PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger's Rating

steelwolf21
05-19-2007, 08:38 AM
Si.com posted their ratings for the QB's in the upcoming year. I reckon they've got it pretty nailed save for the questionable decision to put Vick at 10. If he misses half the year from suspension he's hardly going to qualify as a top 10 and even if he plays unless Petrino is an NFL legend he's not going to be top 10, but what do you all think of Big Ben at 7?

From si.com:

Like all great sports arguments, this debate began at a bar, with a number of SI.com colleagues earlier this week. The challenge: rank the 32 projected starting quarterbacks. The criteria: how will they perform in 2007, factoring intangibles such as winning and leadership along with statistics. Marc Bulger may have better numbers than Tom Brady, but that doesn't make Bulger more valuable.

After No. 5, this gets very difficult, but if you disagree with any of my rankings, I'll gladly set you straight in a FanNation Throwdown at any time.

Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Carson Palmer
Drew Brees
Philip Rivers
Donovan McNabb
Ben Roethlisberger
Marc Bulger
Matt Hasselbeck
Michael Vick
Tony Romo
Matt Leinart
Jay Cutler
Vince Young
Brett Favre
Steve McNair
Alex Smith
Jeff Garcia
Jake Delhomme
Chad Pennington
Jon Kitna
Eli Manning
Damon Huard
Trent Green (assuming he's a Dolphin)
Jason Campbell
Rex Grossman
Byron Leftwich
J.P. Losman
Matt Schaub
Josh McCown
Tarvaris Jackson
Charlie Frye

Atlanta Dan
05-19-2007, 08:45 AM
Based on 2006 alone I think a rating of #7 for Ben is generous. That rating appears to be based on the assumption, which I share, that Ben will bounce back in 2007.

I question the love for Rivers; he tailed off at the end of 2006 much like Ben did at the end of 2004. As for Palmer, the media has a serious mancrush on a QB who has never won a playoff game and coughed up the football on a regular basis last season.

Godfather
05-19-2007, 08:57 AM
I think they have McNabb a little too high as well--he's been too injury prone the last few years.

JP Losman has a higher career QB rating than Eli and the same number of playoff wins.

SteelersMongol
05-19-2007, 11:27 AM
Carson Palmer at #3? Got to be kidding me. Look at all the "lesser" QBs that are lined after him. It must be a joke.

yinzer-inseattle
05-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Interesting that they've bunched the 2006 QB 1st rounders at 12-14 I think Leinart will break into the top 10 with Cutler and Young dropping into the bottom half. Just a hunch.

FastWillieParker39
05-19-2007, 12:19 PM
As for Palmer, the media has a serious mancrush on a QB who has never won a playoff game and coughed up the football on a regular basis last season.

I KNOW! I don't even think Palmer is that great of a QB. Palmer who has had a better group of WR's than the Steelers has under performed with those WR's.

83-Steelers-43
05-19-2007, 12:24 PM
I would have put Bulger and Hasselbeck before Ben. Apparently Ben has a fan at SI. Eitherway, it's fun watching SI (and every other sports news outlet) continue to pimp Michael Vick to no end. I wonder what will be the excuses after this next season?

Newzfoxjr
05-19-2007, 12:41 PM
I think Brees is better than Palmer, personally. What's up with everyone loving Palmer? =\

steelersfanman92
05-19-2007, 12:54 PM
Palmer is way overrated, how can you put him over Brees

Jeremy
05-19-2007, 12:58 PM
Si.com posted their ratings for the QB's in the upcoming year. I reckon they've got it pretty nailed save for the questionable decision to put Vick at 10. If he misses half the year from suspension he's hardly going to qualify as a top 10 and even if he plays unless Petrino is an NFL legend he's not going to be top 10, but what do you all think of Big Ben at 7?

From si.com:

Like all great sports arguments, this debate began at a bar, with a number of SI.com colleagues earlier this week. The challenge: rank the 32 projected starting quarterbacks. The criteria: how will they perform in 2007, factoring intangibles such as winning and leadership along with statistics. Marc Bulger may have better numbers than Tom Brady, but that doesn't make Bulger more valuable.

After No. 5, this gets very difficult, but if you disagree with any of my rankings, I'll gladly set you straight in a FanNation Throwdown at any time.

Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Carson Palmer
Drew Brees
Philip Rivers
Donovan McNabb
Ben Roethlisberger
Marc Bulger
Matt Hasselbeck
Michael Vick
Tony Romo
Matt Leinart
Jay Cutler
Vince Young
Brett Favre
Steve McNair
Alex Smith
Jeff Garcia
Jake Delhomme
Chad Pennington
Jon Kitna
Eli Manning
Damon Huard
Trent Green (assuming he's a Dolphin)
Jason Campbell
Rex Grossman
Byron Leftwich
J.P. Losman
Matt Schaub
Josh McCown
Tarvaris Jackson
Charlie Frye

Wow.....where to start with that pile of dogcrap?

Matt Leinart ahead of Brett Farve might be the biggest reach since Julia Roberts married Lyle Lovett. Phillip Rivers in front of two quarterbacks who have actually won conference championship games is a joke. And Alex Smith even being ahead of Jake Delhomme almost makes me feel sorry for the writer.

FastWillieParker39
05-19-2007, 01:06 PM
Jay Cutler over Brett Favre??!!

WOW! That list is horrible

fansince'76
05-19-2007, 01:57 PM
I would have put Bulger and Hasselbeck before Ben. Apparently Ben has a fan at SI. Eitherway, it's fun watching SI (and every other sports news outlet) continue to pimp Michael Vick to no end. I wonder what will be the excuses after this next season?

Hint: Dogfighting and being "distracted" due to it. :chuckle:

83-Steelers-43
05-19-2007, 02:05 PM

I can easily see that.

fansince'76
05-19-2007, 02:05 PM
Jay Cutler over Brett Favre??!!

WOW! That list is horrible

Yes, the list, much like SI itself, is a joke. Glad I saw the light and canceled my subscription to it almost 10 years ago.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-19-2007, 04:00 PM
See the list was made on these QBs in what these writers think how the QBs will perform in 2007 and not based on their past accomplishments. Thats how I'm taking it.

TackleMeBen
05-19-2007, 05:56 PM

did someone say dogfighting... i bet michael vick will have a front row seat for that..or is it a front row seat watching the steelers win another superbowl:banana:

steelwolf21
05-19-2007, 08:20 PM
I don't know I think they have it fairly good obviously no one can agree 100% but if it was me, based on who is going to help their team WIN the most next year (or another way, who would be most sorely missed if they went down injured, but quality of back up not taken into account) I'd put:

1. Peyton Manning: speaks for itself who are the Colts w/o Manning?
2. Tom Brady: not quite as essential as Manning but who can argue with the rings?
3. Drew Brees: as essential as Manning just not as good a team
4. Donovan McNabb: ditto when healthy as I really hope he'll be
5. Marc Bulger: pretty good team, pretty good QB
6. Carson Palmer: unlike alot of others I have a healthy respect for Palmer and the Bengals
7. Matt Hasselbeck: Everyone forgets about Seattle, but he is pretty good
8. Brett Favre: a glorious last hurrah ala 'the bus?'
9. Ben Roethlisberger: nough said
10. Philip Rivers: almost as essential as Berger but not quite nor quite as good
11. Vince Young: Honestly I expect the Madden curse to level him, but he can lead
12. Matt Leinart: can Wizz do it? Leinart looked pretty good last year
13. Chad Pennington: so did Pennington
14. Jake Delhomme: I think he can bounce back from last year and play well
15. Byron Leftwich: ditto
16. Alex Smith: up and comming
17. Jay Cutler: didn't really see them play much last year but he's got to be an improvement on Jake the Snake who looked horrible
18. J.P. Losman: started to get going but its always hard in a defensive AFC East
19. Daunte Culpepper: He was a pretty good QB at one point and I still think he can do it, plus Trent Green's old and concussed
20. Steve McNair: how many ways can you say old? How about injury prone?
21. Jason Campbell: Supposedly he's been looking good in training camp then again they'll say anything to inspire fans these days...
22. Tarvaris Jackson: I really liked him in the preseason I think one more year with Childress and he may be good
23. Eli Manning: Basically he sucks I'd go so far as to say if not a 1st round bust then a fair dissapointment
24. Josh McCown: he seemed alright with the Cards maybe he can do something here?
25. Rex Grossman: His back is against the wall but honsetly I don't think it'll help
26. Damon Huard: Did you see the Chiefs game last year funny stuff...
27. Jon Kitna: Well he ain't no Carson Palmer that's for sure but then again at least he's not Joey Harrington
28. Jeff Garcia: It was the Eagles team not him and who says he beats out Chris Simms anyway?
29. Tony Romo: He sucks in just about every way possible, now that teams have game tape on him I think its the end...
30. Matt Schaub: 3 starts? what like 1 TD and 3 picks or something? Where do they get off on saying he's a starting QB? What do they know we don't? The only reason he's not dead last is so far he hasn't joined former teammates dog fighting rings and we know what we're gonna get from Charlie Frye
31. Charlie Frye: Yeah that about sums it up
32. Michael Vick: will he even play half the season? If he does maybe mid to late twenties in value?

There you go thought I'd throw some exlpanations in!

Preacher
05-19-2007, 08:27 PM
As much as I dislike his off-season decision making, I have to put Vick MUCH higher then that.

Also, I have to put Ben in the middle. Why? Because the question was, "Who would be the most sorely missed."

Because we have an excellent backup in Batch, we would not miss Ben as much if he went down injured, unlike Atlanta if Vick went down.

Yeah, I would also put Palmer up there. The team rises or falls on Palmer, as well as the Pats and Colts on thier respective QB's.

coachspeak33
05-20-2007, 09:37 AM
carson palmer...is a picture perfect pcket passer....he has explosive weapons around him...a steady running game....and above ave O-line when healthy....has the ability to put up monster numbers in games vs lesser opponents

BUT

is mobility is less than satisfactory...he doesnt throw on the move half as close as he throws standing in the pocket...so the book on palmer is simple....pressure him....dont give he and his WR time to execute longer routes....

Whats all that add up to????
1 playoff appearance in three seasons
1 season over .500
1 sub .500 season
1 right at .500

I would love to see what his numbers and record was against some of the top teams

Inspite of all of this, every single year you here the talkinig heads talk about how this guy is an MVP candidate. Is he a solid QB??? Sure, but MVP year in and year out???? Not in my book

#3 is way too high for him in my book.

I dont buy Romo too much either

I think Favre is way too low....he doesnt have very much talent to work with up there....I think he can play the QB position better than alot of those guys ahead of him...but his supporting cast....well lets just say they are still in the earliest of rebuilding phases

LambertIsGod58
05-20-2007, 10:02 AM
Roethlisberger in the top 10 to me is laughable....Being in the Top 10 should be reserved who win games with their arms...Ben, since he has been a Steeler, has had great O-lines and Defenses. Asking him to just not turn the ball over hardly makes him a top 10 QB. Get off his jock until he does something. He had a horrible SB and a horrible season last year.

coachspeak33
05-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Roethlisberger in the top 10 to me is laughable....Being in the Top 10 should be reserved who win games with their arms...Ben, since he has been a Steeler, has had great O-lines and Defenses. Asking him to just not turn the ball over hardly makes him a top 10 QB. Get off his jock until he does something. He had a horrible SB and a horrible season last year.

obviously parts of last season serve as blemishes on Ben's resume...but his play in the three AFC playoff games during the SB run cant be denied....and strong D and running game aside...he did carry us in the 4th quarter of several games his rookie year...and he has led quite a few game winning drives in his career....bottom third of the top 10-12 sounds about right to me

fansince'76
05-20-2007, 12:03 PM

You missed the playoff games with the Colts and Broncos in '05, I take it? We sure as hell didn't win either of those games running the ball down the opposition's throat. Maybe we should trade for Old Man Favre, since you were "on his jock" so much in another thread....

tony hipchest
05-20-2007, 12:09 PM
2 games vs the cheifs and falcons showed ben is more than capable of winning with his arm. i think it was in 05 when he had the highest yardage total for any qb in a single game. ben passes pretty well on practically every 3rd down, in shotgun formation, when everybody knows what the play is gonna be.

of course 7th is arguable as either too high or too low, but fair nonetheless

TackleMeBen
05-20-2007, 12:28 PM
7 is fair, unconsidering everything that happen to ben the past year. Lets not forget that the Oline for the steelers was horrible, and how do you expect ben to throw the ball when he was on his back most of the time? If we were rating basically on last year's performance then i would have to put ben between 15-20.(and that is being fair)

Steeldude
05-20-2007, 02:48 PM
vince young over garcia? vince young is just another running QB.

rbryan
05-21-2007, 12:39 PM
SI is a joke. After the first 5, this is like picking the best looking cow at a 4H show.

ben2hines=6
05-22-2007, 02:59 PM
HAHA eli manning.....i wonder if he'd rather be in san diego :sofunny:

qbvision.com
05-22-2007, 05:26 PM
Interesting that they've bunched the 2006 QB 1st rounders at 12-14 I think Leinart will break into the top 10 with Cutler and Young dropping into the bottom half. Just a hunch.

I dont think your hunch for Young dropping is correct..this guy is a monster and continues to get better every game..watch out

As Ben goes please limit the INT's..throw it away or Tomlin will insert Batch!!