PDA

View Full Version : Faneca says he wants out

Pages : [1] 2

Atlanta Dan
05-11-2007, 12:20 PM
Guard Alan Faneca said today he is attending the required Steelers minicamp only because the team is making him and predicted this will be his last season with the Steelers.

Faneca, who has played in the past six Pro Bowls, said he will depart Pittsburgh Sunday night when practices end and won't return until training camp.

Faneca also said he has asked the Steelers to trade him but that he does not think that will happen. He said they have shown by their lack of progress in contract talks that they no longer want him beyond the 2007 season.

"This will be my last year as a Pittsburgh Steeler," Faneca declared.

He even said that it would be hard for him to serve as a co-captain of the offense again.

"You go somewhere, you've been here for nine years; to do what I've done to help this team out. The things I've done for this team ... and the offer I get is pretty much a non-offer. What am I to think? What are the guys in this room to think? If they can do it to me and everybody else and let Joey [Porter] go and do things like that, what does that say to the rest of the guys?"

Faneca said he's talked to "everyone" in the front office, including Art Rooney, Dan Rooney and Kevin Colbert.

"I've been asking since February, to trade me, to let me go,'' Faneca said in such an emotional interview that at times his left hand was shaking slightly. "I've done my piece, I've done my time, I've done everything I can for this organization.

"I lived and breathed Steelers football for nine years and gave them everything I had, helped them win a Super Bowl. In my mind, I've earned the right to be treated fairly. To make me go out there this year, play football with no security ... for what I've done for this organization, in my mind is not right."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07131/785306-66.stm

Wow - this has become real ugly

Counselor
05-11-2007, 12:24 PM
Damn. I hope things with Troy aren't like this. ugh

Buzz05
05-11-2007, 12:25 PM
Wow - this has become real ugly

Thats an understatement. Maybe this goes beyond Grimm not getting the job. It sounds like he actually feels like he is disrespected.

Sharkissle29
05-11-2007, 12:26 PM
well thats great, we have someone on our offensive line that doesnt want tto even play for us, i think you'll see a lack of effort there. some would argue he'll be fighting for a contract for another team next year, but i just dont know. i dunno i like the way this team has been heading with their front office moves....only time will tell

Buzz05
05-11-2007, 12:29 PM
I really hope he is traded. Atleast get something for him. Dont just let him walk through the season then walk after the season and get nothing. Trade him now and get some help.

OneForTheToe
05-11-2007, 12:31 PM
How can such a big man be such a cry baby. Come on Alan, this is a busines and you know it. How much crying did you do for the veterns the Steelers cut, when they did your second contract (don't remember any names, but I'm sure we are always freeing up cap space). You didn't seem to mind the Steelers unloading saleries then.

Grow up, play your last season, then move on to Arizona. Maybe as part of you deal with the Cardinals, Russ Grimm will agree to tuck you in at night and read you a bedtime story.?
I
almost wish they would trade him now.

rbryan
05-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Anybody got Whiz's cell #?? I was still hoping there was a chance to reconcile but no more. We need to get rid of him NOW if this it what he's about. He should understand as much as anyone that this is a business. Theres no crying in Football.

Counselor
05-11-2007, 12:33 PM
I really hope he is traded. Atleast get something for him. Dont just let him walk through the season then walk after the season and get nothing. Trade him now and get some help.

It too late. We can't get draft picks for this year, and after this little interview--- teams are going to think we'll release him after (or before) the year anyway---so they can just wait.

Preacher
05-11-2007, 12:34 PM
I gotta shake my head at this..

What does Fanaca want? A non-offer my rear-end. If he wants even close to prevailing money, then he KNOWS... HE KNOWS that means he HAS to go elsewhere, because the Steelers are too close to the cap and have too many other players to sign. WHat, he thinks he is MORE important then Ben? Or Troy? There ain't no way. We have had a number of OL that play VERY WELL in the last 25 years.

When was the last time we had a QB or a SAFETY that played at the level our QB and Safety play at?

Use your brain Faneca. And opening your mouth about FO moves, as if your opinion matters on what coach is hired?? Yeah, that makes him even more wanted by teh FO.

Steelers FO have kept us out of cap trouble by making hard decisions... This decision doesn't seem so hard now. Buh Bye!!

stlrtruck
05-11-2007, 12:37 PM
And above anything esle, Faneca should remember that for the most part, the Steelers don't negotiate a new contract until the old one is up. So damn, if it's that bad - come out, play your heart out this year and next year you can go join your boys in Arizona!

Buzz05
05-11-2007, 12:37 PM
It too late. We can't get draft picks for this year, and after this little interview--- teams are going to think we'll release him after (or before) the year anyway---so they can just wait.

I duno, if he is offered up to his old pals Wiz and Grimm then I think they would take it. Get a first rounder next year or put a package together with maybe Bryant Johnson and a 2nd rounder. It could be done if they want it to be done

tony hipchest
05-11-2007, 12:39 PM
past pro bowls aside, why did the steelers bother keeping him? we shouldve struck while the iron was hot. we couldve gotten better by getting rid of him. now we will be worse off by keeping him.

we can win without him. if anyone thinks hes gonna go out next season and bust his ass for his next contract, theyre kidding themselves. hes playing for himself now (not the team). he'll be playing to not get hurt. i hope his randy moss type efforts dont get ben hurt (again) or willie.

rbryan
05-11-2007, 12:41 PM
I'm not even worried so much about getting fair value for him in a trade now. He simply needs to move on and take his bad attitude with him. Poor Alan, only gonna make $3-4 million this year. Wonder if it crossed his mind that if he didn't run his mouth about his disatisfaction with Tomlin over Grimm, that he may have gotten a better offer.

Buzz05
05-11-2007, 12:42 PM
past pro bowls aside, why did the steelers bother keeping him? we shouldve struck while the iron was hot. we couldve gotten better by getting rid of him. now we will be worse off by keeping him.

we can win without him. if anyone thinks hes gonna go out next season and bust his ass for his next contract, theyre kidding themselves. hes playing for himself now (not the team). he'll be playing to not get hurt. i hope his randy moss type efforts dont get ben hurt (again) or willie.

Too bad they couldnt just Keyshawn his ass if he is going to be detrimental to the team

Atlanta Dan
05-11-2007, 12:43 PM
This story crystallizes all of the anxieties of the vets that house is being cleaned now that best buddy Cowher is gone - confirms my opinion that after SB XL the only focus the older vets had was landing their next contract, which resulted in the sorry a** 2006 season.

I recognize Faneca wants the market rate for a new contract, but the Steelers are not going to pay that. As for his risk of injury going into a FA year, that's the breaks (no pun intended) - go buy an insurance policy. If he does not go all out and plays to avoid injury it will not prevent him from getting hurt and will only confirm suspicions that he is on the downslope of his career.

Given his public comments, I can only imagine how the private talks are going; it seems as if he is reading from the script Porter was planning to recite if Joey had not been given his release.

It is now clear to even me that the Steelers should have traded Faneca for whatever they could get.

I bet Ward is saying the same things - this team could be headed for a crack-up of a season.

coachspeak33
05-11-2007, 12:44 PM
a sad day in the history of a great, classy franchise....absolutely rediculous to let one of the good guys just flappin in the breeze like that....Art Sr. is rolling in his grave......Art II should be ashamed

atlsteelers
05-11-2007, 12:44 PM
i am with you all on this one.. what really ticked me off is his comment "i do not know how i can be the co-captian of the offense" screw him - it is a bussinese...i was hoping that at least he would give this new coaching staff an oppurtinity. did you see that photo of him looking like a punk a** staring down the new offense line coach. heck i wanted grimm to get the job but he did not, move on everybody knows the rookies will get their contracts first then they will get down to resigning the veterans, man what bummer to start training camp. the selfless **** had no problem cashing his 1 million roster bonus in march.

coachspeak33
05-11-2007, 12:45 PM
I'm not even worried so much about getting fair value for him in a trade now. He simply needs to move on and take his bad attitude with him. Poor Alan, only gonna make $3-4 million this year. Wonder if it crossed his mind that if he didn't run his mouth about his disatisfaction with Tomlin over Grimm, that he may have gotten a better offer.

get a clue

RoethlisBURGHer
05-11-2007, 12:45 PM
I doubt we can trade him now,so I say keep him because he will play hard this season to get a nice deal and keep his string of Pro Bowls going.Then we can draft a gaurd next year to replace him or move Mahan to OG.

rbryan
05-11-2007, 12:47 PM
I duno, if he is offered up to his old pals Wiz and Grimm then I think they would take it. Get a first rounder next year or put a package together with maybe Bryant Johnson and a 2nd rounder. It could be done if they want it to be done

I agree, there are plenty of teams this time of the year looking to mortgage the future. Anything we get for him is still better than nothing. Cutting him outright would still be better than having him here now. He will cause more harm than good at this point.

ChronoCross
05-11-2007, 12:49 PM
FO had no trouble in letting Porter go they should of done the same with Faneca. There willl be cuts and trades after 6/1 so maybe the FO can get something done there. We do not need conflict and lazy play from a disgruntle player on that O Line this season. Like Tony said, Ben are Willie are any body in the backfield could get hurt by Faneca pulling up on a block and letting a LBer are DE get a full run at Ben are Willie heading into a cut. It was bad enough last season watching Smith and Starks get blown up every game.

TackleMeBen
05-11-2007, 12:54 PM
Anybody got Whiz's cell #?? I was still hoping there was a chance to reconcile but no more. We need to get rid of him NOW if this it what he's about. He should understand as much as anyone that this is a business. Theres no crying in Football.

Coach Wiz - we have a guard if you are interested. pls text back..lol....:flap:

ChronoCross
05-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Coach Wiz - we have a guard if you are interested. pls text back..lol....:flap:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1100000/images/_1100815_text300.jpg

MACH1
05-11-2007, 01:00 PM
I say trade him and trade him now. We dont need that kind of bad attitude in the locker room, it will only fester into a cancer ala t.o.

atlsteelers
05-11-2007, 01:01 PM
once on the field there is no way alan would do anything to get ben or willie hurt. just consider him a rent a player he will play out this season and be gone or better yet we could always franchise his but next year - sorry alan - no signing bonus - you punk - the best we probally could get for him is two second rounders most likely we would only get a second round pick. let him play out the season we need a guard and if he blows out an knee i am not going to loose any sleep over it. its the NFL somebody is always waiting in the shadows for their chance to play

TackleMeBen
05-11-2007, 01:02 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1100000/images/_1100815_text300.jpg

thanks for posting that pic :wink02:

ChronoCross
05-11-2007, 01:06 PM
http://home.columbus.rr.com/darynbrian/Fun%20With%20Milk%20And%20Cheese%20big.jpg

holmes
05-11-2007, 01:07 PM
I think this is a very bad situation, especially the way he is talking about the situation. He is basically baiting the rest of the players to join him in his disgust for the whole organization. I have been looking at his side and at my personal feelings on this. I understand where he is coming from a tiny bit, but it really saddens me. ALL offensive lineman are replaceable, especially in the NFL, if they aren't good they wouldn't be in the NFL(well maybe with the browns). I used to play on the o-line and almost any big piece of meat can block, it's tough, but not rocket science. And what about Chris Kemoeatu, give him a start and bench Faneca. I don't know anymore, I just don't want this to have a ripple effect on other players.

Buzz05
05-11-2007, 01:07 PM
What am I to think? What are the guys in this room to think? If they can do it to me and everybody else and let Joey [Porter] go and do things like that, what does that say to the rest of the guys?"[/B]

I dont really care what he thinks at this point. But it sure seems to me like he is trying to recruit some sympathy from the other guys in the locker room. When did he turn into a douche bag...seriously?

ChronoCross
05-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Faneca after his contract meetings;

http://cdn-25.cdn.buzznet.com/assets/users13/melyxme/default/msg-116650293036.jpg

TackleMeBen
05-11-2007, 01:11 PM
i think fancea needs to go asap, if he is going to be like this. we dont need our qb getting killed this season too.

MACH1
05-11-2007, 01:13 PM
If he's going to have a piss poor attitude he needs to go before it rubs off on to others. IMO

tony hipchest
05-11-2007, 01:21 PM
2 2nd round picks sounds great right about now but unfortunately that ship has sailed and someone in the front office grossly miscalculated and missed the boat.

hell even 1 2nd rounder woulda been nice. justin blaylock or aaron sears tied up for 4 years at $1 million per year sure sounds great right about now.

seattle is ran by retards. maybe we can get on the phone with them and try to leverage them against arizona, but i think even they will be smart enough to sniff that trick out.

faneca would probably didg in his heels with an attempted trade to detroit and make himself only as valuable as a 1 year rent a player.

i wonder how bad the steelers are gonna **** up troys contract situation (maybe art II just wants to slap the franchise tag on him for the hell of it and see how it works) and asking hines ward to take a paycut to bring in free agents who arent even his teammates. :dang:

Counselor
05-11-2007, 01:24 PM
I think this is a very bad situation, especially the way he is talking about the situation. He is basically baiting the rest of the players to join him in his disgust for the whole organization. I have been looking at his side and at my personal feelings on this. I understand where he is coming from a tiny bit, but it really saddens me. ALL offensive lineman are replaceable, especially in the NFL, if they aren't good they wouldn't be in the NFL(well maybe with the browns). I used to play on the o-line and almost any big piece of meat can block, it's tough, but not rocket science. And what about Chris Kemoeatu, give him a start and bench Faneca. I don't know anymore, I just don't want this to have a ripple effect on other players.

May I mention that even JP had a better attitude than this. he knew it was all business---and ended up with a great deal in Miami.

He's made this personal and I can't imagine its not effecting the rest of the team.

Atlanta Dan
05-11-2007, 01:25 PM
I dont really care what he thinks at this point. But it sure seems to me like he is trying to recruit some sympathy from the other guys in the locker room. When did he turn into a douche bag...seriously?

It goes back to Porter getting his release before his FA year after making it clear he would be poison if he played for the Steelers in 2007 withouit a new deal.

At the time, I argued the Porter release promoted team unity by showing the vets that management would not screw them by trading them to a rotten team for a low draft choice. As was the case with my position Faneca should not be traded, I was wrong.

It is clear Faneca took Porter's release to mean if you raise enough hell and threaten to be a team cancer you can negotiate your next deal without having to play out your current deal.

Steelers should bite the bullet and realize they may have a few down years while they purge high priced vets for whatever they can get and retain a core upon which to build for the future. It would help a lot if the Steelers would sign Troy, which would make it clear why they cannot also afford Faneca's demands (which they should make public now that he has gone ballistic).

ChronoCross
05-11-2007, 01:27 PM
May I mention that even JP had a better attitude than this. he knew it was all business---and ended up with a great deal in Miami.

He's made this personal and I can't imagine its not effecting the rest of the team.

JP by far did not have a better attitude.. JP was going to sit if he did not get a contract and he made that point very clear to the FO.. Faneca will show up but how much we get out of him is left to be seen.

Buzz05
05-11-2007, 01:28 PM
JP by far did not have a better attitude.. JP was going to sit if he did not get a contract and he made that point very clear to the FO.. Faneca will show up but how much we get out of him is left to be seen.

Atleast we knew what to expect from JP. That fit his character to do something like that. Faneca just looks like a weasel now. Plain and simple.

ChronoCross
05-11-2007, 01:31 PM
Atleast we knew what to expect from JP. That fit his character to do something like that. Faneca just looks like a weasel now. Plain and simple.

http://www.weaselnomore.com/graphics/wanted%20weasel.jpg

fansince'76
05-11-2007, 01:32 PM
Faneca needs to go now, even though the team will have to bite the bullet. I see Faneca doing nothing at this point but trying to undermine everything Tomlin and the new staff will try to do. Alan, it's been real. AJR II, grow a brain and sign Troy ASAP!

Atlanta Dan
05-11-2007, 01:33 PM
The P-G article now has a link to the audio of the written interview with Faneca today that I linked earlier.

It sounds even worse than it reads - he is pi**ed off!

"I understand this is a business ... I just wanted to be treated fairly."

"No impression" of Tomlin - has only talked with him twice.

He is still "bothered" about Grimm not being hired.

Does not care where he is traded, just wants out.

Wants to be paid as one of the top 10 guards and the Steelers offer does not meet that.

Does say he will continue to play all out.

tony hipchest
05-11-2007, 01:37 PM
hines ward may need to hold a press conference to accomodate all the media that will eagerly be anticipating his "take" and any sweet soundbites he may have to offer today after practice... what are the odds he says "no comment"? :sofunny:

im thinking him and faneca have been talking quite a bit in the last 2 months.

Buzz05
05-11-2007, 01:39 PM
hines ward may need to hold a press conference to accomodate all the media that will eagerly be anticipating his "take" and any sweet soundbites he may have to offer today after practice... what are the odds he says "no comment"? :sofunny:

im thinking him and faneca have been talking quite a bit in the last 2 months.

But what does Hines have to complain about. He got his deal. He knows the business. Does he honestly think this team is going to win with a selfish offensive lineman and an aging linebacker rather then a 25 year old Super Bowl Winning QB and an Unworldly talented Safety? If so then Hines isnt as smart as I though.

verks36
05-11-2007, 01:41 PM
truthfully faneca has a point but he is handling the whole situation very immaturely

lamberts-lost-tooth
Wow...I appreciate the level of play that Faneca has given us over the years...but he CANNOT put himself above the franchise. I am completely okay with calling this year a rebuilding year and shipping his "disrespected" butt to Detroit or Houston.
Heck..I wouldnt mind seeing Kemo or Colon in the trenches this year...Hey Faneca...come here..listen close...*we will go on without you*
Thanks for the memories...appreciate the efforts and I will remember you as one of the greats....but its time to say buh-bye:wave:

fansince'76
But what does Hines have to complain about. He got his deal. He knows the business. Does he honestly think this team is going to win with a selfish offensive lineman and an aging linebacker rather then a 25 year old Super Bowl Winning QB and an Unworldly talented Safety? If so then Hines isnt as smart as I though.

And if that is the case, Hines might need to go too. With the new staff trying to establish itself, there's no room for dissent at this point. Either get with the program or hit the road.

rbryan
05-11-2007, 01:48 PM
get a clue

So whats your suggestion coach. Give $40 Million to someone with a history of running his mouth just so he doesn't get his feelings hurt ?? Just because other teams are willing to pay him more doesn't mean he's worth it. If he wants the big $ he has to wait till NEXT year just like everyone else. I was l willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and supported him all along. I honestly hoped he could come to terms because he's about the best we have and still has a few good years left. After this stunt today he deserves nothing.

