PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Ass Gasoline Boycott

RoethlisBURGHer
05-14-2007, 09:30 PM
Tomorrow is supposed to be the nationwide gasoline boycott.People actually think that not getting gasoline is going to make the companies lower gas prices.

Many people were FILLING UP TODAY so they can boycott tomorrow.

Those that didn't FILL UP TODAY will have to FILL UP ON WEDNSDAY,no matter the gas price.

A one day boycott won't do anything.Hell,the companies might jack the prices up even more because you gotta get gasoline sometime,and you will pay whatever they charge you.

If people really want to change the gas price,everyone would have to change thier lifestyle.Walk,ride a bike,or take the bus to most places.However,it's too inconvienent to do that in today's world.

So all these people are going to do is make my day at work tomorrow very boring.

PisnNapalm
05-14-2007, 09:39 PM
I fill up once every other week usually. Gotta love being only 5 miles from work.

tony hipchest
05-14-2007, 09:47 PM
the oil companies wont let their extreme profit margins dip. they are living to high on the hog. if gasoline consumption is reduced by half, the prices will only double.

suitanim made a great post about a year ago, stating how last years extreme increase and then decrease (under the guise of "we are at war") was pretty much a ploy. just a test of the market as a sign of things to come and something to soften the blow of regular prices of $3.00+/gallon.

big oil is gonna keep milking this for all its worth, knowing the lobbyists cant keep down, newer, much more efficient and cheaper technology forever.

GBMelBlount
05-14-2007, 09:59 PM
That's funny, the government makes an average of 50 cents per gallon in taxes on gas....for doing nothing.. compared to the 8 cents per gallon the oil compnies profit. If you want to be honest, ask the idiots who haven't let us build a refinery in 30 years & only let us drill on only 15 percent of our continental shelf, (while the chinese are taking are oil our) why the oil prices are so high. I love being dependent on the middle east. Meanwhile Teddy won't let us do wind energy of Martha's vineyard because it affects his "view" Thanks.

Borski
05-14-2007, 10:04 PM
Well I wont be buying tomorrow...but thats only cause my gas needs no fuel. theres no way a 1 day boycott will do anything, most people don't fill up more then once a week anyway.

fansince'76
05-14-2007, 10:09 PM
That's funny, the government makes an average of 50 cents per gallon in taxes on gas....for doing nothing..

Gotta pay to keep the EPA running somehow....

GBMelBlount
05-14-2007, 10:10 PM
"if consumption is reduced by half, the prices will only double.

Are you talking about gas prices or taxes in Allegheny county?

verks36
05-14-2007, 10:12 PM
That's funny, the government makes an average of 50 cents per gallon in taxes on gas....for doing nothing.. compared to the 8 cents per gallon the oil compnies profit. If you want to be honest, ask the idiots who haven't let us build a refinery in 30 years & only let us drill on only 15 percent of our continental shelf, (while the chinese are taking are oil our) why the oil prices are so high. I love being dependent on the middle east. Meanwhile Teddy won't let us do wind energy of Martha's vineyard because it affects his "view" Thanks.

Yo we dont need to be mining up for oil in alaska keep them out of it.

First off i hate being dependent on those towel head middle easterns. They are getting rich on are money. A one day boycott wont do shitt.

If we want to start changing then it starts with ethanol. I have just wrote a term paper on this exact subject. THere are huge ethanol plants in Brazil and they will be the Next middle east for oil. By the year 2012 all cars will have an ethanol option to run gas. The only problem with ethanol is that it we raise food prices.

tony hipchest
05-14-2007, 10:18 PM
Are you talking about gas prices or taxes in Allegheny county?im talking about gas prices as a whole. if consumption was reduced in half, the oil companies would have to double the price to maintain current profit margins.

which would benefit them in the long run because then they would have twice the ammount of reserves to milk. gas prices arent gonna get cheaper.

too many people have too much on the line to see a new energy rescource take over. theres no way they will let billions of gallons of oil sit in the earth, only for it to become obsolete. all the oil must be used and all the profits must be made before another energy source is allowed to take over.

Atlanta Dan
05-14-2007, 10:21 PM
Gotta pay to keep the EPA running somehow....

And the Saudi and Iranian theocracies

GBMelBlount
05-14-2007, 10:29 PM
im talking about gas prices as a whole. if consumption was reduced in half, the oil companies would have to double the price to maintain current profit margins.

which would benefit them in the long run because then they would have twice the ammount of reserves to milk. gas prices arent gonna get cheaper.

too many people have too much on the line to see a new energy rescource take over. theres no way they will let billions of gallons of oil sit in the earth, only for it to become obsolete. all the oil must be used and all the profits must be made before another energy source is allowed to take over.

Tony, I have heard that many times, it scares me. I don't understand, are the oil companies more powerful than our government, the president, and these groups that are, let us say, "anti oil?" Reminds me of the book"The Prize."

fansince'76
05-14-2007, 10:34 PM
....are the oil companies more powerful than our government, the president, and these groups that are, let us say, "anti oil?"

Considering Big Oil has the financial resources and lobbying power to keep Congress in their hip pocket, it's not a stretch by any means to think they are.

GBMelBlount
05-14-2007, 10:38 PM
If that is true, it is a travesty. I wonder if Attorneys, Environmentalists, Pro choicers, & save whale groups have strong lobbying groups that are fully supported by the media?

tony hipchest
05-14-2007, 10:45 PM
If that is true, it is a travesty.even our president has been involved in oil longer than he has politics. (not laying blame, just making a point)

g-dub says- "save the whales, ride a cowboy"

fansince'76
05-14-2007, 10:50 PM
g-dub says- "save the whales, ride a cowboy"

I always thought it went "Save the whales, harpoon a fat chick." However, anybody who pronounces "nuclear" as "nucular," and "America" as "Amurica," would probably screw that quote up as well. :chuckle:

Preacher
05-15-2007, 01:09 AM
I always thought it went "Save the whales, harpoon a fat chick." However, anybody who pronounces "nuclear" as "nucular," and "America" as "Amurica," would probably screw that quote up as well. :chuckle:

Funny thing...

Nobody talks about how he sits around quoting the ancients like Cicero..

but he actually does that too.

MasterOfPuppets
05-15-2007, 01:09 AM
Yo we dont need to be mining up for oil in alaska keep them out of it.

First off i hate being dependent on those towel head middle easterns. They are getting rich on are money. A one day boycott wont do shitt.

If we want to start changing then it starts with ethanol. I have just wrote a term paper on this exact subject. THere are huge ethanol plants in Brazil and they will be the Next middle east for oil. By the year 2012 all cars will have an ethanol option to run gas. The only problem with ethanol is that it we raise food prices.

you do know that the government pays some farmers to not grow crops....

X-Terminator
05-15-2007, 03:22 AM
As most here have said, a one-day boycott of gas isn't going to force the oil companies and the government to stop gouging us for every cent we have. The only way to break their backs is to develop alternative sources of energy, not just for cars but for other everyday uses such as supplying electricity to our homes/businesses. The thing is, we have the ability and the technology right now to do this - ethanol is certainly an option, as is biodiesel and hydrogen-based engines for cars, for example. Nuclear fusion power plants are another example - nuclear fusion is clean and does not produce radioactive waste like the current nuclear fission (splitting of the atom) plants. But so long as the oil lobby remains powerful, none of these alternatives will ever become mainstream.

Crushzilla
05-15-2007, 07:13 PM
My mother needed my car so I had her Cadillac and it was low on fuel...

I had no choice... My friend's busted my balls about it

Even worse is that her car takes WAY more gas than mine... dupped by the old lady again...

Ryan 2
Cam Cameron 0
My mom 1

Stlrs4Life
05-15-2007, 08:17 PM
tony, I can see your point, but cutting consumption would lower the prices on gas. Maybe no drastic drop, but a lot better than $3.30/gallon.

we need to stop this country for a week, and see if they are hit hard. Nobody go to work for a week. Shut the entire country down.

rbryan
05-19-2007, 08:43 AM
If you want to become richer than your wildest dreams, come up with a vehichle that runs on anything but gas and see how long it takes for Exxon to buy the patent from you. For anyone who thinks big oil doesn't run this country ponder this. Do you really think we could put a man on the moon yet not engineer a car that doesn't run on gas?? Bush and Kerry were the two best candidates for president ?? Get ready for another Republican president, the biggest supporters of Hillary Clinton and this Osama guy from Chicago right now are the Republicans. Do the democrats actually believe either one of those two are gonna be the next president? What a joke. We might as well have no voting rights at all.

Don't get me wrong. I love this country and don't want to be anywhere else. I've seen the rest of the world, no thanks (6 years USMC) But this is just wrong. No wonder people want to just bury thier head in the sand. Its not surprising that people feel that thier vote means nothing.

steeler-dude
05-20-2007, 12:45 AM
we need to stop this country for a week, and see if they are hit hard. Nobody go to work for a week. Shut the entire country down.

That's the best idea I have heard.