PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Bettis no go for Tennessee game

Koopa
09-06-2005, 08:21 PM
well at least staley might be able to back up willie, but i doubt he'll play too.

PITTSBURGH (Sept. 6, 2005) -- Pittsburgh Steelers running back Jerome Bettis won't play in the Sept. 11 season opener against Tennessee because of the strained right calf that kept him out of the team's final preseason game.

With Bettis and Duce Staley (knee surgery) hurting, coach Bill Cowher said No. 3 running back Willie Parker will make his first career start. Parker, a college backup at North Carolina, ran for 102 yards against Buffalo on Jan. 2 in his only extensive playing time as a rookie.

Staley hasn't been ruled out -- he is listed as questionable -- but missed the entire preseason and has practiced only once with the team since training camp began.

Pro Bowl linebacker Joey Porter, who, like Staley, had knee surgery a week into camp, is further along in his rehabilitation than Staley and practiced Sept. 5. He is also listed as questionable.

Bettis, the No. 5 rusher in NFL history, took over for the injured Staley midway through last season and missed a ninth 1,000-yard season by 59 yards despite starting only six games.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/PIT/8813144

Suitanim
09-06-2005, 08:25 PM
This is no surprise...Parker starts. We may be witnessing the birth of a star...

BlitzburghRockCity
09-06-2005, 08:44 PM
Yeah Im not sure many of us actually thought the Bus would be ready for this game. We hoped but down inside it was a real long shot.

Parker has a shot to really make a name for himself and push for more playing time when Staley and Bettis are healthy, so its up to him to take full advantage of it. He's got the OL to block for him and team that believes in the run so he's got all he needs.

Prosdo
09-06-2005, 09:46 PM
I really do hope he busts out and gets some more playing time. As long as he doesn't get to anxious and waits for the holes to open up he should be good to go.

Black-n-Gold
09-06-2005, 10:28 PM
They'll look to him alot, Roethlisberger will probably start off slow. So hopefully Parker has a good game and shows what he's made of.

SteelR1
09-06-2005, 10:36 PM
I really hope Parder has a decent game. Show everybody that when the BUS is gone we still have a running game...

Good Luck Parker!!!!!!!!

SteelersfaninPhilly
09-08-2005, 04:05 PM
Come on Parker, rolled the dice and took him on my FF team.