83-Steelers-43
05-11-2007, 01:49 PM
It's the media'a fault. He's being misquoted. They are just trying to look for a story. It's all a conspiracy. :coffee:

Steeler7588
05-11-2007, 01:52 PM
If it comes to Faneca or Troy... bye Alan!

tony hipchest
05-11-2007, 01:53 PM
i dont think the steelers wouldve been biting the bullet and taking a few down years by trading faneca and ward. for 1 youre looking at $10 mil+ in extra cap room.

patriots for example traded d. branch for what essentially amounts to randy moss, adalius thomas (the money they saved on branch was used on him) and san fransiscos #1 pick next year (which will probably be in the top 20).

shit, i think i wouldve been happy trading ward and his contract for jarrett straight up. same with faneca. and its not even all about these guys being unhappy, or talking to much, its about being fiscally responsible and ensuring we can compete for superbowls 5-10 years down the road, rather than rebuilding like the titans, raiders, packers, or 49ers.

ChronoCross
05-11-2007, 01:57 PM
Only thing I like hearing out of any of the news - Even Faneca started workouts earlier this season to get in shape. Ike, Townsend, Coc, McFad, Smiths, all started workouts early this season, it looks like the team itself is very unhappy with there performance last season and are starting work early to try and better the team this season. So even tho Faneca is unhappy he says he will play 100% knockout football this season. But if he cannot keep his mouth shut I would try and trade him after 6/1 and give us some cap break far as next year goes, maybe even pick up some draft picks to.

atlsteelers
05-11-2007, 01:57 PM
i might not give him 40 million but i would take the average of the top 10 salaries and make him that offer over 4 years - so lets say the average is 7 million thats only 28 million...the steelers are cheap and more cheap..i understand where alan is coming from but i do not like his approach..heck hines held out and i drilled him but he got his money and i think alan may still get his...look the steelers let a hall of fame coach walk over 3 million a year and they are probally going to let a hall of fame guard walk over 2 or 3 million a year....before this happened i gave the steelers a 60 to 40 chance of signing alan now i am thinking it might be 30 to 70 chance of signing him

Stu Pidasso
05-11-2007, 02:03 PM
Here's my opinion:

Faneca played 9 seasons, gave the Steelers all he had. That's his job.

The Steelers paid him for doing his job.

They're even.

fansince'76
05-11-2007, 02:04 PM
...the steelers are cheap and more cheap.

Yep, the Snyder approach of grossly overpaying for veterans whose best years are behind them has really worked well for the 'Skins....

Buzz05
05-11-2007, 02:06 PM
Yep, the Snyder approach of grossly overpaying for veterans whose best years are behind them has really worked well for the 'Skins....

You just sent shivers up my spine...you said 'Snyder Approach'

83-Steelers-43
05-11-2007, 02:09 PM
"You go somewhere, you've been here for nine years; to do what I've done to help this team out. The things I've done for this team"

And in exchange for your nine years of service you toolbox they made you a multi-millionaire who never has to work another day for the rest of your life.

Jeremy
05-11-2007, 02:11 PM
Don't the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Here's my opinion:

They're even.

...in a nutshell...exactly!

DACEB
05-11-2007, 02:13 PM
"What am I to think? What are the guys in this room to think? If they can do it to me and everybody else and let Joey [Porter] go and do things like that, what does that say to the rest of the guys?"

Alan you piece of s#it, big pu$$y, ungrateful slug. Little girl can't get her way so she's going to try and bring down everybody. Send him home, noone needs to hear that bulls#it all weekend.

fansince'76
05-11-2007, 02:15 PM
"What am I to think? What are the guys in this room to think? If they can do it to me and everybody else and let Joey [Porter] go and do things like that, what does that say to the rest of the guys?"

Alan you piece of s#it, big pu$$y, ungrateful slug. Little girl can't get her way so she's going to try and bring down everybody. Send him home, noone needs to hear that bulls#it all weekend.

I agree - he's begging to be cut. I say the FO gives him his wish, even though it's gonna hurt in the short term.

OX1947
05-11-2007, 02:16 PM
in defense to every Pro football player, playing without a good contract is a very bad thing. This is football not baseball or basketball. The career can be done from one snap. And for a guy who has been probably the best guard of the last decade, he deserves the right to be paid his worth. Now also, this is the NFL and the hard cap says you are screwed. The Steelers would pay him his money if not for the salary cap. So I see both sides and it sucks for both and actually for us fans as well because seeing a guy like Fanaca for 9 years, you would hope he would be with the team til retirement, but the reality in this current system just doesnt allow it most of the time.

OneForTheToe
05-11-2007, 02:19 PM
a sad day in the history of a great, classy franchise....absolutely rediculous to let one of the good guys just flappin in the breeze like that....Art Sr. is rolling in his grave......Art II should be ashamed

Yea, because the Art Sr. would clearly have advised his son and grandson to pay faneca 50 million plus. :blah:

It would have been better to trade Faneca before the draft, in retrospect. Now that he has publicly demanded a trade and called out the Rooney's to do so, I think the Steelers have to keep for the season. You can't be seen to have caved to such a public demand for a trade. ArtII and Dan would clearly consider that a terrible precedent. Welcome to the world of Mike Merryweather(sp) Alan.

I'm not all that worried about Alan's ability to cause dissention, yet. The defense seems happy as long as coach L is in the house. Willie seems to be drinking Tomlin Kool aid. Ben at least seems to have a cup in hand. Hines is just too much of an ueber competitor to not play hard every play. He still plays with that chip on his shoulder. There is no way Hines will "dog it."

So, yes this is a problem, but it is not some kind of poison pill at the moment.

The Duke
05-11-2007, 02:24 PM
If he wants out i'm fine with it. my only concern is who would be his replacement

atlsteelers
05-11-2007, 02:27 PM

this is nothing like the synder approach - alan is one ours - snyder goes after many freeagents who do not always mesh well or fits his teams need... to give alan the money he deserves is totally irrelevant. alan is an All-Pro lineman - you win in the trenches! quit drinking the steeler front office koolaid and face the rooneys are cheap - letting joey go was fine but to let joey, bill, and alan walk is joke! its becoming the franchise way...the begged for their new stadium to keep up with the "new economics" of the NFL but they spend money like the pirates

fansince'76
05-11-2007, 02:34 PM
this is nothing like the synder approach - alan is one ours - snyder goes after many freeagents who do not always mesh well or fits his teams need... to give alan the money he deserves is totally irrelevant. alan is an All-Pro lineman - you win in the trenches! quit drinking the steeler front office koolaid and face the rooneys are cheap - letting joey go was fine but to let joey, bill, and alan walk is joke! its becoming the franchise way...the begged for their new stadium to keep up with the "new economics" of the NFL but they spend money like the pirates

How is it irrelevant? You'll see how irrelevant it is when we have to let Ben and Troy go because we signed good ol' Alan to a 50+ mil contract. I've followed this team and the NFL in general long enough to know that it's easier to replace an All-Pro guard than a franchise QB and a potentially all-time great DB. And if the Rooneys are so cheap, why is it that we have bupkus in cap space year in and year out? The Rooneys pay out EVENLY, they don't OVERPAY for one or two stars and pay minimum to 51 other stiffs - a big reason why we're not 2-14 or 3-13 every year.

Edman
05-11-2007, 02:36 PM
Oh please, like we haven't seen this coming.

The writing was on the wall months before this he said it. Faneca's buddy wasn't hired, he said he didn't like the Tomlin hire and there was no way the Steelers are going to pay him the money he wants.

I said it before and I'll say it again. Buh-bye, Alan. Thanks for the memories. Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Please, FO! Root out the cancer before it's too late!

rbryan
05-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Zero chance now. Thats my point. He is acting like a spoiled little baby (Which isn't helping his chances for big $ elsewhere) I think if he had kept his honest opinions (which he is entiltled too) out of the press he would have gotten a better offer from the FO.

dlsf8607
05-11-2007, 02:38 PM
quit drinking the steeler front office koolaid

So we should assume that us fans with no front office experience know more than a front office with years of experience dealing with a hard salary cap? It's not that they're cheap, it's that they aren't allowed to spend whatever amount of money they feel like spending...it's the current reality in today's NFL, sometimes you have to let older players go to keep your core intact. Who would you get rid of instead?

stlrtruck
05-11-2007, 02:41 PM
Let's face it guys and girls. There is no way that we can afford to keep every player at the price they want to be paid and the FO has to make a priorty for the players they want to keep. Alan just isn't on the top of the list.

I loved having Alan in the trenches and I hope that the FO will be able to keep him but it's got to be give and take on both sides. Unfortunately, players that are in the league long enough no longer want to give and only want to take. While on the other hand, owners seldom want to give.

If you ask me the priorty for the players is not necessarily the ones in the trenches but along those same lines, what good is a franchise QB or RB if you don't have the people to protect them. As for the franchise DB - defense needs it's leaders too.

So sign Troy and Ben to long term deals before they become too over priced. Then either get Alan out of here for some decent draft picks or begin training his replacement NOW!

atlsteelers
05-11-2007, 02:51 PM
i would rather sign alan instead of troy...the NFL salary cap is not that hard manipulate its being done by teams all of the time...

The NFL has profited enormously under the salary cap. All the teams make a profit. Franchise values have shot up. It's television ratings are high. The NFL is king among the professional sports leagues.

So what's wrong with a salary cap? Critics have their reasons. There are a lot of arguments that are often made. In the NFL teams can front load contracts with big bonuses. Those bonuses are still figured into the cap system, but they are spread out over the length of the contract.

Even the NFL players' union admits the league's cap is not rock hard.

"If you total up the actual dollars paid to players since the cap came in with the 1994 season, the total is $2 billion greater than the sum of all the salary caps," M.J. Duberstein, who is research director for the National Football League Players Association, told USA Today.

now how does that work...?

fansince'76
05-11-2007, 02:56 PM
i would rather sign alan instead of troy...the NFL salary cap is not that hard manipulate its being done by teams all of the time...

The NFL has profited enormously under the salary cap. All the teams make a profit. Franchise values have shot up. It's television ratings are high. The NFL is king among the professional sports leagues.

So what's wrong with a salary cap? Critics have their reasons. There are a lot of arguments that are often made. In the NFL teams can front load contracts with big bonuses. Those bonuses are still figured into the cap system, but they are spread out over the length of the contract.

Even the NFL players' union admits the league's cap is not rock hard.

"If you total up the actual dollars paid to players since the cap came in with the 1994 season, the total is $2 billion greater than the sum of all the salary caps," M.J. Duberstein, who is research director for the National Football League Players Association, told USA Today.

now how does that work...?

I will admit that it was the FO's fault for not locking up Alan for the rest of his career a couple of years ago before his value shot through the roof this offseason with bank-busting contracts for average O-linemen. They need to change the policy of not negotiating with a player until the last year of his current deal. I'm sorry I snapped earlier - I'm just upset at the situation.

19ward86
05-11-2007, 03:01 PM
troy polamalu will want a big...big....big....big...big contract after this season. he might or might not get it either. he'll be asking for probably a 5-6 million dollar a year contract. which might be too big for the steelers to pay.

fansince'76
05-11-2007, 03:02 PM
troy polamalu will want a big...big....big....big...big contract after this season. he might or might not get it either.

I'm also not so sure - I've completely lost faith in AJRII to competently negotiate.

coachspeak33
05-11-2007, 03:05 PM
So we should assume that us fans with no front office experience know more than a front office with years of experience dealing with a hard salary cap? It's not that they're cheap, it's that they aren't allowed to spend whatever amount of money they feel like spending...it's the current reality in today's NFL, sometimes you have to let older players go to keep your core intact. Who would you get rid of instead?

I always hear about who their GONNA sign....who they need to "save for next year"....from what I gathered in the audio of his interview, they told him he would get his cash with 1 yr remianing..."that is how its done here", alan said.....then they renig and to u he is the bad guy....

They signed two big time players to big deals....hampton & hiines....the list of names in just the lasst three seasons of guys they shipped out or cut is too long worth recounting....

and who do they sign????? Okobi, Carter, Wilson, Duce, Tuman, Kriewaldt, Naajeh, Clark.....WOW ...now that is a talented bunch....

there is a right way to do it and then there is this BS stuff they are currently doing.

atlsteelers
05-11-2007, 03:08 PM
no need to apologize, i think we are all upset by what happened today...i love the steelers but i am get tired of seeing all of these other teams keeping their core players and still getting out there and signing additional players. seatle lost hutchinson but they sign petterson and branch to huge deals...dallas waste its money on that bum form arizona but they paid him megabucks. the dolphins signed culpepper to a big deal last year and go out and get porter...the patroits get briggs and a bunch of other folks this year... i am not asking them to go out and sign the mega free agent those deals very seldom win superbowls but alan is one of our own...he has had laid it out for this franchise...he almost never misses a start..he switched positons a couple of seasons ago and still the nfl players voted him to the pro bowl... i am worried about all of the change around our franchise...cowher was all about money..porter may be slipping (but briggs is the same age as joey and the pats are excited about him)..and now alan..the cap was not an excuse when it came down to coach cowher and we all know the salary cap is manipualted by teams all of the time

coachspeak33
05-11-2007, 03:10 PM
I will admit that it was the FO's fault for not locking up Alan for the rest of his career a couple of years ago before his value shot through the roof this offseason with bank-busting contracts for average O-linemen. They need to change the policy of not negotiating with a player until the last year of his current deal. I'm sorry I snapped earlier - I'm just upset at the situation.

Agreed....let me put it another way....their system doesnt do a good job of retaining upper tier players....no we tend to specialize in guys lilke Jerame freaking Tuman or Ty Carter or Chucky Okobi....hell we all want him replaced before the job is his and the Rooneys have made his sorry a$$ a millionare too

Terrible decision making lately....especially not moving him on draft day....this is a guy they clearly dont have in their future plans.....the rooneys lately appear to always be wanting somethin for nothin

coachspeak33
05-11-2007, 03:12 PM
I'm also not so sure - I've completely lost faith in AJRII to competently negotiate.

agreed once again....this is a dark day...not just w/ faneca....but the mealy mouth precidence the FO has set

memphissteelergirl
05-11-2007, 03:13 PM
Faneca needs to go now, even though the team will have to bite the bullet. I see Faneca doing nothing at this point but trying to undermine everything Tomlin and the new staff will try to do. Alan, it's been real. AJR II, grow a brain and sign Troy ASAP!

:iagree:

coachspeak33
05-11-2007, 03:16 PM
no need to apologize, i think we are all upset by what happened today...i love the steelers but i am get tired of seeing all of these other teams keeping their core players and still getting out there and signing additional players. seatle lost hutchinson but they sign petterson and branch to huge deals...dallas waste its money on that bum form arizona but they paid him megabucks. the dolphins signed culpepper to a big deal last year and go out and get porter...the patroits get briggs and a bunch of other folks this year... i am not asking them to go out and sign the mega free agent those deals very seldom win superbowls but alan is one of our own...he has had laid it out for this franchise...he almost never misses a start..he switched positons a couple of seasons ago and still the nfl players voted him to the pro bowl... i am worried about all of the change around our franchise...cowher was all about money..porter may be slipping (but briggs is the same age as joey and the pats are excited about him)..and now alan..the cap was not an excuse when it came down to coach cowher and we all know the salary cap is manipualted by teams all of the time

well said.....

i think you meant adaleous thomas

Alan is what is good about this family oriented team that succeeds in large part because of amazing chemistry and togetherness....

rememeber the three road playoff wins...well ya better cause few of our current players do!!!!

atlsteelers
05-11-2007, 03:19 PM
AJRII - is still excited about that stupid mascot and all of that cash they saved when coach cowher left

atlsteelers
05-11-2007, 03:31 PM
yeah i did mean thomas - not brigs - although brigs does want his cash too, although he is trying to squeeze it from a franchise that is cheaper than the steelers - the bears

yinzer-inseattle
05-11-2007, 04:28 PM
Terrible decision making lately....especially not moving him on draft day....this is a guy they clearly dont have in their future plans.....the rooneys lately appear to always be wanting somethin for nothin

For the life of me I can't figure this out. The FO had to know that he was leaning this way. If they did, why not move him during the draft? Could they have asked for too much (holding out for first day picks) or did they feel that there was just not enough talent in the 07 draft? With the market playing into their hands on this one they should have been able to do a deal. I know we don't have all the details but this just does not make sense.

The best case scenario is to get a deal similar to what NE got for Branch and get a first day pick in 08. Not gonna hold my breath.

tony hipchest
05-11-2007, 04:40 PM
theres a reason the cowboys and patriots are the only teams to win 3 sb's in the sb era. its not cause their owners are brilliant or great guys.

1) they are willing to pay top dollar to the best coaches.
2) they are willing to move players for picks to re-load.

is there any suprise they are 2 of the favorites for next years superbowl AND the only 2 teams that have TWO 1st round picks next year? it doesnt take a genius to figure out what they did. they managed the cap, and they didnt waste draftpicks or sleepwalk through the 2nd day of a draft like the steelers did last year.

instead of trading our 4th and 6th round picks (even colbert said how valuable these mid round picks were before the draft) for a punter, we couldve just traded porter for the pick that landed sepulveda.

faneca couldve yielded us 2 picks that could land ben grubbs. instead we will line up against him twice a year as faneca walks.

ward will be the highest cap hit of any steeler and its gonna burn a hole in art II's ass knowing he isnt a top performer. the patriots faced a similar situation with their #1 wr and had the ball to turn him into a. thomas, r. moss and a 1st round pick.

were not gonna catch the top teams between the lines alone. we need to catch up in the front office. the salary cap is designed to prevent teams like the steelers from repeating and staying on top.

"you gotta know when to hold 'em, and know when to fold 'em". i think the steelers front office philosophy has evolved to an organization that wants it cake and to eat it too.

Preacher
05-11-2007, 04:57 PM
get a clue

Actually... Rbryan got a clue... and posted correctly.

Faneca sealed his fate when he started acting like he was bigger then the team, bigger then the owners.

It is not HIS choice who is coach... and if he doesn't like being coddled... go find a team like the Raiders that coddles problem children.

I am not sure where Faneca developed the attitude... but I am dang sure that attitude won't stay in Pittsburgh.

15 years from now, Pittsburgh will still by vying for SB's... and Faneca will be sitting at home watching football like most other players in the league today.

The franchise is bigger then you Faneca.

MACH1
05-11-2007, 05:09 PM
The team could still make a long-term offer to Faneca before the season starts in September, but he all but said he will not re-sign even if the Steelers offer an unexpectedly large contract.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2867828

I say try and get something for him now before he can walk away. Obviously he's not going to be here one way or another.

