PDA

View Full Version : Don't blame Tomlin...

Sharkissle29
05-11-2007, 03:13 PM
I know some of you guys might blame Tomlin, but dont expect the steelers to miss the playoffs yet again. With all the stuff thats been going on its going to be difficult for us to persevere and make the playoffs. We have no true leaders going into the year, hopefully somebody steps up in the locker room. All im sayins is just to give Tomlin a few years, even though they might be a tough few...i think Tomlin will end up being a great coach for us.

Now...someone tell me im wrong and say we will make the playoffs.....please
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

The Duke
05-11-2007, 03:22 PM
i won't blame him for the faneca deal. playoffs are still far away and faneca would only be one of the pieces to get us to the playoffs. we'll survive you'll see

atlsteelers
05-11-2007, 03:36 PM
i think its a little too early to be planing our downfall...hell i might blame tomlin if he stinks..but its a team effort..alan will be fine he plays hard and they still may work out a contract extension...look at the penguins now those negations had plenty of you all sweating it out...and they got their stadium and we might still be lucky enough to get to see alan retire in a steelers uniform

FastWillieParker39
05-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Alan always complains, remember in 04 when we had Ben in his first game as a rookie QB and he complained about that and look at how that turned out.

Anyway, I think Ben is taking this year as a true ledaer. More so than last year.

Last year we had stupid turnovers, injuries and other bad distractions that happened and yet we were still one win away from the playoffs. Take all that crap away and the Steelers would have won 2-3 more games and been in the playoffs.

19ward86
05-11-2007, 04:09 PM
i think faneca is just money hungary, who can blame him. if he was traded or released he would sign for a 50-60 million dollar contract. i think the steelers might be going overboard with "tight waud" actions. ever since the cap room rule has came about the steelers have been on a downfall. 1970-caproom we had 4 soup-bowls(inside joke). ever since number 4 we have been 1-1 which isnt bad by any means but it isnt 4-0. rod woodson,jason gildon, FRANCO HARRIS, and others have all been effected by the caproom, the steelers dont want to risk a little extra to keep them on the team. age for some has effected the decisions but rod woodson still had some gas in the tank, jason gildon could of played, and franco just deserved to retire as a steeler. dont blame tomlin just give the big time players like Troy and Parker and Ben and Hines that come every ten or fifteen years big contracts to keep them until their no help any longer.

FastWillieParker39
05-11-2007, 04:27 PM
I will say the Steelers are great at doing this. They let Joey Porter go who he will now have only 1 maybe 2 more good years left in him to open up some cap. They are letting go Faneca next year as he is aging. They do this with a lot of players, Kirkland, Lloyd, etc.

NV STEELERS 723
05-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Yes............. Hello!!!!!...Big Ben is our new leader with Hines....Anyone here have a problem with that???????

Big Ben is our guy....he's young, big, strong, and he's playing a position that shows leadership....

People here need to get past the Joey and Faneca thing and support that things change.!!!

fansince'76
05-11-2007, 10:14 PM
Blame Tomlin for what? The man hasn't even coached his first game yet.

Livinginthe past
05-12-2007, 01:56 AM
Blame Tomlin for what? The man hasn't even coached his first game yet.

Ah the fickle nature of the 'what have I imagined you did for me lately' NFL, 76!

A+ for a couple of decent press conferences and a nice tie, then you are being lined up for 3 years without the playoffs. :wink02:

tony hipchest
05-12-2007, 02:11 AM
A+ for a couple of decent press conferences and a nice tie, then you are being lined up for 3 years without the playoffs. :wink02:all those great off season patriot grabs and youre still thinking wishfully? :sofunny:

seriously any steelerfans who are quick to jump on tomlin are clearly clueless, as im sure you know.

coachspeak33
05-12-2007, 11:57 AM
nothing to blame tomlin for ..... hell i kinda feel bad for him.... he is gonna be expected to go win SB's by all of us.... and his personel dept's goal is to obtain the best 2nd string in the league....cause pro bowlers are a dime a dozen....but back up safeties and linebackers - that is a rare commodity....

we didnt resignguys of the past to keep peezy, faneca, etc....now we are not resigning them to keep the likes of troy and ben...
hey that makes sense to me...but i am still waiting on the signing of those guys too....
and alan pointed out to all of us that Art II changes plans pretty quick....
and usually the breaking point is where he is required to pony up some dough

Atlanta Dan
05-12-2007, 12:08 PM
I am surprised to read in the P-G today that Tomlin was put out there to respond to Faneca's situation - Cowher always did a good job of letting the FO (Donohoe in particular) be the bad cop when a player was having contract issues while Cowher would always say he wanted that player to be a Steeler forever.

coachspeak33
05-12-2007, 12:38 PM
I hope tomlin doesnt allow himself to be turned into a complete yes man

Sharkissle29
05-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Yes............. Hello!!!!!...Big Ben is our new leader with Hines....Anyone here have a problem with that???????

