PDA

View Full Version : Peter King/SI Feature Article on Coach Tomlin

alittlejazzbird
05-15-2007, 01:36 PM
It's quite long, so I'm not going to post the text, but it's an excellent article and well worth your time to read...here's the first paragraph:

Peter King: Third Man In
He's just the third Steelers coach in the past 38 years. And he's only 35. But as Pittsburgh's players have already learned, Mike Tomlin is a no-nonsense motivator in the mold of his two predecessors
Posted: Tuesday May 15, 2007 10:55AM; Updated: Tuesday May 15, 2007 10:55AM

One night last week a family new to Pittsburgh -- husband and wife, three kids ages six years to 11 months -- walked into the neighborhood bistro La Tavola Italiana atop Mount Washington for dinner. The husband had been there before. He moved around the place in a comfortable, self-assured way and recognized the Sicilian cook and owner, Carmela Giaramita, right away. "Mom!" he said affectionately, then bear-hugged her. She wasn't really his mother but had been so accommodating and friendly in his previous visits that he felt a kinship.

"Such a nice man!" Giaramita purred. "And what a beautiful family!"

New Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, 35, was seated at a corner table with his wife, Kiya, sons Dino and Mason and baby daughter Harlyn. Tomlin had his usual, Pasta alla Ben, a fusilli-and-sausage dish named after quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who introduced him to the place in January.

"It's starting to feel like home here," said Tomlin, who in 12 seasons as a college and pro assistant had lived in six cities. ....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/05/15/tomlin0521/index.html

rbryan
05-15-2007, 02:13 PM
Sounds good so far, I'm liking what I hear about Tomlin more and more, but all the Peter King articles in the world won't make a difference if the team doesn't win. (Actually, it makes me kind of nervous that King is pimpin him) Thanks for the link though, cause I wasn't gonna run out and buy this months SI.

Please tell me he wasn't on the cover. lol

tony hipchest
05-15-2007, 02:35 PM
At defensive meetings each day, Tomlin put two pages on the overhead projector. One was the Loaf Chart, which totaled the number of plays on which each of his players had dogged it during the previous practice. Tomlin preached accountability. The other sheet was called the News, which singled out players for mistakes such as jumping offside or dropping an interception or looking half-asleep. "I'm not telling a story," Tomlin would say, "I'm reporting the news."

"You definitely did not want to be in his newscast," Smoot says. But midway through last season, he was. Eight games into the second year of a six-year, $34 million free-agent contract, Smoot was not playing well: no interceptions and just one pass breakup. Tomlin opened a midweek defensive meeting by saying, "We're going to have a change at cornerback. Cedric Griffin's going to replace Fred Smoot, and if Fred does not come and compete for the job, Cedric's going to be the corner the rest of the year."

great article. and of course a great article wouldnt be a great article w/o a few h. ward soundbites.

There is an adjustment process, to be sure. The News was published at each of the first two minicamps, and some veterans have felt the sting. "Some guys don't like it," :sofunny:says wideout Hines Ward, the MVP of Super Bowl XL. "I made it at our first minicamp for spiking a ball and trash-talking. Spiking's going to be a penalty this year if you do it on a play that isn't a touchdown, and he pointed out what I did in front of the team." Roethlisberger said Tomlin put him in the News last weekend for not having as good a practice on Friday as he'd had in the first set of practices last month. For Tomlin, not much has changed -- he has already called out the Steelers' two biggest stars.
"Everywhere I go," says Ward, "people will ask me, 'What's the coach like? We don't know much about him.' I tell them, 'We're still trying to figure him out too.'"

and this is probably the best quote from tomlin yet:

Noll didn't lose sleep over what his players thought of him, and you get the feeling Tomlin will be like him in that way too. "You know what's funny?" Tomlin said late last Saturday, not sounding at all as if he thought it was funny. "People keep asking the players what they think of me. It's irrelevant. Their job is to play. My job is to evaluate them."

fansince'76
05-15-2007, 02:54 PM
There is an adjustment process, to be sure. The News was published at each of the first two minicamps, and some veterans have felt the sting. "Some guys don't like it," says wideout Hines Ward, the MVP of Super Bowl XL. "I made it at our first minicamp for spiking a ball and trash-talking. Spiking's going to be a penalty this year if you do it on a play that isn't a touchdown, and he pointed out what I did in front of the team." Roethlisberger said Tomlin put him in the News last weekend for not having as good a practice on Friday as he'd had in the first set of practices last month. For Tomlin, not much has changed -- he has already called out the Steelers' two biggest stars.

Good - looks like there will be hell to pay for boneheaded penalties, unlike last season.

Edman
05-15-2007, 04:19 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2870161

Tomlin isn't afraid to blow the proverbial whistle first thing in the morning, either. Players have learned that it's rarely good to be featured in Tomlin's version of the morning news.

Before practice, the coach prints out "headlines" regarding the previous day's workout and puts them on an overhead projector for everyone to see.

"If you're not up to his standards, you're going to be on the news," said backup nose tackle Chris Hoke. "That's what he does, he puts it up there and says, 'The News,' and everyone holds their breath like, 'Here it comes.' You're hoping you're not going to be up there."

Ward found himself in the headlines one morning for spiking the ball after a catch. A new NFL rule prohibits spikes except after touchdowns.

"You don't want to end up in the headlines," Ward said, laughing. "He's not calling anyone out, really. It's just the facts. If you loaf on a play, you end up in the news. If you fumble a ball, you end up in the news. If you throw a pick, you end up in the news. He calls it like he sees it."

HometownGal
05-15-2007, 04:25 PM
Great article - thanks ALJB. :thumbsup:

I enjoyed the entire article very much, but this quote stood out and I couldn't be happier with Tomlin's 'tude - :jammin:

Noll didn't lose sleep over what his players thought of him, and you get the feeling Tomlin will be like him in that way too. "You know what's funny?" Tomlin said late last Saturday, not sounding at all as if he thought it was funny. "People keep asking the players what they think of me. It's irrelevant. Their job is to play. My job is to evaluate them."

Whip 'em into shape, Coach Tomlin! :buttkick: :cheers:

fansince'76
05-15-2007, 04:27 PM

I enjoyed the entire article very much, but this quote stood out and I couldn't be happier with Tomlin's 'tude - :jammin:

For such a young dude, Tomlin certainly has an old school mentality - I think it's great. :thumbsup:

Stlrs4Life
05-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Pretty neat logical way of teaching. Tomlin might have some military experience.

Stlrs4Life
05-15-2007, 04:40 PM
Nice read, I too am nervous about King writing good stuff about us.

My favorite qoute of the article is:

"You know what's funny?" Tomlin said late last Saturday, not sounding at all as if he thought it was funny. "People keep asking the players what they think of me. It's irrelevant. Their job is to play. My job is to evaluate them."

lilyoder6
05-15-2007, 06:41 PM
i do like at his does that.. very interesting and funny at the same time

Crushzilla
05-15-2007, 06:47 PM
Good thing the Vikings didn't promote him...

They would never get to practicing with all the headlines every morning...

ChronoCross
05-15-2007, 06:55 PM
Its different but at the same time interesting.

NV STEELERS 723
05-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Great article by Peter King... I have nothing but good feelings about Coach Tomlin..I'm so excited about this season...

I love the fact that Coach Tomlin is a family guy, and he's holding that "All Pro Dad" event in June.. I wish I could go.

GBMelBlount
05-15-2007, 09:26 PM
"People keep asking the players what they think of me. It's irrelevant. Their job is to play. My job is to evaluate them."

Great quote. This is finally getting exciting. Good post jazz. This will be a very exciting year!

abgroove
05-16-2007, 06:34 AM
Very unique concept...

HometownGal
05-16-2007, 06:39 AM
I combined Edman's thread on "The News" with this thread, as they are pretty much on the same topic. :smile:

Florida_Steelers_Fan
05-16-2007, 07:21 AM
Great article by Peter King... I have nothing but good feelings about Coach Tomlin..I'm so excited about this season...

I love the fact that Coach Tomlin is a family guy, and he's holding that "All Pro Dad" event in June.. I wish I could go.

what i like about tomlin is that he believes you can be a father and a coach simultaneously...i always got the impression from cowher that it was an "either/or" proposition.

yes, tomlin will be evaluated on wins and losses, but i like the demeanor and principles that he brings with himself as a man of character. the steelers found a gem.

alittlejazzbird
05-16-2007, 08:52 AM
Pretty neat logical way of teaching. Tomlin might have some military experience.

I had been thinking that exact same thing, that there must be some military influence somewhere in his life. According to the article in this morning's Post Gazette, his stepfather, with whom he is very close, was an Army man.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-16-2007, 09:02 AM
what i like about tomlin is that he believes you can be a father and a coach simultaneously...i always got the impression from cowher that it was an "either/or" proposition.
yes, tomlin will be evaluated on wins and losses, but i like the demeanor and principles that he brings with himself as a man of character. the steelers found a gem.

I had that same impression of Cowher until I watched the extra content on the Playoff/Superbowl DVD's....One daughter said that he only missed one of her high school games...even when she went to nationals...and one of the coaches commented that even when Cowher was in a late night meeting hw would have his oldest daughters Princeton game on the radio..and would call her after the game....

...anybody else catch that on the disks?...and what were your thoughts?

coachspeak33
05-16-2007, 09:20 AM
Cowher wore his emotions on his sleeve....early on we found that captivating....in the middle we loved him for it...at the end it began to wear thin....

