PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Gets 2011 SuperBowl

Livinginthe past
05-22-2007, 02:35 PM
The Dallas Cowboys' new stadium in North Texas doesn't have a name yet and won't open for two years, but it already has the country's top sporting event lined up. The NFL has chosen it as the host stadium for Super Bowl XLV on February 6, 2011.

North Texas beat out Indianapolis and Glendale, Ariz., in a vote of the owners at the league meeting in Nashville today. The Cowboys' stadium, which will have a retractable roof, is scheduled to be ready to open at the beginning of the 2009 regular season.

After the announcement, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones thanked former Cowboys quarterback Roger Staubach for serving as chairman of the committee that lobbied owners to give the Super Bowl to North Texas.

"We're really going to have the best bid," Staubach said before the vote. "I really believe that based on the resources we have to be able to deliver the bid."

Arizona will host next year's Super Bowl, followed by Tampa in 2009 and South Florida in 2010.

Videoclip at this link.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10191309

Crushzilla
05-22-2007, 02:45 PM
Videoclip at this link.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10191309

:coffee: So I guess we'll have to fly to Dallas that year for the Super Bowl... I wonder who we'll play...

fansince'76
05-22-2007, 02:46 PM
It's going to be quite a stadium:

http://stadium.dallascowboys.com/

Livinginthe past
05-22-2007, 02:47 PM
:coffee: So I guess we'll have to fly to Dallas that year for the Super Bowl... I wonder who we'll play...

Heh heh....they doing an all-AFC SB in 2011? :wink02:

Crushzilla
05-22-2007, 02:51 PM

Would make the Super Bowl worth watching...

Hell, the AFC playoff games are much more electifying. Give me a Wild Card Game in the AFC over the Bowl...

stlrtruck
05-22-2007, 02:59 PM

Yeah, it's called the AFC Championship Game and the Steelers will deal the final blow to the Evil Empire in New England, ending Brady's career as a starter putting him on the path of Drew Bledsoe.

The media will have a field day as Belichick runs into the locker room crying, refusing to shake the hand of Tomlin. Tomlin smiles and waves to Belichick and returns to his locker room to hoist his 4th AFC Championship Trophy on route to his unprecedented 4th Super Bowl.

Belichick will then use the media outlets available to him - crying about how the Steelers shouldn't have won and that his witch craft and plot to rule the NFL was foiled by the zebras. He'll eventually man up in the announcers both a year later as he watches Tomlin win his 5th Super Bowl. And his words will be something like this, "I shouldn't have run away from him. Tomlin is a football god when it comes to coaching. He's definitely in a class all by himself and I did myself and him a great injustice by not shaking the hands of a man who is just a better coach, person, and father!"

:tt02: :flap: :cheer: :banana: :chicken: :helmet: :tt02:

Livinginthe past
05-22-2007, 03:00 PM
Would make the Super Bowl worth watching...

Hell, the AFC playoff games are much more electifying. Give me a Wild Card Game in the AFC over the Bowl...

Yep, they say these things go in cycles but im wondering when the dominance of the AFC is going to end.

There are probably 6 AFC teams I would have picked last year to beat anyone from the NFC.

Atlanta Dan
05-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Hopefully Dallas will get an ice storm that weekend and the game will be played on a frozen field as payback for the choice.

Giving out the SB as a thank you gift to cities building new stadiums (I include Atlanta in that list) is a joke. The one downside of SB XL was that Steelers fans had to go to Detroit (alhough since it was nearby and there was not exactly overwhelming demand to spend early February in Michigan it did make it a home game).

The SB should be at a neutral site that rewards the fans and players by going to someplace enjoyable, with a 3 year roto of Miami, New Orleans and someplace in SoCal (LA or SD).

Livinginthe past
05-22-2007, 03:06 PM
Yeah, it's called the AFC Championship Game and the Steelers will deal the final blow to the Evil Empire in New England, ending Brady's career as a starter putting him on the path of Drew Bledsoe.

The media will have a field day as Belichick runs into the locker room crying, refusing to shake the hand of Tomlin. Tomlin smiles and waves to Belichick and returns to his locker room to hoist his 4th AFC Championship Trophy on route to his unprecedented 4th Super Bowl.

Belichick will then use the media outlets available to him - crying about how the Steelers shouldn't have won and that his witch craft and plot to rule the NFL was foiled by the zebras. He'll eventually man up in the announcers both a year later as he watches Tomlin win his 5th Super Bowl. And his words will be something like this, "I shouldn't have run away from him. Tomlin is a football god when it comes to coaching. He's definitely in a class all by himself and I did myself and him a great injustice by not shaking the hands of a man who is just a better coach, person, and father!"

:tt02: :flap: :cheer: :banana: :chicken: :helmet: :tt02:

Ha ha.

You know, if you were a less righeous man you make alot of money from that amazing ability to see the future.

Im also gonna have to call BS on the whole 'Belichick crying' thing you have playing out - everyone knows Bills only accesible emotion is grumpy :toofunny:

fansince'76
05-22-2007, 03:07 PM
Hopefully Dallas will get an ice storm that weekend and the game will be played on a frozen field as payback for the choice.

No matter - it's gonna have a fully-retractable roof that can fully open or close in 12 minutes.

stlrtruck
05-22-2007, 03:12 PM
Ha ha.

You know, if you were a less righeous man you make alot of money from that amazing ability to see the future.

Im also gonna have to call BS on the whole 'Belichick crying' thing you have playing out - everyone knows Bills only accesible emotion is grumpy :toofunny:

Yeah you do got me on the crying thing - but I wonder if FOX, CBS, or ESPN will hire me for my foresight (LOL)

And if anything, I could always get a job with PFT.com :flap:

Livinginthe past
05-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Yeah you do got me on the crying thing - but I wonder if FOX, CBS, or ESPN will hire me for my foresight (LOL)

And if anything, I could always get a job with PFT.com :flap:

Come on, if you worked for PFT that would mean you were just making stuff up......oh...I see.... :toofunny:

Crushzilla
05-22-2007, 03:32 PM

Giving out the SB as a thank you gift to cities building new stadiums (I include Atlanta in that list) is a joke. The one downside of SB XL was that Steelers fans had to go to Detroit (alhough since it was nearby and there was not exactly overwhelming demand to spend early February in Michigan it did make it a home game).

The SB should be at a neutral site that rewards the fans and players by going to someplace enjoyable, with a 3 year roto of Miami, New Orleans and someplace in SoCal (LA or SD).

The only problem is that there are about 6 venues where you can hold it then. Which is a bummer for the other 26 cities...

You want a neutral field. They should pick it randomly. Everyone knows what its going to be before the year even begins. If its at Giants Stadium, then its at Giants stadium. Anyone who makes it to the big show will have to deal with the cold.

Rewarding great play with nice weather is what the Pro Bowl is for... Give everyone a shot at the Big Dance.

memphissteelergirl
05-22-2007, 03:36 PM
It's going to be quite a stadium:

http://stadium.dallascowboys.com/

Wow...nice...hate to admit it considering it's the Cowgirls stadium...but, nice.

Wonder how many palms Jerry greased at City Hall/State House to get that built? :wink02:

Atlanta Dan
05-22-2007, 03:41 PM
No matter - it's gonna have a fully-retractable roof that can fully open or close in 12 minutes.

So the hole in the new stadium roof is to recreate the look of the current stadium but will be retractable? Not a particularly inspired design for a billion $$ + facility.

I will give Jones credit for seeking less of a handout than your usual (e.g. - Rooneys) owners that expect the taxpayers to foot most of the bill for builiding. I just think the SB should be someplace you actually might want to visit for a vacation. Not many folks vacation in Big D.

revefsreleets
05-22-2007, 04:04 PM
I think Dallas is a good place to play the game. Since the super bowl is really just a huge convention, it's a good idea to play the game in a nice stadium in cities that host a lot of conventions. I remember a lot of people and reporters complaining about Jacksonville as being a bad place to hold the super bowl even though the stadium is nice.