PDA

View Full Version : retirement plans?

19ward86
05-11-2007, 04:19 PM
parker-27
hines-32
A. smith-32

when will they retire? i dont want them to but RB's play until the age of 32 or 33. hines wants to retire when he surpases(spelling?) 10,000 yards. smith is too quiet to say when he will retire. im not sure about parker retiring in 5 years or so because he hasnt played much in the last 6 or 7 yrs of his career. he didnt play almost at all at north carolina and didnt play his first 1yr at pitt. most backs start at 21 or 22 and he didnt start until 24. hines is in love with the game. smith is a DE so im not sure if he will stay only 3 more years or 8 more years.

Atlanta Dan
05-11-2007, 05:20 PM
This will be Hines Ward's last year with the Steelers.

Ward will be asked to take a haircut on his contract like Bettis did in his last years and will prefer to go elsewhere after this season.

It is a cold business and Ward has been breaking down the last 2 seasons.

I think Smith and Parker are being counted upon as anchors to this team (along with Ben and Troy if the Steelers actually manage to sign a high profile FA under the AJR II regime) for the naxt several years.

yinzer-inseattle
05-11-2007, 05:34 PM
parker-27
hines-32
A. smith-32

when will they retire? i dont want them to but RB's play until the age of 32 or 33. hines wants to retire when he surpases(spelling?) 10,000 yards. smith is too quiet to say when he will retire. im not sure about parker retiring in 5 years or so because he hasnt played much in the last 6 or 7 yrs of his career. he didnt play almost at all at north carolina and didnt play his first 1yr at pitt. most backs start at 21 or 22 and he didnt start until 24. hines is in love with the game. smith is a DE so im not sure if he will stay only 3 more years or 8 more years.

Remember Willie does not have as many miles on his bod as most 27 yr old NFL starters. His pine time at UNC should help extend his career. If he stays healthy I would not be surpised to see him still playing at a high level (maybe not starting) at 35.

Sharkissle29
05-11-2007, 07:28 PM

Ward will be asked to take a haircut on his contract like Bettis did in his last years and will prefer to go elsewhere after this season.

I think Smith and Parker are being counted upon as anchors to this team (along with Ben and Troy if the Steelers actually manage to sign a high profile FA under the AJR II regime) for the naxt several years.

disagree there, i believe hines will retire as a steeler. what makes you think he wont take a paycut like jerome did? same players attitude wise. hines retires a steeler

WWIIOwheelz
05-11-2007, 07:39 PM
Hines has a lot more attitude than people are willing to acknowledge, as evidenced by his public qualms about FO decisions.

I agree, this will be his last season as a Steeler.

[Edit] And I really hate that, because I always loved him as a player

Atlanta Dan
05-11-2007, 07:55 PM
disagree there, i believe hines will retire as a steeler. what makes you think he wont take a paycut like jerome did? same players attitude wise. hines retires a steeler

Go to the P-G article on Faneca this afternoon and play the audio of the interview to capture the anger of a long term vet who does not agree that contracts are for future and not past performance. Porter, Hines, and Faneca all sing from that page of the hymnal.

Hines has been doing as much sniping about changing times as Faneca and is only about getting paid at this stage of his career - nothing wrong with that but in terms of loyalty to the Steelers, I believe the vets tied their love to the Cowher/Dan Rooney Steelers, not Tomlin and a corporate lawyer/shark like AJR II. The heart of the Steelers team with which Hines identified stopped beating when Bettis retired.

polamalufan43
05-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Unless something crazy happens and Mars isn't in line with Neptune, then I'd pretty sure Hines will retire a Steeler. If he doesn't, I might actually pass out because I feel so strongly about it.
Smith, I really have no clue at all.
Willie, I think he will have a good career whether it's with us or not. I think he will outlast the average RB by maybe a few years as long as he is injury free. As if he stays with us, I really dont know right now.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

NV STEELERS 723
05-11-2007, 09:57 PM

Dan, you make me laugh on this one...Hines retires a STEELER.

FastWillieParker39
05-12-2007, 12:30 AM
Even Hines said he wanted to retire a Steeler. Yes, I know talk is talk and nothing else but Hines is a good man and I mostly believe anything he says.

coachspeak33
05-12-2007, 12:44 AM
No way willie plays here until he is 35....ARE U PAYING ATTENTION TO THE ROONEYS???? they DO NOT pay players who are talented and in turn cost money.....i hope they are looking for Willie's replacement already....

hell is Willie runs for 1500 yds next season....it might be his last in Pitt....dont worry we got Kuhn though..HAHAHA

tony hipchest
05-12-2007, 02:03 AM
hines will retire a steeler because all of us fans love him. :toofunny:

in fact he will demand a raise from $9 mil/ year in 08 to $12 mil/year because he will have to accept the "team captain" baton faneca has so willingly passed off.

the rooneys will gladly meet his demands. :rolleyes:

fansince'76
05-12-2007, 02:05 AM
hines will retire a steeler because all of us fans love him. :toofunny:

And because he wuvs us so much in return! :heart: :toofunny:

holmes
05-12-2007, 02:23 AM

Boy do I hope so.

fansince'76
05-12-2007, 02:28 AM

Because the Bus was clearly past his prime when he took that paycut and it was fairly obvious he wasn't going to get a better offer anywhere else due to that fact - Hines isn't quite there yet.

Atlanta Dan
05-12-2007, 07:39 AM
Dan, you make me laugh on this one...Hines retires a STEELER.

Here is Hines Ward's take on the new regime

Receiver Hines Ward, who went through his own protracted contract talks in 2005 and held out 10 days at the start of training camp, does not like the way things are shaping up in the Steelers' locker room for 2007.

"It sets a precedent," Ward said, "because other guys look at Alan as 'Wow, this guy is a great citizen, he does a lot for the city of Pittsburgh, he's obviously a Pro Bowl player. He's done everything you ask him to do.' The younger guys just sit back and look at that situation.

"It's different now; there's no question this locker room is totally different. You lose a locker-room favorite like Joey -- not having Joey on that field is different. It's a different feel. God forbid if Alan's not out there.

"You can't put a value on leadership and being a veteran. Alan is the first guy to get here, the last guy to leave. He's worked just as hard as anybody on this team," Ward said.

"He paid his dues, he put in his time and he's a productive ballplayer. ... If he's upset, Wow!"

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07132/785478-66.stm

Wonder for whom Hines thinks this sets a precedent?:smile:

Still laughing?

coachspeak33
05-12-2007, 12:00 PM
gotta love the message the rooneys are sending to guys like willie and mcfadden among others.....

"hey guys go out there and play good but not too good....and in turn we will pay you good but not too good!!!!"

DJfan
05-12-2007, 01:26 PM
These guys piss me off. I bust my hump with two jobs to make ends meet, and hope to have a combined total income when I die of what these crybabies make in five years. Welcome to the real world jacka**. It's hard and doesn't cuddle your ego.

Sign, play, shut up.

coachspeak33
05-12-2007, 02:10 PM
These guys piss me off. I bust my hump with two jobs to make ends meet, and hope to have a combined total income when I die of what these crybabies make in five years. Welcome to the real world jacka**. It's hard and doesn't cuddle your ego.

Sign, play, shut up.

i totally see your point....but would you go to another place of business....really close to your current one...ya know same job title, same job responsibilities...and they will double your pay

ya know what happens you leave and are thrilled about it....the point is that they can get the dough somewhere else....they wanna stay so they ask the rooneys for a raise....the rooneys say no....thats fine....as a die hard and life long steelers fan i want to see the FO get something for him if they know they are gonna lose him....that isnt too much to ask...

other teams who operate like a modern franchise....(pats & eagles come to mind... theses two franchises are the current models....so blow me with the redskins and cards crap)

yeah none of us will ever know what its like to call 4 or 5 million a season to play football a "non-offer"....but they live in a completely different world than us....and i dont care ....ijust want the players on my team to be better than the ones the opponents got

And anyone that thinks there are players that wouldnt jump at the chance to make more dough some place else cause....just they are good guys.....that is a total farce...

DJfan
05-13-2007, 07:12 PM
Not good enough for me. So they get paid well, act like it. He needs to understand that there are 50 some guys on payroll, and they all have to split a predeterminded amount. Why should he get so much that he cuts money from the other guys? If he wants to be a part of a winner, lower your financial expectations. He is thinking of numbero uno.

Adios FA.

Atlanta Dan
05-13-2007, 08:03 PM
It is strictly business and if I knew there was someone out there who would be willing to significantly increase my pay right now I would want to get that increase immediately rather than wait for a year during which I might be injured and then get no offer whatsoever.

Two Steelers are in that position - Faneca and Polamalu. Both have commented on their situation this weekend - care to guess which one I think has only enhanced their reputation by their comments?

I have no problem with Faneca wanting to maximize his income but if you are paid like a successful adult it might not be too much to expect you to act like one.

stlrtruck
05-14-2007, 08:36 AM
With Hines, I think it will depend on his performance this year if he will take a pay cut or not. Although I still believe him when he said he wanted to retire a Steeler. So maybe he'll see the value in renegotiating his salary after this year in order to win another Super Bowl.

With Smith, who knows? Linemen are hard to judge. Some last longer than others while some break down year in and year out. I don't recall Smith having any serious injuries recently so maybe he'll be one of those that play forever.

For Willie, I think he'll be around for at least another 7-10 years because he doesn't have a lot of mileage on his legs. However, if he's required to carry the load the next 5 years he could be forced into early retirement. So in order to preserve him, they'll definitely need to get someone to split the load (I don't think Davenport or Barlow is that guy). So maybe in the next 2-3 years we'll need to draft a RB.

stlrtruck
05-14-2007, 08:41 AM
i totally see your point....but would you go to another place of business....really close to your current one...ya know same job title, same job responsibilities...and they will double your pay

ya know what happens you leave and are thrilled about it....the point is that they can get the dough somewhere else....they wanna stay so they ask the rooneys for a raise....the rooneys say no....thats fine....as a die hard and life long steelers fan i want to see the FO get something for him if they know they are gonna lose him....that isnt too much to ask...

other teams who operate like a modern franchise....(pats & eagles come to mind... theses two franchises are the current models....so blow me with the redskins and cards crap)

yeah none of us will ever know what its like to call 4 or 5 million a season to play football a "non-offer"....but they live in a completely different world than us....and i dont care ....ijust want the players on my team to be better than the ones the opponents got

And anyone that thinks there are players that wouldnt jump at the chance to make more dough some place else cause....just they are good guys.....that is a total farce...

I understand what you are saying. And yes, if another company offered to double my salary, then I'd take it and give my two weeks notice.

However, as upset as I may be in my present career choice, I'm not running to the media, my co-workers, or my boss bitching about it. So until I can find that other employment opportunity I continue to come to work, do my job to the best of my ability, log into SF.com & post my comments, and go home at the end of the day - still looking for someone who will pay me what I'm worth.

However, the NFL is different. In that they have contracts that hold them in certain places for certain length of time and unfortunately, they can not cut a contract short only the team can (and yes I agree that it's not fair labor practices but that's another thread).

So, IMHO, Faneca should come to work, shut up, play out this year balls to the wall, and next year - go get paid.