PDA

View Full Version : Troy wants to retire a Steeler......

stillers4me
05-12-2007, 08:05 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/steelers/s_507306.html

Steelers' Polamalu not worried about new deal
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, May 12, 2007

The stir created by Alan Faneca's incisive and blunt comments Friday obscured the fact that several other key players are in the final year of their contract, most notably safety Troy Polamalu.

On a day when Faneca announced he will not end his career as a Steeler -- the team, he said, made him a "non-offer" in regard to a contract extension -- Polamalu said he would like to do just that.

"God willing, I'll be able to retire here as a Steeler," Polamalu said yesterday after a morning minicamp practice. "That's what I hope."

The Steelers will have to do something with Polamalu that they are apparently unwilling to do with Faneca: pony up some serious cash.

The five-year contract Polamalu signed before his rookie season in 2003 is worth just under $9 million.

His next contract will be a quantum leap from that, and the Steelers just may be willing to make Polamalu one of the highest-paid safeties in the league because he is a perennial Pro Bowler and is only 26 years old.

The Ravens made Ed Reed the highest-paid safety in league history last June when they signed him to a six-year deal that is worth as much as $40 million and included a $15 million signing bonus.

"I honestly haven't paid too much attention to it," Polamalu said of the progress he and the Steelers have made on a contract extension. "It's nothing that really worries me too much. I don't think about it every day."

Polamalu missed minicamp three weeks ago, but it had nothing to do with his contract. He was on a faith-based trip that he had planned well in advance of the scheduling of the voluntary minicamp.

"I want it to happen," Polamalu said of an extension, "but right now, it really doesn't matter."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

msafford
05-12-2007, 08:28 AM
I think Troy is one of the few players I may actually believe when he says he wants to retire a Steeler. Good for him. Now let's get crackin' on his new contract! :)

RoethlisBURGHer
05-12-2007, 08:32 AM
I believe Troy.He's not all about the money,he's not even looking at what other player's at his position have gotten recently.He knows he probally won't get Ed Reed money,but he knows he will get a pretty penny.And I doubt he'll ask the team to mortgage the future on him.

Unlike Faneca,who is looking at everyone else's contract,and wanting the Steelers to break the bank on a 30 year old offensive lineman.

coachspeak33
05-12-2007, 11:45 AM
troy will not sign a contract that doesnt put him at least in the top 3 safeties ..... that unfortunately will NEVER happen in Pitt....the rooneys are not gonna pay him top 3 safety money.....their track record proves that

DJfan
05-12-2007, 12:15 PM
When you say "I want to retire a Steeler" you HAVE to know that you are saying "I will be paid a ton of cash, but not the most in the league." Troy is not that dumb. He knows what he will get offered.

He'll stay.

Smashmouth225
05-12-2007, 12:16 PM
I love Troy's personality. Real modest and humble guy who does not get caught up worrying about what the next man is making. With that being said i definitely think he is going to get signed long term. He is a rare commodity in the league and he has to be in our FO best interest to keep around long term.

Steelers
05-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Troy's got the right mindset. He'll take quality-of-career over more money.

He can stay in football's best city, play for the best team, and contend annually. Why would he risk that for more money that would probably just sit in the bank?

Black@Gold Forever32
05-12-2007, 12:37 PM
troy will not sign a contract that doesnt put him at least in the top 3 safeties ..... that unfortunately will NEVER happen in Pitt....the rooneys are not gonna pay him top 3 safety money.....their track record proves that

Then go root for another team if you have a problem the Rooneys and the way they do things. I think they have proven to be successful.lol

verks36
05-12-2007, 12:39 PM
i would really hate saying Troy wearing another color besides the black and gold
he seems grounded and has a good attitude about finishing his carrear with the team that drafted him

coachspeak33
05-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Troy's got the right mindset. He'll take quality-of-career over more money.

He can stay in football's best city, play for the best team, and contend annually. Why would he risk that for more money that would probably just sit in the bank?

your crazy...lol:sofunny: :toofunny: :sofunny: :toofunny:

Edman
05-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Troy is still a young player in his prime and I admire his attitude. He and Ben are the future, thus making them bigger contract priorities than Faneca. Troy is handlng his contract situation very well. Faneca should take notes.

Please sign Troy!

