PDA

View Full Version : Mays Out, Morgan In......

Da Boot
09-06-2005, 02:53 PM
PITTSBURGH ? The Steelers added a new player to their receiving corps today when they signed free agent veteran Quincy Morgan to a one-year contract. Financial terms of the deal were not released.

To make room for Morgan on their roster, Pittsburgh released four-year veteran receiver Lee Mays.

Morgan (6-1, 215), a five-year veteran from Kansas State, was originally selected in the second round (33rd overall) of the 2001 NFL Draft by the Cleveland Browns. He played with the Browns for more than three seasons before being traded to the Dallas Cowboys on Oct. 19, 2004, in exchange for wide receiver Antonio Bryant.

In four seasons, Morgan has caught 155 passes for 2,316 yards (14.9 avg.) and 15 touchdowns. He has also returned 11 kickoffs for 267 yards (24.3 avg.). Morgan enjoyed his finest season in 2002 when he set career highs with 56 receptions, 964 receiving yards (17.2 avg.) and seven touchdowns.

Mays, who was originally selected by the Steelers in the sixth round (202nd overall) of the 2002 NFL Draft, had caught 11 passes for 154 yards (14.0 avg.) and returned 36 kickoffs for 750 yards (20.8 avg.) in his three seasons with the team. He missed part of the 2005 preseason with an injured hamstring.
(www.steelers.com)

Koopa
09-06-2005, 02:55 PM
hell yeah, i guess they read when i said we should take a look at him. he's going to be a good pick up imo, i saw him a few times with the cowboys but he had vinny throwing to him so of course he didn't look great but when he was on the field i liked what i saw from him

SteelR1
09-06-2005, 03:08 PM
WOW, this should make things a little more interesting... Big Ben is getting a big selection to throw to, Let's see what he does with it !?!

TasmanianTroy271
09-06-2005, 03:08 PM
Lets hope he's better than Mays, what number reciever has he been on his teams?

This shows that the Steelers didnt just like Lee Mays, because we were willing to cut him for someone else. Shows that Gibson must have had something wrong with him, because we decided to keep Mays over him.

Koopa
09-06-2005, 03:11 PM
well i think he was the number two wr in clevelend and for awhile he was the number 3 for the cowboys

Koopa
09-06-2005, 03:12 PM
here's his career stats:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235232

clevestinks
09-06-2005, 03:22 PM
Isnt he a pain in the butt??? I think that was the problem in Cleve. Oh well. he is a good size wideout. And he always played well against us. The receiveing corp. did improve today.

Steel - X
09-06-2005, 03:26 PM
Anyone is better than Lee Mays thats for sure. Since I live in Clownstown I get to watch most of there games. This guy could be really good as long as he can hang on to the football. Good move by us hopefull he keeps his head into the game.

BB2W
09-06-2005, 03:36 PM
I like the move.... Morgan is definitly worth a look, and I support anything that results in Lee Mays getting cut. :smile:

clevestinks
09-06-2005, 03:40 PM
I agree with both of you. He has to be an improvement over Mays, there is know way that he cant be.

Ward , ARE, Wilson, Washington, Morgan starting to look good.

Prosdo
09-06-2005, 03:42 PM
I like the move.... Morgan is definitly worth a look, and I support anything that results in Lee Mays getting cut. :smile:

lol I second that. Quincy did always seem to do pretty well. This should make things pretty interesting.

SteelerSal
09-06-2005, 03:49 PM
This makes me feel alot better going into the season now. I doubt we will see much of him,week 1, but he will be a factor down the road by keeping Randle El in the slot where he is best suited.

This is a great move!!

Only knock on him is that he used to be a Brown stain. :sign03:

Ambridge
09-06-2005, 03:54 PM
This shows that the Steelers didnt just like Lee Mays, because we were willing to cut him for someone else. Shows that Gibson must have had something wrong with him, because we decided to keep Mays over him.

That was my first thought!

Gibson looked good in the pre-season opener but he must have took a hard nose dive during the rest of training camp.

I think Quincy Morgan will be a good addition.

BB2W
09-06-2005, 04:00 PM
I found this pre-draft interveiw with Morgan here is some of it.....

Name: Quincy Morgan

School: Kansas State

40 Time: :cheer: 4.38 :banana:

Draft Status: Mid-Late 1st round projection

My View: Quincy is a very nice, laid back, intelligent young man. He's got top 15 talent and will be a steal if he goes in the late first round. He's got the size/sped combo that NFL offensive coordinators love. Quincy has the ability to turn a short 5 yard pass into a 75 yard TD. He's one of the best receivers in running after the catch. He'll be able to step into any offensive system and make plays.

INTERVIEW:

- Q: What kind of person will an NFL team be getting when they draft you?

Q.M.: On the field they get a competitor, a hard worker, and a proven winner. Off the field, they'll get a well rounded, nice man who will never get in trouble.

- Q: What are your three playing strengths?

Q.M.: I think my ability to run after the catch is my greatest assett, followed by my ability to stretch the field and my physicality.

- Q: Do you have any weaknesses in your game that you're looking to improve on?

Q.M.: I don't think I have one weakness that stands out, but I do feel I can improve in all areas of my game.

- Q: What are your goals for your rookie year and beyond?

Q.M.: I want to be known as a steady, consistent receiver who made plays. I'm going after that Super Bowl ring though. That's what I want.

link..... http://apssfootball.tripod.com/apss/id21.html

SteelerSal
09-06-2005, 04:04 PM
That was my first thought!

Gibson looked good in the pre-season opener but he must have took a hard nose dive during the rest of training camp.

I think Quincy Morgan will be a good addition.

I honestly didn't think he looked that good in the opener. I think alot of people liked the block he made but to tell you the truth, he got the worst of that hit and I don't think he would of been willing to do it again.(He hurt his shoulder on that play)

Suitanim
09-06-2005, 04:21 PM
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree here...some of the things I've heard about Quincy Morgan:

"Whiny, unproductive and inconsistent"
"Will make a spectacular catch then drop the next 4 passes that land in his hands"

Sound familiar? He does have a knack for making big plays, but he is definitely a head case.

Then again, I've never been a fan of Lee "Hands of stone" Mays...

Morgan DOES have a load of potential...must be why we picked him up. I'd hate to see one asshole mess up the team chemistry, though...

SteelerSal
09-06-2005, 04:27 PM
Suitinum, It's just a one year deal. If he pans out extend it, if not, see ya.

He's got to be a hell of an upgrade compared to" 11 catches in his career", Mays. It should be 50 catches but he dropped the rest. :grin:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-06-2005, 04:39 PM
Isnt he a pain in the butt??? I think that was the problem in Cleve. Oh well. he is a good size wideout. And he always played well against us. The receiveing corp. did improve today.

Yes he was.. I hated him when he was w/ the clowns.. What a primadonna and an all around ass!! Yeah he did have some good games against us so Im sure he'll help as a #4 WR. Pushing MOrey to 5th and Washington to 6th.

It will be interesting if we carry 6 WR's, something we dont normally do. But yes I couldnt stand Mays either, so dont let the door hit ya on the way out !

Blitzburgh55
09-06-2005, 04:43 PM
great pick up its not that hard to be better than mays

Suitanim
09-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Suitinum, It's just a one year deal. If he pans out extend it, if not, see ya.

He's got to be a hell of an upgrade compared to" 11 catches in his career", Mays. It should be 50 catches but he dropped the rest. :grin:

Yeah, but I'm contrasting and comparing against Fred Gibson, too...If Gibson is a long term bust like Morgan is, than we are comparing apples and apples, but if we let a player goes who blossoms into something down the road...

BlitzburghRockCity
09-06-2005, 04:58 PM
That has been my gripe about releasing Gibson. We drafted him knowing he was unpolished and needed work and now we dont even get the chance to see what he might do.

conversely you can see the point about having 2 rookie WR's behind the starting 3, and then having mays and morey.. so either way one of the 2 was probably bound to get the axe unfortunately.

Suitanim
09-06-2005, 05:04 PM
I like having Morey around...he's a gamer on ST and never drops a pass.

SteelZeal
09-06-2005, 05:09 PM
This can only be a good move. Quincy Morgan is better than Lee Mays. He's a #3 WR - borderline #2 WR. And he'll be our #4 WR. It's an upgrade, simple as that. Well done.

I.C. Lights
09-06-2005, 05:42 PM
- Q: What kind of person will an NFL team be getting when they draft you?

Q.M.: On the field they get a competitor, a hard worker, and a proven winner. Off the field, they'll get a well rounded, nice man who will never get in trouble.

Well, I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt even though he might have been a pain at Cleveland and Dallas. It's funny how being on a struggling team can turn even a "well rounded, nice man" into a whiner. Plus, if Cowher cut Gibson, who was supposed to be a project, because of attitude, I hope he would have the sense to not turn around and bring in someone else with an attitude. My bet is that Morgan's probably so inured from playing on those teams that he will be inspired to play for us. Let's give him a chance to shine and maybe he will. Go Steelers!

SteelerSal
09-06-2005, 06:00 PM
Lets see what Ben can do with him. He had Tim "freakin" Couch tossing the ball to him in :poop: cleveland. :monkey:

RoethlisBURGHer
09-06-2005, 06:19 PM
The guy definatly has potential.Remember,he never had a stable QB on the Browns (or Cowboys).

Maybe having a stable QB situation will help him reach his potential.

Black-n-Gold
09-06-2005, 06:23 PM
Hopefully, seems like most of the WR spots are up for grabs at the moment.

atlsteelers
09-06-2005, 06:48 PM
i was a little worried about morey being on the field, he just drops too many balls and really does and much exitement after the catch. whereas morgan could be dangerous with a little space.

Ambridge
09-06-2005, 08:36 PM
I honestly didn't think he looked that good in the opener. I think alot of people liked the block he made but to tell you the truth, he got the worst of that hit and I don't think he would of been willing to do it again.(He hurt his shoulder on that play)

Besides the block I think he had a nice 10yd catch where he went up and snatched the ball in the middle of a couple of defenders if I remember correctly.
I guess I was dazzled by that catch because it was such an "Un-Plaxico" type of reception.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-06-2005, 08:42 PM
Yeah it sure will be nice to not have a whiner and slacker on the field like Plax all the time. If morgan just plays the game and does what he's supposed too, he'll already be ahead of the game and worlds ahead of what Plax was for us.

Suitanim
09-06-2005, 08:54 PM
i was a little worried about morey being on the field, he just drops too many balls and really does and much exitement after the catch. whereas morgan could be dangerous with a little space.

When? I have never seen Sean Morey drop a ball, not in camp, or in the season, or in the pre-season...

Koopa
09-06-2005, 09:04 PM
i'm guessing you didn't watch the redskins game.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-06-2005, 10:21 PM
Thats becuz morey doesnt get many chances to even be on the field except on ST..but depending on how things pan out, that will probably change.

Da Boot
09-07-2005, 09:17 AM
Morgan has some potential, but what worries me is if he couldnt make a roster that featured Keyshawn Johnson, Terry Glenn, Patrick Crayton (who?) and Terrance Cooper(who?) then there is a problem somewhere.

BB2W
09-07-2005, 11:30 AM
Morgan has some potential, but what worries me is if he couldnt make a roster that featured Keyshawn Johnson, Terry Glenn, Patrick Crayton (who?) and Terrance Cooper(who?) then there is a problem somewhere.
He was gonna make the team, but when they sign Peerless Price it made Morgan expendable. From what I gathered Quincy had some issues in Dallas, and they brought in Price to take over his role in the offense.

SteelerSal
09-07-2005, 11:31 AM

He probably rubbed Parcells the wrong way. If you get in his dog house, your chances of playing or even staying on the team are slim.

Morgan was probably over heard by Parcells saying," Boy these QB's and this team sucks, I feel like I'm in Cleveland again." :grin:

stillers4strife
09-07-2005, 05:27 PM
When? I have never seen Sean Morey drop a ball, not in camp, or in the season, or in the pre-season...

Yes, please watch the Skins game from a few weeks ago. Even Maddox was disgusted.

ngreene15
09-07-2005, 06:29 PM
This can only be a good move. Quincy Morgan is better than Lee Mays. He's a #3 WR - borderline #2 WR. And he'll be our #4 WR. It's an upgrade, simple as that. Well done.

I think slowly throughout the year he will work his way up to being the #2 reciever.

Black-n-Gold
09-07-2005, 07:46 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2153565

He'll have the #3WR spot according to this, not the #4 spot. Makes sense though with his experience, I'm curious to see how he turns out. The WR corp is pretty stacked now, the offense is there to get the job done, lets just hope they get everything ready for Sunday. Do they play Morgan on Sunday? Has only been with the team for a week before the game and has only had a few chances to practice with the team.

Koopa
09-07-2005, 07:54 PM
yeah i doubt he plays sundays and he'll probably play just a couple of snaps against the texans

BlitzburghRockCity
09-07-2005, 08:23 PM
I honestly cant see a guy who we just signed a couple days ago, being the #3 WR for us this week. He needs time to learn the offense.. Cedric will be the #3 guy for the next few weeks atleast and then I would imagine if he hasnt improved enough, Morgan will take over.

Especially when you read this..

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/103-09072005-538119.html

On the fly: Morgan finds Steelers playbook isn't a fast study

By ALAN ROBINSON
The Associated Press

PITTSBURGH - Quincy Morgan, a man accustomed to being in a hurry, was in more of a rush than usual Wednesday.

Morgan had new Pittsburgh Steelers coaches and new teammates to meet, and a practice to attend, and a game to get ready for in four days - and not the one he was expecting to play a few days ago.

And then there was the matter of the Steelers' brick-thick playbook, which is not conducive to speed reading. Not even for a wide receiver known for his ability to get downfield in a hurry, the chief reason the Steelers picked him up after he was waived by the Dallas Cowboys last weekend.

"I've got to get in this playbook - it's one of the hardest offenses I've ever seen," Morgan said Wednesday. "There's a lot of memorization, a lot of hot breaks you've got to learn. I could sit here and tell you about it all day. In Dallas, it was so easy."

What he's found difficult is staying with the same team. The Steelers are Morgan's third team in five seasons, an uncommon number for a player who was a No. 33 overall pick, by Cleveland in the 2001 draft, and has produced. He had 56 catches for a 17.2 yards per catch average and seven touchdowns in 2002, and has 15 touchdown catches in his career.

But after a brief stint as Cleveland's top receiver, when Steelers receivers coach Bruce Arians was the Browns' offensive coordinator, he was dealt to Dallas last year for former Pitt receiver Antonio Bryant. Beaten out during training camp by former seventh-round draft pick Patrick Crayton to be Dallas' No. 3 receiver, Morgan was waived after the Cowboys signed former Atlanta receiver Peerless Price.

"I was the man in Cleveland, but in Dallas I was a nobody," he said.

Morgan also was to make $750,000 in Dallas, too much for the Cowboys to pay a No. 4 receiver who hasn't played on special teams except for returning kicks. Several teams wanted him once Dallas cut him, including Tennessee, but the Steelers were his first choice.
Adblock

"I always admired this team from afar, and I'm glad to be here," he said. "I never imagined I'd be a Pittsburgh Steeler."

Why the attraction, especially for a former Browns player?

"It's Pittsburgh, man. These guys win games, and I know what type of team this is," he said. "This is a tough team, this is a team that a lot of the teams in the league are scared of. So why not be a Steeler?"

Morgan will be used Sunday mostly in a four-receivers set along with Hines Ward, Antwaan Randle El and Cedrick Wilson. At 6-1, he's not as tall as the 6-5 Plaxico Burress, the former Steelers starter now with the Giants, but he gives Ben Roethlisberger a fast target who can catch the deep ball.

Morgan signed Tuesday, hours after coach Bill Cowher said the lack of rhythm in the passing game, during a preseason in which the starters didn't score a touchdown, was his chief worry.

"He's a big pickup in my opinion," wide receiver Hines Ward said. "He's going to help us out tremendously."

When he figures out that playbook, of course.

"Some of the things they did with Plax are some of things I should be able to do in this offense," Morgan said. "I've just got to get up on this as fast as I can."

Arians said it was easy to recommend signing Morgan.

"He's got speed, can catch the deep ball, is aggressive - he can stretch the field," Arians said. "I like Quincy a lot."

Black-n-Gold
09-07-2005, 09:01 PM
Not sure how to feel about his comments, hopefully he doesn't become a problem or another big-headed plaxico.

Koopa
09-07-2005, 09:14 PM
mayne i hope he can beat out ARE and wilson, ARE to me is gonna always be a third option type of wr, and wilson well i don't know about him, i hope morgan can push everyone and help ben build some confidence in his wr corps. and i still hope they use heath miller in the passing game a lot, it'll be a waste if they don't.

