PDA

View Full Version : Who Is The Team To Beat In The AFC North?

Elvis
05-21-2007, 08:26 AM
Now, I am a true Black N Gold kind of guy and I Always Will Be. But here is my question for all my fellow pals here on the fever.....
Who is the Team to beat in the AFC North this year?
The most improved team this coming season could in my opinion be the Browns. They added Quinn and Thomas in this years draft and if .. IF... Winslow is healthy, then this offense should be pretty decent.
Cincinnati... well, their offense will only carry them so far. If their defense steps up and plays very well, then they have a chance as long as they get weekends out of ... well, you know where!
Baltimore... I really think that they will be very strong on defense as usuall, but their offense just hasnt got the passing game to get them over the top. Reed is the best FS in the game when he is healthy and playing at his best. But McNair and the offense has got to give that running game some help. I think that McGahee will help trememdously, and this could be the missing link that this team needed to get over the top... Overrated is my term of the Ravens.
Steelers....well, without all the turnovers last year, we were pretty competitive against the better teams, except the Ravens. Big Ben must get his head back right and lets see what Santonio Holmes can do. I think the Barlow could end up playing a bigger role than what I thought. Does anyone think that Willlie Parker CANT be our goalline runner? If you dont think that he can do the job, then I think that we all need to watch the game film on the Saints game this past season. Because, I think he runs as hard as anyone and with last year being really his first season as starting RB full time.. I look forward to seeing what he can accomplish with a passing game intact myself...Have fun and God Bless

Livinginthe past
05-21-2007, 09:14 AM
The team to beat?

My money is on the Ravens - their D was flat out excellent all last season and in regular season games McNair to Heap, Mason and Clayton should generate enough offense for them to be competitive on offense.

McGahee has been highly rated as an RB, I think he can put up some yardage as long as the passing game provides a decent decoy so that he isn't seing 8/9 in the box.

The Steelers are solid across the board - its rare in football that guy deserves a 'pass' for a whole year but im going to give Ben one (no puns please) due to the upheaval caused by his various injuries.

I'm sure Tomlin will eradicate the foolish, undisciplined elements that were a trademark of last years team - it would be interesting to hear 'team leader' Faneca's thoughts on the dismal failing of his unit last year which let Ben get beaten up like a Pinata on too many occasions.

Willie put up some serious yardage with the same poor O-Line play - if they up their game we can expect the same production, if not better.

As a game time coach I have no idea what to expect from Tomlin - his D was caught totally unawares by the Patriots O last year - he made no attempt to change things up once Belichick sent his offense out with empty backfields on nearly every down.

The Bengals continue to be an enigma - they got totally outplayed by a New England team last year that wasn't in its best form - their look great on paper but they must get fundamentally better on D (particularly run D) if they want to come out on top in the AFCN.

The Browns may pull a few surprises by are still, at least, another year away from even being potential challengers for the AFCN.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-21-2007, 10:05 AM
I dont know LITP....on defense they have no idea who the RDE and ROLB are going to be and on offense Mason is only adequate...The O-line is weaker than its been in a long time...Ogden is on his last legs...and since you & I know that he can be beat by a speed rusher...I think most teams know that also...(although I dont recall the Steelers taking advantage of that fact like they should have)....Jason Brown will be taking Edwin Mulitalo left guard slot ...and Adam Terry is the potential starter at RT after the departure of Tony Pashos

rbryan
05-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Considering the way they handled us last year its got to be the Ravens. I believe Cincy is on the way back down. They'll be back in another 15 years or so. (Just like locust) The Browns are still a year or two away from challenging but can overtake Cincy this year to stay out of last place IMO.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-21-2007, 11:26 AM
It's the defending champs the Baltimore Ravens.

They threw us around like rag dolls.I was truly embarassed after our two outings against them.

rbryan
05-21-2007, 11:54 AM
I'm always looking for a conspiracy so take this with a grain of salt, but in those two games it looked like they knew what play we were calling before the snap. I know this sounds like I'm paranoid and a hater on the Ravens but I can't shake that feeling. I watched most every Ravens games last year and they just didn't look anywhere near that good against anyone else.

MACH1
05-21-2007, 12:16 PM
All of them.

PisnNapalm
05-21-2007, 12:23 PM
Ravens have to be the front runner. It's a "What have you done lately?" kind of league. A Super Bowl win 2 years ago isn't gonna put us on top now.

Edman
05-21-2007, 12:27 PM
I say the Ravens too, but something just strikes me as odd about those two butt whippings they gave the Steelers though.

For the love of God, how did it happen? It's so puzzling. The Bengals and Colts handled them so easily, yet we couldn't even score a damn point against them until the second game? Don't get me wrong, they were a pretty good team, but the Steelers weren't that bad. Not THAT bad. Maybe because Cowher was so damn predictable, no wonder the Ravens knew what was coming. These two debacles are more at fault of the Steelers than the Ravens. Ravens/Steelers games are hard-hitting physcal contests and very competitive, but this....this was a joke(Unless you're a Ravens fan). God, what an embarrassment.

But what's done is done, the Steelers got their butts handed to them, and it's time to look forward to next year against the Rats.

verks36
05-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Serouly all the teams in the AFC north are going to be very improved from last year the brownies line is going to be very very solid but until someone knocks off the rat birds it is the rat birds

lilyoder6
05-21-2007, 01:01 PM
i think that our division is getting to become the best in the nfl. with the browns actually getting good ppl in the draft and FA they are going to do good.. and the steelers will be good as long as ben doesn't try to force things.. the ravens will be good with there run game and the bengals will be good if they can stay out of jail.

Counselor
05-21-2007, 04:01 PM
There is never an easy game in the AFC North (with perhaps the exception of xmas eve '05). Most writers call it the toughest division in the NFL---can you name a tougher one? No team has won back to back championships in a while.

Baltimore is the de-facto team to beat by being defending champs, but everyone in the league will be a bit more prepared for them this year. Cincy will be back to top form because Palmer will be, and the Browns--who nearly beat us last year---should also be improved. I see a three-way slugfest with the Browns not too far behind.

Buzz05
05-22-2007, 08:09 AM
Its the Ravens. In order to be the man you gotta beat the man. However, something tells me the Ravens wont be as good as last year but still be a force to wrecken with in the division. McNair will play well again as long as he is healthy or not suspended. Willis McGahee will be a solid runner behind Ogden. And dont forget about Heap. This guy is a beast. He is what I hope to see Heath Miller turn into. On Defense Ray Ray is getting up there but he will keep the Defense playing well and with Ed Reed in the secondary and kelly Gregg on the D-Line as NT they will be a good team. As much as I hate saying it, in order to win the division...all roads go through Baltimore.

revefsreleets
05-22-2007, 04:56 PM
I'm biased and I'm also going to say something that is sacrilege, but I think it has to be the Steelers. The team was not that different from the team that won the super bowl, but they got beat by the worst team in football only a couple weeks into the next season. Things like that only happen when the team is falling apart, and I think Cowher lost control. He admitted that the gameplans against the Ravens were flawed, too. I think the Steelers underachieved massively last year, and I think they will overachieve under Tomlin.

GBMelBlount
05-22-2007, 10:19 PM
I'm biased and I'm also going to say something that is sacrilege, but I think it has to be the Steelers. The team was not that different from the team that won the super bowl, but they got beat by the worst team in football only a couple weeks into the next season. Things like that only happen when the team is falling apart, and I think Cowher lost control. He admitted that the gameplans against the Ravens were flawed, too. I think the Steelers underachieved massively last year, and I think they will overachieve under Tomlin.

Interesting call. With the multi tight end O & the new LB's it will be interesting. Many times, with all these new schemes & new coaches many would say a year or two to adjust. However, if these guys learn & the coaches get them fired up, who knows. This is all new. They say sometimes the most dangerous fight is the fighter who is fighting for the first time. I consider this in some ways our first time.

Atlanta Dan
05-22-2007, 10:36 PM
The champ in this division does not repeat and I look for a big drop off by McNair, so that knocks out the Ravens.

The Browns are going into the 9th year of their 5 year plan for success, so rule them out - only question for me is when Brady gets thrown to the wolves as Romeo coaches for his job.

It comes down to the Bengals and the Steelers - Steelers are in transition, with the OL in chaos, and I think Marvin also is coaching for his job this season.

I believe it will be the Bengals.

qbvision.com
05-23-2007, 01:47 PM
Hate to spoil the party for all Browns fans, but 2 rookies and a motorcycle stunt dummie double aint gonna get it done...AT ALL...i put them Last next to Cincy....anyone who thinks the Browns will be improved or a favorite is mistaken.

GO STEELERS :tt02:

meanjoecoop
05-23-2007, 01:56 PM
Until such time that there is another team in this division with more super bowl wins than Pittsburgh then I believe the Steelers will be the team to beat. IMO. :thumbsup:

revefsreleets
05-24-2007, 05:12 PM
Good point about McNair. Wasn't last year the first injury free year he's had since the Titans went to the super bowl?

Elvis
05-24-2007, 06:15 PM
I also think that the Ravens will have trouble going the same rout as last year but they should adjust as well as the rest of the division to them. The Steelers have enough talent here to win another tittle soon in my opinion...
:tt02::tt02::tt02:

NV STEELERS 723
05-24-2007, 11:27 PM
The champ in this division does not repeat and I look for a big drop off by McNair, so that knocks out the Ravens.

The Browns are going into the 9th year of their 5 year plan for success, so rule them out - only question for me is when Brady gets thrown to the wolves as Romeo coaches for his job.

It comes down to the Bengals and the Steelers - Steelers are in transition, with the OL in chaos, and I think Marvin also is coaching for his job this season.

I believe it will be the Bengals.

Dan I think McNair drops off too....Our STEELERS have a pretty easy 6 game sched to start...and after tht everyone will be chasing us...

I like the comment about Tomlin and how we will be under achievers...this is true...we got younger on Defense, and Santonio is gonna break out this year...as for Fast Willie...lets give him a break, and realize he's like 5 lbs under LT's weight and SD fans don't talk about having a goal line back...Willie can get it done!