PDA

View Full Version : Jets gonna knock you out!

tony hipchest
05-15-2007, 01:27 PM
"momma said knock you out"!

eric mangini, a huge boxing fan, is bringing in legendary trainer teddi atlas to work with the players for 8 weeks. while he has used boxers and even atlas before for motivational speeches, he believes alot of the fight skills learned in the 2 months can be translated to the football field (plus its excellent for conditioning and stamina).

i guess he plans on punching the patriots and their newfound finesse game in the mouth. or was bringing in all those frail, speedy wr's just a "smokescreen"? :chuckle:

polamalufan43
05-15-2007, 01:29 PM
LOL

But in all seriousness it's not a bad idea when you think about it...

~PF43:tt02:

tony hipchest
05-15-2007, 01:39 PM
LOL

But in all seriousness it's not a bad idea when you think about it...

~PF43:tt02:the steelers tried a few unorthadox training rotations a few years ago. i think one was martial arts or boxing, and another yoga. in all they had like 5 stages they would rotate through. the players really liked it and they responded well to it.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-15-2007, 01:40 PM
"momma said knock you out"!

eric mangini, a huge boxing fan, is bringing in legendary trainer teddi atlas to work with the players for 8 weeks. while he has used boxers and even atlas before for motivational speeches, he believes alot of the fight skills learned in the 2 months can be translated to the football field (plus its excellent for conditioning and stamina).

i guess he plans on punching the patriots and their newfound finesse game in the mouth. or was bringing in all those frail, speedy wr's just a "smokescreen"? :chuckle:

I would have been more impressed if they would have sent the team through Ken Shamrocks lions den!!!:flex:

Livinginthe past
05-15-2007, 01:41 PM
I'd expect Mangini to have a few good ideas...he learnt from the best.

tony hipchest
05-15-2007, 01:45 PM
I'd expect Mangini to have a few good ideas...he learnt from the best.ahhhh. so what youre really saying is that it is all just a smokescreen and theyre not really gonna use boxing techniques in training? it all makes sense. hes way too smart to put his team at a disadvantage by releasing this information.

with all this media subterfuge, smokescreens, and acquiring players to sell the ruse, the steelers, jets, and patriots have to be the sb favorites for sure.

Livinginthe past
05-15-2007, 01:54 PM
ahhhh. so what youre really saying is that it is all just a smokescreen and theyre not really gonna use boxing techniques in training? it all makes sense. hes way too smart to put his team at a disadvantage by releasing this information.

with all this media subterfuge, smokescreens, and acquiring players to sell the ruse, the steelers, jets, and patriots have to be the sb favorites for sure.

Bill Belichick is the best.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-15-2007, 02:00 PM

Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Preacher
05-15-2007, 02:05 PM
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Hey...

LLT...

Tell me how you really feal!!

fansince'76
05-15-2007, 02:07 PM

To be fair, I hear he gives the best interviews to the press. :chuckle:

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-15-2007, 02:08 PM
Hey...

LLT...

Tell me how you really feal!!

LOL...just giving LITP a rash of crap today..he knows I'm pulling his chain....I think.

Livinginthe past
05-15-2007, 02:58 PM

If I didn't know you better id say you were trying to be rude. :sofunny:

Consider my chain yanked...... :wink02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-15-2007, 03:18 PM
If I didn't know you better id say you were trying to be rude. :sofunny:

Consider my chain yanked...... :wink02:

..LOL...actually you where just the unfortunate recipient of my urge to use the Billy Madison quote!!!....I would give my eye-teeth to be able to tell some of our callers that!!

Livinginthe past
05-15-2007, 03:20 PM
..LOL...actually you where just the unfortunate recipient of my urge to use the Billy Madison quote!!!....I would give my eye-teeth to be able to tell some of our callers that!!

Unfortunate?

I dunno I been called worse things by blunter people :wink02:

I'll have to charge a fee if you are going to use me as a stress ball though...

silver & black
05-15-2007, 05:20 PM

Try to sell that to any Browns fan.

