PDA

View Full Version : C. Portis re: Vick/dogfighting -- "If It's Behind Closed Doors, It's OK"

alittlejazzbird
05-21-2007, 11:20 AM
Courtesy of WAVY TV:

"I don't know if he was fighting dogs or not, but it's his property, it's his dog," Portis told WAVY-TV. "If that's what he wants to do, do it. I think people should mind their business."

Apparently Mr. Portis doesn't know that dogfighting is illegal in all 50 states, and is a felony in 48 of them. Witness this other gem directly from his mouth:

Portis also told WAVY-TV that he knows "a lot of back roads that got the dog fight if you want to go see it" and that "if it's behind closed doors, it's OK."

Well this made my day, I have to tell you. Because it means that another pretty high profile NFL player has just admitted that he knows where he can go see a dogfight if he wants to. Hopefully this will start to blow the lid off the dogfighting subculture that supposedly has existed in the NFL for a long time, and the thugs who perpetrate it either by direct involvement or by their attendance will become accountable under Sheriff Goodell's regime.

Regardless of whether or not you consider yourself an animal person or are otherwise concerned with their welfare, I hope that others on this board would agree that people who abuse and torture animals deserve punishment to the fullest extent of the law.

Link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18783681/

Jeremy
05-21-2007, 12:35 PM
Dogfighting is disgusting. People who watch it or partiticpate in it are disgusting. If you're one of those people, I'm calling you disgusting to your face. Deal with it.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-21-2007, 01:07 PM
Okay.....Portis =:poop:

verks36
05-21-2007, 02:11 PM
Portis is a charcter he doesnt know what he is talkign about at all. Dog fighting is against the law dumbass that is like promoting people to do stuff against the law. Those deadskins

fansince'76
05-21-2007, 02:12 PM
So, by Portis' unsurpassed logic, "it's only illegal if ya get caught." :rolleyes:

stlrtruck
05-21-2007, 02:15 PM
Just another NFL Player thinking they are above reproach and above the law. It's time that the police, DA's office, and even the NFL commissioner himself start making examples of these people.
Just like they would do with the average joe.

Jeremy
05-21-2007, 02:24 PM
I did not like Goodell when he first came into the office. But he has started out out a good note. The best part is that he seems to be doing this for the good of the NFL, not because CBS or NBC have pressured him into doing it.

Livinginthe past
05-21-2007, 02:28 PM
There was a Redskin o-lineman (I think) being interviewed with Portis and apparently his face was a picture when Portis came out with this crap - a picture that read 'WTF!'.

These opinions are out there, there are many different types of people that make up the NFL playing staff - Portis just happens to be one of the more ignorant brand.

Jeremy
05-21-2007, 02:30 PM
Clinton Portis is a former Miami Hurricane. It really shouldn't surprise any of you that he's this ignorant of the laws and norms of society.

Counselor
05-21-2007, 02:53 PM
There was a Redskin o-lineman (I think) being interviewed with Portis and apparently his face was a picture when Portis came out with this crap - a picture that read 'WTF!'.

These opinions are out there, there are many different types of people that make up the NFL playing staff - Portis just happens to be one of the more ignorant brand.

I wish I had seen the O-lineman's face! The ignorance is truly amazing.

Livinginthe past
05-21-2007, 05:16 PM
I just looked at the link on the http://www.wavy.com/ homesite and watched the videolink of the Samuels/Portis interview.

I can't see anything resembling the comments attributed to Portis - maybw they have been cut from the footage already?

fansince'76
05-21-2007, 06:37 PM
I can't see anything resembling the comments attributed to Portis - maybw they have been cut from the footage already?

I would imagine that portion has been cut at the behest of the NFL. A star player saying felony crimes being OK as long as they're committed "behind closed doors" kinda makes the league itself look bad.

Jeremy
05-21-2007, 08:38 PM
CBS, GE, and Disney (not including Fox because they probably love this ish) should all get together and send a strong message to the NFL. These companies are paying massive amounts of money to broadcast the NFL and they should have a say in what they put on TV. That means players because in the end the players are the product. If just one network refuses to show a game because a certain player is on the field, the NFL and NFLPA would be nitch slapped in a real hurry.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
05-22-2007, 12:49 AM
looks like the Feds are stepping in.

http://www.wvec.com/news/local/stories/wvec_local_052107_vick_dog_fight_meeting.8f33ea35. html

Sheriff: Charges expected in weeks in dog fighting investigation

Reported by: Patrick Terpstra

Surry County Sheriff Harold Brown confirms to 13News that Michael Vick?s name came up in the behind-closed-doors discussion on suspected dog fighting at Vick's now former home in Surry County.

Brown also confirmed that, after reviewing the evidence gathered so far, Vick has not been cleared but that also Vick has not been charged.

Meantime, Brown announced that federal authorities are now involved the investigation and that he expects charges to be filed in a matter of weeks, but he would not say against whom.

An investigator with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, who also is representing the U.S. Office of Inspector General, met for two hours with local authorities and Commonwealth's Attorney Gerald Poindexter.