Black-n-Gold
09-07-2005, 09:28 PM
I've never thought ARE was #2 quality but that's just me. He's alright but he should be #3 or #4 in my opinion. Wilson, Morgan, and Ward should be a reliable set of WRs for a while.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-07-2005, 09:44 PM
I like this statement!! :grin:

"It's Pittsburgh, man. These guys win games, and I know what type of team this is," he said. "This is a tough team, this is a team that a lot of the teams in the league are scared of. So why not be a Steeler?"

Remember this too..There's a reason he's been w/ so many teams in recent years. He's not the end all answer to completing our WR group. But he is a capable guy who can help us out, and who knows he may surprise us and stick around for several years and be very productive. At the least he's a BIG target, and thats good !

El has earned the right to be at the #2 WR spot atleast to start out the season. He said behind plax and now has a chance to show his stuff on every play so its up to him to make it happen.

TasmanianTroy271
09-07-2005, 09:45 PM
If we get Ward, Morgan and Wilson in the top 3, that'll leave El open to start doing more Punt and Kick returns, which we all know is a good thing :P

BlitzburghRockCity
09-07-2005, 09:46 PM
In any interview w/ Cowher earlier in the preseason he said that El probably will still return some punts but not near as many as before due to his increased duty w/ the starting unit. Ike Taylor and Coc have the kickoff return game pretty much nailed down, atleast for now.

Koopa
09-07-2005, 10:02 PM
If we get Ward, Morgan and Wilson in the top 3, that'll leave El open to start doing more Punt and Kick returns, which we all know is a good thing :P

i doubt ARE drops any lower then the 3rd option, just cause he's been here a long time and he's shown he's no less or no more then a 3rd option wr.

BB2W
09-07-2005, 10:21 PM
I like what Arians had to say about him....

BlitzburghRockCity
09-07-2005, 11:25 PM
http://steelersfever.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19062#post19062

Check it out !!! :smile:

BB2W
09-07-2005, 11:40 PM
The more I hear... the more I like. :smile:

BB2W
09-08-2005, 01:14 PM
Of Quincy's 155 career catches, 11 have gone for 40 yards or more.

The four teams that pursued Morgan were the Tennessee Titans, Denver Broncos, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Steelers.

Prosdo
09-08-2005, 02:57 PM
Morgan happy to be with the Steelers
Thursday, September 8, 2005
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com
New Steelers wide receiver Quincy Morgan hit the practice field with the black and gold for the first time on Wednesday and felt comfortable right away.

?They gave me a little bit,? said Morgan. ?They didn?t give me the whole play book. They just gave me a set amount of things. It went smooth today. If they have plans to put me in the game, I'll be ready.?

Morgan spent a little more than three seasons with the Cleveland Browns after they selected him in the second round of the 2001 draft. He was traded to the Dallas Cowboys on Oct. 19, 2004 in exchange for Antonio Bryant. During his four seasons he caught 155 passes for 2,317 yards and 15 touchdowns. Now he wants to do what he can to help the Steelers.

?I can come in and help them and be a good fit,? said Morgan. ?These receivers already embraced me and helped me out. Whatever I can do, whether it be special teams or on offense, that?s what I am going to try to come in and do.

"Hopefully, I can make this situation work and go out there and do whatever the team asks me to do. I am going to bust my butt, day and night, to try to get it down. I am going to go as fast as I can and as fast as I can play."

Morgan understands the situation with the Steelers, where he will start off as the team?s fourth wide receiver, and he is embracing it right now.

"That's my spot right now; that's the role I have to play,? said Morgan. ?If it changes, it changes. But right now we have a good group of guys, I'm just coming in, I really don't know this offense but I'm learning."

Morgan has played against the Steelers plenty during his career with the Browns and now he is happy to be on the other side.

?I always admired this franchise and team from a far,? said Morgan. ?This is the most professional and together team I have ever seen in my life. That?s a big plus. I am glad to be a big part of it. I am very happy to be here. I couldn?t be happier.?

Link: http://www.steelers.com/article/56727/

Sounds like he has a very good attitude right now. Let's hope he can come in and add a new weapon in the WR corps.

Black-n-Gold
09-08-2005, 04:13 PM
Alot better attitude then they talked to him about coming to Pittsburgh, thats for sure. Ben will probably take advantage of his hieght and speed.