What if the season doesn't start out so well(hopefully thats not the case), how long will it take for the cancer to spread.

tony hipchest
05-11-2007, 05:12 PM
15 years from now, Pittsburgh will still by vying for SB's....

we hope. the steelers have obviously over valued a commodity by refusing to trade him, yet now they wont pay for said value. if they only view him as a $5 mil/ year player than they definitely shouldnt have a problem trading him for said value (a third round pick :hunch:). if they value him as 2 1st round picks than they should be willing to pay him like it.

either way, ownership nor faneca are doing what is best for the team. that is what sucks. what was best for the team was trading him when his value hit its peak 2 months ago when offensive linemen were being bought like shares of stock in Cisco.

this is gonna be real fun when simmons, starks, faneca, and polamalu are all free agents and marvel smith enters the final year of his contract (the year that the steelers typically extend a player if they intend on keeping them).

maybe ward will trim his $9 mil cap hit, to help replace his buddies the front office has pissed into the wind. :rolleyes:

Indy_Steelers
05-11-2007, 05:17 PM
He is old he played like crap last season & he is going to be a cancer to the team.
I can not think of a team that would pay him what he wants.
He should put his money where his mouth is, if he feels the way he says he should sit out this year. He is worried about being fined for not coming to spring practice, with the multi millions that he makes I do not think he would miss the money. Put up or shut up.
Hey Feneca, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!
GET HIM OUT OF HERE!!!!:buttkick:

tony hipchest
05-11-2007, 05:21 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2867828

I say try and get something for him now before he can walk away. Obviously he's not going to be here one way or another.

What if the season doesn't start out so well(hopefully thats not the case), how long will it take for the cancer to spread.this is what sucks. the cap could go up from $109 mil to $116 mil next season. something could be worked out if we trimmed some fat. but like faneca said, what the steelers have offered doesnt even put him in the top 10 highest paid o-linemen. and maybe with his age he doesnt deserve it NOW. if that is the case, the steelers shouldve either had the forsight to extend him a year or 2 ago, or move him for picks before this years draft.

the problem is, the steelers sort of mortgaged their future for that sb won in 05 and its almost a miracle that was accomplished. now we are paying the price (or can afford to keep paying the price) for that miraculous run.

MACH1
05-11-2007, 05:25 PM
I just hope they dont piss around and lose troy this way and some of the others.

Preacher
05-11-2007, 05:30 PM
I just hope they dont piss around and lose troy this way and some of the others.

And that my friend... is my fear.

Keep Troy, keep Ben..

We can build on them...

MasterOfPuppets
05-11-2007, 05:38 PM
its a good thing we addressed these future line problems with this draft...:shake01: maybe that punter can play guard too...:thumbsup:

abowens
05-11-2007, 05:39 PM
There is a reason that none of us posting are in an NFL front office. Just be thankful we don't have Matt Millen running things.

There is a reason that the Steelers Franchise and the Rooney's are constantly praised as one of the best franchises in the league. No one is perfect. But I have a feeling they know what they are doing.

Faneca said he had talked to both Rooney's, Colbert and anyone in the FO about his contract. I think the FO has a better idea of what the real story is than we do.

Faneca may really feel the way he does. But he may just be playing politics too. He knows this is a business and the politcial side in every business is not always pretty. But at the end of his career - no matter what happens - he'll still look at that ring and feel pretty good about his years with the Steelers.

Based on all the pre-draft talk, the Steelers would have taken Arizona's second this year and their second next year. And Arizona has the money. So what stopped that? Maybe Grimm and Whis didn't think he was worth that! Maybe Faneca knows that and is just taking one last stab at a better offer.

I think, either way, the Rooney's aren't going to budge. They got their sites on Troy and the future.

If you haven't seen Troy's remarks about his contract negotiations you need to go to steelcityinsider.com. Troy is handling his contract discussions appropriately.

So Faneca's gone after next year. Maybe 1/2 a Faneca is better than what was availalbe to replace him.

But I don't care what Faneca says, if his heart's not it in his performance will not be the same. Just look at Cowher last year. When you get leaving on the mind it just doesn't work.

TackleMeBen
05-11-2007, 05:48 PM
There is a reason that none of us posting are in an NFL front office. Just be thankful we don't have Matt Millen running things.

You can say that again.

steveco52
05-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Poor, spoiled, multi-millionaire Alan Faneca....just get over it, shut up and play. I'm sick and tired of cry baby millionaires, and have no sympathy!

steelafan
05-11-2007, 05:54 PM
THE ONLY THING FANECA DID WRONG WAS PUT HIS HEART AND SOUL INTO AN ORGANIZATION THAT DIDN'T (AND MAYBE COULDN'T) CARE BACK. HE WAS NOT JUST A STEELERS PLAYER, BUT ALSO A STEELERS FAN. NOW HE IS JUST A STEELERS PLAYER. IF THE STEELERS TOLD ME TO RISK MY NECK THIS YEAR AND THEN GET LOST , I'D STOP BEING A FAN TOO.

MasterOfPuppets
05-11-2007, 05:54 PM

There is a reason that the Steelers Franchise and the Rooney's are constantly praised as one of the best franchises in the league. No one is perfect. But I have a feeling they know what they are doing.

Faneca said he had talked to both Rooney's, Colbert and anyone in the FO about his contract. I think the FO has a better idea of what the real story is than we do.

Faneca may really feel the way he does. But he may just be playing politics too. He knows this is a business and the politcial side in every business is not always pretty. But at the end of his career - no matter what happens - he'll still look at that ring and feel pretty good about his years with the Steelers.

Based on all the pre-draft talk, the Steelers would have taken Arizona's second this year and their second next year. And Arizona has the money. So what stopped that? Maybe Grimm and Whis didn't think he was worth that! Maybe Faneca knows that and is just taking one last stab at a better offer.

I think, either way, the Rooney's aren't going to budge. They got their sites on Troy and the future.

If you haven't seen Troy's remarks about his contract negotiations you need to go to steelcityinsider.com. Troy is handling his contract discussions appropriately.

So Faneca's gone after next year. Maybe 1/2 a Faneca is better than what was availalbe to replace him.

But I don't care what Faneca says, if his heart's not it in his performance will not be the same. Just look at Cowher last year. When you get leaving on the mind it just doesn't work.

There is a reason that the Steelers Franchise and the Rooney's are constantly praised as one of the best franchises in the league. No one is perfect. But I have a feeling they know what they are doing.[/B]

[B]But I don't care what Faneca says, if his heart's not it in his performance will not be the same. Just look at Cowher last year. When you get leaving on the mind it just doesn't work

:coffee:

rbryan
05-11-2007, 06:00 PM
THE ONLY THING FANECA DID WRONG WAS PUT HIS HEART AND SOUL INTO AN ORGANIZATION THAT DIDN'T (AND MAYBE COULDN'T) CARE BACK. HE WAS NOT JUST A STEELERS PLAYER, BUT ALSO A STEELERS FAN. NOW HE IS JUST A STEELERS PLAYER. IF THE STEELERS TOLD ME TO RISK MY NECK THIS YEAR AND THEN GET LOST , I'D STOP BEING A FAN TOO.

Since when does getting paid 3.5Million dollars a year not warrant having to "risk your neck" ?? How much you think some PFC in iraq is getting paid.

Faneca was a good player, but he stopped being anything even closely resembling the heart and sole today.

Petesburgh66
05-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Faneca did not nothing last year to enhance his position to be paid in the top 10 for OL. So should the Steelers be expected to shell out big money for someone who appears to be on decline and screw up the cap down the road. Please. Alan, get a clue.

MasterOfPuppets
05-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Faneca did not nothing last year to enhance his position to be paid in the top 10 for OL. So should the Steelers be expected to shell out big money for someone who appears to be on decline and screw up the cap down the road. Please. Alan, get a clue.
would you be saying the same thing if it were ben?

rbryan
05-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Bens not on the wrong side of 30

Atlanta Dan
05-11-2007, 06:11 PM
And that my friend... is my fear.

Keep Troy, keep Ben..

We can build on them...

After the events of the last year, in which the HC, emotional leader of the defense, and rock of the offense all have experienced contract problems, Troy is shaping up as a definite test of the AJR II regime.

Cowher, Porter, and Faneca all had contract issues that could be explained separately and even together. But if the rationale underlying the Porter & Faneca signings is that $$$ needed to be banked to sign Troy then Troy needs to be signed.

Ed.B. of the P-G (in my view one of the few non-lapdogs that cover the team) needs to push AJR II and Colbert on whether Faneca really has not been offered top 10 guard $$$ and needs to find Troy's agent to see what is going on with his client's situation.

steelafan
05-11-2007, 06:13 PM
Since when does getting paid 3.5Million dollars a year not warrant having to "risk your neck" ?? How much you think some PFC in iraq is getting paid.

Faneca was a good player, but he stopped being anything even closely resembling the heart and sole today.

I DIDN'T SAY FANECA WAS THE STEELER'S HEART AND SOUL. I SAID HE GAVE HIS (HEART AND SOUL) TO DO HIS BEST FOR THE STEELERS.

THE MEN AND WOMEN IN IRAQ ARE RISKING THEIR LIVES FOR FREEDOM. THAT IS A MUCH HIGHER BENEFIT THAN $$$. I MIGHT BE WILLING TO RISK MY NECK FOR SOMETHING THAT IMPORTANT. BUT FANECA'S SITUATION IS A WHOLE DIFFERENT ONE. FOOTBALL IS A CAREER, NOT A COUNTRY'S FREEDOM.

X-Terminator
05-11-2007, 06:14 PM
I don't want any malcontent, whiny, self-serving crybabies on MY favorite football team.

Give him a binkie and a rattle, and then ship his ass out of town.

fansince'76
05-11-2007, 06:21 PM
I don't want any malcontent, whiny, self-serving crybabies on MY favorite football team.

Agreed - just wish they would have done it 2-3 months ago, when they actually could have gotten some draft picks for their trouble....

MasterOfPuppets
05-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Bens not on the wrong side of 30

how old was hartings?

paw-n-maul-u
05-11-2007, 06:28 PM
theres a reason the cowboys and patriots are the only teams to win 3 sb's in the sb era. its not cause their owners are brilliant or great guys.

1) they are willing to pay top dollar to the best coaches.
2) they are willing to move players for picks to re-load.

is there any suprise they are 2 of the favorites for next years superbowl AND the only 2 teams that have TWO 1st round picks next year? it doesnt take a genius to figure out what they did. they managed the cap, and they didnt waste draftpicks or sleepwalk through the 2nd day of a draft like the steelers did last year.

I'll roll with you on the Patriots front office having things down (Even though they happened to be blessed with a late-round gem by the name of Tom Brady, future HOF QB and argueably the best in the league). But the cowboys, honestly, since Emmitt, Aikman, and Irvin have gone, jerry jones has been through HOF coach after another, and what does he have to show for it? two playoff appearances in ten years, both of which were first round wild card losses.

instead of trading our 4th and 6th round picks (even colbert said how valuable these mid round picks were before the draft) for a punter, we couldve just traded porter for the pick that landed sepulveda.

I don't think you get it. The steelers went into this year and have four superstars that need big paydays- Porter, Troy, Ben, and Faneca.

The steelers chose Ben and Troy. Plain and simple. Younger, more important at their respective positions, and the FUTURE OF THE FRANCHISE.

I'm sorry, but i just don't want to play retard with you on this one because it makes perfect sense what the steelers did.

So they didn't go after Faneca's replacement in the draft, instead, they loaded back up on defense (isnt there some cliche saying that goes something like "defense wins championships").

I also think you are underestimating the value of the TE from Minn. and G. from Rutgers (?), doing a little reading it looks like we got one of the best overall, and DEFINITLY best blocking TE in the draft, and a guy that converted to G and dominated in his first year, lottttttts of upside. The steelers didn't completely ignore the O-line.

I'm sure if there was an appealing offer for faneca that the rooneys would not simply show someone the bird while stuffing their face with their "cake".

faneca couldve yielded us 2 picks that could land ben grubbs. instead we will line up against him twice a year as faneca walks.

ward will be the highest cap hit of any steeler and its gonna burn a hole in art II's ass knowing he isnt a top performer. the patriots faced a similar situation with their #1 wr and had the ball to turn him into a. thomas, r. moss and a 1st round pick.

were not gonna catch the top teams between the lines alone. we need to catch up in the front office. the salary cap is designed to prevent teams like the steelers from repeating and staying on top.

"you gotta know when to hold 'em, and know when to fold 'em". i think the steelers front office philosophy has evolved to an organization that wants it cake and to eat it too.

you are looking at some pretty extreme cases here as well.

tony hipchest
05-11-2007, 06:32 PM
Agreed - just wish they would have done it 2-3 months ago, when they actually could have gotten some draft picks for their trouble....im not sure ArtII is thinking that far into the future, or else he wouldnt be waiting for rosenhaus and d. snyder dictate the market value for polamalu.

who knows, maybe hes just gonna wait it out to see if polamalu has a concussion filled season, to get him off the hook for inking a mega deal for a safety. polamalu at the franchise tag of average of the top 5 players is a bargain, and about the best deat any team can hope for when applying the tag. of course it doesnt lead to happy players but, that doesnt seem to be a main concern under the new regime.

a deep line has been drawn in the sand, and big ben better start thinking about making a few pro bowls or he will be seeking greener pastures too.

tony hipchest
05-11-2007, 06:51 PM
I don't think you get it. The steelers went into this year and have four superstars that need big paydays- Porter, Troy, Ben, and Faneca.

The steelers chose Ben and Troy. Plain and simple. Younger, more important at their respective positions, and the FUTURE OF THE FRANCHISE.

I'm sorry, but i just don't want to play retard with you on this one because it makes perfect sense what the steelers did.

So they didn't go after Faneca's replacement in the draft, instead, they loaded back up on defense (isnt there some cliche saying that goes something like "defense wins championships").

I also think you are underestimating the value of the TE from Minn. and G. from Rutgers (?), doing a little reading it looks like we got one of the best overall, and DEFINITLY best blocking TE in the draft, and a guy that converted to G and dominated in his first year, lottttttts of upside. The steelers didn't completely ignore the O-line.

I'm sure if there was an appealing offer for faneca that the rooneys would not simply show someone the bird while stuffing their face with their "cake".

you are looking at some pretty extreme cases here as well."doing a little reading" (which i have done plenty of) will show EXACTLY how i feel about the spaeth and sepulveda picks. just see the te and punter threads on this board.

it may be you who dont get it. the steelers let go of their 4th and 6th round picks PLUS porter. they couldve traded porter for a 4th and still had a 4th and their 6th. thats not to complicated. making trades is a very simple concept. it goes back to trading marbles or baseball cards on the playground.

im well aware of our picks and all their potential upside. im also aware of the steelers philosophy shown after our sb win that its ok to piss away picks, and players with upside.

in todays nfl you dont succeed an win multiple sb's on 1 year starter projects from rutgers. you succeed with multiple high round draft picks and cap space.

youre not teaching me anything new i already havent already covered on this board. a little more reding of my posts will show i have already touched on your subjects numerous times.

choosing between faneca, porter, ben, and troy???? what a novel idea. you mean we cant afford them all????? :coffee:

polamalufan43
05-11-2007, 07:07 PM
Wow... he's handling this maturely... and as for the hand shaking thing, he might want to get that checked.

If he wants to start assuming things without concrete proof then go ahead and be negative. I was giving him another chance and he just blew it with that one. If he wants to change his tude(again) tell him he has alot of work to do to repair this one. Gosh....

~Polamlaufan43:tt02:

Steelerstrength
05-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Let me start by saying that Faneca has dealt himself a death-blow with his recent comments.

As an employee, in the business of football, he should definitely be asking to be paid top-ten money. Based on performance, he deserves top-ten money. Emotions aside, he should have been paid what he is worth. Now that is business. If you don't pay for the talent, you lose them. It is that simple.

Don't get caught up in your own value of money. He is a low paid employee for the position he performs at the highest level. OL can perform at that level for many years. He does deserve the money, but if the FO can't afford it, then the honesty would not have allowed Faneca's reaction.

The FO has allowed this situation to get out of hand by their inability to proactively seek a resolution both contractually, and for appearance/reputation/integrity. The affect on morale and future contract negotiations is now adversely tainted. This situation is by far worse for the FO than it is for Faneca.

Again, Faneca must be shipped out for his recent comments and consequential attitude that accompanies them. But, the FO has created something that is in dire need of a new perspective for the players and the fans.

That's my two cents.

tony hipchest
05-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Let me start by saying that Faneca has dealt himself a death-blow with his recent comments.

As an employee, in the business of football, he should definitely be asking to be paid top-ten money. Based on performance, he deserves top-ten money. Emotions aside, he should have been paid what he is worth. Now that is business. If you don't pay for the talent, you lose them. It is that simple.

Don't get caught up in your own value of money. He is a low paid employee for the position he performs at the highest level. OL can perform at that level for many years. He does deserve the money, but if the FO can't afford it, then the honesty would not have allowed Faneca's reaction.

The FO has allowed this situation to get out of hand by their inability to proactively seek a resolution both contractually, and for appearance/reputation/integrity. The affect on morale and future contract negotiations is now adversely tainted. This situation is by far worse for the FO than it is for Faneca.

Again, Faneca must be shipped out for his recent comments and consequential attitude that accompanies them. But, the FO has created something that is in dire need of a new perspective for the players and the fans.

That's my two cents.well, id say you 2 cents is worth a :dollar:

TackleMeBen
05-11-2007, 07:58 PM

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/beautifulgirl427/pG01-3570291dt.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/beautifulgirl427/pTRU1-3049519dt.jpg

Man_Of_Steel
05-11-2007, 08:05 PM

I agree 100%! I don't blame Faneca one bit. They didn't offer him a top 10 OLineman salary? What the helll??? I'd be jacked too. What I don't understand is why they didn't trade him during the draft. I'm sure there is a team out there that will give him what he deserves.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
05-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Here's the "uncut" video of his tantrum...ahh er I mean interview. :crying01:

http://kdka.com/video/?id=27622@kdka.dayport.com

Smashmouth225
05-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Faneca is a crybaby. He is a helluva football player and one of the best at his position in the game but he is what he is. I'm not going to miss him personally.

Man_Of_Steel
05-11-2007, 08:31 PM
Faneca is a crybaby. He is a helluva football player and one of the best at his position in the game but he is what he is. I'm not going to miss him personally.

