PDA

View Full Version : The War against Hemp

Mistah_Q
05-17-2007, 12:25 AM
Let me preface this by saying that I've never touched marijuana in my life, and unless I have an ultra-painful neurological disorder, I won't want to. But that isn't the point of this. Also I think that "4-20" being the "weed-smoking holiday" is probably one of the silliest things I've ever heard of. But that also isn't the point of this.

Cannabis/Hemp has so many good uses. . I'll leave that up to individuals whether smoking is a good use but it's such a wonderful resource for food (its oil and seeds) and for its fibers. .

They could put a few logging companies out of business using Hemp to make paper and paper products, and it's so much more easily and quickly renewable than trees. . they can also use hemp to make articles of clothing and fuels. . almost anything that can be made from wood pulp, cotton, or petroleum can be made from hemp.

Using hemp for clothing is environmentally friendly. The hemp plant is naturally resistant to pests and weeds, so the farmer doesn't need to dump toxic pesticides and herbicides on the land. Hemp also requires about 1/20th as much water to grow and process as cotton, and the hemp fiber is up to 4 times stronger than cotton. Fabric made from hemp naturally resists bacteria growth and filters harmful UV light. And thanks to new developments in preparing and finishing the fabric, hemp clothing is super soft and comfortable.

The War against Kentucky Hemp:
At one time there was a prosperous Hemp industry, most notably in Kentucky. But then came the war against hemp. . it was basically criminalized and eradicated, and they do sweeps each year to destroy and remaining wild hemp they can find. I'll update this with a link once I have enough posts to be allowed to post links.

Just because you can use one variety of the plant to get roughly the buzz of a few hard drinks, this wonderful plant that could be the answer to many problems, is being eradicated. (Conversely, you're allowed to fill your lungs with tar and nicotine smoke, which is far more addictive than cannabis could ever hope to be. . and you're allowed to drink liquor, which has roughly the same effect but unlike hemp, can actually kill you. . . absurd!)

The marijuana aspect is not the point of this - the variety cultivated for marijuana is short and bushy, while the other varieties which are the ones I'm more interested in having legalized are more tall and stalky, and need to be cut before marijuana would be able to be harvested from the shorter ones. But even if it's true (and I believe that it is) that over time smoking weed could kill off a few brain cells and make you slightly duller. . . so can playing football and banging your head against the wall . . . and voting for Sanjaya. But none of those things are illegal now are they? Besides, if someone wants a buzz after a long hard day, or wants some relief from neurological pain. . . then let them have it. Good grief.

Let me reiterate that the recreational and medical uses of marijuana is not the point of this, but the stigma that hemp comes with, that part of the argument needs to be made as well. Industrial hemp is an extremely efficient, versatile, and useful crop, and it's almost senseless to have it outlawed - the industrial breeds contain so little of the chemical found in marijuana hemp that it's not even worth smoking.

On most political issues I'm a rock-solid conservative but hemp shouldn't even be an issue. It needs to be legalized NOW! :twocents:

fansince'76
05-17-2007, 12:29 AM
Reminds me of an interview of Roger Daltrey I saw on Letterman a few years back and he went into great detail about the merits of industrial hemp. It has no psychoactive properties and it is actually more durable than pretty much any other textile as far as clothing is concerned. Not to mention the merits of using hemp oil in modified engines - burns cleaner than ethanol.

Stillers#1
05-17-2007, 01:05 AM
I miss weed......sigh.

tony hipchest
05-17-2007, 01:31 AM
I miss weed......sigh.:sofunny:

the crusade against hemp has many sources. drug companies, tobacco, alcohol, textiles, food, oil, etc. all wanna see a naturally growing weed wiped out.

one of the biggest conspiracies of this nation is the illegalization of a weed.

Preacher
05-17-2007, 02:00 AM
Well...

All that crap about pot being safe...

Ain't no way anyone will prove it by me...

I see the backend of all of that crap...

As far as I am concerned... ban it all.

Mistah_Q
05-17-2007, 02:07 AM
Well...

As far as I am concerned... ban it all.I respect that opinion and honestly I'm more interested in the plant being cultivated for industrial uses. The breeds of the plant that are used for industrial purposes contain so little of the "drug" that it isn't even worth trying to smoke.

Hey, my uncle is a preacher, has a church in North Carolina

fansince'76
05-17-2007, 02:08 AM
Well...

INDUSTRIAL hemp, Preacher - completely different than the "recreational" kind....

tony hipchest
05-17-2007, 02:09 AM
Well...

As far as I am concerned... ban it all.because of its usefulness or because people smoke it?

what is your stance on alcohol (should it be banned or not)?

Stillers#1
05-17-2007, 02:14 AM
Well...

Why b/c a few weak people claim its a "gteway" drug? Guess we should ban cough syrup as well.

tony hipchest
05-17-2007, 02:18 AM
Guess we should ban cough syrup as well.
then what will all the kids "robo-fry" on?

dont say were gonna ban banana peels! :banana::banana::banana:

fansince'76
05-17-2007, 02:21 AM
dont say were gonna ban banana peels! :banana::banana::banana:

(With apologies to Donovan)

I'm just mad about Saffron.... :chuckle:

Preacher
05-17-2007, 03:53 AM
because of its usefulness or because people smoke it?

what is your stance on alcohol (should it be banned or not)?

My response was to your and Stillers1 statements in regards to smoking it, which is why I referred to it as POT...

Other uses... HEMP... I really don't care. Heck, I hear it makes for REALLY good rope.

But as for a "Few" People claiming POT is a gateway drug...

In my experience in dealing with people on hard drugs... ALMOST EVERY ONE OF THEM had smoked pot... as a beginning. So the fact of pot being a gateway drug is far from arguable.

My stance on alcohol... I do not drink, I teach my church that it is wise not to drink. Should it be banned? From anyone under the age of 21. I am comfortable with the laws on alcohol. The history and culture of alcohol, especially beer and wine is VASTLY different then that of pot. Alcohol is used as a SAFE exchange for water in many cultures, which America derives her culture from. Alcohol was also part of many religious celebrations... including the Lord's Supper (Communion for you catholics! :wink02:).

The truth of the matter is... Alcohol is consumed for many reasons, not just to get drunk. Pot on the otherhand, is smoked 99 percent of the time for one reason... to get high.

And yes... I left the one percent for the "medical marijuana" argument... and that is being generous. You oughta see some of the people around here that have "ailments" that allow them to get a potcard. :rolleyes:

But the basic argument is one from emotion... and one that just wont change, because of the emotional nature. I cannot tell you how many people, KIDS even, I have seen throw thier life away because they just wanted to get high... cause after all... its not addictive... it can't hurt ya!

yeah right. Come walk a mile in my shoes. let me introduce you to the destroyed lives.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-17-2007, 09:12 AM
My response was to your and Stillers1 statements in regards to smoking it, which is why I referred to it as POT...

Other uses... HEMP... I really don't care. Heck, I hear it makes for REALLY good rope.

In my experience in dealing with people on hard drugs... ALMOST EVERY ONE OF THEM had smoked pot... as a beginning. So the fact of pot being a gateway drug is far from arguable.

My stance on alcohol... I do not drink, I teach my church that it is wise not to drink. Should it be banned? From anyone under the age of 21. I am comfortable with the laws on alcohol. The history and culture of alcohol, especially beer and wine is VASTLY different then that of pot. Alcohol is used as a SAFE exchange for water in many cultures, which America derives her culture from. Alcohol was also part of many religious celebrations... including the Lord's Supper (Communion for you catholics! :wink02:).

The truth of the matter is... Alcohol is consumed for many reasons, not just to get drunk. Pot on the otherhand, is smoked 99 percent of the time for one reason... to get high.

And yes... I left the one percent for the "medical marijuana" argument... and that is being generous. You oughta see some of the people around here that have "ailments" that allow them to get a potcard. :rolleyes:

But the basic argument is one from emotion... and one that just wont change, because of the emotional nature. I cannot tell you how many people, KIDS even, I have seen throw thier life away because they just wanted to get high... cause after all... its not addictive... it can't hurt ya!

yeah right. Come walk a mile in my shoes. let me introduce you to the destroyed lives.

...got your back Preacher....I wish people could sit in our room and have to hear us dispatch an officer to situations directly involving pot...
..I also used to work for a religious organization called "Right Start Right Step"...and dealt with dozens of alcoholics & drug users ...and I would verify what you said about pot being a stepping stone drug. To a person these ******* have said the same thing.

fansince'76
05-17-2007, 10:21 AM
Sigh - more people confusing industrial hemp with marijuana for recreational use - one big reason why industrial hemp hasn't gone mainstream....

Mistah_Q
05-17-2007, 10:35 AM
Sigh - more people confusing industrial hemp with marijuana for recreational use - one big reason why industrial hemp hasn't gone mainstream....To be fair I did make an argument for both in the initial post. But I only did it because of the stigma hemp comes with, and that few people know the difference.

If you're growing "industrial hemp" you can't even hide "recreational hemp" in your hemp fields, because the industrial varieties are tall, almost corn-like (obviously without the corn. . ) while the type used for pot is short and bushy

verks36
05-17-2007, 10:46 AM
Let me preface this by saying that I've never touched marijuana in my life, and unless I have an ultra-painful neurological disorder, I won't want to. But that isn't the point of this. Also I think that "4-20" being the "weed-smoking holiday" is probably one of the silliest things I've ever heard of. But that also isn't the point of this.

Cannabis/Hemp has so many good uses. . I'll leave that up to individuals whether smoking is a good use but it's such a wonderful resource for food (its oil and seeds) and for its fibers. .

They could put a few logging companies out of business using Hemp to make paper and paper products, and it's so much more easily and quickly renewable than trees. . they can also use hemp to make articles of clothing and fuels. . almost anything that can be made from wood pulp, cotton, or petroleum can be made from hemp.

Using hemp for clothing is environmentally friendly. The hemp plant is naturally resistant to pests and weeds, so the farmer doesn't need to dump toxic pesticides and herbicides on the land. Hemp also requires about 1/20th as much water to grow and process as cotton, and the hemp fiber is up to 4 times stronger than cotton. Fabric made from hemp naturally resists bacteria growth and filters harmful UV light. And thanks to new developments in preparing and finishing the fabric, hemp clothing is super soft and comfortable.

At one time there was a prosperous Hemp industry, most notably in Kentucky. But then came the war against hemp. . it was basically criminalized and eradicated, and they do sweeps each year to destroy and remaining wild hemp they can find. I'll update this with a link once I have enough posts to be allowed to post links.

Just because you can use one variety of the plant to get roughly the buzz of a few hard drinks, this wonderful plant that could be the answer to many problems, is being eradicated. (Conversely, you're allowed to fill your lungs with tar and nicotine smoke, which is far more addictive than cannabis could ever hope to be. . and you're allowed to drink liquor, which has roughly the same effect but unlike hemp, can actually kill you. . . absurd!)

The marijuana aspect is not the point of this - the variety cultivated for marijuana is short and bushy, while the other varieties which are the ones I'm more interested in having legalized are more tall and stalky, and need to be cut before marijuana would be able to be harvested from the shorter ones. But even if it's true (and I believe that it is) that over time smoking weed could kill off a few brain cells and make you slightly duller. . . so can playing football and banging your head against the wall . . . and voting for Sanjaya. But none of those things are illegal now are they? Besides, if someone wants a buzz after a long hard day, or wants some relief from neurological pain. . . then let them have it. Good grief.

Let me reiterate that the recreational and medical uses of marijuana is not the point of this, but the stigma that hemp comes with, that part of the argument needs to be made as well. Industrial hemp is an extremely efficient, versatile, and useful crop, and it's almost senseless to have it outlawed - the industrial breeds contain so little of the chemical found in marijuana hemp that it's not even worth smoking.

On most political issues I'm a rock-solid conservative but hemp shouldn't even be an issue. It needs to be legalized NOW! :twocents:

WOW great read... I totally agree with everything

RoethlisBURGHer
05-17-2007, 11:08 AM
I agree with the industrial hemp argument.

Part of the problem is all the companies that industrial hemp would put out of business.The government doesn't want to see all these companies close down.And they damn sure don't want to see the oil companies close because gasoline is being replaced with industrial hemp fuel.Most of the politicians that are in the federal government make thier money from the petroleum business of refining and selling crude oil.They don't want to see a new fuel come out on the market that is better for the environment,more efficient,and cheaper because they'd all lose thier money.

vasteeler
05-17-2007, 11:50 AM

Thats crazy talk i have smoked pot for a long time and i have never touched another drug
it it way safer than alcohol

Mistah_Q
05-17-2007, 11:54 AM
Thats crazy talk i have smoked pot for a long time and i have never touched another drug
it it way safer than alcoholFor you, yes. It's probably safe to say that it doesn't do the same thing to everybody.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-17-2007, 02:06 PM
Sigh - more people confusing industrial hemp with marijuana for recreational use - one big reason why industrial hemp hasn't gone mainstream....

Not confused at all....I would gamble that I am forced into a position to know more about hemp and pot than the average person. I was just agreeing with Preacher that "Pot" IS dangerous...

Her is the information readily available by the American Psychiatry Institute....which is neither pro-law inforcement or pro-drug.

Marijuana use has reached new highs in Canada and Europe, but not in the U.S. While the pro-marijuana lobby is strong and growing, it would have us believe that law enforcement doesn't work and that marijuana is harmless. Both are untrue. While law enforcement could be done much better, many studies show that it does work. Although marijuana is officially illegal in Canada and Europe, enforcement is very rare. Also, as marijuana use has doubled in Canada and Europe in the last 10 years in high school students and adults, heroin and other drug use have also increased to record levels exceeding those of the U.S. AIDS is also spreading more rapidly in those countries because of needle-sharing which continues despite the ready availability of clean needles very cheaply at the corner pharmacies.

Marijuana is much more addictive and dangerous than the drug abuser community would like you to believe. Psychiatrists deal with hundreds of patients a year who have become seriously mentally ill thanks to the brain damage caused by marijuana. It is a major cause of depression and schizophrenia in our society as well as a factor in preventing our psychiatric treatments from working effectively. It changes the personality, damages the memory, seriously impairs school performance, and causes auto crashes and death for far too many individuals. Marijuana is by far the most prevalent illicit drug and a major gateway drug to cocaine and heroin abuse. Oddly enough, since marijuana use starts so early, it is also a gateway drug leading to tobacco cigarette smoking for a small percentage but large number of youth.

Marijuana is also a very poor drug for medical treatments although it has some very powerful forces promoting its use. The studies for marijuana and schizophrenia, depression, and intellectual impairments all come to the same conclusion, that its medicinal value is limited.

Current governmental enforcement techniques are inefficient and only modestly effective. They keep illicit drugs from becoming rampant without ever eliminating the problem. Research has found that the average drug dealer gets arrested once every 18 years! With better enforcement techniques, dealers could get arrested much more quickly, and penalties could actually be decreased considerably at a great cost savings to the public. More importantly, illicit drugs could almost certainly be eliminated at a tremendous cost savings. We would still be stuck with alcohol and tobacco, but even tobacco use is decreasing.

Ther is a growing support of school and work drug testing programs. While hair-cuttings at the cost of $60 each are probably the best deterrent since they cover a couple month period of time, a simple marijuana urine test is much faster and can be purchased from my office for $3 each. Since marijuana is by far the most common illicit drug and since it stays in the body and urine for one to several weeks, urines tests are fairly good detection methods. Unfortunately, alcohol is out of the system in 12 hours, so tests are of more limited value.

This is not anti-hemp...just a rebuttal for those who have made pro-pot comments.

Cape Cod Steel Head
05-17-2007, 02:20 PM
Thomas Jefferson was a hemp farmer, among other things. If it has little medicinal value I don't understand why 11 states have legalized its use for medicinal purposes.

fansince'76
05-17-2007, 02:37 PM
Not confused at all....I would gamble that I am forced into a position to know more about hemp and pot than the average person. I was just agreeing with Preacher that "Pot" IS dangerous...

This is not anti-hemp...just a rebuttal for those who have made pro-pot comments.

Sorry, LLT - it's just alot of folks blur the line between recreational pot and industrial hemp, as I'm sure you know. It's big business interests keeping industrialized hemp out of the mainstream, IMO. I also support the legalization of recreational marijuana, but only because the current "war" against it is as effective as Prohibition was back in the '20s and early '30s - in a word, it isn't. Make it legal, take the criminal element out of it and then tax the hell out of it, I say.

Crushzilla
05-17-2007, 02:43 PM
Sorry, LLT - it's just alot of folks blur the line between recreational pot and industrial hemp, as I'm sure you know. It's big business interests keeping industrialized hemp out of the mainstream, IMO. I also support the legalization of recreational marijuana, but only because the current "war" against it is as effective as Prohibition was back in the '20s and early '30s - in a word, it isn't. Make it legal, take the criminal element out of it and then tax the hell out of it, I say.

That is my thoughts exactly fansince...

Go ahead and legalize it and tax it. Its not coming off the streets now and then you can keep the money from going to fund criminal organizations. I remember a few years back they were trying some sort of ad campaign saying something like, "if you buy pot, you support terrorism..."

I think that is moronic, personally... and what's the point... you're not gonna change the pot communities mind. So legalize it, grow it, tax it, sell it, rinse, repeat...

fansince'76
05-17-2007, 02:46 PM
I remember a few years back they were trying some sort of ad campaign saying something like, "if you buy pot, you support terrorism..."

Yep, I remember that campaign and I thought it was an extremely weak argument - if you buy gas, your supporting terrorism MORE. The House of Saud are no more our friends than al-Qaeda is.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-17-2007, 03:23 PM
Actually to be specific...30 states and the District of Columbia have laws recognizing marijuana medicinal value...Since 1996 10 states have enacted laws that effectively allow patiants to use marijuana ...and a 12th state, Maryland, has established a law that protects medical marijuana patiants from jail...but not arrest

10 states have "therapeutic Research Program" laws but do not give legal access to medical marijuana

8 states and the District of Columbia solely have symbolic laws that recognize medical marijuana but give no protection from arrest.

BUT....Two major court decisions . U.S. vs. Cannabis Buyers Cooperative...Gonzales vs Raich...and a third that the court deemed redundant, Conant vs Walters ...have confirmed that medical necessity cannot be used to avoud federal prosecution....and that the federal government can arrest and prosecute patients in states where medical marijuana is legal under state law.

Bottom Line: State Law does not supercede state law...so if the Feds want to confiscate your home..business..car...They can if they find drugs there.

Preacher
05-17-2007, 03:27 PM

That is one of the BIGGEST reason why the line gets blurred. Those who argue for industrial hemp, often argue for it as the first step in legalizing pot. Those who speak of it, are also the ones who usually (not always) smoke it. Thus, the two are seen as one in the same.

Hemp as clothing/Rope/ Etc. will become legal when more and more people who do NOT want it legal as a drug argues for it in industrial uses.

Preacher
05-17-2007, 03:28 PM
Actually to be specific...30 states and the District of Columbia have laws recognizing marijuana medicinal value...Since 1996 10 states have enacted laws that effectively allow patiants to use marijuana ...and a 12th state, Maryland, has established a law that protects medical marijuana patiants from jail...but not arrest

10 states have "therapeutic Research Program" laws but do not give legal access to medical marijuana

8 states and the District of Columbia solely have symbolic laws that recognize medical marijuana but give no protection from arrest.

BUT....Two major court decisions . U.S. vs. Cannabis Buyers Cooperative...Gonzales vs Raich...and a third that the court deemed redundant, Conant vs Walters ...have confirmed that medical necessity cannot be used to avoud federal prosecution....and that the federal government can arrest and prosecute patients in states where medical marijuana is legal under state law.

Bottom Line: State Law does not supercede state law...so if the Feds want to confiscate your home..business..car...They can if they find drugs there.

YEP....

Now, get ready for the states rights arguments.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-17-2007, 03:34 PM
YEP....

Now, get ready for the states rights arguments.

Mute point..already went to Supreme Court...States lost.

I know what you mean though...there will be those who state that the state has the right to make laws that override federal law

MasterOfPuppets
05-17-2007, 03:49 PM
Mute point..already went to Supreme Court...States lost.

I know what you mean though...there will be those who state that the state has the right to make laws that override federal law

but when the doctor writes the script for maijuana, you don't go to the local corner dope peddler to get it filled. so why aren't the feds busting the people supplying it to medical facilities?

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-17-2007, 03:53 PM
but when the doctor writes the script for maijuana, you don't go to the local corner dope peddler to get it filled. so why aren't the feds busting the people supplying it to medical facilities?

99% of drug busts are local and state...but they are...that is what the first court case was about

Stlrs4Life
05-17-2007, 06:11 PM
I agree Mistah Q. It could be a great use for alot of things. Problem is, it would get abused just like everything else.

Oh, and I never touched the stuff either.

HometownGal
05-17-2007, 06:33 PM

Good post, FOS. :thumbsup: I smoked pot in moderation during my college years (who didn't in the 70's - LOL!) and never touched any other illegal drug - never had the desire to. I have no problem whatsoever with the legalization of marijuana/hemp for either recreational or industrial use. After all - alcohol is legal and gives a user the same effect as giggle weed, so what's the problem?

If the hemp/dookie Nazis want to reduce the number of weed smokers, legalize it! It's not as much fun and doesn't have the same effect when it's legal. :thumbsup:

83-Steelers-43
05-17-2007, 06:48 PM

IMO, I have no problem with people using it for rope/paper. I really don't care one way or another. I do have a problem with little Johnny and his friends jumping in their car after school or on the way home from the bar, stopping by the local Get-Go to grab a pack of joints, firing one up and driving on the same road that me and my family drive on. It's bad enough we have idiots out there who get tanked off alcohol and decide to drive behind a wheel. If somebody has that big of a hard on for reefer travel to Mexico or Amsterdam and burn your skull.

I know, I'm crazy.

Maidenarcher
05-17-2007, 08:03 PM

I couldn't agree with you more about industrial hemp. It is definitely a resource that we should be taking advantage of....You know, I even here that you can use it in cooking.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-18-2007, 08:45 AM
IMO, I have no problem with people using it for rope/paper. I really don't care one way or another. I do have a problem with little Johnny and his friends jumping in their car after school or on the way home from the bar, stopping by the local Get-Go to grab a pack of joints, firing one up and driving on the same road that me and my family drive on. It's bad enough we have idiots out there who get tanked off alcohol and decide to drive behind a wheel. If somebody has that big of a hard on for reefer travel to Mexico or Amsterdam and burn your skull.

I know, I'm crazy.

...and the next step up from a beer is hard liquor...which just gets you more drunk....the step up from pot is herion and meth..and crack.....Its easier to help the whino than the crackhead

Crushzilla
05-18-2007, 08:48 AM
...and the next step up from a beer is hard liquor...which just gets you more drunk....the step up from pot is herion and meth..and crack.....It easier to help the whino than the crackhead

Hmm never thought of it like that... That arguement, my good sir, may have some merit...

rbryan
05-18-2007, 06:41 PM
The war against drugs is one of the greatest hypocracies in this country. We spend millions of dollars to keep "illegal" drugs off the streets in the name of protecting the people, yet the government stands by quietly as the big pharmasuetical companies are putting us all to sleep.

Turn on your TV tonight and count how many commecrcials you see from pharmasuetical companies. Doctors have always been the biggest drug dealers, pushing whatever the big drug companies are paying them handsomely to prescribe has been the norm for years. Who's going to protect you from the long term affects of taking multiple prescriptions at once? People need to wake up and realize whats happening.

I'm in no way saying that pot should be legal. Just taking this opportunity to express my point of view since we are somewhat on the topic.

GBMelBlount
05-18-2007, 09:37 PM
Good post, FOS. :thumbsup: I smoked pot in moderation during my college years (who didn't in the 70's - LOL!) and never touched any other illegal drug - never had the desire to. I have no problem whatsoever with the legalization of marijuana/hemp for either recreational or industrial use. After all - alcohol is legal and gives a user the same effect as giggle weed, so what's the problem?

If the hemp/dookie Nazis want to reduce the number of weed smokers, legalize it! It's not as much fun and doesn't have the same effect when it's legal. :thumbsup:

Ditto HTG, we had a bong in college called the "Octopus" :sofunny:. Nothing since. But I am wondering why so many people are moving to Hempfield PA! Anyway, as with most great arguments, there are compelling arguments to both sides. I wonder if alcohol & weed were both legal, which would cause more problems??????

MACH1
05-18-2007, 10:34 PM
Ditto HTG, we had a bong in college called the "Octopus" :sofunny:. Nothing since. But I am wondering why so many people are moving to Hempfield PA! Anyway, as with most great arguments, there are compelling arguments to both sides. I wonder if alcohol & weed were both legal, which would cause more problems??????

How many people have died from a pot od, compared to alcohol poisoning deaths. I dont think you can od with pot. Unless you count turning yourself into a couch zombie.

GBMelBlount
05-18-2007, 11:02 PM
How many people have died from a pot od, compared to alcohol poisoning deaths. I dont think you can od with pot. Unless you count turning yourself into a couch zombie.

asdfdfdfas

Preacher
05-18-2007, 11:08 PM

Actually, a better question is,

How many people have lost life ambition, dropped out of school, lost goals, etc. because of pot.

When I was a youth pastor (and even now), whenever I saw that happening, I worried about two things... the kid starting smoking pot, or the kid had suffered through abuse.

It got to the point where if I knew the youth... I would open up the conversation with "So how long have you been smoking pot?" About 10 seconds of wide-eyed, gaping mouth silence followed, usually with a question then stammered out... something along the lnes of, "How did you know?"

MACH1
05-19-2007, 01:03 AM

How many people have lost life ambition, dropped out of school, lost goals, etc. because of pot.

When I was a youth pastor (and even now), whenever I saw that happening, I worried about two things... the kid starting smoking pot, or the kid had suffered through abuse.

It got to the point where if I knew the youth... I would open up the conversation with "So how long have you been smoking pot?" About 10 seconds of wide-eyed, gaping mouth silence followed, usually with a question then stammered out... something along the lnes of, "How did you know?"

True, but the same could be said about alcohol. Abuse either and end up in the same boat. imo

But to get back on track about hemp, I think its something that should be used as a resource in other areas.

MACH1
05-19-2007, 01:10 AM
asdfdfdfas

:hunch:

Preacher
05-19-2007, 02:07 AM
True, but the same could be said about alcohol. Abuse either and end up in the same boat. imo

But to get back on track about hemp, I think its something that should be used as a resource in other areas.

Actually, I have not seen it with alcohol like I have seen it with pot...nor have I seen it in teh time frame. I am talking withh a few weeks.

However, about Hemp... I have no problem with it being a resource in other areass, as long as it is not a push to create momentum for all types of Hemp, including pot.

rbryan
05-19-2007, 08:59 AM

I think you hit the nail on the head Preacher. Just because it may not lead everyone to harder drugs doesn't mean it isn't bad. I speak from personal experience when I say it can rob you of your ambition. I spent several wasted years just getting by while smoking it. I believe it is just as addictive as any other drug including alcohol. Having said that, I support a persons right to live thier own life. In the long run is it more destructive than alcohol or any number of legal medications prescribed everyday?? Probably not, but to me that's more of a reason to stop drinking than to start smoking.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-19-2007, 09:24 AM
The war against drugs is one of the greatest hypocracies in this country. We spend millions of dollars to keep "illegal" drugs off the streets in the name of protecting the people, yet the government stands by quietly as the big pharmasuetical companies are putting us all to sleep.

Turn on your TV tonight and count how many commecrcials you see from pharmasuetical companies. Doctors have always been the biggest drug dealers, pushing whatever the big drug companies are paying them handsomely to prescribe has been the norm for years. Who's going to protect you from the long term affects of taking multiple prescriptions at once? People need to wake up and realize whats happening.

I'm in no way saying that pot should be legal. Just taking this opportunity to express my point of view since we are somewhat on the topic.

The war for pot is one of the greatest hypocracies in this country. We spend millions of dollars in trying to legalize drugs in the name of saving the people tax dollars, yet the government stands by quietly as the big snack companies are putting us all to sleep.

Turn on your TV tonight and count how many commercials you see from junk food companies. Frito Lay and Hostess have always been the biggest drug proponants, pushing whatever legislation possible to pay them handsomely when you get the munchies, this has been the norm for years. Who's going to protect you from the long term affects of bedonkadonk butt and thunder thighs? People need to wake up and realize whats happening.

I'm in no way saying that junk food is bad. Just taking this opportunity to express my point of view since we are somewhat on the topic.

(To paraphrase Captain Miller from "Saving Private Ryan"...Reiben, pay attention: now, this is the way to be sarcastic.... Continue, Jackson)

rbryan
05-19-2007, 11:21 AM
Make light if you like. That is your perogative. I think the big difference is that most people realize that eating junk food, drinking ,smoking, etc.. is bad for them. But because a doctor prescibes a certain medication it must be good for you.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-19-2007, 11:48 AM
Make light if you like. That is your perogative. I think the big difference is that most people realize that eating junk food, drinking ,smoking, etc.. is bad for them. But because a doctor prescibes a certain medication it must be good for you.

MY doctor always asks what prescriptions I am taking before he prescribes anything else....I would think that it is common practice.

83-Steelers-43
05-19-2007, 11:48 AM
(To paraphrase Captain Miller from "Saving Private Ryan"...Reiben, pay attention: now, this is the way to be sarcastic.... Continue, Jackson)

Excellent movie. "Don't shoot, let'em burn!!!"

"The Pacific" is coming out some time in the near future! Sorry to get off topic..lol.

rbryan
05-19-2007, 12:24 PM
MY doctor always asks what prescriptions I am taking before he prescribes anything else....I would think that it is common practice.

My grandmother was on 9 different medications at the end, all prescibed by the same doctor. You think he knows what all 9 do to you long term?? You can choose to ignore if you like, once again that is your perogative.

Can you honestly say that you haven't noticed in the past few years the number of advertisements on TV for pharmasueticals has increased dramatically? Not saying that makes YOUR doctor a bad guy.

Theres a lot of doctors in the phone book, all with huge mortgages and mercedes payments, you do the math.

Stlrs4Life
05-19-2007, 05:33 PM
So true.

Preacher
05-19-2007, 05:51 PM
My grandmother was on 9 different medications at the end, all prescibed by the same doctor. You think he knows what all 9 do to you long term?? You can choose to ignore if you like, once again that is your perogative.

Can you honestly say that you haven't noticed in the past few years the number of advertisements on TV for pharmasueticals has increased dramatically? Not saying that makes YOUR doctor a bad guy.

Theres a lot of doctors in the phone book, all with huge mortgages and mercedes payments, you do the math.

I often believe that doctors over-prescribe. However the difference is, those drugs are prescribed for specific ailments, after going through YEARS of testing, most of which is paid for by those very same BIG DRUG companies that we all like to hate so much. The billion dollars they bring in this year pays for the cure for AIDS next month/year/decade/century.

The war on drugs and the problem with over-prescribing are very different. Also, the patient has the right to say no, I don't want to take more drugs, lets find a different way.

MACH1
05-19-2007, 08:22 PM
A lot of prescribed drugs do not interact too well together. Thats where most problems arise from.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-20-2007, 10:24 AM

Interesting that you bring up mercedes and motgages...I would say the answer is.....When looking for a family doctor, put as much thought and time into it as you would where you live or what you drive. You can get out of your car and house.....your stuck in your body 24/7.

Like Preacher said...you always have the right and responsibility to question your doctor....HE isnt doing you a favor, there are thousands of doctors....YOU are doing him a favor through your solicitation.

SteelCzar76
05-23-2007, 09:04 PM

Very well said Fansince. But,....marijuana like any other 'street drug' indigeneous to another nation will never be legalized.

What i mean by this is,.....more revenue is generated because they are 'illegal'. You receive X amount of dollars from said 'suppliers' to 'allow' a certain percentage within your borders.

You then in turn allow X amount of 'undesirables' (ie: the poor,..race is not the issue),...to sell the said product and accumulate wealth and assets which you in turn seize when you arrest them. ( the latter of which you liquidate at a profit.) And then go before state and or the Federal gov. and ask for more funds to 'build more prisons'. So as to house these "monsters" and "lowlifes". As well as to continue the "War on drugs". Funds which a percentage of are 'skimmed' so to speak,....as well as providing for entirely different 'industry'.

Bottom line,....drugs of any kind can and very well may ruin the lives of many whom lack the will for whatever reason to overcome them. And for those whom sincerely stand against this from a moral perspective,...your are indeed correct. But let us not for one moment believe that 'morality' has anything to do with our current 'Laws' regarding 'drugs' and or any other vice.

Preacher
05-23-2007, 09:39 PM
Very well said Fansince. But,....marijuana like any other 'street drug' indigeneous to another nation will never be legalized.

What i mean by this is,.....more revenue is generated because they are 'illegal'. You receive X amount of dollars from said 'suppliers' to 'allow' a certain percentage within your borders.

You then in turn allow X amount of 'undesirables' (ie: the poor,..race is not the issue),...to sell the said product and accumulate wealth and assets which you in turn seize when you arrest them. ( the latter of which you liquidate at a profit.) And then go before state and or the Federal gov. and ask for more funds to 'build more prisons'. So as to house these "monsters" and "lowlifes". As well as to continue the "War on drugs". Funds which a percentage of are 'skimmed' so to speak,....as well as providing for entirely different 'industry'.

Bottom line,....drugs of any kind can and very well may ruin the lives of many whom lack the will for whatever reason to overcome them. And for those whom sincerely stand against this from a moral perspective,...your are indeed correct. But let us not for one moment believe that 'morality' has anything to do with our current 'Laws' regarding 'drugs' and or any other vice.

You would be right... in the last few years. However, almost ALL the laws passed aganst drugs and alcohol up through the 1930's were ALL based on Morality.

tony hipchest
05-23-2007, 09:42 PM
george bush sr's "war on drugs" was a complete flop and waste of money. i wish those same efforts were given to finishing off sadaam or preventing terrorism (such as the initial trade center attacks)

SteelCzar76
05-23-2007, 10:19 PM
You would be right... in the last few years. However, almost ALL the laws passed aganst drugs and alcohol up through the 1930's were ALL based on Morality.

Maybe for the majority of 'John Q public' as those were indeed morally different times at least on a cosmetic level. (As people as a whole were still in truth just as savage and as governed by vice as ever)

But for the small number of those actually in 'power' it was the same case as it is now Padre. Advancement and control.

But make no mistake,...i respect the 'game'. As there must always be 'balance',...at the very least in this form of existence.

Hammer67
05-24-2007, 08:28 AM
Maybe for the majority of 'John Q public' as those were indeed morally different times at least on a cosmetic level. (As people as a whole were still in truth just as savage and as governed by vice as ever)

But for the small number of those actually in 'power' it was the same case as it is now Padre. Advancement and control.

But make no mistake,...i respect the 'game'. As there must always be 'balance',...at the very least in this form of existence.

Some valid points. But I am for legalization as it is a hypocrisy that our nation has legalized alcohol and tobacco which are far more destructive then marijuana. I don't see why it couldn't be handled and regulated like cigarettes. I am sure many of those tobacco fields in Kentucky will be repopulated with the hemp plant if this was the case...imagine how much money he government would save by taxing the hell out of pot!!!

They would also save on the back-end by not wasting tax payer money jailing pot dealers (who could be your little sister or brother, or friend, or uncle, etc.). With legalized distribution, there would be little need to smuggle it or have a black market...much like when alcohol prohibition was overturned...the speakeasies and underground booze operations died out.

:coffee:

SteelCzar76
05-26-2007, 12:13 AM
Some valid points. But I am for legalization as it is a hypocrisy that our nation has legalized alcohol and tobacco which are far more destructive then marijuana. I don't see why it couldn't be handled and regulated like cigarettes. I am sure many of those tobacco fields in Kentucky will be repopulated with the hemp plant if this was the case...imagine how much money he government would save by taxing the hell out of pot!!!

They would also save on the back-end by not wasting tax payer money jailing pot dealers (who could be your little sister or brother, or friend, or uncle, etc.). With legalized distribution, there would be little need to smuggle it or have a black market...much like when alcohol prohibition was overturned...the speakeasies and underground booze operations died out.

:coffee:

And you are correct Hammer. But then this is where the true meaning of Marijuana's "gateway" properties come into play.

As by legalizing it our goverment would then open themselves up for the legalization of other drugs such as cocaine and heroine as well. As the proponents of the two latter would argue that they (powers that be) no longer have a 'Moral' stance to do otherwise in light of the decision to make Marijuana "legal".

And as we all know,....the leading producers of these particular drugs are currently third world nations. Some of which,....being in the middle east are not exactly our biggest 'supporters' so to speak.

Ie: we would then be empowering other nations for better or worse. As well as opening ourselves up to an entirely new form of 'foriegn leverage' if you will. (Not to mention,.....it would put nearly half of our law enforcement 'industry' out of buisness) LOL

Hammer67
05-26-2007, 10:26 AM
And you are correct Hammer. But then this is where the true meaning of Marijuana's "gateway" properties come into play.

As by legalizing it our government would then open themselves up for the legalization of other drugs such as cocaine and heroine as well. As the proponents of the two latter would argue that they (powers that be) no longer have a 'Moral' stance to do otherwise in light of the decision to make Marijuana "legal".

And as we all know,....the leading producers of these particular drugs are currently third world nations. Some of which,....being in the middle east are not exactly our biggest 'supporters' so to speak.

Ie: we would then be empowering other nations for better or worse. As well as opening ourselves up to an entirely new form of 'foreign leverage' if you will. (Not to mention,.....it would put nearly half of our law enforcement 'industry' out of buisness) LOL

Possibly, to some extent, but I don't buy the "gateway" drug theory. I wouldn't touch Heroin but i would smoke a joint again. There is a medical case you can make against heroin and cocaine. Both of those drugs are physically addictive and medically dangerous. Marijuana is not physically addictive and is much safer then alcohol. I have never heard of someone OD'ing on it.

Besides, if it was legalized and turning into a cash crop, don't you think the extensive and fertile farmlands in the US would be come a major supplier? Thus alleviating much of the market for the criminal elements outside the country?

Regarding law enforcement...send them to protect the borders! ;)

I think then, you could direct their resources to actually stopping more violent crime instead of wasting taxpayer money on chasing some college kids smoking pot.