Watch the report

It was first time Poindexter had met with investigators to review evidence in the case. He'll decide whether to level charges against Vick and up to 10 other people potentially involved in what investigators describe a major dogfighting operation.

Poindexter would not say what he learned from the meeting.

?I?ve told you before that I don?t believe in trying cases in the press and I find that despicable, okay? And that?s enough,? Poindexter said

Last week, investigators told 13 News they have evidence that "absolutely" links Vick to dogfighting.

WV-SteelerFan
05-22-2007, 06:31 AM
I wish I had seen the O-lineman's face! The ignorance is truly amazing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2878099 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2878099)

83-Steelers-43
05-22-2007, 07:53 AM
This is the same crackhead who dresses up every Sunday in order to get attention off the field because he can't get any on the field. I'm not surprised.

For the record, Mike & Mike are stating that the lineman is just as sick as Portis for laughing during Portis's rant.

Atlanta Dan
05-22-2007, 07:55 AM

Apparently the OL was Chris Samuels and, if these comments are correct, the look of astonishment on his face was because Samuels also cannot believe anyone is hating on Vick for dog fighting.

Portis, a native of Laurel, Mississippi, added: "I know a lot of back roads that got a dog fight if you want to go see it. But they're not bothering those people because those people are not big names. I'm sure there's some police got some dogs that are fighting them, some judges got dogs and everything else."

"Politicians," added Samuels, who found it hard to keep from giggling while Portis was talking.

"Presidents," added Portis with a laugh....

Dog fighting is a felony in Virginia, but Portis said that if Vick is charged and convicted, "Then I think he got cheated. ... You're putting him behind bars for no reason -- over a dog fight."

"Haven't you seen Animal Planet?" Samuels added with a giggle.

But not to worry. After what I assume was a candid exchange of views between the league office, Redskins management and the agent for Portis, we get the obligatory "clarification" and request that ignorant comments not be taken "out of context:"

Hours after making light of the possible crime in the television interview, Portis issued a statement late Monday through the Redskins.

"In the recent interview I gave concerning dog fighting, I want to make it clear I do not take part in dog fighting or condone dog fighting in any manner," the statement said.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/05/22/bc.fbn.vickinvestigatio.ap/index.html

Jeremy
05-22-2007, 08:17 AM
Apparently the OL was Chris Samuels and, if these comments are correct, the look of astonishment on his face was because Samuels also cannot believe anyone is hating on Vick for dog fighting.

Portis, a native of Laurel, Mississippi, added: "I know a lot of back roads that got a dog fight if you want to go see it. But they're not bothering those people because those people are not big names. I'm sure there's some police got some dogs that are fighting them, some judges got dogs and everything else."

"Politicians," added Samuels, who found it hard to keep from giggling while Portis was talking.

Dog fighting is a felony in Virginia, but Portis said that if Vick is charged and convicted, "Then I think he got cheated. ... You're putting him behind bars for no reason -- over a dog fight."

But not to worry. After what I assume was a candid exchange of views between the league office, Redskins management and the agent for Portis, we get the obligatory "clarification" and request that ignorant comments not be taken "out of context:"

Hours after making light of the possible crime in the television interview, Portis issued a statement late Monday through the Redskins.

"In the recent interview I gave concerning dog fighting, I want to make it clear I do not take part in dog fighting or condone dog fighting in any manner," the statement said.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/05/22/bc.fbn.vickinvestigatio.ap/index.html

I could write something here, but it would probably get me bannned.

fansince'76
05-22-2007, 09:10 AM

:chicken: Let the whitewash begin! :chicken:

Livinginthe past
05-22-2007, 11:10 AM

Thanks for that, Dan.

The interview footage on ESPN stopped right before that bit of dialogue began.

Amazing they are told its a felony, yet they still think its 'ok'.

tony hipchest
05-22-2007, 06:20 PM
:chicken: Let the whitewash begin! :chicken:you know the backtrack is in full effect when hes making a special appearance on nfl networks "total access" :blah:

lol! its no big deal because "hunting is legal".

SteelCityMan786
05-22-2007, 07:05 PM
Clinton Portis is a former Miami Hurricane. It really shouldn't surprise any of you that he's this ignorant of the laws and norms of society.

:iagree: typical hurricane.

Atlanta Dan
05-22-2007, 08:49 PM
:chicken: Let the whitewash begin! :chicken:

Yep - the NFL has developed a script for when a player goes off message

Redskins apologize for Portis' Vick comments

"The Washington Redskins, as an organization, obviously would never condone anything related to animal cruelty," the team's statement said. "The team takes the recent comments of Clinton Portis very seriously and apologizes to everyone that was offended."...

And, like the Ginsu knife commercial, there's more!

On Tuesday, Samuels apologized for his behavior.

"We were wrong for joking about the situation," Samuels said. "It's very serious. We don't agree with dog fighting."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2879556

:blah:

qbvision.com
05-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Hey Portis, thats like saying "who cares if OJ killed her..why dont people mind their own business...if he wants to kill let him"..HAHA..just to show what dummies we really have in the NFL..put your WIG back on and play dumb again please....i seen this on espn and was like are you serious? what a jackass. I would love to let my dog (english bulldog)loose on Vick...haha

GO STEELERS!!

TX Steel
05-23-2007, 07:32 PM
How simple logic and compassion can be absent in some people amazes me.

ChronoCross
05-27-2007, 03:26 PM
Falcons | Source claims Vick is a heavyweight in dog fighting
Sun, 27 May 2007 10:59:53 -0700

Kelly Naqi, writing for ESPN.com, reports a confidential source says he's been involved in dog fighting for over 30 years and has trained and fought around 2,000 pit bulls. He was poised to tell "Outside the Lines" about the time in 2000 when his dog squared off against a dog owned by someone he referred as one of the "heavyweights" of the dog fighting world. "He's a pit bull fighter," the source said of Atlanta Falcons QB Michael Vick. "He's one of the ones that they call 'the big boys:' that's who bets a large dollar. And they have the money to bet large money. As I'm talking about large money -- $30,000 to $40,000 -- even higher. He's one of the heavyweights." The source has helped law enforcement by supplying information on dog fights that has led to dozens of felony arrests. The source said Vick is known in the dog fighting community as "the man that comes with all the money" and his reputation is "[that] he brings a good dog and he's going to bet and he's going bring a nice sum of cash."

alittlejazzbird
05-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Falcons | Source claims Vick is a heavyweight in dog fighting
Sun, 27 May 2007 10:59:53 -0700

The entire story is well worth reading at ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2884063

This confidential informant effectively illustrates the whole reason that this truly despicable activity flourishes:

The source said he consented to our interview to change people's perceptions about dog fighting, because they have "the wrong idea" about it and should see "just one" match for themselves before judging it. "They'll let this other thing go -- what is it called? UFC [Ultimate Fighting Championship]?" he asked. "That is every bit as bad -- you know, that's terrible. But then you have thousands of people that cheer, rah, rah, and they really love that. You see guys get their heads busted, you know, and they get their arms messed up, their legs twisted almost off. But then they fuss over this here, is wrong."

When asked what he thinks people's reactions will be when they learn of his account of Vick's involvement in dog fighting, the source was nonplussed.

"They shouldn't be really upset, OK?" he said. "Because it's only just an animal. It's just a dog that is raised up. He's put out there, you know, and he's chained up, OK. And the time he gets a certain age, this dog is going to want to fight. It is bred in him, OK? He knows what he is and he's going to fight. Just take him off the leash, let him go."

There are so many things wrong with that -- for one thing, the fact that human beings make the choice to fight, and the dogs are forced into it -- there isn't enough time or space for me to comment fully. But it's quite illuminating, because you can see the kind of culture, maybe minus guns but no less thuggish, that perpetuates it. I found most interesting the very end of the article, when the source told what he's most concerned about:

"Everybody in the dog world is worried about Michael Vick talking," the source said, shortly before leaving our interview room and heading back to work. "Michael Vick is making large money, he's making millions, OK? And if he has to tell on some people [to avoid prison time], I think he would tell … I don't put nothing past him."

Here's hoping they all turn on each other, and blow the lid off this so-called "sport."

Atlanta Dan
05-27-2007, 04:15 PM
As I was watching TV while on the treadmill, John Clayton was explaining on ESPN how he does not believe these latest allegations are serious enough to get Vick suspended because the informant cannot deliver indisputable evidence on Vick's role.

Clayton assumes this is a criminal trial requiring proof beyond a reasonable doubt of Vick's role. With regard to another recent blowup, Don Imus appeared to be surviving until his sponsors were finding out there was a downside to being associated with the I-Man. The way Vick can really get hurt in this is if animal rights groups or for that matter anyone who owns a dog makes it clear that they will not buy products from anyone who continues to have an endorsement deal with Vick.

The Falcons have a major problem here, not only in terms of Vick's conduct but because the debate is (as is often the case in Atlanta) breaking down on racial lines in the ATL.

LambertIsGod58
05-27-2007, 05:08 PM
I can honestly say that it doesn't surprise me that Vick would be involved in something like this. It's in his blood....Look at brother Marques. Not to mention Vick should be brought up on charges of impersonating an NFL Quarterback. Second, Portis is a piece of **it. End of story.

Elvis
05-28-2007, 03:48 PM
As much as I would like to say that I cant believe it, but I can. This is what the whole world is coming too. This ole' world is gettin worst ladies/gentlemen. Dont take anything for granted because anything can happen.
:tt02::wave:

PisnNapalm
05-28-2007, 04:01 PM
The minute after an indictment is laid down against Vick he should be banned from the NFL. Dog fighting is just sick.

MACH1
05-28-2007, 04:48 PM
The minute after an indictment is laid down against Vick he should be banned from the NFL. Dog fighting is just sick.

I agree..