PDA

View Full Version : You are the Steelers GM.....

Livinginthe past
05-23-2007, 06:21 PM
You are in a hypothetical situation where you have to make a choice about the direction of the Steelers franchise which boils down to taking one of two options (for arguments sake there are no other options available)

1. Sign Ben R. to a 6 year deal and Hines W. to a new 3 year cap friendly contract

Lose Faneca and Troy Polamalu to FA in 2008

2. Sign Faneca to a 5 year deal which makes him the highest paid guard in football and Troy to a deal that makes him the highest paid safety in football.

Lose Faneca to FA in 2008 and Ben in 2010.

Which deal do you make?

steelersfanmx
05-23-2007, 06:40 PM
Im the first in voting in this poll...LOL:bouncy:
And I think a franchise QB and a WR like Ward would be my choice..
....hate to lose Polamalu.. hes one of a kind!...

Ps. Why u torment us whit such hypotetical situations?:headshake::flap:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-23-2007, 06:54 PM
Well the Steelers already resigned Hines Ward and he isn't getting any younger. So I would resign Troy and Ben.

qbvision.com
05-23-2007, 06:55 PM
:tt02: NEITHER....I sign Troy and Ben....... :tt02:

tony hipchest
05-23-2007, 06:58 PM
i would really need more info on this bizarre hypothetical, like what is our cap situation and the contractual status on our back ups.

if the options are either a) or b) you gotta look at who we would be most successful with next year if either pair were hurt. although i have full confidence in charlie batch, i dont have 6 years of confidence in him.

i think ben and hines being off the team next year would hurt worse than troy and faneca. being that the steelers already seem to accept the fact that they are moving on w/o faneca that is probably the direction i would lean in, although you dont replace the best guard and safety in the game, just like that.

a smart gm will find a way to go with the youth and upside. ben has the most upside, and the highest trade value.

ben and hines :hunch:

Livinginthe past
05-23-2007, 07:10 PM
i would really need more info on this bizarre hypothetical, like what is our cap situation and the contractual status on our back ups.

if the options are either a) or b) you gotta look at who we would be most successful with next year if either pair were hurt. although i have full confidence in charlie batch, i dont have 6 years of confidence in him.

i think ben and hines being off the team next year would hurt worse than troy and faneca. being that the steelers already seem to accept the fact that they are moving on w/o faneca that is probably the direction i would lean in, although you dont replace the best guard and safety in the game, just like that.

a smart gm will find a way to go with the youth and upside. ben has the most upside, and the highest trade value.

ben and hines :hunch:

Sure, its a little bizarre - thats why I didn't want to get too bogged down in hypothetical salaries (and then into potential cap hits).

83-Steelers-43
05-23-2007, 07:16 PM
This is like asking Michael Vick if he would rather have chlamydia or syphilis.

25MVPKing
05-23-2007, 07:21 PM
This is like asking Michael Vick if he would rather have chlamydia or syphilis.
Surely, you mean "Ron Mexico"

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
05-23-2007, 07:23 PM
I agree, Ben and Troy.
But if you have to make a choice.....You always go with the franchise quarterback

tony hipchest
05-23-2007, 07:24 PM
Sure, its a little bizarre - thats why I didn't want to get too bogged down in hypothetical salaries (and then into potential cap hits).its a thought provoking hypothetical, one that could logically lead to a split decision, therefore it is a good way to guage fan sentiment.
then again, i find any poll with the potential to start an argument as a good poll. :sofunny: :jammin: :cool:

polls where you find out 80% of the people think you are crazy are the best. :hypno: :wink02:

83-Steelers-43
05-23-2007, 07:26 PM

I'm with you, but if I had to choose, I guess I go with our "franchise" QB. This is a hard decision to make when your not able to see how your "franchise" QB bounces back after a pathetic season.

In a realistic world, Ben and Troy.

tony hipchest
05-23-2007, 07:27 PM
This is like asking Michael Vick if he would rather have chlamydia or syphilis.so true. i guess i would be 51% in favor of the clap :dang:

Livinginthe past
05-23-2007, 07:45 PM
its a thought provoking hypothetical, one that could logically lead to a split decision, therefore it is a good way to guage fan sentiment.
then again, i find any poll with the potential to start an argument as a good poll. :sofunny: :jammin: :cool:

polls where you find out 80% of the people think you are crazy are the best. :hypno: :wink02:

LOL..you need a poll to tell you that? :sofunny:

Seriously, I thought that was a pretty illuminating poll (in terms of fans awareness of the cap and its implications) you did on the Faneca/trade scenarios - proved to be a few weeks ahead of the curve too.

Crushzilla
05-23-2007, 08:40 PM
You are in a hypothetical situation where you have to make a choice about the direction of the Steelers franchise which boils down to taking one of two options (for arguments sake there are no other options available)

1. Sign Ben R. to a 6 year deal and Hines W. to a new 3 year cap friendly contract

Lose Faneca and Troy Polamalu to FA in 2008

2. Sign Faneca to a 5 year deal which makes him the highest paid guard in football and Troy to a deal that makes him the highest paid safety in football.

Lose Faneca to FA in 2008 and Ben in 2010.

Which deal do you make?

This is hard.

I voted for Ben and Hines, but the other option is definetly viable.

I mean its either the best Guard and best Safety or a possesstion receiver and second tier quarterback.

The only problem is that the QB position is SO hard to replace, so I had to go with Ben/Ward.

Despite losing two of the best players in the league, you need that foundation. Ben's the rock.

ChronoCross
05-23-2007, 10:05 PM
Ben and Troy... Ward will still be around and most likely restructure to retire a steeler.

ben2hines=6
05-24-2007, 12:16 AM
well i guess i busted the streak, i went with polamalu...cant help it.........ohh and whos to say that mexico doesnt already have both:sofunny:

DACEB
05-24-2007, 01:46 PM
Let's see a QB & WR vs. an OG & SS. Should be easy right, just goes to show how much we all really love Faneca and just how special Troy is.

stlrtruck
05-24-2007, 02:21 PM
Sorry I refuse to answer the question based on the grounds that I feel you are trying to "trap" us Steelers fans into something so you can poke fun at us later! :flap:

And in all seriousness, I love Ward, he's my favorite and Troy is second but in the order of need, we need to keep Troy and Ben. You can't rob Peter to pay Paul in this hypothetical situation.

Besides if they got rid of Troy, Ben, or Hines, I think there would be a lot of Steelers fans doing this :banging: and :pissed: and :dualies: and :drink: while other team's fans would be standing by :banana: and :chicken: and eager to :poke:

yinzer-inseattle
05-24-2007, 02:54 PM
how do you let go of a 4th year QB with Ben's credentials? No Brainer. I'd choose Ben and whomever is tacked on with him.

NV STEELERS 723
05-24-2007, 03:17 PM
YEP....we will sign both Troy and Ben... Ward re-structures...its all about the bonus money anyway, and Hines already got 9 million

Stlrs4Life
05-24-2007, 08:50 PM

Same here, the choices were wierd. But voted to keep Ben and Hines.

NV STEELERS 723
05-24-2007, 10:12 PM
I didn't vote either...the options are not a likely package anyway.....I would expect better from LITP given his football knowledge...

Preacher
05-24-2007, 10:49 PM
I didn't vote either...the options are not a likely package anyway.....I would expect better from LITP given his football knowledge...

I think the poll was more of a hypothetical... if you HAD Too... which way would you go.

GBMelBlount
05-24-2007, 10:59 PM
Preach, I would vote the F.O. make the decision in good faith knowing that we will likely kick the PAT's a$$ this year!. LITP, please convert!!!! We know you're a closet SF!

Bless,
GB

Livinginthe past
05-25-2007, 03:32 AM
Sorry I refuse to answer the question based on the grounds that I feel you are trying to "trap" us Steelers fans into something so you can poke fun at us later! :flap:

And in all seriousness, I love Ward, he's my favorite and Troy is second but in the order of need, we need to keep Troy and Ben. You can't rob Peter to pay Paul in this hypothetical situation.

Besides if they got rid of Troy, Ben, or Hines, I think there would be a lot of Steelers fans doing this :banging: and :pissed: and :dualies: and :drink: while other team's fans would be standing by :banana: and :chicken: and eager to :poke:

LOL.

Well, gee whizz, you must think im some kinda sneaky character.... :toofunny:

What I was trying to do was give you guys a genuine dilemna - alot of these polls/questions are too easy to answer... ie Will 'Touchdown Baker be the bestest WR ever..?

Reading this forum sometimes you would think that the FO had unlimited resources - this was an attempt at a demonstration of the issues that FO's sometimes have to deal with.

Thats all - no trap :wink02:

Livinginthe past
05-25-2007, 03:38 AM

As Preacher said, it was just an attempt to give Steeler fans a genuine dilemna to think about.

Alot of the time you get threads like 'Should we keep Hines?' and the main consensus is nearly always 'yes'.

Then you can repeat that formula for Ben, Troy, Faneca, Willie Parker....and all you learn is that majority of people want to keep all of those players.

If you don't want to vote, thats fine - it was a purely hypothetical question loosely based around the contractual issues of the Steelers offseason. :cheers:

Crushzilla
05-25-2007, 03:49 AM
As Preacher said, it was just an attempt to give Steeler fans a genuine dilemna to think about.

Alot of the time you get threads like 'Should we keep Hines?' and the main consensus is nearly always 'yes'.

Then you can repeat that formula for Ben, Troy, Faneca, Willie Parker....and all you learn is that majority of people want to keep all of those players.

If you don't want to vote, thats fine - it was a purely hypothetical question loosely based around the contractual issues of the Steelers offseason. :cheers:

Ya, I couldn't believe how many people answered keep Ben and Troy. That wasn't an option guys... Don't worry the F.O. won't be making their decisions based off this poll :wink02:

P.S. Apparently we are the only two up at this ungodly hour, LITP...

Livinginthe past
05-25-2007, 03:55 AM
Ya, I couldn't believe how many people answered keep Ben and Troy. That wasn't an option guys... Don't worry the F.O. won't be making their decisions based off this poll :wink02:

P.S. Apparently we are the only two up at this ungodly hour, LITP...

Yeah, I knew some people would try and go for the non-existent Ben/Troy option :toofunny:

Ah, its a lovely sunny morning here - approx 10am in the UK.

Elvis
05-28-2007, 03:40 PM
Well the Steelers already resigned Hines Ward and he isn't getting any younger. So I would resign Troy and Ben.
The Steelers would be crazy not to do this one... There is no other deals that they should worry about before these two are taken care of . I love Hines and Faneca can find a new home anytime in my opinion and it wouldnt bother me in the least. Troy and Ben are the most important part of their respective sides of the ball.
:tt02::wave:

05-29-2007, 10:50 AM
Those aren't very good options. If we have half a brain, we ought to be able to figure out a way to keep Ben, Hines AND Troy. That's the upside of sacrificing Porter and Faneca.

+1

Here is a hypothetical for you, based totally in fantasy, just for discussion purposes, of course.

The Patriots can keep Tom Brady, but they have to cut A. Thomas, R. Moss, and D. Stallworth to pay for his new extension; or they can cut Brady loose right now, keep the other three guys and have Matt Cassels start at QB.

Make a choice, one or the other. If I were the Pats GM I would cut Brady. Hell, I would have cut him last month after he was photographed wearing a Yankees hat.

Livinginthe past
05-29-2007, 11:34 AM
+1

Here is a hypothetical for you, based totally in fantasy, just for discussion purposes, of course.

The Patriots can keep Tom Brady, but they have to cut A. Thomas, R. Moss, and D. Stallworth to pay for his new extension; or they can cut Brady loose right now, keep the other three guys and have Matt Cassels start at QB.

Make a choice, one or the other. If I were the Pats GM I would cut Brady. Hell, I would have cut him last month after he was photographed wearing a Yankees hat.

I'll keep Brady and cut R.Moss, A.Thomas and D.Stallworth to pay for the extension.

My reasoning would be that Brady won 3 rings without those guys and he could probably win another if they had to leave the team again.

See how easy that was?

No whining about 'unrealistic options' no fabricating of options that don't exist ie the mysterious Ben/Troy option that appeared at some point.

Easy.

Next?

05-29-2007, 03:42 PM
Ben/Troy may not be an option you proposed in your poll, but "realistically" it is the one option that will most likely play out. Fanaca is most likely good as gone, especially considering his comments to the media prior to mini-camp. The Steelers will most likely sign Troy to a lucrative contract this summer, and then concentrate on Ben after that. As for Hines, he just got his deal two years ago, and if he becomes to expensive for his production, he will be asked to restructure, or get the ax.

So, I guess what I am getting at, is how can you have a poll, without the most realistic option as one of the options? It would be like conducting a poll on the Republican Primary race without including McCain, Gulliani, or Romney as choices in the poll.

Livinginthe past
05-29-2007, 04:10 PM
Ben/Troy may not be an option you proposed in your poll, but "realistically" it is the one option that will most likely play out. Fanaca is most likely good as gone, especially considering his comments to the media prior to mini-camp. The Steelers will most likely sign Troy to a lucrative contract this summer, and then concentrate on Ben after that. As for Hines, he just got his deal two years ago, and if he becomes to expensive for his production, he will be asked to restructure, or get the ax.

So, I guess what I am getting at, is how can you have a poll, without the most realistic option as one of the options? It would be like conducting a poll on the Republican Primary race without including McCain, Gulliani, or Romney as choices in the poll.

You basically answered your own question for me.

If I put the most obvious answer, which also happens to be the most favorable answer, as an option everyone would have voted for it - therefore negating the need for a poll in the first place.

So we would have learnt that everyone loves Ben and Troy more than Hines and Faneca - I dont think anybody would be fainting with surprise at those findings, right?

I look forward to your forthcoming poll based upon the question : 'Do we want to win the Superbowl this year?'....dont forget to include the most realistic answer :wink02:

Stillers43
05-30-2007, 07:26 AM
Troy and Ben

05-30-2007, 08:06 AM
You basically answered your own question for me.

If I put the most obvious answer, which also happens to be the most favorable answer, as an option everyone would have voted for it - therefore negating the need for a poll in the first place.

So we would have learnt that everyone loves Ben and Troy more than Hines and Faneca - I dont think anybody would be fainting with surprise at those findings, right?

I look forward to your forthcoming poll based upon the question : 'Do we want to win the Superbowl this year?'....dont forget to include the most realistic answer :wink02:

If you want to go with the most obvious/favorable/popular answer then I will take option "D", the Steelers will keep all four, Ben, Troy, Hines, and Alan; plus they would have found some way to keep Porter; and to top it off they will win the Super Bowl from now until eternity:tt02:! I beleive if that was an option, it would have received 100% of the vote.

All I am saying is your poll is flawed because the Steelers do not have to choose between Ben/Hines, or Troy/Alan. They have to choose between Ben, Troy, and Alan (most likely being able to keep two out of the three); and in a year or two, decide whether or not Hines is still worth his contract.

ircurt11
05-31-2007, 04:14 PM
I voted for Ben and Ward. Faneca is getting older and he only has a good year or two left in him. I'm not saying that Polamalu is an acceptable loss, in fact for a secondary that's struggling like our's, a veteran Steeler back there to take charge is the biggest need right now. But Hines Ward is such an awesome complete package that it would be impossible to pass up on him: he's got the hands of a receiver and can make big, clutch catches and he also is a beast blocking.:jammin:

BeuffordLTD
05-31-2007, 07:30 PM
Voted Faneca and Troy...Ben and Hines can be negotiated later.

But I guess that's why I am in front of my TV in my office watching the Steelers, instead of in the Steelers Front Office and on TV.

steelcity58
06-02-2007, 11:46 PM
Sign Roth and Polamalu...

Tell Hines just to be Hines..and that's all he needs...

Tell Faneca to call a cab...his things will be sent to him...COD