Ten years from now we will remember Bill in a positive aspect...a hall of fame coach whose legacy will still epitomize "Steeler Football"......UNLESS of course Tomlin win's a couple SB's in his first handful of years here......wouldnt that be nice

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-16-2007, 09:21 AM
Wow..I can now use the words "SI" and "nice article" in the same breath....next thing you know..Dr Z will make a prediction that he has actually given some thought to!!!

fansince'76
05-18-2007, 10:37 PM
Wow..I can now use the words "SI" and "nice article" in the same breath....next thing you know..Dr Z will make a prediction that he has actually given some thought to!!!

No doubt - supposedly this guy has been a watchdog as far as the NFL is concerned since the '50s or '60s. My predictions are more accurate than his, and my prognosticating skills suck.

stillers4me
05-19-2007, 06:31 AM

True, so true.

The difference is that Tomlin's wife actually wants to lives in the same town as him. I hope Kaye is enjying NC.

fansince'76
05-20-2007, 01:32 AM
"You know what's funny?" Tomlin said late last Saturday, not sounding at all as if he thought it was funny. "People keep asking the players what they think of me. It's irrelevant. Their job is to play. My job is to evaluate them."

This sounds so much like something Noll would have said, it's downright eerie....

Preacher
05-20-2007, 02:08 AM

Funny how so many people on this board clicked into this line... I too copied it before I read any of the comments. I was going to come and paste the same thing as everyone else.

What does that say about what we want from Steeler football? What does that say about our thoughts on the Steeler organization the last couple of years?

Jeremy
05-20-2007, 01:49 PM
Peter King is a pathetic excuse for a sports writer. Anything good he says about the Steelers is just setting something up for a pro Patriots/Bill Parcells comment later on in any article he writes. His fat ass should have been fired from SI for stealing a long time ago because nothing he writes is worthy of being paid for.

Crushzilla
05-20-2007, 02:46 PM
Peter King is a pathetic excuse for a sports writer. Anything good he says about the Steelers is just setting something up for a pro Patriots/Bill Parcells comment later on in any article he writes. His fat ass should have been fired from SI for stealing a long time ago because nothing he writes is worthy of being paid for.

Why don't you tell us how you really feel, Jeremy...

Great article, though. Tomlin just gets better and better

fansince'76
05-20-2007, 02:51 PM
Peter King is a pathetic excuse for a sports writer....His fat ass should have been fired from SI for stealing a long time ago because nothing he writes is worthy of being paid for.

You pretty much described every hack that writes for that publication nowadays. Have you bothered to read that rag lately?

Atlanta Dan
05-21-2007, 09:07 AM

Like this quote from today's MMQB?

I think in six months, the New York Giants are going to be wishing they had changed coaches last January ... and hired Mike Tomlin

Definitely a set up to praise the Pats and Parcells there

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/05/18/mmqb/3.html

King has been a big Steelers booster for as long as I can recall, particularly with regard to Bettis.

Jeremy
05-21-2007, 09:09 AM
Like this quote from today's MMQB?

I think in six months, the New York Giants are going to be wishing they had changed coaches last January ... and hired Mike Tomlin

Definitely a set up to praise the Pats and Parcells there

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/05/18/mmqb/3.html

King has been a big Steelers booster for as long as I can recall, particularly with regard to Bettis.

King throws the Steelers fans a bone every so often to keep his in-laws happy.

Counselor
05-21-2007, 10:37 AM
Funny how so many people on this board clicked into this line... I too copied it before I read any of the comments. I was going to come and paste the same thing as everyone else.

What does that say about what we want from Steeler football? What does that say about our thoughts on the Steeler organization the last couple of years?

That was absolutely the best line in the whole article. Isn't it time for training camp yet?

rich4eagle
05-21-2007, 06:02 PM

Me too I tried to send the link but was unqualified.......but indeed found it profound and quite impressive

Buzz05
05-22-2007, 07:14 AM
King throws the Steelers fans a bone every so often to keep his in-laws happy.

Regardless of how King really feels about the Steelers, whether he likes them or hates them. He was obviously impressed by Tomlin and how he carries himself. He may hve had to write good things for his SI Article, but he through out the other like out of the blue. He didnt have to compliment Tomlin but he did. So he has to think highly of our coach atleast.

revefsreleets
05-22-2007, 04:17 PM
That was a great article. I don't care who wrote it, because it was filled with quotes from the players and coaches, and that's what counts.

tony hipchest
05-22-2007, 05:57 PM
That was a great article. I don't care who wrote it, because it was filled with quotes from the players and coaches, and that's what counts.

yep. great article. peter king is respected around the league and often brings excellent insider information. i particularly like his training camp tour reports and would say theyre 2nd only to pat kirwan's.

SteelCityMan786
05-22-2007, 07:03 PM
I read the article. It was pretty nice.