Livinginthe past
05-15-2007, 05:39 PM
Try to sell that to any Browns fan.

Sorry S&B - thats a real yawner.

If anything confirms the guys greatness as a coach its the fact that the only criticism he recieves (apart from being an a-hole) is his ill fated time as HC of one of the worst franchises (if not the worst) over the last couple of decades.

Next thing is people want to judge him without Brady - to those, I say name me a great coach and i'll take way his franchise QB too.

Crushzilla
05-15-2007, 06:09 PM
I heard Belichik is looking to pick up T.O., Rod Smith, and Jerry Rice

Stop looking at me, swan

Livinginthe past
05-15-2007, 06:12 PM
I heard Belichik is looking to pick up T.O., Rod Smith, and Jerry Rice

Stop looking at me, swan

I heard Jerry Rice would be No.3 on the Steelers WR depth chart. :wink02:

All sorts of rumors flying about this time of year.......

Crushzilla
05-15-2007, 07:39 PM
The Jets could use him to teach them how to salsa dance....

That would help the DLine greatly

silver & black
05-16-2007, 06:12 AM
Sorry S&B - thats a real yawner.

If anything confirms the guys greatness as a coach its the fact that the only criticism he recieves (apart from being an a-hole) is his ill fated time as HC of one of the worst franchises (if not the worst) over the last couple of decades.

Next thing is people want to judge him without Brady - to those, I say name me a great coach and i'll take way his franchise QB too.

Yawner or not, it still stands. If he is so great, why couldn't he win in Cleveland? He had talent.

I'm not really ripping on him. I agree that Cleveland was a bad franchise when he was there. Sometimes it just takes a change to bring out greatness. How many other coaches do you suppose could be very good if the right situation and players were to fall to them?

All I'm saying is that Belichik had the right situation fall to him... that doesn't necessarily mean he is the best coach out there.

Livinginthe past
05-16-2007, 07:18 AM
Yawner or not, it still stands. If he is so great, why couldn't he win in Cleveland? He had talent.

I'm not really ripping on him. I agree that Cleveland was a bad franchise when he was there. Sometimes it just takes a change to bring out greatness. How many other coaches do you suppose could be very good if the right situation and players were to fall to them?

All I'm saying is that Belichik had the right situation fall to him... that doesn't necessarily mean he is the best coach out there.

I agree that coaches need to have other factos in their favor - they can't win without talent; what they do is maximise it.

One thing that is forgotten is that Belichick gave Cleveland a very rare taste of playoff football in his time there (we'll skip over who he beat... :wink02:)

If you look at the curve his teams records were taking under his leadership it seems pretty clear that they were gradually becoming a better and better team.

1991 - 6-10
1992 - 7-9
1993 - 7-9
1994 - 11-5

Then we have Modell making his announcement that the team is moving out of Cleveland altogether and the franchise promptly falls apart.

1995 - 5-11

Its conjecture I know, but who's to say that if the Browns had remained in Cleveland in 1995 that they wouldn't have gone to the playofs again - its clear they were improving every year.

At the end of the day im glad it all worked out as it did.

verks36
05-16-2007, 09:08 AM
Ya i think this is basically just a waist of time
One thing to plan on when we play the jets dont start a brawl

Crushzilla
05-17-2007, 03:59 PM
ESPN "Outside the Lines" just had a special on the Jets boxing and also showed some other people who do unorthadox training.

Boxing provides physical benefits and "a better perspective (apparently) on life" about "getting up when you get knocked down." According to Atlas its about "concentrating, understanding, technique, and staying calm."

"Boxing brings light into the places where there's only darkness?" I didn't get that...

Mangini hopes that each guy will take away something different whether it be spending time with Atlas or the stories from the camp. As long as its something positive. "Anything to get them to the next level" Shaun Ellis said.

I dig it... Hey its voluntary minicamp, why not?

msafford
05-17-2007, 05:30 PM

Man That's funny. The sad part is that I knew right away what you were quoting. :sofunny: