PDA

View Full Version : Haynes not out in Steel City

Indy_Steelers
05-15-2007, 03:23 PM
Haynes not out in Steel City
Tuesday, May 15, 2007 11:24 am EDT

The recent signing of Kevan Barlow does not mean Verron Haynes is out of the picture at running back for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Haynes is still rehabilitating the knee he seriously injured last October at the Steelers' South Side practice facility. The Steelers released the reliable third-down back in March for salary-cap reasons.

They haven't changed their position that they want to re-sign Haynes if he is healthy enough for training camp.

-Source: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review -

I would like to see him back for one more season anyway.

NV STEELERS 723
05-15-2007, 08:27 PM
I think it would be really tough for Verron to come back from that knee injury...I wish him the best in his full recovery.

ChronoCross
05-15-2007, 08:59 PM
I got a e-mail today. Says Verron will be back in time for Training Camp. So will be interesting to see.

Buzz05
05-16-2007, 07:55 AM
If Verron is healthy, and that is a big if, I can see him beating out Barlow for the roster spot.

coachspeak33
05-16-2007, 08:19 AM
I would like to see Verron get healthy....take his time....and be utilized as a FB to replace Danny Kreider in a year or so....

It appears as if Arians is going to be much more creative in play calling....I know that some look back at Whiz and think he was creative....running a reverse a game isnt exactly what i am referring to...

I am referring more to formation creativity....and the utilization of all skill position players....Under Whiz the TE and FB were utilized as additional O lineman 90% of the time.... I am hopeful Arians will give the D more to think about ....

Tony Hipchest posted a link to a CBS sportsline article discussing how formations affect defensive preparation and playcalling on one of his posts a while back...

Verron seems like a guy who plays with fire and passion, he appears more than willing to play ST's and hell, he won a SB...I would love to see him get a shot as Kreiders replacement and maybe we will see the return of the FB posing a threat on offense...

There is alot of history in that position with the steelers (Harris, Hoge, JH Johnson, Pollard).... you wanna talk about smashmouth football....

Bring back the FB as a threat??? Verron might be able to provide that.

verks36
05-16-2007, 08:40 AM
Hopefully he gets a full recovery and ends up back on the team

Crushzilla
05-16-2007, 09:42 AM
The Cardinals will probably try to pick him up so Whiz can continue to use his patented RB screen on 3rd and long...

vasteeler
05-16-2007, 11:32 AM
maybe its just me but what has haynes done for the steelers EVER nothing in my opinion
let him go give barlow a chance

Galax Steeler
05-17-2007, 03:55 AM
veron was effective on 3rd down but I don't think he is the back we need.

Steel Pit
05-17-2007, 05:13 AM
veron was effective on 3rd down but I don't think he is the back we need.

Agreed! I don't want to see the Steelers wasting any more time on the "Evolution of Verron Haynes" This will be his 7th season and I haven't seen anything with Haynes that I'm impressed with. When considering that he's a RB who's rehabilitating an injured knee, then common sense says let him be on his way. The Steelers need to keep their younger RB's who might possibly fill a starting position in the near future.