PDA

View Full Version : Real Sports piece on concussions.

Jeremy
05-25-2007, 05:24 PM
Has anyone seen it? Sad sad state of affairs. I hope Goodell will take the time to give this issue the attention it deserves.

Atlanta Dan
05-25-2007, 05:49 PM
I saw it as well - seemed to be based a lot on a series of New York Times articles on the problem.

There have been several threads here that have discussed how concussions are a ticking bomb for the NFL, which is why the NFL and its poodle union the NFLPA fight Mike Webster's family and anyone else that tries to max out disability benefits by claiming they are totally disabled from brain injury when the player retires from the league.

One of the most graphic descriptions of how bad it can be can be heard from Merrill Hoge, who fortunately retired before being badly damaged.

rich4eagle
05-25-2007, 06:01 PM
Who cares conscussions are obviously a major issue in football........cause the end result is a person who cannot function mentally...........but hell..........they put that under the rug........cause god forbid .....suspend a star for a year or two years or life........for making him eligible for da da doo doo after fifty........IS WAY OK............but smoking dope is another matter.............kill the bastidge

HYPOCRITICAL TO the utmost

polamalufan43
05-25-2007, 06:03 PM
Well, IMO this is a big issue for the NFL. Although I have only heard about the said piece, it seems very interesting.

~PF43:tt02:

stillers4me
05-25-2007, 08:30 PM
I hope Tomlin is more concerned about our boy's noggins from now on than Cowher was last year with Ben's and Troy's.

revefsreleets
05-25-2007, 08:40 PM
This has been a hot potato for years. I read that the Patriots have a doctor who invented some kind of weird mouthpiece that practically prevents concussions. It's not a horrible idea to check and see if this thing really works and maybe implement it for the whole league.

Jeremy
05-25-2007, 08:43 PM
This has been a hot potato for years. I read that the Patriots have a doctor who invented some kind of weird mouthpiece that practically prevents concussions. It's not a horrible idea to check and see if this thing really works and maybe implement it for the whole league.

Ironic considering that "Win At All Costs" Bellicheck did to Ted Johnson.

revefsreleets
05-25-2007, 08:55 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2006/03/30/with_mouthpiece_dentist_tackles_concussions/?page=1

PisnNapalm
05-25-2007, 09:27 PM
Who cares conscussions are obviously a major issue in football........cause the end result is a person who cannot function mentally...........but hell..........they put that under the rug........cause god forbid .....suspend a star for a year or two years or life........for making him eligible for da da doo doo after fifty........IS WAY OK............but smoking dope is another matter.............kill the bastidge

HYPOCRITICAL TO the utmost

can......someone...........translate this......for.....me?

Football is a violent game. Hell... I dare say it's safer now than 30 years ago. Hits that were legal and praised back then would get a player fined or possibly suspended now. Anyone remember the Swann clothesline by George Atkinson?

Players know the risks and they choose to accept them.

As for "smoking" weed. It is illegal. No doubts there. They break the law they need to be punished like anyone else.