PDA

View Full Version : The 80's metal thread...

Suitanim
09-06-2005, 07:07 PM
I had to do it. I realize there are a lot of kids here who missed the whole thing, but I'm back on another 80's metal tear, and there's nothing to do but talk about it.

I was 11 when I first heard Van Halen and I was addicted from then on. I let the genre go a little in the early 90's, but not for grunge...I was big into "depression wave", like the Cure and stuff (Hey, they were my College years!)...but I still went back.

Anyway, I've been downloading all kinds of stuff...sound out if you recognize!

Outside the obvious, here are some of my fave's.

Iron Maiden, Metallica (pre-Black Album), Slayer, Krokus, Zebra, Asia, Armored Saint, Merciful Fate/King Diamond, Megadeath, Riot, White Lion, Anthrax, The Cult, Dokken, Cinderella, Dio, Queensryche, WASP, etc, etc..

Great musicians, good songwriting, but the message was usually very feel good and 80's...

LambertIsGod58
09-06-2005, 07:33 PM
The only cd's I have on your list is White Lion and an old 45 of Asia's "Heat of the Moment". I have Metallica's best cd, "And Justice for All.....", Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets.

Suitanim
09-06-2005, 07:36 PM
That's a start...how old are you?

Dirtywater
09-06-2005, 08:04 PM
HUGE 80's metal fan. That was my era. Was in a band in high school and everything (drums). I still listen to a bunch of metal to this day.

Good Thread!

Suitanim
09-06-2005, 08:45 PM
HUGE 80's metal fan. That was my era. Was in a band in high school and everything (drums). I still listen to a bunch of metal to this day.

Good Thread!

Dude, that is awesome...I was a novice drummer at 14 and just banging away when a distant neighbor heard me playing and boldly knocked on my door...my parents were immensely cool and let him up...he absolutely SHREDDED on guitar...we became good friends, but I gave up the drums to sing. I was in 3-4 bands over the next few years, and they were all good. I just kind of drifted away from it all...but I've recently been dowloading a lot of that music and been singing it at karaoke joints.

I am seriously looking at buying an electronic drum kit...not to play out, just for fun.

ironcitychef
09-08-2005, 02:43 AM
I pray to two gods...Eddie Van Halen is one of them.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-08-2005, 08:08 AM
Oh yeah dude, this is my kinda thread. Im 80's metal till the end. Nothing but!! Listen to it every day at work, every day in the car, and computer is full of tons of 80s metal and glam rock songs. Wife made me cut off the long hair and lose the mullet a long time ago, but well, ya know :grin:

Poison,Firehouse, Van Halen, LA Guns, Skid Row, Guns n Roses, Slaughter, Dokken, KISS (of course), Twisted Sister, Europe, etc.

80's metal will live on forever and in the words of the Great Sebastian Bach from Skid Row, " We've all heard these songs a million times, but every time we still put our fist in the air" !!

Steel - X
09-08-2005, 09:38 AM
Listening to Metallica Ride the Lightning right now. Love the 80's

RoethlisBURGHer
09-08-2005, 02:12 PM
I have a lot of Metallica,Slayer,Megadeth,Anthrax,WASP,and Iron Madien.

BTW,I'm 20.

Prosdo
09-08-2005, 03:47 PM
I listen to Van Halen and a little bit of Poison. 18 here.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-08-2005, 05:35 PM
I have a lot of Metallica,Slayer,Megadeth,Anthrax,WASP,and Iron Madien.

BTW,I'm 20.

oh yeah.. blackie lawless !!! damn he's a beast! Recently saw him on VH1, he still looks like he rock w/ the best of them!

Im hoping motley crue comes back around again sometime soon. Damn they still put on an awesome show !! too bad the original GnR lineup isnt around anymore, would love to see them again.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-08-2005, 05:55 PM
oh yeah.. blackie lawless !!! damn he's a beast! Recently saw him on VH1, he still looks like he rock w/ the best of them!

Im hoping motley crue comes back around again sometime soon. Damn they still put on an awesome show !! too bad the original GnR lineup isnt around anymore, would love to see them again.

I am a big Crue fan and GnR will never get back together,even for a reunion tour,because Axle is a jackass.

Dirtywater
09-09-2005, 01:43 AM
Man, Appettite For Destruction was a masterpiece. Top to bottom. That CD still holds up today.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-09-2005, 02:18 AM
I am a big Crue fan and GnR will never get back together,even for a reunion tour,because Axle is a jackass.

Yeah aint that the truth..if he could curb the bullshit they would rule the world again !!!

and yeah appetite for destruction was one of the greatest albums of all time, there is no doubt!

clevestinks
09-09-2005, 04:39 PM
The Crue, Van Halen, Guns And Roses. Q.R., and for BlitzburghRockCity, KISS

BlitzburghRockCity
09-09-2005, 05:02 PM
:music: :jammin: Right on Cleve..Shout it out Loud man !!

http://img283.imageshack.us/img283/2671/kiss7eo.gif

Suitanim
09-09-2005, 09:09 PM
I'm actually listening to some old Stryper now...anyone remember them?

Then again, I have WASP on this compilation disc right after the Christian rockers..."I Wanna Be Somebody", "Fuck You Like a Beast", "Wild Child", and "L.O.V.E. Machine"...

BlitzburghRockCity
09-09-2005, 09:25 PM
OMG..Stryper, they are one of my all time favorite bands, I have all their albums, Man those guys could rock I dont care what anybody says!! They did a reunion tour last year, but I missed it!! I know Michael Sweet still does shows. Oddly enough he's actually considered one of the better guitar players rock n roll has seen in the modern era..but Oz Fox got alot of the notoriety, who is also good as well he could fly on that fret board as good as anybody, but it was interesting how many guitar solos Sweet actually played.

and oh yeah, WASP ! Mean Man !! Damn that's a cool song!

Suitanim
09-09-2005, 09:51 PM
This could go on all night...I popped in Yngwie Malmsteem after that, which is ironic because Yngwie always said vocalists were expendable...Michael Sweet had a VERY high voice...I also have some Zebra, and THAT dude had a high voice...it could probably shatter glass!

Dirtywater
09-09-2005, 11:46 PM
Stryper... "Free to Decide" "In God We Trust" "Calling On You" "To Hell With The Devil" "Soldiers Under Command"

... one of my cousin's favorites. He even became friends with them persoanlly years later. Classic.

Ah, you want to know an underrated metal album? Skid Row's "Slave To The Gtrind".

Raw F'ing metal. Also, Testment's "Practice What You Preach" too.

I miss my old metal days. Remember going to metal concerts? Good times.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-10-2005, 01:39 AM
Slave to the grind was a very underrated album.. had to dig that one out from my collection, been awhile since I heard it.

Man the metal days were just awesome... nothing but having fun, letting loose, forgetting ur problems for a few hours when u go to a concert or put on the headphones and just jam!!

Suitanim
09-10-2005, 09:38 AM
Remember? I still go! Every time they have a hair band reunion tour, I check it out. I've seen Ratt, Poison, Quiet Riot, Motley Crue, Slaughter, Dokken, Cinderella and Dio all in the last few years.

The funniest part is that there is a whole subculture of people trapped in the 80's that I never see anywhere but at these concerts...the long hair, the ripped up jeans and bandanna's, the snakeskin boots...whole nine.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-10-2005, 12:09 PM
Exactly suit, the 80's metal crowd, and hell the 80's crowd in general u dont see that often out in public for some reason, but when a concert comes to town, they are everywhere and u wonder where they all are at in everyday life...but hey as long as they still come out to support the 80's that's all that matters right!

We have ALOT of bands that come to the Hershey area, each summer there's always atleast a half dozen bands that come around do shows. Saw Poison/KISS last summer. Harrisburg, near Hershey, is where the members of Poison began, especially Brett Michales; he always loves coming back to this area. And they still ROCK !!!!

lilsteeler
09-11-2005, 08:43 AM
I wasnt even born in the 80`s.

Suitanim
09-11-2005, 08:49 AM
We have a couple metal celebrities from this area, namely Jani Lane from Warrant (although he's old fat and bald now) and Tim "Ripper" Owens from Judas Priest. Both guys are regulars on our morning radio show...

BlitzburghRockCity
09-11-2005, 11:07 AM
Thats definately cool !!! I remember Lane and Warrant in those White leather outfits during their shows during their prime !!

Do you guys get to hear Dee Sniders House of Hair at all, and Monsters of Rock ?

Suitanim
09-12-2005, 09:46 AM
I think House of Hair is carried by one of the local stations, but it runs at some completely insane time like Thursdays at 3 AM. When I need a fix I either watch the "Arena Rock" channel on digital cable, or tune into Sirius 23 "Hair Nation".

docsteel
09-12-2005, 11:17 AM
i seen warrent they opened for paul stanley on his club tour back in 88 i think

Volpe1564
09-17-2005, 10:53 PM
dude.. i just saw Megadeth here in Portland last week. the new album rocks. Maiden, Metallica, Pantera, G N' R, ratt, twisted sister, Motely Crue...i could name a few more but i "listened" to Pink Floyd alil too much in high school, if ya get me? ;)
27 here.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-18-2005, 09:51 AM
:grin: great stuff volpe, bet that show kicked al kinds of ass !!!!

HOH runs everyfriday nite at 10pm in my area and also the Monsters of Rock (http://www.themonstersofrock.com) w/ Harlin, airs every saturday nite at 10pm so I get a double shot of 80's metal every weekend.. It brings ya right back..!!!