You don't know him personally, how can you even say that. He has been a class act ever since he's stepped foot in Pittsburgh. He has done a ton of charity work and helped more people than YOU could ever dream. This is all on the Steelers, they should have done this last or even the year before. He is considered the best in the game and apparantly the steelers offer was a joke.

I'am on Fanecas side, how can you treat a loyal player like this is beyond me, he has done everything asked of him.

rbryan
05-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Can Faneca (and all you still feelin sorry for him) really not understand that running his mouth about Tomlin over Grimm could be why he isn't getting a decent offer? WTF is wrong with this guy? He needs a reality check and he's about to get it. See ya Al. Nice knowing ya. You coulda kept your bad attitude to yourself and retired as one of the all time Steeler greats. But instead, I'll wave goodbye as you sail off into obscurity.

NV STEELERS 723
05-11-2007, 08:51 PM
I have been saying this for a long time in here....signing Troy is a must...he's younger than Alan and one of the best in the NFL...

Then the STEELERS are gonna have to anti up to keep Ben too...

Alan leaving is not something that keeps me awake at night.

X-Terminator
05-11-2007, 08:53 PM
You don't know him personally, how can you even say that. He has been a class act ever since he's stepped foot in Pittsburgh. He has done a ton of charity work and helped more people than YOU could ever dream. This is all on the Steelers, they should have done this last or even the year before. He is considered the best in the game and apparantly the steelers offer was a joke.

I'am on Fanecas side, how can you treat a loyal player like this is beyond me, he has done everything asked of him.

Who cares if he's done tons of charity work? That makes him better than anyone else? Millions of people every day do tons of charity work and don't whine about their contracts.

He's done nothing but whine ever since Mike Tomlin was hired. This tirade was just the icing on the cake.

He's a crybaby, and he needs to be gone. Now. I have little patience or tolerance for whiners and crybabies.

Smashmouth225
05-11-2007, 08:57 PM

He is still under contract. Honor your contract. This dude whines about everything. As far as community service and stuff thats on him i aint got nothing to do with that. He got broke off nice when his rookie contract played out. Long as he handles his business on the field thats all that matters. He is going to get broke off again after this year.

fansince'76
05-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Only the washington Redskins pay 9 year and higher vets top ten salaries. It would be a bone headed move to pay someone faneca's age big long term money.

Bingo. Who knows, maybe Faneca will be another Bruce Matthews and stick around for 20 seasons and still be playing at an All-Pro level at that time, but the odds are against it.

Smashmouth225
05-11-2007, 09:00 PM
:jammin: Who cares if he's done tons of charity work? That makes him better than anyone else? Millions of people every day do tons of charity work and don't whine about their contracts.

He's done nothing but whine ever since Mike Tomlin was hired. This tirade was just the icing on the cake.

He's a crybaby, and he needs to be gone. Now. I have little patience or tolerance for whiners and crybabies.:jammin: :cheers:

coachspeak33
05-11-2007, 09:56 PM

Faneca sealed his fate when he started acting like he was bigger then the team, bigger then the owners.

It is not HIS choice who is coach... and if he doesn't like being coddled... go find a team like the Raiders that coddles problem children.

I am not sure where Faneca developed the attitude... but I am dang sure that attitude won't stay in Pittsburgh.

15 years from now, Pittsburgh will still by vying for SB's... and Faneca will be sitting at home watching football like most other players in the league today.

Your missing the point....its not about how great he is....its the pisspoor MISmanagement by the rooneys of what is a very delicate situation.....how bout this:
-take our Offensive captain...a pro bowler...a guy who plays his position better than any other player plays his....and lets just put his ass through the ringer...cause in typical rooney fashion they decided to do absolutely nothing!!!!
Okay Art II, you decide he isnt part of the future....fine....your in charge....then move him and dont totally destroy your lockeroom and team chemistry cuase your too lazy or shortsighted to do anything else.

Its not about Alan at all....your right he isnt in charge....all i ask is that thosee who are in charge actually do something proactive....instead of doing nothing at all.

tony hipchest said it best the rooneys want to have their cake and eat it too

MISMANAGEMENT is not good when your only job is to manage....

OR the rooneys can spend their time worrying about F'ing casinos...

you seem like a bright poster, preacher, you find no fault w/ the rooneys at all???

coachspeak33
05-11-2007, 09:58 PM

well thought out comment by the way....most 9 yr vets will be sitting at hime in 15 yrs....what the hell does that have to edo with anything

fansince'76
05-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Your missing the point....its not about how great he is....its the pisspoor MISmanagement by the rooneys of what is a very delicate situation.....how bout this:
-take our Offensive captain...a pro bowler...a guy who plays his position better than any other player plays his....and lets just put his ass through the ringer...cause in typical rooney fashion they decided to do absolutely nothing!!!!
Okay Art II, you decide he isnt part of the future....fine....your in charge....then move him and dont totally destroy your lockeroom and team chemistry cuase your too lazy or shortsighted to do anything else.

Its not about Alan at all....your right he isnt in charge....all i ask is that thosee who are in charge actually do something proactive....instead of doing nothing at all.

tony hipchest said it best the rooneys want to have their cake and eat it too

MISMANAGEMENT is not good when your only job is to manage....

OR the rooneys can spend their time worrying about F'ing casinos...

you seem like a bright poster, preacher, you find no fault w/ the rooneys at all???

I find it interesting that Faneca stated himself in the interview on KDKA that he asked for a trade in February - wasn't that about the same time he started bellyaching over the Tomlin hire? While I agree that the Rooneys do need to alter their policy of not renegotiating with players until the last year of their current deals, I find a hell of alot more fault with Faneca acting like a spoiled 5-year-old in this situation than I do the Rooneys, sorry.

GBMelBlount
05-11-2007, 10:19 PM
I find it interesting that Faneca stated himself in the interview on KDKA that he asked for a trade in February - wasn't that about the same time he started bellyaching over the Tomlin hire? While I agree that the Rooneys do need to alter their policy of not renegotiating with players until the last year of their current deals, I find a hell of alot more fault with Faneca acting like a spoiled 5-year-old in this situation than I do the Rooneys, sorry.

76, As you know, I think it is all about the money. Faneca will be way underpaid this year.....Good for us!!! He wants to cash in his major payday. He would rather do it now than wait a year... possibly get hurt, etc. But as you know, he will probably play his ass off this year in hopes of a great payday next year. P.S. I haven't read this HUGE thread. If I am repeating things said 20 X before, i apologize.

Man_Of_Steel
05-11-2007, 10:21 PM
And I'm not sure the contract Aaron Smith got didn't add fuel to Allens fire either. Smith is 2years older than he is and he got a monster contract. Plus Faneca mentioned letting Porter go after all he has done for this team. These guys are leaders and this is how they treat them?

fansince'76
05-11-2007, 10:21 PM
76, As you know, I think it is all about the money. Faneca will be way underpaid this year.....Good for us!!! He wants to cash in his major payday. He would rather do it now than wait a year... possibly get hurt, etc. But as you know, he will probably play his ass off this year in hopes of a great payday next year. P.S. I haven't read this HUGE thread. If I am repeating things said 20 X before, i apologize.

I'd like to know why money didn't seem to be an issue with him before the Tomlin hire.

coachspeak33
05-11-2007, 10:23 PM
losing alan faneca....in order to keep some of the back up/role players....not smart at all

fansince'76
05-11-2007, 10:23 PM
And I'm not sure the contract Aaron Smith got didn't add fuel to Allens fire either. Smith is 2years older than he is and he got a monster contract. Plus Faneca mentioned letting Porter go after all he has done for this team. These guys are leaders and this is how they treat them?

You would have preferred an extended holdout by Porter? Because that's what would have happened. The fact of the matter is that Porter made it well known for a good 2 years that he was not happy with his contract, and the only reason he didn't hold out was due to his relationship with Cowher.

Man_Of_Steel
05-11-2007, 10:27 PM
You would have preferred an extended holdout by Porter? Because that's what would have happened. The fact of the matter is that Porter made it well known for a good 2 years that he was not happy with his contract, and the only reason he didn't hold out was due to his relationship with Cowher.

Yeah, and look where NOT holding out got Porter, the ax. Faneca wants security, I don't blame him. What if he gets hurt, then what? I don't blame Faneca for blowing up.

fansince'76
05-11-2007, 10:28 PM
losing alan faneca....in order to keep some of the back up/role players....not smart at all

Losing Alan Faneca to keep Troy and Ben around, who are the only 2 players IMO that are truly indispensible to this team - very smart move. No way would we be able to keep them if we gave Faneca the $60 mil long term deal he obviously wants.

fansince'76
05-11-2007, 10:30 PM
Yeah, and look where NOT holding out got Porter, the ax. Faneca wants security, I don't blame him. What if he gets hurt, then what? I don't blame Faneca for blowing up.

If Faneca can't manage his money well enough to be set for the rest of his life after being paid millions, that's his problem, not the Rooneys'. It's not like the '70s where most players had to hold offseason jobs to keep bread on the table.

GBMelBlount
05-11-2007, 10:34 PM
I'd like to know why money didn't seem to be an issue with him before the Tomlin hire.

Maybe because he thought Cowher would pay him well, like he paid Heinz. I don't know 76. These are just my thoughts/opinions. Some deals they blow their wad (is it Marvel 6.8 against the cap?) who knows.

coachspeak33
05-11-2007, 10:37 PM
i would rather have alan faneca...than OVERPAY to keep aaron smith....

but then again if i were the owner i wouldnt go out and hire some young guy who has ZERO coaching experience cuz I wouldnt want to hire some YES man.....

but the rooneys love Tomlin.......probably cause he is good and cheap

coachspeak33
05-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Losing Alan Faneca to keep Troy and Ben around, who are the only 2 players IMO that are truly indispensible to this team - very smart move. No way would we be able to keep them if we gave Faneca the $60 mil long term deal he obviously wants.

thats great and all....but let me know when they do indeed sign them.....Troy doesnt speak as if he just has to run upstairs and sign a contract waiting for him....

I stopped by the local Goodwill store today....saw Art II bartering with some 16 yr old check out girl over the price of some used underwear........I yawned and thought to myself....I am not surprised

Preacher
05-11-2007, 10:40 PM
well thought out comment by the way....most 9 yr vets will be sitting at hime in 15 yrs....what the hell does that have to edo with anything

The answer is in the context. CONTEXT...

It has EVERYTHING to do with the fact that Faneca does NOT dictate to a 75 year old club who the head coach is to be. He is just a blip on the radar over the life of the Steeler franchise. It would do him well to remember that.

And to answer your previous post,

The Rooney's come to the table with the idea that if they have you signed to a contract, then man up and play out the contract. Then they will deal with you again. No, I don't find fault in that. When you look around the league at all the teams, and all the problems, I really can't find fault with the way the Rooney's are managing. Would I have made some changes? Yep. But since I don't know the long-term plans... I can't really say anything else. Only in a year or two will we really be able to look back at this off-season and judge.

However, Here is an interesting game...

Try thinking of a Steeler player that went to another team, and continued at the level they were at when playing in Pittsburgh. Woodsen first comes to my mind, but the Steelers didn't sign him because they wanted him to move to Safety and he wanted to still try and play CB. However, just a couple years later, he moved to Safety. So they were right with him..

I trust thier judgement. that is all.

fansince'76
05-11-2007, 10:41 PM
....but then again if i were the owner i wouldnt go out and hire some young guy who has ZERO coaching experience....

So you would have passed on Cowher and Noll, because both were also quite young and had zilch for HC experience when they came on board? The Rooneys' track record of hiring HCs speaks for itself, IMO. Sure, let's pull a Snyder and hire another Spurrier and make him the highest paid coach in the NFL....

OneForTheToe
05-11-2007, 10:51 PM
I agree with what tony hipchest said earleir in this thread: that the Steelers are planning on using the franchise tag on Troy. The steelers don't use it often but, finacially it makes sense. It may not be the best negotiating tactic, but at least we would have Troy for sure for two more years. Hopfully, Troy will be convinced that signing with the Steelers is what he wants to do, and we won't see the franchise tag used. My biggest worry about Troy has always been a feeling that he might want to return to the west coast. Combine going to west coast and getting more money to boot, and I'm worried. No way the Steelers use franchise tag on Ben.

We will see.

WWIIOwheelz
05-11-2007, 10:51 PM
They should part ways with Faneca sooner than later. He is already a cancer in a new environment. His views are crystal clear, and they do not jibe with functionality. If we can get something for him, great. If we can minimize our losses, good. Either way, he has no place in the locker room of a TEAM.

I'm disappointed in him, to say the least, and his Tony Soprano imitation/persona he seems to have adopted (like Russ Grimm) is laughable. Hey Alan.... you are from Louisiana. Nice voice acting, though! You should ...... ehhhhh...... I dunno...... eeehhhh.....maybe ......ehhhhhh... look into ...... ehhhhhh ....... opportunities? Eehhhhhhhh

Pfft

coachspeak33
05-11-2007, 10:52 PM
So you would have passed on Cowher and Noll, because both were also quite young and had zilch for HC experience when they came on board? The Rooneys' track record of hiring HCs speaks for itself, IMO.

Okay lets talk track record.....
how about being constant underacheivers in the playoffs, cept for 05, for the last 15 yrs....
how bout making brutal personel decisions for the last decade....
resigned Kordell to BIG contract....signed Tommy to BIG contract....brought in a worthlessw Duce...they consistently watch their own homegrown talent leave and get nothing in return...while the teams they are competing with are getting at least some value in return...they nickel-dimed their way to ensure that every stiff role player like Okobi or Logan or Kriewaldt has a contract and roster spot.....All of said players and players like them are great except they all have one thing in common....THEY ARE CHEAP BARGAIN BIN PLAYERS....They feed you BS that they just LOVE faneca....then they spend their few FA dollars on Mahan....and resign a DE who is older than faneca....and by the way Smith doesnt play his position nearly as well as faneca

You know I respect your opinion 76....so it s nothing personal....this is just an embarassing situation....really embarassing....this is not how you treat people-at least that is what the rooneys have always said publicly....while privately they apparently have little vision for the future....other than the typical penny pinching

coachspeak33
05-11-2007, 10:59 PM
The answer is in the context. CONTEXT...

It has EVERYTHING to do with the fact that Faneca does NOT dictate to a 75 year old club who the head coach is to be. He is just a blip on the radar over the life of the Steeler franchise. It would do him well to remember that.

And to answer your previous post,

The Rooney's come to the table with the idea that if they have you signed to a contract, then man up and play out the contract. Then they will deal with you again. No, I don't find fault in that. When you look around the league at all the teams, and all the problems, I really can't find fault with the way the Rooney's are managing. Would I have made some changes? Yep. But since I don't know the long-term plans... I can't really say anything else. Only in a year or two will we really be able to look back at this off-season and judge.

However, Here is an interesting game...

Try thinking of a Steeler player that went to another team, and continued at the level they were at when playing in Pittsburgh. Woodsen first comes to my mind, but the Steelers didn't sign him because they wanted him to move to Safety and he wanted to still try and play CB. However, just a couple years later, he moved to Safety. So they were right with him..

I trust thier judgement. that is all.

Did you listen to the entire interview....he said that they told him that he would get his deal with 1 year left on his contractt.....I dont think he is lying cuz that is right around the time he started mouthin off a bit....he trusted them....they lied.....and THAT is embarassing......and this doesnt help Tomlin at all....ART II IS BEING AN ASS

Preacher
05-11-2007, 11:00 PM
how about being constant underacheivers in the playoffs, cept for 05, for the last 15 yrs....
resigned Kordell to BIG contract....signed Tommy to BIG contract....brought in a worthlessw Duce...they consistently watch their own homegrown talent leave and get nothing in return...while the teams they are competing with are getting at least some value in return...they nickel-dimed their way to ensure that every stiff role player like Okobi or Logan or Kriewaldt has a contract and roster spot.....All of said players and players like them are great except they all have one thing in common....THEY ARE CHEAP BARGAIN BIN PLAYERS....They feed you BS that they just LOVE faneca....then they spend their few FA dollars on Mahan....and resign a DE who is older than faneca....and by the way Smith doesnt play his position nearly as well as faneca

You know I respect your opinion 76....so it s nothing personal....this is just an embarassing situation....really embarassing....this is not how you treat people-at least that is what the rooneys have always said publicly....while privately they apparently have little vision for the future....other than the typical penny pinching

Okay... flip the scenario...

Tell me another team that has been CONSTANTLY vying for the postseason since 1992? The answer is that there is none. I posit the reason is because we nickel and dime.. paying decent money to decent players at almost EVERY POSITION.. instead of paying GREAT money to a few players. Faneca has turned into a great player... so he will disappear, because the Rooney way is to spread the money to all positions. Personally, I prefer that way.

coachspeak33
05-11-2007, 11:02 PM
and your right preacher....he is still under contract....which means we can trade him, cut him, sit him.....we can do whatever with him....he is steelers property....why not move that asset and get something in return before this shit hits the fan and serves as a major distraction and shows the younger players what lies ahead....

If i had a car that was mine...it was paid off....i could do whatever i wanted with it....then i make the decision that i will never drive that car again for whatever reason....i would just give the car away for nothin...would you?

fansince'76
05-11-2007, 11:04 PM

10 playoff appearances in the last 15 years - more than any other team in the league. The underachieving in the playoffs was primarily due to subpar QB play - and yes, that is partially the FOs fault, with some of the blame also directed at Cowher. I seem to recall a lengthy discussion with you on another thread about franchise QBs and how rare they are, so I won't rehash it. I also respect your opinions, coach, so also nothing personal, but do you think Faneca has handled this professionally? As a side note, I fear for the future of this team when Dan passes on, because I think his son is a snake in the grass and is the proverbial apple that fell very far from the tree. Up until this offseason, it seems to me that Kraft, who could buy and sell the Rooneys with ease, was a far bigger penny pincher than the Rooneys ever thought of being. Fact is, they lucked out with Brady - it happens.

coachspeak33
05-11-2007, 11:06 PM
Okay... flip the scenario...

Tell me another team that has been CONSTANTLY vying for the postseason since 1992? The answer is that there is none. I posit the reason is because we nickel and dime.. paying decent money to decent players at almost EVERY POSITION.. instead of paying GREAT money to a few players. Faneca has turned into a great player... so he will disappear, because the Rooney way is to spread the money to all positions. Personally, I prefer that way.

Thats fair...but for me...SB's not playoffs is the goal....and the last decade and a half has proven that SB's dont just fall in your lap by waiting your turn....proactive business decisions by the front office are a must to win SB's plural....just look up in Boston....their way works far better than the Rooney's blue light special mentality

coachspeak33
05-11-2007, 11:09 PM
10 playoff appearances in the last 15 years - more than any other team in the league. The underachieving in the playoffs was primarily due to subpar QB play - and yes, that is partially the FOs fault, with some of the blame also directed at Cowher. I seem to recall a lengthy discussion with you on another thread about franchise QBs and how rare they are, so I won't rehash it. I also respect your opinions, coach, so also nothing personal, but do you think Faneca has handled this professionally? As a side note, I fear for the future of this team when Dan passes on, because I think his son is a snake in the grass and is the proverbial apple that fell very far from the tree. Up until this offseason, it seems to me that Kraft, who could buy and sell the Rooneys with ease, was a far bigger penny pincher than the Rooneys ever thought of being. Fact is, they lucked out with Brady - it happens.

penny pinching is obviously a necessity at times....but Kraft is far more proactive than the rooneys....please dont ask me for my opinion of Art II on a day llike today....i fear what i may say:cheers:

this was just mishandled ..... unfortunately that is par for the course when it comes to the rooneys decisions lately

fansince'76
05-11-2007, 11:18 PM
this was just mishandled ..... unfortunately that is par for the course when it comes to the rooneys decisions lately

Actually, I agree - I think the HC hiring process was a monumental piece of mismanagement - I don't think it's any coincidence considering that AJR II is taking over more and more of the responsibilities of team operations. I shudder to think what it's going to be like when Dan passes and AJR II has nobody to answer to.

Preacher
05-11-2007, 11:19 PM
Thats fair...but for me...SB's not playoffs is the goal....and the last decade and a half has proven that SB's dont just fall in your lap by waiting your turn....proactive business decisions by the front office are a must to win SB's plural....just look up in Boston....their way works far better than the Rooney's blue light special mentality

Actually.. They way they did things in Boston was VERY SIMILAR to how we did things here... until this year. Now we will see.

And they amount of times we failed in teh AFCCG...

I put that on Cowher... when we are Run first, run last, run all the time... it is easy to know what is going to happen in the next play. If you run into a team that can stop the run... your screwed. If you run into a team that can strike fast... your screwed.

That is why I like the Steelers how they are over the last couple of years... cause they are more balanced.

BUt beyond all this, to me... this is the issue.

They were going to sign Faneca... had the amount for that position not exploded... he would have been back. Instead, it went WAY UP. Rooney's won't play along, because they gotta pay out Ben and Polamalu next year. Heck, we are already in cap trouble. that is why Peezy is gone and Faneca is almost gone. And yeah, I think the beginning of this trouble was the muli-million dollor contract to Ward. Did HE deserve it? YEP. But look at the problems it causes down the road. it eats up cap room.

tony hipchest
05-11-2007, 11:20 PM
jerome is gone. along with him is dick hoak and a philosophy that has been around as long as franco harris, barry foster, bam morris, duce staley, and verron haynes. dan kreider has 1 foot out the door.

bill cowher is gone. along with him is a talented coaching staff that included ken wisenhunt, russ grimm, darren perry.

Joey porter is gone. along with our defensive leader. our offensive team captain has turned in the reigns and announced that he has 1 foot out the door.

dan rooney is gone. artII is clearly in charge. does anyone notice that changes are taking place?

we might as well forget that the steelers even won the lombardi 2 seasons ago because the decisions that are taking place today dont take that into account. what is happening would be happening regardless if we won a championship or not. i dont know what this means for polamalu or ward, but by looking at recent changes i would be a bit concerned if i were them.

of course if i were in charge of a team i wouldnt want my players to feel concerned. if recent transactions say anything, troy will not be the highest paid safety in the league and hines will not be the highest paid steeler. if the rooneys have shown anything it is that they are inflexible in their ways.

changes are definitely taking place, and our past championships have no bearing. when i see what the bucs paid to aquire gruden, and keyshawn, i think it sucks we cant get squat for cowher, grimm, whiz, faneca, porter, (troy and hines????).

coachspeak33
05-11-2007, 11:21 PM

look he isnt totally fault-free.....

i think he feels lied to and frustrated....so someone sticks a microphone in his face and asks him about why he isnt paid in the top 10 G's.....and he answers the questions asked....if he ignored the media then people would get on here and bash him for that.....i would rather the guy speak candidly like he did...

but that isnt my main concern.....

i am a steelers fan....i want them to stay SB contenders.....i want to see them take advantage of a roster full of talent that took them to 15-1 & SB seasons...they arent going to do that with their recent decision making IMO....

and getting luck w/ Tom Brady in Rd 6 has nothing to do with how they handled the Branch situation....They identified their problem last year was defense and WR and a return specialist....so what did they do?
Added Adaleous Thomas, Kelly Washington, Wes Welker, Dante Stallworth, Randy Moss.

Yeah they lost some guys over the years....Mcginest, andruzzi, givens, fauria, etc

But they also signed and resigned Brady, Seymore, Harrison....they identified who the core was and found ways to keep them while still adding talent to the roster....something the rooneys have not displayed the ability to do

IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK FROM THE ALMIGHTY ROONEYS?????

fansince'76
05-11-2007, 11:32 PM
changes are definitely taking place, and our past championships have no bearing. when i see what the bucs paid to aquire gruden, and keyshawn, i think it sucks we cant get squat for cowher, grimm, whiz, faneca, porter, (troy and hines????).

It seems to me that the Cowher situation and Gruden situation were completely different. After stabbing Dungy in the back as he was preparing the Bucs for a WC playoff game, the Glaziers were holding talks with Parcells to take the job over. Parcells in turn stiffed the Glaziers and they were then between a rock and a hard place (and it served them right). Cowher simply up and quit.

coachspeak33
05-11-2007, 11:33 PM
Nothin like going 15-1, then win a SB, with a roster full of talent ...and then start over???? doesnt make sense

coachspeak33
05-11-2007, 11:39 PM
jerome is gone. along with him is dick hoak and a philosophy that has been around as long as franco harris, barry foster, bam morris, duce staley, and verron haynes. dan kreider has 1 foot out the door.

bill cowher is gone. along with him is a talented coaching staff that included ken wisenhunt, russ grimm, darren perry.

Joey porter is gone. along with our defensive leader. our offensive team captain has turned in the reigns and announced that he has 1 foot out the door.

dan rooney is gone. artII is clearly in charge. does anyone notice that changes are taking place?

we might as well forget that the steelers even won the lombardi 2 seasons ago because the decisions that are taking place today dont take that into account. what is happening would be happening regardless if we won a championship or not. i dont know what this means for polamalu or ward, but by looking at recent changes i would be a bit concerned if i were them.

of course if i were in charge of a team i wouldnt want my players to feel concerned. if recent transactions say anything, troy will not be the highest paid safety in the league and hines will not be the highest paid steeler. if the rooneys have shown anything it is that they are inflexible in their ways.

this transition (into the Art II era) could be an exciting one....but what i have seen over the last yr and a half is far more scary than exciting....tomlin better be that good

SteelerFanInTX210
05-11-2007, 11:53 PM
I think he is being a huge baby, i hope karma doesnt come around and injure him for the season, if he plays well can you imagine the amount of money he is going to get from other teams, im talking about stupid money. I just hope the FO isnt being tightwads with Troy hes a special player that doesnt come around often.

BlacknGold Bleeder
05-11-2007, 11:56 PM
"I lived and breathed Steelers football for nine years and gave them everything I had, helped them win a Super Bowl. In my mind, I've earned the right to be treated fairly. To make me go out there this year, play football with no security ... "

He's playing with no security???... He's getting paid 3.5 million this year !! He sure as hell didn't mind signing the contract that made him the highest paid guard in football, what was it for what 30 million ?? When his time was right the STEELERS made the decision and signed him, guess his time isn't right now. He says he wants to be paid top ten money, it may not be the top of the list but he is in it. Nobody made him sign the contract, he knows how it was structured.

He needs to play out his contract!! I don't think anybody expected this tirade of his, I'll admit,I didn't. He has all the incentive in the world to play this season to make sure he gets his upcoming HUGE signing bonus !! Take the opportunity that has been given to other STEELERS, Porter for example, and go get your money!! Also take a note of how Porter,while disappointed, knew it was a business decision and walked away with his head held high and mouth SHUT !!

NV STEELERS 723
05-12-2007, 12:01 AM
Didn't the STEELERS pay Faneca 1 million this year as a roster bonus ????? Thats what
I thought !

Faneca needs to take a step back and realize how lucky he is.... he is playing a game and getting paid nicely for it.... and it is a game...

He's not a worth the cash on a long term deal....

But Troy and Ben are........

Do I have to keep saying this here??????????????????

tony hipchest
05-12-2007, 12:06 AM
and getting luck w/ Tom Brady in Rd 6 has nothing to do with how they handled the Branch situation....They identified their problem last year was defense and WR and a return specialist....so what did they do?
Added Adaleous Thomas, Kelly Washington, Wes Welker, Dante Stallworth, Randy Moss.

Yeah they lost some guys over the years....Mcginest, andruzzi, givens, fauria, etc

But they also signed and resigned Brady, Seymore, Harrison....they identified who the core was and found ways to keep them while still adding talent to the roster....something the rooneys have not displayed the ability to do

in 2000 we drafted national champion qb tee martin (and successor to p. manning who actually won a BIG game) in the 5th round. the next qb taken in the next round was tom brady.

luck allowed them to have the best back up (d. bledsoe) when brady was knocked out of the afcc game in 2001.

the luck of landing that pick allowed the patriots to trade bledsoe for multiple high round picks.

the luck of brady turned branch into what he was. brady, and the scheme always put the ball on point. all branch had to do was run the routes and put his hands together around the ball. for that the brady luck made branch worth a 1st round draft choice. plus the pats were able to trade their 1st round pick for randy moss and next years 1st from the 49ers (a point ive beaten to death)

i know people hate moss, but i like his 4.29 speed and the fact that hes a potential hall of famer much younger than rice or harrison were in some of their productive years. :hunch:

the luck of the brady pick has influenced alot. even the trade of branch. you notice givens and patten havent done squat either?

tony hipchest
05-12-2007, 12:10 AM
I think he is being a huge baby, i hope karma doesnt come around and injure him for the season, if he plays well can you imagine the amount of money he is going to get from other teams, im talking about stupid money. I just hope the FO isnt being tightwads with Troy hes a special player that doesnt come around often.
troy is a great player. thats for sure. but someone earlier suggested he was a cornerstone of our franchise. ronnie lott was great but the 49ers dynasty wouldnt be squat w/o rice and montana. troy is a safety. thats it.

paw-n-maul-u
05-12-2007, 12:40 AM
I don't think its unreasonable to say that he is the cornerstone of our defense, no? If you can think of another steelers defender that teams have to gameplan for more then I would love to hear it.

And regards to trading faneca, he screwed himself over. I think it's been pretty well known for awhile that Faneca is unhappy and won't be here next year. We, as fans, guessed it awhile ago. And I'm sure people inside the league knew it as well also. I can't imagine any team giving a realistic offer for him knowing in a season he'll be on the market FOR SURE (considering the steelers just dont have the cash to resign him) ...

... so a team gives up two second rounders OR they wait a year and pick him up, probably cheaper, and they know hes still going to be performing at a high level, AND they keep two second rounders. I bet the best offer the steelers got for him was either a third rounder this year or a second next. Why not just keep the guy for another year, get his services, then get a FREE third round comp. pick. (which we all know we will).

Look, if the steelers got an appealing offer for faneca, im sure they would have taken it. Is there some Art II conspiracy theory you got going on thats aiming to send the steelers franchise into the ground?

Go buy EA Sports "Head Coach" or Madden, then you can play fantasy alllllll day. It sure is fun to suggest trade scenarios, kind of like throwing at a dartboard blind fold.

tony hipchest
05-12-2007, 12:50 AM
I don't think its unreasonable to say that he is the cornerstone of our defense, no? If you can think of another steelers defender that teams have to gameplan for more then I would love to hear it.

And regards to trading faneca, he screwed himself over. I think it's been pretty well known for awhile that Faneca is unhappy and won't be here next year. We, as fans, guessed it awhile ago. And I'm sure people inside the league knew it as well also. I can't imagine any team giving a realistic offer for him knowing in a season he'll be on the market FOR SURE (considering the steelers just dont have the cash to resign him) ...

... so a team gives up two second rounders OR they wait a year and pick him up, probably cheaper, and they know hes still going to be performing at a high level, AND they keep two second rounders. I bet the best offer the steelers got for him was either a third rounder this year or a second next. Why not just keep the guy for another year, get his services, then get a FREE third round comp. pick. (which we all know we will).

Look, if the steelers got an appealing offer for faneca, im sure they would have taken it. Is there some Art II conspiracy theory you got going on thats aiming to send the steelers franchise into the ground?

Go buy EA Sports "Head Coach" or Madden, then you can play fantasy alllllll day. It sure is fun to suggest trade scenarios, kind of like throwing at a dartboard blind fold.theres a big difference between the " cornerstone of our franchise" and the "cornerstone of our defense".

a little reading (like say... THE PREVIOUS POST) might show as much. its good to know ronnie lott allowed montana and rice to do their thing though. thanks :thumbsup:

again, youre not covering any new ground with your posts trying to refute my points. been there, done that. :coffee:

paw-n-maul-u
05-12-2007, 12:53 AM
oh ... and with the steelers having as much cap room as they do (SECOND LEAST IN THE NFL), how the hell do you suggest we sign all these extra first or second or third round picks or whatever of the 10 million trades you have ingeniously drawn up in your mind???

You sure are offering a lot of free advice but I don't see much in regards to thinking ... maybe ... long term?

And I DO read a good amount of your posts, so don't assume I'm skippin out on my HW.

paw-n-maul-u
05-12-2007, 01:08 AM
theres a big difference between the " cornerstone of our franchise" and the "cornerstone of our defense".

a little reading (like say... THE PREVIOUS POST) might show as much. its good to know ronnie lott allowed montana and rice to do their thing though. thanks :thumbsup:

again, youre not covering any new ground with your posts trying to refute my points. been there, done that. :coffee:

First, IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII never said he was the cornerstone of franchise ... just making a note that an arguement could be made that he is the cornerstone of our DEFENSE. It was just a side note.

What I'm really confused about is why you keep assuming so and so's trade value and conjuring up all of these scenarios. Colbert already came out and said they looked at all the trade down scenarios and trade scenarios for players, none of them were appealing. I'll trust the FO on this one.

tony hipchest
05-12-2007, 01:21 AM
What I'm really confused about is why you keep assuming so and so's trade value and conjuring up all of these scenarios.

sometimes abstract thoughts are confusing.

for you, i would suggest its nothing worth getting worked up over. :thumbsup:

tony hipchest
05-12-2007, 01:32 AM
oh ... and with the steelers having as much cap room as they do (SECOND LEAST IN THE NFL), how the hell do you suggest we sign all these extra first or second or third round picks or whatever of the 10 million trades you have ingeniously drawn up in your mind???

You sure are offering a lot of free advice but I don't see much in regards to thinking ... maybe ... long term?

And I DO read a good amount of your posts, so don't assume I'm skippin out on my HW.lol. youre not too familiar with the workings of rookies and their initial contracts are you?

s. holmes was signed for 5 years at the bargain price of 8.5 mil (give or take). you cut one high priced veteran and you can afford all your rookies assuming they arent top 10 picks.

many rookies base salary is the league minimum plus their signing bonus, which is pro rated over the duration of their total contract (depending on each teams cap situation). if they can afford to absorb an initial hit above the mandated minimum, they will. otherwise they just push the cap charges into the future.

feel free to continue to try and educate me. im getting a laugh out of it.

SteelerFanInCA
05-12-2007, 02:20 AM
I can't believe what a fricking cry baby this guy is. Just send his ass off already. We don't need any distractions. I can't see him helping the team any this year especially if he doesn't want to be here.

Faneca is being a dumb ass and saying all the wrong things. Grow up Fanceca.

Galax Steeler
05-12-2007, 03:46 AM
I think Faneca is being a big crybaby it is time to let him walk I am tired of hearing his whinning

MJ5150
05-12-2007, 04:46 AM
Wow, this totally sucks. We can't just let this guy walk out of here or dump him for a fourth round draft pick in the future.

Things aren't looking good in Steeler world right now. I'm nervous. We can't just keep losing important parts of the team like it's no big deal. I think this is a HUGE turning point in the Steelers franchise coming upon us. It isn't going to be like it used to where guys took whatever the Rooneys gave them and played their hearts out for average money.

I'm already hearing talk of Troy walking out of here, and some folks seem to think that is no big deal. I know how this will play out too.....at the moment, Troy is a "stud", one of the best in the NFL, a true asset to the city of Pittsburgh. The minute he leaves, he will turn into a greedy bastard that doesn't deserve to play for the Steelers.

Yeah, I'm nervous. I just hate seeing my team in the news lately for all of the wrong reasons.

-Mike

Indy_Steelers
05-12-2007, 04:58 AM
Here's my opinion:

They're even.

Right On!:iagree:

Anybody remember him trashing Ben in Ben's rookie season? If he would give some of his money back after last seasons horrible play I might rethink this whole thing.
I am also think that nobody wanted to pay Alan what he is wanting and that is why the Steelers can not get rid of him via trade, especially after his play last season. Glad I never bought as Faneca jersey.

steelcity58
05-12-2007, 05:06 AM
Hell, I'd kick his ass off the team right now.

Yeah...he's been a good player...but I am really tired of these millionare cry babies...

Go play for the friggin Broncos...Shanahan will teach how to chop block.

steelcity58
05-12-2007, 05:10 AM
Could have traded this guy for a 6'2 WR 6 months ago...

revefsreleets
05-12-2007, 06:54 AM
I'm surprised at Alan's outburst. What good does it do him to do this publicly? This kind of thing seems much more like something TO would do.

