PDA

View Full Version : Faneca a no-show at Steelers practice

83-Steelers-43
05-22-2007, 06:57 PM
Faneca a no-show at Steelers practice
Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers guard Alan Faneca did not show up today for the first of 14 voluntary workout session scheduled for the next few weeks.

Faneca, unhappy with his contract, lashed out at Steelers management at the opening of the team's mandatory mini-camp May 12, then sat out the next day's morning practice. He participated in two more practice sessions.

Before flying home to Louisiana, he said he would not return until training camp starts July 23 -- if he's still a Steeler then. He has asked to be traded.

The practices now under way at the Steelers' South Side facility are officially termed organized team activities. Unlike minicamp, however, those are not mandatory and players cannot be disciplined if they do not attend.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07142/788052-66.stm

The Duke
05-22-2007, 07:16 PM
what a surprise:coffee:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
05-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Has anyone looked behind any of the buildings because I'm sure Alan is behind one of them doing this :banging: Sigh I guess 4 million dollars just isn't enough for him.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-22-2007, 07:52 PM
He said he wouldn't attend,so as far as I am concerned,this is a non-story.

SteelCityMan786
05-22-2007, 07:58 PM
No surprise.

ben2hines=6
05-22-2007, 08:51 PM
ya know the guy who was made the highest paid player at his position during his last contract extention, you would think he'd show a little more class than this:crying01:

lilyoder6
05-22-2007, 09:34 PM
he's just bitching because the linemen that were sign this FA yr like leonard davis and other decent money got paid like they are actually good... it did help when teams over over pay players

GBMelBlount
05-22-2007, 09:48 PM
It's a free country. I'd be ticked if I was making 40k/yr & someone who I was better than was making 70k/yr. I realize we're talking millions but whether a million a year is enough or ten million is that persons decision. Anyway, the good news is if he doesn't shut up & play, it could seriously affect his contract next year. I think when the time comes he will fall in line & play like the pro bowler he is.

HometownGal
05-22-2007, 11:15 PM
By acting like a little boy stomping his feet in defiance, the only one he is hurting is himself.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/verismo/crying_child.jpg

X-Terminator
05-22-2007, 11:57 PM
Not surprised. I hope somebody took the liberty of changing his diaper on the flight back to Louisiana.

paw-n-maul-u
05-23-2007, 01:52 AM
Has his trade value ever been discussed on hear??? I've been browsing some of the ESPN chats and I'm hoping that one of the "expert analysts" would offer some insight on the matter.

2nd rounder?

Galax Steeler
05-23-2007, 05:12 AM
I would love to go ahead and trade the crybaby before the season starts.

TackleMeBen
05-23-2007, 08:14 AM
he can take his :dollar::dollar::dollar: and go to another team. i am tired of his whining and moaning..

Buzz05
05-23-2007, 08:48 AM
Im tired of him and his actions. He needs to shut up and play the season. I lost all respect for him. He knows the NFL is a business.

stlrtruck
05-23-2007, 09:07 AM
It's a free country. I'd be ticked if I was making 40k/yr & someone who I was better than was making 70k/yr. I realize we're talking millions but whether a million a year is enough or ten million is that persons decision. Anyway, the good news is if he doesn't shut up & play, it could seriously affect his contract next year. I think when the time comes he will fall in line & play like the pro bowler he is.

Yeah, I agree to an extent but the difference is that I'm not under contract and I have the freedom to look elsewhere for employment if I feel that my salary isn't commesurate with my skills. In the NFL, the owners have the players over a barrel when it comes to contracts. The team can void it but the player can't (and they can thank the NFLPA for that one).

But at what point does the all mighty dollar stop speaking and your desire to play the game for the ultimate prize take over?

I guess the time when players played for the Super Bowl are over and they'd rather play for a sucky team and earn $10 million a year then play for a great team making $4 million a year & earn multiple Super Bowls!!!

TackleMeBen
05-23-2007, 09:21 AM
Yeah, I agree to an extent but the difference is that I'm not under contract and I have the freedom to look elsewhere for employment if I feel that my salary isn't commesurate with my skills. In the NFL, the owners have the players over a barrel when it comes to contracts. The team can void it but the player can't (and they can thank the NFLPA for that one).

in a way this is good that players cant void their own contracts. could you imagine a guy getting mad and be able to void his contract. guys would be changing teams like changing underwear.

But at what point does the all mighty dollar stop speaking and your desire to play the game for the ultimate prize take over?

i think those days are long gone. you know what they say money talks now. :dollar:

I guess the time when players played for the Super Bowl are over and they'd rather play for a sucky team and earn $10 million a year then play for a great team making $4 million a year & earn multiple Super Bowls!!!

i guess some are more greedy than others. if you look it at if you play for less and win the superbowl you should be able to make up for the money by getting endorsements and things..

stlrtruck
05-23-2007, 09:47 AM
i guess some are more greedy than others. if you look it at if you play for less and win the superbowl you should be able to make up for the money by getting endorsements and things..

You would think but still, if players can't make financially sound decisions when making $4 million a year, what are they going to do with $10 - piss it away?

The NFL is becoming like a train wreck. You don't want to watch but you can't help but look!

TackleMeBen
05-23-2007, 09:55 AM
You would think but still, if players can't make financially sound decisions when making $4 million a year, what are they going to do with $10 - piss it away?

The NFL is becoming like a train wreck. You don't want to watch but you can't help but look!

you are exactly right. and the more they get the more they want. :thumbsup:

fansince'76
05-23-2007, 09:58 AM
He said he wouldn't attend,so as far as I am concerned,this is a non-story.

Agreed. :yawn: :coffee:

Mosca
05-23-2007, 10:18 AM
I think that he's making the smart move for Alan Faneca. He has to think about minimizing his chances for injury. I think he'll play to the same high level that he always has... and if he doesn't, he'll sit for some games and lower his value.

Not a big deal, only a story because in Pittsburgh everything Steelers is a story.

Tom

stlrtruck
05-23-2007, 10:52 AM
Not a big deal, only a story because in Pittsburgh everything Steelers is a story.
Tom

If that ain't the God's honest truth! :cheers:

memphissteelergirl
05-23-2007, 11:51 AM
No surprise, but I agree that Faneca needs to grow the h*** up.

ShutDown24
05-23-2007, 11:57 AM
I wish we would just trade him honestly. We have some good young offensive linemen and the sooner the get experiance the better. The Cards were honestly considering trding Larry Fitzgerald earlier in the year and, since he will probably end up there anyway, why not see if we could send Fanceca for the old Pitt receiver? While that sounds very unrealistic I can only imagin what Whisenhunt and Grimm would do to get him. A line with Oliver Ross, Faneca and Levi Brown on it wouldn't be that bad. Fitzgerald with Holmes and Ward makes sense. We don't have a tall go get it receiver... I know, It probably sounds crazy but w/e... I would do it.

TackleMeBen
05-23-2007, 12:10 PM
No surprise, but I agree that Faneca needs to grow the h*** up.

i couldnt have said it better. :wink02:

83-Steelers-43
05-24-2007, 09:08 AM
Steelers linemate accepts Faneca's absence

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, May 24, 2007

Marvel Smith has been a mainstay at left tackle. He's the first Steelers offensive lineman in recent memory to open his rookie season as a starter. Smith and left guard Alan Faneca formed the backbone of the line.

When asked what it would be like lining up without Faneca -- he has missed the first two voluntary organized team activity sessions because of a contract dispute and insists 2007 will be his last season with the Steelers -- Smith said he and Faneca make a perfect team.

"Now it's just at a point where we have our own communication out there," said Smith, who has started the past four seasons beside Faneca. "Somebody (else) that might play next to me, it's a completely different communication than what me and Alan use. A lot of times we don't even say anything to each other, because we know what each other sees out there at the same time."

Smith said that while cohesion and continuity are important to effective line play, Faneca's absence isn't a concern.

Faneca is expected to miss all 14 workouts, but he will report for training camp in July.
"The offensive line is the one position in football where if everybody's not on the same page, no play is going to work," Smith said. "Me, personally, I'm not worried about Alan not being here. We've played together for a long time. Him not being here right now isn't a big deal. It's not even mandatory. We all know what we're going to get from Alan when he gets here."

Smith said playing beside Faneca helped make him a better player. A second-round draft pick in 2000, he began as a right tackle before switching to the left side in 2003.

While making the transition to left tackle, which is difficult because it involves protecting the quarterback's blind side, Smith was hampered by a pinched nerve in his neck. He appeared in only six games that season and was placed on injured reserve.

"Moving to the left side was a challenge, but it's easier getting used to playing with a player that plays at his level," Smith said of Faneca. "He helps you play better, and mentally I know I've got to play at the level he plays at."

Smith, considered one of the best left tackles in the NFL, appreciates the shift in philosophy under new coach Mike Tomlin that will allow quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to make the offensive line calls. Previously, the center and two guards made those calls.

"It's good for Ben to see everything that's going on and not rely on us to make the calls," Smith said. "Last year, we made calls, but sometimes we weren't on the same page with him. In a loud stadium, he can't sometimes hear the calls that we're making. If he's back there making the calls, everybody knows what's going on. It makes things a lot more simplified, plus it will help him progress that much more reading the defense."

Asked to compare the Steelers under Tomlin and under Bill Cowher, Smith said, "It's almost like night and day. It's nothing like the way it was when coach Cowher was here. Everything's new, but it's all in how you interpret it and take in the knowledge they're trying to give us. It's some things added to the playbook that the offense didn't do in the past. Once we all get used to it, we're going to be that much better of an offense than we were last year."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_509184.html