Big Ben is our guy....he's young, big, strong, and he's playing a position that shows leadership....

People here need to get past the Joey and Faneca thing and support that things change.!!!

problem is you need leaders on both sides of the ball. name one on defense? hampton? polamalu? no, they're too quiet. all im saying is if we dont make the playoffs this year,you're going to see a lot of tomlin haters. just need to give the guy a few years, the steelers team has changed drastically since he became our head coach

Atlanta Dan
05-13-2007, 09:26 AM
This from today's Trib-Review on Tomlin's demeanor this weekend:

He answered the questions that were inevitable. He didn't scowl or make faces while doing so. He didn't throw a tantrum and issue any "I'm only going to address this once" caveats.

The word that came to mind was "professionalism."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_507421.html

Gee - I wonder to whom Tomlin is being compared? :smile:

Livinginthe past
05-13-2007, 09:33 AM
This from today's Trib-Review on Tomlin's demeanor this weekend:

He answered the questions that were inevitable. He didn't scowl or make faces while doing so. He didn't throw a tantrum and issue any "I'm only going to address this once" caveats.

The word that came to mind was "professionalism."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_507421.html

Gee - I wonder to whom Tomlin is being compared? :smile:

Yah - very cryptic :sofunny:

Tomlin didn't make faces, scowl....have a big chin......spit while issuing caveats....

HometownGal
05-13-2007, 10:04 AM
I know some of you guys might blame Tomlin, but dont expect the steelers to miss the playoffs yet again. With all the stuff thats been going on its going to be difficult for us to persevere and make the playoffs. We have no true leaders going into the year, hopefully somebody steps up in the locker room. All im sayins is just to give Tomlin a few years, even though they might be a tough few...i think Tomlin will end up being a great coach for us.

Now...someone tell me im wrong and say we will make the playoffs.....please
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

I can't tell you that we are going to make the playoffs, as I don't have a crystal ball to foresee the future, St33lers.

The Steelers have a brand new cast of directors this season, as well as a few different characters. Everyone will be starting from Page 1 which can really work out in the Steelers' favor. :thumbsup:

I strongly feel that the Steelers do have a couple of very promising leaders going into the season - Ben, Hines, Farrior (people seem to forget about him), and last but not least - #43. These are guys that can make or break a locker room and my money's on them keeping the guys focused, the Steelers spirit alive and moving forward, despite the bit of off-season drama the team has endured with Peezy being sent packing and Faneca's big yap. Looking around the league over the past season or two, I think the drama the Steelers have dealt with is minimal compared to that of other teams (not mentioning any names - LOL!) :wink02:

The Tomlin era has begun and I'm looking forward to it big time! :tt02: :tt02: As fans of the greatest franchise in the NFL, the best thing we can do is to focus on all of the positives that this team does have instead of nit-picking at the couple of minute negatives and get behind the Tomlinator and this team 100%. :banana:

FastWillieParker39
05-13-2007, 11:46 AM
I don't know why people are doubting the Steelers this year.

There was a reason why we didn't make the playoffs this year and it isn't because those teams were better. It was because of well all the crap that we know happened. Take all of that away and the Steelers are easily a 10-6 or 11-5 team.

The players start out fresh wanting to prove something to there new ball coach. C'mon its May, we have to have the optimism flowing! :tt02: :tt02:

Atlanta Dan
05-14-2007, 08:27 AM
Tomlin is making it clear the Faneca situation should not be laid on him - this definitely sounds like an AJR II production. Tomlin suggests and AJR II is "the decider."

Tomlin said he has talked to management about Faneca's situation and said he would make suggestions whether he thought a player should be re-signed. He would not say what his recommendations were in Faneca's case.

"Since I've been here, the Rooneys have been very receptive to opinions and I've voiced mine. That's just how we do business. I'm glad to be part of it and it'll continue and we'll move forward.

"We've talked about the [Faneca] situation. Again, we'd like to leave those elements of negotiations private -- that is our policy. But we've had in-depth discussions and I'm sure
we'll continue to have them."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07134/785861-66.stm