PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Release Veteran Punter Chris Gardocki

TackleMeBen
05-23-2007, 03:30 PM
PITTSBURGH ? <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt">The Steelers released 16-year veteran punter Chris Gardocki from their roster today, it was announced.

83-Steelers-43
05-23-2007, 03:33 PM
No big surprise here. Bye-bye Chris.

Steelers Release Veteran Punter Chris Gardocki

PITTSBURGH — The Steelers released 16-year veteran punter Chris Gardocki from their roster today, it was announced.

Gardocki (6-1, 192) signed with the Steelers prior to the 2004 season and was the team's punter the past three seasons. Originally drafted by the Chicago Bears in the third round (78th overall) of the 1991 NFL Draft out of Clemson, Gardocki played four seasons with the Bears, four seasons with the Indianapolis Colts and then five years with the Cleveland Browns before coming to the Steelers.

Gardocki has never had a punt blocked in his career, booting a league-record 1,177 times without one being blocked. In his three seasons with Pittsburgh, he had 199 punts for 8,369 yards (42.1 avg.), including a long of 65 yards.

In his 16 seasons, Gardocki punted 1,177 times for 50,336 yards (42.8 avg.) and was named to the Pro Bowl following the 1996 season. That year, he posted a career-high 45.7 punting average.

http://news.steelers.com/article/76826/

drew102e
05-23-2007, 03:46 PM
saw this one coming, though i thought it would happen at latrobe

tony hipchest
05-23-2007, 03:48 PM
youre number one chris! :upyours:

fansince'76
05-23-2007, 03:48 PM
saw this one coming, though i thought it would happen at latrobe

Same here - I thought for sure they would wait until the first round of player cuts in TC. And yeah, no surprise.

memphissteelergirl
05-23-2007, 03:50 PM
Suppose it was inevitable...thanks CG!

83-Steelers-43
05-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Hey, little bit of interesting trivia I thought I would share with all of you. Did you know that Gardocki never had a punt blocked? :wink02::dang:

WWIIOwheelz
05-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Maybe as a joke next year, the announcers will say "He's never had one blocked" from the very start of the new guy's career.

Heh! (Gotta admit, that would be pretty funny)

RoethlisBURGHer
05-23-2007, 04:02 PM
This is no surprise.

When you draft a punter or kicker,he makes the team.And almost nobody carries two punter or kickers.

steelersfanman92
05-23-2007, 04:02 PM
it took long enough he sucked last season

Elvis
05-23-2007, 04:03 PM
OSTA---LA--VISTA BABY!!!!!
:tt02::tt02::tt02:

msafford
05-23-2007, 04:19 PM
What?!?!?! Whatever will we do? I mean....no punts blocked...ever!!! However will we survive, having just drafted one of the best punters in college football history? I'm so sad and shocked, I could cry.

Note sarcasm.

Counselor
05-23-2007, 04:43 PM
Hey, little bit of interesting trivia I thought I would share with all of you. Did you know that Gardocki never had a punt blocked? :wink02::dang:

amazing...another little know fact---Jerome Bettis is from Detroit.

In all seriousness though---its probably goods for him he was released now (instead of at camp) if he wants to try and sign with another team. Or he can just get a jump start on retirement.

SteelCityMan786
05-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Daniel Sepulveda, ST rookie of the year. lol.

stillers4me
05-23-2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks, Chris.....and best of luck to you!

The Duke
05-23-2007, 05:11 PM
good luck gardocki

fansince'76
05-23-2007, 05:33 PM
Maybe as a joke next year, the announcers will say "He's never had one blocked" from the very start of the new guy's career.

Heh! (Gotta admit, that would be pretty funny)

Can you imagine what will happen if he does somehow has one blocked? "We want Gardocki!" :chuckle:

MACH1
05-23-2007, 05:43 PM
About time, the 20yd kicks were killing us.

HometownGal
05-23-2007, 05:49 PM
Suppose it was inevitable...thanks CG!

Thank you, MSG, for having the class to thank the man for his service to the Steelers. I didn't hear anyone bitc hing when he was booting those punts during the 2005 season and especially during our playoff run. Hark! I hear a Janet Jackson song playing in the background here. :rolleyes:

I second that motion - thank you Chris and good luck. :cheers:

jjpro11
05-23-2007, 05:57 PM
amazing...another little know fact---Jerome Bettis is from Detroit.

In all seriousness though---its probably goods for him he was released now (instead of at camp) if he wants to try and sign with another team. Or he can just get a jump start on retirement.

i wouldnt be surprised if he even requested to be released... he has to know he had no chance at making the team when we spent a 4th rounder on a new punter.

verks36
05-23-2007, 06:08 PM
Well he never had a punt blocked in his career but once we drafted a punter it was bye bye chris

83-Steelers-43
05-23-2007, 06:40 PM
it took long enough he sucked last season

That's a little harsh. But did you know he never had a punt blocked? Seriously, it's a little known fact in Steeler history. Never.......ever. Also, Ben likes cheese.

http://www.onetimearoundagain.com/halloweenparty/images/costumeideas/special_ed_a3.jpgI like cheese, I like cheese, I like cheese, I like cheese, I like cheese, I like cheese, I like cheese, I like cheese, I like cheese, I like cheese, I like cheese, I like cheese.......yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!

steelersfanmx
05-23-2007, 06:51 PM
Well... good luck to Gardocki, and:tt02:
especially... good luck to our new punter!... Go Sepulveda!!!!!:jammin:

TX Steel
05-23-2007, 07:18 PM
The Sepulveda era officially begins! I watched this guy in college for a couple years and he can be really special. Plus he's got to be the most athletic punter I've ever seen! No sissy punter jokes comin' his way...

I think Gardoki's experience was his biggest benefit to our team. Think he'll hang em up or sign with someone else?

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
05-23-2007, 07:25 PM
This is good news........Looks like the new punter is doing good

tony hipchest
05-23-2007, 08:08 PM
That's a little harsh. But did you know he never had a punt blocked? Seriously, it's a little known fact in Steeler history. Never.......ever. Also, Ben likes cheese.

http://www.onetimearoundagain.com/halloweenparty/images/costumeideas/special_ed_a3.jpgI like cheese, I like cheese, I like cheese, I like cheese, I like cheese, I like cheese, I like cheese, I like cheese, I like cheese, I like cheese, I like cheese, I like cheese.......yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!:toofunny:: rofl::toofunny:

that caught me totally off guard :cheers:

gardocki gave us some good years. i even give him a pass on last year because he was just one of many who screwed the pooch (pardon the pooch-punt pun). atleast he had age to use as an excuse.

a generous and good move by the steelers to realize he wasnt the future, and let him go early, to compete in some other camp, rather than letting him hang for a long time (something his punts could no longer do)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Sepulveda era officially begins! I watched this guy in college for a couple years and he can be really special. Plus he's got to be the most athletic punter I've ever seen! No sissy punter jokes comin' his way...

I think Gardoki's experience was his biggest benefit to our team. Think he'll hang em up or sign with someone else?do the patriots need a punter? they love older steeler re-treads. i think gardocki can make a roster somewhere. i hear he's never had a kick blocked in his whole career. :chuckle:

TackleMeBen
05-23-2007, 08:14 PM
tony

i was waiting on you to post the cheese picture....lol...:cheer:

83-Steelers-43
05-23-2007, 08:17 PM
a generous and good move by the steelers to realize he wasnt the future, and let him go early, to compete in some other camp, rather than letting him hang for a long time (something his punts could no longer do)

So it was kind of like putting Barbaro out of it's misery with a .22 to the brain piece? See, my point is why can't we do this with people such as Anna Nicole Smith? Just putting the idea out there, that's all.

SteelerWatch
05-23-2007, 08:19 PM
I didn't hear anyone bitc hing when he was booting those punts during the 2005 season and especially during our playoff run.

Didn't we go two games in 2005 without punting? Or only punted once in a two-game span?

While I believe in thanking someone for their services rendered -- and he did a good job, really, until last season -- I also agree that it was time. He was a great asset for the team and I wish we had kept him until TC, if only to help Sepulveda develop at a level where the opponent gets into your face a lot quicker.

Little-known statistic: Chris is 1-7 passing in his career, with his one completion good for 43 yards. His rating is 52.7, which means he's had a better career as a passer than Kordell Stewart :sofunny: (y'know, it's fun to pick on the guy, but statistically he had a very good career).

83-Steelers-43
05-23-2007, 08:21 PM
Hey, I love Chris Gardocki and I love cheese......hell, I love eating cheese while watching Chris Gardocki punt. I'm in the clear.

TackleMeBen
05-23-2007, 08:27 PM
Hey, I love Chris Gardocki and I love cheese......hell, I love eating cheese while watching Chris Gardocki punt. I'm in the clear.

you guys please stop with the cheese reference.. you are going to make me have draems of being attacked by cheese... and thanks to tony, i always have the picture of ben with the cheese in my head when you guys talk about cheese.

tony hipchest
05-23-2007, 08:36 PM
tony

i was waiting on you to post the cheese picture....lol...:cheer:

lemme see. ben w/ cheese isnt fitting for the gardocki departure

tony hipchest
05-23-2007, 08:38 PM
you guys please stop with the cheese reference.. you are going to make me have draems of being attacked by cheese... and thanks to tony, i always have the picture of ben with the cheese in my head when you guys talk about cheese.:

i hear gardocki will be trying out for the international cheese kicking competition:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/cheese_roll_004_350x350.jpg

GBMelBlount
05-23-2007, 09:12 PM
About time, the 20yd kicks were killing us.

bc, why are you so negative? He was MUCH closer to 30 yards!

83-Steelers-43
05-23-2007, 09:13 PM
bc, why are you so negative? He was MUCH closer to 30 yards!

Hey, who's counting? All that matters is...........come on........you know the answer..........come on.........he never......finish it off for me.......he never had a.......

Crushzilla
05-23-2007, 09:23 PM
Man, pretty brutal on ol' Chris today...

He'll retire. Where can he go from here... I can see it now...

September 23, 2008. Father/Son Football Game An Overall Success
The father and son football game at Hobbesville Elementary School last night would be hard pressed to rival the AFC playoff game between the Colts and the Steelers in 2006, but it was a hit, nonetheless.

The game was going well until a mix-up in the second quarter caused a twenty minute hiatus in play. The escalation occured when 3' 6" 3rd grader Billy Tompkins slipped through the line on Fourth and 5 and blocked former Super Champion Chris Gardocki's punt, the first time the NFL Punter had been blocked. What happened next was tragic.

The former Pro panicked and the results were not pretty.

"He just didn't know what to do," recalls father John Granderson, "he was acting on pure instinct and adrenaline."

Gardocki, realizing what had happened, picked up the loose ball and began looking for blockers, not realizing that in this particular casual game the ball is considered dead after a block. After what occured next, the 103 people in attendence soon realized why the rule was implemented.

"We don't want anyone to get hurt," said Assistant Principal, and fill in Linebacker Gram Reaves, "So after a blocked kick... or punt... or fumble... we don't want a pileup, we whistle the ball dead."

Gardocki did not hear the whistle, though and began charging toward the endzone, giving a hard stiff arm to 2nd grader Nigel Thorington, sending the youngster to the ground with a shrill scream. Fortunately, the child is in stable condition at Hobbesville Regional Hospital near the Dairy Queen on Grant Street.

After eluding Thorington he ran lowered his shoulder into overweight 3rd grader Tubbs Norrington, while the little chubber was attempting to pour a cup of Gatorade near the sideline. The boy, surprised by the impact, and too fat to catch his balance, fell into the cooler and knocked the refreshing beverage onto a nearby elderly woman in a wheelchair. The woman was not harmed, but, according to eyewitness accounts can not get the smell of Riptide Rush off of her throwover.

Gardocki dashed into the endzone after a 56 yard dash of terror with a trail of pursuing parents and a wake of destruction behind.

"We couldn't get the ball off of him," recalled Reaves. "He had this crazy look in his eye. You know like the kind of look a pitbull has when you try to take its bone, or some fat guy at the Ponderosa who won't give up a chicken wing. He kept screaming 'that kid came out of nowhere! That kid came out of nowhere!' It was f*cking scary."

Gardocki began to calm after he vomited and soiled himself, but would still not let go of the ball.

"It was the only one we had," Reaves recalled. "My wife had to take the Buick to Dick's and buy a new one. It took like a half hour. It's probably for the best, though, he had throw up all over the damn thing."

Gardocki recovered on "The Time Out Bench" with two second graders who were forced to sit out a quarter after spitting on each other. His son, however, did not want to continue after the tragedy and waited, embarrassed, in the Escalade until his father was alright to drive.

"You have to feel for the guy," said Granderson. "He's not used to that... Did you know that he had never been blocked? I didn't know that."

HometownGal
05-23-2007, 09:24 PM
While I believe in thanking someone for their services rendered -- and he did a good job, really, until last season -- I also agree that it was time. He was a great asset for the team and I wish we had kept him until TC, if only to help Sepulveda develop at a level where the opponent gets into your face a lot quicker.

That was my point, SteelerWatch - I'm glad someone got it. :wink02: I agree it is time for Chris to move on - there's a new punter in the Burgh and I'm anxious to see what Sepulveda can do. :thumbsup:

I could see The Finger being made fun of or slammed if he had sucked the entire time he was in the black and gold, but that wasn't the case. I'm not going to crucify him for last season - other than FWP, there's not a one of the bunch that can be complimented for having a solid year. I just appreciate his contributions to the team as I do all other former Steelers (yes - even Kordumbell) and wish them good luck.

83-Steelers-43
05-23-2007, 09:27 PM
NOW THAT, was good stuff. Thank you for the laugh Crushzilla. Christ ol' mighty...

PisnNapalm
05-23-2007, 09:51 PM
Cripes.... Why all the bashing on Gardocki? We all saw this coming the moment Sepulveda was drafted. Chris did nothing but his best while he was with us. I can't fault him for that. Yes he's pretty much over the hill, but who the hell else could we have used last year?

I wish him the best in whatever he does in the future.

LambertLunatic
05-23-2007, 10:04 PM
He'll sign with the Browns, and have a kick blocked in week 1 by the steelers

fansince'76
05-23-2007, 10:12 PM
Well, Gardocki was the 10th-ranked punter in the league in 2004, his first season with us, which is quite respectable:

2004 NFL Punting Stats (http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/PNT/2004/regular)

However, he showed serious decline over both 2005 and 2006, ranking 23rd and 30th in the league, respectively:

2005 NFL Punting Stats (http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/PNT/2005/regular)

2006 NFL Punting Stats (http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/PNT/2006/regular)

I wish Gardocki all the best, but this is a much-needed change at the position for us.

ChronoCross
05-23-2007, 10:24 PM
Field position is a key in this game and it was time for old boy to go. Best of luck to were ever he goes.

GBMelBlount
05-23-2007, 10:33 PM
He'll sign with the Browns, and have a kick blocked in week 1 by the steelers

LMAO! :cheers:

fansince'76
05-23-2007, 11:07 PM

You won't get any from me. The value of an athletic punter:

Relatively early in SB XVIII, Ray Guy jumped at least 3 feet vertically to snag a terrible snap and still got off a beauty of a punt, keeping the momentum from swinging greatly in the Redskins' favor and averting what would have been a disastrous turnover for the Raiders in a game that was still up for grabs at that point. That was one of three plays I still remember clearly from that game, along with Theismann's pick six right before halftime and Marcus Allen's 74-yd TD run. And that play by Guy was just as key as the other 2. If Sepulveda turns out to be 1/2 the punter Guy was, I'll be ecstatic.

SteelersMongol
05-24-2007, 12:09 AM
September 23, 2008. Father/Son Football Game An Overall Success
The father and son football game at Hobbesville Elementary School last night would be hard pressed to rival the AFC playoff game between the Colts and the Steelers in 2006, but it was a hit, nonetheless.

The game was going well until a mix-up in the second quarter caused a twenty minute hiatus in play. The escalation occured when 3' 6" 3rd grader Billy Tompkins slipped through the line on Fourth and 5 and blocked former Super Champion Chris Gardocki's punt, the first time the NFL Punter had been blocked. What happened next was tragic.

The former Pro panicked and the results were not pretty.

"He just didn't know what to do," recalls father John Granderson, "he was acting on pure instinct and adrenaline."

Gardocki, realizing what had happened, picked up the loose ball and began looking for blockers, not realizing that in this particular casual game the ball is considered dead after a block. After what occured next, the 103 people in attendence soon realized why the rule was implemented.

"We don't want anyone to get hurt," said Assistant Principal, and fill in Linebacker Gram Reaves, "So after a blocked kick... or punt... or fumble... we don't want a pileup, we whistle the ball dead."

Gardocki did not hear the whistle, though and began charging toward the endzone, giving a hard stiff arm to 2nd grader Nigel Thorington, sending the youngster to the ground with a shrill scream. Fortunately, the child is in stable condition at Hobbesville Regional Hospital near the Dairy Queen on Grant Street.

After eluding Thorington he ran lowered his shoulder into overweight 3rd grader Tubbs Norrington, while the little chubber was attempting to pour a cup of Gatorade near the sideline. The boy, surprised by the impact, and too fat to catch his balance, fell into the cooler and knocked the refreshing beverage onto a nearby elderly woman in a wheelchair. The woman was not harmed, but, according to eyewitness accounts can not get the smell of Riptide Rush off of her throwover.

Gardocki dashed into the endzone after a 56 yard dash of terror with a trail of pursuing parents and a wake of destruction behind.

"We couldn't get the ball off of him," recalled Reaves. "He had this crazy look in his eye. You know like the kind of look a pitbull has when you try to take its bone, or some fat guy at the Ponderosa who won't give up a chicken wing. He kept screaming 'that kid came out of nowhere! That kid came out of nowhere!' It was f*cking scary."

Gardocki began to calm after he vomited and soiled himself, but would still not let go of the ball.

"It was the only one we had," Reaves recalled. "My wife had to take the Buick to Dick's and buy a new one. It took like a half hour. It's probably for the best, though, he had throw up all over the damn thing."

Gardocki recovered on "The Time Out Bench" with two second graders who were forced to sit out a quarter after spitting on each other. His son, however, did not want to continue after the tragedy and waited, embarrassed, in the Escalade until his father was alright to drive.

"You have to feel for the guy," said Granderson. "He's not used to that... Did you know that he had never been blocked? I didn't know that."

Funny but NOT VERY NICE. :shake01:

SteelersMongol
05-24-2007, 12:16 AM
Cripes.... Why all the bashing on Gardocki? We all saw this coming the moment Sepulveda was drafted. Chris did nothing but his best while he was with us. I can't fault him for that. Yes he's pretty much over the hill, but who the hell else could we have used last year?

I wish him the best in whatever he does in the future.

Same here. Why would you guys start jumping on the guy? Just because he was a Clown once in his lifetime? Then what about the our former HC Cowher? (Note, I'm not saying he is compared to Cowher!) Christ did his best while he was a Steeler. :tt02: That's it. That's all what matters mostto me. I wish him the best with whatever happens to him. Yep. Even if he signs with the Clowns again. :bouncy:

SteelerWatch
05-24-2007, 12:16 AM
Man, pretty brutal on ol' Chris today...

He'll retire. Where can he go from here... I can see it now...

Crush, thanks. This was twice as funny considering I'm reading it through one eye at 1:15am waiting for antacids to kick in, and also because (and take it from a former news editor here) you dang near nailed perfect newspaper style. The ending was classic!

SteelerWatch
05-24-2007, 12:25 AM
... Yes he's pretty much over the hill, but who the hell else could we have used last year? ...

We did have Mike Barr but Gardocki was picked over him at TC. It does make you wonder, given how disinterested he was, if Bill paid much attention to the competition in TC. I don't know how good Barr is, but if we've dragged him to camp more than once there has to be something worth looking at.

Crushzilla
05-24-2007, 03:18 AM
Crush, thanks. This was twice as funny considering I'm reading it through one eye at 1:15am waiting for antacids to kick in, and also because (and take it from a former news editor here) you dang near nailed perfect newspaper style. The ending was classic!

That High School Journalism class kicked in there :thumbsup:

Galax Steeler
05-24-2007, 04:01 AM
I'M glad we got someone who can punt the ball past 30 yards.

SteelerFanInCA
05-24-2007, 09:34 AM
Yeah I guess everyone saw that coming.

klick81
05-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Thanks for your services Gardocki.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-24-2007, 10:05 AM
Hey, who's counting? All that matters is...........come on........you know the answer..........come on.........he never......finish it off for me.......he never had a.......

......uh.........I KNOW THIS ONE!!!!.....:dang:.....uh......DANG!!!!!......OH!! !!!...Field Goal Blocked!!!

fansince'76
05-24-2007, 04:10 PM
Well, that saves us a million bucks.

$1.3 mil, to be exact. Hey, when you're as thin against the cap as we are, a couple hundred grand more doesn't hurt.

SteelerWatch
05-24-2007, 08:03 PM
Still hits us with $212,000 on the signing bonus, though.

X-Terminator
05-27-2007, 01:27 PM
Still hits us with $212,000 on the signing bonus, though.

A pittance compared to $1.3 million.

Can't say nobody saw this coming after Sepulveda was drafted. Let's face it, he didn't do a very good job last season and it was time for a change.

FastWillieParker39
05-27-2007, 02:24 PM
I'm actually glad they did this. Now we will have Sepulvda for a long, long time. Out with the old, in with the new!

delhess
05-27-2007, 03:26 PM
I'm actually glad they did this. Now we will have Sepulvda for a long, long time. Out with the old, in with the new!

yeah, the new guy can tackle too. lol

Crushzilla
05-27-2007, 08:12 PM
yeah, the new guy can tackle too. lol

I have a feeling that is gonna be his tag line like Gardocki had the "never been blocked..."

Did you know he was a walk on linebacker in college? :sofunny:

ircurt11
05-31-2007, 04:29 PM
Can you imagine what will happen if he does somehow has one blocked? "We want Gardocki!" :chuckle:

He's TECHNICALLY never had a punt blocked. guys have gotten hands on the kicks, but the ball has gotten past the line of scrimmage so it doesn't count.:jammin: