PDA

View Full Version : What is up with Ben

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
05-14-2007, 10:50 PM
FNS they had a clip of a reporter asking Ben to compare both coaches style. Considering the last comment Ben made about Cowher and hearing this one it looks like when Ben is given the chance he's taking shots at Cowher.

"...he's (tomlin)still a really good guy. You don't see him scream and yell, he likes to have fun with the guys and I think the guys are more receptive to that. They feel more comfortable being able to communication with that type of coaching. I think he knows how to get across to the guys, the best way and he's doing a good job of it."

...I didn't realize that Ben was "grading" Tomlin's performance as a coach. Weird.

fansince'76
05-14-2007, 10:51 PM
A reporter asked Ben a question, Ben answered it. Moving along....

tony hipchest
05-14-2007, 11:10 PM
cowher seems to have a coaching style similar to parcels or j. johnson, where they can be great buddies with the veterans, yet be hard assed with all the rookies and youngsters. i would say tomlins style is more similar to vermiel or dungy where there are no obvious favorites and all are treated equal and as men.

ben is obviously more receptive to tomlins style. this explains why so many of the younger players seem much more receptive and happy despite the coaching change; whereas alot of the veterans seem a bit skeptical and hesitant.

both styles are proven, and neither is necessarilly right or wrong. cowhers handling of ben (although it was no different than how he has always handled all his youngsters) may explain some of bens butting head's and rebellious type of nature.

im not gonna get into bashing ben everytime he has an opinion. i wont expect him to be a robot. i hope the doors are being opened for him to expand and grow, rather than them being shut while someone else simply uses him as a chess piece in the game of coaching.

i almost get the feeling that if cowher were coaching peyton manning or tom brady, he would kick them out of the film room for trying to out think him.

cubanstogie
05-15-2007, 12:06 AM
I think it all boils down to is lack of repect. I feel old talking like this(40 by the way), but the new breed of athletes are spoiled punks who receive a ton of money and feel invincible. Hard nosed old school coaches are getting phased out. Its along the same lines as teachers unable to discipline students now a days. Its a feel good society. The more Ben opens his mouth the less respect I have for him.

stlrtruck
05-15-2007, 12:31 AM
I think it all boils down to is lack of repect. I feel old talking like this(40 by the way), but the new breed of athletes are spoiled punks who receive a ton of money and feel invincible. Hard nosed old school coaches are getting phased out. Its along the same lines as teachers unable to discipline students now a days. Its a feel good society. The more Ben opens his mouth the less respect I have for him.

Hey, that spoiled punks, invincible comment sounds like my teenager! But it's funny because I'm the old school dad - man she hates the discipline word.

But I digress, Ben seems to be coming along nicely!!!

ChronoCross
05-15-2007, 12:35 AM
Ben said nothing wrong. If anything all the players should take shots at Cowhers none coaching ability last season. If Cowher would of coached we would of been in the playoffs. No Cowher already had his plane booked. So Ben saying something that really means nothing more then he likes Tomlins style of coaching might just make Ben work harder and concentrate harder on the goals ahead of getting us another SB being able to work with someone who gives a hoot, and will put fire back under are guys butts.

fansince'76
05-15-2007, 12:36 AM

I'm 39 myself, and I hear where you're coming from. However, 37-year-old Brett Favre didn't acquit himself too well in the press recently either:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showpost.php?p=247243&postcount=1

Fact is, all NFL players who get microphones shoved in their snoots constantly are bound to stick their foot in their mouth from time to time.

FastWillieParker39
05-15-2007, 12:45 AM
You can look at it at a positive and a negative way.

Positive: Maybe Cowher has been holding Ben back and Ben wants to come out of his shell. It looks like Tomlin is doing everything right with Ben so we might see better results from Ben.

Negative: Ben is very ****y and he will not change.

I take it as both a positive and a negative.

fansince'76
05-15-2007, 12:51 AM
I remember watching a 75th NFL anniversary special years ago and they had Sammy Baugh (Redskins HoF QB who played from the late '30s to the early '50s) on it and he said something to the effect that he used to go out to play games thinking he was "the best sumbitchin' player out on that field." C0ckiness in a QB isn't necessarily a bad thing, in fact, it's probably a necessity to survive in the league for any amount of time.

Blitzburgh
05-15-2007, 09:09 AM
Talk about a thread trying to make something out of nothing .... sheeessshhh.

TackleMeBen
05-15-2007, 09:15 AM
maybe he is trying to brown nose mikey t, so that he will return his keys to his bike back to him...lol..

talk about trying to make something out of nothing...

RoethlisBURGHer
05-15-2007, 09:25 AM
What,is Ben supposed to answer "no comment" to every single question the media ever asks him?

Coach Cowher was a yeller and a screamer.If you screwed up,he'd shew your ass out.

Mike Tomlin reminds me a lot of Chuck Noll.If you make a mistake,he won't berrate you for it.Instead he will ask you why you did that and try to correct whatever made you do it.

Chuck Noll won 4 Super Bowls...Bill Cowher won 1 Super Bowl...part of the reason I believe was the difference in coaching style.

Cowher made you feel like crap after making a mistake and made you think "I don't wanna piss that guy off again",that's not nesicarily going to work with every player.

Noll would glare at you,sometimes not speak to you.However,before you went back on the field he would go about trying to correct the problem.That works with most players.

DACEB
05-15-2007, 10:08 AM

Agreed, I don't see the disrespect for Cowher in those statements. I see a leader getting behind the new coach. I'm not reading anything else from Ben's statement.

tony hipchest
05-15-2007, 07:31 PM
maybe cowher just wasnt as pleasant as he appeared to the media :chuckle:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2870161

Another obvious difference is Tomlin's easygoing demeanor. He is a people person. Staffers noticed immediately that he would say hello and perhaps even make small talk, whereas Cowher often would walk stone-faced through the hallways.

One player clearly pleased with the coaching change is quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who recently revealed that he and Cowher were not the best of buds.

Not that this was a big surprise.

"I wouldn't say we had a bad relationship; I'd just say we weren't on a friendly term," Roethlisberger told Pittsburgh's ESPN Radio 1250-AM. "It wasn't something where I really wanted to go into his office and just sit down and [talk] with him, you know? You gotta have a guy in your corner. I think coach Cowher was there most of the time. And, there were times when certain guys were hurt or something, he would kinda roll his eyes and say that they weren't really hurt. You know, I went through that a couple of times."

There's no telling how Roethlisberger and Tomlin will fare through the fires of the regular season, but Big Ben, like many who meet Tomlin, has come away with a positive first impression.

"Coach Tomlin likes to have fun with the guys," Roethlisberger said. "I think the guys are more receptive to that. They feel more comfortable being able to communicate with that type of coaching."

Black@Gold Forever32
05-15-2007, 07:34 PM
cowher seems to have a coaching style similar to parcels or j. johnson, where they can be great buddies with the veterans, yet be hard assed with all the rookies and youngsters. i would say tomlins style is more similar to vermiel or dungy where there are no obvious favorites and all are treated equal and as men.

ben is obviously more receptive to tomlins style. this explains why so many of the younger players seem much more receptive and happy despite the coaching change; whereas alot of the veterans seem a bit skeptical and hesitant.

both styles are proven, and neither is necessarilly right or wrong. cowhers handling of ben (although it was no different than how he has always handled all his youngsters) may explain some of bens butting head's and rebellious type of nature.

im not gonna get into bashing ben everytime he has an opinion. i wont expect him to be a robot. i hope the doors are being opened for him to expand and grow, rather than them being shut while someone else simply uses him as a chess piece in the game of coaching.

i almost get the feeling that if cowher were coaching peyton manning or tom brady, he would kick them out of the film room for trying to out think him.

Tony I hope Tomlin isn't like Dick Vermiel. Now don't get me wrong I thought Vermiel was a very good NFL HC. But I hope Tomlin doesn't cry like Vermiel did all the time. I swear if you gave Dick Vermiel a snickers bar that dude would cry.lol

tony hipchest
05-15-2007, 07:40 PM
Tony I hope Tomlin isn't like Dick Vermiel. Now don't get me wrong I thought Vermiel was a very good NFL HC. But I hope Tomlin doesn't cry like Vermiel did all the time. I swear if you gave Dick Vermiel a snickers bar that dude would cry.lol:sofunny: i dont see that in him. if anything, maybe hes like an M&M with a hard shell on the outside. at this point i think he loves his job more than his players. we'll see how that changes after a sb victory or 2

Black@Gold Forever32
05-15-2007, 07:42 PM
:sofunny: i dont see that in him. if anything, maybe hes like an M&M with a hard shell on the outside. at this point i think he loves his job more than his players. we'll see how that changes after a sb victory or 2

I'm with you I don't think Tomlin is a crier. Its just everytime I see Vermiels name I think of that dude crying.lol

Stlrs4Life
05-15-2007, 08:15 PM

That's for sure. If Ben would have said nothing, or said he wasn't talking to the media, they would get all over him, poor guy can't do anything.

SteelerWatch
05-15-2007, 10:32 PM
The more Ben opens his mouth the less respect I have for him.

I don't think it's a matter of disrespect, honestly. I really think that Cowher never developed a high enough level of trust in Ben, even after they won the Bowl. While I think Ben has growing up to do, Cowher brought a lot of the finger-pointing on himself by spending a decade being the league's best choke artist. He was doing it before Peyton Manning made it cool.

I respect Cowher, I loved him as a coach, but the fact of the matter is he didn't have very good people skills and he had a bad habit of blowing it when the title was on the line. He was old-school, and while there's nothign wrong with that, I welcome the change. Ben clearly does too, but at least he's still being respectful of Cowher. We're not talking T.O.-like dissing here, just some honest remarks about how he felt about playing in the Cowher era.

We have *much* bigger egos to worry about. Think "Big Al".

fansince'76
05-15-2007, 10:57 PM
I respect Cowher, I loved him as a coach, but the fact of the matter is he didn't have very good people skills and he had a bad habit of blowing it when the title was on the line.

Think Neil O'Donnell and Kordell Stewart. It's no coincidence that Cowher finally broke through when he had a legit QB under center.

TackleMeBen
05-16-2007, 07:50 AM
That's for sure. If Ben would have said nothing, or said he wasn't talking to the media, they would get all over him, poor guy can't do anything.

:iagree:

RoethlisBURGHer
05-16-2007, 10:20 AM
People,the bottom line is in today's NFL a player can't simply just "no comment" everything asked or just not talk to the media.If he did,the NFL would probally fine the players that did so.

It's the offseason,and the draft is over so there isn't much to report on.Pittsburgh eats,sleeps,lives football...especially Steelers football.The sportwriters need somethign to write about,so they ask about Cowher.They know that's gonna get the readers attention.

TackleMeBen
05-16-2007, 10:42 AM
the next thing you know the media will start asking him what his dogs had to eat...lol

SteelerWatch
05-16-2007, 10:52 AM
Think Neil O'Donnell and Kordell Stewart. It's no coincidence that Cowher finally broke through when he had a legit QB under center.

I don't recall it being either of those guys' faults that the team gave up a (very) late lead to the Chargers on January 15, 1995 to lose the AFC Championship 17-13. In fact, the final offensive play for the Steelers was a very well-placed pass from O'Donnell to Barry Foster that was broken up by a great defensive effort. Stewart threw three interceptions and lost a fumble when the Steelers lost to the Broncos on Jan. 11, 1998, but Cowher failed to pull his "quarterback" until it was too late. Oh, and Stewart was directly responsible for all 21 Steeler points, with two TD passes and a 33-yard run. But I don't recall either of them giving up touchdowns on a blocked field goal and and a punt return against the Patriots on Jan. 27, 2002 in -- you guessed it -- the AFC Championship, losing 24-17.

Granted, Neil O'Donnell will forever be goat #1 and Kordell Stewart goat #2 in Pittsburgh, O'Donnell for two ill-timed interceptions in a Super Bowl the Steelers otherwise utterly dominated, and Stewart for...well...being Kordell. But then...

...the Steelers went 15-1 and lost the AFC Championship in Ben's first season. Chalk that one up to having a rookie QB in such a demanding situation. That same guy dominated three road games en route to Super Bowl XL, and we all know how that turned Cowher from choke artist to Super Bowl-winning coach. And if you watch closely in all those games save Super Bowl XXX, the Steelers seemed to crawl into a run-run-pass-punt shell when the pressure was on.

Singular failures fall on the shoulders of the players. Consistent failures over time fall on the shoulders of the coach.

fansince'76
05-16-2007, 11:01 AM
I don't recall it being either of those guys' faults that the team gave up a (very) late lead to the Chargers on January 15, 1995 to lose the AFC Championship 17-13. In fact, the final offensive play for the Steelers was a very well-placed pass from O'Donnell to Barry Foster that was broken up by a great defensive effort. Stewart threw three interceptions and lost a fumble when the Steelers lost to the Broncos on Jan. 11, 1998, but Cowher failed to pull his "quarterback" until it was too late. Oh, and Stewart was directly responsible for all 21 Steeler points, with two TD passes and a 33-yard run. But I don't recall either of them giving up touchdowns on a blocked field goal and and a punt return against the Patriots on Jan. 27, 2002 in -- you guessed it -- the AFC Championship, losing 24-17.

Granted, Neil O'Donnell will forever be goat #1 and Kordell Stewart goat #2 in Pittsburgh, O'Donnell for two ill-timed interceptions in a Super Bowl the Steelers otherwise utterly dominated, and Stewart for...well...being Kordell. But then...

...the Steelers went 15-1 and lost the AFC Championship in Ben's first season. Chalk that one up to having a rookie QB in such a demanding situation. That same guy dominated three road games en route to Super Bowl XL, and we all know how that turned Cowher from choke artist to Super Bowl-winning coach. And if you watch closely in all those games save Super Bowl XXX, the Steelers seemed to crawl into a run-run-pass-punt shell when the pressure was on.

Singular failures fall on the shoulders of the players. Consistent failures over time fall on the shoulders of the coach.

I've had this debate with numerous others here, and I don't feel like rehashing it at length. Cowher for the most part did not have a championship-caliber QB until his last 2 years in the 'Burgh. If he would have, he would have left with 3-4 rings easily as opposed to one. I wonder how many rings Belichick would have right now if he had somebody of Stewart or O'Donnell's caliber under center as opposed to Brady? I would venture to bet he would be stuck on zero.

SteelerWatch
05-16-2007, 11:19 AM
And I would venture to say that he also wouldn't have made it to the championship six times in his career with those guys either, if they truly were to blame. I just can't see how you can blame the San Diego and New England losses on the quarterbacks when they clearly were not at fault. I'll give you the Denver loss, though.

And, of course, we're diverting way too far from the original topic of the thread.

HometownGal
05-16-2007, 12:33 PM
And, of course, we're diverting way too far from the original topic of the thread.

That tends to happen on large message boards. :wink02:

I think we're still staying within the topic lines. After all - we are discussing QB's here and Ben, the last I knew, is a QB. :smile:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
05-16-2007, 12:36 PM
I like tacos

Elvis
05-16-2007, 12:39 PM
A reporter asked Ben a question, Ben answered it. Moving along....
I agree with ya brother.. Just think that people just breathe things into things without reason.. Just let the season begin.. I just cant wait to get this thing started again folks....:tt02:

fansince'76
05-16-2007, 12:41 PM
I agree with ya brother.. Just think that people just breathe things into things without reason.. Just let the season begin.. I just cant wait to get this thing started again folks....:tt02:

Me neither Wedo - the sooner the season starts, the sooner non-stories like this will end.

OX1947
05-16-2007, 12:43 PM
You would have to be a complete moron not to see that Cowher and Big Ben didn't get along. If you watch most of the video on the Steelers from Super Bowl DVDs to whatever, you can see Ben usually never made eye contact when Cowher was talking to him.

PAMillerGrrl83
05-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Maybe Cowher intimadated Ben.. I dunno honestly but I think people blow this crap out of porportion.

fansince'76
05-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Maybe Cowher intimadated Ben.. I dunno honestly but I think people blow this crap out of porportion.

Agreed - Cowher's gone, and he's not coming back. This is a non-issue.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
05-17-2007, 01:14 AM
Time to move on.......Hopefully ben will be able to get the passing game a threat.

When was the last time this happened in pittsburgh?