My guess is that the Steelers know what a lot of people were guessing and that's that Faneca's best years are behind him and they don't want to give him a big pile of money to watch him get a little less effective each year. I just hope he doesn't say anything else and plays really hard so he can get his giant Cardinals contract next year.

steelafan
05-12-2007, 07:26 AM
Personally, I think it's nice to see someone think playing for the Steelers is more than a business, to make it personal. I think it makes a player better on the field. He feels there's more at stake than "this is just a business." That's why some people prefer to watch college ball - the passion and loyalty for an alma mater, something you care about, having it really matter whether you win or lose and doing everything you can to make the wins happen. Faneca seems to have had that attitude from the beginning. Now he's been stabbed in the back, lied to by the team he cared so much about. I don't blame him for feeling the way he does or for saying how he feels. What I'm sick about is the fans who say they are for a team, but have no regard for the players of the team unless they are Ben or Troy or have a certain number of years left or whatever. (Faneca is worth a certain amount right now. Those who are worried about paying him too much money because he might not "last" that long should remember that contracts can be renegotiated - Bettis is just one example of that.) Anyway . . . How can you be a fan of a team made up of coaches and players and then be so disloyal to them; they make up the team. I know - some would say I want a dream world. But it's a dream I like. I think I'll keep trying to live there.

tkyhnt
05-12-2007, 07:34 AM
As much as I hate to say it I do believe Faneca has to go and before the season. It is obvious that he has lost his desire to play for Pittsburgh. One thing this team does not need is someone that does not have his hear in playing. If we can trade him that would be great, the O line is a little thin so I do not see him being cut outright.

steelafan
05-12-2007, 07:40 AM
My guess is that the Steelers know what a lot of people were guessing and that's that Faneca's best years are behind him and they don't want to give him a big pile of money to watch him get a little less effective each year.

Faneca's best years being behind him STILL leaves him far above the rest of what's out there - those that can play now or any time in the next 4 - 5 years. If and when play declines, ask him to take a cut like you have so many other players.

83-Steelers-43
05-12-2007, 07:50 AM
Bottomline in my book, Faneca has the right to want more money and the Steelers have the right to look after their own interests and not pay him. Welcome to the NFL. While I can understand why Faneca is upset, I felt he went overboard with his comments. I do not feel Faneca is being greedy, he wants his market value and I can't blame the guy. More power to him.

At the same time I'm not going to sit here and bash the Rooney's for being cheap. Until they give me a legitimate reason to complain about how this organization is managed I see no reason why I should jump on them. Do I agree with every decision the Rooney's make? No. I'm sure I would be saying the exact same thing if I happened to be a fan of another organization. Especially if I were a fan of the Lions or Texans. Wow, imagine having that front office? At times, I feel some fail to realize how good we have it.

Eitherway, I'm going to wait and see how things pan out and I would also like to hear the other side's story. Up until now I've only heard Faneca's rant.

stillers4me
05-12-2007, 08:00 AM
I doubt he's be so whiney if one of his buddies had been named head coach.

83-Steelers-43
05-12-2007, 08:12 AM
I doubt he's be so whiney if one of his buddies had been named head coach.

IMO, even if Grimm was our HC I feel this situation would be where it is at this point. The complaining about Grimm was smoke screen to cover up the bigger issue. Money. I'm not stating that Faneca is completely happy with the Tomlin hire, but I doubt Faneca would have bit his tongue yesterday simply because Grimm was the HC.

Again, if Faneca got the big contract he would love (or learn to) Tomlin.

Atlanta Dan
05-12-2007, 08:14 AM
Bottomline in my book, Faneca has the right to want more money and the Steelers have the right to look after their own interests and not pay him. Welcome to the NFL. While I can understand why Faneca is upset, I felt he went overboard with his comments. I do not feel Faneca is being greedy, he wants his market value and I can't blame the guy. More power to him.

At the same time I'm not going to sit here and bash the Rooney's for being cheap. Until they give me a legitimate reason to complain about how this organization is managed I see no reason why I should jump on them. Do I agree with every decision the Rooney's make? No. I'm sure I would be saying the exact same thing if I happened to be a fan of another organization. Especially if I were a fan of the Lions or Texans. Wow, imagine having that front office? At times, I feel some fail to realize how good we have it.

Eitherway, I'm going to wait and see how things pan out and I would also like to hear the other side's story. Up until now I've only heard Faneca's rant.

Faneca is trying to force a trade - he wants his FA $$ now and does not want to risk getting injured or having another off year in 2007 that lowers his market value.

In other words, he wants what Porter got. In that context, his behavior yesterday was not a loss of control but a premeditated attempt to force the issue. Threatening to be disruptive worked for Porter, so Faneca rationally has decided to play the troublemaker card.

83-Steelers-43
05-12-2007, 08:16 AM
Faneca is trying to force a trade - he wants his FA $$ now and does not want to risk getting injured or having another off year in 2007 that lowers his market value.

In other words, he wants what Porter got. In that context, his behavior yesterday was not a loss of control but a premeditated attempt to force the issue. Threatening to be disruptive worked for Porter, so Faneca rationally has decided to play the troublemaker card.

I'm not doubting nor am I clueless to his motives. It was pretty obvious that he had the answer's ready before he was even asked the questions..lol. Once again, I'm not blaming the guy for wanting more cash. I'm not blaming the guy for being upset. I just felt he could have went about it a little differently. He could have made his point clear without going over the line which in my opinion he did with some of his comments.

coachspeak33
05-12-2007, 08:32 AM

And I DO read a good amount of your posts, so don't assume I'm skippin out on my HW.

whose fault is that exactly....oh yeah thats right colbert, art II, & company.....
they are th ones who decided to overpay to resign Okobi....
they are the ones who gave in to Sean Moreys holdout last year....
they are the ones who decided to throw money at Mahan and Smith this offseason instead of faneca....
they decided to resign Carter this offseason....
they decided to bring in Clark at 2 million per instead of living with carter and anthonny smith....
they decided that they needed najeh AND barlow at around a combined 3 million plus per season....
they decided that three QB's on the roster was necessary, when it really is a luxury that most cap suffering teams dont give themselves....
they decided that ike was worth huge dollars, jury still out on that one...
they decided to give deshea an extension instead of turning his spot over to Mcfadden, so now were paying Deshea around 3 million per so he can play nickleback???....
they decided to not draft an Olineman in the 07 draft who can help this year...
they decided to extend hartings AND still give Okobi his rediculous deal last season (oh and by the way hartings and okobi are counting against our 07 cap)....
they decided to extend and overpay for Tuman AND use a day 1 selection on yet another dam TE...
they decided that cedric wilson was worth a 2.75 cap hit only to replace him with a rd 1 selection that was drafted less than a year after they signed Cedric....
they decided to cut Verron 6 months after extending him....
they sign alan to his 1 million dollar bonus in march and STILL find a way to make their offensive captain for the last four seasons feel ostrecized....
Oh and by the way they are ushering in a new HC for the first time in a decade and a half and it is surrounded with backstabbing, cheapness, dissent, fingerpointing, only to name a few....not exactly a greta way for a new beginning in steelers football.

oh and furthermore...the one constant in all of those situations....ART II and colbert have been pushing all the buttons for each decision....no its not an Art II conspiracy ...its cold hard facts...Art II is not succeeding right now....PERIOD...all those decisions end with him...he writes the check....he is everybody's boss....and the shit is going downhill under his watch

coachspeak33
05-12-2007, 08:34 AM
First, IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII never said he was the cornerstone of franchise ... just making a note that an arguement could be made that he is the cornerstone of our DEFENSE. It was just a side note.

What I'm really confused about is why you keep assuming so and so's trade value and conjuring up all of these scenarios. Colbert already came out and said they looked at all the trade down scenarios and trade scenarios for players, none of them were appealing. I'll trust the FO on this one.

colbert would never be able to fool you, would he!!!!!:toofunny: :toofunny:

coachspeak33
05-12-2007, 08:39 AM

your right and who set that precidence????? Art II was the one who cut joey instead of trading him to the place that best served the pittsburgh steelers....but he had more important business to take care of like the casino stuff...cuase ya know its not like his football team began preparations this week or anything:coffee:

83-Steelers-43
05-12-2007, 08:58 AM
Cook: Way too early to get excited over Faneca melodrama
Saturday, May 12, 2007

By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Let's get one thing straight at the top.

The world isn't going to end because Alan Faneca is unhappy, not even the little corner that the Steelers inhabit.

There are two key points to understand here:

It's business and it's May 12.

Get back to me in early September with an update on Faneca's mood. Who knows? By then, it's possible this big, pouting multimillionaire, who did his best to try to talk his way out of town yesterday, will be a big, ecstatic multimillionaire, who fights back tears and says how it's only right that he's going to finish his All-Pro career with the Steelers.

Not to be cynical.

Did I mention this is business?

That isn't to say Faneca didn't kick the rhetoric up three notches with his inflamed rant at minicamp, the most excitement that normally staid team function has known since linebacker Earl Holmes and running back Richard Huntley swung chairs at each other in a 2000 locker-room melee. Even teammates were surprised to learn that Faneca said he wants out, that he has asked to be traded and doesn't care to what team, and that he'll probably have to give up his captain's position because he can't see being a leader for a franchise that obviously doesn't want him. That last part really raised eyebrows among the fellows.

But the rest of it?

Please.

We've heard it before.

Remember, we're taking about modern-day athletes. They want it both ways. They want the right to sell themselves to the highest bidder, which is as it should be. Football is a brutal game, and the players are entitled to make as much as they can. But if the team decides to go in another direction or disagrees on fair-market value? Look out. The players scream bloody murder and play the loyalty card.

So it is for Faneca.

So it was for Hines Ward.

It was about this time two years ago that Ward expressed unhappiness about heading into the final year of his contract without receiving what he felt was a fair offer from the Steelers. I don't remember if he phrased it exactly like Faneca did yesterday -- "I've lived and breathed Steelers football for nine years" -- but he made it clear he felt unappreciated. That summer, he held out at training camp and reported only after a call from coach Bill Cowher and after realizing the Rooneys would let him sit and rot before resuming negotiations with him as a holdout. Before the first game, he signed the richest contract in franchise history and, a few months later, led the Steelers to the championship as the Super Bowl XL Most Valuable Player.

So it could be for Faneca.

"They're not going to blow my socks off," Faneca said, smirking, dismissing the suggestion that the Steelers have not made their best contract offer. "This will be my last year as a Pittsburgh Steeler."

Maybe.

Not all contract negotiations have happy endings. The Steelers released team leader Joey Porter after last season because they didn't think he was worth $5 million this season. They let Mike Webster and Rod Woodson -- one a Hall of Famer, the other soon-to-be one -- leave after money disputes. They allowed Mike Merriweather to sit out the 1988 season in a contract huff after his team-record 15-sack season in '87. And, most famously, they released Franco Harris after his training-camp hold out in '84.

So, too, that could be for Faneca.

But it doesn't have to be that way.

There's still plenty of time to do a deal.

Did I mention it's May 12?

The Rooneys aren't going to react to Faneca's public sulking or hold it against him. Nor will they trade him because that would send the wrong message to any other disgruntled players. They'll just continue to bide their time. They clearly haven't made their best offer. There's no need to do it now; it's still early in the negotiating game. The time for serious talks won't come until near the end of training camp.

You can bet Faneca -- no matter how bitter -- will listen to what the Rooneys have to say.

In the meantime, Faneca has to decide what he wants. He can sign a new long-term deal this summer for huge guaranteed money and continue to play in a city where he's nothing less than a redheaded football god. Or he can play out the final season of his contract and risk a career-ending injury to become a free agent and make even more money. He can't have it both ways. He can't fully get his true-market value with a year left on his contract. He has to be a free agent.

One thing we know:

The Steelers will go on -- with or without Faneca.

This might be a distraction that new coach Mike Tomlin doesn't need, but he'll survive.

The idea that Faneca will give the Steelers less than his best if he decides to play out the string is ridiculous. He's much too smart for that. He doesn't have to be happy about making a paltry $4.375 million this season to know he has to have a good year if he's going to get his silly money as a free agent.

The idea that the Faneca situation will tear apart the Steelers' locker room also is ludicrous. If the team doesn't win, it won't be because of that. Faneca's assertion that it "sends a quiet, but strong message" to the other players that management won't take care of those who play hard and produce is just flat wrong. The players are much too smart for that. They know playing hard and producing bring no guarantee of a big contract. But they also know they have no chance if they don't play hard and produce.

Anyway, do you really think Ben Roethlisberger cares if Faneca doesn't get his money?

He cares only about getting his when the time comes.

All the players feel that way, which is as it should be.

It's business, after all.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07132/785475-87.stm

Atlanta Dan
05-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Nor will they trade him because that would send the wrong message to any other disgruntled players.

Nice point if true, but Cook fails to recognize that ship sailed when they let Porter go and allowed him to cut a new FA deal without receiving either the last year of performance on his contract or at least a draft pick.

rbryan
05-12-2007, 09:13 AM
whose fault is that exactly....oh yeah thats right colbert, art II, & company.....
they are th ones who decided to overpay to resign Okobi....
they are the ones who gave in to Sean Moreys holdout last year....
they are the ones who decided to throw money at Mahan and Smith this offseason instead of faneca....
they decided to resign Carter this offseason....
they decided to bring in Clark at 2 million per instead of living with carter and anthonny smith....
they decided that they needed najeh AND barlow at around a combined 3 million plus per season....
they decided that three QB's on the roster was necessary, when it really is a luxury that most cap suffering teams dont give themselves....
they decided that ike was worth huge dollars, jury still out on that one...
they decided to give deshea an extension instead of turning his spot over to Mcfadden, so now were paying Deshea around 3 million per so he can play nickleback???....
they decided to not draft an Olineman in the 07 draft who can help this year...
they decided to extend hartings AND still give Okobi his rediculous deal last season (oh and by the way hartings and okobi are counting against our 07 cap)....
they decided to extend and overpay for Tuman AND use a day 1 selection on yet another dam TE...
they decided that cedric wilson was worth a 2.75 cap hit only to replace him with a rd 1 selection that was drafted less than a year after they signed Cedric....
they decided to cut Verron 6 months after extending him....
they sign alan to his 1 million dollar bonus in march and STILL find a way to make their offensive captain for the last four seasons feel ostrecized....
Oh and by the way they are ushering in a new HC for the first time in a decade and a half and it is surrounded with backstabbing, cheapness, dissent, fingerpointing, only to name a few....not exactly a greta way for a new beginning in steelers football.

oh and furthermore...the one constant in all of those situations....ART II and colbert have been pushing all the buttons for each decision....no its not an Art II conspiracy ...its cold hard facts...Art II is not succeeding right now....PERIOD...all those decisions end with him...he writes the check....he is everybody's boss....and the shit is going downhill under his watch

Blah, blah, blah. I can't get past the first few sentances of your montage without getting nauseous. Apparently the Rooneys have it all wrong, maybe they should hire you to run the show? The only cold hard fact I gather from your ranting is that YOU are about as clueless as Faneca himself.

Atlanta Dan
05-12-2007, 09:13 AM
your right and who set that precidence????? Art II was the one who cut joey instead of trading him to the place that best served the pittsburgh steelers....but he had more important business to take care of like the casino stuff...cuase ya know its not like his football team began preparations this week or anything:coffee:

Well, in defense of AJR II on Porter, damned if you do, damned if you don't. If Porter had been traded to a bottom feeder like the Lions for a draft pick, Ward and Faneca would be whining about how Porter was not being respected for his years of service by such a trade.

At the time, I argued letting Porter go rather than trade him was a goodwill gesture that would promote harmony among those that remained. I was wrong - the players correctly think they are beef on the hoof; letting Porter go only encourages Faneca to think he can force a trade or release by acting out like Porter did last year.

noto45
05-12-2007, 10:13 AM
great article by ron cook. If Faneca wants to stay he can if not he can risk it all this season and move on the steelers will survive either way!

83-Steelers-43
05-12-2007, 10:14 AM
great article by ron cook.

I thought so. I enjoyed this part in particular.....

Remember, we're taking about modern-day athletes. They want it both ways. They want the right to sell themselves to the highest bidder, which is as it should be. Football is a brutal game, and the players are entitled to make as much as they can. But if the team decides to go in another direction or disagrees on fair-market value? Look out. The players scream bloody murder and play the loyalty card.

Livinginthe past
05-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Well, in defense of AJR II on Porter, damned if you do, damned if you don't. If Porter had been traded to a bottom feeder like the Lions for a draft pick, Ward and Faneca would be whining about how Porter was not being respected for his years of service by such a trade.

At the time, I argued letting Porter go rather than trade him was a goodwill gesture that would promote harmony among those that remained. I was wrong - the players correctly think they are beef on the hoof; letting Porter go only encourages Faneca to think he can force a trade or release by acting out like Porter did last year.

The way I see it, players that are willing to hold out and complain to the media are only thinking one thing - 'how much money can I get out of this situation?'

I look at the Porter decision, which I still think was deeply flawed (they should have gained at least a 4th rounder for him), and wonder how releasing him would affect the outlook of guys like Faneca.

Basically, the only thing that would have kept Faneca happy is a situation that would sent clear signs that he was getting paid.

Porter being released meant nothing to Faneca if it didn't help his own personal situation.

Do you still think that the release of Porter was a goodwill gesture?

I argued at the time that Rooney should be doing everything to enable the future of the franchise instead of passing out favors for past performance - if they have been 'doing favors' then it seems out of character to me and bad business practice.

We know there was a definite market for Porter and the Steelers came out of that situation with nothing on the credit side of the deal - we can be almost certain that there is a similar if not better market for Faneca.

The question is, will the Steelers come out with nothing again?

I also strongly agree with the points made earlier in this thread - re-signing players before they reach the end of the contract seems to be a financially sound pratice - the Eagles excel in this area.

I don't see Faneca continuing to play for the Steelers - the rate at which he is burning bridges he must have been told he isn't coming back.

If the Steelers can get decent trade value for him (a 2nd rounder) then I am sure the Steelers faithful would be supportive.

rbryan
05-12-2007, 10:36 AM
I can see the frustration when the Rooneys are unwilling to accept any change in the way they do business. To never change anything in business or life, just because thats the way you've "always" done it, doesn't make it right.

Having said that, what Faneca did is still much worse. He ran his mouth and now himself, right out of Pittsburgh, same as JP. And it started a long time ago. He talks about loyalty? All I hear is me me me.

TackleMeBen
05-12-2007, 10:46 AM
this is what the situation will turn into...
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/beautifulgirl427/horse.gif

Atlanta Dan
05-12-2007, 10:52 AM
LITP - at the time I thought the release of Porter was a gesture designed to keep the lid on discontent among the vets by not trading Porter to a rotten team not of his choice. I never thought that decision was altruistic (the Steelers thought they were buying labor peace) but I thought it contrasted with the more nakedly cold blooded business practices of the Pats.

As I have stated in several posts this week, I was completely wrong about how the Porter decision played out. Whatever draft choice the Steelers would have received for Porter would have been better than what they received, which was no draft choice and no labor peace. I still think the Steelers had a plan when they let Porter go for nothing - the plan backfired and now Faneca has not improperly concluded the way to get out and get the FA $$$ ASAP is to raise hell.

So the bottom line for me is the Pats business plan is the correct one for now - let all your players know from the get go they are cogs in the machine and that they will be replaced if a better cog at a better price can be found. I say that not as any dig at the Pats but in acknowledgment that in the NFL fear goes a lot further than respect in motivating players.

Livinginthe past
05-12-2007, 11:17 AM
LITP - at the time I thought the release of Porter was a gesture designed to keep the lid on discontent among the vets by not trading Porter to a rotten team not of his choice. I never thought that decision was altruistic (the Steelers thought they were buying labor peace) but I thought it contrasted with the more nakedly cold blooded business practices of the Pats.

As I have stated in several posts this week, I was completely wrong about how the Porter decision played out. Whatever draft choice the Steelers would have received for Porter would have been better than what they received, which was no draft choice and no labor peace. I still think the Steelers had a plan when they let Porter go for nothing - the plan backfired and now Faneca has not improperly concluded the way to get out and get the FA $$$ ASAP is to raise hell.

So the bottom line for me is the Pats business plan is the correct one for now - let all your players know from the get go they are cogs in the machine and that they will be replaced if a better cog at a better price can be found. I say that not as any dig at the Pats but in acknowledgment that in the NFL fear goes a lot further than respect in motivating players.

Thanks Dan,

I happen to agree with your take on the Patriots business model - everyone is treated with the same basic ethos where they are made aware that their value to the team is the only real factor in contract negotiations.

Players like Brady and Seymour are still very much 'cogs' albeit much more important ones - which is reflected in the way their contract negotiations were handled.

I feel that the Patriots players don't 'fear' the system in New England - they are just made very aware of what the boundaries of personal conduct in contract negotiations are.

I remember all the fuss over Troy Brown not being given a contract a few years back, all the talk of the disloyal Patriots F.O. stabbing a trust vet in the back (even from Patriots fans) when all they were doing was making a non-emotional decision based upon what is best for the franchise.

The fact remains that the salary cap is going to handicap teams that succeed, fans are going to lose some of valuable and respected players every year - its how you deal with those losses that is the key.

Tony H. has it down to a tee in his analysis of the Patriots trading of a disgruntled Deion Branch last year - what they did was make a poor situation into a very good one by understanding the mechanics of player value.

Long term success must come through the draft - a Steeler signature - but passing up draft picks in an attempt to keep certain vets happy is short termist and sets a poor precedent.

Letting an un-motivated Faneca play out the rest of this year, only to leave in FA next year is the worst possible scenario - Faneca's value wont be adversely affected by a poor year in Steelers colors this year - you only have to look at the contracts handed out to who-dat guards this year to realise that.

The only way to go is a trade - to who and for how much will be the key.

coachspeak33
05-12-2007, 11:21 AM

if that would have been the case atlanta dan....then i would have villified them (ward and faneca) for not being concerned with the future of the steelers....my main concern is the steelers success ....
i could ccare less if they traded peezy to the moon let alone detroit or anywhere else...but it sure would have been nice to get a draft pick in return for him....
after all he was our property for another season...
and if he holds out, under the new CBA the rooneys dont have to pay him.....so i would have traded him and if i couldnt and he holds out....SO WHAT!!
we got nothing in return for a guy who was our property (at a bargain by the way) for another season.....and their lack of proactivity to move him on draft day creates another situation where a probowl calibar player will go to another team for nothing....and anyone who thinks that is smart business is flat wrong.

i love how people just love that the rooneys dont play the FA game and build through tthe draft...and then dont call them out for completely blowing multiple opportunities to add those valuable building block draft picks....

and anyone that believes that there were no offers for faneca...Puuulease....people throughout this league are fighting over who can pay G's 50 million dollars....i would say that equals a high level of interest on the market....and we all know that faneca is better than the guys who signed those deals this spring....colbert spits out those lies and the sheep just lap it up

do i want faneca to finish his career in pitt????....that would definitely help ben and whoever the RB is...(dont count on Willie being that guy...if he rushes for 1400 yds this season and proves he is for real....He will start packing his bags cuz the rooneys arent gonna pay his ass either)

coachspeak33
05-12-2007, 11:30 AM
I can see the frustration when the Rooneys are unwilling to accept any change in the way they do business. To never change anything in business or life, just because thats the way you've "always" done it, doesn't make it right.

Having said that, what Faneca did is still much worse. He ran his mouth and now himself, right out of Pittsburgh, same as JP. And it started a long time ago. He talks about loyalty? All I hear is me me me.

you hit the nail on the head.....this is exactly where my frustration lies....refusal to modernize in terms of front office decision making....while other teams are getting better it appears that we are in the early stages of a new 5 yr plan....THAT IS UNACCEPTABLE WHEN YOU CONSIDER THE TALENT ON THE ROSTER AND THE NUMBER OF GAMES WON THE PAST THREE SEASONS

LITP is right....the pats are current owners of the correct business model in the NFL right now....and we are falling behind due in large part to the mismanagement by the Art II and Colbert.

it doesnt make me happy...but if it walks & talks like a duck....then its probably a duck

tony hipchest
05-12-2007, 11:49 AM
Cook: Way too early to get excited over Faneca melodrama
Saturday, May 12, 2007

By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Let's get one thing straight at the top.

The world isn't going to end because Alan Faneca is unhappy, not even the little corner that the Steelers inhabit.

There are two key points to understand here:

It's business and it's May 12.

Get back to me in early September with an update on Faneca's mood. Who knows? By then, it's possible this big, pouting multimillionaire, who did his best to try to talk his way out of town yesterday, will be a big, ecstatic multimillionaire, who fights back tears and says how it's only right that he's going to finish his All-Pro career with the Steelers.

Not to be cynical.

Did I mention this is business?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07132/785475-87.stmits an alright article that lends some optimism, but the only meat i got from it was todays date. its rather simplistic and assuming.

of course ben cares if faneca gets his money and retires a steeler. as does willie, as does the team. ben cared when plexico didnt get his.

They clearly haven't made their best offer. There's no need to do it now; it's still early in the negotiating game. The time for serious talks won't come until near the end of training campwhats the point in playing a "game" with fanecas livelyhood? doesnt he deserve better than to be jerked around? whats wrong with "serious" talks now?

the article assumes if the steelers want faneca they will have him. unfortunately it indirectly assumes the same about polamalu. basically saying that all players are there to be bought, which is true. but its a gamble to think that money is the ONLY important thing to them. when i see troy i feel that money may be important but so is his pride and respect.

just because the rooneys want a player, its risky to take for granted the player will want them back.The Rooneys aren't going to react to Faneca's public sulking or hold it against him. the damage may have already been done. faneca still has the option to hold it against them, play out his year, and then leave. the rooneys can use his public outburst as leverage against him.

what baffles me is the complete difference of the contract extension negotiations for aaron smith, and the ones for faneca.

Cape Cod Steel Head
05-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Love him ,but if that's his attitude he need's to go ASAP!

tony hipchest
05-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Letting an un-motivated Faneca play out the rest of this year, only to leave in FA next year is the worst possible scenario - Faneca's value wont be adversely affected by a poor year in Steelers colors this year - you only have to look at the contracts handed out to who-dat guards this year to realise that.

The only way to go is a trade - to who and for how much will be the key.it seems to be populat belief that faneca will have to come in and play lights out this year to earn his big payday in free agency.

faneca has already earned his big payday and will get it on name alone regardless if he has a down season. if anyone needs proof, look no further than joey porter of faneca making it to the pro bowl last year.

of course i think alot of steelerfans exaggerate when they say porter had a piss poor year last season and faneca didnt deserve his 6th trip to the pro bowl.

coachspeak33
05-12-2007, 12:08 PM
it seems to be populat belief that faneca will have to come in and play lights out this year to earn his big payday in free agency.

faneca has already earned his big payday and will get it on name alone regardless if he has a down season. if anyone needs proof, look no further than joey porter of faneca making it to the pro bowl last year.

of course i think alot of steelerfans exaggerate when they say porter had a piss poor year last season and faneca didnt deserve his 6th trip to the pro bowl.

agreed tony....cooks article was simply okay...he is nothing more than a carnival barker to the "loyal-to-a-fault" sheep in downtown pitt

he says life will go on with our without faneca....No!!!! Really???? cause i thought the sun wasnt gonna come up this morning....what a stooge.

just because life is gonna go on doesnt mean that it was a sound business decision....NOR DOES IT GIVE THE ROONEYS A PASS FOR YET ANOTHER PERSONEL MISHAP.

tony....who would you rather have finish his career in Pittsburgh....Smith or Faneca (if i knew how to make a poll i would...cause apparently when smith signed his deal it sealed the fate of #66

83-Steelers-43
05-12-2007, 12:18 PM
Faneca no-show at morning practice
Saturday, May 12, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Guard Alan Faneca, who complained bitterly about his contract status on the first day of Steelers minicamp yesterday, was not on the practice field for the morning session today.

Attendance is required for each of the three days the Steelers hold minicamp through Sunday. Mr.Faneca said on Friday that he would attend all sessions because they are required, then leave Pittsburgh Sunday night and not return until training camp starts July 23.

The Steelers declined to comment until coach Mike Tomlin speaks to the media later this afternoon, but some of his teammates said that Mr.Faneca remains in Pittsburgh and may still be at the team's facility.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07132/785639-100.stm

LambertIsGod58
05-12-2007, 12:18 PM
I'm on Faneca's side on this one...The Steelers are heading in a dangerous direction with this team. Hiring a DC with one year of experience to replace a legend like Cowher? They will become the Pirates of football if they keep this crap up.

83-Steelers-43
05-12-2007, 12:31 PM
As always with PFT, take it for what it's worth.....

STEELERS OFFERED FANECA $19 MILLION OVER FIRST THREE YEARS

A source tells us that the Pittsburgh Steelers extended an opening offer to guard Alan Faneca for a contract extension that would have paid him $19 million over the first three years of the deal.

Per the source, Faneca wants $24 million over the first three seasons, and isn't budging.

As we explained on Friday, Faneca's anger regarding the gap between his demand and the team's offer is misplaced. The team has no obligation to pay him more money than the team believes that the 30-year-old offensive lineman deserves. And by publicly crying about the situation, Faneca is no different than Pacman Jones or Chris Henry or T.O. or any other selfish ******* who puts his own interests above a system that has made many men with few if any other marketable skills rich beyond their wildest dreams.

But, hey, at least Faneca showed up for a mandatory minicamp.

"[H]e's a professional. He's here. It's not like he didn't show up," said receiver Hines Ward.

Hines, he showed up because, under the new CBA, he could have lost 25 percent of the prorated bonus amount for 2007, the final year of his current contract. The potential price tag would have been $400,000.

And how can Faneca be described as "a professional" in light of his Friday rant? Panthers receiver Steve Smith wanted a new contract for more than a year, and never said a word about it publicly. Sure, there were rumors that he was milking a hamstring injury last year in quiet protest to the lack of a new deal. But Smith never ran his mouth.

The irony here is that, in identical situations, the receiver acted like an offensive lineman usually does, and the offensive lineman is acting like a receiver usually behaves.

So, in our view, there's nothing professional about what Faneca is doing. And it could be that Faneca and Ward and anyone of their mindset will have to go before new Steelers coach Mike Tomlin can communicate his message to the guys who still get it.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Black@Gold Forever32
05-12-2007, 12:35 PM
For all those bashing the Rooney's on this. Go join the Cards bandwagon since there is alot of room.lol That way for some of you that don't like Tomlin you can have your boys Ken and Russ.lol

Atlanta Dan
05-12-2007, 12:43 PM
So Faneca just finished saying yesterday he had to show up at mini-camp because under the new CBA he gets whacked financially if he is a no show and then does not show up at mini-camp the next day?:confused:

If the $19 mil over three years offer is right he also is being offered a raise, so that was another bulls**t statement.

Based on this I think he holds out for several weeks at the start of real camp. It was pre-Internet in the late 80s, but this looks like the biggest contract negotiation train wreck since Woodson held out before signing his rookie contract and Mike Merriweather sat out the entire 1988 season (but then was traded for a #1 pick). What a mess.

coachspeak33
05-12-2007, 12:58 PM
what a mess is right....very distracting...not condusive at all for a smooth transistion into a new regime....iam not convinved this will happen but how's another 8-8 season sound???? cause we saw how distractions effected this talented teams play last season...Yuk

paw-n-maul-u
05-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Cook-idiot.

Faneca is gone. I don't know why he thinks this relationship is salvageable. And it is COMPLETELY different than the H. Ward issue. Ward wanted to stay in pitt forever. Faneca wants to go play fireman with Grimm and Wizz in the hot arizona sun.

Weird because you would think thats the last place a pale-skinned ginger would want to go, oh well.

Tony Hipchest. earlier you said ... Troy is just a SAFETY. well, Faneca is just a GUARD, probably the least essential position on the offensive line. Is it any wonder why Ben Grubbs didn't get taken until the bottom half of the second round? Even though it was WIDELY assumed that he was going to start from day 1 and probably be a perrenial probowler.

He's
Just
A
Guard.

If Faneca was as dominating as he is now at say, the LT position, then I would be giving the Rooney's my lunch money to help pay his signing bonus. A guard just simply is not that high of a priority. Superstar or not.

And I personally believe his trade value is shot to hell also. He did that to himself with his whining. I DONT think the steelers got any reasonable offers for faneca. Actually, I should probably rephrase that as:

I don't think the steelers got any better offer than a LATE second (maybe some team like seattle) or an early third (from some team like AZ) ... either way, I bet the best bet for the steelers is to get another year out of him and then a free third round Comp. pick.

I would love to skip around in fantasy land and pluck off 2nd and 3rd rounders from the Draft Tree but it just doesn't work like that. Other teams know how valuable their day 1 draft choices are as well, and I just CANNOT see the steelers getting an appealing offer for an O-lineman who:

-is on the wrong side of 30
-seems to have maybe lost a step
- is obviously unhappy with his CURRENT team. which he just said he WONT play for. (meaning next year he will undoubtably be on the open market).
- is well, just a guard.

I mean really. The dolphins gave up a 2nd round choice last year for a Franchise QB by the name of Daunte Culpepper. Younger, WAYYYYYY more important at his respective position. And I'd say that he (Culpepper) is just as good at his position as Faneca is at his. ... well, maybe, but he sure did have a helluva lot more potential still.

Look how that turned around and smacked the dolphins in the face. Maybe teams are just wary of the potential problems with bringing in someone who is probably/MAYBE going to give you only another 2-3 years of really really solid play. This is for sure. He will NOT be going to a team that can't win RIGHT NOW.

WTF is a team like detroit going to do with an all pro guard. by the time they finally build up enough talent to make a playoff run, Faneca will have long since retired.

lets look at it this way: about a quarter of the teams in the league (that is being VERY generous) have a legit shot at being SB contenders. No team that is rebuilding starts by dumping top draft picks for an aging offensive guard. well, maybe the redskins.

Then out of the rest of the teams, who can actually afford to give up those picks and make room for fanecas multi multi multi MULTI million dollar contract that hes undoubtedly going to get.??

I'd say after everything is said and done, there are MAYBE a half-dozen teams that would even CONSIDER acquiring faneca. And FINALLY, after all that (finding a team with cap room, can immediately contend, and the luxury to give away Day 1 draft picks,) ... after ALL that, those remaining teams are STILL going to low ball the steelers just based on the fact that they know hes going to be there next year, cheaper, and not have to give away picks.

paw-n-maul-u
05-12-2007, 01:26 PM
sorry correctoin on that last part ... grubbs taken bottom half FIRST round ... just got into the zone a little.

tony hipchest
05-12-2007, 02:44 PM
sorry correctoin on that last part ... grubbs taken bottom half FIRST round ... just got into the zone a little.yes. the 1 fact you brought to the table to support all your opinions (most of which i dont agree with) was wrong.

whats that say?

you can try to devalue guards all you want. i guess all the huge contracts teams are handing out to them are imaginary.

coachspeak33
05-12-2007, 03:08 PM
Cook-idiot.

And I personally believe his trade value is shot to hell also. He did that to himself with his whining. I DONT think the steelers got any reasonable offers for faneca. Actually, I should probably rephrase that as:

I don't think the steelers got any better offer than a LATE second (maybe some team like seattle) or an early third (from some team like AZ) ... either way, I bet the best bet for the steelers is to get another year out of him and then a free third

but do you realize who gets hurt by all of this......THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS....the rooneys knew about this situation long before any of us......and what did they do to prevent it....NOT A DAM THING......this is my primary beef with Art II....if you not gonna pay him and you see this ugly situation as a real possibility then your job as club president is to help your football team......what exactly did the FO do to make this football team better this offseason?????

Oh yeah thats right signed a few journeymen backups....and multiple starters walk and get zero in return....hey ArtII a little effort would be nice....at least dedicate as many hours of your work day to the steelers as you do the casino issues in pittsburgh

coachspeak33
05-12-2007, 03:09 PM
faneca ruining his trade value with all his whining doesnt hurt him one bit....he will get his cash no matter what level he plays at this season.....bank on it

TackleMeBen
05-12-2007, 03:23 PM
has anyone heard that fancea walked out of mini camp today? it was posted on another steeler board that he walked out this morning. just wondering if anyone has heard if this is true or not?

tony hipchest
05-12-2007, 03:52 PM
tomlin doesnt sound too concerned and is taking the situation in stride. audio of his press conference: http://postgazette.com/pg/07132/785477-66.stm

or

http://news.steelers.com/article/76466/Alan Faneca, a nine-year veteran who is entering the final season of his contract, reported as required but he also made it clear he is unhappy with his situation. During a media session that lasted longer than five minutes between practices, Faneca stated his case in a definitive manner. Following the day's second practice, Coach Mike Tomlin answered questions about what the Steelers' All-Pro guard had to say.

"I heard that he was a little upset,":chuckle: said Tomlin of Faneca. "That's part of it. It doesn't surprise me, which is to say that anytime you have a group of 80 men, to think that you'd have total harmony is unrealistic. I know one thing: he practiced well this morning and this afternoon, and that's what's important. He's here and he's practicing well."

As a first-year coach, Tomlin is going through the process of building relationships with the players in the locker room, and he was asked whether a vocally unhappy player of Faneca's stature could undermine what he's trying to establish.

"It's worrisome, but at the same time, everything I've heard about Alan is that he's a professional, he loves to play the game," said Tomlin. "Usually you worry very little about those guys. When it's time to play football, they play football. Whether or not you get leadership from him, that's another thing. You have to be careful sometimes what you ask of people from a leadership standpoint. What's required is that he plays well and plays up to his ability."

One of the things Faneca said was that 2007 definitely was going to be his last season with the Steelers, and Tomlin was asked if a statement such as that threatened what the head coach is attempting to establish in his first season here.

"If you're defensive (it will)," said Tomlin. "Negotiations and the CBA and the things we're going through right now with him are probably like other teams in other cities are going through. It's an emotional thing for him, and rightly so. It's his livelihood, that's what he does. But from an organization standpoint, we're going through the negotiation process, and we're not talking about it a great deal publicly because that's our policy. Along the line, he's going to express some frustration, but as long as he does what he's supposed to do professionally, which is come to work for mandatory minicamps and play football at a high level like he did today, then we move forward. If you get defensive, then it's a problem."

Tomlin's NFL coaching career may have spanned only six seasons before this one, but he said he has had some experience with established veteran players being dissatisfied with contracts.

"Not to make light of the situation, but it's all a re-run," said Tomlin. "If you stay in the league long enough, you'll run across it, particularly on teams that have great players and have experienced team success. It comes with it. It's part of the things that create distractions, it's part of the things you've got to fight, part of the things you've got to do to sustain greatness as an organization. It's part of the territory in today's NFL.

"Not to make light of the situation, but we're in the process of dealing with it, and our preference is to deal with it privately because that's how we conduct our business in that area."

coachspeak33
05-12-2007, 03:53 PM
has anyone heard that fancea walked out of mini camp today? it was posted on another steeler board that he walked out this morning. just wondering if anyone has heard if this is true or not?

he was a no show for the morning work out....returned during the afternoon session....cant wait for tomlins press conference after 2nd workout...its like car wreck-it hurts to look, but i cant look away

coachspeak33
05-12-2007, 03:58 PM
tomlin doesnt sound too concerned and is taking the situation in stride. audio of his press conference: http://postgazette.com/pg/07132/785477-66.stm

or

http://news.steelers.com/article/76466/

i am really starting to feel bad for tomlin....young fella with absolutely no stroke to protect and have say in what is HIS football team....or at least that is what the perception should be....

he may agree with not paying faneca 50 million but there is no way he wants his first minicamp to have this kind of negativity throughout it....betcha he would rather have traded faneca for a pick or two and grabbed a G on day 1.

tony hipchest
05-12-2007, 03:59 PM
i wonder if faneca skipped the morning practice or if he was called into the principals office for a little 1 on 1 chat with dan the man.

Stlrs4Life
05-12-2007, 04:03 PM

I don't think we would get much for him from anybody. Any team that wants him, can just wait till the end of the season and bid on him. I'd bench his ass for the season. Think he'd be a little rusty after sitting a season for his new team? Screw Faneca.

coachspeak33
05-12-2007, 04:05 PM
I don't think we would get much for him from anybody. Any team that wants him, can just wait till the end of the season and bid on him. I'd bench his ass for the season. Think he'd be a little rusty after sitting a season for his new team? Screw Faneca.

unfortunately that screws us steelers fans more....we lose a G of his calibar and a negative distraction all season long .... and he still will break the bank

tony hipchest
05-12-2007, 04:05 PM
i am really starting to feel bad for tomlin....young fella with absolutely no stroke to protect and have say in what is HIS football team....or at least that is what the perception should be....

he may agree with not paying faneca 50 million but there is no way he wants his first minicamp to have this kind of negativity throughout it....betcha he would rather have traded faneca for a pick or two and grabbed a G on day 1.i dont feel sorry for him. hes unfazed by this all and really seems unflappable. hes self admitted boarderline c0cky, and it seems he is just as confident that he can plug mayhan in there and coach them all up the same.

he's got a killer job, and he seems willing to bet on himself every time. he seems to have all the confidence in the world of his bosses, and i get the feeling theyre really letting him do it his way.

coachspeak33
05-12-2007, 04:06 PM
i dont feel sorry for him. hes unfazed by this all and really seems unflappable. hes self admitted boarderline c0cky, and it seems he is just as confident that he can plug mayhan in there and coach them all up the same.

he's got a killer job, and he seems willing to bet on himself every time. he seems to have all the confidence in the world of his bosses, and i get the feeling theyre really letting him do it his way.

i hope he can block

tony hipchest
05-12-2007, 04:14 PM
i hope he can blockmayhan or tomlin? :sofunny:

everybody on the o-line is playing for a job in 08. theyre playing for the cold hard cash and a starting position every player covets (the playoffs and ring is just fruits of those efforts). if that dont light a fire under all 10-13 of them, i dont know what will. a competitive enviornment has been created as opposed to the fat/lazy/happy enviornment we witnessed last year.

contract disputes aside.... this is good.

coachspeak33
05-12-2007, 04:26 PM
mayhan or tomlin? :sofunny:

everybody on the o-line is playing for a job in 08. theyre playing for the cold hard cash and a starting position every player covets (the playoffs and ring is just fruits of those efforts). if that dont light a fire under all 10-13 of them, i dont know what will. a competitive enviornment has been created as opposed to the fat/lazy/happy enviornment we witnessed last year.

contract disputes aside.... this is good.

you may be right....hard for me to think that this will benefit a team environment however...and every player on this roster just got a wake up call and realized that the rooneys arent going to pay anyone fair market value......the only question left is who is next????

my money is on hines getting cut within a year or so....or Willie if his play continues to improve and he rushes for 1700 yds....and he doesnt want to play at a pro bowl level for 2.5 million a season.....

HometownGal
05-12-2007, 04:57 PM

I'm sorry guys - I have to agree with Dom here. First he bit ched and moaned about the Rooneys' selection of a new HC, now he's bit ching about not being paid "what he is worth". C'mon folks - while I appreciate the contributions Faneca has made to the team over the years, he is approaching the age of 32 and on the downside of his career. I lost a lot of respect for him when he boo-hooed and slobbered all over himself when Grimm wasn't selected as the new HC. I agree Dom - SCREW HIM.

fansince'76
05-12-2007, 06:01 PM
and every player on this roster just got a wake up call and realized that the rooneys arent going to pay anyone fair market value......the only question left is who is next????

$5 mil a season isn't fair market value for Aaron Smith? I beg to differ.

coachspeak33
05-12-2007, 06:06 PM
i was reffering to fair market value for elite players....not super solid

Atlanta Dan
05-12-2007, 06:19 PM
i was reffering to fair market value for elite players....not super solid

Faneca has been an elite player (although not in 2006) but he is entering his 10th year so a valid argument can be made that he is not entitled to a franchise level contract - it would be like overpaying for a stock.

The usual rule is your great players make it big on the contract after their rookie contract.
The Steelers have two of those players coming up for their second contract - Ben and Troy.

I will wait to see if Troy signs before conceding your position the Steelers will not pay market rate for elite players.

fansince'76
05-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Sigh - the good old days:

August 20, 1991 in History

Event: Dolphin Dan Marino surpasses Joe Montana as the highest paid NFL player with a 5-year extension for $25 million

http://www.brainyhistory.com/events/1991/august_20_1991_165466.html

Shit, nowadays marginal O-linemen are getting twice as much as this. Inflation doesn't account for all of it, either.

tony hipchest
05-12-2007, 06:55 PM
the cheifs desperately wanted willie roaf to return last season. he is 6 years older than faneca. there are markets for players of fanecas age. i think the steelers realize this.

if a trade was gonna be done for faneca it shoulda been done when the market for guards hit its peak in march. or atleast on draft day when teams can get a little wacky and overpay.

the fact that a deal wasnt struck tells me the steelers are intent on making an honest effort in keeping him. by honest effort, i mean omar kahn will probably do a study over the past 10 years of guards over 30's production level. fanecas agent will do the same. if history shows production drastically dropping off the rooneys will offer that reflects that. if it shows no decline in production, that will be reflected in their offer. they wont make a deal based on wacky signings by the bills or cowboys.

erase the dockery, hutchinson, etc signings and the $18 mil faneca was offered is very fair. it does seem that market value has been established but the rooneys have been in business long enough to realize this may just be a bubble.

you can almost compare the rooneys as the football version of warren buffett. as everybody was dumping serious cash into internet stocks, he was grabbing beaten up, blue chip, brick and mortar stocks. he "suffered" for a year or 2, but when the bottom fell out on the high tech, internet craze, he was just fine.

people called him stupid and thought he was missing the boat for the internet bandwaggon. of course he is right there with bill gates as one of the richest men in the world.

tony hipchest
05-12-2007, 07:11 PM
lol. nfl network just showed a little clip of faneca today being questioned about yesterdays comments.

"uh, did i say that"? "its just something, im gonna have to learn to deal with."

i think his little sit down in the principals office was much more important and productive than a morning on the practice field. (its not like he needs the practice as much as an attitude adjustment)

disclaimer: dont quote me cause i dont know why faneca missed morining practice but since he was on his bosses time, i got a dime on the dollar saying he was in mr. rooneys office, politely being told to put a cork in it....

just my theory.

Atlanta Dan
05-12-2007, 07:13 PM
the cheifs desperately wanted willie roaf to return last season. he is 6 years older than faneca. there are markets for players of fanecas age. i think the steelers realize this.

if a trade was gonna be done for faneca it shoulda been done when the market for guards hit its peak in march. or atleast on draft day when teams can get a little wacky and overpay.

the fact that a deal wasnt struck tells me the steelers are intent on making an honest effort in keeping him. by honest effort, i mean omar kahn will probably do a study over the past 10 years of guards over 30's production level. fanecas agent will do the same. if history shows production drastically dropping off the rooneys will offer that reflects that. if it shows no decline in production, that will be reflected in their offer. they wont make a deal based on wacky signings by the bills or cowboys.

erase the dockery, hutchinson, etc signings and the $18 mil faneca was offered is very fair. it does seem that market value has been established but the rooneys have been in business long enough to realize this may just be a bubble.

you can almost compare the rooneys as the football version of warren buffett. as everybody was dumping serious cash into internet stocks, he was grabbing beaten up, blue chip, brick and mortar stocks. he "suffered" for a year or 2, but when the bottom fell out on the high tech, internet craze, he was just fine.

people called him stupid and thought he was missing the boat for the internet bandwaggon. of course he is right there with bill gates as one of the richest men in the world.

Great analogy with the Steelers as value investors, although in the NFL you do not get Graham, Dodd and Buffett's time frames to wait for your investment to play out.

tony hipchest
05-12-2007, 07:17 PM
Great analogy with the Steelers as value investors, although in the NFL you do not get Graham, Dodd and Buffett's time frames to wait for your investment to play out.lol. so true.

it about killed me to suggest buffett "suffered" during the "down time" :chuckle:

SteelersHoss
05-12-2007, 07:27 PM
isn't 3.5 million security enough. Is this T.O. talking?

fansince'76
05-12-2007, 08:06 PM
Merged "Common sense approach to the Faneca bruhaha" thread with "Faneca says he wants out" thread as same article was linked on page 19 of the latter (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showpost.php?p=246782&postcount=186).

tony hipchest
05-12-2007, 08:46 PM
looks like he was in the principals office (i do wish it was a meeting with dan rather than artII). unfortunately it looks like he left pissed off. i guess he dont like being told to STFU.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/PIT/10179058

Angry Faneca skips Steelers workout, returns

NFL.com wire reports

PITTSBURGH (May 12, 2007) -- An angry Alan Faneca boycotted the first of the Pittsburgh Steelers' two minicamp practices because of a comment made to him by management during a morning meeting, but returned for the second practice after talking briefly with new coach Mike Tomlin.

Faneca, the five-time All-Pro left guard, promised May 11 this will be his final season in Pittsburgh after the two sides held only cursory offseason talks regarding a new contract. Faneca is in the final season of a contract that was signed in 2002 but was subsequently renegotiated.

Still upset the following day, Faneca became angrier during the meeting with ownership -- apparently, with team president Art Rooney II, the son of owner Dan Rooney. Faneca would not reveal what the remark was.

"It was something that was said," Faneca said. "I'm just going to leave it at that."

Asked whether he requested the meeting, or whether the Rooney family did so, Faneca said it was a little of both. But Faneca declined to tone down his comments made May 11, when asked again to be traded and called the Steelers unfair for making him play this season with no contract protection beyond it.

After Faneca was absent in the morning, Tomlin talked to him during lunch and requested he take part in the day's second practice, saying, "I asked everybody to practice this afternoon, since it's a mandatory minicamp."

Faneca, a six-time Pro Bowl guard, preferred to skip the entire minicamp. He has a flight back to his offseason home after the final workout May 13, and he doesn't plan to return until training camp starts July 23. He will miss the post-minicamp voluntary team workouts that run until early June and, according to Tomlin, are highly important.

Faneca doesn't feel like he is missing much, even though new offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is tweaking the system the Steelers ran previously under former offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt.

"It's minicamp; it's not too intense," Faneca said. "I'll be ready to go."

The 30-year-old Faneca felt the Steelers misled him two years ago by asking him to wait his turn for a new deal, and he leveled some of the harshest criticism of them by a star player during an interview May 11.

The Steelers have rarely had a player of Faneca's stature so upset over a contract situation -- Franco Harris' holdout in 1984 would be the closest example -- and it is proving to be the first test for Tomlin, who succeeded 15-year coach Bill Cowher.

Faneca's unhappiness over his contract is not a unique problem, Tomlin said, and every NFL coach and team must deal with distractions, injuries and other problems. Tomlin suggested Faneca would be fined for missing a practice, but did not confirm that.

"Sure, it's an issue. More than anything else, it's got to be a lesson for us as a football team in that no season is without its ups and downs," Tomlin said. "Adversity is part of it, distractions are part of it, and this is an opportunity to grow in that area and deal with some things and go out and play football. The standards and expectations are not going to change for our football team regardless of what's going on, whether somebody has personal issues or someone is playing or not because of injury. If nothing else, we're getting some positive out of this as a football team."

The Steelers' two top draft picks, outside linebackers Lawrence Timmons (groin) and LaMarr Woodley (hamstring) remained out after getting hurt May 11. Also missing part of practice was newly signed running back Kevan Barlow (ankle), wide receiver Santonio Holmes (hamstring) and cornerback Bryant McFadden (ribs).

tomlin cracks me up. he's not gonna let anything faze him. its like water rolling off a ducks back to him. good job 'lin! :thumbsup:

TackleMeBen
05-12-2007, 08:48 PM
looks like he was in the principals office. unfortunately it looks like he left pissed off. i guess he dont like being told to STFU.

and where is a picture of someone sitting in the principal's office getting scolding..lol

ChronoCross
05-12-2007, 08:56 PM
http://www.zaldiva.com/images/TSHIRTS/SPONGEBOB/spongebob_duhandduhertshirt_pic1%20(WinCE).jpg

SteelCzar76
05-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Alan's words very well may be a matter of a 'striking the first blow' manner of thinking on his part due to his pride.
What i mean to say is,... he may very well like to retire a Steeler. But in the same breath,...he may look at things and say,..."Well,... this organization is not in the buisness of 'spending'. Even if you have earned it,...if you are in any way what they may consider a liability"

HometownGal
05-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Well look who it is..........why - it's Alan Faneca!

http://www.thesunblog.com/sports/archives/dunce.jpg

tony hipchest
05-12-2007, 09:06 PM
and where is a picture of someone sitting in the principal's office getting scolding..lol:finger:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/Principals_Office.gif

TackleMeBen
05-12-2007, 09:08 PM
I think HTG beat you out tony..lol.....

ChronoCross
05-12-2007, 09:11 PM
http://www.nicholsoncartoons.com.au/cartoons/new/2002-08-27%20Aug%20Refugee%20gets%20bill%20for%20detention %20550wb.JPG

tony hipchest
05-12-2007, 09:17 PM
I think HTG beat you out tony..lol.....oh yeah? well HTG is a cheater! that kid is clearly in a classroom, and i had to spend extra time to find an actual redhead being sent to the principals office :flap:

(good work htg) alan is clearly acting like a dunce.

you notice how those who arrive to the dinner table w/o yelling "im hungry", are the ones who get served 1st (aaron smith, casey hampton)?

GBMelBlount
05-12-2007, 09:20 PM
1. Glad we will have Alan this year. IMO I think we need him.
2. I think it chaps his butt seeing non probowlers signed to 7mil/year deals.
3. When the time comes, I think he will fall in line & play well because he knows if he doesn't, he may blow what he still may perceive as his big payday coming up.

tony hipchest
05-12-2007, 09:22 PM
http://www.nicholsoncartoons.com.au/cartoons/new/2002-08-27%20Aug%20Refugee%20gets%20bill%20for%20detention %20550wb.JPG

"I've been asking since February to trade me, to let me go," . "I've done my piece, I've done my time,

-alan faneca

TackleMeBen
05-12-2007, 09:32 PM
well tony since you had to go searching for you picture..lol.. you always crack me up with your pictures and post

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
05-12-2007, 09:57 PM
screw him.......Trade him to the cardinals.......hes obviously not set on trying to win a superbowl.........I would rather have someone who is willing to give their all play than fanaca at this moment.........
He is being a cry baby........Cowher wanted to retire.......he was a great coach........th FO hired the best coach that they thought would be able to coach the team.......
I agree with their decision..
If you dont want to play.........sit on the bench.........

X-Terminator
05-12-2007, 10:12 PM
looks like he was in the principals office (i do wish it was a meeting with dan rather than artII). unfortunately it looks like he left pissed off. i guess he dont like being told to STFU.

tomlin cracks me up. he's not gonna let anything faze him. its like water rolling off a ducks back to him. good job 'lin! :thumbsup:

Too f'in bad if he doesn't like being told to STFU. He should have shown more class and respect than he did yesterday. You think my boss - or anyone's boss - would appreciate me or another employee going off all half-c0cked like that to the media? Our asses would be gone the next day.

Should have kept your big mouth shut, Alan.

fansince'76
05-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Too f'in bad if he doesn't like being told to STFU. He should have shown more class and respect than he did yesterday. You think my boss - or anyone's boss - would appreciate me or another employee going off all half-c0cked like that to the media? Our asses would be gone the next day.

Next day? More like THAT day.

rbryan
05-12-2007, 11:02 PM
If it turns out he was offered 19 mill over 3 years and still acted like this, then he is even more of a scumbag than I originally thought. I can appreciate the fact that he may think he's worth more than that and not accept the offer, but to act as he did is unforgivable.

Preacher
05-12-2007, 11:56 PM
Sigh...

:popcorn:

coachspeak33
05-13-2007, 12:10 AM

no doubt about it...but ahhhhh to be a pro athlete....i cant even imagine....hell, thats why there are clowns walking around pittsburgh impersonating these guys:sofunny: