View Full Version : LeBeau brewing up a new wrinkle

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
05-15-2007, 01:01 AM
http://postgazette.com/pg/07135/786033-66.stm

Steelers' Keisel loves new role as rover
STEELERS MINICAMP

Tuesday, May 15, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Forget whether the Steelers will run a 3-4 or a 4-3 defense. Are NFL offenses ready for their 99 alignment?

It does not yet have a name, but 99 might be appropriate given the tasks the player wearing that jersey number will be asked to do in some new defenses.

Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau hopes that Brett Keisel can do for his front seven what strong safety Troy Polamalu does for his secondary -- a do-it-all from all over the field. Keisel still will be listed as the team's right defensive end on the depth chart, but in new defenses LeBeau introduced at the minicamps, he can wind up anywhere, before the snap and after it.

"He's just technically a roving linebacker is what he is," LeBeau said. "He's moving around, depending on where we put him and tell him where to end up. He won't always be just rushing as he is as a defensive lineman. We think he can cause some offenses some problems."

Think Mike Vrabel and former Raven Adalius Thomas of New England, or Junior Seau in his heyday. All three of them are linebackers. Keisel is a 6-foot-5, 285-pound end with a linebacker's mentality and athletic ability. He led all Steelers defenders with 23 quarterback pressures last season playing in a 3-4 scheme designed for the outside linebackers to pressure the quarterback. His 5.5 sacks ranked third on the team, 1.5 behind leader Joey Porter (who had 12 pressures).

Kevin Colbert, the Steelers' director of football operations, said the defense did not put enough heat on quarterbacks last season, so using Keisel in this manner is a way to try to get more pressure, plus confuse the quarterback.

Keisel served as an emergency backup outside linebacker the past two years and can play there if they need him.

"He's shown us the athleticism that lets us know he can operate in space and yet present some pretty good problems size-wise up there at the line of scrimmage," LeBeau said. "We're going to try to take advantage of his particular talents there."

In the new defenses, Keisel can line up in a three-point stance at right end and, at the snap of the ball or just before it, jump up and rush from the left -- or middle -- or drop into coverage. He can stand up in his initial alignment anywhere along the front, then switch into something else.

"I love it," said Keisel, who cut his teeth on special teams before he became a full-time starter last season. "I think it just really causes the offense problems. They don't know if I'm rushing or if I'm dropping into coverage. They don't know where I'm rushing from. They don't know if I'm containing or coming up the middle. It causes a lot of problems for them.

"We'll do it out of the 3-4, do it out of the 4-3, we'll do it out of everything."

His teammates seem to love it as well.

"They just have him moving around, trying to get the offensive linemen to know where he's at all times," left outside linebacker Clark Haggans said. "Sometimes he's blitzing inside, sometimes he's coming off the edge."

Keisel said he takes his inspiration from Polamalu, who can cover an entire field even before the snap. Polamalu has lined up outside of left end and at the snap of the ball speed around right end to blitz.

"He comes up and acts like he's doing one thing and does the complete opposite," Keisel said. "He's the master at it, no question."

If Keisel can pull it off, it will give a new meaning to disguising defenses.

"When the defense is called, I know where I'm supposed to be at the finish at the snap of the ball," Keisel said. "We're just experimenting with some things right now and, hopefully, we'll run them right and we can use them."

LeBeau has used players in a similar way in the past, but never in his two tenures with the Steelers. He has to go back to the late 1980s, early '90s to a player named Skip McClendon with the Cincinnati Bengals, who was 6-6, 300. But McClendon only had eight sacks in his entire career.

Baltimore has done it a lot, although with Thomas gone to New England it might prevent the Ravens from effectively deploying those types of defenses.

"It's a lot of what Baltimore did last year, they caused offenses a lot of problems," Keisel said. "Hopefully, we can do the same thing."

tony hipchest
05-15-2007, 01:14 AM
it almost seems like the handcuffs have been taken off of lebeau and hes now allowed to continue scheming and devising plays.

maybe im not just imagining lebeau seeming rejeuvinated.

fansince'76
05-15-2007, 01:21 AM
This article is definitely like a breath of fresh air after all the negative posts about Faneca and the rooks getting hurt in minicamp. Nice to read something positive for a change.

Preacher
05-15-2007, 02:16 AM
Add this story to the one were LeBeau is scheming around Woodley and Timmons...

Wow.. just wow.

We may shape up to just an UGLY team for anyone to face.

Please God... Bring back the Steel Curtain!!

X-Terminator
05-15-2007, 04:37 AM
I had a strong feeling that Tomlin and LeBeau would devise a "hybrid" defense much like the Ravens, but I didn't know who would be playing the Adalius Thomas role. I think Keisel is a good choice, though I believe eventually Timmons or, more likely, Woodley, will be groomed to take over the role in the future. I think it's great - it'll make our D much less predictable and should make life miserable for our opponents.

DJfan
05-15-2007, 09:46 AM
Of course we love it. We're Steeler fans -- we live for defense!

Bring on the new era!

DACEB
05-15-2007, 09:59 AM
it almost seems like the handcuffs have been taken off of lebeau and hes now allowed to continue scheming and devising plays.

This is exactly what has me so excited!! I think we were all worried about the defense, but it sure seems like Lebeau and the defense are exactly that - rejeuvinated!!

Lebeau for president, 4 more years!! :tt02:

Edman
05-15-2007, 11:29 AM
Oh yes! I wanna see a monster Defense! A Defense that gives hell to QB's. A defense that makes the opponent have to earn their yards, and even if they do, they pay for it and dearly. They need to show the league that the Steelers are truly a force to be reckoned with. We gotta stick it to Baltimore this year.

Elvis
05-15-2007, 12:10 PM

I agree Tony.. I think that maybe he is really being turned loose alittle.. sounds like this season is going to be alot of fun and I am sooooo looking forward to it...
:tt02:

Layin the wood
05-15-2007, 12:12 PM
Blitzburgh with a new wrinkle gotta love it! Man is it September yet!!!

alittlejazzbird
05-15-2007, 01:23 PM
Just please, PLEASE, mighty football gods.....keep them all healthy! The best plans and schemes are nothing without healthy players to execute them....

Every day I read more and more positive and inspiring things about Coach Tomlin and his staff, and you can feel the (cautious) optimism rising in the players as well.

Clearly it's the spectre of last season haunting me, but each time I start to get over the moon excited about the potential I feel radiating from this coach and this team, I have this terrible feeling that takes me right back to that moment, driving in my car at lunchtime on June 12, 2006, when Stephen A. Smith (1050ESPN Radio in New York) said "we have some major breaking news to report...Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has been seriously injured in a motorcycle accident in downtown Pittsburgh...no further details are available on his condition...." I pulled into a parking lot and sat there shaking for about 20 minutes, calling everyone in Pittsburgh I could think of, and nobody knew anything except that it was possible he might not survive.

Sorry for that little digression (it actually made my heart pound just typing it, that's how vivid that memory is to me), but I wonder if I'm alone in wondering if the other shoe will drop. We have SO much to be looking forward to in this upcoming season....let's all keep our fingers and toes and everything else crossed that everyone stays healthy, and THEN we will see a fearsome, AWEsome Steelers team!!!

polamalufan43
05-15-2007, 01:25 PM
Finally, some good news. I can see 99 doing great in the role and I think this will be a positive change of scenery for him.

~PF43:tt02:

Preacher
05-15-2007, 02:01 PM
Just please, PLEASE, mighty football gods.....keep them all healthy! The best plans and schemes are nothing without healthy players to execute them....

Every day I read more and more positive and inspiring things about Coach Tomlin and his staff, and you can feel the (cautious) optimism rising in the players as well.

Clearly it's the spectre of last season haunting me, but each time I start to get over the moon excited about the potential I feel radiating from this coach and this team, I have this terrible feeling that takes me right back to that moment, driving in my car at lunchtime on June 12, 2006, when Stephen A. Smith (1050ESPN Radio in New York) said "we have some major breaking news to report...Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has been seriously injured in a motorcycle accident in downtown Pittsburgh...no further details are available on his condition...." I pulled into a parking lot and sat there shaking for about 20 minutes, calling everyone in Pittsburgh I could think of, and nobody knew anything except that it was possible he might not survive.

Sorry for that little digression (it actually made my heart pound just typing it, that's how vivid that memory is to me), but I wonder if I'm alone in wondering if the other shoe will drop. We have SO much to be looking forward to in this upcoming season....let's all keep our fingers and toes and everything else crossed that everyone stays healthy, and THEN we will see a fearsome, AWEsome Steelers team!!!

We love your posting here...

BUT PLEASE... NEVER BRING THAT UP AGAIN!!!! :jawdrop:

I just about went nuts reading it!!!!

Lets look to a bright future PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay.. Freak out over..

I know what you mean!! However, this year, I think the other shoe to drop won't be Ben's, or anyone elses accident, rather, it has already dropped in the name of Faneca.

alittlejazzbird
05-15-2007, 02:16 PM
We love your posting here...

BUT PLEASE... NEVER BRING THAT UP AGAIN!!!! :jawdrop:

I just about went nuts reading it!!!!

Lets look to a bright future PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay.. Freak out over..

I know what you mean!! However, this year, I think the other shoe to drop won't be Ben's, or anyone elses accident, rather, it has already dropped in the name of Faneca.

Sorry about the freakout, Preacher! I'm one of those fans who cares SO MUCH about my team that I never actually enjoy watching them play; I can only bask in the glow after the win, and after my pulse has returned to normal and my stomach has un-knotted, you know? You're absolutely right...subject closed!

I feel more positive and hopeful about this team than about any upcoming season I can remember in quite a while (aside from 2005, coming off that 15-1 record). We're fortunate to have retained Coach LeBeau, because it only stands to reason when you have a head coach in Tomlin who appears to be a great motivator, you'll have already talented players theoretically playing at their very highest levels, and that's when a supremely talented defensive wizard like LeBeau can work nothing short of magic.

Even though the intricacies of LeBeau's schemes are still somewhat over my head (I'm always learning, though), I can't wait to see how they play out this year, and I do enjoy reading about them. I get this mental picture of him and Coach Tomlin drawing up those diagrams (on napkins, envelopes, arms, just like a recent article noted) while indulging in some maniacal laughter a la Number 2 and Doctor Evil in the Austin Powers movies.....MMMMWWWWAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAHAAAAAAA......

Honestly, I'm not that worried about the Faneca situation. Business is business; I posted my thoughts about that in the "Are the Rooneys Cheap?" thread. Alan can be disgruntled till the cows come home; he's still a pro and a standup guy even if he's ticked off. I 100% believe he'll play his heart out this year, because that's what he does. It's in his best interests to do so, particularly if he's auditioning for a new gig.

fansince'76
05-15-2007, 02:25 PM
I'm one of those fans who cares SO MUCH about my team that I never actually enjoy watching them play; I can only bask in the glow after the win, and after my pulse has returned to normal and my stomach has un-knotted, you know?

Yep, I know - I'm the same way. :sweating:

SteelerWatch
05-15-2007, 02:32 PM
I posted about this earlier this morning on my site (see my sig for the link) and dubbed it a 2-5 defense. I guess it's more of a 2.5-4.5 defense, though.

I've felt since Tomlin arrived and speculation started flying about a switch to 4-3 that it would be in their best interest to stop committing one way or another. More than half the game is mental, whether people want to believe it or not. With a good game plan -- and proper contingency planning so you can recover when something with your game plan goes wrong -- a decent team can beat the most athletic team long before the coin toss. Throwing the same look at an opposing offense all game long only helps your opponent, not you. Taking off the shackles of scheme and utilizing both the situation and your personnel to your own team's advantage will create far more wins than relying on the same-old, same-old.

That said, I wish we would have either traded up for Gaines Adams or down for Anthony Spencer, as they both would have given the team the perfect "hybrid" player who could not just play in, but excel in, both schemes. That's not to take anything away from who we got, though. Our top two picks are both mid-first-round talent and they will both have an immediate impact.

HometownGal
05-15-2007, 03:10 PM
Papa D has been reborn! :tt02:

I say mix it up and confuse the hell out of opponents' offenses. Variety is the spice of....well....Champions! :tt02:

ben2hines=6
05-15-2007, 03:29 PM
maybe the dolphins should have taken a closer look at porters stats.....ouch 12 hurries and only 7 sacks.......seems like the dolphins looked more into the name than the production

moedap
05-15-2007, 04:07 PM
maybe the dolphins should have taken a closer look at porters stats.....ouch 12 hurries and only 7 sacks.......seems like the dolphins looked more into the name than the production

I wouldnt read too much into that stat with Porter one way or the other. Its obvious that Faneca, Porter, Cowher, and Grimm had some issues with Management last season. Porter more so than any other player fed off of Cowhers emotions and last year Cowher was here physically but mentally and spiritually he was gone. Had Cowher been amped maybe Porter would have put in a better season.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
05-15-2007, 04:29 PM
New offense........Upgraded defense.......I can't wait until the season begins.

The Duke
05-15-2007, 04:53 PM
Keisel if sure to become one of my favortie players

memphissteelergirl
05-15-2007, 05:00 PM
Papa D has been reborn! :tt02:

I say mix it up and confuse the hell out of opponents' offenses. Variety is the spice of....well....Champions! :tt02:

OH YEAH!! BLITZBURGH IS ON THE WAY BACK!! :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

HometownGal
05-15-2007, 05:17 PM
Had Cowher been amped maybe Porter would have put in a better season.

Maybe if Porter worked a little harder on the field instead of flapping his big yap :blah: off the field, he would have put in a better season. Remember - Porter was supposed to be a leader, not a follower.

No disrespect intended, moe, but what is it with some of you people putting the blame on Cowher for every little thing? Porter had a duty to his team to perform on that field and he failed miserably last season - can't get much plainer and simpler than that. He wasn't the only one whose play last season could be called into question, but he was right up there at the top of the slacker list, imho.

Stlrs4Life
05-15-2007, 05:45 PM

I know, did Cowher hold him back or what? Or did Dick decide it is time to change a little?

tony hipchest
05-15-2007, 06:05 PM
I know, did Cowher hold him back or what? Or did Dick decide it is time to change a little?coincidentally enough, after i wrote that last night, i read this this morning:

"He's allowing us to be adults and professionals," safety Ryan Clark said. "He said he wants to see your attitude, and that means, 'I'm not going to handcuff you and make you a certain type of player. You do what I'm trying to get across, but you do it in your way.' "

Clark is a big fan of such coach-player reciprocation.

"When you get a coach that tries to handcuff players, when things are going good, they're going to be good," he said. "But when they start going bad, I think you can turn on a guy who you feel handcuffs you or limits you as an individual."

The Tomlin Era Steelers, apparently, will continue to be a team comprised of individuals.

That's a foundation worth maintaining.

seems like the handcuffs coming off has been a popular theme. im not sure if clark was referring to cowher or not, but i often wondered if whiz being unleashed drove our sb run in 2005. ben seems happy to be allowed to call his own protections now also. it seems alot of the micromanaging will be gone now.

NV STEELERS 723
05-15-2007, 09:31 PM
I like the changes to our D too....Keisel could be an animal if he were allowed to roam....but I think Woodley will be groomed for the position, and return the STEELERS D to Steel Cutain status.

GBMelBlount
05-15-2007, 10:16 PM
Keisel if sure to become one of my favortie players

Agreed Duke! Also, how uplifting to have an exciting thread like this! Agree with some before who tout Woodley. Also, jazzbird, haunting post!

SteelerWatch
05-15-2007, 10:26 PM
As much as a lot of us liked Cowher, it was clearly time for a change. He seemed so disinterested in the season last year -- not once did he get fired up at a bad call, or get in a player's face for screwing up. That's not the same beast I remember shoving pictures of a play into a ref's breast pocket out of anger at halftime.

I love what Tomlin is doing so far; by letting a player have certain freedoms on the field, you actually challenge them further because they are now thinking beings rather than programmed robots.

I do hope Tomlin won't coddle any players. Cowher clearly had a deeper relationship with Peezy than he did with most other players, and it showed favoritism at times. I hope Tomlin will be the "gentle leader" while still ruling with an iron fist.

vader29
05-17-2007, 06:01 AM
New offense........Upgraded defense.......I can't wait until the season begins.

Don't forget the special teams looks to be better this year also. Can't wait!

SteelerWatch
05-17-2007, 08:17 AM
Don't forget that it's a milestone year, too (team's 75th anniversary). We come out big in milestone years. Think about it: We've played in Super Bowls X, XXX and XL (all we missed was XX). We were also a tipped pass away from making the Super Bowl the year of the NFL's 75th anniversary in 1994-95 (lost 17-13 to the Chargers in the AFC Championship).

Buzz05
05-17-2007, 08:43 AM
We were also a tipped pass away from making the Super Bowl the year of the NFL's 75th anniversary in 1994-95 (lost 17-13 to the Chargers in the AFC Championship).

Im still bitter about that game...

SteelerWatch
05-17-2007, 09:45 AM
The worst part wasn't even losing it on a tipped 4th-down pass. It was the fact that the Chargers hadn't sustained more than two or three drives all game aside from two 43-yard touchdown tosses. In the 3rd quarter, all -- and I mean ALL -- the DBs bit on play action so bad that a journeyman tight end was open for a deep pass. In the 4th quarter, Tim McKyer lost the season for us on a deep jump ball.

Painful, man. We would have whooped the 49ers.

Edman
05-17-2007, 11:21 AM
The Chargeless had no business winning that game. NONE. But they did. That's the bottom line. Time to pack it up and put it back in the memory banks.

If anything, I remember them getting thier asses handed to them by the Niners 2 weeks later, not to mention we lambasted them in Pittsburgh the next year. So it's all gooooood.

83-Steelers-43
05-24-2007, 09:14 AM
Steelers plan to use Keisel's versatility

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, May 24, 2007

The childlike enthusiasm with which Brett Keisel has been approaching practice is fitting, since it he may have trouble staying still next season.

Keisel figures to move around a lot as the Steelers try to take advantage of the 6-foot-5 285-pounder's size and athleticism as well as the opportunity to disrupt opposing offenses before and after the snap.

He's listed as a defensive end, but Keisel's role will be, by design, much harder to define.

"I'll start in a three-point (stance), stand up, come back to the three-point," Keisel said Wednesday after an organized team activity practice. "We're trying to mask it so you can't really tell what we're doing, and it's coming along really nice, I think."

The question isn't where Keisel is going to play next season as much as it is where isn't he going to play.

He's even left open the possibility of taking some snaps from center.

"I don't know, maybe send Ben (Roethlisberger) out on a few pass routes," Keisel said, jokingly. "I've heard he's kind of a good athlete."

The same can be said of Keisel.

"He might be one of the most athletic guys on the team," defensive end Aaron Smith said. "He can run. He can jump. He can play in space."

Keisel was a good enough athlete coming out of high school that he could have pursued basketball in college.

Former Pitt coach and current UCLA coach Ben Howland, when he was at Northern Arizona, was among the coaches who recruited Keisel. To hear his Keisel's teammates talk, the 28-year-old Wyoming native still has plenty of game.

"He's probably the best basketball player on the team," Smith said. "He can take it to the well, dunk it. He's got a nice jump shot."

The Steelers are counting on Keisel's being as versatile and well-rounded on the football field.

If that is the case, he could play a role similar to the one Adalius Thomas filled last year in Baltimore.

Thomas gave opposing offenses fits by lining up all over the field, and his versatility made him one of the best players on one of the NFL's top defenses.

Thomas' impact is not lost on Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau.

"I think they've looked at some of the things (Thomas) did last year and some of the problems Baltimore caused opposing offenses," Keisel said, "and some of the stuff we've copycatted from them and some of the stuff coach LeBeau has designed himself. When you're used to having your hand in the dirt and you get to stand up and get a running start, it's a blast."

Said Smith: "Every time he comes out here, he gets better and better."

That sums up Keisel's career since the Steelers made him the 242nd pick (seventh round) in the 2002 NFL draft.

The BYU product has gradually improved, and last season, his first as a starter, Keisel recorded 55 tackles and 5 1/2 sacks. He apparently showed LeBeau enough to stir the mad scientist in the longtime defensive coordinator.

"We're just trying a whole bunch of stuff right now," Keisel said. "I'm very excited. I was out of town over the weekend, and it's just all I can think about, this opportunity that we have right now and trying these new things out."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_509172.html

Lambertfan
05-24-2007, 03:16 PM
Call it Troyburgh....:tt02::tt02::cheers::cheers::helmet:: helmet::chicken::chicken:

Steel Pit
05-25-2007, 02:01 AM
The worst part wasn't even losing it on a tipped 4th-down pass. It was the fact that the Chargers hadn't sustained more than two or three drives all game aside from two 43-yard touchdown tosses. In the 3rd quarter, all -- and I mean ALL -- the DBs bit on play action so bad that a journeyman tight end was open for a deep pass. In the 4th quarter, Tim McKyer lost the season for us on a deep jump ball.

Painful, man. We would have whooped the 49ers.

I attended that game and I still feel the pain. The long passs to Tony Martin should never have happended. Besides Tim McKyer just missing at his swat of the ball, Stan Humphries was being drilled as he was releasing the pass. That play was total garbage, lucky A S S slop.

The Steelers were far too conservative on offense. Junior Seau made tackle after tackle and he was screaming and flexing the whole game. The fans booed him many times.

The last play of the game would have been a touchdown if O'Donnell would have released the ball a second sooner. Barry Foster was sitting wide open in the middle of the endzone for 2 seconds before O'Donnell released a lob pass that was batted down by the Chargers linebacker.

That game was sickening. I guess with the heavy fog we should have known that something like that was going to happen.

Lambertfan
05-25-2007, 06:25 PM
I was at that game and it still hurts....

tony hipchest
05-25-2007, 06:50 PM
I attended that game and I still feel the pain. The long passs to Tony Martin should never have happended. Besides Tim McKyer just missing at his swat of the ball, Stan Humphries was being drilled as he was releasing the pass. That play was total garbage, lucky A S S slop.

The Steelers were far too conservative on offense. Junior Seau made tackle after tackle and he was screaming and flexing the whole game. The fans booed him many times.

The last play of the game would have been a touchdown if O'Donnell would have released the ball a second sooner. Barry Foster was sitting wide open in the middle of the endzone for 2 seconds before O'Donnell released a lob pass that was batted down by the Chargers linebacker.

That game was sickening. I guess with the heavy fog we should have known that something like that was going to happen. a lob pass (from 10 yds out) is a perfect description. i hate watching that in all the slo mo replays they always show, cause foster was practically camped out in the endzone roasting marshmallows, all by himself, when that pass was thrown. if brett farve were throwing that ball it wouldve taken the jaws of life to pull it from fosters facemask.

the ball past mckyer was like the 3rd and 6 elway completed to sharpe in 97 that whizzed by our linebackers earhole (gildon or kirkland?). or even worse, the int for a td porter flat out let bounce off his chest and hands against the patriots in 01.

i hate lucky ass slop. :dang:

paw-n-maul-u
05-25-2007, 09:00 PM
haha jeez tony ... thinking about it, lots of stuff like that seems to happen to us in the big games.

I wonder how many more SB's the steelers could have gone to

SteelCityMan786
05-25-2007, 09:25 PM

Doesn't look like you're imagining it.

drew102e
05-26-2007, 01:30 PM
keisels seems too slow for this, doesnt he?

tony hipchest
05-26-2007, 04:59 PM
keisels seems too slow for this, doesnt he?
his speed and ateletisism is the main reason hes being considered for a role like this. its also why he excelled on special teams. of course its unfair to compare him to a. thomas cause he will never be getting paid like thomas. i do think he can have an impact in our defense though.

Elvis
05-26-2007, 09:04 PM
:tt02: Barring injuries I think that our defense will be vastly improved over last years unit. I think that Lebeau sounds like his life has been rejuvinated to me. I think that we are in for a big year this year and the motivation will lay in the hand of Big Ben and our defense. I am so looking forward to this upcoming season maybe even more than last year after our Super Bowl Triumph!!!
:tt02::tt02::tt02:
You Gotta Love The Black N Gold
:tt02::tt02::tt02:

SteelersTilIDie
05-27-2007, 12:02 PM
This is cool, and i totally agree, he is being turned loose