PDA

View Full Version : big ben confirms......

Koopa
09-05-2005, 12:39 AM
what i've been saying for over a week or so. now this puts me at ease cause big ben knows the deal and will get things going when it matters the most, the second half. so HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO :tt:

Ben Roethlisberger is not concerned the first-team offense produced just three points in the preseason. Or that he looked little like the 2004 NFL rookie of the year in four preseason games, completing less than half his passes (16 of 36) for 145 yards and no touchdowns.

Roethlisberger said he is a notorious slow starter who gets better as the game goes along. And he played just slightly more than the equivalent of one game in the preseason.

He said he is looking forward to the season opener Sunday against the Tennessee Titans at Heinz Field because he will play the entire game, injury notwithstanding, and be able to develop a rhythm.

"Sometimes it's hard because I'm not always the fastest of starters to a game," Roetholisberger said. "I need to learn to be better at that -- starting a game fast. You're coming out, you're playing a half, it's hard to get into a rhythm. We're done with that now. Now, hopefully, I'll be in the whole game the rest of the way."
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05248/565864.stm

BlitzburghRockCity
09-05-2005, 01:13 AM
He can be a slow starter in preseason all he wants as long as when it comes to the Regular season he kicks it into high gear!

Koopa
09-05-2005, 01:22 AM
i'm very confiedent he will kick it into high gear. he's going to have a good season, maybe not undefeated as a starter again but he's going to have a good season.

Prosdo
09-05-2005, 02:57 AM
He can be a slow starter in preseason all he wants as long as when it comes to the Regular season he kicks it into high gear!

I second that and I really think he will during the opener.

clevestinks
09-05-2005, 07:51 AM
Well atleast Ben knows that he stunk it up this preseason. Now lets get it together.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-05-2005, 08:50 AM
Acceptance is the first step in recovery !! Im anxious to see us get some confidence and go in and kick some titan ass!

Stlrs4Life
09-05-2005, 08:59 AM
Well, we shall see.

SteelCityMan786
09-05-2005, 09:34 AM
Big Ben Will take it up A HUGE notch this season. Super Bowl XL bound with the rest of his fellow Steelers.

bigbensgirl7
09-05-2005, 09:44 AM
I think Ben will be fine...He hasn't had the opportunity to play a second half in the preseason, and always played much stronger in the 2nd half. I'm not at all worried about him, I know he will step it up when it means the most. I will agree, he probably won't go undefeated this seaosn as a starter...but as long as we are in the playoffs...I don't care!

SteelR1
09-05-2005, 10:53 AM
Ben will be just fine.... I like his confidence, and someday I hope he can come into the games slinging a cannon!!!!!

The nerves will be on edge as everybody sits down to watch the Titan's game... RB changes, such a slow start in the preseason. I know I'm growing impatient to see Sunday's game....

bigbensgirl7
09-05-2005, 10:58 AM
Ben will be just fine.... I like his confidence, and someday I hope he can come into the games slinging a cannon!!!!!

The nerves will be on edge as everybody sits down to watch the Titan's game... RB changes, such a slow start in the preseason. I know I'm growing impatient to see Sunday's game....
I agree....I can't wait until Sunday...and I know htis week will go so slow because I am so anxious!

SteelZeal
09-05-2005, 06:30 PM
It sounds like a strange excuse to me. If Ben's a slow starter, he needs to get over it. I don't want to be behind in games because, "oh well, Ben's a slow starter." I don't think he started slowly in games last year.

That being said, I still think he'll be ok, eventually. He needs to calm down and play with confidence in the pocket.

LambertIsGod58
09-05-2005, 06:47 PM
Hate to say it...but with the way he's playing in the pre-season, I'd only give me a couple of games before I made the switch. No offensive touchdowns in the pre-season? Are you f'in kidding me? We should all be REAL concerned.

Black-n-Gold
09-05-2005, 08:20 PM
I'd rather them stick with Roethlisberger then go back on maddox. He'll probably have a slow start but he'll get it back pretty quick. Alot of the preseason mistakes were on the recievers running wrong patterns and dropping balls. I thought the most promising WR in the preseason was Gibson, I was looking forward to seeing him play more.

Koopa
09-05-2005, 09:04 PM
Hate to say it...but with the way he's playing in the pre-season, I'd only give me a couple of games before I made the switch. No offensive touchdowns in the pre-season? Are you f'in kidding me? We should all be REAL concerned.

well in the first game there was nothing he could really do about that cause the defense and special teams didn't allow him to play much, then against the dolphins ward came back and it messed them up a little becuase wilson had to go back to learn the other postion he was brought into play, then the 3rd week against the redskins well i guess he just kinda sucked but they were playing against the third best d in the league last season, against the panters they didn't really bring their A game and they looked like crap but it was the last game of the season and no one really tried their hardest. but come the sept. 11th games start to count and he'll be back to his old form. i don't think we should sit him cause that will mess him up in the head and there's no tellin what it could do to his career. i say you stick with him no matter what and let him learn from his mistakes. but i'm confident that no one here will be crying for cowher to sit him because he's gonna come out and play great with willie tearin up defenses with his blazin speed.

Black-n-Gold
09-05-2005, 09:14 PM
I agree, I've heard too much negative stuff about so far this preseason. One of the biggest things that helped him through last year was the run. They hardly ran at all this preseason, which let the other defenses play deeper. Come Sunday they should have Parker, and Bettis in pounding away at the defense, taking some of the pressure off of Roethlisberger. He'll perform, just wish we had some size in WRs to open it up a little.

Koopa
09-05-2005, 09:20 PM
well he gots heath miller to throw to. but will the coaching staff utilize him? time will tell i guess, but with ward getting his contract he can go play with no worries and hopefully ARE can play like he did against the giants last year, and hopefully wilson can push him to do so. week one is going to be intresting, but i think we'll get the victory even if the game looks ugly. also i don't think bettis is playing this week.

Black-n-Gold
09-05-2005, 09:34 PM
Hopefully they use Miller, they don't usually go to the TE too often. I didnt see very of him at all though in the preseason, looking forward to seeing him play. That is if they decide not to use Tuman, who I believe they have starting. The first game usually isn't very pretty, but I'm sure they'll take the Titans.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-05-2005, 09:46 PM
If Ben struggles continously, Cowher will bench him for alittle while..but its a delicate situation w/ a young player. When they are benched it kills your confidence, you feel like shiat, you wonder if you can do it when your called upon again..so if he is benched, dont look for it to be for an extended period of time. There will be some growing pains w/ Ben..but have a running game, defense and special teams to help us get thru it.

ironcitychef
09-08-2005, 02:07 AM
One of the reasons I hate the preseason. Two games and plenty of defensive and ST scoring = little offense timing. Just give us 4 quaters. Then talk to us week 2.

Suitanim
09-08-2005, 09:41 AM
As for being a slow starter, that is what it is...but I believe Ben had the highest QB Efficiency Rating in the 4th quarter in the league last year...if you want your QB hot, better in the 4th than in the 1st...

Steel - X
09-08-2005, 10:12 AM
Alright he stunk up the preseason royally but what does that mean? Nothing. Look at the guys win/loss record in the NFL and in college. Those numbers (the meaningful #'s) mean a lot to me the preseason is working out kinks in players and reviewing rookies and on the bubble players to see if they will be with the team before the season starts. Ben will be fine and we will keep winning.

Like many of you had said Heath has not been used enough in the preseason which scares me a little bit. But the Steelers will find away to use Miller in the redzone. The reason why he is not starting imo is because we are a run first team and Tuman is a great blocker.

Koopa
09-08-2005, 03:32 PM
i think heath will be starting by week 5 or 6, they are just keeping tuman as the starter till heath get more familiar with the play book and so he can get used to how meaningful nfl games flow and how fast they really are.

Cape Cod Steel Head
09-08-2005, 03:52 PM
I agree that its only pre season and all that ,but he has been getting alot of air under his balls. If he's going to throw an incompletion I'd rather it be a one hopper ala Kordell. They're much harder to intercept. As much as I hate to say it I think he's really going to miss Plax.

Black-n-Gold
09-08-2005, 04:10 PM
It's wierd, Roethlisberger has bad stats in preseason but the second string won almsot all the games and people don't think they're going anywhere because of it. On the other hand the Colts went 0/5 in the preseason and they're getting superbowl predictions? It may not mean the starters were in, but that means your second string can't get it done, where as all the steelers have shown was that their second string can win games. It may not mean anything, but when injuries start popping up it should show. People have too many predictions from the preseason, I can't wait until the season starts. I agree CCSH about the bad throws, the kind that remind me of Neil O'donnell. I believe he just needs to play more with the guys he has, and get used to the changes made.

Koopa
09-08-2005, 05:41 PM
it's just ppl hating on us. i hear all the same crap about the spurs, they are similar in ways, they both rely on defense and don't have flashy players or score a shitload of points, so the media always hates on them because they ain't marketable. i just don't see how winning games ain't marketable. but like with my spurs, all them haters will have a stupid look on their faces when the steelers are celebrating a championship.