers are actual savings cause we would take a cap hit for signing bonuses and have almost $4 mil in dead money. heres the salaries list i used which has some minor differences in yours- st pierre just signed a 1 year tender for minimum. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07005/751393-66.stm

so you are proposing cutting all these "overpriced backups" players in favor of faneca. we'll go with current fair market value for him. $49mil/7 years $21mil signing bonus (guaranteed). that means the 21 mil will have to be spread across the life of the contract = 3 mil/year. that puts us 3mil over for the following season (troy money). who do we cut then? faneca wont play out the life of the contract. will we pay a 3 million cap charge every year for 3 years after hes gone? in the meantime this will have a ripple effect on the signing of smith, simmons, and starks and haggans. sure we replace them with back ups, but those back ups will be due for pay raises, and who do we back them up with? cant use scrubs of the street and the draft is hit or miss.

so you can see we still have problems if we could cut all 7 you listed. unfortunately some are too important to cut (remember were talking about cutting alot of sb champions here)

from 2005 season:As you can see, second tight end Jerame Tuman played 40 percent of the plays, which means there were a significant number of plays with two tight ends (since Heath Miller played 77 percent of the snaps). Cedrick Wilson is the No. 3 wide receiver, and he played more than Willie Parker[51% of offensive snaps], so you know Pittsburgh was doing things with personnel to find matchups on certain downs and distances. these players are more than just back ups. they are a necessity to our offense (that won a superbowl) okolbi may be a necessity too.

and heres the kick in the ass. even if we did cut all 7, that money would need to be used on 08 seasons salary cap hits for ward, parker, taylor and keisel. do we take care of the contracts we already got in place or foolishly spend money on new high dollar contracts for 1 player who may or may not even want to play for tomlin.

the rooneys arent gonna tear apart the whole team of champions to make room for 1 player. and this deal of renegotiating deals and pushing money further and further into the future has to stop and it is with players such as faneca and porter. thats nice they want to stay with the team and retire a steeler, but sucks that they expect the team to mortgage the future to do so. but then again do you think they care what the steelers record is once they retire? once theyre gone, they dont feel it when the steelers win or lose. the fans and rooneys do.

sure they probably shoulda traded him seeing the writing on the wall, but they know there is a strong core here that should be competing for a sb. they obviously thought cowher was the problem and promptly got rid of him. they know alan is a key part in making that run. so we lease a ferrari for a year for the price of a lincoln. now thats a good deal.

fansince'76
05-17-2007, 02:26 PM
we agree on more than you may realize:cheers:

i just think that the offseason is the FO's regular season...and not many are impressed up to this point with the efforts to improve at team that was 8-8 last year.

Dont read anything into it more than that....I just make comments on here based on what i observed this offseason....which i gotta admit is way too much....but i eat sleep and breath steelers 24-7-365

i dont know how much i would enjoy my "steeler hobby" if all i did was pat myself, other steeler fans, and the organization on the back...
and taking the attitude that if you dont agree with me your wrong...
that doesnt make for interesting debate....which i do believe is the reason and motivation for sites such as this

I would estimate that the majority of steelers fans are knowledgable, passionate and loyal fans....some just go a bit overboard with one of those three qualities:wink02:

futhermore, blind loyalty while refusing to do any kind of research to support an argument is not good for anyone....unlike some posters on here i actually read the posts/opinions that i comment on...instead they scan posts and if they dont like what they see their responses usually result in some form of "rooting"

the threads would be pretty un-interesting if every posts was
"go steelers",
"we are the best",
"everybody else sucks",
"we are always right",
"nobody else deserves any credit",
"we got screwed",
"the didnt beat us...they got lucky"
"we never make mistakes"

i enjoy your posts 76, this is not a disease you suffer from....you do your HW...your passionate about it...i am good with that...r u ok w/ that too?

Yeah, we're cool, coachspeak33 - I think you are well-informed also and are definitely passionate about the Steelers - you probably wouldn't be here if you weren't. And if this was another steelers.com, (one ill-informed initial post followed by 20 posts of "I agree," "good post," "high-five," etc.) I wouldn't be here. It would be extremely boring if everyone agreed on everything. And it's definitely NOTHING personal! :cheers:

Florida_Steelers_Fan
05-17-2007, 02:37 PM
that little inconvenient thing called a "salary cap" was put in place so the NFL could have a competitive balance...you CANNOT re-sign every player and certain guys will inevitably have to go. if faneca leaves he'll join a long list of players that left, not because the rooney's are cheap, but because the system has created this revolving door of player transactions.

coachspeak33
05-17-2007, 04:04 PM
tony ... your point is well taken.... and i fully agree ......... 100%.

Those players salaries and my view of them had little to do w/ my feeling concerning faneca really.

They got brought into the debate by me ..... I was forced to do so because i got sick of the "how dare anyone question the perfect rooney's!!!" Some of you have commented on it this offseason. (And on several posts I have already expressed a deep amount of respect & gratitude for the family...so need for it again)

At no point in any of my posts do i recall wanting any of those players cut.....i realize the ramifications of cutting players and its effect on the cap.

Nope we are stuck with those cap figures regardless.

I have been clammoring for a more proactive approach by the FO....Faneca's situation is the easiest example.

Two seperate deals....but hell I am supposed to be working!!! LOL

TackleMeBen
05-17-2007, 04:21 PM
http://http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/beautifulgirl427/horse.gifwhy do we keep beating a dead horse over this. fancea has made it clear that he dont want to stay a steeler, so adios amigo!

HometownGal
05-17-2007, 04:29 PM
why do we keep beating a dead horse over this. fancea has made it clear that he dont want to stay a steeler, so adios amigo!

I was thinking the exact same thing, TMB. Let him sign for his big payday with one of the many non-contenders out there. He can watch the Steelers in SBXLII from his living room comfy chair.

TackleMeBen
05-17-2007, 04:37 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing, TMB. Let him sign for his big payday with one of the many non-contenders out there. He can watch the Steelers in SBXLII from his living room comfy chair.

i have this great smiley of beating a dead horse, but when i tried to post it it gave me the red x...

Edman
05-17-2007, 05:44 PM
Tomlin lays down the law.

http://nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10181816

83-Steelers-43
05-17-2007, 05:46 PM
I'll start complaining and crying (sorry Alan, no pun intended) about the Rooney way of business when...ummm.....oh I don't know, when we stop contending in the playoffs on a fairly regular basis and winning Super Bowls.

Until then, I would rather have patience and see how things pan out before I start pretending that I can do a better job. I guess that makes me one of those infamous "sheep". Much like I was with Craig Patrick in his later years and with the current Pirate organization.....pffhh.

83-Steelers-43
05-17-2007, 06:18 PM
Dan Rooney Reacts To Faneca's Comments

Ken Rice
Reporting

(KDKA) PITTSBURGH Less than a week after Steelers Guard Alan Faneca told a locker room filled with reporters that this would be his last year with the team, Steelers Owner and Chairman Dan Roooney responded to his comments.

Frustrated that contract negotiations had stalled, the All-Pro offensive lineman lashed out at Steelers management on Friday. "I do things right. I go out there. I play hard and give it everything I have and I think guys in the locker room see that," he added, "and to be treated like this, I think it sends a message; it's a quiet but a strong message."

"They've made it crystal clear," he added, "that they have no intentions of signing me this year."

Responding for the first time to Faneca's comments, Rooney told KDKA's Ken Rice in an exclusive interview that he wasn't happy about the public statements.

"I wasn't pleased with it; but you know, I don't know whether they were contrived," Rooney added, "I think he really feels that way. He's very emotional."

Rooney went on to say that he's actually concerned about Faneca's health.

"I worry about him. I was concerned that he might get himself so worked up that he could cause himself some harm, medically."

As for whether or not Faneca will be with the team after this season, Rooney responded, "We've always said that we're open to negotiate."

Still, he admits that the Steelers just can't meet Faneca's salary demands. "His agent says that if we got together and did certain things we could do it," Rooney added. "Well, you know, that gets down to paying him what he wants and we just don't think we can do that."

In response to Faneca's assertion that he's "earned the right to be treated fairly" after nine years of giving his all, Rooney told KDKA, "You definitely try to be fair. I think fairness, of course, is in the eye of the beholder."

"It's easy for a loser to pay more money than it is for a winner because we have players at every position that are quite good... We can't pay every player on the team the highest money that they got."

When it comes to matching what other teams pay their players, Rooney told the story of former Steelers Linebacker Andy Russell. When Russell told Rooney he deserved as much as a linebacker on another team, Rooney told Russell that the owner of that other team doesn't know what he's doing and he's a jerk!

See more of Ken Rice's interview with Steelers Chairman Dan Rooney this Monday on KDKA-TV News at 6:00pm

http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_137152301.html

For video of Rooney's comments: http://kdka.com/video/?id=27886@kdka.dayport.com

fansince'76
05-17-2007, 06:28 PM

"I worry about him. I was concerned that he might get himself so worked up that he could cause himself some harm, medically."

Same here Mr. Rooney - I was worried he might hold his breath until he turns blue.

http://www.ecardecals.com/Calvin_Holding_Breath.gif

tony hipchest
05-17-2007, 07:15 PM
Responding for the first time to Faneca's comments, Rooney told KDKA's Ken Rice in an exclusive interview that he wasn't happy about the public statements.

"I wasn't pleased with it; but you know, I don't know whether they were contrived," Rooney added, "I think he really feels that way. He's very emotional."

ouch! "here you go alan- we dont have the money you want but we got these":

:chillpill:chillpill:chillpill

(i dont think alan will be as amused with dans comment as i am) :binky:

When it comes to matching what other teams pay their players, Rooney told the story of former Steelers Linebacker Andy Russell. When Russell told Rooney he deserved as much as a linebacker on another team, Rooney told Russell that the owner of that other team doesn't know what he's doing and he's a jerk!:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

no wonder alans pissed. :crying01:

mr. rooney wont budge an inch and tells it how it is. :wave:

now shut up and go help us win a sb, alan.

83-Steelers-43
05-17-2007, 07:39 PM
Same here Mr. Rooney - I was worried he might hold his breath until he turns blue.

http://www.ecardecals.com/Calvin_Holding_Breath.gif

Give him time, Ed Bouchette stated tonight on "Sports Beat" that Tomlin did in fact fine Faneca for missing that morning practice.

How dare he do that to Alan?!?!?! :jawdrop:

Steeldude
05-17-2007, 10:14 PM
faneca is a baby, plain and simple.

the guy is 30 and his play has declined the past two seasons. why give a player a raise based on that? the steelers owe him nothing at all.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
05-17-2007, 10:58 PM
if he sucked, do you think he'd give the money back?

alan faneca signed the contract that put him at the top of the list of highest paid guards...is he stupid enough to think that, within a short period of time, that contract would be outdated?

sometimes professional athletes have their heads so far up their arses that it's beyond belief. faneca is a selfish idiot...it's not so much the money, it's the boo-hoo-ing to the media that gets me.

Steelersfan4life0655
05-17-2007, 11:12 PM
well there always younger guys to take the helms after Faneca leaves. So i am not worried that we would lose this guy. save money to resign or sign players that will benefit us in the next few years.

steelcity58
05-18-2007, 05:33 AM
As always with PFT, take it for what it's worth.....

STEELERS OFFERED FANECA $19 MILLION OVER FIRST THREE YEARS

A source tells us that the Pittsburgh Steelers extended an opening offer to guard Alan Faneca for a contract extension that would have paid him $19 million over the first three years of the deal.

Per the source, Faneca wants $24 million over the first three seasons, and isn't budging.

As we explained on Friday, Faneca's anger regarding the gap between his demand and the team's offer is misplaced. The team has no obligation to pay him more money than the team believes that the 30-year-old offensive lineman deserves. And by publicly crying about the situation, Faneca is no different than Pacman Jones or Chris Henry or T.O. or any other selfish ******* who puts his own interests above a system that has made many men with few if any other marketable skills rich beyond their wildest dreams.

But, hey, at least Faneca showed up for a mandatory minicamp.

"[H]e's a professional. He's here. It's not like he didn't show up," said receiver Hines Ward.

Hines, he showed up because, under the new CBA, he could have lost 25 percent of the prorated bonus amount for 2007, the final year of his current contract. The potential price tag would have been $400,000.

And how can Faneca be described as "a professional" in light of his Friday rant? Panthers receiver Steve Smith wanted a new contract for more than a year, and never said a word about it publicly. Sure, there were rumors that he was milking a hamstring injury last year in quiet protest to the lack of a new deal. But Smith never ran his mouth.

The irony here is that, in identical situations, the receiver acted like an offensive lineman usually does, and the offensive lineman is acting like a receiver usually behaves.

So, in our view, there's nothing professional about what Faneca is doing. And it could be that Faneca and Ward and anyone of their mindset will have to go before new Steelers coach Mike Tomlin can communicate his message to the guys who still get it.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

8 million dollars a year for a side of beef?!!!!!

That's plain friggin nuts...

That's star WR...solid RB...and good QB money...not guard money.

And to the guy/postor questioning loyalty.

WTF are you talking about lame brain?

People like me who bash a player for not showing up to play for his team ARE THE ONES WHO ARE LOYAL.

NOW GO CRY IN YOUR BEER AND BURY YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.

83-Steelers-43
05-18-2007, 07:46 AM
Agents question Faneca's tactic

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, May 18, 2007

In chastising Steelers management over his unhappiness with contract negotiations, Alan Faneca brought personal feelings to the forefront in a league in which decisions are normally made for business reasons.

Several NFL player agents expressed concern with the public display, saying Faneca probably did not help himself by expressing his anger in what amounted to an emotional outburst to the media at last weekend's minicamp.

Against the advice of his representative, Faneca, a six-time Pro Bowl guard, told reporters because he hasn't received a contract offer appropriate for a player of his stature, he doesn't want to remain a team captain and that the 2007 season will be his last with the Steelers.

"Disagreements are always best aired behind closed doors with the Steelers," said Joe Linta, who represents Steelers offensive linemen Chukky Okobi and Willie Colon. "Is he underpaid now relative to his worth on the market? Absolutely. But he's also under contract to them for another year."

Faneca's strategy to tackle Steelers management head-on differs from the low-key approach taken by teammate and Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu, who, like Faneca, has a year remaining on his contract.

Polamalu, however, is only 26 and still is working on his original five-year deal.

Faneca, 30, is pursuing what will likely be his third and final contract.

"It's a little different," Polamalu said. "He's more accomplished and has been here longer."

Agent Rick Smith told the Tribune-Review this week that Faneca knew he wouldn't win a public relations war with the Steelers and that he doesn't advocate clients speaking out the way Faneca did.

Faneca, he said, felt so strongly about what was going on that he wanted his side of the story to be told.

Another agent, Alonzo Shavers, advised one of his clients, New England Patriots cornerback Asante Samuel, to not go public with his displeasure over his contract negotiations this offseason. Samuel did anyway.

"I don't necessarily think publicly going after the team is beneficial in any way, shape or form," said Shavers, who also represents Steelers defensive back hopeful Jovon Johnson. "But at the end of the day, whether I agree, disagree or otherwise, if he's happy, I'm ecstatic. You work for him."

Veteran agent Ralph Cindrich -- who represents a number of NFL players, including Steelers linebacker James Farrior -- believes players should allow their negotiators to bargain, given that the team has experienced negotiators of its own.

Cindrich said emotion doesn't belong at the negotiating table and that it's an agent's responsibility to help clients maintain a positive front with media and fans.

"I thought it was out of character for Alan Faneca," Cindrich said. "I admire his work, what he represents to the organization. If you're going to take that kind of approach, let your mouthpiece do it for you. If you have an agent, he's the one that should be speaking up. Particularly when you have an individual who's a leader on the team. You don't let your client go into that type of situation. You settle him down, because you're only going to say something you want to take back, and it's too late once you say it."

Agents agreed that Faneca should be a hot commodity when he becomes an unrestricted free agent in 2008.

"Realistically, if you want 2008 free-agent dollars, it means you wait until 2008," Cindrich said.

Other veterans on the team in the same situation as Faneca fully understand the reality of entering unrestricted free agency with the Steelers.

Said Jeff Sperbeck, who represents departed linebacker Joey Porter and current starting linebacker Clark Haggans (who is entering the final year of his contract): "As we've seen from Joey, if they're not willing to get a deal done during the offseason, their history shows they don't negotiate during the season, so it'd be clear to us (Haggans) would be an unrestricted free agent next year."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_508283.html

Atlanta Dan
05-18-2007, 09:19 AM
Other veterans on the team in the same situation as Faneca fully understand the reality of entering unrestricted free agency with the Steelers.

Said Jeff Sperbeck, who represents departed linebacker Joey Porter and current starting linebacker Clark Haggans (who is entering the final year of his contract): "As we've seen from Joey, if they're not willing to get a deal done during the offseason, their history shows they don't negotiate during the season, so it'd be clear to us (Haggans) would be an unrestricted free agent next year."

Sperbeck sums it up - if you do not have a deal with the Steelers prior to Labor Day for the last year of your contract then pack your bags.

With the top 2 picks being linebackers and the Steelers strongly considering an eventual shift from the 3-4, Haggans is history.

I still believe Faneca had his blow-up with the full knowledge of his agent in an ongoing attempt to force a trade. Faneca's agent has been disssing the Steelers throughout the offseason (e.g. - consisitently referring to AJR II by his last name only) and last week was simply an effort to turn up the heat.

Having caved in to Porter's effort to force his release, the Steelers are not going to trade Faneca unless they get what they regard as proper value.

Faneca will not be back until August - Troy's deal better be done by the start of camp.

Crushzilla
05-18-2007, 10:13 AM
I feel like Faneca is that guy in a poker game who has been betting his hand all along and then later realizes he has crap. Then he has to keep on pushing to create the illusion that he is still confident in his hand.

I'm playing poker right now...

There is no reason that he shouldn't be taking this $19 million. The only reason the $24 million over three years MUST be accomplished is because it definitively makes him the highest paid guard ever. Its not even about the money as much as the status. If Alan gets that money it'll blow Hutch's $49 over 7 deal away. If people didn't know who Steve Hutchinson was when he played for Seattle, they know who he is now.

I don't understand it, though. I mean he's a guy who made the Pro Bowl on name alone. He's established himself. Now he wants to recieve some absurd contract when everyone, except the poor shmo that will give it to him, knows he will not be able to meet the expectations that come with that kind of bread. Only difference between his and Hutch's signing is that there won't be a fight by us to retain him if we won't settle. I tried to find this information, but I could not: What is the structure of Hutch's contract like? I'll bet this. He was 28 when he signed that contract, so he'll be 34 when its up. Faneca is gonna be 31 at the beginning of the '08 season, so after his 3 year deal he'll be, also, 34. I want to see the structure of Hutch's contract. It probably has been prepared to give him less money as his production will expectedly decline, which may leave room to restructure if he's still performing at a higher level. His production is probably figured to decline around 31, 32 and I wonder if his money reflects that. Faneca apparently wants to be worth more every year, even though he gets worse. I'm just speculating and wish I could find that info, because I feel that would be very interesting. Of course, a lot of Hutch's money was guarenteed and like I said... I'm terrible at economics...

I've been a pretty big Faneca fan over the years. I have an LSU Faneca jersey that I really like. When you speak out like this, though? Saying you felt that Grimm should have been hired... I can handle that. But blowing off the team and saying your gone first chance you get?

Alright... Peace

Steel Pit
05-20-2007, 11:33 PM

Agree with fansince76 on this topic. As I looked at coachspeek's list I thought the same thing. Besides Wilson and Kirschke, the other players look to be making just about MINIMUM salary for their positions with the additional coming from the years of service clause in the NFL/NFLPA contractural agreement.

The Steelers could save a little bit of cap room by replacing the older players on the list with rookies but the amount saved would hardly be noticed.

The NFL is simply a big salary business. If a team carried a 2nd string punter he would make nearly a million dollars a year.

TackleMeBen
05-21-2007, 07:48 AM
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/beautifulgirl427/horse.gif

Indy_Steelers
05-21-2007, 07:51 AM
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/beautifulgirl427/horse.gif

:iagree::toofunny:

qbvision.com
05-23-2007, 03:10 AM
Lets all just face the facts.....no matter how good one player is, how many pro bowls hes been to, how big he is...there is always that guy waiting to be inserted into a game..a guy nobody has ever heard of, a rookie a 2nd year guy, a special teams player...whatever..this is the NFL..its a rough business now, players come and go just like they do everywhere else...remember there is always someone to step in to start the next era..always...nobody is irreplacable(did I spell that right?)...there is someone and everyone out there waiting to make their name..thats what this business is about.....they think in hopes of making more and more...the world doesnt run this way...i was probably the best engineer that walked the earth..maybe..i made my money when I could...i dont know/.? why ? well lots of reasons..there was many people waiting to fill my shoes who were cheaper and did the same exact job...Faneca this is life...get over it play football retire ..DO YOUR JOB..deal with life

stlrtruck
05-23-2007, 08:58 AM
Someone please tell me why we have a 34 page thread on a player that wants to leave the team?

Shouldn't we have a 34 page thread on players like Polamalu, Roethlisberger, and others that want to be on the team - whose goal is to win another SB, not worried about cashing in because he's done it for so long.

Faneca - if you want to cash in, go to Arizona or Washington, I hear those two teams are paying top dollar for over the hill players.