PDA

View Full Version : Classiest recent steelers

GBMelBlount
05-23-2007, 09:51 PM
What Jerome did for us & to stay with us for the Superbowl win was amazing. Are there any other truly classy recent Steelers?

ben2hines=6
05-24-2007, 12:24 AM
i will stand for polamalu all day and so will most.....but what about dawson?? i dont remember ever hearing any complaints about that fella

ARKIESTEEL
05-24-2007, 05:54 AM
Troy, Hines, The Bus all come to mind real quick

fansince'76
05-24-2007, 10:04 AM
Faneca! :toofunny:

25MVPKing
05-24-2007, 10:05 AM
I know this might ignite some fires:stirthepot:, but was Bettis staying for altruistic reasons or for his personal reasons?

Could he have gone somewhere else for decent money?
Could he have won a ring anywhere else in the twilight of his career?

I don't have a problem with Bettis, I just wonder if his staying was "amazing" for us or him? And whether or not is was "amazing," what it "classy"?

Just playing devil's advocate. :poke::argue:

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-24-2007, 10:08 AM
Faneca! :toofunny:

....youre not right......you know that dont you?...:sofunny::sofunny:

fansince'76
05-24-2007, 10:10 AM
I know this might ignite some fires:stirthepot:, but was Bettis staying for altruistic reasons or for his personal reasons?

Could he have gone somewhere else for decent money?
Could he have won a ring anywhere else in the twilight of his career?

I don't have a problem with Bettis, I just wonder if his staying was "amazing" for us or him? And whether or not is was "amazing," what it "classy"?

Just playing devil's advocate. :poke::argue:

Nope, the Bus stuck around primarily because he was well past his prime, other teams knew it and no better offers were forthcoming. He didn't take less money to stay in the 'Burgh out of the goodness of his heart. Now, before I get flamed for this, I'd like to also mention that he's still my 3rd all-time favorite Steeler (after MJG and Lambert). And as far as Troy goes, I agree with something Stlrs4life said in another thread on the matter - I'll believe he's staying when and only when he inks an extension.

alittlejazzbird
05-24-2007, 10:38 AM
Jerome was smart enough to stay with the Steelers because he understood that they were right on the cusp of being able to win a Super Bowl, and he (a) wanted to have a Super Bowl ring, like any other player, and (b) knew that a championship would cement his status as a potential Hall of Famer. I believe he genuinely liked Pittsburgh, the fans, and the organization, and he saw the chance for a lasting legacy by retiring as a Steeler with a Super Bowl championship. It was the best of all possible worlds for him, and he knew it.

We're very fortunate that there are a lot of "classy" players on this team, some you hear about all the time (Troy, Hines, etc.), some who might not be so obvious (Ben, whom I've met while performing at events which he has attended, and who is a very nice, approachable, funny, and genuine individual -- he is also very shy, which might surprise you), and some who possibly fly under the radar (Charlie Batch, Jeff Reed, Casey Hampton, Larry Foote and James Farrior come to mind right away).

It's a testament to the philosophy of the Rooneys that they consistently, with relatively few exceptions, draft men of good personal character as well as talent. It's a trend I see continuing during the Tomlin era.

verks36
05-24-2007, 10:46 AM
Willie is a pretty classy guy same with batch but i think it would have to go to dawswon

25MVPKing
05-24-2007, 11:19 AM
Having never been anywhere near meeting a Steeler, all I can go by is what I read and see through the media. I agree that Charlie Batch seems to be a very genuine, classy guy. I think he's a heck of a fit as backup in Pittsburgh, too.

I like the new rule about spiking the ball on the field and hope our Steelers, particulary the WRs, understand that was a move made with class and gamesmanship in mind.

Although I will miss "Da Boot"...

coachspeak33
05-24-2007, 11:58 AM
merril hoge....a true warrior.....and even to this day he wears his steelers colors on his sleeve.......Gotta love that

coachspeak33
05-24-2007, 11:59 AM
hoge also got coached by both noll and cowher....probably not many out there who can make that claim

Edman
05-24-2007, 04:05 PM
Willie Parker.

He knows where he came from, how he got here, and and his place on the team. He impressed me last year when he (of all people) called out the team, basically saying the teams' hunger wasn't there and they got seriously complacent. That took serious guts and leadership.

Stlrs4Life
05-24-2007, 08:53 PM
Troy, Hines and The Bus.

The Duke
05-24-2007, 09:48 PM
Troy

Steel Pit
05-25-2007, 12:39 AM
Jeff Hartings, Grade A #1 classy dude.

Preacher
05-25-2007, 12:53 AM
On the Bus...

I think it was a combo. Come 2002, he could still have left when he was demoted in favor of Amos Zeroaue (sp) for a decent amount of money. However, Over the last couple of years he was more dependant on the F.O. I do think another team would have picked him up at the league minimum. Yeah, I have to call him classy.

Hines...

I LOVED the way he handled his walk-out. "It is business. I love Pittsburgh, and the Steelers." that was about all he said. Yeah, I would call that classy.

(Not sure who it was)

One other player... Was in a bar fight. Now, how can that be classy? Easy. he was in a restaurant/bar. A woman was being threatened by a man. The Steeler player stood up and beat his butt!

That is absolutely classy. (It was a linebacker)

yinzer-inseattle
05-27-2007, 06:55 PM
Just by chance one evening, I saw Dermontti Dawson at Don Pablos (Robinson). It took all of me to not interrupt him and his family while they were eating. On the way out I walked up to the table and thaned him for being a great football player and a great Steeler. He just smiled and said thanks.

Dermontti has always been my favorite post 70's Steeler. He's the classiest guy I can think of. I can't wait to cheer him into Canton!

delhess
05-28-2007, 02:46 PM
Jeff Hartings, Grade A #1 classy dude.

i would have to agree with that one.

no one ever talks much about our fullback, but being his neighbor and knowing a lot of the same people, i would have to say that danny kreider is a class act. down to earth, head in the right place, always doing his job well.

LambertIsGod58
05-28-2007, 03:52 PM
I met Bettis in May of 2002. My wife and I were leaving our hotel in NJ and I saw a black limo pull up outside the hotel. I waited to see who got out...None other than Bettis, Ward and Porter. I already had my Steelers sweatshirt on when I approached him for a picture with him. He agreed without hesitation. Then some young kids came up and asked me who he was. There must have been almost 20 kids, selling raffle tickets for a Little League team. When I told them, they bombarded him. He stayed until he signed an autograph for each and every kid. I met Ward at a memorabilia show one time. He was walking around by himself and nobody seemed to notice him. I approached him and asked for a picture and he did so very graciously. Bettis and Ward.

MasterOfPuppets
05-28-2007, 04:14 PM
richard seigler.....nobody gots mo class than a mac daddy :sofunny:

stillers4me
05-28-2007, 04:22 PM
Troy and Jerome......obvious reasons. But I have a feeling there are plenty of other "unsung" classy guys over the years, we just don't always hear about it.