SteelerTim
05-12-2007, 02:57 PM

out of all the players in the league Troy is the one whom I believe would choose career and happiness over money. His agent probably has different plans...

coachspeak33
05-12-2007, 03:12 PM
i dont care if his agent, his wife, or anyone else is to "blame" for troy not signing for more money....if he doesnt get another deal in pittsburgh...the rooneys will get a wag of my finger...mattering little obviously....but thats who i hold responsible for taking care of the team i loyally support

coachspeak33
05-12-2007, 03:13 PM
troy will require that he is in the top 10 safeties in the nfl....just like faneca wants to be paid in the top 10 G's......they both deserve it....and they will both get it.....its up to Art II to make it happen

steelersfanman92
05-12-2007, 03:28 PM
Lets hope that troy gets that contract, i'd rather have troy than faneca

Stlrs4Life
05-12-2007, 04:28 PM
I don't care who they are. I don't believe any of them till they sign the dotted line. Been there done that. Thought the same about Faneca in the past.

coachspeak33
05-12-2007, 04:33 PM
I don't care who they are. I don't believe any of them till they sign the dotted line. Been there done that. Thought the same about Faneca in the past.

me too

Steelers
05-12-2007, 06:10 PM

If Tom Brady can do it, why not Troy, a guy who seemingly has his priorities in order and is a team player?

steelerfan5
05-12-2007, 06:23 PM
I have faith that Troy and the Rooneys will work out a deal. Personally, I didn't care that Porter left, and I don't care if Faneca leaves. Both are past their prime and not worth the money. I think the Rooneys are wise to leave enough room in their checkbooks for the younger generation: Troy & Ben.

fansince'76
05-12-2007, 06:25 PM
If Tom Brady can do it....

I hope you were kidding:

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/top25.aspx?year=2005

Brady's getting his, believe me.

ben2hines=6
05-12-2007, 07:31 PM

u know im relly getting sick of people talking about the rooneys not dishing out money....u cowgirl fans havent won a damn playoff game since 96' and yet u have the balls to talk about a franchise that just won a super bowl two years ago.....TRACK RECORD!!!! when we let people go what usually happens to their career...hmmmmm....greg lloyd ring a bell, how about kevin green.....we cant spend huge money becuase we are WINNERS and have to keep our own players like aaron smith, marvel smith, casey hampton, hines ward...do i need to say more......if the rooneys have such a terrible track record dont u think we wouldnt have signed any of the to nice contracts??? if the player is important enough and we have the CAP ROOM we will sign them....sorry we dont make stupid mistakes that others seem to do with say terril owens, and one more thing....it really looks like the cowgirl nation really cashed in a couple years ago trading outta a pick where u could have gotten steven jackson and instead took julius jones....HAHA

fansince'76
05-12-2007, 07:41 PM
u know im relly getting sick of people talking about the rooneys not dishing out money....u cowgirl fans havent won a damn playoff game since 96' and yet u have the balls to talk about a franchise that just won a super bowl two years ago.....TRACK RECORD!!!! when we let people go what usually happens to their career...hmmmmm....greg lloyd ring a bell, how about kevin green.....we cant spend huge money becuase we are WINNERS and have to keep our own players like aaron smith, marvel smith, casey hampton, hines ward...do i need to say more......if the rooneys have such a terrible track record dont u think we wouldnt have signed any of the to nice contracts??? if the player is important enough and we have the CAP ROOM we will sign them....sorry we dont make stupid mistakes that others seem to do with say terril owens, and one more thing....it really looks like the cowgirl nation really cashed in a couple years ago trading outta a pick where u could have gotten steven jackson and instead took julius jones....HAHA

Um, ben2hines, that's Tommy Maddox in his XFL uniform, not Aikman, in coachspeak33's avatar (although it does look ALOT like a Cowboys uniform). I think it's safe to say that coachspeak33 is as much a Steeler fan as you or I. I don't agree with all his criticism of our FO either, but I really do think he wants what's best for the team, as do you and I.

FastWillieParker39
05-12-2007, 07:44 PM
I think the Steelers resign him again when his contract gets down. Reason is the Steelers only let go players when they are getting old to play the game.

The whole Faneca thing, well let me say Faneca isn't worth than what some think he is. Yes he has made it to 6 pro bowls but at the same time is getting close to retirement here in a year or two. Get some new, young blood in there.

tony hipchest
05-12-2007, 08:31 PM
The whole Faneca thing, well let me say Faneca isn't worth than what some think he is. Yes he has made it to 6 pro bowls but at the same time is getting close to retirement here in a year or two. Get some new, young blood in there.why do you say that? do most healthy linemen in the nfl retire at 32 or 33 years old?

troy is 26. does that mean he only has 6 years left? (2 of which he isnt worth what he thinks he is?)

Steelers
05-12-2007, 09:59 PM
I hope you were kidding:

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/top25.aspx?year=2005

Brady's getting his, believe me.

He was also willing to restructure his contract so that the Pats could accommodate Randy Moss. Less money for him, but better for the team as a unit.

No, I was not kidding.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
05-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Lets say you are in charge of the steelers.
Who do you make a priority...

Fanace...
OR
Troy
???

Troy will retire a steelers

fansince'76
05-12-2007, 10:21 PM
He was also willing to restructure his contract so that the Pats could accommodate Randy Moss. Less money for him, but better for the team as a unit.

No, I was not kidding.

That had alot more to do with Moss' willingness to take a gigantic pay cut (which he stated he would do for no other team) and the extra money they had lying around after cutting Branch loose than Brady's "restructure," which I seriously doubt will affect Brady's pocketbook whatsoever in the long run.

tony hipchest
05-12-2007, 10:28 PM

No, I was not kidding.brady didnt give up a dime. he simply restructured his current contract. theres a huge difference. all his money is still safely secured in the patriots bank.

X-Terminator
05-12-2007, 10:29 PM

Since when was coach a Cowgirls fan???

coachspeak33
05-12-2007, 11:59 PM
Um, ben2hines, that's Tommy Maddox in his XFL uniform, not Aikman, in coachspeak33's avatar (although it does look ALOT like a Cowboys uniform). I think it's safe to say that coachspeak33 is as much a Steeler fan as you or I. I don't agree with all his criticism of our FO either, but I really do think he wants what's best for the team, as do you and I.

mucho gracius 76

coachspeak33
05-13-2007, 12:01 AM
Since when was coach a Cowgirls fan???

thanks to you as well terminator....:tt02:

Preacher
05-13-2007, 12:19 AM
Coachspeak...

I really don't get you.

I don't doubt your love or loyalty to the Steelers, but what I don't understand is that you CONSTANTLY rail against the Rooney's, who are running the team the same way for the last 75 years.

At some point, I would probably reconcile the fact that either 1. I needed to find another team or 2. This is how the Rooney's run the team, and be done with it.

I don't want to call you a bandwagon fan, because I don't think you are. You know your football and Steeler football too well. But i am just surprised because many of your posts show the same understanding of the Rooneys as bandwagon fans.

fansince'76
05-13-2007, 12:37 AM
Coachspeak...

I really don't get you.

I don't doubt your love or loyalty to the Steelers, but what I don't understand is that you CONSTANTLY rail against the Rooney's, who are running the team the same way for the last 75 years.

At some point, I would probably reconcile the fact that either 1. I needed to find another team or 2. This is how the Rooney's run the team, and be done with it.

I don't want to call you a bandwagon fan, because I don't think you are. You know your football and Steeler football too well. But i am just surprised because many of your posts show the same understanding of the Rooneys as bandwagon fans.

To be fair, Preacher, I don't think some of what coachspeak33 has been criticizing about the FO is completely unfounded. I myself have developed a fairly large reservation about the FO, especially over the last few months, and his name is AJR II. I think his philosophy and personality are polar opposites of his father's and grandfather's, and I am very concerned what will happen to the team once Dan passes on to the "great gridiron in the sky," and AJR II is accountable to nobody.

ChronoCross
05-13-2007, 01:47 AM
I have watched some of the stuff coach has posted on over couple threads but his deal is saying well this team did this and this team did that, but he is talking about teams that are 25+mil under the cap right now, are Min last year was 38mil under the cap.

If you look at everything in a whole are FO spreads the money threw out the team and not just a few players like some teams do. If a player does well we pay him pretty dang good. FO might not go out there and go crazy with this stupid contracts of 49 mil for a bust like dallas did with that O line guy they picked up, but even then Dallas was over 25mil under the cap.

Find me a team that signs a guy for 50mil contract that is 4mil under the cap during this time frame.

One4TheOtherThumb
05-13-2007, 02:28 AM
The Steelers have used the same financial practices every year as they established the greatest franchise in professional sports, so why in the world would they change it now? If you look at the most successful franchises the last few years, the Steelers, Colts, and Patriots, they all are teams that build through the draft and run their organizations similar to the Steelers (With the exception of the Pats this offseason, which is why they will crash and burn eventually like every other team with a get rich quick scheme). Off the top of your head, in the last decade how many of the Steelers stars were FA pick ups? Or how many big money free agents actually lead their new teams to the promise land? Very few. So I do not see how anyone can be the least bit critical of the Rooneys. They know the right way to run a franchise, and they have the hardware to prove it.

As for Faneca, I've never seen a player with such a "Me" attitude that didn't play WR. A $24 mill contract means more to him than a $19 mill contract that allows him to retire a Steeler. If he really breathed and lived Steeler football for 9 years like he claims, finishing his career in the black and gold would be far more valuable to him than $5 million. Seriously, why should Pitt suffer due to the incompetence of BUF, DAL, and CIN for overpaying 3rd rate OGs? He should learn a lesson from Bettis, who saw far more value in retiring as a Steeler. By taking a pay cut to retire as a Steeler, he was rewarded with a ring and riches that greatly accede the pay cut he took. He'll never pay for a meal in Pittsburgh again. Luckily, its seems like Tory values being a part of something special over a couple extra million, and he will undoubtedly be rewarded for it.

Sorry for the long rant that probably went off topic slightly, but I'm a die hard fan that was sickened by the start of mini camp being overshadowed by selfish cries....

Preacher
05-13-2007, 03:20 AM
Coachspeak...

I really don't get you.

Coachspeak...

I was reading back through my post... and realized it may have come across as a personal shot at you...

that wasn't what I was intending, and I apologize if you thought it was...

Just wanted to clear that up. :thumbsup:

Elvis
05-13-2007, 06:28 AM
I love Troy and I hope that he is here his whole career. But the concussions may end his career way too soon. I just hope and pray that he is healthy the rest of his life..
:tt02:

Galax Steeler
05-13-2007, 06:38 AM
I can see troy finishing his carrer as a steeler the attitude he has go's a long way.

stillers4me
05-13-2007, 07:16 AM
The Steelers have used the same financial practices every year as they established the greatest franchise in professional sports, so why in the world would they change it now? If you look at the most successful franchises the last few years, the Steelers, Colts, and Patriots, they all are teams that build through the draft and run their organizations similar to the Steelers (With the exception of the Pats this offseason, which is why they will crash and burn eventually like every other team with a get rich quick scheme). Off the top of your head, in the last decade how many of the Steelers stars were FA pick ups? Or how many big money free agents actually lead their new teams to the promise land? Very few. So I do not see how anyone can be the least bit critical of the Rooneys. They know the right way to run a franchise, and they have the hardware to prove it.

As for Faneca, I've never seen a player with such a "Me" attitude that didn't play WR. A $24 mill contract means more to him than a $19 mill contract that allows him to retire a Steeler. If he really breathed and lived Steeler football for 9 years like he claims, finishing his career in the black and gold would be far more valuable to him than $5 million. Seriously, why should Pitt suffer due to the incompetence of BUF, DAL, and CIN for overpaying 3rd rate OGs? He should learn a lesson from Bettis, who saw far more value in retiring as a Steeler. By taking a pay cut to retire as a Steeler, he was rewarded with a ring and riches that greatly accede the pay cut he took. He'll never pay for a meal in Pittsburgh again. Luckily, its seems like Tory values being a part of something special over a couple extra million, and he will undoubtedly be rewarded for it.

Sorry for the long rant that probably went off topic slightly, but I'm a die hard fan that was sickened by the start of mini camp being overshadowed by selfish cries....

ITA!!! :cheers:

I can't even imagine 19 million dollars!!! I can understand players wanting to be paid as much as possible but I think sometimes they need a reality check.......and a good lecture from Jerome and Troy.

Welcome to SF........I gave you some rep for your post! :thumbsup:

coachspeak33
05-13-2007, 07:47 AM
Coachspeak...

I really don't get you.

constantly might be too strong of a word in my opinion....recently Art II has been the target of a rant or two....i know my posts can get long winded at times, but that is merely a bi-product of my loyalties to this football team....what can i say, i am a passionate steeler fan everyday...
like many of you the i root my balls off for the steelers on gamedays, if a guy doesnt finish a tackle or block i dont hate him forever but i acknowledge the mistake....i also root for the steelers to make decisions that will benefit the football team also...and the decisions they have made and not made just dont make a whole lot of sense to me...i am not gonna ignore that either....but in both situations (FO & players) it aint personal...nor is it gonna make me any less loyal to the BnG

my posts are still available & i have remained pretty consistent in terms of my criticisms and appraisals....
i didnt bug out when they didnt give El all that redskin money...why? cause i dont think El is worth that large of a cap hit....
i said a million times on here that Joey was not worth all that dough IMO...I did argue that our defense would suffer a bit due to his loss...and then i get told by some on here to go root for someone else cause I aint pumped about watching a sturdy, competent pro bowl calibar professional OLB get replaced by an albeit electric player (silverback) who just so happens to be a lifelong STer...some idiots on here talk about how old Joey is and how young Harrison is and they are just flat wrong....

I look at it this way...we all have eyes....we watch the games....we see some players develop and some not develop...we can identify holes and inadequacies within the teams structure....
we fill up this website with concerns/complaints/ideas throughout the year....we also have various checkpoints in the offseason to monitor how exactly the FO is attempting to fill holes within the teams structure ie. the draft, the march signing period, etc.....which by the way the FO's job...they are to make personel decisions that give the steelers the best chance to win...
Hell, March-June is the FO's regular season...and their season matters in todays NFL almost as much.

The recent decisions baffle me...but its not gonna make me wanna run out and root for the redskins for gods sake...
I disagree with the current team philosophy (I was hoping this philosophy would go away with Billy the Chin) of spending such a large portion of cap space on backups:
-The Okobi situation, to site just one example, was seriously mishandled...to repeatedly have this guy take up cap space year in and year out and then when his time finally comes...then they realize chucky isnt the answer...the FO themselves acknowledged their mistake by spending precious FA dollars on Mahan...last year they signed Chucky AND hartings to starters money, and then this spring went out and replaced Chucky????....do that and you deserve salary cap hell

-The steelers refusal to acquire draft picks, specifically day 1 (Rds 1-3) selections, no matter what round boggles me....we typically draft well...although recently colberts day 2 selections havent been making anyone forget about guys like Aaron Smith and Deshea Townsend and other day 2 gems...
But if your not gonna be a major player in FA and build through the draft then ship assets that arent in your future plans (peezy, faneca, etc) and accumulate more picks....it gives you so many more options to help your football team throughout the season and especially on the ever so important draft day...
the steelers this offseason sat on a goldmine in faneca....these other teams are throwing ungodly money at G's....it paints a picture for all to see that we might have to start thinking about life after #66 cuz we all knew that the rooneys werent gonna pay that kinds cash for a G....okay, use that situation to your advatage and do your job FO...make the football team better....
he is an asset and more importantly until the 07 season ends HE IS OUR ASSET...turns his departure into a gain for the pittsburgh steelers...not all teams do this, but i have always believed the steelers to be prideful organization whose goal is to win on the field not in the player/FO pissing contests that every team must face.

Go steelers:tt02:

I love rooting for a class and intelligent bunch like the rooneys....but my loyalties dont come equipped with a pair of ray charles shades :wink02: and when you say they have been running the team the same way for 75 yrs that makes me misty until i see dreaded rivals like the pats using the system against those less fortunate teams to make themselves better....teams like them arent getting better solely by throwing money around....they do it w/ innovative/proactive thinking....something i feel the rooneys and colbert are more than capable of

coachspeak33
05-13-2007, 07:48 AM
I have watched some of the stuff coach has posted on over couple threads but his deal is saying well this team did this and this team did that, but he is talking about teams that are 25+mil under the cap right now, are Min last year was 38mil under the cap.

If you look at everything in a whole are FO spreads the money threw out the team and not just a few players like some teams do. If a player does well we pay him pretty dang good. FO might not go out there and go crazy with this stupid contracts of 49 mil for a bust like dallas did with that O line guy they picked up, but even then Dallas was over 25mil under the cap.

Find me a team that signs a guy for 50mil contract that is 4mil under the cap during this time frame.

i usually put bit more thought into but your entitled to your opinioin as well:cheers:

coachspeak33
05-13-2007, 07:53 AM
Coachspeak...

I was reading back through my post... and realized it may have come across as a personal shot at you...

that wasn't what I was intending, and I apologize if you thought it was...

Just wanted to clear that up. :thumbsup:

not a problem.....I enjoy the debate....especially with intelligent steelers fans....i am not from pittsburgh so its nice to banter back and forth with those who care about the same team i do....USUALLY, not always, but usually it doesnt get personal that way:sofunny:

no worries:cheers:

coachspeak33
05-13-2007, 08:23 AM

did ya ever think that the pats are under the cap because of their foresight???? I would say they have a roster full of talent too....but they at least try to avoid cap hell by trading guys for picks....they will sign the occasional talented FA...but usually not at a bank breaking cost cuz they use the "we challenge for the SB here" card...

PROACTIVITY IS THE KEY COMPONENT IN TODAYS NFL......sometimes we steelers fans confuse stability with being stagnent and proactivity of other teams as panic....4 completely different mindsets..........and there is a time and place for each:wink02:

and no i dont want to root for the pats:banging: ...but lets face it 3 SB's in the FA era.....they are the pacesetters right now:dang:

polamalufan43
05-13-2007, 10:45 AM
Well, I think it's safe to say that alot of people will believe him when he says that.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

abgroove
05-14-2007, 04:20 AM

They signed Kordell Stewart to a big contract...

Steel Pit
05-14-2007, 05:22 AM

Right on Bro, I was about to tear into the same area but you pretty much stole my thunder. Some fans act as if the Steelers should sign ALL of their free agents and that all it takes is for the Rooney's to pull out their checkbook and throw millions at a player. THEY JUST DON'T SEEM TO UNDERSTAND THE SALARY CAP!

Sure the Rooney's could pay 3 or 4 players 10-12 million dollars a year but they sure as sheat wouldn't have anyone else on the roster to speak of. And you're right about MOST of the free agents that the Steelers have let go. MOST of the depatures didn't do squat after leaving the Steelers with Hardy Nickerson, Rod Woodson and Chad Brown being the exceptions. But hey, so what? I'm glad that they didn't mortgage the farm in order to sign the aforementioned players. THAT'S ROONEY FOOTBALL SMARTS!

Steel Pit
05-14-2007, 06:00 AM
did ya ever think that the pats are under the cap because of their foresight???? I would say they have a roster full of talent too....but they at least try to avoid cap hell by trading guys for picks....they will sign the occasional talented FA...but usually not at a bank breaking cost cuz they use the "we challenge for the SB here" card...

PROACTIVITY IS THE KEY COMPONENT IN TODAYS NFL......sometimes we steelers fans confuse stability with being stagnent and proactivity of other teams as panic....4 completely different mindsets..........and there is a time and place for each:wink02:

and no i dont want to root for the pats:banging: ...but lets face it 3 SB's in the FA era.....they are the pacesetters right now:dang:

And I'll reply to this by saying that the Steelers operate in much the same manner as the Patriots. The Patriots too have cut loose some big time players i.e...Ty Law, Deion Branch, Adam Vinatieri, and Lawyer Malloy. I wonder if the Patriots fans gave Robert Craft H E L L and called him a tight wad because he didn't re-sign the aforementioned players. Why is it good business sense when the Patriots cut a player loose but when the Steelers let a free agent go it's due to the Rooney's being stingy?

Sure the Patriots WERE the pacesetters for the rest of the league. But I say "were". The Patriots began their dynasty run with, for the most part,"home grown talent". Since becomming BIG in the FA market, they've yet to win a Super Bowl. We'll see how they fare with their big free agent signings this off season. I just don't believe that an owner can buy a championship team. We've seen many fail in attempting to do so.

coachspeak33
05-14-2007, 06:18 AM
They signed Kordell Stewart to a big contract...

whew...now i feel better
:thumbsup: :wink02:

stlrtruck
05-14-2007, 08:03 AM
I think the FO has an idea of who their future leaders are on this team and along with that thought process comes the idea that they will definitely have to shell out some cash to keep them in the Black and Gold. Troy is one of those guys. Does he deserve to be the top paid DB in the league? Damn skippy he does! Will the Rooney's pay him? Right now, I'm not sure but I do know this much - the dealings with Hines Ward made it apparent that they are willing to pay for the players that, as stated above, are future leaders.

However, here's where the problems arise with fans and the FO. Who do you keep? Faneca? He's proven he can play the position and he's worth the money to keep. Someone has to protect Ben's body or Ben won't be worth a crap in 3-5 years. Troy? We've seen him on the field. Many have renamed him the Tazmanian Devil. He's a fan favorite and he's the epidomy of what our defense has stood for through the ages.

Fans will go back and forth with sign Faneca, or sign Troy. The FO could sign both of them but are the players willing to take minimal increases in pay to keep more of the core together? Probably not - which takes us back to the original problem - who do we sign?

I think it's got to be Troy. Why? One he's come out with the right mentality. He's been quiet about his contract talks, he's here, happy, and busting his hump. Faneca on the other hand is whining to the media and in the locker room about how he's being treated unfair. Sign the player that wants to be here not based solely on his salary but his desire to stay in Pittsburgh, and to play for Pittsburgh - not just the team but for the fans!

Counselor
05-14-2007, 12:03 PM

Mark my words---and I'll eat them if I'm wrong---he'll be the top paid safety when his contract is done---with the Steelers.

SteelerFanInCA
05-14-2007, 12:26 PM
I'm hoping Troy stays true to his words and wants to retire a Steeler. Hopefully he stays humble come contract negotiations time.

coachspeak33
05-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Mark my words---and I'll eat them if I'm wrong---he'll be the top paid safety when his contract is done---with the Steelers.

i hope your right

ben2hines=6
05-15-2007, 02:21 PM
sorry for the hostile comment the other day coach....i misunderstood ur avatar and just got home from work in a battle with a cowboys fan about how great jerry jones is...haha....on the other hand i do have to ask.....do u understand the salary cap? no mean intent or ignorance involved, it just seems a lot of ur posts talking about how cheap we are have no recolection of the salary cap

SteelerWatch
05-15-2007, 10:04 PM
Let's clear a few things up here...

1) Myth: The Rooneys don't pay big money
When Alan Faneca signed his last contract, he was the highest paid guard in the league.

2) Myth: Troy Polamalu will not be offered good enough money to stay
When some players say they want to retire with a certain team, they are usually blowing smoke up your...uh...chimney. Troy has always been a very sincere player, and will take any halfway decent offer. He will never make it to free agency because he will be priority numero uno between training camp and March 1st 2008. It's rare to find a safety who makes a huge impact (only Ed Reed and Brian Dawkins are in the same category as Troy), and it's rarer still to find a safety you can build your entire defense around. Troy will do anything it takes to stay here, and the front office will do everything necessary to keep him.

3) Myth: The Steelers always lose big talent to free agency
Levon Kirkland. Earl Holmes. Yancy Thigpen. Barry Foster. Antwaan Randle El. The Steelers' management has, for decades, had an uncanny ability to tell when a player's good years had all been used up. Most of the big talent they lost amounted to virtually nothing after they left. Chad Brown may -- and I stress the uncertainty here -- have been the rare exception to the rule. And it's hard to compare the statistical differences because he never played again in a similar scheme until he returned to the 'Burgh last year. Troy has many good years left in him; on the other hand, Big Al Faneca has about two, maybe three more good years left in him. I say the Steelers pay Troy what he asks and franchise Big Al in 2008, if for no reason other than to tick him off and use up one more of the few good seasons he has left.

HometownGal
05-16-2007, 07:27 AM
Chad Brown may -- and I stress the uncertainty here -- have been the rare exception to the rule.

I think it would be logical to add Kevin Greene's name there, as well.

I agree with what you are saying regarding Troy. Good post! :cheers:

Buzz05
05-16-2007, 08:02 AM
Everyone keeps talking about how Troy is going to be getting big money with his next contract. I am willing to bet he is. But what if his next contract is his last contract. For some reason I can see Troy retiring early in his career. He is devoutly religeous and does many charitable things all over as well as being a big family man. For some reason I can see him hanging up his cleats earlier then expected to persue a life of charity, service, and family time. Just a thought, but normal NFL players dont talk about wanting to retire with a team when they are Troy's age, let alone to the things he does for the community.

coachspeak33
05-16-2007, 08:07 AM
sorry for the hostile comment the other day coach....i misunderstood ur avatar and just got home from work in a battle with a cowboys fan about how great jerry jones is...haha....on the other hand i do have to ask.....do u understand the salary cap? no mean intent or ignorance involved, it just seems a lot of ur posts talking about how cheap we are have no recolection of the salary cap

I am very aware of how the cap is structured....my main issue is the logic that we cant pay a pro bowl calibar guy because we dont have the cap space....cause we spent it on back ups and role players

A few examples- Kirshke...2.2 million, Okobi....2.5 million, Tuman....1.5 million, Cedric Wilson....2.9 million

I am officially done with the faneca debate.... I expressed my opinion...

It was in regards to the overall approach to personel decisions throughout the last year and a half.... And IMO their inability to garner some return on an assett (porter and/or faneca) that they knew would not be here much longer was in full effect this spring....

Draft weekend was a golden opportunity to perform some minor reconstructive surgery by moving faneca, gettting some value in return, and avoiding the distraction that took place in a first year coaches initial mandtory minicamp.....

The rooneys failed...i was disappointed in that....I expressed it....I didnt create the "rooneys are cheap" thread....I just feel that there are times when the rooneys shop in the bargain bin....

and I am simply not going to let my loyalties to the organization and the rooneys give them a all-day/everyday pass when they drop the ball

If your not going to take the time to read a whole thread....or take the time to read previous posts on similar topics....then dont take things so personal....have a nice day!!
:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::t t02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

stlrtruck
05-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Let's clear a few things up here...

3) Myth: The Steelers always lose big talent to free agency
Levon Kirkland. Earl Holmes. Yancy Thigpen. Barry Foster. Antwaan Randle El. The Steelers' management has, for decades, had an uncanny ability to tell when a player's good years had all been used up. Most of the big talent they lost amounted to virtually nothing after they left. Chad Brown may -- and I stress the uncertainty here -- have been the rare exception to the rule. And it's hard to compare the statistical differences because he never played again in a similar scheme until he returned to the 'Burgh last year. Troy has many good years left in him; on the other hand, Big Al Faneca has about two, maybe three more good years left in him. I say the Steelers pay Troy what he asks and franchise Big Al in 2008, if for no reason other than to tick him off and use up one more of the few good seasons he has left.

I'd like to go out on the record that the Steelers released Barry Foster because of character issues, I believe surrounding drug related concerns. At least that's what I got from it.

SteelerWatch
05-16-2007, 10:14 AM
I could be wrong about Foster, however we may be confusing him with Bam Morris, who was kicked off the team mid-season following his arrest for possession and sale of Mary J(ane, not Blige). I'm honestly not sure -- it was, after all, a decade ago. My college years made every effort to ruin any coherent memories I had at any point prior to my 18th birthday.

Counselor
05-16-2007, 10:56 AM
I think it would be logical to add Kevin Greene's name there, as well.

I agree with what you are saying regarding Troy. Good post! :cheers:

....And may I add Mike Vrabel?

The Steelers are not going to let Troy go. That would be a worse mistake than Woodson and they know it. No, the FO let JP go and are letting Faneca go (both in the second half of their careers) because they know they need to keep Troy and they need to keep Ben (both in the first half of their careers).

SteelerWatch
05-16-2007, 11:08 AM

While I agree he was a big talent and was let go, I don't think we had realized his potential when he was here, because we were already so deep at the position. So yes, we lost a big talent in Vrabel, but he wasn't a "star" here at the time. it was just a case where we were saturated at the position and someone had to become expendable. I don't think, looking back, that anyone would really have an argument that he would fit better at the position than someone we ultimately kept. Just my opinion though, and mine is usually a bad one :)

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-16-2007, 01:16 PM
I could be wrong about Foster, however we may be confusing him with Bam Morris, who was kicked off the team mid-season following his arrest for possession and sale of Mary J(ane, not Blige). I'm honestly not sure -- it was, after all, a decade ago. My college years made every effort to ruin any coherent memories I had at any point prior to my 18th birthday.

You are partially right..Bam Morris was the ex-Steeler with the trunk full of pot...Fosters albatross was showing up for practice with a hang-over...which attributed to his "my heart isnt in the game" early retirement from the Bengals. Luckily he looks like he has got his life back in order and was briefly a RB coach with NFL Europes Rhein Fire

coachspeak33
05-17-2007, 08:51 AM

The Steelers are not going to let Troy go. That would be a worse mistake than Woodson and they know it. No, the FO let JP go and are letting Faneca go (both in the second half of their careers) because they know they need to keep Troy and they need to keep Ben (both in the first half of their careers).

If Willie Parker remains consistent over the next couple seasons (1400+ yds/14+ TDs) you might hear from the rooneys that "Hey we cant sign Troy cause we gotta save our dough for Willie.....think about it...it has happened a ton before