PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin won't abandon principles of Steelers football

tony hipchest
05-14-2007, 09:57 AM
its hard not to get pumped after peter kings article on tomlin. long... so heres a few good quotes:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/05/13/steelers/index.html

PITTSBURGH -- Sitting in new coach Mike Tomlin's office the other day, I got the impression he will be about as meat-and-potatoes as any other coach in football. On the wall of his office are three blown-up Steelers prints.

One is an artsy, tight line-of-scrimmage shot from the 2006 preseason, with Vikings helmets butting up against Steelers helmets. "Beautiful,'' Tomlin said.

Two: Guard Alan Faneca is pulling on an end sweep, with tight end Jerame Tuman sealing off another block. "Power football,'' Tomlin said. That's beautiful.''

Three: A tight shot of Steelers Larry Foote, James Farrior, Bryant McFadden and Tyrone Carter surrounding Saints fullback Mike Karney and pile-driving him into the turf. I said to Tomlin, I can tell what kind of football you'll be playing in Pittsburgh. "You're the first one to notice that about these pictures,'' he said. "I wanted pictures of real football. That's the way I want this team to play.''

It's hard to come away from time with Tomlin and not think he's going to be a heck of a head coach. He's 35, and something about this job, in this city, with these nutty fans and these Super expectations should scare him. But nothing does.
"You might say Dick and I don't have much in common,'' Tomlin said, "but we both love football, and that's all we need. I love finding new ways to teach and learn, and it's amazing how much you can learn when you shut up and listen.''
I asked Tomlin if he had any trepidation, in his first shot as a head coach, in running a defense -- at least part of the time -- that he hasn't used before. "None whatsoever," he said. "For five years I was at the mecca of defense in Tampa [as secondary coach], first with Tony Dungy, then with Monte Kiffin when Tony got fired. Now I'm with the godfather of zone pressure. It doesn't get any better than this. I feel I've been exposed to the two most significant defensive schemes of the last 25 years. We'll figure out the best way to play defense with this team.''

coachspeak33
05-14-2007, 10:28 AM
its hard not to get pumped after peter kings article on tomlin. long... so heres a few good quotes:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/05/13/steelers/index.html

if even a small percentage of tomlins enthusiasm for the game rubs off on the players.... i envision a major increase in the players preparation and passion for the game....instead of persistent episodes of dazed sleep walking

Taking my current attitudes towards Art II into consideration.....i would guess Dan was behind tomlins hiring:wink02:

19ward86
05-14-2007, 11:35 AM
fullbacks name is dan kreider.....

tony hipchest
05-14-2007, 11:38 AM
fullbacks name is dan kreider.....

:huh: ...and?

83-Steelers-43
05-14-2007, 11:43 AM
If anything, I'm loving the way Tomlin is handling the Faneca situation. Quiet and laid back while realizing that it's between Faneca and the Rooney's. Saying and doing all the right things. For a rookie HC he's acting as if he's been through a few of these situations.

At the same time, once the season starts I do not believe he will be nearly as reserved and laid back when it comes to players crying and moaning over contracts, playing time and game or personnel decisions. He won't put up with that B.S. nor should he. I'm excited to see how he handles certain situations come September 9.

83-Steelers-43
05-14-2007, 11:48 AM
BTW, excellent read Tony and thanks.

TackleMeBen
05-14-2007, 12:12 PM
I am thrilled that we got Mikey T. He isnt going to let them get lazy and fat this season.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-14-2007, 12:13 PM
I like the fact that he is learning from Dick LeBeau instead of forcing his own defensive philosophies upon him.

Many times a head coach comes into a team,puffs out his chest,and forces things that don't need to be forces...at least at that time.Rookie HC's do it a lot because they want to establish it as thier team.

Tomlin has done none of that,which I really like.He's letting the Steelers play to thier strengths instead of forcing things upon them that will make them weaker.

Will he end up with a 4-3 Cover 2 scheme some day?It's very possible that he will.But he's going to let that be a transition and not a force-on.

Who knows,maybe after a year or two in LeBeau's 3-4 Zone Blitz,he'll just stick with it and not change defensive philosophies.

Mosca
05-14-2007, 01:19 PM
Re 4-3 and 3-4: Mary Joan & I went to see Charlie Weis speak last week, it was her birthday present from me. One of the questions from te audience was about the 4-3 and 3-4, and his answer was that 3-4 and 4-3 are misconceptions; what you actually have are personnel groups. Then he used the Steelers as an example; the Steelers have a 3-4 personnel group, but for years they've taken that group and lined them up in a 4-3, which gives them great flexibility and gives the offense a lot of indecision before the snap.

He also told a good story about coming into Pittsburgh after winning 27 straight and then losing.... the man has some serious respect for the Steelers, I'll tell you.

Tom

Edman
05-14-2007, 01:38 PM
That's the spirit, Mike! Physical Steelers Football!

yinzer-inseattle
05-14-2007, 02:36 PM
Who knows,maybe after a year or two in LeBeau's 3-4 Zone Blitz,he'll just stick with it and not change defensive philosophies.

Who knows. We could be witnessing the birth of something new on defense. Maybe not an entirely new scheme, but something unique in how the scheme(s) is/ are executed. With Tomlin and LeBeau brainstorming that's not out of the question.

I also really liked the snippet on Tomlin taking notes from LeBeau. How many HC's have the humilty, smarts and focus to do that? He's setting the tone for everyone. The whole team will improve and grow from this.

This guy is a winner!

FastWillieParker39
05-14-2007, 04:39 PM
After everything I hear about Tomlin, I understand why the Steelers hired him. It's going to be fun the next several years or so watching him as our head coach. With Tomlin I have a lot of confidence we will be back in the playoffs this year!

polamalufan43
05-14-2007, 04:55 PM
Good to hear from him again. I think he'll do fine. His ethusiasim(spl) is uplifting, thank god. And I can see success for him. But I guess we will really see on opening day.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

tony hipchest
05-14-2007, 04:58 PM
the relationship tomlin and lebeau seem to be building (atleast their working relationship) is one of the reasons a give tomlin an A so far. th image of tomlin taking notes and learning from a veteran is refreshing.

when hired, i expected tomlin to let lebeau go or for him to step down. it wouldve been easy for lebeau to think "i aint gonna be bossed around by some young kid", or for tomlin to think "im not gonna try and pave my own way in this goats shadow":old:.

and it has really been the complete opposite. lebeau almost seems to be taking on a mentors role (and he will be a fine one) and seems rejeuvinated. tomlin has entered with no ego, and has proven he is willing to put the TEAM 1st. if this isnt an act of leadership to the players, i dont know what is.

dick is a huge resevoir of knowledge for tomlin to tap into, and his experience (as a HC and coordinator) is gonna be invaluable for tomlin to develop into a great coach. when it comes time for his induction and to don the yellow jacket he may have a tough decision to present him- Master Dungy or Godfather Lebeau.

(ok, its only may 14th)

Crushzilla
05-14-2007, 04:59 PM
Who knows. We could be witnessing the birth of something new on defense. Maybe not an entirely new scheme, but something unique in how the scheme(s) is/ are executed. With Tomlin and LeBeau brainstorming that's not out of the question.

I also really liked the snippet on Tomlin taking notes from LeBeau. How many HC's have the humilty, smarts and focus to do that? He's setting the tone for everyone. The whole team will improve and grow from this.

This guy is a winner!

So many slam on the Rooneys for their conservative signings, but they seem to generally pick up solid personel and players...

Who needs a drama-queen... especially one who wants $24 million over the first three years for b**ching about coaching hires and playing with rookies... not naming any names...

FastWillieParker39
05-14-2007, 05:03 PM
So many slam on the Rooneys for their conservative signings, but they seem to generally pick up solid personel and players...

I agree Crush. Lets see the Rooneys have helped the Steelers be one of the most storied franchises in not only football but sports in general. Also, they have helped the Steelers be a Super Bowl contender almost every year. Plus add the fact that they have helped us win 5 Super Bowls and I don't know why people slam the Rooneys.

stillers4me
05-14-2007, 05:40 PM
PITTSBURGH -- Sitting in new coach Mike Tomlin's office the other day, I got the impression he will be about as meat-and-potatoes as any other coach in football. On the wall of his office are three blown-up Steelers prints.

One is an artsy, tight line-of-scrimmage shot from the 2006 preseason, with Vikings helmets butting up against Steelers helmets. "Beautiful,'' Tomlin said.

Two: Guard Alan Faneca is pulling on an end sweep, with tight end Jerame Tuman sealing off another block. "Power football,'' Tomlin said. That's beautiful.''

Three: A tight shot of Steelers Larry Foote, James Farrior, Bryant McFadden and Tyrone Carter surrounding Saints fullback Mike Karney and pile-driving him into the turf. I said to Tomlin, I can tell what kind of football you'll be playing in Pittsburgh. "You're the first one to notice that about these pictures,'' he said. "I wanted pictures of real football. That's the way I want this team to play.''

It's hard to come away from time with Tomlin and not think he's going to be a heck of a head coach. He's 35, and something about this job, in this city, with these nutty fans and these Super expectations should scare him. But nothing does.

Wow.......that gave me chills.

So I'm weird.

FastWillieParker39
05-14-2007, 05:45 PM

Wow.......that gave me chills.

So I'm weird.

Once again the Steelers did a AWESOME job at picking this guy. Trust me you're not the only one that got chills.

HometownGal
05-14-2007, 05:48 PM
"You might say Dick and I don't have much in common,'' Tomlin said, "but we both love football, and that's all we need. I love finding new ways to teach and learn, and it's amazing how much you can learn when you shut up and listen.''

How can anyone not admire and love this guy? The Tomlinator just continues to amaze me with his candor, attitude and most of all - his top-rate professionalism. :thumbsup:

I can't wait to watch him with the team at camp! Dayum - I wish it would hurry up and get here already! :banana:

Stlrs4Life
05-14-2007, 06:09 PM
Re 4-3 and 3-4: Mary Joan & I went to see Charlie Weis speak last week, it was her birthday present from me. One of the questions from te audience was about the 4-3 and 3-4, and his answer was that 3-4 and 4-3 are misconceptions; what you actually have are personnel groups. Then he used the Steelers as an example; the Steelers have a 3-4 personnel group, but for years they've taken that group and lined them up in a 4-3, which gives them great flexibility and gives the offense a lot of indecision before the snap.

He also told a good story about coming into Pittsburgh after winning 27 straight and then losing.... the man has some serious respect for the Steelers, I'll tell you.

Tom

Neet story Mosca.

Preacher
05-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Of course, this is only the offseason. Tomlin has done nothing of record yet.

However, he seems to be the perfect fit... and I hope will have a LONG run as head coach in Pittsburgh.

Heck. I have now seen three head coaches in Pitt during my days of fandom.. That is enough!!!

tony hipchest
05-14-2007, 08:48 PM
while tomlin has done nothing of record yet, im pretty sure if the rooneys hired saban or art shell, we would know they suck by now.

infact, while the early debate was tomlin vs. rivera, i can definitely say the rooneys picked the right candidate. and while wade philips may be great for the cowboys, he's too much of a T.O. kiss-ass for steelerfans taste. nothing that cameron or petriono has done to this point is too impressive. norv turner is just a figurehead who just has to steer the ship. maybe its just the infusion of youth, but only tomlin (and to a lesser degree kiffen) seem to be the "grab the bull by the horns" type coaches we saw with s. payton and e. mangini last year. and they had no pressure whatsoever to guage them by.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-14-2007, 08:57 PM
I'm liking Kiffin too.I thought he was just going to be another Al Davis puppet,but I think he's going to be the real deal in Oakland and hated by the rest of that division in 3 years.

Preacher
05-14-2007, 09:00 PM
while tomlin has done nothing of record yet, im pretty sure if the rooneys hired saban or art shell, we would know they suck by now.

infact, while the early debate was tomlin vs. rivera, i can definitely say the rooneys picked the right candidate. and while wade philips may be great for the cowboys, he's too much of a T.O. kiss-ass for steelerfans taste. nothing that cameron or petriono has done to this point is too impressive. norv turner is just a figurehead who just has to steer the ship. maybe its just the infusion of youth, but only tomlin (and to a lesser degree kiffen) seem to be the "grab the bull by the horns" type coaches we saw with s. payton and e. mangini last year. and they had no pressure whatsoever to guage them by.

I agree with you...

I am just temporing myself before I grant him HOF status... that comes after teh first win!!

fansince'76
05-14-2007, 09:04 PM
So far Tomlin's said all the right things and as far as I'm concerned, passed his first test. His handling of Faneca's temper tantrum has been nothing short of commendable.

FastWillieParker39
05-14-2007, 09:33 PM
Thinking about it he must be doing something right for us Steeler fans to very happy with him :tt02:

tony hipchest
05-16-2007, 09:41 AM
from tuesdays follow up:STEELER NATION MAY SIDE WITH FANECA. From Melissa Pust of Pittsburgh: "Great story on Mike Tomlin -- enjoyed hearing that he is ready to work and think he'll bring a freshness to the Steelers. That being said, don't be too surprised if the fans here support Faneca. You'll recall that when Hines Ward was redoing his contract the fans were vocal that the team pay him more money. Do you think they can get a deal done or is Faneca already packing up his locker for greener ($$$) pastures?"

After spending time with Tomlin, I found it extremely interesting that he has this "what-me-worry" attitude about Faneca's contract situation. Tomlin told me that when you've been a position coach in pro football for a while (and for five years he was Tampa Bay's secondary coach before moving to Minnesota as defensive coordinator in 2006), you constantly hear players moan about their contracts. He told me he listened to Ronde Barber and Brian Kelly, Bucs cornerbacks, complain about being underpaid for two years and it's just a way of life in the modern NFL.

Regarding Faneca, he simply feels there's no need to create a problem before one surfaces. If Faneca isn't there at the start of training camp, that's when Tomlin is going to start worrying about it. Not before then. This is a good attitude for a coach in 2007, because there's nothing Tomlin can do to make Faneca happy other than to pay him $7 million. Maybe the Steelers will, eventually. Faneca is a great player. But every contract impacts every other contract. And with Troy Polamalu and Ben Roethlisberger deals to be made in the next year or so, the Steelers are going to have to be picky about who they make gazillionaires.

SKEPTICAL ABOUT THE MERGING OF DEFENSES. From Tim of Harleysville, Pa.: "I am extremely excited about the Tomlin era in Pittsburgh, but I am just a little uneasy about how this defensive structure is going to work out. Will Tomlin play the "head coach" role and allow Dick LeBeau to run the 3-4? Will he micro-manage, cause problems and then switch to his beloved 4-3? Can you realistically merge the two into some kind of cohesive and effective package? Something in my gut tells me the defensive schemes at the onset could cause problems."

For now LeBeau is going to call the defenses and the Steelers are going to stick largely to a base 3-4, capitalizing on LeBeau's blitzing tendencies. Tomlin is open-minded about using the 3-4 and having it morph into his 4-3, depending on down and distance. I think the future will depend on how the Steelers are playing on defense. If Pittsburgh is a top-10 defense, Tomlin's going to give LeBeau the freedom to play defense his way.

fansince'76
05-16-2007, 09:44 AM
STEELER NATION MAY SIDE WITH FANECA

I can think of at least one member of that nation who isn't. Besides, it's not an issue of Faneca vs. Tomlin, it's an issue of Faneca vs. the Rooneys. Tomlin doesn't and will not be signing the paychecks, last I checked.

FastWillieParker39
05-16-2007, 03:15 PM
If I were Tomlin, I would take a drive with Faneca to downtown Pittsburgh. Then I would tell him to complain to some homeless people that live in Pittsburgh of how your not getting paid enough. Tell him even though he is making millions upon millions a year to complain to homeless people why he is not getting enough.