PDA

View Full Version : Timmons frusturated with injury

Atlanta Dan
05-25-2007, 08:39 AM
This is just great

Pacing impatiently on the sideline at Steelers' South Side practice facility Thursday, linebacker Lawrence Timmons, the team's first-round draft pick from Florida State, watches and waits for his pulled groin to heal.

The injury he suffered in his first workout at the team's minicamp two weeks ago has kept him out of action -- and otherwise out of mind.

Timmons sat out his seventh consecutive workout yesterday -- a total that includes the four minicamp workouts he's missed since joining the Steelers.

Timmons' injury, suffered in the first hour of his first NFL workout, is severe enough to limit his physical activity and prevent him from playing at full speed.

"I don't think he can go out there right now, to be honest with you," [linebackers coach] Butler said. "The thing we want to be sure we don't do is have this be an ongoing problem, with him coming back too quick and repulling it.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_509405.html

So the first round pick arguably had conditioning issues when he got winded when working out for scouts prior to the draft and ran a slow 40; now he breaks down in his first workout. Not exactly what you want to read.

Hopefully he is a fast healer - I recall when Bettis injured his groin in November 2001 he did not play again until the AFC Championship game and was ineffective then. Bettis afterwards said it took the entire offseason to heal.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-25-2007, 08:56 AM
Good thing he's not projected to start this year if it is so major it would take that much time to heal.

I'd rather have him let it completley heal than come back early and keep on injuring it,a la Kendrell Bell.

Cape Cod Steel Head
05-25-2007, 09:12 AM
He does have youth on his side, so hopefully he will heal quickly.

Edman
05-25-2007, 10:16 AM
He wanted to impress so quickly, rushed into it, and injured himself. And now he's frustrated. Can't blame him. Timmons will be fine.

83-Steelers-43
05-25-2007, 10:17 AM
Not exactly the greatest news in the world, but let it completely heal and go from there.

TackleMeBen
05-25-2007, 10:31 AM
Maybe he can get some of Ben's mutant healing and come back in a week:thumbsup:

kochmanski
05-25-2007, 02:04 PM
Hey, I'm more excited about Woodley, anyway. He looks like a monster. And he's back out on the field, already.

rbryan
05-25-2007, 02:54 PM
Not good news, I would expect an immediate impact from a first round LB and not be happy to see him sit on the bench to learn for a year, it's not like he's playing QB. If he wasn't slated as a starter to begin with he shouldn't have been drafted.

Preacher
05-25-2007, 05:42 PM
He wanted to impress so quickly, rushed into it, and injured himself. And now he's frustrated. Can't blame him. Timmons will be fine.

I gotta agree.

Furthermore, that is typical for a groin injury. They just liner and linger. I Hate them.

polamalufan43
05-25-2007, 06:04 PM
I still have faith in him, for now. I rather have this happen now than during the season when we might need him.

~PF43:tt02:

83-Steelers-43
05-25-2007, 06:06 PM
It's May. The guy pulled a groin. It happens. I'm sure he will be ready to go come September.

TX Steel
05-25-2007, 06:07 PM
I want to see him play, but we have enough LBs in our arsenal now. Get him 100%.

It's good to see that he's wanting to get out there. Not uncommon for rookies on any team to rush things due to eagerness.

SteelCityMan786
05-25-2007, 09:24 PM
This is just great

Pacing impatiently on the sideline at Steelers' South Side practice facility Thursday, linebacker Lawrence Timmons, the team's first-round draft pick from Florida State, watches and waits for his pulled groin to heal.

The injury he suffered in his first workout at the team's minicamp two weeks ago has kept him out of action -- and otherwise out of mind.

Timmons sat out his seventh consecutive workout yesterday -- a total that includes the four minicamp workouts he's missed since joining the Steelers.

Timmons' injury, suffered in the first hour of his first NFL workout, is severe enough to limit his physical activity and prevent him from playing at full speed.

"I don't think he can go out there right now, to be honest with you," [linebackers coach] Butler said. "The thing we want to be sure we don't do is have this be an ongoing problem, with him coming back too quick and repulling it.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_509405.html

So the first round pick arguably had conditioning issues when he got winded when working out for scouts prior to the draft and ran a slow 40; now he breaks down in his first workout. Not exactly what you want to read.

Hopefully he is a fast healer - I recall when Bettis injured his groin in November 2001 he did not play again until the AFC Championship game and was ineffective then. Bettis afterwards said it took the entire offseason to heal.

I can't blame him for being frustrated. He just need to heal. Maybe he'll start this year if he works hard enough.

Elvis
05-26-2007, 09:38 PM
It's May. The guy pulled a groin. It happens. I'm sure he will be ready to go come September.
Yeah.. I have to agree with ya myself. There is plenty of time to get healed up and get things right with him without throwing him in there at 70 percent or so and not having him all year. This just may give time to the other LB's on this team to have their time to impress our coaches for their very own playing time..Things happen for a reason folks...
:tt02::tt02::tt02:

SteelCzar76
05-27-2007, 12:26 AM
So the first round pick arguably had conditioning issues when he got winded when working out for scouts prior to the draft and ran a slow 40; now he breaks down in his first workout.

It's "nothin" Dan. Don't you realize that because Timmons was drafted by us that any shortcomings that he had regarding measurables and or conditioning, along with his inability to crack the starting lineup until late in his collegiate years on a FSU roster that was but a mere shadow of it's former self,.......are now null and void ?

fansince'76
05-27-2007, 01:22 AM
I just hope and pray this kid doesn't turn out to be another Huey Richardson.

Preacher
05-27-2007, 01:34 AM
It's "nothin" Dan. Don't you realize that because Timmons was drafted by us that any shortcomings that he had regarding measurables and or conditioning, along with his inability to crack the starting lineup until late in his collegiate years on a FSU roster that was but a mere shadow of it's former self,.......are now null and void ?

Some are late-bloomers... either because of genetics or maturity. Others just don't click into a system. SO I don't consider his not breaking into the starting lineup until late in his college career a big problem.

Also... I have had pulled groin muscles... both when I was in shape and NOT in shape. I don't think it necessarily points to conditioning.

SteelCzar76
05-27-2007, 02:31 AM
Some are late-bloomers... either because of genetics or maturity. Others just don't click into a system. SO I don't consider his not breaking into the starting lineup until late in his college career a big problem.

Also... I have had pulled groin muscles... both when I was in shape and NOT in shape. I don't think it necessarily points to conditioning.

So what your saying Padre is that Timmons just did'nt 'click' into a system (Bowden's) that is predicated most purely upon speed and and athleticism because of a lack of maturity ?
And that he was absoloutely in the best condition that he could possibly be in for all of his pre draft workouts,.....as to compensate for his lack of height, weight and aforementioned speed ?
Don't get me wrong,...'measurables' don't always make the player. As more often than not this is a matter of will and application. But with that said,.... i would like to see you,...or anyone else here give two reasons as to why Timmons deserved to be our 1st round selection with the 15th pick,...other than "Hey,...he's the guy we selected,....I love him !" LOL

tony hipchest
05-27-2007, 02:46 AM
So what your saying Padre is that Timmons just did'nt 'click' into a system (Bowden's) that is predicated most purely upon speed and and athleticism because of a lack of maturity ?
And that he was absoloutely in the best condition that he could possibly be in for all of his pre draft workouts,.....as to compensate for his lack of height, weight and aforementioned speed ?
Don't get me wrong,...'measurables' don't always make the player. As more often than not this is a matter of will and application. But with that said,.... i would like to see you,...or anyone else here give two reasons as to why Timmons deserved to be our 1st round selection with the 15th pick,...other than "Hey,...he's the guy we selected,....I love him !" LOLi think timmons was drafted cause we were drafting for need, and not neccesarily taking the best player on the board. as time passes, i sure hope revis woulda been our pick if the jets didnt snooker us (or atleast we wouldve traded the #15 to the jets so they coulda picked him and we get some value in return.)

timmons is ours now, and its up to tomlin to caoch him up to something bowden didnt.

SteelerMurf
05-27-2007, 09:27 AM
Timmons sat behind some good defensive talent the last couple years. How many years straight now have they had a LB go in the first round?

I say let him heal. I don't care if he doesn't practice until training camp.

paw-n-maul-u
05-27-2007, 01:34 PM
Don't get me wrong,...'measurables' don't always make the player. As more often than not this is a matter of will and application. But with that said,.... i would like to see you,...or anyone else here give two reasons as to why Timmons deserved to be our 1st round selection with the 15th pick,...other than "Hey,...he's the guy we selected,....I love him !" LOL

Reasons:

1-I think we needed an OLB. Someone else must have also, considering they drafted 2 in the first 2 rounds.

2- All this nonsense about him being a late bloomer is absolute BULLLLLLLLLLLLLL. period.
Do you even know who he played behind at Florida State? Before "cracking" the starting line up? Kamerion Wimbley and Ernie Simms. Man, talk about some stiff competition. He only had to fight for time against TWO FIRST ROUND TOP FIFTEEN PICKS.

How did those two picks turn out??

Wimbley- 11 sacks.
Sims- 124 tackles.

AS ROOKIES.

FSU a shell of its former self??? Without doing ANY research at all, I would bet to say that FSU has had more defensive players taken in the first 2 rounds of the NFL draft the past three years than any other college. That offense might be a mess, but their defense is just as fast and dominating as ever. Last year was a down year for the whole ACC.

and last but not least ... Hey!, he IS the guy we selected. Gotta love em'.

ajs8207
05-27-2007, 02:57 PM
Theres a while until training camp...he should be fine by then

SteelCzar76
05-27-2007, 10:13 PM
Reasons:

1-I think we needed an OLB. Someone else must have also, considering they drafted 2 in the first 2 rounds.

2- All this nonsense about him being a late bloomer is absolute BULLLLLLLLLLLLLL. period.
Do you even know who he played behind at Florida State? Before "cracking" the starting line up? Kamerion Wimbley and Ernie Simms. Man, talk about some stiff competition. He only had to fight for time against TWO FIRST ROUND TOP FIFTEEN PICKS.

How did those two picks turn out??

Wimbley- 11 sacks.
Sims- 124 tackles.

AS ROOKIES.

FSU a shell of its former self??? Without doing ANY research at all, I would bet to say that FSU has had more defensive players taken in the first 2 rounds of the NFL draft the past three years than any other college. That offense might be a mess, but their defense is just as fast and dominating as ever. Last year was a down year for the whole ACC.

and last but not least ... Hey!, he IS the guy we selected. Gotta love em'.

Hmmm,....let's see,.....FSU 2003=3 losses, 2004=3 losses, 2005=5 losses, and last season 6 losses. Your right Paw FSU appears to be in very good shape. How could i have failed to make note of such 'progression' ?

With that said,....back to your reasoning. Could it not be argued that our 'need' at OLB could have been filled by moving up and taking the best backer period in Patrick Willis ? Or by taking one of at least three other Lb's (that will all most likely end up as better pros than Timmons),..... that were available after the first including Woodley ? Oh that's right,.....we did take Woodley in the 2nd. LOL

As far as him having to play behind Wimbley and Simms. They are both 'solid' players but neither were of the quality of say a,.... John Vilma,.. on the collegiate level. (Though Wimbley has a great deal of upside)

Bottom line,....that's no excuse.

paw-n-maul-u
05-28-2007, 04:05 AM
Weakkkkkkkk ... FSU hasn't done squat on offense. Their defense is the only thing that keeps them in games.

Patrick Willis=No speath and or Sepulveda, mcbean, gay ... someone.

We needed all of our picks this year. I think Nolan had his heart set on willis so it might have even meant no woodley.

Solid players? they played on an absolutely STACKED defense ... and both with in the top 13 picks. I dunno man, I dont think timmons would have lasted that much longer considering beason went what, ten picks later? I doubt timmons would have lasted much longer. He was the best OLB in the draft and the steelers got their guy. They needed a better pass rush. period. Our secondary has so much talent, but that doesn't mean squat when you cant get any pressure on the QB. Timmons and Woodley are going to make people think, peezy who?