PDA

View Full Version : Favre an Unhappy Camper?

fansince'76
05-13-2007, 06:17 PM
Anybody else aware of this? Appears that Favre's been quite angry for a couple of weeks that the Packers' FO couldn't/wouldn't pull off the Moss trade - this is the first I've heard of it (and besides, it seems like a nice temporary diversion from the Faneca mess):

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-packers-favresfrustration&prov=ap&type=lgns

Packers' Moss miss leaves Favre fuming, but did he ask out?

By CHRIS JENKINS, AP Sports Writer
May 13, 2007

MILWAUKEE (AP) -- The Green Bay Packers left Brett Favre fuming when they didn't pull off a trade for wide receiver Randy Moss during the NFL draft.

But was the three-time MVP angry enough to ask his way out of Green Bay?

Amid public grousing from Favre about the state of his team over the weekend, a report on the Fox Sports Web site, citing anonymous sources, said Favre's agent called Packers general manager Ted Thompson to request a trade a few days after last month's draft.

According to the report, Packers coach Mike McCarthy later called the quarterback and was able to calm his anger, getting Favre to admit that he didn't really want to play elsewhere.

In a statement posted on the Packers' Web site, Thompson said he would not address the specifics of the report but understood the frustration Favre vented in interviews over the weekend.

"I think it's natural for a player to be frustrated from time to time -- that's simply being human," Thompson said. "Everyone knows that Brett Favre is all about winning. As an organization, we share that commitment. And we want to win now."

Other Packers officials and Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook, did not return telephone messages from The Associated Press on Sunday.

The Packers' mandatory minicamp begins Friday, and it was not clear whether Favre, who had surgery to remove bone spurs from his left ankle in late February, would attend. McCarthy said during the team's rookie orientation last weekend that he expected Favre to be present, even if he wasn't able to practice while he continues to recover from the surgery.

Favre didn't mention anything about wanting a trade in interviews he conducted during his annual charity golf tournament in Tunica, Miss. on Saturday. But Favre did make it clear that he believed the Packers passed on a chance to make "a steal" of a deal for Moss, who instead was traded from Oakland to New England April 29.

"He was going to wipe his contract clean and sign for $3 million guaranteed, plus a fourth-round draft pick. That would have been a steal," Favre told the Biloxi (Miss.) Sun-Herald. "But we were not willing to guarantee part of that $3 million. I even had (Cook) call up there and tell them I would give up part of my salary to guarantee that part of the money. Apparently that wasn't enough either."

Favre, who has flirted with retirement during the past several offseasons, told the team in February that he would return for his 17th NFL season.

But he now wonders whether the Packers want to move on without him as part of a long-term rebuilding movement, a sentiment he has hinted at in the past. Thompson and McCarthy have consistently said that they want Favre to keep playing.

Favre said he has faith in the team's desire to win, but wonders whether the Packers won't become a contender again until after he retires. Green Bay improved from 4-12 in 2005 to 8-8 last season, but hasn't made any major additions through free agency.

"I don't know if I've lost faith, and I think everyone in the organization wants to win," Favre told the paper. "I just don't know if it includes me. If it's going to be five years from now, I'm not going to be here. This is 17 years for me and I want to win."

Thompson said he is optimistic about the team's chances to win right away. The Packers have locked up several of their own key defensive players to long-term deals this offseason, including cornerback Al Harris, linebacker Nick Barnett and defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins.

"We feel like we've had a great offseason program -- our guys are getting bigger and stronger -- and we'll improve from within," Thompson said. "We're also excited about the players we've added through the draft and what those players will bring to our team."

Edman
05-13-2007, 06:35 PM
Favre tarnished his image enough by holding the Packers hostage with his annual retirement limbo party. Now this garbage.

That's another -5 points respect for Favre on my respect meter.

fansince'76
05-13-2007, 06:38 PM
This is what gets me:

"He was going to wipe his contract clean and sign for $3 million guaranteed, plus a fourth-round draft pick. That would have been a steal," Favre told the Biloxi (Miss.) Sun-Herald.

Um, no Brett, that deal was exclusively for the Pats - for everyone/anyone else, Moss wasn't willing to budge on his $8 mil+ asking price.

Edman
05-13-2007, 06:49 PM
That alone was bad enough, but what gets me is the gall to ask for a trade. Who's gonna take him? Even worse, he hogtied the Packers Organization with the "Will I or won't I retire" mess, now he wants to be traded? The Packers drafted Aaron Rodgers in the first round a few drafts back, and he has sniffed very little of the start time.

I've lost a lot of respect for Brett. He's a future hall-of-fame QB, but this is ridiculous.

HometownGal
05-13-2007, 06:52 PM
If Favre wanted Moss so bad, why didn't he offer part of his salary to help pay for the huge contract Moss would have expected? Hey Brett - here it is for you in a nutshell. Until you are making front office decisions and/or signing paychecks..........

http://members.arstechnica.com/x/svdsinner/warm_cup_STFU.jpg

fansince'76
05-13-2007, 06:52 PM
That alone was bad enough, but what gets me is the gall to ask for a trade. Who's gonna take him? Even worse, he hogtied the Packers Organization with the "Will I or won't I retire" mess, now he wants to be traded? The Packers drafted Aaron Rodgers in the first round a few drafts back, and he has sniffed very little of the start time.

I've lost a lot of respect for Brett. He's a future hall-of-fame QB, but this is ridiculous.

I agree - they should have started working Rodgers into the lineup two years ago instead of rotting on the bench. Playing him now would be like starting a brand new rookie. Sentimentality screwed the Packers in this case.

The Duke
05-13-2007, 06:54 PM

I haven't lost respect for him yet, but I'm surprised by his actions, everybody in Green Bay loves this guy, I know he likes to win but what he's doing is too much. Hey maybe the packers could even get Keyshawn Johnson :thumbsup:

Atlanta Dan
05-13-2007, 07:08 PM
Maybe Brett should call Belichick if he wants to play with Moss; based on the Seau signing if you are a HOF candidate but should have retired 5 years ago New England is the place to be this fall.

fansince'76
05-13-2007, 07:13 PM
Maybe Brett should call Belichick if he wants to play with Moss; based on the Seau signing if you are a HOF candidate but should have retired 5 years ago New England is the place to be this fall.

Only problem there is Brady - maybe Favre could have a little arsenic slipped into his food at the training table. I doubt his ego would ever allow him to ride pine anywhere. If it did, and he actually had the Pack's best interests at heart, it seems to me he would have accepted a reduced role over the last 2 years while Rodgers took more of the reps.

PisnNapalm
05-13-2007, 08:38 PM
Farve should have retired 5 years ago. I'm sick of him.

PAMillerGrrl83
05-13-2007, 09:51 PM
All I can say about Favre is BLAH BLAH BLAH get over yourself.

Livinginthe past
05-14-2007, 01:21 AM
I think Moss to the Packers would have been a disaster - from a personal statistic perspective I think Randy would have done well - Favre throws a very good 40 yard jump ball.....

And interceptions don't show up on a WR's stats do they?

The thing is Green Bay is not close to challenging for a division title let alone a SuperBowl and thats where the problem lies.

Moss knows he may not get as many 'looks' in New England as he would have done in Green Bay but he knows he has a much better chance of enhancing his reputation as one of the games winners by taking home a ring.

silver & black
05-14-2007, 05:21 AM
I think Moss to the Packers would have been a disaster - from a personal statistic perspective I think Randy would have done well - Favre throws a very good 40 yard jump ball.....

And interceptions don't show up on a WR's stats do they?

The thing is Green Bay is not close to challenging for a division title let alone a SuperBowl and thats where the problem lies.

Moss knows he may not get as many 'looks' in New England as he would have done in Green Bay but he knows he has a much better chance of enhancing his reputation as one of the games winners by taking home a ring.

Only time will tell whether Moss will be a disaster for the Pats as well. I know you think otherwise, but..................

You might not want to get fitted for a ring just yet... there are 31 other teams that might have something to say about it, and it is a long season... things happen, no matter how good it looks on paper.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-14-2007, 09:09 AM
Yo LITP!

The best fit for Moss was New England.They have the best people in place to keep Randy Moss a good citizen and a good teammate.Bellichick,Brady,Seymour,Harrison,Bruschi ...they won't let him get away with his crap.

Then again,a lot of people thought the same thing with Dennis Green in Minnesota,but Moss was Moss.So there is the chance that he'll bomb out and ruin the Patriots.Better not let Randy and Merriweather hang out together,it could end up bad.

83-Steelers-43
05-14-2007, 11:15 AM
I'm a Favre fan. I respect and love the way he has played the game over his career, but in this situation he should keep his mouth shut. I love it when athletes who are paid to play the game also seem to think that they are part owners......

"I wanted Moss, :blah:"

"I wanted Grimm, :blah:"

"You should not have let Porter go, :blah:"

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Why not start a team full of whining players...who think they are underpaid..under appreciated...and misunderstood!!!!

I already have the perfect coach for them....but the seahawks have him tied down with a contract.

Livinginthe past
05-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Only time will tell whether Moss will be a disaster for the Pats as well. I know you think otherwise, but..................

You might not want to get fitted for a ring just yet... there are 31 other teams that might have something to say about it, and it is a long season... things happen, no matter how good it looks on paper.

The thing is, as I see it, Moss was a 'disaster' in Oakland for a number of reasons.

1.There is a lack of discipline and leadership running from top to bottom in the organisation.

2. Oakland is a bad team with an awful offense - I think its fair to say that New England is a good team with a good offense.

3. The Raiders had alot invested in the Randy Moss experience - a 7th round overall pick (plus a LBer) is a heavy debt to repay which meant they gave Moss too much leeway to act out when things didn't go his way.

Randy Moss in New England might not work out, hell it might even be cut short by the end of TC if he doesn't fit in, but he will never be allowed to drag the team down around him.

The minute Moss steps out of line and becomes a burden to the franchise he will be gone - Doug Gabriel found that out to his cost.

Therefore I cannot envisage a way that this move will cost the Patriots anything more than a wasted 4th rounder.

ps. You wont catch me crowing about the Patriots' chances of winning it all this year - I was only stating that we are a better bet to win it all than Green Bay.

You can't take anything for granted in football.

Livinginthe past
05-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Yo LITP!

The best fit for Moss was New England.They have the best people in place to keep Randy Moss a good citizen and a good teammate.Bellichick,Brady,Seymour,Harrison,Bruschi ...they won't let him get away with his crap.

Then again,a lot of people thought the same thing with Dennis Green in Minnesota,but Moss was Moss.So there is the chance that he'll bomb out and ruin the Patriots.Better not let Randy and Merriweather hang out together,it could end up bad.

I think the major thing with Moss will be a change of attitude on his behalf - he sounds like an intelligent (if immature at times) sort of guy.

The vets will be there to offer guidance but I don't think they will be baby sitting him.

Merriweather is a young man who made a mistake - without a doubt it was a shameful cowardly attack he committed on the field, but I don't see it as part of an emerging pattern.

By the same token, Moss isn't a thug by any stretch of the imagination, just immature when things dont go his way - so I don't see them hanging out would be a problem.

Like I said in the previous post, Moss will never be allowed to ruin the Patriots - 1st time he steps out of line he is gone.

The Patriots have made that very clear - we dont employ boy scouts in New England but we do expect everyone to pull in the same direction.

Worse case scenario - Moss gets cut during or after TC and we waste a 4th rounder.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-14-2007, 12:27 PM
....By the same token, Moss isn't a thug by any stretch of the imagination, just immature when things dont go his way - so I don't see them hanging out would be a problem.

....Squirting an official with a water bottle....running over a parking attendant....possession of marijuana...walking off the field before the game was over.....

Gotta be honest with ya LITP....you dont have to stretch your imagination very far before you think "THUG"

Livinginthe past
05-14-2007, 12:37 PM
....Squirting an official with a water bottle....running over a parking attendant....possession of marijuana...walking off the field before the game was over.....

Gotta be honest with ya LITP....you dont have to stretch your imagination very far before you think "THUG"

I'll give you the running over a parking attendant..the rest..?

Childish antics - my nephew loves squirting me with his water bottle - he is only 18 months old though :wink02:

Caught with a bit of weed? Thug behaviour? - i've smoked and im no thug.

Walking off the field early? The Patron Saint of Wide Receivers Marvin Harrison done just the same thing.

tony hipchest
05-14-2007, 12:49 PM
its up to moss to get his act straight. not the patriots. this myth that they have a magical elixir is getting old. he woulda fit in just as fine with the packers as he would with the patriots as long as hes the one giving the effort. i think this idea that moss only wanted to play for the only team capable of winning anything (the patriots) if fabricated by the fans of the franchise who want to annoint them with a golden football. packers mgmt screwed up the deal. moss woulda been more than happy with farve. even moss knows the nfc is wide open whereas theres a ton of roadblocks in the afc.

ChronoCross
05-14-2007, 12:51 PM
Frankly I am tired of hearing crying favre, unhappy favre. He needs to retire and get it over with. If its not one thing its another with Favre in the headlines. Its like a sick dog, someone should just shoot it and put it out of its misery.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-14-2007, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Livinginthepast I'll give you the running over a parking attendant..the rest..?

Childish antics - my nephew loves squirting me with his water bottle - he is only 18 months old though :wink02:

18 months =adorable.....25 years old=lugnut

Caught with a bit of weed? Thug behaviour? - i've smoked and im no thug.

I will refrain from answering this statement until your criminal history comes back.

Walking off the field early? The Patron Saint of Wide Receivers Marvin Harrison done just the same thing.

HEY NOW....Marvin was simply going to the locker room early... to complete the blessing on the communion that he conducts after each game!!!

Livinginthe past
05-14-2007, 01:37 PM
18 months =adorable.....25 years old=lugnut

Bwahaha - without a doubt :sofunny:

I will refrain from answering this statement until your criminal history comes back.

You are searching this right now? Is nothing sacred? Look let me get this out of the way now...that raincoat just fell open.....strong wind or something

HEY NOW....Marvin was simply going to the locker room early... to complete the blessing on the communion that he conducts after each game!!!

Well if you say so.........did he get Jim Sorgi to put it in Peytons mouth...so to speak?

ShutDown24
05-14-2007, 01:58 PM
If Favre wanted Moss so bad, why didn't he offer part of his salary to help pay for the huge contract Moss would have expected?

He did

83-Steelers-43
05-14-2007, 02:58 PM
Favre clears the air on trade speculation
ESPN.com news services

When the Packers failed to acquire Randy Moss, was Brett Favre angry enough to ask his way out of Green Bay? The three-time NFL MVP said no on Monday.

"I was frustrated a couple weeks back when Randy Moss was traded to New England. I never wanted to be traded and I don't want to be traded. I want to be in Green Bay," Favre said Monday in a statement posted on the team's Web site. "I want to finish my career as a Packer. Sometimes when I get frustrated I let my emotions get the better of me.

"As I said in February when I announced that I was coming back, I am excited about the young talent on our team and the improvements we're going to see from one year to the next. I really enjoy the young guys I'm playing with. I'm working hard down in Mississippi right now, rehabbing, and I plan to be in the best shape of my life. I look forward to playing with this team and seeing what we can do. I think we can be pretty good."

Amid public grousing from Favre about the state of his team over the weekend, a report on the Fox Sports Web site, citing anonymous sources, said Favre's agent called Packers general manager Ted Thompson to request a trade a few days after last month's draft.

According to the report, Packers coach Mike McCarthy later called the quarterback and was able to calm his anger, getting Favre to admit that he didn't really want to play elsewhere.

However, Favre's agent denied Monday that he demanded a trade on behalf of Favre.

"A trade has never been demanded and Brett Favre intends to be the quarterback of the Green Bay Packers," James "Bus" Cook, Favre's long-time agent, told ESPN's Chris Mortensen. "Otherwise, Brett said what he had to say."

However, a Packers source and a source close to Moss told ESPN that the discrepancies in negotiations were over two primary points of contention. The Packers wanted a two-year contract, whereas Moss wanted a one-year deal, which he received from the Patriots for a $3 million base salary and $2 million in incentives.

The Packers wanted to pay Moss $3.5 million in 2007, a team source told ESPN. But a source close to Moss said that only $1.9 million was guarateed in base salary with the remaining $1.6 million based on $100,000 bonuses for every game Moss was on the active 45-man roster. Moss rejected that offer, along with a second year on the contract proposal from the Packers.

The Packers' mandatory minicamp begins Friday, and it was not clear whether Favre, who had surgery to remove bone spurs from his left ankle in late February, would attend. McCarthy said during the team's rookie orientation last weekend that he expected Favre to be present, even if he wasn't able to practice while he continues to recover from the surgery.

Favre didn't mention anything about wanting a trade in interviews he conducted during his annual charity golf tournament in Tunica, Miss. on Saturday. But Favre did make it clear that he believed the Packers passed on a chance to make "a steal" of a deal for Moss, who instead was traded from Oakland to New England April 29.

"It is disappointing," Favre said on Saturday. "We could have gotten him for less money than New England did. He wanted to play in Green Bay for the amount of money we would have paid him. It [was] well worth the risk."

Favre, who has flirted with retirement during the past several offseasons, told the team in February that he would return for his 17th NFL season.

Favre apparently spoke with Moss on several occasions before the draft. Cook was once Moss' agent as well, and still retains a lesser role representing the wide receiver in contract negotiations. That connection, though, is believed to have played no part in Favre's desire to add Moss to the Packers' passing game.

Instead, the Green Bay quarterback merely felt Moss could still add an explosive dimension to the Packers' offense.

"The last thing I want to do is start any [controversy]," Favre said. "But I think he would have been a great addition. You throw Randy Moss, you throw [current starters] Donald Driver and Greg Jennings on the field at the same time, and go three-wide receiver set ... and I think it's pretty intimidating. And we lost out on that, and I think that it's a shame, because I know we could have had him."

Favre, 37, acknowledged the obvious, that he is nearing the end of his celebrated career, one that will someday earn him a spot in the Hall of Fame. But he emphasized that he can still perform at a high level and that he wants to finish his career a winner.

"I'm not getting any younger and I think everybody knows that," Favre said. "I don't have five years to rebuild. ... I don't know if I've lost faith, and I think everyone in the organization wants to win. I just don't know if it includes me. If it's going to be five years from now, I'm not going to be here. This is 17 years for me and I want to win [now]."

ESPN's Chris Mortensen, ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2869896

fansince'76
05-14-2007, 03:07 PM
Nice backpedal there, Brett. http://download.usenet-replayer.com/1/3/8/7/1166887831.2.gif

silver & black
05-14-2007, 03:29 PM
The thing is, as I see it, Moss was a 'disaster' in Oakland for a number of reasons.

1.There is a lack of discipline and leadership running from top to bottom in the organisation.

2. Oakland is a bad team with an awful offense - I think its fair to say that New England is a good team with a good offense.

3. The Raiders had alot invested in the Randy Moss experience - a 7th round overall pick (plus a LBer) is a heavy debt to repay which meant they gave Moss too much leeway to act out when things didn't go his way.

Randy Moss in New England might not work out, hell it might even be cut short by the end of TC if he doesn't fit in, but he will never be allowed to drag the team down around him.

The minute Moss steps out of line and becomes a burden to the franchise he will be gone - Doug Gabriel found that out to his cost.

Therefore I cannot envisage a way that this move will cost the Patriots anything more than a wasted 4th rounder.

ps. You wont catch me crowing about the Patriots' chances of winning it all this year - I was only stating that we are a better bet to win it all than Green Bay.

You can't take anything for granted in football.

Hopefully, #1 is a thing of the past, starting this year.

#2, no argument... again, hopefully, starting this year, Oakland will no longer be a bad team with an awful offense.

#3, no argument.

The thing everyone seems to be overlooking is that Randy Moss is what he is. A leopard does not change his spots. With all of his success in Minnesota, why did they get rid of him? Even though the situation in Oakland was a far cry from ideal, Randy was gotten rid of, as you said, at great cost. Why?

Maybe his antics won't be tolerated in New England and he will be gone... team #3... why?

I'll tell you why... Randy Moss, contrary to what has been said, is NOT a team player. He is a spoiled, selfish, unprofessional player, who only thinks about himself. Sure, he says he wants to win but, he won't put forth any effort to be a leader. He only wants to win if it under his terms. I'm sorry, but I don't see Randy working out on a team that is all about being a TEAM.

I can't figure out how anyone thinks Randy even fits into New England's system. The pats move the ball methodically, as opposed to how Moss likes to play, which is throw the ball deep and high and "I'll come down with it". Brady doesn't have the kind of arm to use Moss to his advantage. Moss lived on the sidelines in Minnesota, waitng for C-pep to hurl it up for grabs. He couldn't play like that in Oakland, for obvious reasons, so he quit and became a child... stomped his foot and went home with his ball because he didn't get his way. Maybe I'm totally off base, but I just don't think Randy is going to do anything for the pats.

polamalufan43
05-14-2007, 03:30 PM
It doesn't seem like Favre, but I guess anything's possible.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

HometownGal
05-14-2007, 04:39 PM

THUG isn't the word I was thinking of to describe Randy Moss. :chuckle:

HometownGal
05-14-2007, 04:41 PM
He did

I stand corrected - thanks! :smile: I speed read almost everything and miss a thing or two now and then.

tony hipchest
05-14-2007, 05:08 PM
I stand corrected - thanks! :smile: I speed read almost everything and miss a thing or two now and then.

http://www.thesunblog.com/sports/archives/dunce.jpg

:sofunny: lol! (j/k) :couch:

:banana:????? no?

not funny? :doh: :cya:

ChronoCross
05-14-2007, 07:28 PM
I am sorry coach I did not mean it that way;
http://www.familypoet.com/graphics/Cry-Baby.gif

PisnNapalm
05-14-2007, 09:46 PM
If I were Arron Rodgers I'd be demanding a trade. At this rate Farve will be in a wheel chair and Rodgers will still be riding the bench.

I've never been a fan of Farve. He always took too many chances and threw too many int's for my liking.

fansince'76
05-14-2007, 10:07 PM
If I were Arron Rodgers I'd be demanding a trade. At this rate Farve will be in a wheel chair and Rodgers will still be riding the bench.

I've never been a fan of Farve. He always took too many chances and threw too many int's for my liking.

He's too close to Marino's career yardage and TD records to hang the pads up now, which is the main reason, IMO, he didn't hang it up 3-4 years ago. Kinda like Emmitt Smith hung around simply to pass Payton, especially after Sanders hung them up early.

rbryan
05-14-2007, 10:11 PM
Favre has gone off the deep end. Why anybody would want Moss at all is beyond me. He was a cancer before he lost 2 steps and the heart to go across the middle. It won't take long for the "New Randy" to act like the same old Moss we've come to expect. Especially now that he thinks there is still someone else who wants him.

ShutDown24
05-14-2007, 11:23 PM

Lol, no problem, I just felt it was too important to leave uncorrected. That is an important thing about this that could change some opinions.

tony hipchest
05-14-2007, 11:45 PM
i laugh at all the haters who call for farve to retire. at 37 years old, i dont care who approves of my my job performance. if i love what i am doing, and my employers are gonna still pay me millions of dollars a year to do my job, i will continue to do it, no matter what anyone says.

ChronoCross
05-14-2007, 11:50 PM
i laugh at all the haters who call for farve to retire. at 37 years old, i dont care who approves of my my job performance. if i love what i am doing, and my employers are gonna still pay me millions of dollars a year to do my job, i will continue to do it, no matter what anyone says.

I think all the negative about favre comes from himself putting his own words of retirement into the lime light. Holding Greenbay hostage wether he plays are retires. At one point they thought he would so they drafted a QB to replace him when it was time and now it just goes year after year of him saying I might, crying at his last game and on tv like it might be then he turns around and plays again, going on for a few years now. I think most are thinking in the lines he is holding the team back.

tony hipchest
05-14-2007, 11:55 PM
I think all the negative about favre comes from himself putting his own words of retirement into the lime light. Holding Greenbay hostage wether he plays are retires. At one point they thought he would so they drafted a QB to replace him when it was time and now it just goes year after year of him saying I might, crying at his last game and on tv like it might be then he turns around and plays again, going on for a few years now. I think most are thinking in the lines he is holding the team back.if the team was getting rid of 2 of my guards, the center, the top wr, rb, and te, i would consider retiring too.

the packers arent exactly putting a team around him like the broncos did elway in his twilight (and farve had a front row seat for that). i can see why farve wanted to retire. but if i had his health and talent, they would have to drag me off the field on a stretcher. then again, thats just how much i love the game.

fansince'76
05-14-2007, 11:57 PM
I think all the negative about favre comes from himself putting his own words of retirement into the lime light. Holding Greenbay hostage wether he plays are retires.

I agree, Chrono - it's gotten to be an annual drama with the guy, and it's gotten old.

X-Terminator
05-15-2007, 03:32 AM
Drama queen...

SteelCzar76
05-15-2007, 06:43 AM

:sofunny: :sofunny: Once again Tone,.... your a glutton for punishment !:dang: :sofunny:

Crushzilla
05-15-2007, 09:31 AM
He's skipping mandatory minicamp this weekend for his daughter's graduation...

:old: Brett Farve.... too stubborn to just walk away and set the Packers free

:muhaha: Packers FO.... Too much marketability to let him walk away

:drool: Packers fans.... Too starstruck and nostalgic to realize how finished he is

Enjoy your record, Brett... you're killing Wisconsin

:old: + :muhaha: + :drool: = :splat:

Feelin a little Smile happy today...

ShutDown24
05-15-2007, 09:44 AM
Good post Crushzilla, Favre is becoming the Roger Clemens of the NFL.

PisnNapalm
05-15-2007, 10:31 AM
Good post Crushzilla, Favre is becoming the Roger Clemens of the NFL.

You can't say that... Clemens hops from team to team as a hired gun now. He's all about the money. Favre is only holding one team hostage.

rbryan
05-15-2007, 12:14 PM
Maybe the Patsies can sign Favre too. I heard MEEshawn is a possiblity, him and Candy Randy will get along swell. Sam Adams got cut yesterday, might as well bring him back too.

I can't wait to see Moss cause he Patsies to implode this year.

tony hipchest
05-15-2007, 01:28 PM
:old: Brett Farve.... too stubborn to just walk away and set the Packers free

:muhaha: Packers FO.... Too much marketability to let him walk away

:drool: Packers fans.... Too starstruck and nostalgic to realize how finished he is

Enjoy your record, Brett... you're killing Wisconsin

...farve is still the best qb in the nfc north. theres no way he shouldnt have the protection or weapons to contend in that division every year.

PisnNapalm
05-15-2007, 01:30 PM
farve is still the best qb in the nfc north. theres no way he shouldnt have the protection or weapons to contend in that division every year.

My dead grandmother would be a better qb than any of the NFC north choices. Let Rodgers have a shot.

ShutDown24
05-15-2007, 01:31 PM
farve is still the best qb in the nfc north. theres no way he shouldnt have the protection or weapons to contend in that division every year.

That's true.

You'r right,Clemens jumps between three teams holding them hostage, Favre only does one... for now :flap:

Lol, j/k I always liked Favre's style TBH

HometownGal
05-15-2007, 01:45 PM

:flap: :flap: :flap: :flap: :wink02: :cheers:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/57.jpg

tony hipchest
05-15-2007, 01:51 PM
:flap: :flap: :flap: :flap: :wink02: :cheers:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/57.jpg:sofunny: lmao :sofunny:

hey! no using my picture against me... oh wait.

i shoulda seen that coming :dang:

Edman
05-16-2007, 04:13 PM
People would ask why the Packers won't release him. Why? Packer fans love the guy, worship him as a diety, and he can do no wrong in the majority of the media. The Packers organization is truly being held hostage. Either they cut/bench Brett, but face major heat of many Packer fans or just let Brett do whatever the hell he wants, have another multi-INT season while they have their 1st Round pick QB rot on the bench for another year.

So much for thinking about retiring. Abandons his team in Mini-camp to plan for hs daugther's graduation. I mean, what the hell? Just retire, Brett.

But he won't. He knows he has the Packers org. in the palm of his hand and the public on his side, that's what makes this so sad.

Livinginthe past
05-16-2007, 04:40 PM
People would ask why the Packers won't release him. Why? Packer fans love the guy, worship him as a diety, and he can do no wrong in the majority of the media. The Packers organization is truly being held hostage. Either they cut/bench Brett, but face major heat of many Packer fans or just let Brett do whatever the hell he wants, have another multi-INT season while they have their 1st Round pick QB rot on the bench for another year.

So much for thinking about retiring. Abandons his team in Mini-camp to plan for hs daugther's graduation. I mean, what the hell? Just retire, Brett.

But he won't. He knows he has the Packers org. in the palm of his hand and the public on his side, that's what makes this so sad.

Sad for who, though?

The Packers fans and the FO have brought this all on themselves - if they wanted to get rid of Brett Favre and whatever he brings to the table they could have done it awhile back.

rbryan
05-16-2007, 06:21 PM
I know a few Packer fans who tell me that there are a lot of people in Green Bay who wouldn't be mad if Favre was cut. Brett is lucky he doesn't work for Tony Soprano.

Edman
05-16-2007, 09:49 PM
Sad for who, though?

The Packers fans and the FO have brought this all on themselves - if they wanted to get rid of Brett Favre and whatever he brings to the table they could have done it awhile back.

Sad for nobody, but the whole situation is sad. The Packers FO could've cut him seasons ago but didn't, in turn, Brett could've had the class to retire instead of bringing it into the limelight with his tearjerker interviews every other season. That's the "sad" part.

Either way, both sides are to fault for this. You're right.

GBMelBlount
05-16-2007, 10:48 PM
Sad for nobody, but the whole situation is sad. The Packers FO could've cut him seasons ago but didn't, in turn, Brett could've had the class to retire instead of bringing it into the limelight with his tearjerker interviews every other season. That's the "sad" part.

Either way, both sides are to fault for this. You're right.

Agreed. Regardless Edman, as you know, he will go down as one of the greatest QB's in history. And I will always see him that way. 100% heart!!!!!

tony hipchest
05-18-2007, 05:12 PM
farve clears things up

just saw clips of his presser on espn and it was classic. he said he had to be honest. he simply didnt want to attend the minicamps saying that this was his 17th year and theyre really kind of boring. he knows, theyre not gonna let him do much anyways.

he acknowledged he couldve made up excuses not to attend, but hes there now and ready to be the leader and great teammate hes always been.

i think about anyone else woulda stood up there and given some transparent bs story.

rbryan
05-19-2007, 10:39 AM
I'm pretty sure none of them want to be there. He still comes across in a negative light IMO. Just because he was honest doesn't make it better. He needs to pretend he's a football player instead of some prima dona celebrity whose every opinion needs to be expressed whenever theres a camera is in his face.

LambertIsGod58
05-20-2007, 08:43 AM
For a fan base that prides itself on being so intelligent, I can't believe what I've been reading. "Favre should have retired 5 years ago", shit like that. Are you serious? And crap like Aaron Rogers rotting on the bench? Hello people, I don't know of too many rookie QB's that get thrusted into a starting role when the team that drafts them still has a top 10 QB and top 10 QB of All-Time. I'd like you people to remove your head from your asses sometime before the season. You are the same people that can never say anything negative about the Rooney's or the Steelers organization. But you have plenty of room to open your traps about everything else. FAN does not equal unbridaled bias.

rbryan
05-20-2007, 09:47 AM
I don't remember anyone saying he should have retired 5 years ago. Maybe last year, and I don't doubt he is still better than a lot of other QB's in the league, let alone an unproven A Rodgers. Favre is putting his selfish need to be the center of attention above his team. He wasn't always that way, but it seems everytime he gets in front of a camera now he has something negative to say. Crying about not getting Randy Moss to the media?? (Lets forget for a minute that Moss is a turd and it would be a poor decision to sign him) Someone needs to explain to him that he's the QB not the GM.

This goes back to last year when there was a rumor the Packers might trade Rodgers for Moss, wonder who started that rumor??

I always liked Favre. I don't think anyone can dispute his legacy, but he's making it hard to be a fan of his.

fansince'76
05-20-2007, 10:48 AM
For a fan base that prides itself on being so intelligent, I can't believe what I've been reading. "Favre should have retired 5 years ago", shit like that. Are you serious? And crap like Aaron Rogers rotting on the bench? Hello people, I don't know of too many rookie QB's that get thrusted into a starting role when the team that drafts them still has a top 10 QB and top 10 QB of All-Time. I'd like you people to remove your head from your asses sometime before the season. You are the same people that can never say anything negative about the Rooney's or the Steelers organization. But you have plenty of room to open your traps about everything else. FAN does not equal unbridaled bias.

Rodgers is going into his 3rd year - how much playing time has he seen? And you're right, Favre is gonna be able to play forever, isn't he? Why did the 49ers push Montana, arguably the best QB of all time (forget simply top 10) out of the starting role and insert Steve Young, especially when Montana was still playing at a very high level (an even higher level than Favre is currently playing at)? That's right, because Montana wasn't going to be around forever. Besides, it would be nice for the Packers to find out NOW what they have in Rodgers instead of waiting until Favre walks out the door for good and then find out that Rodgers can't hang, wouldn't it? Please get a grip.

LambertIsGod58
05-20-2007, 12:29 PM
I don't remember anyone saying he should have retired 5 years ago. Maybe last year, and I don't doubt he is still better than a lot of other QB's in the league, let alone an unproven A Rodgers. Favre is putting his selfish need to be the center of attention above his team. He wasn't always that way, but it seems everytime he gets in front of a camera now he has something negative to say. Crying about not getting Randy Moss to the media?? (Lets forget for a minute that Moss is a turd and it would be a poor decision to sign him) Someone needs to explain to him that he's the QB not the GM.

This goes back to last year when there was a rumor the Packers might trade Rodgers for Moss, wonder who started that rumor??

I always liked Favre. I don't think anyone can dispute his legacy, but he's making it hard to be a fan of his.

If you read all the posts, you would see that the "Favre should have retired 5 years ago" post was made.

LambertIsGod58
05-20-2007, 12:33 PM
Rodgers is going into his 3rd year - how much playing time has he seen? And you're right, Favre is gonna be able to play forever, isn't he? Why did the 49ers push Montana, arguably the best QB of all time (forget simply top 10) out of the starting role and insert Steve Young, especially when Montana was still playing at a very high level (an even higher level than Favre is currently playing at)? That's right, because Montana wasn't going to be around forever. Besides, it would be nice for the Packers to find out NOW what they have in Rodgers instead of waiting until Favre walks out the door for good and then find out that Rodgers can't hang, wouldn't it? Please get a grip.

Hey tough guy, I never said Favre could play forever. Until the GB organization gets either the balls or brains to realize that they are not close to being contenders and have to rebuild, they are not gonna go with Rogers. They feel like they are contenders the way their team is stacked now. That means you go with the QB that gives you the best chance of winning.....and that is Favre!! Like it or not....Also Einstein, your Montana comparison failed miserably. Montana had Young, who already had PRO STARTING EXPERIENCE.

fansince'76
05-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Hey tough guy, I never said Favre could play forever. Until the GB organization gets either the balls or brains to realize that they are not close to being contenders and have to rebuild, they are not gonna go with Rogers. They feel like they are contenders the way their team is stacked now. That means you go with the QB that gives you the best chance of winning.....and that is Favre!! Like it or not....Also Einstein, your Montana comparison failed miserably. Montana had Young, who already had PRO STARTING EXPERIENCE.

You're right, Favre is definitely still in his prime. Whatever.

LambertIsGod58
05-20-2007, 12:40 PM
Great comeback....WHATEVER!! Did/can you read my last post?

fansince'76
05-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Great comeback....WHATEVER!! Did/can you read my last post?

Yes, and I disagreed with it. Moving on now.

LambertIsGod58
05-20-2007, 12:46 PM
Farve should have retired 5 years ago. I'm sick of him.

rbyran....here it is...The Favre should have retired 5 years ago" post....

fansince'76
05-20-2007, 02:42 PM
rbyran....here it is...The Favre should have retired 5 years ago" post....

Fair enough - 3 years ago then. Look at his numbers for '05 and '06 below (particularly his TD/INT ratio) and please explain how this is a QB who is NOT in decline?

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/Screenshot.jpg

Crushzilla
05-20-2007, 04:44 PM
I dunno fansince... the numbers don't look TOO atrocious over the last few years...

He hasn't really had the weapons lately...

INTs are bound to happen when you have a RB by committee in 2005 starring our current second option guy... Farve had to throw, look at the attempts

Now I'd like to contradict myself by agreeing that the Packers are taking NO steps to ensure the future of their francise behind center. Rodgers fell faster than Icarus a few years back and they have done nothing to capitalize on that...

EDIT P.S.: Walker went down week 1 in 2005 and left Driver as the only real threat. He has been since then. Its easy for a secondary when they know that there is only one real threat out there...

Elvis
05-21-2007, 07:04 AM
I for one, love Brett. He is the toughest QB to ever play the game, there is no doubt about this in my mind. If the Packers were to let him go they would be the 2nd dumbest team/org in the NFL, of course the Bengals are #1. The Packers need to make Favre happy, because he is like moma's all across the U.S. If moma aint happy, Nobody's Happy!!!
:tt02::tt02::tt02:

LambertIsGod58
05-26-2007, 12:38 PM
Fair enough - 3 years ago then. Look at his numbers for '05 and '06 below (particularly his TD/INT ratio) and please explain how this is a QB who is NOT in decline?

A declining Favre is still far and above a better choice than Rogers....He's still throwing for almost 4,000 yds a season. With a less than stellar offensive line, a RB by committee and no legitimate threat as a WR...Driver is the only serious option. INT's are up b/c he has to win games with his arm. Put Favre in SD, CHI or IND = SB win!!!

Godfather
05-27-2007, 06:55 PM
I'm a Brett fan too. He's overcome a lot of personal hardships and as wedosesteelers said, is one of the toughest QBs ever (I'd say McNair is a candidate for that title too). It's also hard not to like a QB who led Green Bay to success--you'd never see that in MLB.

Of course, Kiln is only about 2-3 miles from where I'm sitting right now, so that makes him easy to root for too. I hope he goes out with a respectable season as long as it isn't a Super Bowl win (which must be reserved for the Steelers).

LambertIsGod58
02-05-2008, 04:59 PM

Doesn't seem like Favre is in a decline to me....I must have watched someone else named Favre on the Packers this year.

fansince'76
02-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Doesn't seem like Favre is in a decline to me....I must have watched someone else named Favre on the Packers this year.

Nice necropost - funny how you didn't throw him under the bus for costing the Packers a trip to the SB....

LambertIsGod58
02-05-2008, 05:56 PM
It doesn't matter...Rodgers should have been playing this year. They would have won the whole thing with him....

LambertIsGod58
02-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Nice necropost - funny how you didn't throw him under the bus for costing the Packers a trip to the SB....

That's funny you'd say that...a declining Favre made it further than Ben did. Doesn't say much for what we should expect out of Ben, huh? Ben had a great playoff this year. 4 turnovers and sacked 6 times in his one and done. Favre in his playoff loss had only 2 turnovers and sacked ZERO times by the Giants defense. Who cost their team more? I guess I shouldn't even have to ask that one.....

Hines0wnz
02-05-2008, 06:25 PM
It doesn't matter...Rodgers should have been playing this year. They would have won the whole thing with him....

I doubt it. He needs a full season of starts under his belt to be ready to lead them to the promise land. :wink02:

Hines0wnz
02-05-2008, 06:34 PM

I definitely disagree. In '05, they had zero running game and were plagued by injuries. In '06, it was a young team with a new coach. I'm not saying this to give Favre a pass but to just look at his stats and say he is in decline is flat out wrong. If he was declining then how did they win more games this year than they did in '05 and '06 combined? If it wasnt for Brady being so out of his mind this past season, he would have been in the running for another MVP award.

LambertIsGod58
02-05-2008, 06:39 PM
I doubt it. He needs a full season of starts under his belt to be ready to lead them to the promise land. :wink02:

Hines...sorry about that. That post was a bad attempt at sarcasm.

Hines0wnz
02-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Hines...sorry about that. That post was a bad attempt at sarcasm.

haha...no worries man.

fansince'76
02-05-2008, 07:12 PM
That's funny you'd say that...a declining Favre made it further than Ben did. Doesn't say much for what we should expect out of Ben, huh? Ben had a great playoff this year. 4 turnovers and sacked 6 times in his one and done. Favre in his playoff loss had only 2 turnovers and sacked ZERO times by the Giants defense. Who cost their team more? I guess I shouldn't even have to ask that one.....

So every sack Ben takes is HIS fault and not his inept OL? All I need to read right there. Ben's D let him down and gave up a lead he largely helped engineer. Favre tossed the game-losing pick in OT. Sorry to disappoint you, but the FO is resigning Ben. And I was dead wrong last Spring about Favre - he still has it. I was being sarcastic as well as you seem to think Ben flat-out sucks solely because of one game (SB XL).

LambertIsGod58
02-06-2008, 06:00 AM
Apparently it's never his fault...he couldn't possibly hang onto the ball too long. My bad...You are right about the "D" letting us down. But I hardly think Ben did his part with 4 turnovers and 6 sacks. I'd also remind you that Ben had an INT returned for a TD. That lost us the game just as well as Favre's INT lost the game for GB. But, it's sad that your're hyping up Ben when he's no better than a 38 year old declining QB, in your opinion.

fansince'76
02-06-2008, 06:31 AM
Apparently it's never his fault...he couldn't possibly hang onto the ball too long. My bad...You are right about the "D" letting us down. But I hardly think Ben did his part with 4 turnovers and 6 sacks. I'd also remind you that Ben had an INT returned for a TD. That lost us the game just as well as Favre's INT lost the game for GB. But, it's sad that your're hyping up Ben when he's no better than a 38 year old declining QB, in your opinion.

Funny, I think it's sad you have to resurrect 9-month+ old threads to make your "point." :yawn:

BTW, he WAS better: 32 TDs/11 Ints to 28 TDs/15 INTs with 131 FEWER passes thrown = better, sorry. And yeah, he hangs onto the ball more than 3/10 of a second, which is about the extent his OL can hold their blocks (when they bother trying to block at all), so yeah, I guess it is all his fault. My bad. :yawn:

HometownGal
02-06-2008, 06:57 AM
Funny, I think it's sad you have to resurrect 9-month+ old threads to make your "point." :yawn:

BTW, he WAS better: 32 TDs/11 Ints to 28 TDs/15 INTs with 131 FEWER passes thrown = better, sorry. And yeah, he hangs onto the ball more than 3/10 of a second, which is about the extent his OL can hold their blocks (when they bother trying to block at all), so yeah, I guess it is all his fault. My bad. :yawn:

It's NOT Ben's fault. It's Arians fault. :wink02:

lilyoder6
02-06-2008, 09:50 AM
how can u say that farve is declining?? i mean he had a better season than most of the starting qb's on the season, if u have a line that gives u more than 1-2 secs to throw the ball anyone can throw it, but if u line barley blocks anyone any qb would have trouble throwing... so i guess farve is better than peyton manning and tony romo b/c he went farther in the playoffs???

fansince'76
02-06-2008, 09:52 AM
how can u say that farve is declining??

#1, please check the date of the post where I made that statement (last MAY). #2, I took it back and admitted I was wrong. The fact remains he wasn't exactly a world beater in the 2 seasons prior to this last one. 29 INTs in '05 against 20 TDs? Ben was crucified and declared a bust by MANY people for 23 INTs. And if he would have followed up the 23-INT season with a "break-even" season of 18 TDs/18 INTs (like Favre did in '06) this year, Ben would have been run out of town. The fact also remains that the Packers have a 1st round draft pick in Rodgers that continues to rot on the bench. I'm sorry, but I also have a problem being called out for "giving Bennie a pass" and supposedly not being objective when it comes to his performance, when others do the same damn thing for Favre.

The Duke
02-06-2008, 11:30 AM
It's NOT Ben's fault. It's Arians fault. :wink02:

:huh:

I thought it was willie's fault :toofunny:

LambertIsGod58
02-06-2008, 01:11 PM

I hope you are not deleting my posts as I'm quite confident that I already responding to this. Favre also threw for over 1,000 more yards, had a better completion % and sacked 16 times. 40 fewer than Ben. I'm sure those numbers must have gotten lost or something.

fansince'76
02-06-2008, 01:22 PM
I hope you are not deleting my posts as I'm quite confident that I already responding to this. Favre also threw for over 1,000 more yards, had a better completion % and sacked 16 times. 40 fewer than Ben. I'm sure those numbers must have gotten lost or something.

No, I haven't deleted your posts, but thanks for the accusation. How did you respond to this earlier? You mean last May when the thread was started and before the season was even played? Yeah, I would hope Favre had more yardage - he only had 131 more passes on the season. The sacks? Yep, couldn't be because Favre actually has a halfway competent OL in front of him, could it? Never mind that Ben was second only to Golden Boy in passer rating (yes, even better than Favre's), which is about as relevant as total yardage is.

Dynasty
02-06-2008, 03:02 PM
everyone knows yardage doesnt mean anything, its yards per attempt, and ben's was higher than brett's, i believe

LambertIsGod58
02-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Given the fact that GB went to the NFC Championship game...Favre had the better season. Losing to the World Champion Giants. And I hope we won't even try talking about anything else. Ben won't touch any of Favre's numbers career wise.

fansince'76
02-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Given the fact that GB went to the NFC Championship game...Favre had the better season. Losing to the World Champion Giants. And I hope we won't even try talking about anything else. Ben won't touch any of Favre's numbers career wise.

And by that rationale, Eli Manning had a better season than the league MVP Brady by winning the SB. You're right, this argument is pointless.

LambertIsGod58
02-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Even though I disagree with you concerning Ben, I respect your opinions. Well thought out and well spoken. As I said I just don't agree...that's all.

fansince'76
02-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Even though I disagree with you concerning Ben, I respect your opinions. Well thought out and well spoken. As I said I just don't agree...that's all.

It's all good - I respect your opinions as well. It'd be pretty boring around here if everybody agreed on everything. :cheers:

LambertIsGod58
02-06-2008, 03:57 PM
It's all good - I respect your opinions as well. It'd be pretty boring around here if everybody agreed on everything. :cheers:

Better write this down...we agree on something!! LOL!!!