PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Lewis: 'Cincy Police Profile Players'

83-Steelers-43
05-24-2007, 05:47 PM
From the Dan Patrick show:

"I think there's profiling, no question... We're (Cincinnati) a small place - our guys stand out, and they know that, and you've got to do things the right way. But when you are arrested for, or you are pulled over for, not putting on your turn signal, there's something wrong there.

Many people make right turns without putting on their turn signals and it's unfortunate that we've had a guy that's pulled over for not putting on his turn signal."

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070524/SPT03/705240324/1035/SPT

Who didn't see this one coming? I'm not suprised in the least bit. Said it once and I'll say it again, it pains me to know this idiot is from the Pittsburgh area.

83-Steelers-43
05-24-2007, 06:24 PM
Oh, Marvin issued an apology today. All is forgotten. Push that one under the carpet.

fansince'76
05-24-2007, 06:25 PM
Ah, so now he's shifting the blame from society to the police. What a tool.

83-Steelers-43
05-24-2007, 06:32 PM
Maybe the Cincinnati police department can set up a program for the Bengal organization? Maybe a daycare center of some sorts? You know, "something to keep them occupied in order to stay out of trouble" during the offseason.

tony hipchest
05-24-2007, 06:38 PM
Many people make right turns without putting on their turn signals and it's unfortunate that we've had a guy that's pulled over for not putting on his turn signal."care to name thet "guy" marvin? could it be chris henry who WASNT SUPPOSED TO BE DRIVING IN THE 1ST PLACE???????

i cant believe this piece of shit actually has a job byond the high school level.

newsflash marvin! your players constantly get arrested because they constantly commit crimes. thanks for asking for a free pass though, you douchebag.

sure bengalfans will think i just dont like him cause he's the bengals coach, but i can honestly say brian billick and especially romeo crennell got nothing on this guy in terms of being so out of touch and delusional. he actually makes barry switzer look sane.

hey marvin! why dont you go try and board a plane with a .38 special in your coat so i can hear you bitch and whine that you were "profiled", when the agents have a foot in your back and a gun to the back of your head.

moron

Jeremy
05-24-2007, 06:39 PM
There will always be bleeding heart apologists for thugs and criminals. Marvin Lewis is just another member of the Bleeding Heart Club.

revefsreleets
05-24-2007, 06:43 PM
Can you blame the guy, though? He's playing the race card, and the race card is batting 1000 as far as I can see.

tony hipchest
05-24-2007, 06:59 PM
Can you blame the guy, though? He's playing the race card, and the race card is batting 1000 as far as I can see.
i wonder if he will be as successful as johnny cochran in helping a football player beat a murder rap?

i hope the bengals keep him for the next 20 years, cause that pretty much guarantees them to suck as bad as they always have. he is a piss poor leader. the good players on the team recognize this as they pull the weight and he coddles the criminals, and massages their nuts.

Jeremy
05-24-2007, 07:08 PM

Yes I can. I can tell him to grow some balls and tell his players to grow up. The race card usually sits in people's wallets right next to their Bleeding Hearts Club card.

Atlanta Dan
05-24-2007, 07:41 PM
From the Dan Patrick show:

"I think there's profiling, no question... We're (Cincinnati) a small place - our guys stand out, and they know that, and you've got to do things the right way. But when you are arrested for, or you are pulled over for, not putting on your turn signal, there's something wrong there.

Many people make right turns without putting on their turn signals and it's unfortunate that we've had a guy that's pulled over for not putting on his turn signal."

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070524/SPT03/705240324/1035/SPT

Who didn't see this one coming? I'm not suprised in the least bit. Said it once and I'll say it again, it pains me to know this idiot is from the Pittsburgh area.

The league office has to love this.

Having seen how the Vick issue is splitting on racial lines in Atlanta, Marvin may be getting closer to saying goodbye in Cincy if he splits the fan base and misses the playoffs again.

83-Steelers-43
05-24-2007, 07:54 PM
I'm sure Carson Palmer is loving this. The guy steps up and preaches accountability and maturity only to watch his head coach turn around and place blame on everybody else except his players and himself.

tony hipchest
05-24-2007, 07:59 PM
marvin lewis apologizesImmediately after the Bengals broke their post-practice huddle Wednesday, head coach Marvin Lewis found out there was a football firestorm brewing in the Tri-State. And he was the one responsible for it.
As quickly as the fervor built up from comments Lewis made during his 12:30 p.m. press conference, however, he calmed the team's angry fan base with an apology and clarification of his stance that people outside the organization don't have the personal investment needed to jump on and off the bandwagon of support for the Bengals.

"People's feelings are very emotional that way," said Lewis after practice. "You want them to stay through thick and thin but that's not human nature. It's all I can control. We're going to try and win football games. If we fill the stadium, we've got a great opportunity to have a decisive advantage, which helps."

Moments later, Lewis phoned the Lance McAlister Show on WCKY-AM (1360), which also broadcasts the coach's press conferences, to apologize to fans like "Roger from Bellevue" who had been bombarding the sports talk show for 90 minutes with call after call criticizing Lewis for saying at his press conference with respect to the 12 straight seasons of losing fans have endured: "I understand that. But again, when you don't have anything invested in it, how can it be baggage for you? -- But when you don't work here and don't have anything truly invested in it, it's like going to the movies. If you don't like the actor or the director, I guess you quit going, and that's part of it."

"Roger," said he has been a season-ticket holder since the franchise's opening season of 1968 and has not missed a home game. He called the team's performance Sunday in a loss to Arizona "pathetic" and added: "They stayed at the Ritz (Carlton hotel); they should have stayed at Motel 6."

That's why Lewis phoned the show.

"It was made to people who jumped off the bandwagon," Lewis said on the air. "I didn't mean to offend anybody. -- I do understand that people do have a financial commitment as far buying tickets and season tickets and we're trying to encourage them to do more of that. So, I do apologize to everybody because I didn't mean it to come out that way. It's just my fault. I was wrong in inferring that. I didn't mean to infer it that way."

During his three-minute call, Lewis apologized five times, said he made a mistake three times and said he was wrong once.

oops... wrong apology. lemme see if i can find the most recent one where this dumbass opened his mouth, said something completely retarded, and had to issue a statement trying to sweep everything under the rug. its a doozie.

tony hipchest
05-24-2007, 08:09 PM
ok. heres his most recent apology, now excuse me while i go shower after visiting a bungles site to dig up this most recent drivel.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6066Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis released a statement late Thursday afternoon reiterating that he didn’t accuse the Cincinnati Police Department of profiling is players racially or otherwise:

“Yesterday, I gave a radio interview and made some comments that did not illustrate the high regard I have for the Cincinnati Police Department. I apologize that what I said did not reflect my true feelings.

“The Bengals have worked closely and positively with the Cincinnati Police Department for decades. Personally, I enjoy a good friendship with Chief Tom Streicher and I have great respect for Chief Streicher and the entire Cincinnati Police Department. I have spoken with Tom today to express my regret. I do not believe the Cincinnati Police Department is specifically profiling our players.

“I also want to note that in my comments, at no point did I say or mean to imply that these issues had anything to do with race. Broadcast comments to the contrary are simply not true. When I spoke of our players being perhaps more subject to scrutiny than others, I was referring to their standing as public figures.”

anyone see the blatant contradiction in the 2 quotes in bold? perhaps "black jesus" would like to explain the difference between "specifically profiling" and "more subject to scrutiny."

idiot

any suprise him and chief tom "enjoy a good friendship" :toofunny:

i wonder how many apologies tomlin will have to issue? probably none. im sure the rooneys would remind him russ grimm is just a phone call away.

once a bungle, always a bungle.

stillers4me
05-24-2007, 08:20 PM
Wwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! Who Dey pickin' on next????????

(How long before this gets moved to the Blast Furnace?)

tony hipchest
05-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Wwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! Who Dey pickin' on next????????

(How long before this gets moved to the Blast Furnace?)unfortunately the bungles are always in the news for the wrong reasons. thats not smack, its simple fact. i dont see why this news related topic (or every single bengals topic) should be immediately moved to the blast furnace.

Jeremy
05-24-2007, 08:51 PM
Marvin Lewis is pathetic.

tony hipchest
05-24-2007, 09:32 PM
Marvin Lewis is pathetic.

and so are all his defenders. this is the company line:

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6067Hobson's Choice: Looking for sanity

May 24, 2007

[question from an e-mailer]:
Why won't Marvin Lewis address some of his players issues instead of deflecting blame? He wouldn't address these issues when they first started happening. Now he is saying local law enforcement is targeting his players. He is going to start losing a lot of respect. Steve, Orlando, FL
STEVE: Let me get this straight. We’ve got somebody over in Kenton County who may have committed governmental misconduct in broad daylight, and the guy who gets saut?ed in the media is a coach shaking his head over a player getting pulled over for not turning on his signal? :sofunny: deflection anyone?

At no time has Lewis deflected blame to anyone but himself and his players,:chuckle: :bs: as reflected in his roster moves (A.J. Nicholson),:cookie: Game Day moves (Chris Henry, Deltha O’Neal):cookie: and in his position as the only head coach at commissioner Roger Goodell’s Conduct Summit back in February.:whip: P>And he certainly has addressed this stuff with the local and national media, ad nauseum.:blah: You only have to go back to the AFC coaches media breakfast in March at the NFL’s annual meeting, where he spun on the spit with the ham and eggs for 45 minutes.:confused: :egg:

Maybe I’m nuts, :yep: but when I read what Marvin said to Dan Patrick I didn’t think he was saying that the police had made his players targets. To me, he was saying his players are high profile and that they’re going to stand out because of who they are. And, in that sense I thought he was saying they aren’t black or NFL players, but celebrities. :toofunny:

And now seeing Marvin’s clarification on Thursday, I wish he had been able to say it just like that. But he didn’t and paid a ludicrous price. :crying01:

Look, he’s a football coach. I’m not looking for him to be a latter-day silver –tongued William Jennings Bryan but, unfortunately, you have to be nowadays to survive the manholes of 24-hour news. is manholes anything like cornholes?

Of course he wasn’t dissing the Cincy police. Look at all the work he’s done in the community and all the work he’s done with the police and, like police everywhere, they do a hell of a thankless job.

But I think you’ve got to give him a mulligan for being upset on the turn signal. I think a lot of people are with him on that one. :busted:

Yet the most disturbing thing is how a few syllables from Lewis got stretched into a controversy while there is a full-scale problem sitting wide open in Kenton County that needs no context. now his words with distinct meaning are nothing more than mere incoherent "syllables"? :huh:

Flat out, here’s a judicial institution going public with a false accusation, which would, at the very least, seem to be a gross abuse of office. more defelection anyone?

And a head coach who has raised nearly $3 million for the community is getting flayed for a remark that has to be clarified? :jerkit:

He’s still got my respect. :thumbsup: (moron)

I sure wish these guys had a game tomorrow. It seems like that’s what everyone needs to get sane again. dont worry, bunglefans. theres always cornhole or watching marvin lewis play tonsil hockey with the local police department when he issues his next apology.

fansince'76
05-24-2007, 09:55 PM
I doubt I will get much disagreement here, so I hereby proudly proclaim Marvin Lewis as Steelers Fever's first ever

http://www.members.tripod.com/balinchainly/gifs/jackass.gif

Congratulations, Mr. Lewis. You've certainly earned it.

tony hipchest
05-24-2007, 10:12 PM
I doubt I will get much disagreement here, so I hereby proudly proclaim Marvin Lewis as Steelers Fever's first ever

http://www.members.tripod.com/balinchainly/gifs/jackass.gif

Congratulations, Mr. Lewis. You've certainly earned it.

well maybe not 1st ever...:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/pdouble79/asstrophy2.gif

:toofunny: (from our sf fantasy nascar league. thanks BB2W!)

fansince'76
05-24-2007, 10:23 PM
well maybe not 1st ever...:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/pdouble79/asstrophy2.gif

:toofunny: (from our sf fantasy nascar league. thanks BB2W!)

Aww, after I went through the trouble of "producing" that purty certificate and all - I'm crushed. :crying01: :toofunny:

Stlrs4Life
05-24-2007, 10:25 PM
People in Ohio never use there turn signals anyway.

Edman
05-24-2007, 11:17 PM
Stuck the foot in your mouth then suddenly backpedaled again, eh Black Jesus?

God, this guy is a freakin' joke. I never thought he would stoop so low to excuses, more whining, and the almighty race card. No wonder the Bengal players and their fans are so whiny. Ol' Marv rubbed off on them. Or could it be the other way around?

fansince'76
05-24-2007, 11:31 PM
Is this part of Marv's new "iron-fisted disciplinarian" policy? Yep, ol' Marv is becoming a regular knock-off of Vince Lombardi.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5823

:toofunny:

RoethlisBURGHer
05-24-2007, 11:38 PM
If profiling is stopping and arresting stupid criminals,then yes,his players are being profiled.

Just more deflection of blame in Bungal-land.

I actually feel bad for Carson Palmer.He's preaching accountability for your own actions,and his head coach is doing this type of crap.

I have a feeling when his contract is up,Palmer will be the QB on a different team.I just hope it's not the Ravens.

rbryan
05-24-2007, 11:51 PM
care to name thet "guy" marvin? could it be chris henry who WASNT SUPPOSED TO BE DRIVING IN THE 1ST PLACE???????

i cant believe this piece of shit actually has a job byond the high school level.

newsflash marvin! your players constantly get arrested because they constantly commit crimes. thanks for asking for a free pass though, you douchebag.

sure bengalfans will think i just dont like him cause he's the bengals coach, but i can honestly say brian billick and especially romeo crennell got nothing on this guy in terms of being so out of touch and delusional. he actually makes barry switzer look sane.

hey marvin! why dont you go try and board a plane with a .38 special in your coat so i can hear you bitch and whine that you were "profiled", when the agents have a foot in your back and a gun to the back of your head.

moron

Tell me how you really feel. Glad to see I'm not the only one. ML is a joke, Gotta laugh everytime I hear some clown on ESPN, NFL network etc... talk about what a great coach he is. More suited to be coaching girls jr hi soccer. I almost feel sorry for his goofy azz, being that he is from here.

rbryan
05-25-2007, 12:03 AM
If profiling is stopping and arresting stupid criminals,then yes,his players are being profiled.

Just more deflection of blame in Bungal-land.

I actually feel bad for Carson Palmer.He's preaching accountability for your own actions,and his head coach is doing this type of crap.

I have a feeling when his contract is up,Palmer will be the QB on a different team.I just hope it's not the Ravens.

Don't hold your breath. He's signed thru the next apocolypse. He'll be a Bunghole till da bitter end.

tony hipchest
05-25-2007, 12:11 AM
Don't hold your breath. He's signed thru the next apocolypse. He'll be a Bunghole till da bitter end.the bungles will gladly spend 1/5 of their total cap to keep the "white son of black jesus" for an extra 3 years. they are that dumb. they actually think that lewis and palmer are belichick and brady. :chicken:

fansince'76
05-25-2007, 12:48 AM
Don't hold your breath. He's signed thru the next apocolypse. He'll be a Bunghole till da bitter end.

the bungles will gladly spend 1/5 of their total cap to keep the "white son of black jesus" for an extra 3 years. they are that dumb. they actually think that lewis and palmer are belichick and brady. :chicken:

No, rbryan's right - they signed him to a 6-year extension in 2005, on top of the 3 years he still had to go on his deal at the time:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2274314

Carson ain't going anywhere for a while - quite a while. The sucker! :chuckle:

Preacher
05-25-2007, 01:30 AM
Wow.

The police are wrong... How DARE THEY pull people over for DISOBEYING TRAFFIC LAWS?

X-Terminator
05-25-2007, 02:24 AM
Every time I hear Marvin talk, I always think he'd make a great politician. Because they're the only other ones who can spew bullshit like this and have people believe it.

Livinginthe past
05-25-2007, 05:34 AM
I had the impression, some time ago, that Marvin was actually a pretty good guy.

Turns out he is one of the most destructive influences this Bengal organisation has to contend with.

In the past they were a bit of a laughing stock, being a Patriots fan I know what thats like, but the blatant attempt at 'short circuiting' the process that build great franchises has made them even more heavily derided.

I don't know how far up the ladder this lazy, shortsighted ethic towards franchise building goes but if some guys are disturbed by Marvins continued blinkered view (and they should be) of player discipline then you have to feel that he may be on a short shrift if he can't deliver a playoff win or 2 this year.

Just think - if this is the stuff the Marvin openly acknowledges to the media - who knows what craziness he preaches to the team in private.

Crushzilla
05-25-2007, 06:00 AM
I don't know how far up the ladder this lazy, shortsighted ethic towards franchise building goes but if some guys are disturbed by Marvins continued blinkered view (and they should be) of player discipline then you have to feel that he may be on a short shrift if he can't deliver a playoff win or 2 this year.

I'm going to venture a guess and say quite far, considering the questionably flawed characters that the F.O. keeps signing...

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-25-2007, 08:09 AM
What a piece of Garbage....you keep telling your players that the fault belongs to someone else Marvin....and we will watch your "innocent players self-destruct.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-25-2007, 08:12 AM
Just think - if this is the stuff the Marvin openly acknowledges to the media - who knows what craziness he preaches to the team in private.

Totally agree with the second statement....but I have to wonder if Marvins ability to bring this team to .500 puts him at God status in this city.

fansince'76
05-25-2007, 08:17 AM
Totally agree with the second statement....but I have to wonder if Marvins ability to bring this team to .500 puts him at God status in this city.

Not quite - he has achieved "Black Jesus" status, though! :toofunny:

RoethlisBURGHer
05-25-2007, 09:17 AM
Hold on,let me get this straight:

They were profiling Henry when he served alcohol to underage girls,got caught firing a gun,got caught with unregistered guns,when he was caught with marijuana,when he was caught puking out the window of Thurman's SUV because he was drunk.

Joseph was being profiled when he was caught with some weed.

Steinbach was being profiled when he was caught operating his boat on the ohio river while drunk.

Okay Marv...it all makes sense now.

Godfather
05-27-2007, 07:43 PM

To be fair, it's not really the race card. White Bengals can't stay off the police blotter either. :sofunny:

If the Cincy PD really is profiling Bungholes, that's good police work. They ought to keep the media guide next to the mugshot book for photo lineups.

83-Steelers-43
05-29-2007, 06:12 AM
Thank you Ron Cook....

Ron Cook: Too many people play blame game
Tuesday, May 29, 2007

By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Personal accountability got an early jump on the long holiday weekend, shamelessly vanishing Thursday from two different parts of the sports world. It's hard to say what was more despicable. That the father of dead St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Josh Han**** filed suit against just about everyone even though his son was a drunk driver in the automobile accident that killed him in the early hours of April 29? Or that Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis insinuated the nationwide perception that he has a team of criminals is, at least partially, due to profiling by Cincinnati police?

I haven't been this offended since the Stella Liebeck case.

You remember Stella Liebeck, don't you?

She's the Albuquerque, N.M., woman who was awarded $2.9 million by a jury after she sued McDonald's when she was scalded by a 49-cent cup of coffee.

Can't we all look in the mirror, folks?

Just once?

The view from here is Han**** is responsible for his death, no one else. His blood-alcohol level was 0.157, nearly twice Missouri's legal limit, when he rammed into the back of a flatbed tow truck stopped in a driving lane to assist a driver from another accident.

The overwhelming grief Han****'s family must be feeling is understandable, but it doesn't seem right that Dean Han**** has filed suit against a St. Louis restaurant, claiming that its employees kept serving his son drinks even though he was impaired. According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the suit alleges that Josh Han**** "regularly became visibly intoxicated" at the restaurant -- that's some admission, isn't it? -- and his intoxication "on said occasion was involuntary." What does that mean? Involuntary? Did the restaurant staff put a gun to Han****'s head and force him to keep drinking? Did the employees force him to go outside and put his key in his sport utility vehicle and drive off?

The elder Han****'s suit also names the tow truck company, the tow truck driver and the other accident victim as defendants, claiming they failed to remove their vehicles to the side of the highway in a timely fashion. The exact time frame is in dispute, but the tow truck had its warning lights flashing, according to the Post-Dispatch. It seems reasonable that Han**** might have been able to avoid the accident if he hadn't been intoxicated, if he hadn't been going 68 mph in a 55 zone and if he hadn't been talking on a his cell phone with a female acquaintance about meeting at another bar. (Han**** was not wearing a seat belt and marijuana was found in his vehicle, although toxicology reports showed he had only alcohol in his system at the time of the accident).

It would be harsh to suggest Han**** got what he deserved, but not by much. Thankfully, he didn't kill someone else, either at the crash scene or on the drive to it.

The story involving Lewis and the Bengals also is disturbing. On an ESPN radio show, Lewis accused the Cincinnati police of profiling his players after troubled wide receiver Chris Henry was pulled over in his vehicle for not signaling a turn. "I think there's profiling, no question," Lewis said.

At the time, it sounded very much like Lewis was playing the race card, but he vehemently denied that later, saying his remarks were in the context of his players being public figures. He also apologized in a statement released by the team and in a private telephone call with the Cincinnati police chief, saying his "comments did not illustrate the high regard I have for the Cincinnati Police Department."

Is that called covering your behind or what?

I don't profess to being an expert on profiling, but I do know if you are doing nothing wrong, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Profiling wasn't the reason nine Bengals were arrested over a nine-month period; poor judgment was. Henry, who has been suspended by the NFL for the first eight games of the 2007 season, was arrested four times, not once in Cincinnati.

Now that the long weekend is over and a new work week has begun, it's nice to think personal accountability will return.

You probably won't want to hold your breath, though.

You know how it works these days.

Why blame yourself when you can blame someone else?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07149/789730-87.stm

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
05-29-2007, 07:33 AM

agree...
:cheers: